PDA

View Full Version : Formation Sub tips

AustinWolv
08-15-2011, 02:02 PM
A great feature that I bet is underutilized by some, what kind of packages or usefulness have you gleaned?

For example, the game out of the box likes to put your top-rated LB at the top of the depth chart and thus in the game in dime or nickel packages, but what if you have another LB on the depth chart that is better at coverage stuff, is faster, etc? Even if you give up some power moves or strength or tackle ability, perhaps a faster guy that can cover and/or blitz better is an asset.

Or what about subbing in a better tackling, tougher CB down for defensive sets you run out on known running downs instead of that lockdown, non-tackling Deion Sanders wannabe you got starting?

gschwendt
08-15-2011, 02:18 PM
My favorite at the moment is Dime - Normal LBs for DEs. I have above average LBs and mediocre DEs so that puts the OLBs at the DE position and thus I can use a lot of the zone blitzes that the DEs dropping into coverage. It turns it into a 2-3 Dime look just with the OLBs with their hands in the dirt.

TheRezyReb
08-15-2011, 03:04 PM
Wait, it's ok to put lb's at DE but, not to wr at TE? hahahah sorry couldn't resist! YES, I love the lb pass rush option on deffense, especialy with all the asshats that can't play unless they run from sideline to sideline with there qb's!

I also have changed wr's in certian formations ..... for example I put my tallest guy in the slot, my fastest guy at Y and so forth. I have diff formation subs for a lot of diff situtions in an attempt to create mismatches depending on down and distance.

Kwizzy
08-15-2011, 03:13 PM
I prefer to use the ROLB or LOLB package sub to get my preferred LB in the dime set. That way when I sub my scrubs in in a blow out my stud LB isn't still in the game with a chance to get hurt. Formation Subs override all other subs.

I am currently working on writing up a feature to submit to EA. This feature would be a combination of Depth Charts, Formation Subs, and CUSTOM Package subs. I would just really like a quicker and more uniform way to utilize the depth on my roster.

AustinWolv
08-15-2011, 03:16 PM
Rezy, the difference is that WR at TE is exploiting limitations of the game, hence why it is cheese. If someone did that in real football, do you think an opposing team would just blindly let some slow DE or LB cover that WR? Nah, they'd adjust with special packages. The game doesn't allow you to do that.

Cheese is not defined as creating mismatches -> cheese is exploiting the game's coding/limitations. Over time, EA has slowly been building constraints into the game to limit some of the exploitation.

stud LB isn't still in the game with a chance to get hurt
Not really a concern since defensive players rarely get hurt. I can't recall the last one I had out with an injury.

steelerfan
08-15-2011, 03:28 PM
I had a SS miss about a month on 12.

Kwizzy, I'd be interested to hear about your ideas. I'd like to see some changes to the current system, too.

As a quick fix, I've be happy with simply having a Mass Subs Depth Chart, in addition to my actual Depth Chart, that would override Formation Subs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

Kwizzy
08-15-2011, 03:30 PM
I had a SS miss about a month on 12.

Kwizzy, I'd be interested to hear about your ideas. I'd like to see some changes to the current system, too.

As a quick fix, I've be happy with simply having a Mass Subs Depth Chart, in addition to my actual Depth Chart, that would override Formation Subs.

I will post the rough mock up I have as soon as I get a chance.

steelerfan
08-15-2011, 03:32 PM
I will post the rough mock up I have as soon as I get a chance.

:up;

TheRezyReb
08-15-2011, 03:49 PM
Rezy, the difference is that WR at TE is exploiting limitations of the game, hence why it is cheese. If someone did that in real football, do you think an opposing team would just blindly let some slow DE or LB cover that WR? Nah, they'd adjust with special packages. The game doesn't allow you to do that.

Cheese is not defined as creating mismatches -> cheese is exploiting the game's coding/limitations. Over time, EA has slowly been building constraints into the game to limit some of the exploitation.

Not really a concern since defensive players rarely get hurt. I can't recall the last one I had out with an injury.

YEA I HAVE LEARNED OH GREAT ONE!!!!! I was being sarcastic........:deadhorse:;):P

Kwizzy
08-15-2011, 03:56 PM
Here is a rough mock up of my idea. Basically Each formation in your playbook would have its own 2 or (preferrably)3 deep. Also for each formation, you would be able to create your own custom packages. Each custom package would have it's own depth chart. Mass subs would then simply cycle all of the 1st teamers to 3rd on the depth chart.

Interested to hear everyone's opinions on this as this is the first time I've really tried to convey my thoughts to others.

skipwondah33
08-15-2011, 09:18 PM
I use the package sub as well to occasionally put my OLB's at DE in the Dime Normal formation rather than formation sub them in. I'm use to rules in my Madden leagues that prohibit putting LB's at the DE position via the depth chart so I just use the package sub. Its the same exact thing doing so with formation subs, although if you want your normal DE's in you would need to pause the game to do so.

I also will sub my fastest LB in as the MLB in the Dime Normal formation as that is the player that I manual. I don't need him to be smart, just fast as I will do the rest

PDuncanOSU
08-16-2011, 12:47 PM
Here is a rough mock up of my idea. Basically Each formation in your playbook would have its own 2 or (preferrably)3 deep. Also for each formation, you would be able to create your own custom packages. Each custom package would have it's own depth chart. Mass subs would then simply cycle all of the 1st teamers to 3rd on the depth chart.

Interested to hear everyone's opinions on this as this is the first time I've really tried to convey my thoughts to others.

I love this idea. I've been thinking about submitting something like this to the "wishlist and feedback" forum for a while but never got around to putting my ideas on paper. My thought is that you would fill out your main depth chart as we do now. Your formation depth charts and packages would default to match the main depth chart, but could be edited to your liking.

AustinWolv
08-16-2011, 01:01 PM
Kwizzy, looks like a good idea. Nicely done.

th3 last tiger
08-17-2011, 02:03 PM
I oftentimes when playing as Missouri I will sub-in the TE in the slot. Also when the running the fly sweep from the weak I Y over set i will put a HB @ WR to take the fly sweep handoff.

gigemaggs99
08-17-2011, 06:18 PM
I like using the 4WR formation sub in the Flexbone Normal. It puts WRs in as your WBs. This way you can run the jet sweeps with them, similar to jet sweeps from SG formations. It just gets the ball in the hands of the faster guys....the only problem is they can't get a beating like the HBs and do tend to get hurt quicker.

I also use the LB/SS sub in the 3-3-5 okie, also the 3-4 sub in the 3-3-5 okie, this seems to help on the run defense. In the 3-3-5 stack I'll use the LB sub when I want to bring the inside heat.