View Full Version : Playstation Move Thread

JBHuskers
06-21-2010, 09:10 AM
As cdj noted in the E3 thread, here are the details for pre-order on Amazon:

PlayStation Move:
Starter bundle (game, Move, EyeToy) $100
Navigation controller: $30
Move + Navigation controller: $80
Games: $40 each (some regular games will have Move version included on disc)

I already have the EyeToy, would probably want to the Navigation controller, so I'll probably go that route. Right now Sorcery looks interesting, the sports game looks better than Kinect's or Wii's, and Heroes on the Move is anotehr game that looks nice. All for $40 to start, that is good. Not completely into the motion gaming, but eventually will be getting this.

gschwendt
06-21-2010, 09:29 AM
JB, did you get to play Tiger for the Move at the Tiger community event? Any thoughts?

I'm not a huge motion gamer but scorcery does look interesting and if I can get Wii style gameplay with great graphics and targeted to adults, I'm definitely intrigued.

cdj
06-21-2010, 09:31 AM
The lower game price and the fact that some games will include the Move version on the traditional game disc is a huge plus for me as well. I agree with G - better graphics, plus games (hopefully) targeted to adults has me at least paying attention.

JBHuskers
06-21-2010, 09:58 AM
JB, did you get to play Tiger for the Move at the Tiger community event? Any thoughts?

I'm not a huge motion gamer but scorcery does look interesting and if I can get Wii style gameplay with great graphics and targeted to adults, I'm definitely intrigued.

No I didn't.....back in February, I don't think everything was quite ready for us to play in regards to the Move.

Totally agree on Scorcery....watching it at E3, I was pretty impressed right away. Plus Heroes on the Move brings together a lot of the PS heroes like Jax and Daxter, Ratchet and Clank, I think Sly is in there too.

JBHuskers
06-21-2010, 05:14 PM
The three different presales items (navigation controller, $100 bundle, just the Move controller) are already 8th, 9th, and 10th in Amazon PS3 sales rankings. Expect that to move up in the rankings over the next couple weeks.

I OU a Beatn
06-22-2010, 02:13 AM
I'll buy it day one because it looks to be true 1:1 interaction with your body, and you don't have to stand up and wale your arms and body like an idiot. It can be used sitting down and using small movements. Plus, it can be used on actual AAA shooters, so that definitely has my interest peaked.

I'll never get into Kinect because a. I like having a controller of some sort in my hand, and b. it looks like it's only being used for cartoonish kids' games, which I'm definitely not interested in.

Cartman58
06-22-2010, 09:12 AM
It looks decent. I'll probably be interested because of the games that have been announced. I've heard it will work with MLB, Tiger Woods, Gran Turismo, and Sorcery. All four of those are games that I would purchase.

cdj
09-01-2010, 06:19 AM
Joystiq has posted a bunch of Move reviews, from games to the hardware itself.

Sports Champions (http://www.joystiq.com/2010/09/01/sports-champions-review/) 4.5/5
Kung Fu Rider (http://www.joystiq.com/2010/09/01/kung-fu-rider-review/) 2/5
Launch games (http://www.joystiq.com/2010/09/01/playstation-move-review-the-launch-games/)
Start the Party (http://www.joystiq.com/2010/09/01/start-party-review/) 3/5
Tumble (http://www.joystiq.com/2010/09/01/tumble-review/) 4.5/5
Racquet Sports (http://www.joystiq.com/2010/09/01/racquet-sports-review/) 4/5
The hardware and experience (http://www.joystiq.com/2010/09/01/playstation-move-review/)

JBHuskers
09-01-2010, 08:41 AM
Of those only Sports Champions I'd be interested. I'll probably wait til the new year once the smoke settles to get it. It'll be fun to get off the couch every now and again for a round of Tiger.

UGA14
09-01-2010, 10:27 AM
I don't get it, so the "starter" bundle on Amazon does not include the navigation controller? What the hell do you actually need?

I OU a Beatn
09-01-2010, 10:37 AM
The starter bundle comes with the game, the eyetoy, and the actual controller. If you want the navigation controller(for games like SOCOM, it's a necessity), you'll have to pony up an additional $30. Not all games require the sub controller.

JeffHCross
09-01-2010, 09:55 PM
It's like the nunchuck on Wii.

