PDA

View Full Version : The problem w/ recruiting...

Dr Death
08-23-2011, 09:30 AM
Okay, so I decided I needed a new challenge and took over as HC at :New_Mexico_State: and they are about as bad as you can get. In the pre-season polls we were ranked # 117... :fp: But, using my offense, chewing clock, keeping my D rested, I felt I could build this team up. Their roster showed 7 WR's total. For someone who plays 5-Wide, I need like 11-12 WR's. So I took the fastest RB and made him a WR before I started the dynasty. I didn't change anything about him, other than his position. That gave me 8 WR's and 4 are Seniors.

So... I am recruiting the hell out of WR's... 15 total, and 6 of those are 5-star WR's. Several 4-star's too. I am hoping to land just one of the 4/5-star's. If I get just one, my offense will increase significantly next year. Should I land two, then my offense will really be good.

I am in week 8... the second guy on my list, a 5-star Possession WR has me first, :Oklahoma: second. I promised him the moon, as I have all the 5-star players. Here's the problem w/ recruiting. I am in week 8 and it gave my the option to choose which pitch I wanted. And Playing Time was listed as Unknown. I have A+ for playing time, while :Oklahoma: has a D. It took 8 f*cking weeks to find this little nugget out? Talking every week w/ him, 1 hour each time, and it's 8 f*cking weeks to be able to promote playing time???

And this roulette wheel crap... It will pop up Program Tradition, or whatever it's called, and of course mine is D+. I hit Change Topic. It brings up another D+ topic, I hit Change again, and it goes right back to Tradition. WTF is this?

They need to do away w/ this style and go back to letting us have control over which pitches are made.

Another thing... one guy has Proximity To Home as Most, and I have an A+ for that too... my only two good pitches for most of these guys, and when I try to promote this he says: 'I see what you're saying coach, it's just not that big of a deal for me.'

F*cking really? It's Most on his list but it's not a "big deal?"

Recruiting sucks and they need to go back to the old way and give us the Football Face again. This new style isn't even realistic. It's just a total crap shoot, and if you're a low-tiered team, you're almost guaranteed to get screwed. 8 f*cking weeks to talk to this kid about how his playing time w/ me would be immediate! Unf*ckingbelievable.

psusnoop
08-23-2011, 09:40 AM
Isn't going after :5star: talent for the #117 ranked team a little bit far fetched? I believe they are :1star: as well.

Having said that, yes I would like to be able to promote my good stuff all the time but it was a little bit to easy before because once you unlocked the Most, Very High and High that is all that anyone would go after. And to boot many did this dishonestly for to long and it really made things really lopsided.

I also recruit to my level (If I'm a :1star: I'll recruit a handful of :3star: talent if they have me on their board and take a few long shots if I have extra time which doesn't happen that often). I do this to keep things realistic and it's just the way I've always done it. Win big games, up my School's prestige and then I can go after better recruits. Just keeps thing way more interesting for me. Just my opinion.

morsdraconis
08-23-2011, 09:48 AM
Well, it's not totally unrealistic for a low tiered school to get a :4star: or :5star: recruit (Indiana just did and they're a :2star: school). While, I agree you shouldn't be able to rake in them, occasionally pulling one off that is in your state (obviously one was as he had an A+ proximity rating) that also really wants to have playing time is certainly fine with me. That's the beauty of recruiting is pulling one out of no where.

I completely agree on the roulette wheel shit. It's beyond ridiculous and has completely killed recruiting for me. I get so sick of it, I just let the CPU recruit half the time because of how annoying it all is. That said, the football face shit was just as bad because of how easy it was to exploit. I have no problem with the new setup of having anywhere from 10 minutes to 60 minutes to spend on one recruit and that's it. That part is great, but just get rid of the roulette wheel shit. It's highly unrealistic. Just make it where once you hit a topic for that 10 minutes, you can't do it again for the rest of the call. It's really that simple. Let us do whatever we want whenever we want for that 10-60 minute window, just make it where, once a topic is used, you can't choose it again. Fixes EVERYTHING that's a fuckin' issue with recruiting.

Dr Death
08-23-2011, 09:51 AM
It's far-fetched if I was going after all positions, but for WR's in my offense... not so much. Like I said, I am hoping to land just one of the 4/5-star kids. Right now I have one who has me as his # 1. I am # 2 on several of their lists. It's like anything in life... if you don't shoot for the moon, you'll never get it. You want to date the ugliest girl in school? Fine, go for it. But why not ask the 15 most beautiful out... you never know when one will say yes.

HWill
08-23-2011, 10:01 AM
Okay, so I decided I needed a new challenge and took over as HC at :New_Mexico_State: and they are about as bad as you can get. In the pre-season polls we were ranked # 117... :fp: But, using my offense, chewing clock, keeping my D rested, I felt I could build this team up. Their roster showed 7 WR's total. For someone who plays 5-Wide, I need like 11-12 WR's. So I took the fastest RB and made him a WR before I started the dynasty. I didn't change anything about him, other than his position. That gave me 8 WR's and 4 are Seniors.

So... I am recruiting the hell out of WR's... 15 total, and 6 of those are 5-star WR's. Several 4-star's too. I am hoping to land just one of the 4/5-star's. If I get just one, my offense will increase significantly next year. Should I land two, then my offense will really be good.

I am in week 8... the second guy on my list, a 5-star Possession WR has me first, :Oklahoma: second. I promised him the moon, as I have all the 5-star players. Here's the problem w/ recruiting. I am in week 8 and it gave my the option to choose which pitch I wanted. And Playing Time was listed as Unknown. I have A+ for playing time, while :Oklahoma: has a D. It took 8 f*cking weeks to find this little nugget out? Talking every week w/ him, 1 hour each time, and it's 8 f*cking weeks to be able to promote playing time???

And this roulette wheel crap... It will pop up Program Tradition, or whatever it's called, and of course mine is D+. I hit Change Topic. It brings up another D+ topic, I hit Change again, and it goes right back to Tradition. WTF is this?

They need to do away w/ this style and go back to letting us have control over which pitches are made.

Another thing... one guy has Proximity To Home as Most, and I have an A+ for that too... my only two good pitches for most of these guys, and when I try to promote this he says: 'I see what you're saying coach, it's just not that big of a deal for me.'

F*cking really? It's Most on his list but it's not a "big deal?"

Recruiting sucks and they need to go back to the old way and give us the Football Face again. This new style isn't even realistic. It's just a total crap shoot, and if you're a low-tiered team, you're almost guaranteed to get screwed. 8 f*cking weeks to talk to this kid about how his playing time w/ me would be immediate! Unf*ckingbelievable.

Well, it's not totally unrealistic for a low tiered school to get a :4star: or :5star: recruit (Indiana just did and they're a :2star: school). While, I agree you shouldn't be able to rake in them, occasionally pulling one off that is in your state (obviously one was as he had an A+ proximity rating) that also really wants to have playing time is certainly fine with me. That's the beauty of recruiting is pulling one out of no where.

I completely agree on the roulette wheel shit. It's beyond ridiculous and has completely killed recruiting for me. I get so sick of it, I just let the CPU recruit half the time because of how annoying it all is. That said, the football face shit was just as bad because of how easy it was to exploit. I have no problem with the new setup of having anywhere from 10 minutes to 60 minutes to spend on one recruit and that's it. That part is great, but just get rid of the roulette wheel shit. It's highly unrealistic. Just make it where once you hit a topic for that 10 minutes, you can't do it again for the rest of the call. It's really that simple. Let us do whatever we want whenever we want for that 10-60 minute window, just make it where, once a topic is used, you can't choose it again. Fixes EVERYTHING that's a fuckin' issue with recruiting.

