PDA

View Full Version : HD Televisions

CLW
06-15-2010, 10:31 AM
Believe it or not, there are people out there (including yours truly) who still have not bit the bullet and purchased at least on HD set for their home. :eek:

The last set I got was a free "gift" (I received "points" during lawschool for signing into Lexis and Westlaw's online research that I used to get the t.v.). It is a decent standard def set which of course the wife uses against me saying "there is nothing wrong with our current t.v."

However, she has recently relented (somewhat) and indicated that I can "start looking" for a set and that we can "discuss it" once I have done the necessary research/can explain the features of why this set is better than that set to her.

Neither of us is really interested in 3D. However, it looks like most of the newer models are coming with 3D now.

I'm also somewhat confused as to the pros/cons of Plasma v. LCD v. LED if any.

Any suggestion(s) on sets I should look at? (looking to spend no more than $6K)

I OU a Beatn
06-15-2010, 11:13 AM
If you're willing to go up to $6,000 on a TV, you're definitely going to want a Plasma 3D ready TV whether you say you want 3D now or not. A lot of people have varied opinions on this, but as far as I'm concerned, it's the future. There's a bunch of early models out now that support 3D and the general consensus is that it is much, MUCH better on a Plasma screen than LCD.

With that said, Plasma TVs, from my experience, have more problems with burn in. Now, this isn't nearly as big of a problem as it used to be, so as long as you're not going to leave you TV on the same paused screen for hours and hours at a time, it shouldn't be an issue. Plasma's also have less glare from what I've seen, and the picture seems to "pop" more than anything I've seen on LCD.

If I had to pick, I'd go with this. (http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-PN58C8000-58-Inch-1080p-Plasma/dp/B0036WT41U/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1276618028&sr=8-2) It's well within your budget, it's very nicely sized at 58 inches, you're set for the future with 3D(even comes with 2 pairs of glasses and your choice of a bluray player or 3d home theater), and Samsung TVs have been receiving the highest reviews so far for 3D TVs.

Hopefully others can offer their input as well, but I'd definitely get a Plasma that is 3D ready.

CLW
06-15-2010, 12:38 PM
Thanks for the input. I've heard good things about Samsung and just sort of messing around this LED set peaked my interest:

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN55C8000-55-Inch-1080p-HDTV/dp/B0036WT4KG

Flav
06-15-2010, 12:45 PM
Question, why would you get a 3d tv right now when there aren't 3d channels or anything?

gschwendt
06-15-2010, 01:05 PM
Question, why would you get a 3d tv right now when there aren't 3d channels or anything?
Because that content is coming. Rather than buy a TV today and it be outdated in a year, he can buy a nice TV and keep it for the life of the product.

My TV is 3D-Ready (have to buy glasses & transmitter) but truth be told, it wasn't a reason for purchase... it was just a great price on a good TV.

I OU a Beatn
06-15-2010, 01:06 PM
PS3 rolled out an update earlier this year that made it capable of playing 3D games. Another update is coming out later that makes it compatible with 3D movies. It's definitely the future, but the future is happening now. If the budget on a TV is $6,000, then you DEFINITELY want to have a 3D enabled TV for when it inevitably becomes more popular and known. By this time next year, they'll be much more common.

CLW, that's the exact TV I'm looking to purchase later this year as well. I'm hoping for a fairly decent price drop by around Christmas time, but I definitely want a 3D TV for whenever Killzone 3 comes out.

CLW
06-15-2010, 02:06 PM
PS3 rolled out an update earlier this year that made it capable of playing 3D games. Another update is coming out later that makes it compatible with 3D movies. It's definitely the future, but the future is happening now. If the budget on a TV is $6,000, then you DEFINITELY want to have a 3D enabled TV for when it inevitably becomes more popular and known. By this time next year, they'll be much more common.

CLW, that's the exact TV I'm looking to purchase later this year as well. I'm hoping for a fairly decent price drop by around Christmas time, but I definitely want a 3D TV for whenever Killzone 3 comes out.