JeffHCross
09-01-2010, 09:58 PM
I did run into a couple of issues, however. The first being the fact that I have a coffee table in front of my couch. This is a problem (as is anything on top of a coffee table) in that, should you wish to play a game that tracks the Move's colorful orb while sitting, a table will prevent the PS Eye from seeing the orb – which is a problem in games like Tumble that have you placing the controller near the floor at times. Something as small as a sake set on my table was enough to create a "blind spot," actually.

Standing up should help, right? Well, it did – although pretty much all of the games' calibration screens (you usually have to point the Move controller at the PS Eye like a flashlight and hold the T or Move button) displayed an "ideal position" box for me to stand in, which had me moving roughly eight feet back from my TV. Basically, this is right to the limit of my "play environment" and, again in my case, meant that I couldn't reach down and to the right without bonking my coffee table with the controller. Of course, I tried moving within five feet of the PS Eye – in front of said table – and was told that I was too close.

The definition of "too close" or "too far" changed on a game-by-game basis, too. One would say eight feet, another five and yet another 3.3 (one meter). Playing Move games in my den – a small room where I sit maybe four feet from the TV – was hit or miss.Well, no Move for me ... not at first. No room.

I OU a Beatn
09-10-2010, 04:56 PM
Bought EyePet today. This next 7 days can not go fast enough for my girlfriend. :D

Can't wait to give this bad boy a try on something like SOCOM or Killzone.

I OU a Beatn
09-10-2010, 08:12 PM
LMAO (http://www.yaybuttons.com/) :D:D

morsdraconis
09-10-2010, 11:33 PM
LMAO (http://www.yaybuttons.com/) :D:D

:D

That's pretty clever stuff.

CLW
09-11-2010, 01:05 PM
It will be interesting to see how this pans out. I have a Wii and I occassionally use it to play games like Mario Kart, Punch Out etc... just for fun.

JeffHCross
09-11-2010, 06:44 PM
LMAO (http://www.yaybuttons.com/) :D:DAwesome.

cdj
09-18-2010, 12:23 PM
Anybody have the Move yet? (Looking in IOUs general direction)

I OU a Beatn
09-19-2010, 10:54 AM
I didn't get it yet. I've been too busy with Reach and Case Zero to even turn on my PS3. I'll be getting it within the next few weeks though.

I OU a Beatn
09-23-2010, 06:07 PM
Picking up Move Bundle, Nav Controller, and Eyepet tomorrow so I'll definitely post some impressions later on that night.

cdj
09-23-2010, 06:23 PM
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts. Probably going to get it as a Xmas gift, either from family or gift to myself. Maybe I haven't been looking hard enough, but I haven't seen any thoughts on it yet.

I OU a Beatn
09-23-2010, 06:32 PM
Oh, and FYI: Eyepet is for the girlfriend. I know how some of you Miley Cyrus lovers have been trying to get me to play it or an equally degrading game, but it's not happenin'! Also, if it happens to appear on my trophy list with a platinum next to it within a few weeks, it's probably a glitch in the system. ;)

JBHuskers
09-23-2010, 06:45 PM
Oh, and FYI: Eyepet is for the girlfriend. I know how some of you Miley Cyrus lovers have been trying to get me to play it or an equally degrading game, but it's not happenin'! Also, if it happens to appear on my trophy list with a platinum next to it within a few weeks, it's probably a glitch in the system. ;)

C'mon man, it's like a carrot dangling in front of you....how can you not pass up a 4-hour platinum regardless of the game. It's definitely more enjoyable than that turd of a game Terminator Salvation.

I OU a Beatn
09-23-2010, 07:03 PM
That's truly not saying much. In retrospect, if I was given the choice of being tortured for 9 hours or beating T:S, I'd probably pick the torture :D

I OU a Beatn
09-25-2010, 02:19 AM
Well...it's precise as hell. Absolutely a wonderful piece of technology. It's unbelievable just how accurate and smooth it is. I didn't get to mess around with it much tonight(only some XMB stuff and a game of Archery), but I'm loving it so far.

I OU a Beatn
10-19-2010, 10:14 PM
Picked up Time Crisis: Razing Storm today. This is where the Move tech really shines. It brings back the memories of playing the arcade shooters when I used to go to the movies 15 minutes early just to play some arcade games. The Move is deadly accurate and precise, so it feels just like you're at the arcade. I played it for about 2 hours tonight and had an absolute blast...while sitting down. Move > NATAL.

