PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone having issues with DTs blowing up the inside on under center plays

mundo
07-31-2011, 05:14 PM
I have played prob double digit play now games with A&M that has a solid to good interior OL. I tend to mix it up pretty well and formation audible to inside runs when I have the CPU outnumbered. However, I am guessing 75% of the time, the DTs shuck there block by the time my RB gets to the line - especially on 3rd and 4th & 1. It basically allows th computer to not have to put an extra guy in the box even though the bulk of the time, my OL has had an equally high or higher rating. One game the opponent's 81 rated DT had 10 tackles. I have generally been able to get the run work well in past versions. Anyone else seeing this happening at all?

thanks

Pig Bomb
07-31-2011, 05:48 PM
what difficulty do you play on...the harder the level the more psychic the defense is... call a pass then sudible to a run for more success

mundo
07-31-2011, 06:12 PM
Should have added that I was on all American. Many of the runs are formation audibles to runs and I do appear to have them outnumbered.

I am kinda wondering if i am hitting a button as I hit the line that is triggering it

Pig Bomb
07-31-2011, 06:37 PM
defenders do tend to break free of tackles when you hit sprint for the runner... use sprint as late as possible

cjg225
07-31-2011, 08:02 PM
defenders do tend to break free of tackles when you hit sprint for the runner... use sprint as late as possible
Hmm. I should try that.

So many times, as soon as I get the handoff, I hit sprint and my OL just seem to let go of their blocks and go upfield. Not just one, but several at the exact same time and the DL just eats me alive at the LOS.

Also, has anyone noticed that the pre-snap blocking schemes aren't always right? For example, I'll see my fullback allegedly going to block the OLB on a run, but when I snap the ball and the play starts, my fullback just runs by the OLB towards... nothing... and I get blown up in the backfield. Happened many times with different players in different situations. And why does the blocking scheme change so much presnap? It'll flicker between showing several different sets. It's not because the defense is moving, either. The defense is standing still and the blocking scheme will flicker around and then disappear. I don't know who's actually going to block who.

mundo
07-31-2011, 08:14 PM
That could be it. I also picked up the habit of covering the ball as you get to the Line a couple years ago when fumbling was a problem in the game. I think both are so engrained in my muscle memory, I do it without thinking.

Sven Draconian
08-01-2011, 12:13 AM
Make sure you have good angles. You want the OL blocking the DL away from the hole you are running towards. A lot of the inside runs will have the center trying to block a NT playing the A-gap right in the running lane, or a guard trying to block a 3-tech. These are easy to shed for the DL.

Generally, you want good down blocks (Guards blocking the nose tackle, tackles blocking the DT) and then run outside of that block. Likewise, you want a good base block (TE/T blocking a DE/OLB lined up wider than they are) and run inside of them. Flip the play and audible until you get good angles.

cjg225
08-01-2011, 07:55 AM
Is there a way to affect the placement of run blocking before the snap? The cycling through various blocking sets makes it hard to judge sometimes.

Also, I tried another game last night and tried to not sprint until I was through the line. Sometimes it worked, other times the same stuff happened (where the DTs just instantly shed blocks at the exact same moment and my OL ran upfield together).

Pig Bomb
08-01-2011, 08:31 AM
Is there a way to affect the placement of run blocking before the snap? The cycling through various blocking sets makes it hard to judge sometimes.

Also, I tried another game last night and tried to not sprint until I was through the line. Sometimes it worked, other times the same stuff happened (where the DTs just instantly shed blocks at the exact same moment and my OL ran upfield together).

watch for the "jump snap" thing to pop up...sounds like the D might be jumping the snap and beating your o-line...change up the snap count and throw in a fake now and then

cjg225
08-01-2011, 08:55 AM
watch for the "jump snap" thing to pop up...sounds like the D might be jumping the snap and beating your o-line...change up the snap count and throw in a fake now and then
Yeah, I try to vary the snap count, but I invariably get several false starts per game. I've said this elsewhere, but I think one of the adjustments should be like the DL Aggression adjustment. Just like you can have your DL be more aggressive and jump the snap more, so to should you have an OL adjustment that makes them more conservative in getting off the snap, lessening the chance of a false start.

Using a hard count is practically impossible in this game because, at least with my OL, once you get to three fake snaps, you almost always get a false start. I probably get a false start on 40% of the the plays where I go with two fake snaps. I try to mix it up with 0 or 1 fake snaps just to avoid getting so many false start penalties. Of course, the CPU gets a false start maybe once every 3 or 4 games.

As for "Jump Snap, though, I don't mean that the DL is jumping the snap. Sometimes they do, but I am referring to when is what you mentioned above with regards to hitting sprint. The defenders are basically instantaneously shedding their blocks when I hit sprint to punch through the hole on a running play. I tried not using sprint so much last night, but I still had a lot of problems with multiple DL instantaneously shedding blocks at the exact same moment.

keyser soze
08-01-2011, 02:00 PM
The SPRINT button is EVIL, avoid it at all costs. I think it makes all defenders go into superman mode or something when you hit it.

jaymo76
08-01-2011, 02:23 PM
The SPRINT button is EVIL, avoid it at all costs. I think it makes all defenders go into superman mode or something when you hit it.

Honestly, this is the first year I have turned off auto sprint and I after an adjustment period, love it. Running is so much more natural!!!

baseballplyrmvp
08-01-2011, 07:37 PM
on an opposite kind of note, has anyone ever seen the cpu o-linemen take off like what they do on a screen pass (either wr or rb) yet neither the wr's or rb ran any kind of screen route?

jaymo76
08-01-2011, 11:43 PM
on an opposite kind of note, has anyone ever seen the cpu o-linemen take off like what they do on a screen pass (either wr or rb) yet neither the wr's or rb ran any kind of screen route?

I don't even run the HB screen anymore. It is pretty much a guaranteed fail for me everytime. The HB is never in position and drops the pass or the pass hits his helmet 9 times out of 10.

cjg225
08-02-2011, 10:06 AM
I don't even run the HB screen anymore. It is pretty much a guaranteed fail for me everytime. The HB is never in position and drops the pass or the pass hits his helmet 9 times out of 10.
Oh, that drives me INSANE. That happens to me so much with short passes.

mundo
08-05-2011, 07:33 PM
Definitely either the sprint or ball cover. Once I quit that, I had a ton more success.