So, I'm a little confused now. Before you recomended a Samsung Plasma over an LED but your looking at a Samsung LED intead of a plasma?

Rudy
06-15-2010, 03:59 PM
I think 3DTV is just too expensive right now for the small amount of content available. That technology will be much cheaper in a couple years and is only worth it now if you've got deep pockets.

LED TVs are LCD TVs with just a better lighting system making them thinner. I'd go LED as they aren't that much more money than an LCD right now. Definitely get a 120Hz, 1080p TV. Heck, Amazon.com had a 42" LG 240Hz LED TV for $1063 a couple weeks ago. Samsung has a great picture. I think LG gets you good bang for your buck - not the greatest picture but a good picture for a good price. Look for good deals. Price will certainly impact your decision.

xGRIDIRONxGURUx
06-15-2010, 06:06 PM
im sorry... but i couldnt take this thread serious after the drop of "no more than 6k"

i will say that my HD box from direct is now 3D ready... got the update after i got back from the beach... but i wont be buying a 3D TV anytime soon, as a matter of fact were moving into a new house and i picked up a new 47" Philips LCD... theres no way you will need a 3D tv before this time next year and feel "out-dated"

so regardless of the whole ridiculous budget posted, spend 1600-1800 tops... and get a solid TV and in a year, IF (big IF) the industry has moved to the 3D as they are trying to, then you can look into that stuff then... otherwise, if you buy a 3D tv now, and you have DirecTV then you can enjoy a whopping 3 channels... no other TV provider offers it that i know of...

"E"

Flav
06-15-2010, 06:11 PM
I would rather wait and buy an LED right now then once 3d tvs become more popular you can get them cheaper and they will be more advanced as well.

I OU a Beatn
06-15-2010, 06:35 PM
So, I'm a little confused now. Before you recomended a Samsung Plasma over an LED but your looking at a Samsung LED intead of a plasma?

I said for the most part, plasmas are better than LCD's when it comes to 3D. The TV you posted is one of the exceptions. Of course, you're going to pay more for it, but that's the one I was intending on buying later this year when I actually start shopping for one. Considering I play a lot of sports games where the scoreboard stays in the same place the whole game, I want an LED just to minimize the chances of getting some burn in on the screen.

CLW
06-15-2010, 06:46 PM
im sorry... but i couldnt take this thread serious after the drop of "no more than 6k"

I wasn't "showing off" or anything like that. I gave my maximum budget b/c I have seen sets going for more than $6K.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+-+55%22+Class+/+1080p+/+240Hz+/+3D+LED-LCD+HDTV/9830614.p?id=1218180648621&skuId=9830614

Usually, when you go to make a "major" purchase and you are looking for advice you usually need to give a budget/range so that people can give you some help/suggestions. It would be like going to a Realtor looking for your "dream home" and looking at 10 million dollar homes when you "only" have a 1 million dollar budget.

xGRIDIRONxGURUx
06-15-2010, 07:36 PM
well... anyone that drops 6k for a TV should wake up everyday and smack themselves... like buying the blu ray players when they first dropped but could only watch a handful of movies... obviously the switch over to blu ray is totally another story compared to going 3D, but the same principle still applies... i wasnt saying you were showing off, but seriously drop your budget, b/c like i posted... 6k tv's are useless for about another year or more... i only know of one place with 3 channels and thats DirecTV, and im not even considering anything 3D from them in the next 2 years, until prices even out as usual...

i understand the whole point of asking opinions, but i would put my limit at 2k... maybe 2500 depending on if you want LCD/LED... anything above that, you will just be stuvck explaining a bunch of stuff to your wife for the next year... she wont be able to see the difference between LCD/LED/Plasma... no wife can... or at least they pretend not to... but anyways... id save the 3D LED stuff for your next purchase... b/c while there may be some differences in LCD/LED... you wont be able to tell that much, and the 3D stuff doesnt exist honestly enough to own a TV and that even coming from a "guy"... if i cant rationalize within myself owning one, theres no way i would even mention 3D tv's in conversation with my wife... no way... lol other than... "honey, did you hear about the new 3D tv's that will be in full swing in a year or so?" ... other than that... i stick with current LCD and keep the specs up in your choice...