JBHuskers
10-20-2010, 10:44 AM
heard John Daly's Pro Stroke Golf is a decent title for the Move....but don't get it at full price, wait til a price drop.

CLW
10-21-2010, 09:59 AM
I'm thinking about picking up the Move stuff. Do these games have PSN trophies associated with them as well?

I OU a Beatn
10-21-2010, 10:59 AM
Yes, all Move games have platinum trophies as well.

JBHuskers
10-21-2010, 12:31 PM
Gamestop deal of the day is ALL accessories 25% off, NOW would be a good time to get the Move. I'm already getting it for xmas, but did use the discount on the Navigation Controller. It's a hell of a deal.

GameStop (10/21 only) 25% off all in-stock accessories! (Some restrictions apply; online only) http://ht.ly/2XfBQ

CLW
10-21-2010, 01:54 PM
Is there like a Move "bundle"? I.e. a package to buy everything needed/wanted for the Move? I have like $150 in Amazon Gift Cards for filling out stupid surveys I need to use before I accidently delete the e-mails.

JBHuskers
10-21-2010, 02:27 PM
Is there like a Move "bundle"? I.e. a package to buy everything needed/wanted for the Move? I have like $150 in Amazon Gift Cards for filling out stupid surveys I need to use before I accidently delete the e-mails.

yes....and the price dropped $5 - http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-Move-Starter-Bundle-3/dp/B002I0J4NE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1287689231&sr=8-1

IGN just reviewed the gun attachement....for $19.99, sounds like a good accessory.

http://gear.ign.com/articles/112/1129061p1.html

CLW
10-22-2010, 09:53 AM
yes....and the price dropped $5 - http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-Move-Starter-Bundle-3/dp/B002I0J4NE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1287689231&sr=8-1

IGN just reviewed the gun attachement....for $19.99, sounds like a good accessory.

http://gear.ign.com/articles/112/1129061p1.html

Nice. Although the wife may not approve even if it is free being this "close" to Christmas.

cdj
11-30-2010, 10:34 AM
A pretty impressive start.

PLAYSTATIONŽMOVE MOTION CONTROLLER SALES REACH OVER 4.1 MILLION UNITS WORLDWIDE

Tokyo, November 30, 2010 – Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCEI) today announced that the sales of PlayStationŽMove motion controller for the PlayStationŽ3 (PS3Ž) computer entertainment system reached over 4.1 million units worldwide*1. The milestone was reached in just 2 months since its release in September for North America, Europe/PAL territories and Asia, and 1 month since the release in October for Japan. The number not only shows clear success of the launch of the new motion sensing controller but also indicates positive momentum going in to the holiday season and to the year 2011.

cdj
12-24-2010, 01:49 AM
Got the Move as an Xmas gift from the (future) sister-in-law and her husband. Only played a bit of Top Darts, Sackboy's Prehistoric Moves, and purchased (but yet to play) Tumble. The tech seems pretty cool and I like the potential. I'm anxious to play some Tiger Woods 11 with it.

JBHuskers
12-27-2010, 10:48 AM
Got the Move for Christmas too....wow it's fun. Played Tumble and Sports Champions. Sports Champions is very basic...but still pretty fun. Going to probably give Top Darts and Sackboy a try tonight. Very excited for Socrery now...if it ever gets a release date.

cdj
12-27-2010, 04:24 PM
Sackboy's Prehistoric Moves is a two-player (or more) game. One person mans the Move to activate levers, switches, pads, etc which allows those controlling Sackboy(s) to go throughout the levels.

cdj
05-06-2012, 06:10 PM
A game that showcased the Move back when the peripheral was first announced is finally coming out on May 22 - Sorcery (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003O6HAS2/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=thegamtai-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B003O6HAS2) and Amazon has it for $37.

Here is the first dev diary for the game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUJKHdkgRfU

Rudy
05-07-2012, 04:28 AM
I got the Move cheap to try it out on MLB 12 the Show. There is too much lag in the swing and it makes it too hard to use in an actual game. The Move pitching is really just meter pitching and doesn't fully utilize the Move. The only cool thing is the HR derby.

