PDA

View Full Version : Kicker's foot isn't making contact with the ball on all kicks

Gotmadskillzson
07-16-2011, 08:00 PM
Ok so this problem is with all kicks. I see it on kick offs, FGs, XP attempts and Punts.

On all of them the foot isn't making contact with the ball. On FGs, XP and kick offs, the ball goes up in the air while the kicker's knee is still bent and no where near the ball. By the time the kicker animation plays out with the foot actually moving forward, the ball is already 3 feet up in the air, then it gets pushed even further up in the air, which results in a way too high unnatural trajectory.

On Punts, the ball don't even drop past his waist before the ball goes back up in the air, before the Punter even raises his leg up all the way. Which once again results in a much higher traejctory then it should be.

No wonder all these kicks offs and punts be sky high and go further this year. They getting an additional 3 feet boost up in the air before the kicking animation even plays out.

This is throwing off the whole ball trajectory on kicks. Which is most likely the reason why punts are not getting blocked. The ball is leaving 3 seconds earlier then the animation.

Don't believe me ? Do a kick off, XP, Punt or FG attempt. Watch the instant replay with the camera on the kicker from the side.

WolverineJay
07-17-2011, 02:29 AM
I don't think you'll get much of an argument from people around the community when it comes to how bad special teams is portrayed in EA's football games. An upgrade or major overhaul of special teams is sorely needed for NCAA 13.

cjg225
07-17-2011, 11:14 AM
So, I read this topic last night before I played two games and I did Instant Replays on kickoffs, field goals, and punts.

Does the ball leave before the kicker's foot actually would contact the ball? Yes. Is it anywhere near as bad as you say it is? Um, no. By my estimations, the ball was leaving when the kicker's foot was only about 6 inches away from the ball. In real life, that distance is covered by the foot in a very, very tiny fraction of a second; hardly "three seconds."

You probably need to have your eyes checked or learn when it's appropriate and not appropriate to exaggerate.

I OU a Beatn
07-17-2011, 11:46 AM
So, I read this topic last night before I played two games and I did Instant Replays on kickoffs, field goals, and punts.

Does the ball leave before the kicker's foot actually would contact the ball? Yes. Is it anywhere near as bad as you say it is? Um, no. By my estimations, the ball was leaving when the kicker's foot was only about 6 inches away from the ball. In real life, that distance is covered by the foot in a very, very tiny fraction of a second; hardly "three seconds."

You probably need to have your eyes checked or learn when it's appropriate and not appropriate to exaggerate.

It's appropriate in this case. Can you kick a ball 50 yards without your foot ever making contact? Whether it's 6 inches or 6 feet, it looks just as stupid. I personally couldn't care less, I'm just sayin'.

cjg225
07-17-2011, 11:59 AM
It's appropriate in this case. Can you kick a ball 50 yards without your foot ever making contact? Whether it's 6 inches or 6 feet, it looks just as stupid. I personally couldn't care less, I'm just sayin'.
Perhaps. But I think there are far more pressing graphical issues than this.

There's still a pretty decent amount of clipping, for example. In the course of a regular game, I am viewing the play from behind the kicker, so unless I do a replay, I'd never even really notice that the ball isn't being contacted by the kicker's foot. However, I do see every single instance of someone clipping through another player trying to line up for a play in the no huddle, for example. Or a mascot putting his hand through part of his costume (for example, played Nebraska the other night and Herbie Husker's hand was clipping through his hat every so often. That is more annoying to me than something I never realistically see during the course of a game.

OptionMasta
07-17-2011, 12:11 PM
This goes on my who cares pile for the time being. I'm not saying it's irrelevant, but it's not as pressing as a lot of other things like DBs warping through WRs to make interceptions, for example. Blocking needs a complete overhaul (for the 5th or so straight year) as well which I would put as my #1 priority for next year.

cjg225
07-17-2011, 12:14 PM
This goes on my who cares pile for the time being. I'm not saying it's irrelevant, but it's not as pressing as a lot of other things like DBs warping through WRs to make interceptions, for example. Blocking needs a complete overhaul (for the 5th or so straight year) as well which I would put as my #1 priority for next year.
For real. I have had so many OL just completely let go of their blocks upon handoff. It's not even the DL beating them; it's just the OL dropping the block and racing downfield for no apparent reason just as the RB gets the handoff. Yeah, okay, you want guys blocking on the second level... but not while 1-3 defensive linemen converge on the ballcarrier two yards deep in the backfield.

ebarws6
07-17-2011, 01:03 PM
Or a mascot putting his hand through part of his costume (for example, played Nebraska the other night and Herbie Husker's hand was clipping through his hat every so often. That is more annoying to me than something I never realistically see during the course of a game.

Or the Stanford Tree somehow upside down standing on its head with a good foot of the tree clipping underground, all while kicking its legs...

Gotmadskillzson
07-17-2011, 01:11 PM
Whether or not how big or small the issue is not important. What is important is that more CONSUMERS speak up and let stuff be known. It is more Game Changers on this website then any other website outside of EA's own web page. It is their job to report problems, glitches, bugs, etc to the developers for they can get stuffed tuned and patch.

That is their job. Our job as the consumer is to speak up and make issues known to them. They can't catch all things on their own.

