PDA

View Full Version : Player Ratings and Game Mechanics

confuzius
07-18-2011, 07:47 PM
I just posted the following to the Wish Lists. Disclaimer: I did perform a search, the terms unfortunately span hundred of posts that do not address this issue specifically.

EA needs to do 1 of 2 things.

Officially disclose a comprehensive breakdown of the different player ratings and their effect on game mechanics.

Publicly state that it is there policy not to provide this information and instruct all EA Game Changer portals to feature this information until the policy changes. This would help prevent countless hours being wasted by thousands of players as they scour the web for an answer which does not exist.

Hopefully they would also provide a reason for that policy.

Here is a link to a relatively recent EA official attempting to provide some insight into ratings and gameplay.

http://ncaastrategies.com/utopiaarchives/showpost.php?p=2263900&postcount=50

Is anyone aware of a newer or more comprehensive game mechanics post that comes from an official EA source? To be clear, I am not interested in someone who spent hours in the lab and reported there own findings. In my opinion, unless you can look at the source code or talk to the people who can, it is all speculation.

Regards,
confuzius

JeffHCross
07-18-2011, 10:32 PM
Other than that one post you linked to, I'm not aware of any official EA posts, from any source, regarding ratings.

Gotmadskillzson
07-19-2011, 11:27 AM
The only other "official source" is the inside cover of the Madden 10 Prima Strategy guide. Probably is in the Madden 11 strategy guide as well. I do know it isn't in the NCAA 12 guide. However it is just general vague description of what the rating word means, the same definition you could have gotten from a dictionary.

3 or 4 years ago Ian Cumming and Russ Kiniry did write what "awareness means" in a couple of their blogs on EA's website. You probably have to look in the archives because they were talking about this before Madden 10 and NCAA 10 came out, so it had to have been written in 2008.

Pig Bomb
07-19-2011, 12:24 PM
The only other "official source" is the inside cover of the Madden 10 Prima Strategy guide. Probably is in the Madden 11 strategy guide as well. I do know it isn't in the NCAA 12 guide. However it is just general vague description of what the rating word means, the same definition you could have gotten from a dictionary.

3 or 4 years ago Ian Cumming and Russ Kiniry did write what "awareness means" in a couple of their blogs on EA's website. You probably have to look in the archives because they were talking about this before Madden 10 and NCAA 10 came out, so it had to have been written in 2008.

whenever i've heard developers talk about the ratings it is always a surprise and the ratings never effect the game as I [and most people] thought they did

for example some ratings are mostly for simming and not user controlled games and thus have little or no impact when you are controlling a player

Gotmadskillzson
07-19-2011, 01:27 PM
Yeah I already heard several of them say Run block and Pass block is just for simming games, not in game play. Same thing Truck. IT would be nice if SOMEBODY ask them what is the cut off of number is for these different ratings when it comes to triggering different animations and the frequency of players doing certain things.

For example:

If you want the cpu to do more spin moves "put the spin move rating at this number or higher"
If you want to make Devin Hester, "put the return rating at this number or higher"

You know stuff like that. It would greatly help the modding community who like making rosters and have them play more life like.

Can't be that hard to find out considering they are in contact with these people on a weekly and in some cases, daily basis. Got their emails, Gamer Tags, phone numbers, Twitter accounts and all that.

I mean seriously.........Call Dewiel, Roy Harvey, Mike Scant or something. Should take no longer then 5 minutes or so to do.

confuzius
07-20-2011, 09:16 AM
Heya Madskillz,

I was the guy that called in and brought this up on the OS radio show on Monday. Not to plug another community, but Chris and Christian said they were on a mission to get this info prior to the Madden release. Hopefully they can deliver :).