We got Eyepet for the kids and it was fun for a little bit and now collects dust. Start the Party is a cool party type of game that the kids enjoy as well. We've tried the demo with Deadmund's Quest which is supposed to be one of the better games but my son found it a bit scary lol and it is actually better if you have two move controllers. The Sorcery game could be cool. I don't have Sports Champions although the demo was fun (frisbee golf). May have to pick that one up cheap later. Don't have any dance games.

The good thing about the Move now is that the games are really cheap. Overall it's a niche market and the games are limited and often not very deep. I've read it's great with Tiger Woods 13 but haven't even tried the demo out with it. That's probably the only sports game where it makes a lot of sense.

Rudy
05-27-2012, 02:17 PM
Well I got that great deal on Sorcery where I got the game, the navigation controller and free shipping for $40 plus tax. The game itself is pretty fun. The graphics are mediocre but the two main characters (one you control and the cat sidekick) have a pretty good story and voice acting. This is the first full game (not party games) I have ever played with motion controls that actually felt like the controls were a positive and not some side gimmick to sell extra controllers. The Move controller works well with the spells and it feels good plus there are some strategies.

My 7 year old son has played most of the time (I've played a little myself) with me watching a lot. We've also had it on the lowest difficulty (apprentice) so he doesn't get frustrated and for the most part he has rarely died. He's up to the 4th magic power (fire) now and there are six in the game. Most reviews have been average with the criticisms being that the game is short. I don't think it's fair to compare game length of a $40 game to a full $60 game imo. It probably is short so I would suggest playing on a harder difficulty so it takes a little longer. I have no clue how hard the game is on the higher difficulties but there are four settings.

The time you are playing is fun and the new powers the game introduces keeps the game from feeling repetitive. There are actually quite a few things to do with the 6 main powers you get through the game (secondary things with them too) plus a shield. You can't jump up on things and the game is on rails (not open world) which is a good thing for younger gamers imo. Some different potions you get also add some variety throughout.

The games powers and controls develop nicely so you are never really confused as to how to do things. The one area where we have neglected is the potions. You have to collect a bunch of things and try mixing them together which provide powers and upgrades for your abilities. We only have four but there are tons of slots for new potions and upgrades that we should have by now but don't. There is an alchemist who shows up occassionally that you can buy and sell stuff and I think we have screwed that part up. Since we are on Apprentice it hasn't hurt us.

Overall though my son loves it and I've enjoyed playing and watching.

gigemaggs99
05-27-2012, 11:20 PM
I've read it's great with Tiger Woods 13 but haven't even tried the demo out with it. That's probably the only sports game where it makes a lot of sense.

I'm not expert but this is my opinion. I bought the move and eye camera along w/ Tiger Woods 13. I really like putting w/ the move controller it seems more like "feel putting" vs using the dual-shock controller and trying to time your putt w/ that silly swing meter/bar.

Chipping and pitching also work quite well.

The problem I have is the full swing. Whereas w/ the dual-shock controller I can I pretty much get perfect/perfect on 9 our of 10 swings (tour difficulty) with the Move I'm all over the place. To get a "full swing" I have to really exaggerate the backswing. If you watch YouTube videos of it the guy modeling it has a HORRIBLE CHICKEN WING which I was taught in golf is a big no no, b/c you would start coming "over the top" (inducing a cutting/slicing action on the ball....producing your slide or strong fade). As far as a real "on swing plane swing" I don't think the Move copies it 100%. If you roll you hands through impact like you're supposed to in real life the MOVE PULL/Hooks the ball. Rolling your hands over in real life should induce a slight draw but not as much as the video game adds.

I've found I can hit a "perfect" follow-thru using the move is I force my hands to NOT rollover and actually "stay open" which in real life would lead to a horrible slice.

The disappointing thing is, if I go to the range on TW13 and only swing the Move with my right-hand and exaggerate the wrist cupping on the top of the backswing then follow-thru on what i would call an "open finish" the Move will register a Perfect/Perfect. So it feels like I'm tricking it.

I've been playing golf in real life since H/S so a good 17 years now, I can tell you there is no way I'd swing a full swing like this in real life. Even if I swung my club one handed, I'd still turn my right-hand over through impact and keep it on the swing plane and moving towards my left shoulder/ear, not way out in front of my body like I was trying to do some abbreviated knock-down shot follow-through.

Besides turning the controller on and off all the time. I'd like to know if there is way for me to do a full swing w/ my dual-shock controller and all the short game stuff w/ the move. The move does work well w/ 25-75% shots, i.e. 58 yard GW swings. I like it for that. It's just the full-swing that's too fickle.