:+1: This is why I don't even do recruiting anymore. I just let the CPU take care of it and I play with who they give me.

WarEagle
08-24-2011, 01:24 PM
Since about halfway through the '11 game cycle, I've advocated some type of weighted system: a recruit's Most carries more weight and thusly would have higher odds at coming up on the roulette wheel than his Least. The simplest way to implement it would be to keep it heavily one-sided, w/ the recruit, like it is now. The more complicated version would be to incorporate your own school's 'odds' (A+ carrying more weight than D+) in with the recruit's odds-based weights.
That said, the 1-&-done idea you're proposing could work quite well. I wouldn't use the term often, but there are times when I'm fleshing out topics where I may pass on an A+ early in a call when I feel like I can live with the odds of finding a new Very High against maybe coming up with a Very Low instead. W/ a 1&done, it'd be a guarantee I'd never see that A+ again so the odds I'm playing with to flesh out more topics could swing drastically, making me think very, very hard about taking the points vs. chancing I'd get a green recruit topic. I like this!

keyser soze
08-24-2011, 01:27 PM
Does the game care about your style of play? If I pass a lot will WRs be more inclined to come versus if I only run? I am pretty sure the answer to this is a resounding NO since I almost NEVER passed in my first 2 seasons yet the only 5-star recruits I have gotten are WRs. I thought EA had this functionality in the game at one point or am I simply dreaming?

AustinWolv
08-24-2011, 01:37 PM
It's far-fetched if I was going after all positions, but for WR's in my offense... not so much.
Did the real Texas Tech under Leach pull 5star receivers very often?
Me thinks no.

edit: Just checked Rivals. From 2002-2009, TT pulled 3 4star WRs (one was Michael Crabtree who was actually listed as an Athlete, not WR). They got zero 5star WRs.

Does the game care about your style of play?
It was tied to your coach playcalling tendency slider IIRC, in the past at least. Maybe offensive style too.

keyser soze
08-24-2011, 01:58 PM
It would be cool to see colleges who use the QBs to RUN get running QBs, etc....

PDuncanOSU
08-24-2011, 02:05 PM
I think recruiting should stay with the 1-6 topics/10 minutes per topic system. Instead of the roulette system to pick the topic though, there should be a mix of "recruit picks" and "coach picks." The recruits interest in topics he picks would be "above average" or higher with no regard to what the schools rating is. The "coaches picks" would work just like they do now, where you as the coach/recruiter can pick any topic you want.

jaymo76
08-24-2011, 02:52 PM
:+1: This is why I don't even do recruiting anymore. I just let the CPU take care of it and I play with who they give me.

After I win a NC I usually switch to this philosophy. I just find it so tedious... but to each his own I guess.

steelerfan
08-24-2011, 03:12 PM
Isn't going after :5star: talent for the #117 ranked team a little bit far fetched? I believe they are :1star: as well.

Having said that, yes I would like to be able to promote my good stuff all the time but it was a little bit to easy before because once you unlocked the Most, Very High and High that is all that anyone would go after. And to boot many did this dishonestly for to long and it really made things really lopsided.

I also recruit to my level (If I'm a :1star: I'll recruit a handful of :3star: talent if they have me on their board and take a few long shots if I have extra time which doesn't happen that often). I do this to keep things realistic and it's just the way I've always done it. Win big games, up my School's prestige and then I can go after better recruits. Just keeps thing way more interesting for me. Just my opinion.

I agree with this.

People want to choose what they talk about, but then say "it's too easy to have the top class". What the heck do you want?

If we had a system that allowed us to choose topics, we'd rape the CPU. If we didn't rape the CPU, everyone would cry, "I talked to this guy for an hour every week and only about 'Very Highs' and 'Mosts' and he signed elsewhere. The CPU cheated me!" Tough shit.

I'll take the current system over horsefucking the CPU any day.

If you want 5* WRs at a #117 school, set your recruiting difficulty to Freshman (or whatever the lowest setting is). I would normally say "set it to Varsity" for that effect, but by your results, I suspect you're already there.

griffin2608
08-24-2011, 03:48 PM
If you are rebuilding a 1* school never mind.....

keyser soze
08-24-2011, 04:29 PM
would make zero sense to only be able to talk to a recruit about subjects you want to talk about. Its the coach that recruits the kid not vice-versa so in real life you have to show the kid what he wants to see and answer HIS questions, not your own. IMO EA actually has THIS particular portion of the game pretty well done.. or at least NOT BROKEN.

As for the ratings of the incoming kids = broken IMO.

Dr Death
08-24-2011, 06:30 PM
would make zero sense to only be able to talk to a recruit about subjects you want to talk about. Its the coach that recruits the kid not vice-versa so in real life you have to show the kid what he wants to see and answer HIS questions, not your own. IMO EA actually has THIS particular portion of the game pretty well done.. or at least NOT BROKEN.

Do you really believe that a kid would talk about Academic Prestige week after week when it's Least on his board of subjects? And take 8 weeks to say... Hey, Coach, how much playing time can I expect my first year? Come on man... this "roulette wheel" is a joke and needs to be fixed.

Did the real Texas Tech under Leach pull 5star receivers very often?
Me thinks no.

edit: Just checked Rivals. From 2002-2009, TT pulled 3 4star WRs (one was Michael Crabtree who was actually listed as an Athlete, not WR). They got zero 5star WRs.

Perhaps you missed the part where I mentioned that I was going after 4-stars too. Look... it's like this... :New_Mexico_State: sucks. I realize this. But they aren't going to get past the sucking stage if I only recruit 1-star and 2-star kids. You have to aim high... it's this way in everything. If you want to get anywhere, you aim high. I knew I wasn't going to land all of these guys... I was hoping for one and would be ecstatic w/ two... right now I have 1 5-star WR who has me first on his list. For year one, that's doing good. Next season I'll hope for two or three and slowly build this team, which hasn't been to a bowl game since 1960, back up.

psusnoop
08-24-2011, 06:47 PM

:+1: spot on Keyser.

psusnoop
08-24-2011, 06:53 PM
Do you really believe that a kid would talk about Academic Prestige week after week when it's Least on his board of subjects? And take 8 weeks to say... Hey, Coach, how much playing time can I expect my first year? Come on man... this "roulette wheel" is a joke and needs to be fixed.

Perhaps you missed the part where I mentioned that I was going after 4-stars too. Look... it's like this... :New_Mexico_State: sucks. I realize this. But they aren't going to get past the sucking stage if I only recruit 1-star and 2-star kids. You have to aim high... it's this way in everything. If you want to get anywhere, you aim high. I knew I wasn't going to land all of these guys... I was hoping for one and would be ecstatic w/ two... right now I have 1 5-star WR who has me first on his list. For year one, that's doing good. Next season I'll hope for two or three and slowly build this team, which hasn't been to a bowl game since 1960, back up.

Honestly I've always built a :1star: team by going after :2star: and :3star: talent then as I win more games I build up my prestige and can aim slightly higher but not much.

Then again as a :1star: it may take me a year or two to even reach a bowl game. I'm in it for the long haul when I start low, not a quick fix.