what size are you looking for... rather than pick a budget $ and going with that... shop around online for the size you want... then window shop some deals on some comparable to it, or maybe find a good deal on the one you want... otherwise you will just get a ton of opinions from a bunch of dudes that DONT have to listen to your wife when the argument goes south over what tv you should get lol...

stay happily married... lower the budget... wait on technology... =)

"E"

I OU a Beatn
06-16-2010, 10:16 AM
I don't get that whole "buy one now and wait for 3D later." Why not buy ONE TV with 3D capability so you don't have to buy 2 TVs within the next few years?

It's the same thing as Bluray. Everyone said it wouldn't work out and it would flop within a year, and after so many years of being on the market, it clearly has not flopped. 3D TV is already possible on the PS3. RIGHT NOW you could play a few games in 3D on your PS3. Besides, it's not like you are required to use the 3D. It'll work just fine with standard channels.

As far as I'm concerned, buy a name brand TV that has a good warranty and 3D compatibility so you don't have to buy another in the near future and you're set for 3D. You don't have to spend $6,000 to get a good, large, 3D TV, though. $2500 should do it.

gschwendt
06-16-2010, 10:54 AM
I got my 60" Mitsubishi DLP that's 3D ready (1080p, 240hz) for $800. It's not the elite picture that Samsung is but it's still a really good picture and has really good reviews from avsforum.com.

I OU a Beatn
06-16-2010, 11:05 AM
Do you have a link to that?

Kingpin32
06-16-2010, 11:07 AM
I think the next TV I'll get will be a 3DTV. Probably one of those Sony Bravias, but I don't plan on getting one til I get out of school. I'm still happy with my 32" Vizio.

gschwendt
06-16-2010, 11:17 AM
Do you have a link to that?
Looks like I lied, it's actually 120hz, not 240 if that's a deal-breaker. As well bear in mind that it's a 2009 model... although I believe the 2010 models are very similar.

Anyway, I got it from Dell when they were running a sale before the Super Bowl. As I posted in the Deals Thread, they've since had it for the same or cheaper than I paid. Here was the link on slickdeals at that time...
http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/34706?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+SlickdealsnetFP+(SlickDeals.net +Frontpage)&utm_content=Google+Feedfetcher

Google Shopping puts it around $1050 now.

I OU a Beatn
06-16-2010, 11:32 AM
Damn, that is a good deal. I wish I had seen that when it was still under $800. The minimum requirement for 3D is 120hz, so you're definitely good to go there. I'm definitely going to have to keep an eye out for a deal that good, even though I'm sure that TV is well worth even $1,000.

gschwendt
06-16-2010, 11:36 AM
Damn, that is a good deal. I wish I had seen that when it was still under $800. The minimum requirement for 3D is 120hz, so you're definitely good to go there. I'm definitely going to have to keep an eye out for a deal that good, even though I'm sure that TV is well worth even $1,000.
Watch slickdeals... that TV (or the 65") seem to be on sale every few weeks. If I see it, I'll try to post here.

CLW
06-16-2010, 12:46 PM
Other than CNET are there any (reputable) sites out there that sort of compare/contrast/rank HD sets?

Also, IOUI found that Samsun LED set you were looking for for just under $2500 on a website.

http://www.avindemand.com/index.php/samsung-un55c8000.html

JBHuskers
06-16-2010, 12:46 PM
I dunno if I'm in the minority, but I'm just not interested in 3D at all.