I'm not saying I'm a great golfer in real life, but if I take an 8-iron and aim at the 150 flag at the driving range I can put them within a 10-20' circle. On TW13, one will be dead on the stick, the next will be 30 yards left, the next will be 30 yards past the flag, the next will be 10 yards short, it's like shooting a shotgun, or it would be like going to a driving range in real life where they have used old range balls, water soaked ranged balls and each one is MASSIVELY different, ones with cuts in them, etc...

It's a fun toy, but I'm not sure how you can be consistent with it. I'm glad I have it, it's fun, just not 100% like hitting real golf balls or taking swings at a golf shop on their swing analyzer.

gigemaggs99
05-28-2012, 10:15 AM
Update: I tried the Move out on TW 12, I had better results on the driving range. I was able to be more consistent with my swing. Maybe it's bc of the new swing tempo on TW13.

I put TW13 back in and dropped the difficulty to amateur, now I'm able to get very good results w/ the MOVE. It seems on Tour Pro difficulty the Move is too sensitive. An example, when you are on Tour Pro and you address the ball the little arrow indicating the direction of your swing plane is skipping around (left, right, left...bounce bounce bounce) even if I hold my hand really still the arrow will move ever so slightly. If I put the difficulty on amateur and hold my hands still at address the arrow remains motionless. I was able to get consistent results swing after swing on the range with woods and irons using the Move. I spent about an hour working on it.

So I guess you just have to find what works. I like the idea of Tour Pro difficulty but the wide range or error is too much. Maybe after I build my golfer's skills up and get better equipment it will be more fun. Right now, if I put it on Tour Pro and go to the range. I select a 9-iron for example and aim at a target 129 yards away, one swing will be "green" but it will go around 118 yards. The next will be yellow and hook about 20 yards to the right. I don't see how I'm making that much difference. I have a rug in my living room that has a line on it, I attempt to swing "up and down" that line to create a straight swing plane. It's strange how on Amateur difficulty when I swing on this "line" I get Perfect/Perfect. When I do the exact same swing on Tour Pro it's all over the place.

I understand it's not possible to be perfect in golf in real life. I just don't know how to make the correct adjustments on Tour Pro with the Move. I can swing 2 times, to me what feels like the exact same swing and the results will be drastically different. To compare it to using the dual-shock it would be like making a perfect down and up (6 o'clock to 12 o'clock) swing one time and then on the next swing something like 4 o'clock to 10 o'clock. When you swing w/ the dual-shock you can see and tell/feel a difference between the 6-12 and 4-10. With the Move I can't see a difference but the Move picks it up and it sprays the ball all over the place.

So, to keep it fun I'd suggest using the amateur setting if you're using the Move. It's not cool to make a good swing and put the ball in the fairway off the tee, then on your very next swing, swing identical and pull the approach shot 20 yards to the left. That makes GIR's impossible.

Rudy
05-28-2012, 08:46 PM
That's a nice write-up for TW. Can you adjust sliders for yourself on Amateur to make it difficult enough for you?

gigemaggs99
05-29-2012, 10:27 AM
That's a nice write-up for TW. Can you adjust sliders for yourself on Amateur to make it difficult enough for you?

That's the problem, if I use the dual-shock, NO it's too easy. It doesn't matter what level I have the game set on, I don't use the spin or power stuff that isn't realistic.

Using the MOVE on amateur is pretty fun, you still hit bad shots it's not like the regular controller where you can get perfect shots 99% of the time. In real life I had bad shots all the time. I guess if I was to compare it to real life, say I make 2 exact same swing, one puts my ball on the green on an approach, say 150 yards with an 8-iron. Then all of a sudden on the 2nd attempt I pull the ball 30 yards left and only hit it 120 yards. I'd be scratching my head thinking, ok what in the world just happened.

This is how I feel using the MOVE on Tour difficulty. I don't know why 2 swings can produce such dramatically different results.

So yes, to answer your question, I use the Move on Amateur, it's still fun to play the game that way.

When I use the dual-shock controller I play on Tour Mode and am still working on building my golfer up. Last night I had my best round yet a -6 at Valhalla. I'm not the best at this game but it's fun so I enjoy it, in the end that's what it's all about for me, it's a game and it should be fun.