Dr Death
08-24-2011, 07:46 PM
Honestly I've always built a :1star: team by going after :2star: and :3star: talent then as I win more games I build up my prestige and can aim slightly higher but not much.

Then again as a :1star: it may take me a year or two to even reach a bowl game. I'm in it for the long haul when I start low, not a quick fix.

I wish the Internet had voice activation so we could just talk... it would be so much easier. I'm not looking for a quick fix. I'm looking for really good WR's since I run 5-Wide and throw a boat load of passes every year. My best receiver is like a 69 and he's a Senior. I've played 11 games and my WR's have been counted as having 70 drops... there's probably another 35-45 that the computer hasn't counted. Right now it's averaging around 9-10 a game. Guys wide open, they just drop the ball. I need one reliable guy so I can convert 3rd downs and have one guy who I can depend on in crunch time.

And to answer the question someone asked somewhere else... yes, when WR's see how much I throw the ball, they place me in their list of schools. I have a 4-star QB who has me 3rd... behind :Oklahoma: and :Texas:. It's because he sees how much I throw. RB's... they don't want to come to my school... which is A-OK w/ me since I only run when way ahead.

JeffHCross
08-24-2011, 08:04 PM
F*cking really? It's Most on his list but it's not a "big deal?"That's just a database entry. Ignore it.

give us the Football Face again.Will never happen.

psusnoop
08-24-2011, 08:55 PM
I wish the Internet had voice activation so we could just talk... it would be so much easier. I'm not looking for a quick fix. I'm looking for really good WR's since I run 5-Wide and throw a boat load of passes every year. My best receiver is like a 69 and he's a Senior. I've played 11 games and my WR's have been counted as having 70 drops... there's probably another 35-45 that the computer hasn't counted. Right now it's averaging around 9-10 a game. Guys wide open, they just drop the ball. I need one reliable guy so I can convert 3rd downs and have one guy who I can depend on in crunch time.

And to answer the question someone asked somewhere else... yes, when WR's see how much I throw the ball, they place me in their list of schools. I have a 4-star QB who has me 3rd... behind :Oklahoma: and :Texas:. It's because he sees how much I throw. RB's... they don't want to come to my school... which is A-OK w/ me since I only run when way ahead.

Voice chat forums would be interesting :D

Yea understand you want someone more reliable but you can find decent :3star: talent to fulfill those needs while you build your program up over the years.

keyser soze
08-25-2011, 07:26 AM

While I do get what you are saying if they implemented it the way you suggested AND gave the CPU a decent AI so that they maximized their benefits, there would be almost zero randomness to recruiting and you would simply end up with whoever liked you most to start. They need to have some sort of randomness so you have a chance to land a kid who you start at #4 on. If everyone can simply pitch their best stuff and there is any other school in front of you who is your size, then it would become impossible to ever move up. Sure you would then complain about that right?

Dr Death
08-25-2011, 09:56 AM
No, I think I am being misunderstood here. :D Here's what a real recruiting situation would look/feel like...

Coach walks into house, greets parents.

"Hello Mr. and Mrs. Walker, I am coach Leach, thanks for inviting me to your home."

"Hello Coach Leach, how are you?"

"Doing good."

"Well, here's Michael, we know you have lots to talk about, so we'll leave you two alone."

"Great. Thanks"

Coach and player walk into living room and sit down. Coach starts out one of two ways; either he starts talking up all the advantages of his school or, asks the kid, 'What are you looking for in your college experience?'

In either scenario, eventually you get to the point where the kid starts talking about the things that mean the most to him. Some have aspirations to go pro, like the aforementioned Crabtree, others don't, but love football and want to play college ball. After say, an hour, the coach leaves knowing what is most important to the kid and what isn't, or at least, he should. Examples where this could not happen would be either the coach isn't doing his job properly or the kid is evasive and difficult to get a read on.

But... in the future, the coach calls/visits the kid and he's going to talk about the things that are most appealing to the kid. If playing time is one and the team and coach see this kid as coming in and starting right away, this is something they will talk about a lot, because it benefits both parties. Right now, w/ the "roulette wheel" we have no say in what gets brought up and only have 3 change subject choices... so there are times where you run out of changes and are stuck w/ the kids's least favorite thing... if you try to promote it or "sway" him on it, he'll say, "This is already a bad choice coach, I don't know why you keep bringing it up!"

WTF??? I didn't bring it up, this stupid ass, broken roulette wheel gave me no other choices.

The old way was better because you had control, like a real coach. If I am recruiting a kid and know that Academic Prestige, Coach Prestige and Fans are his least important things, I am damn well not going to call him up and harp on these things. The old way would also "lock" certain topics if you tried to pound on them too often in one call.

They also need to add more stuff to recruiting. Some kids play college football because they eventually want to coach. Maybe he's a 2-star player, but he wants to coach. This could be a great pitch to use and also, say your kid graduates and 10 years later is making a name for himself as an OC or DC or maybe even as a HC. This would then elevate your prestige because it would be part of your "coaching tree."

So maybe that 2-star kid isn't the fastest or the best, but he has extremely high awareness because of his knowledge of the game and his future aspirations of coaching. A kid like that could be helpful on the field.

Overall, recruiting is NOT right. It's totally FUBAR and needs a major overhaul. I get so tired of a kid having "Most" on a topic, it gets brought up and then the kid says, "You made your point coach, it's just not that big of a deal for me."

What? Your "Most" isn't a big deal? Come on EA...

Other things that need to be changed are Playing Time. If I have 11 WR's on my team and am recruiting a 5-star WR who is going to start from day one, I should be able to tell him, 'Look, we pass a lot and you would fit in great here because your hands, your route running and your speed. Don't worry about the depth chart, you will start."

We should also have the option of telling a kid, "Our offense is complex. Your first year we will red-shirt you but that's because we are loaded at WR and we want you to learn the offense so that your second year, your first year playing in the system, you are excelling at your absolute best."

There's a lot that needs to be done to make recruiting better.

Dr Death
08-25-2011, 10:07 AM
Voice chat forums would be interesting :D

Yea understand you want someone more reliable but you can find decent :3star: talent to fulfill those needs while you build your program up over the years.

After taking :New_Mexico_State: to a 10-3 record and their first bowl game since 1960!!! I was offered an extension. I was so distraught w/ the amount of dropped passes and sacks because of the crappy players, I turned their extension down. :SMU: OC Dan Morrison then left :SMU: to be HC somewhere and I got the :SMU: OC job. So this will be much better. This team already has a ton of WR's and I figured out why my Dynasty's kept freezing up... this is my 3rd attempt at starting a Dynasty.

If you have more than one Dynasty... you will get games freezing up. I had been OC at :Idaho: and then left for :SMU: and saved the file as SMU but also had the old Idaho file. The games kept freezing up. By having only one active dynasty, I never get any freezes. So I am an OC but at a school I love and in a much better position than :New_Mexico_State:.

I feel liberated! :D :D :D

oweb26
08-25-2011, 10:35 AM
WTF??? I didn't bring it up, this stupid ass, broken roulette wheel gave me no other choices.

The old way was better because you had control, like a real coach. If I am recruiting a kid and know that Academic Prestige, Coach Prestige and Fans are his least important things, I am damn well not going to call him up and harp on these things. The old way would also "lock" certain topics if you tried to pound on them too often in one call.

