PDA

View Full Version : Flexbone frustrations

Keontez
07-18-2011, 09:21 PM
Im usually the type of guy that sticks with one playbook and try to get things to work for me, but this year EA has made that very hard for me to do. I'm a Flexbone/ Spread Option guy and in my talks with other Flexboners, we've come to the conclusion that EA has absolutely neutered the Flexbone playbooks by taking a number of plays out of the Flexbone books. IE:

- Flexbone Normal - Fake Toss Pass. Great play and is needed now that the Toss is back viable.

- Flexbone Normal - FB Load Option Pass, I know theres the FB Load Option Strong Pass but its not the same this play worked a hell of a lot better than the one with the counter motion and passing concept made since.

- Flexbone Normal - FB Seams, Just a bang up play when facing players who load up the box and go with 1 high safety.

- Flexbone Normal Speed Option Pass, Passing plays are off of Option looks are very important in this offense. Especially, When the Triple Option pass plays have been instant sacks since they added them in 10.

- Flexbone Split Formation, The only formation to have a WR Sweep or a Dive/Trap play off of the Wing Sweep motion. I still cant, for the life of me, figure out why this formation was taken out.

- Flexbone Split X/Z Wing - Triple Option to the Awayside, With the extra blocker to the backside these plays were great to hold the backside contain. The removal of these plays make the playbooks useless making the formation predictable when your opponent sees that all of your runs are going to the the TE side.

- Flexbone Trips/Trio Right - Wr Mid Screen, in 10 the flexbone had 1 screen play, EA added these plays in 11, and ripped them out of the play book in 12. I understand that we have a GT Bubble screen which is great... Some of us are kinda 50/50 on if these plays were needed, but we all agree that these were great to have.

- Flexbone Trips Left - Corner Cross - I absolutely fell in love with this play towards the end of 11's season and almost had a aneurism when I saw that this play was removed for what I guess was Post Curl

- Flexbone Trips Left - FB Option, I understand that you gave us the Quick Option to the Trips side, but if I could, I'd love to showcase the fact how important the Wingback Blocking on the edge is now. You line up in a trips formation, and your opponent calls man and lines a player up directly over the WB with the way the programing is this year thats play accounts for a instant loss. If the pitch player was the FB instead of the WB, that player gets blocked and the play is more potent in a trips scheme.

With that being said, we all clamored to praise your work when we saw things added to the flexbone playbooks. The FB Draw was MUCH MUCH needed. We also greatly appreciate the WB Dive added to the close formation (but can we get the FB tuned to block correctly instead of running outside to tackle to block? PURTY PLEASE!?) The Bubbles are great. And the fix to the backside pursuits on the Triple Option and Midline are very much appreciated. But there are still some improvements us Optioneers would like to see. (Flexbone Trips- Slot Triple Options would be a dream come true.)

The majority of guys who play this game are split between two groups, X's and O's wise. You have your Pro-Style guys and then you have your Spread guys. We're just asking a for a bone to be thrown our way. We understand that you guys want to try to cut the size of the playbooks down and remove plays to make room for new ones but if your going to do that take out the flippable plays from Normal and Close. Why should we have 2 Toss plays when we could use 1 and flip it to the other side if need be?

Hopefully you guys see this or one of the CD guys point you in this direction. The very small community that I'm speaking for would love it if some of the old play could some how get patched or tuned back in. Or just fix the FB's blocking on the WB Dive.

/rant

Thanks for your time.

BaylorBearBryant
07-18-2011, 09:34 PM
Lol, he said flexboners.

But I do agree. The flexbone should get some love. I really like using that formation.

SpreadOption
07-18-2011, 09:40 PM
In agreement here.

The way they set up the play books, the only formations that really make sense to come out in are normal, close, twins, and maybe slot left, trips/trio right.

Also when going through the custom books, I took out half the plays in almost each formation (the flippable ones)

Sven Draconian
07-18-2011, 09:44 PM
Yup, very disapointed in the pass game from the flexbone. Too few concepts spread into too many formations. I could live with only a few formations if it had every play in each formation (Sweep, Toss, midline, FB load, Speed...with arc and with counter motion ect...). Instead, we have 10 flexbone formations (or so) and 25% of the offense in each book.

morsdraconis
07-19-2011, 07:14 AM
Yeah, I gave up on the Flexbone last year and haven't even touched it this year. Until the playbooks for it are severely fleshed out and the outside blocking is improved (where blitzing LBs don't mean automatic backfield sacks), there's just no playing with the Flexbone against someone that knows what the hell they are doing.

The U
07-22-2011, 03:25 PM
In the past games the flexbone has been really hard for me to use. My high school ran it and I really wanted to try and relive the glory days. For me a nice surprise was that this year I actually found it to be better than in years past. I do recognize some of your issues that you brought up. On the WB toss plays it seems the the other WB will never block the first guy and I always have to race to the corner for yards. The Flexbone is a hard offense, but a fun one.

BYU 14
07-22-2011, 04:28 PM
+1 from me too, I have coached Wing T for years and this is the closet thing the game has to it, so I would love to see it tightened up a bit.

I also laughed at "us Flexboners" :)

gigemaggs99
08-18-2011, 03:11 PM
I have a question about the flexbone.

I'm attempting to run the RnS thru the flexbone plays, alla Salukifan's various schemes...

If the Flexbone is normally a running offensing (option based) I assume the O-lineman are better as run blocking.

However, if I want to have the passing threat of the RnS do I recruit pass blocking O-lineman or should I go with Balanced?

From what I've seen if I try and do some flexbone running with a team that is normally a passing or spread team I get blown up. I assume this is b/c the O-line is better suited for pass blocking.

Am I on the right track? Or am I way off on this one?

I don't mind losing a few games for a season or 2, as long as I can get the right personnel in to run my system.