PDA

View Full Version : Music on Google Play

JBHuskers
08-09-2011, 10:04 AM
Yet another thing coming out by Google. Just got invited.

http://music.google.com/music/s/9d4e9ce5efc4f7c168a5a5923ca014a7/service_intro.png

Description:

Welcome to Music Beta. Music Beta is a new service from Google that gives you instant access to your personal music collection without the hassle of wires or syncing. Add your music collection and listen on the web or any compatible Android device.

SmoothPancakes
08-09-2011, 10:16 AM
I'm going to guess it'll probably be pretty similar to Amazon's Cloud Player, where you'll get so many GBs free, then you'll have to pay for however many GBs above that.

JBHuskers
08-09-2011, 10:19 AM
I'm going to guess it'll probably be pretty similar to Amazon's Cloud Player, where you'll get so many GBs free, then you'll have to pay for however many GBs above that.

Not that I see. I just remoted into my computer at home, downloaded the music manager and now it's syncing with all folders that I have music in.

JBHuskers
08-09-2011, 10:20 AM
Also as a bonus to beta people, you can choose genres and they're going to add songs into your account for free. I got a live version of Don't Fear The Reaper....MORE COWBELL!

JBHuskers
08-09-2011, 10:26 AM
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s159/jbennett98/googlemusic.jpg

psuexv
08-09-2011, 10:36 AM
this has been out for a couple of months

psuexv
08-09-2011, 10:38 AM
It's pretty cool..... I believe there is an Android app that you can use to play it through your phone. Also friend of mine also can play it through his MySync or whatever that this that comes with Fords.

JBHuskers
08-09-2011, 10:39 AM
22 of over 10,000 songs added. This may take a while :D

JBHuskers
08-09-2011, 10:40 AM
It's pretty cool..... I believe there is an Android app that you can use to play it through your phone. Also friend of mine also can play it through his MySync or whatever that this that comes with Fords.

Yeah there is. I can listen to it through my browser at work, create playlists and etc. I downloaded the app, but I doubt I'll ever use it much.

psuexv
08-09-2011, 10:40 AM
I have 4 invites if anyone wants in.

psuexv
08-09-2011, 10:43 AM
Yeah there is. I can listen to it through my browser at work, create playlists and etc. I downloaded the app, but I doubt I'll ever use it much.

yeah the main place I use it is at work

JBHuskers
08-09-2011, 10:44 AM
Wonder how long it will take to sync all those songs :D

psuexv
08-09-2011, 10:44 AM
The instant mixes feature is pretty cool, you pick one song and it will random create a mix of 25 other songs

psuexv
08-09-2011, 10:46 AM
It took me all weekend to upload all my music, about 17 hours total I'd say. The other cool think is the Music Manager will run all the time so anytime you add any new music to your computer it will push it up automatically

JBHuskers
08-09-2011, 10:46 AM
It took me all weekend to upload all my music, about 17 hours total I'd say. The other cool think is the Music Manager will run all the time so anytime you add any new music to your computer it will push it up automatically

Yep. I set it up to do that automatically. Thank god for LogMeIn remote computing :D

36 of over 10,000 songs done. Johnny Cash uploading now apparantly :D A Boy Named Sue and Jackson.

gschwendt
08-09-2011, 11:36 AM
I've had this for a couple of months and really haven't done much with it. Like said, it's essentially Amazon's Cloud Player but that you seemingly have unlimited storage at this point. The thing I hate though is since there are data rates from AT&T, I'm always afraid of playing anything while on network as opposed to wifi so if I'm on wifi, more than likely I'm at home and can just play it from my PC.

I still don't have all of my music uploaded... I have around 3500 or so and with probably 5-7 overnight uploads, I'm currently at 2800 or so. That and there's no way to schedule it or limit the upload rate so if it's running, it's hogging up all of my bandwidth (thus doing it overnight).

JBHuskers
08-09-2011, 11:36 AM
The limit is 20,000 songs. Anyone know how to remove songs? There are some that Google added that I don't care about, but they did add some decent songs though.

In comparison to Amazon, it almost seems like this has some more functionality? Though I haven't really messed around with Amazon's cloud player much.

psuexv
08-09-2011, 11:38 AM
I've had this for a couple of months and really haven't done much with it. Like said, it's essentially Amazon's Cloud Player but that you seemingly have unlimited storage at this point. The thing I hate though is since there are data rates from AT&T, I'm always afraid of playing anything while on network as opposed to wifi so if I'm on wifi, more than likely I'm at home and can just play it from my PC.

I still don't have all of my music uploaded... I have around 3500 or so and with probably 5-7 overnight uploads, I'm currently at 2800 or so. That and there's no way to schedule it or limit the upload rate so if it's running, it's hogging up all of my bandwidth (thus doing it overnight).

Ahhh the one downfall to working from home :D

psuexv
08-09-2011, 11:39 AM
The limit is 20,000 songs. Anyone know how to remove songs? There are some that Google added that I don't care about, but they did add some decent songs though.

In comparison to Amazon, it almost seems like this has some more functionality? Though I haven't really messed around with Amazon's cloud player much.

Go to the song list view and to the right of the name their should be a corner arrow that you can expand and delete.

JBHuskers
08-09-2011, 11:45 AM
Go to the song list view and to the right of the name their should be a corner arrow that you can expand and delete.

Thanks buddy.

SmoothPancakes
08-09-2011, 10:06 PM
I have 4 invites if anyone wants in.

Still have some of those invites? I'm down for giving this a try.

psuexv
08-09-2011, 10:15 PM
Still have some of those invites? I'm down for giving this a try.