They also need to add more stuff to recruiting. Some kids play college football because they eventually want to coach. Maybe he's a 2-star player, but he wants to coach. This could be a great pitch to use and also, say your kid graduates and 10 years later is making a name for himself as an OC or DC or maybe even as a HC. This would then elevate your prestige because it would be part of your "coaching tree."

So maybe that 2-star kid isn't the fastest or the best, but he has extremely high awareness because of his knowledge of the game and his future aspirations of coaching. A kid like that could be helpful on the field.

Overall, recruiting is NOT right. It's totally FUBAR and needs a major overhaul. I get so tired of a kid having "Most" on a topic, it gets brought up and then the kid says, "You made your point coach, it's just not that big of a deal for me."

What? Your "Most" isn't a big deal? Come on EA....

I tired to follow all of that I got kind of bored right in the middle. J/P

Anyway the way you would like recruiting is asking alot, moreso asking me to do alot after each week, shit i get tired of doing what we have now and I love recruiting.

I think the three changed is fine the way it is, because I look at those changes as a gamble you might get something better you might get something worse, I think what pisses me off the most is when I get the three changes and they are all negative changes. I do agree the old way was more efficient and that way you didnt have the chance of failure, but it was really a battle of who was able to give the recruit the most time, I think the "roulette wheel" actually gives smaller schools a better chance because they can give him more time and also get lucky on some random pitches.

Lastly you actually read what they say?? I never read that shit because it doesn't make any sense and it is also so random that it frequently doesn't match the pitch.
Just because you throw the ball shouldn't have a big impact on top QB's wanting to come to your school, if that is the case every spread no huddle school in the country should get all of them versus the OSU's of this world. Wait until you hit the 4-6 star ranking, especially at 6 you will have more recruits than you will know what to do with.

Dr Death
08-25-2011, 11:18 AM
Just because you throw the ball shouldn't have a big impact on top QB's wanting to come to your school, if that is the case every spread no huddle school in the country should get all of them versus the OSU's of this world. Wait until you hit the 4-6 star ranking, especially at 6 you will have more recruits than you will know what to do with.

First of all, there's a massive difference between No-Huddle Spread teams and what I do. No-Huddle Spread teams tend to run... a lot. Like :Michigan: w/ their QB last year. Mine throw. And every year I will have one or two 4-star QB's who see the numbers my guy is putting up and they get interested.

Hmmm... I could go to :LSU: and throw 20-25 times a game and maybe have 23 TD passes a year... or... I could go to this guy's school, throw 60 times a game and 50-60 TD's...

Yeah... playing style does matter. At least to some.

oweb26
08-25-2011, 11:55 AM
I think you misunderstodd what I was saying I was just using "spread no huddle" as an example because naturally any Air Raid, or whatever will throw more than a pro style.
I also said a big impact not no impact at all, If you look in real life not many top QB's consider Hawaii as a top choice for a school and all you do is throw the ball at least a coupel of years ago anyway no clue what they look like today. I am using that saying in the game it also shouldn't have a huge impact, a shitty school is a shitty school I don't care what you do in terms offensive strategy. Just because you throw the ball alot should not equate you to automatically being a top contender for the best players it should get you mentioned (which it did)

I am not sure what prestige you have your school at yet but at least you are getting interest, and IMO thats all you should get, and if you happen to get lucky and sign one great if not thats ok.

My biggest enjoyment out of playing with a crappy school is I have to coach more and I cant get the best players.

I feel your pain man, but it is what it is. I started out as the DC at ECU, now that was interesting.

Boucher
08-25-2011, 12:12 PM
Recruiting is already pretty unrealistic when you look at the top recruits during week 4 or 5 and see they have no scholorship offers... WTF is that 5 star players with no offers SMH. Easy for you to come in and scoop them right up

oweb26
08-25-2011, 12:14 PM
Recruiting is already pretty unrealistic when you look at the top recruits during week 4 or 5 and see they have no scholorship offers... WTF is that 5 star players with no offers SMH. Easy for you to come in and scoop them right up

:+1:I do this yearly. saves a bunch of time on the front end and its almost guaranteed to happen

steelerfan
08-25-2011, 12:23 PM
You said that we have 3 chances to change the topic of discussion. I was right, you ARE recruiting on Varsity. :D :D :D

Bottom line - NMSU has no business being able to land 4 and 5 * WRs. I don't give a shit how much you throw the ball. As stated before, TTU (who enjoyed moderate success under Leach) couldn't do so and they threw the ball a lot. If that's the results you want, go into your settings and change Recruiting Difficulty from "Varsity" to "Freshman". Besides signing all of the 5* WRs you want, you will get 4 chances to change the topic of discussion.

Sorry dude, the earlier statement about only discussing the good parts of your school, and the results it would have, are absolutely true. It would either be too easy, or impossible, depending on where you started on the recruits' list.

Any discussion that begins with "I'm at #117 NMSU and I find it unrealistic that I can't easily get 5* WRs" is going to fall on deaf ears on this site. The vast majority here want realistic results, you're not even trying to achieve that. You're trying to do something that is so unrealistic and far-fetched that you're not going to get many to listen to your reasoning.

If winning MNCs at Idaho and NMSU in a couple of years makes you happy, go for it. If bragging about a Freshman WR with 168 catches satisfies you, cool. It's not for me and I have no interest in a recruiting system that will make it easy for me to achieve.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

Dr Death
08-25-2011, 12:40 PM
Any discussion that begins with "I'm at #117 NMSU and I find it unrealistic that I can't easily get 5* WRs" is going to fall on deaf ears on this site. The vast majority here want realistic results, you're not even trying to achieve that. You're trying to do something that is so unrealistic and far-fetched that you're not going to get many to listen to your reasoning.

Please show me where I said what you claim I said above. I never said that. I said RECRUITING is fucked up when it takes 8 weeks to find out Playing Time is A+. In real life, if I was at :New_Mexico_State: and recruiting a 5-star WR, that's the very first thing I would bring up, as long as it was something that was important to him. I never said what you claim I said. Period. I said I was going after about 15 4-5 star WR's and HOPING to land one. I've no idea what you were reading, but it isn't what I posted.

AustinWolv
08-25-2011, 02:27 PM
Perhaps you missed the part where I mentioned that I was going after 4-stars too.
Perhaps you missed the point that TT got NO 5stars and ONLY 3 4stars during that period. Total. The point was that you are aiming really high and shouldn't be expecting to be pulling 4 and 5star players yet.

Will never happen.
Thankfully!

Dr Death
08-25-2011, 03:42 PM
Perhaps you missed the point that TT got NO 5stars and ONLY 3 4stars during that period. Total.

Thankfully!

Apparently you aren't that familiar w/ Mike Leach and what he did at :Texas_Tech:, but his recruiting strategy was to go after kids the bigger schools didn't want. One of his main selling points was... "You were born here in Texas, yet :Texas: doesn't want you, :Texas_A&M: doesn't want you, :TCU: doesn't want you, :Baylor: doesn't want you... come to Tech, where you will fit into our system and help us beat those teams who have ignored you."

You can sit here and say he landed no 5-star recruits all day... but the fact is, he didn't go after any. As far as 4-star recruits, I don't even think he went after many of them. I don't recall the deal w/ Crabtree, but I believe Crabtree chose Tech because he knew he'd be able to catch a ton of passes and play in a fun offense.

