PDA

View Full Version : Breaking down the OL/DL Ratings

Sven Draconian
08-15-2011, 01:46 PM
I posted the question a few weeks ago asking what the OL/DL ratings meant. Since that went nowhere, I decided to just do the research myself.

I set it up as such:
All OL were set to 65 spd/agility and 80 accel. All blockings ratings (including Strength and Awareness) were set to 80.
All DL were given 75 for spd/agility and 80 for accel. All DL ratings (Including Str, Awr, Tackling, Hit power and PRC were set at 80).

I then edited each attribute 10 points each direction (Strength up to 90, then down to 70. Run Block at 90 and 70, Block Shed at 90 and 70...and so on).

I then ran 30 plays with each edited attribute. All from Ace, Y-trips against 4-3 Cov. 2 man. I ran 10 plays each of Stretch, Dive and Power-O. Then recorded the yardage and any notes from observation.

All plays were user-controlled, but I did not do any spins/jukes/trucks to attempt to break tackles. I also didn't bounce outside, reverse field or anything else. I simply ran to the designated hole, and made any appropriate cuts. All plays were all-american, default sliders, practice mode.

A 20 point swing in an individual ratings (Strength at 70 vs 90) should produce a noticeable difference, if that ratings really matters. Obviously with a fairly limited sample size (30 plays with each adjustment) this is not a definitive study. However, it should point us in the right direction.

Sven Draconian
08-15-2011, 02:05 PM
As a whole, Stretch averaged 5.3 yards and was the least effected by ratings adjustments.

Dive averaged 5.4 yards and was the most sensitive.

Power averaged 5.1.

All gains over 10 yards were scored as "10" for the averages. Once the ball-carrier breaks into the secondary, the OL ratings don't matter.

These are in order of most important to least important.

Ratings that had significant impact:
Run Block Strength
OL Strength

Ratings that had a moderate impact:
DL Athleticism (Acc/Agil/Spd) [these were tested as a group]
OL Athleticism (Acc/Agil/Spd) [tested as a group]
DL Strength
Tackle
Block Shedding
Poor Power/Finesse move (both ratings lowered to 70)
Power Move

Ratings that had minimal impact (Possibly placebo/chance)
Run Block
Play Recognition
Run Block Footwork
Finesse Move

Ratings that had no Observable impact:
Impact Blocking
OL Awareness

Sven Draconian
08-15-2011, 02:25 PM
General notes:

Strength, including the strength ratings and RBS, are far and away the most important. They even trigger a few new animations when there is a differential between the blocker and defender. Run Block strength created extra movement both vertical and lateral.

Overall athleticism mattered quite a bit, which surprised me. Lots of OL whiffs on LBs when they had the lowered athleticism. More athletic DL were able to disengage and tackle the ball carrier as he ran past them, which limited the big gains.

DL with poor block shedding resulted in several big plays, but increased block shedding did not result in more tackles for loss. A DL also needs a move (Power or Finesse). However, a higher move did not result in more shed blocks, it just let the DL disengage and make a tackle once the back gets even/past the blocker.

The tackle rating had a similar effect, it let DL disengage and make the tackle as a back is passing him, results in 3..4..5 yard tackles instead of 7 or 8 yarders.

Run block had a little boost, which I attribute to the OL getting to the LBs better (maybe coming off double teams faster?), it's biggest impact was on the stretch play.

Run Block footwork didn't look like it did anything, but the "Power" play with RBF set at 70 only averaged 3.3 yards. Could have been user-error or pure chance. Or it could be a slight effect. RBF at 70 scored higher on stretch than it did on 90, and it scored identical on Dive. My guess was that it didn't do anything.

morsdraconis
08-15-2011, 08:37 PM
Good stuff. I'm going to do some testing with drastic differences in abilities to see if it matters without changing any other variables (setting everything to 50 and then changing one variable per 30 plays).

Hopefully, I can track down how much of an effect some of the ones that had minimal or no effect actually have.

keyser soze
08-15-2011, 09:15 PM
wow, great thread. thanks for posting this.

psusnoop
08-16-2011, 12:28 AM
wow, great thread. thanks for posting this.

Agreed interesting :+1:

ram29jackson
08-16-2011, 01:09 AM
I really dont think any ratings matter except maybe possibly footwork and even then things happen for no visual explained reason. There is no true run blocking assignments that work as they should and very seldom are linebackers accounted for by the O line