CLW
06-16-2010, 12:49 PM

I'm not either. However, it seems that most of the newer sets with the best pictures have 3D as well.

ebin
06-16-2010, 12:58 PM

Nope, I feel the same way. Of course, the first time I see a college football game in 3D, I'll probably change my mind. :)

Flav
06-16-2010, 01:05 PM
I'm gonna feel so dumb wearing 3D glasses while watching tv haha.

CLW
06-16-2010, 01:43 PM
I'm gonna feel so dumb wearing 3D glasses while watching tv haha.

well your in luck my friend for the low low payment of 10,000 you can get 3D laser eye surgery. that's right no more wearing glasses just to watch your favorite 3D flick. ;-)

gschwendt
06-18-2010, 12:34 PM
For anyone that has a 3DTV or getting one, PS3 has demos of their 3D titles MLB: The Show, Wipeout HD, Super Stardust HD, and Motorstorm. I'm downloading them now so that if/when I jump into 3D, I'll make sure to have them.

gschwendt
06-20-2010, 08:58 AM
Damn, that is a good deal. I wish I had seen that when it was still under $800. The minimum requirement for 3D is 120hz, so you're definitely good to go there. I'm definitely going to have to keep an eye out for a deal that good, even though I'm sure that TV is well worth even $1,000.Here's the 73" for $1200
http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/35692?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+SlickdealsnetFP+(SlickDeals.net +Frontpage)&utm_content=Google+Feedfetcher

JBHuskers
07-01-2010, 09:48 AM
Okay I'm not up to speed on 3D TV's just because I'm not really interested at this point; however, the Nintendo 3DS is going to have 3D without the glasses....any chance that TV's will have a filter in front of the monitor to be able to replicate the same thing, or will you always have to have glasses?

gschwendt
07-01-2010, 09:55 AM
Okay I'm not up to speed on 3D TV's just because I'm not really interested at this point; however, the Nintendo 3DS is going to have 3D without the glasses....any chance that TV's will have a filter in front of the monitor to be able to replicate the same thing, or will you always have to have glasses?
There are some TVs that they're working on that won't require glasses, however I imagine it will be 5 years before the price of those is reasonable enough for the everyday purchaser. By then, the 3D fad will likely already have faded.

One big complaint with the 3DS though is that in order to use the 3D, you have to look straight into the screen. If you're playing, your buddy standing over your shoulder wouldn't be able to watch without getting a headache.

JBHuskers
07-01-2010, 09:56 AM
Yeah I just heard Cowherd blowing his load on 3D, but that is, of course, because ESPN just launched in 3D.

morsdraconis
07-01-2010, 09:58 AM
There are some TVs that they're working on that won't require glasses, however I imagine it will be 5 years before the price of those is reasonable enough for the everyday purchaser. By then, the 3D fad will likely already have faded.

One big complaint with the 3DS though is that in order to use the 3D, you have to look straight into the screen. If you're playing, your buddy standing over your shoulder wouldn't be able to watch without getting a headache.

Which I think is going to be the problem with all 3D without glasses technology.

Hell, watching 3D movies sometimes gives me a headache and I have to blink much more than I would normally and try not to focus on the 3D aspects of it.

I just don't get the need for 3D. EVERY movie is already in 3D for god's sake. Why do you need MORE?

DariusLock
07-01-2010, 10:50 AM
I got a 50+ inch samsung plasma hd 720 for 1,500 when it was new. My friends come over and say the picture is way better than their LCD 1080p's that they have at home. Even at the store when I was watching them, the Samsung Plasmas were better than the Samsung LCD's. I say get a plasma for sure, I have been scared a few times with burn in but after a few minutes any trace of it is gone.

gschwendt
07-10-2010, 12:19 PM
It was longer than I had expected but the same TV as I have is on sale again.
http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/36566?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+SlickdealsnetFP+(SlickDeals.net +Frontpage)
Dell Daily Deal -Mitsubishi 60-inch WD60C9 1080P Home Theater / DLP HDTV $769.00