As for Steelerfan laughing at me for recruiting on Varsity... forgive me, but I didn't know there were different levels of recruiting. If that changed in '10, I didn't buy '10, so I wouldn't know about it. If it changed last year I didn't know about it because A:} I hate the knew style of recruiting and B:} I had a lot of heavy, personal stuff going on in my life just after the game came out, so I wasn't on message boards and such.

I still don't know how to change the recruiting difficulty. I am assuming, from what Steelerfan said, that AA and Heisman... if that's what they're called, give you fewer Change Pitch opportunities. Anything else about it I need to know?

AustinWolv
08-25-2011, 04:18 PM
Dr., I don't buy it. TT had to do that because he couldn't attract 5star and 4star guys because the program was deemed 2nd-tier. Same situation with the program you have.
Do you really think that he'd pass on top-tier 5star and 4star talent in order to take 3star homegrown guys?
He took what he took because that is what he could attract and use the chip on their shoulder.

Boucher
08-25-2011, 06:42 PM
Did you read `Swing your Sword``

SmoothPancakes
08-25-2011, 06:51 PM

No, but I do swing my sword from time to time. ;)

Dr Death
08-26-2011, 04:24 AM
Dr., I don't buy it. TT had to do that because he couldn't attract 5star and 4star guys because the program was deemed 2nd-tier. Same situation with the program you have.
Do you really think that he'd pass on top-tier 5star and 4star talent in order to take 3star homegrown guys?
He took what he took because that is what he could attract and use the chip on their shoulder.

Regarding 'Swing Your Sword', here's what Leach's philosophy was/is on recruits:

"I'm not afraid to recruit anybody who's motivated to come, but I won't fly over a bunch of people to get somebody that's not sure about the program when we've got plenty nearby that are just as good.

My point about not flying over a bunch of prospects to get to one who's not sure about the program meant that I didn't believe in chasing ghosts or blindly throwing our hat into the ring for some "five-star" internet All-American who might not have much real interest in us. Instead, we could probably unearth someone closer by who would play twice as hard because he was excited to be at Texas Tech."

Austin says that Tech was a 2nd Tier program, so Leach took what he could get. That may be true... his first few years there. But he turned that team around and they weren't considered "2nd tier" anymore. They weren't considered in the same class as :Texas: or :Oklahoma: because they didn't have the "legacy" those schools have, but had Leach stayed... or been allowed to stay... they were on their way to that status.

Wes Welker was a guy who :Oklahoma: wasn't even interested in as a walk-on, but Welker went to Leach, gave him a tape of his high school play-off game, and told him he wanted to play for him. Leach watched the tape. There's Welker scoring on offense, defense and ST's... and at the end of the game, he kicked the game-winning 52 yard FG. Leach saw him as slow and short... but he also knew that he could help the team in some capacity. Turns out the NFL didn't even invite Welker to the combine or draft him... but he's a pretty damn good WR in that league too.

Now as far as comparing Leach and his situation to mine in this game... Leach had one huge advantage: film. I only have numbers to look at. EA doesn't provide us w/ scouting reports and film of guys we're recruiting so we can see who will or won't fit into our system. We can only go by numbers.

And nobody has explained where the ability to change recruiting difficulty is at and/or what it affects/changes???

PDuncanOSU
08-26-2011, 08:40 AM
Regarding 'Swing Your Sword', here's what Leach's philosophy was/is on recruits:

"I'm not afraid to recruit anybody who's motivated to come, but I won't fly over a bunch of people to get somebody that's not sure about the program when we've got plenty nearby that are just as good.

My point about not flying over a bunch of prospects to get to one who's not sure about the program meant that I didn't believe in chasing ghosts or blindly throwing our hat into the ring for some "five-star" internet All-American who might not have much real interest in us. Instead, we could probably unearth someone closer by who would play twice as hard because he was excited to be at Texas Tech."

Austin says that Tech was a 2nd Tier program, so Leach took what he could get. That may be true... his first few years there. But he turned that team around and they weren't considered "2nd tier" anymore. They weren't considered in the same class as :Texas: or :Oklahoma: because they didn't have the "legacy" those schools have, but had Leach stayed... or been allowed to stay... they were on their way to that status.

Wes Welker was a guy who :Oklahoma: wasn't even interested in as a walk-on, but Welker went to Leach, gave him a tape of his high school play-off game, and told him he wanted to play for him. Leach watched the tape. There's Welker scoring on offense, defense and ST's... and at the end of the game, he kicked the game-winning 52 yard FG. Leach saw him as slow and short... but he also knew that he could help the team in some capacity. Turns out the NFL didn't even invite Welker to the combine or draft him... but he's a pretty damn good WR in that league too.

Now as far as comparing Leach and his situation to mine in this game... Leach had one huge advantage: film. I only have numbers to look at. EA doesn't provide us w/ scouting reports and film of guys we're recruiting so we can see who will or won't fit into our system. We can only go by numbers.

And nobody has explained where the ability to change recruiting difficulty is at and/or what it affects/changes???
I'm not at home where I can double check this, but you should be able to change the recruiting difficulty in the "dynasty settings" area where you can also change the dynasty difficulty. I also get frustrated with the "roulette style" recruiting so I leave the recruiting difficulty at the default setting, which I believe is Varsity. All American and Heisman levels give you fewer "change topics" and I think (though I may be wrong as I haven't tried these levels) makes the cpu more successful at landing recruits.

PDuncanOSU
08-26-2011, 09:24 AM
While I do get what you are saying if they implemented it the way you suggested AND gave the CPU a decent AI so that they maximized their benefits, there would be almost zero randomness to recruiting and you would simply end up with whoever liked you most to start. They need to have some sort of randomness so you have a chance to land a kid who you start at #4 on. If everyone can simply pitch their best stuff and there is any other school in front of you who is your size, then it would become impossible to ever move up. Sure you would then complain about that right?
I like the current recruiting system better than I did the football face from previous years. I think that the random pitch/roulette system needs to go, but see where allowing us to pick all of our topics could make recruiting too easy. I think the answer to this lies in the coaching carousel. Recruiting next year, I think, should look something like this:
-I choose 1-6 topics at 10 minutes per topicl for each recruit
-A 6 topic/60 minute call will have 3 topics that are recruits choice, and 3 that are coaches choice
-A recruits choice topic will always be an above average or higher interest level for that recruit regardless of the schools ratings
-A coaches choice topic will be any topic that you choose
-A 5 topic/50 minute call could have 3 recruit choice/2 coach choice or vice versa, possibly random depending on the recruit
-Each coach will have a recruiting rating that will affect how many points can be earned each call
-A recruit with playing time as Most is being recruited by two schools both with A+ for playing time
-The coach for Team 1 has an A recruiting rating can earn 70-90 points for pitching playing time
-The coach for Team 2 has a C recruiting rating can earn 60-80 points for the same pitch
This wouldn't be a huge change from the current system, so it shouldn't be difficult for EA to do, would add depth to the coaching carousel, and allow recruiting to be more realistic while still not too easy.

psuexv
08-26-2011, 10:21 AM
Bottom line - NMSU has no business being able to land 4 and 5 * WRs. I don't give a shit how much you throw the ball. As stated before, TTU (who enjoyed moderate success under Leach) couldn't do so and they threw the ball a lot. If that's the results you want, go into your settings and change Recruiting Difficulty from "Varsity" to "Freshman". Besides signing all of the 5* WRs you want, you will get 4 chances to change the topic of discussion.