Shoot me a pm with your email

SmoothPancakes
08-09-2011, 10:18 PM
PM sent. Thanks man!

psuexv
08-10-2011, 09:03 AM
So I'm really confused. My invites disappeared. Weird thing is that I logged into Google + this morning and I have 150 of them, it was 8 yesterday :dunno:

Cody
08-13-2011, 04:55 PM
Anyone wanna invite me?

JBHuskers
09-01-2011, 01:32 PM
I have a couple of invites free if anyone wants to PM me their e-mail address. While I was gone in L.A., my near entire 12k song library was uploaded and sync'd with it. I'm really digging this. I wish playlists could be infinite so you can just run a playlist of all songs, but that's limited to 1000 songs.

Kwizzy
09-01-2011, 01:37 PM
I have 8 invites also so people can PM me too.

oweb26
09-01-2011, 03:42 PM
I just PMed you kwizzy
You too JB, so whoever sends it first gets to be my virtual buddy for awhile. lol

Kwizzy
09-01-2011, 04:51 PM
ha sent ya one... enjoy

oweb26
09-01-2011, 08:25 PM
Thanks kwizzy but you lost the opportunity to be my virtual buddy, being the post whore that is JB he naturally beat you to it. LOL

Its funny because I now have 8 invites. LOL

Kingpin32
09-02-2011, 12:30 PM
I'll take one of those invites.

gschwendt
09-02-2011, 12:43 PM
I'll take one of those invites.PM me your email and I'll send one to you. I have 8 invites as well.

JBHuskers
09-02-2011, 12:45 PM
I've definitely been listening to it a lot more at work now. Really digging it. With it being in beta, it will only gain more and more features.

JBHuskers
11-17-2011, 10:09 AM
It's out of beta as of today!

http://music.google.com

JBHuskers
07-16-2012, 04:02 PM
:D damn.

Looked at my songs uploaded and it's just topped 14,500.

Hopefully they offer a higher limit down the road. I shouldn't be close to the 20,000 limit any time soon. And even if I do push it, I know there is a bunch of stuff that was in my original library upload that I can delete.

ram29jackson
07-16-2012, 10:33 PM

Hopefully they offer a higher limit down the road. I shouldn't be close to the 20,000 limit any time soon. And even if I do push it, I know there is a bunch of stuff that was in my original library upload that I can delete.

this is free? all of that is on your computer ?

JBHuskers
07-16-2012, 10:40 PM
this is free? all of that is on your computer ?

Yes and yes.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

ram29jackson
07-16-2012, 10:45 PM
Yes and yes.

if this is a dumb question to you, I dont give a shit...how much space is that taking up? How can it not be so much space ?

JBHuskers
07-16-2012, 11:19 PM
if this is a dumb question to you, I dont give a shit...how much space is that taking up? How can it not be so much space ?

I dunno the space. I have some stored on a TB drive and some on the CPU HDD. Google Music is all stored in the cloud. If you want to do the math, an album is about 100 MB. Average of 12 songs per album.

SmoothPancakes
07-17-2012, 12:28 AM

I've got that beat by FAR (assuming that is also the total number of songs you have, and not just the songs you have uploaded to Google Music). I just pulled up my music library on my laptop, it currently is saying 76,036 songs.

I dunno the space. I have some stored on a TB drive and some on the CPU HDD. Google Music is all stored in the cloud. If you want to do the math, an album is about 100 MB. Average of 12 songs per album.

The hell if I know the exact number, but I have it all stored on my 2 TB external drive, and the best I can come up with right now is it is over 446 GB. That's the best my Music folder on the drive will tell me, without me actually going in and trying to tally up the exact total song by song, album by album, artist by artist, folder by folder.

ram29jackson
07-17-2012, 03:03 AM
well, i'm just wondering what it would look like on the pie chart of your hard drive..would it be a small or large section ? you guys seem to be saying its not that big?

in any case you have all that for free? I only glannced so far but I dont ee where all the free is? I have to make my own file first ? do I have to sign in with a google account etc ?

SmoothPancakes
07-17-2012, 03:50 AM
well, i'm just wondering what it would look like on the pie chart of your hard drive..would it be a small or large section ? you guys seem to be saying its not that big?

in any case you have all that for free? I only glannced so far but I dont ee where all the free is? I have to make my own file first ? do I have to sign in with a google account etc ?

For me, it'd be less than a fourth of the hard drive. My external drive is 2 TB, it's 446 GB for my Music folder. I also have a bunch of other stuff on that drive, with only 615 GB left free on the drive. Dozens of Steam games (plus other games that I bought via Amazon or in-store and installed all into a dedicated Games folder on the external drive), a File Dump folder of stuff I dumped into it from my laptop to clear up space on my laptop's own hard drive, backups of stuff, everything from my other external drive (500 GB external drive) that I moved over to free up that external drive for future use, and other miscellaneous stuff stored on it.

All in all, got a good amount of hard drive space. My laptop originally had 250 GB drive (C: drive), but the drive went bad and ended up with a 225 GB in it's place since that was all the computer shop here in town had in stock at the time, and it would have cost more to have a replacement 250 GB drive shipped in. I bought a 500 GB external drive (my E: drive) sometime back in 2010 for my music while the collection was still small and space storage was reasonable. And then I got a 2 TB external drive (my F: drive) last December when it was cheap and on sale on Amazon. So currently have 2.75 TB of storage space between my C: drive and two external drives. As for free space left, I have a total 1.102 TB of free space left between all three hard drives.

morsdraconis
07-17-2012, 05:47 AM
And, yet, I only have like 17 or 18 gigs worth of music, but I'm a terrible terrible snob that can barely listen to anything as it is so my collection is eclectic within the normal range of music interests that I have.

JBHuskers
08-16-2012, 12:40 PM
They updated the home screen to show the last 100 albums you've played instead of 15 :up: love it!