Gotta disagree here. I don't there is any problem with a 5 or 4 star going to a small school. Now if your entire list is those caliber players and you land a bunch of them then yest that's an issue. As was stated earlier IU is a 2 star program and they just pulled the #1 kid in the country. Last year in SBCOL my first season at Toledo I pulled a 4 star RB... is that wrong? Should I have pulled the schollie?

psuexv
08-26-2011, 10:26 AM
there would be almost zero randomness to recruiting and you would simply end up with whoever liked you most to start. They need to have some sort of randomness so you have a chance to land a kid who you start at #4 on. If everyone can simply pitch their best stuff and there is any other school in front of you who is your size, then it would become impossible to ever move up. Sure you would then complain about that right?

Disagree.... right now with the current system(even with randomness), if you are playing with Powerhouse schools that are pretty much A+ across the board there is really no randomness in the pitches. If USC, Texas and OU are the top 3, they are all A and A+ in pretty much everything so no matter what topic that comes up they are all the same. Yet you see teams move up and down on the board.

psusnoop
08-26-2011, 10:32 AM
Gotta disagree here. I don't there is any problem with a 5 or 4 star going to a small school. Now if your entire list is those caliber players and you land a bunch of them then yest that's an issue. As was stated earlier IU is a 2 star program and they just pulled the #1 kid in the country. Last year in SBCOL my first season at Toledo I pulled a 4 star RB... is that wrong? Should I have pulled the schollie?

No you shouldn't have pulled the schollie, but the point was that Dr. said he had 15 4 or 5 star WR's on his board. For a 1 star team this is a pipedream at best and not realistic (though I don't know what his intentions are as far as recruiting or general gameplay for that matter) nor close to sim. There is no way a team of that caliber is going to put that kind of talent on their board of 35 in real life.

psuexv
08-26-2011, 10:33 AM
No you shouldn't have pulled the schollie, but the point was that Dr. said he had 15 4 or 5 star WR's on his board. For a 1 star team this is a pipedream at best and not realistic (though I don't know what his intentions are as far as recruiting or general gameplay for that matter) nor close to sim. There is no way a team of that caliber is going to put that kind of talent on their board of 35 in real life.

But he also said in hopes to land ONE. Basically throwing a bunch of shit against the wall and hoping some sticks.

psuexv
08-26-2011, 10:34 AM
So... I am recruiting the hell out of WR's... 15 total, and 6 of those are 5-star WR's. Several 4-star's too. I am hoping to land just one of the 4/5-star's. If I get just one, my offense will increase significantly next year. Should I land two, then my offense will really be good..

psuexv
08-26-2011, 10:40 AM
My recruiting strategy is usually about the same with small schools heck big schools too. I fill my board with needs and people that have me high on their list. Then I have about 10 spots that I fill with my "wish" list. Now I don't recruit the wish list heavy but when I have extra time I throw it at them or I'll pick one guy to focus on and give him dedicated time each week. In hopes of pulling that stud player that can change my program.

Dr Death
08-26-2011, 10:44 AM

And you just helped explain why and how this new system of "recruiting" is screwed up. In the old style, you called a 5-star prospect as a 1-star team, 99.9% of the time you'd get that angry face and he would hang up on you.

As far as my intentions and gameplay, I thought I explained that pretty thoroughly. I use a lot of WR's and need a lot of WR's and :New_Mexico_State: had 7 total when I took over the team. There were games where, thanks to EA's logic, my WR's were too tired to play and DB's were in at WR. :fp: Not at least the RB's... but DB's.

For what it's worth I did land one of those 5-star WR's. The guy I had at #1 on my board the whole season. After going 10-3 and getting to their first bowl game since 1960... I had to look that one up... they offered me an extension. But the :SMU: OC job came open and I jumped at that.

In the new season :New_Mexico_State: is currently 0-4.

psuexv
08-26-2011, 10:45 AM
Personally I think the random pitches are absolutely terrible. The only way to make the random pitches work is allow me to pitch things that the recruit doesn't care about and I am low on my ratings and have them actually mean something. For example.... If Program Prestige is low for a recruit(basically meaning to me he wants to go to a smaller school) and I'm a small school with a C Prestige.... I should be able to pitch that just like if he had it high and I'm a A Prestige school.

Or if he has Playing Time as low and it's low for my rankings. "We're set at WR now, come in take a redshirt and learn the position and grow"

Basically the way recruiting is set up now is that it's tilted in favor of the Big Schools with A and A+ rankings. You get more points for matching up with high rankings where in essence you should get high points for simply matching up with the kids needs.

psuexv
08-26-2011, 10:50 AM
My biggest issue with recruiting is the laggyness of it. I completely love recruiting but I can't even stomach it anymore. It's takes way too long to cycle through the actual call that it's painful. My opinion is you should be able to basically "set" your call before hand. Pick your time, Pick your pitches or schollie offer, visit, what ever. Hit the button and it runs through it. If you want to keep the random generator fine, it randomly generates 6 topics, you pick if you want to change one or two like you can now or if you want to make a promise or whatever.

psusnoop
08-26-2011, 01:27 PM
But he also said in hopes to land ONE. Basically throwing a bunch of shit against the wall and hoping some sticks.

So for example, San Jose State needs a QB next season. But they are a 1 star program and have many many spots were any upgrade would be welcomed they should focus their attention on 10-15 QB recruits all rated 4 star and above? Just to see what sticks, to hell with the rest of the teams issues and depth? There isn't a team in the country that pulls this kind of fly by the night shit. Each and every coach has atleast a little common sense to know that they should spread out and upgrade talent where possible and NOT put 75% of their recruiting effort into 1 single position.

psuexv
08-26-2011, 01:38 PM
So for example, San Jose State needs a QB next season. But they are a 1 star program and have many many spots were any upgrade would be welcomed they should focus their attention on 10-15 QB recruits all rated 4 star and above? Just to see what sticks, to hell with the rest of the teams issues and depth? There isn't a team in the country that pulls this kind of fly by the night shit. Each and every coach has atleast a little common sense to know that they should spread out and upgrade talent where possible and NOT put 75% of their recruiting effort into 1 single position.

Just because you put 15 of those people on your board doesn't mean you give each of them time every week and throw the rest of the positions to the wayside.

Read all of the posts before commenting

My recruiting strategy is usually about the same with small schools heck big schools too. I fill my board with needs and people that have me high on their list. Then I have about 10 spots that I fill with my "wish" list. Now I don't recruit the wish list heavy but when I have extra time I throw it at them or I'll pick one guy to focus on and give him dedicated time each week. In hopes of pulling that stud player that can change my program.

psusnoop
08-26-2011, 01:41 PM
Personally I think the random pitches are absolutely terrible. The only way to make the random pitches work is allow me to pitch things that the recruit doesn't care about and I am low on my ratings and have them actually mean something. For example.... If Program Prestige is low for a recruit(basically meaning to me he wants to go to a smaller school) and I'm a small school with a C Prestige.... I should be able to pitch that just like if he had it high and I'm a A Prestige school.

Or if he has Playing Time as low and it's low for my rankings. "We're set at WR now, come in take a redshirt and learn the position and grow"

Basically the way recruiting is set up now is that it's tilted in favor of the Big Schools with A and A+ rankings. You get more points for matching up with high rankings where in essence you should get high points for simply matching up with the kids needs.

Now on to this, since it seems I have created two different debates I just want to make sure I even say what I think I want to say :D:D

I think the recruiting that we have currently is "better" then what we had. Just for the simple fact that it takes out the completely easy routine of signing high end talent at LOW tier schools.

Now I would love to see this modified, tuned, overhauled as well. I like the idea about Prestige that you mentioned. I'd like to sway down a topic as well. I'd like to pitch current records, and such too.

psusnoop
08-26-2011, 01:47 PM
Just because you put 15 of those people on your board doesn't mean you give each of them time every week and throw the rest of the positions to the wayside.

Read all of the posts before commenting

If you are a 1 star prestige program and have 5 star recruits on your board and not giving them a decent amount of time each week there is NO WAY your going to stand a snow balls chance in hell at signing one. Heck even most 4 star recruits you need to spend a good deal of time on each week as a 1 star program.

OK so "you" pick out one guy to focus on, but Dr. said "So... I am recruiting the hell out of WR's... 15 total, and 6 of those are 5-star WR's. Several 4-star's too. I am hoping to land just one of the 4/5-star's" Now to me this isn't picking out one to focus on this makes me think he is actively recruiting 15 WR's. :dunno: Hence my point about why would any coach in their right mind recruit that many being a 1 star program knowing how many other needs they have.

psuexv
08-26-2011, 01:51 PM
I think the recruiting that we have currently is "better" then what we had. Just for the simple fact that it takes out the completely easy routine of signing high end talent at LOW tier schools.

I honestly don't agree with you. I don't remember exactly which style that was used smiling football or what, but I remember '09 when Snoop we had our dynasty and I was ISU. I won the MNC the first year, undefeated and proceeded to win year and year out. I had to continually work at recruiting, my first 2-3 years I didn't even pull a top 20 class and I always had to really work at recruits.

And as for this year it being harder to land those recruits at small schools, all you have to do is set it to Varsity recruiting and you can accomplish that. I don't think the "style" of recruiting is what is making it harder, it's the implementation of difficulty level. If you had the old smiley football and implemented levels you could problem accomplish the same results.

psuexv
08-26-2011, 01:53 PM
Hence my point about why would any coach in their right mind recruit that many being a 1 star program knowing how many other needs they have.

As long as you are filling your needs at other positions, why not.

steelerfan
08-26-2011, 01:55 PM
I think I pissed in his Cheerios. :sf:

I quit worrying about this debate when it was confirmed that Dr. is recruiting on Varsity. On AA or Heisman, he would end up with 0 commits at NMSU using that strategy.

psusnoop
08-26-2011, 01:57 PM
As long as you are filling your needs at other positions, why not.

Be honest now if you are recruiting 15 WR's heavily ( even say 30 minutes) that is 7.5hrs leaving you with 2.5 hours for the other 20 positions. This would never work to upgrade your other positions.

psusnoop
08-26-2011, 02:01 PM
I honestly don't agree with you. I don't remember exactly which style that was used smiling football or what, but I remember '09 when Snoop we had our dynasty and I was ISU. I won the MNC the first year, undefeated and proceeded to win year and year out. I had to continually work at recruiting, my first 2-3 years I didn't even pull a top 20 class and I always had to really work at recruits.

And as for this year it being harder to land those recruits at small schools, all you have to do is set it to Varsity recruiting and you can accomplish that. I don't think the "style" of recruiting is what is making it harder, it's the implementation of difficulty level. If you had the old smiley football and implemented levels you could problem accomplish the same results.

I also remember in 09 when Vandy (user controlled) and can't remember Monko's team now but he was also in the top 5. I think it was some kind of biased against you personally not the norm. Heck I took 3star Mississippi State and was pulling in a top 10 class easily.

psusnoop
08-26-2011, 02:03 PM
I think I pissed in his Cheerios. :sf:

I quit worrying about this debate when it was confirmed that Dr. is recruiting on Varsity. On AA or Heisman, he would end up with 0 commits at NMSU using that strategy.

For the most part I don't really care one way or the other, to each his own. But I also think people are crazy if they think heavily recruiting 15 WR's 4 star and above for a 1 star program is normal and acceptable given our restrictions of 10hrs per week. This is silly to me and I will argue that debate all day.

psuexv
08-26-2011, 02:08 PM
I also remember in 09 when Vandy (user controlled) and can't remember Monko's team now but he was also in the top 5. I think it was some kind of biased against you personally not the norm. Heck I took 3star Mississippi State and was pulling in a top 10 class easily.

But you also came in at year 3 or 4. 4 years in I was able to pull a top 5 class

morsdraconis
08-26-2011, 03:55 PM
Be honest now if you are recruiting 15 WR's heavily ( even say 30 minutes) that is 7.5hrs leaving you with 2.5 hours for the other 20 positions. This would never work to upgrade your other positions.

But he's not doing that. He's probably spending an hour each week on one guy, seeing if promising him the moon actually jumps him into their top 10. I do it all the time with guys that don't have me on their list. Give them an hour, throw a scholarship, 3-4 promises and then try to hit a A+ Very High/Most combo in the first week. If that doesn't jump you into their top 10, you cut them from the board and move onto the next one. All the while, hitting only the guys that still are at Top 10 schools with no time being spent by any of them. It's a great way, even on Heisman or All-American of finding someone that isn't a purple gem/doesn't have you in their top 10 to start with but happens to match up with your school's best pitches, giving you a prayer of landing the guy.

Also, if you don't think, in real life, coaches don't talk to recruits that are out of their league all the time, you're nuts. How do you ever make a team better, in real life, without going after guys that might be out of your league, but might also have enough interest in playing now that you can grab them up instead of someone like Ohio State or USC where they'll sit behind someone else for two seasons before they get their chance? I constantly see FIU and FAU in consideration for top Florida athletes as well as Texas Tech, Rice, and UTEP for Texas athletes. That's what you do when you have the ability to say, stay and home and be a part of something special where you'll get all the attention for making huge things happen at a small/unknown school.

AustinWolv
08-26-2011, 09:42 PM
As a fun aside, TCU has not gotten a 4star or 5star WR from 2002-2010 according to Rivals. They got a couple Athletes that might have ended up at WR though.
Boise St. got 1 4star and 0 5star WRs from 2002-2010.

pantherone26
08-26-2011, 10:49 PM
As a fun aside, TCU has not gotten a 4star or 5star WR from 2002-2010 according to Rivals. They got a couple Athletes that might have ended up at WR though.
Boise St. got 1 4star and 0 5star WRs from 2002-2010.

That may be, but Boise is getting one of the Elite 11 QB's this season. They are slowly turning into a powerhouse! haha

Dr Death
08-27-2011, 03:08 AM
Well here's what I did... I decided to start completely from scratch... erasing my current :SMU: dynasty and our 5-0 start and # 17 ranking. I went in and deleted ALL highlights from all my previous dynasty's. Four years at :Idaho: as OC and then 1+ at :SMU: as OC. Stopped that one because things kept freezing up, never allowing me to advance. Started another as OC at :Texas_Tech: and got through almost 2 full seasons before the same freezing issues popped up. Started one as HC at :North_Texas: and had the same issues again... so I deleted ALL those highlights... photos and videos and began again as HC at :New_Mexico_State:... again.

I arranged my Formation Subs so that I would have fresh WR's at all or most of the time... filling in RB's where I lack WR's. Set Recruiting to Heisman... finally found that... filled my board w/ my needs and 5, 5-star WR's, 3, 4-star WR's and one 4-star Athlete who will be a WR.

I go into recruit and have the best WR listed at number 1 and what happens? The very first pitch that comes up on the first prospect is Playing Time - A+. I laughed my ass off. I think I like Heisman recruiting already. Earned over 300 points w/ him and while I am not in his Top 10... yet... my first experience w/ Heisman recruiting was good.

Then I go to play my first game, at :Tulsa:. Now :Tulsa: isn't a power by any means, but they are # 36 in the pre-season polls and I, of course, am 117. First drive I go 15 plays, 80 yards and take 7:51 off the clock. Convert 3 of 4 3rd downs and one 4th and inches. QB was 13 of 15. Go up 7-0. They miss 3 FG's... one from 60 yards... :fp: and I am up 14-0 as I score again w/ :45 left in the half.

First play of second half I intercept them at my 18. Go on another long drive, convert 3, 3rd downs and then hit a big one to their 3 yard line. So I am about to go up, at worst, 17-0, but likely 21-0 and what happens? The game freezes up again.

I give up. I'll wait for the patch/tuner set and hope that eliminates this crap. As I play 10 minute quarters and we were down to 7:00 left in the 3rd period, that's about an hour or more invested and just flat out wasted. Again.

But... thanks for the heads up on the ability to change recruit levels. Whether or not I land any of these guys remains to be seen... but at least my best pitches are showing up in week one and not week 8!

JeffHCross
08-27-2011, 03:16 PM
I go into recruit and have the best WR listed at number 1 and what happens? The very first pitch that comes up on the first prospect is Playing Time - A+. I laughed my ass off. I think I like Heisman recruiting already. Earned over 300 points w/ him and while I am not in his Top 10... yet... my first experience w/ Heisman recruiting was good.300 points isn't competitive on Heisman, versus what the CPU is usually pulling.

cdj
08-28-2011, 12:42 PM
Part of a recruit's consideration towards a school takes into account the number of other players at the same position on the board. I don't know what the number is and if recruiting too many makes it impossible to land any of them.

Dr. D - What interest level did these players have when the season started and high up the ranks did you get by the end of the year?

keyser soze - As someone replied, I think recruits look at playbook style not actual yardage or stats.

Pig Bomb
08-28-2011, 03:09 PM
Part of a recruit's consideration towards a school takes into account the number of other players at the same position on the board. I don't know what the number is and if recruiting too many makes it impossible to land any of them.

Dr. D - What interest level did these players have when the season started and high up the ranks did you get by the end of the year?

keyser soze - As someone replied, I think recruits look at playbook style not actual yardage or stats.

i recall seeing somewhere that you can't have more than 3 guys at one position on the board without negative effects...this is the rule i have been following and have no problems

Dr Death
08-29-2011, 01:06 AM

I'll answer your question and also want to comment on the last statement and how I think that's wrong. This might get a bit long, so hang w/ me. If we're talking solely about my first year at :New_Mexico_State: then obviously, none of the 4-5 star WR's had me in their Top 10. Throughout the season, 4 of them had me in their Top 3, and I landed one, which was what I was hoping for. In my first dynasty, as OC at :Idaho: I did a similar thing and the first year had similar results, recruiting wise. My second year there I landed a stud {4-star} who was 6'5" and 215. This was the guy who ended one year w/ 162 receptions and then broke that the next year w/ 168.

Steelerfan was bagging on me for "boasting" about those stats. In NCAA history, the most receptions in a season was a WR named Freddie Barnes at :Bowling_Green: who caught 155 in 2009. His team played 13 games. On my team, since I expanded the WAC and later moved :Idaho: to the PAC-16 Super Conference and we played CCG's those years, my WR played 14 games. So he broke the record by 7 and then beat that by 6. If we take 168 - 155 we get 13... which spread over 14 games, is less than one reception a game more than Barnes had. So it's not like the numbers were, or are, unrealistic.

Now, as for the comment about "Playing Style" and not stats-based, I disagree w/ this entirely. My base offense is the R&S, but I have primarily 5-Wide sets. I have most every 5-Wide set you can have, w/ the exclusion of 2 w/ a TE and the 5-Wide Bunch set. The bunch set is stupid because the idea is to spread the field out and in bunch, w/ all the WR's so close together, it makes it too easy for the QB to get sacked by a blitzing CB. Also, because EA can't code the receiver routes correctly, in these bunch sets you'll have, on the Trips side, the outside WR run a quick Slant in and then settle into a Hook, while the inside WR runs a quick Out. But EA has those two receivers run into each other and it doesn't matter if one has great speed and the other doesn't or if one has great acceleration and the other doesn't, they always run into each other, forcing the QB {you} to hold the ball, waiting for them to disengage from each other, and that second + is time enough for a DB to get you.

As far as the stats based and what recruits look for, my QB's always put up huge numbers, obviously. When I play w/ a decent QB and decent WR's, my QB will complete 69-74% of his passes, top 5,500 yards and have between 45 and 55 TD passes. When I play w/ a really good QB and really good WR's, my QB will be in the 74-78% range and over 6,000 yards and 55-65 TD passes. One year at :Idaho: my QB, who was a Senior and had been my starter for 4 seasons, threw 68 TD passes, only 10 more than the record of 58, held by Colt Brennan. I also threw 211 more passes that year than Brennan did when he set the mark.

That 4th year at :Idaho: I had all needs filled and still had a good, young team. I had a few Seniors, but behind them were solid Freshman and/or Sophomore's. So that year my recruiting board was only 12 deep. In week 9 I went into Look For New Prospects and noticed there were two 4-star QB's who had me in their Top 3 and one 5-star QB who had me at number 2. And I didn't even have these guys on my board. Hadn't called a single one of them. I also noticed, one year, when my base playbook was One Back but still had all the 5-Wide sets and still played the same, that I drew the same interest from 4-5 star QB's. So was it Playing Style or numbers? I believe it was numbers, because most One Back offenses tend to run a lot more than they pass, especially more-so than I do.

And just for comparison sake, I went w/ Tanner Rust as my QB at :New_Mexico_State: and he ended the year w/ 64% completion percentage. Part of this is because he was a 62 rated QB if memory serves. His accuracy was 75. And the WR's dropped a ton of passes, roughly between 120 and 140, which was around or more than 10 a game, which is unacceptable in an offense that relies on quick passes and short passes. I also don't have any "Money" plays. My playing style and difficulty level prevents this from happening. If I have 3rd and long, I have about 12-15 plays I can choose from. 3rd and 6-10 yards, around 30-40 plays and 3rd and short... say a yard or inches... I have about 25-40 plays I can choose from. No plays are "Money" because my QB's accuracy and WR drops prevent anything from being considered a "Money" play. And I always mix things up, never relying on the same play.

One play I do use a lot is Inside Switch in 5-Wide, because it beats Man, Zone, Blitz and Zone-Blitz. I have 4 different WR's that I can throw to on a given defensive look. Only once have I hit the 5th guy and that was when everything broke down, my QB avoided a sack, rolled up and out a few yards and then I noticed that guy was open. But primarily in that play, I have 4 different guys I go to depending on the defense. Whether or not the QB gets it to him accurately or he catches it is another matter. :D

morsdraconis
08-29-2011, 01:22 AM
And, more or less, I do the same thing Death does (but much less efficiently) and can easily get 5000 yards, 45-50 TDs and such as well. It's so retarded easy to throw the ball in this game if you know how to make even simple reads.