Paakaa10
07-17-2011, 01:25 PM
Whether or not how big or small the issue is not important. What is important is that more CONSUMERS speak up and let stuff be known. It is more Game Changers on this website then any other website outside of EA's own web page. It is their job to report problems, glitches, bugs, etc to the developers for they can get stuffed tuned and patch.

That is their job. Our job as the consumer is to speak up and make issues known to them. They can't catch all things on their own.

I don't know that I'd call it a job--doesn't help me pay off my student loan debt or buy groceries--but yes, it is part of our mission in the Game Changers program to report the things we see mentioned in the forums, on social media, etc.

We can note animation "glitches" like what has been reported here, but personally--solely my view of things, not the view of EA SPORTS or anyone else--I imagine that the future tuner sets and software updates on NCAA Football 12 are going to be focused on "big" things rather than making sure the ball contacts the player's foot on kicking play animations. EDIT: Because the default gameplay view on kicks "obscures" this animation issue is going to be a reason cited by many as to why this might be less important.

That's not to say that it isn't important to get animation things like that taken care of--I completely agree that as good as the game can look, issues like this take away from the immersion--I mean only that in the scope of tuner sets and software updates, I can imagine a number of "bigger fixes" taking precedence.

Consider as a theoretical--I'm not saying this is a true case--that fixing the animation on kicks would take as much of an investment of time as fixing Custom Playbook issues. Which would you fix? The answer is easy there.

We appreciate the feedback you guys bring, as it helps us immensely in combining our own feedback with the stuff you all see as we report things back to the dev team.

Undefeated
07-17-2011, 01:30 PM
Whether or not how big or small the issue is not important.

Amen dude. I'm so utterly sick of these "there-are-more-important-issues-lol-your-complaint-is-stupid" posts that pop up by the dozens every time someone points out something "little" like this. Not that I personally give a rat's ass about this issue, either - just the principal of "no, they shouldn't fix this because there's other stuff I want them to fix first" bugs the crap out of me. There's about 20 things I can think of I want fixed; maybe 8 of them relate to gameplay. By the way sports gamers talk to each other, I guess that means I should only have 8 things I want fixed.

Paakaa10
07-17-2011, 01:36 PM
Amen dude. I'm so utterly sick of these "there-are-more-important-issues-lol-your-complaint-is-stupid" posts that pop up by the dozens every time someone points out something "little" like this. Not that I personally give a rat's ass about this issue, either - just the principal of "no, they shouldn't fix this because there's other stuff I want them to fix first" bugs the crap out of me. There's about 20 things I can think of I want fixed; maybe 8 of them relate to gameplay. By the way sports gamers talk to each other, I guess that means I should only have 8 things I want fixed.

It's a sticky situation; especially when it comes to post-release support. There are a number of "small details" that I would like to see fixed by post-release support in NCAA Football 12, but I would never say that any of those things should take precedence over a major bug like the Custom Playbooks "zero play" issue, and I would concede none of the "small details" being fixed if it meant instead that Custom Playbooks worked perfectly for everyone.

I would agree that nobody should take flak for sharing an issue they're seeing in the game; all issues need to be reported so that they can hopefully be fixed or avoided going forward. You cannot expect, however, that "bigger issues" won't get fixed before "small issues."

Paakaa10
07-17-2011, 01:52 PM
I will also present one instance of video I have already recorded which seems to show a punt where the ball does not move until the animation of the kick impacts the football:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5HUyqN4Ry8

The specific moment comes at about 2:00 in the video where I show a highlight from field-level at the sideline of the punt.

To be fair, this video footage was captured both pre-release and pre-patch on PS3. I will try to take some time today to look specifically at punting now that I have installed the patch.

cdj
07-17-2011, 04:00 PM
I agree with the OP that visual items like this can be distracting. There's some clipping animations as well, but for the most part they are only visible on replays and don't detract much from direct on-the-field action. If anyone watched replays on 08 & 09, the ball didn't even line up with the QBs hand when he passed the ball; it was a good 6" or more off. Some are better than others, but I think all sports games have similar issues with clipping, ball lining up with player models, etc.

A dev would have to clarify, but I don't think the location of the ball on pass & kick animations being off actually affects the actual pass or kick. It does make up-close replays look odd though.

This is something I have passed on in previous feedback as one area of focus and will continue to do so. It's necessary in a game where the team has taken strides and a lot in pride in visuals and replays.

OptionMasta
07-17-2011, 04:18 PM

Nobody is saying that they shouldn't fix every conceivable issue with the game. What a lot of people are saying, though, is that there is a hierarchy of things that need to be taken care of with this series.

Just as you're annoyed by the fact that people post their opinion that a particular issue such as this one is far less important than other glaring gameplay issues that plague this series, I'm sick of dealing with those issues year in and year out. Just like the OP in this thread has a gripe about the game that they want to pass along to the developers, I too have a gripe I want to pass along. I want them to know for the 5,000th time that they need to fix blocking completely. If the system they have put in place for improving the game through the community leaders is effective, and I am assuming that it is, then I think it's perfectly appropriate to write in this thread that this issue should take a backseat to issue X. Not only do they need to hear what all the issues are (and I agree with you on that), they also need to know from the consumer's perspective what the most important issues are so that they can fix those first.

In addition to this, the crews that EA have used to create this game on this generation have shown to be one of two things: 1. incompetent, or 2. lazy. The fact that in NCAA 2012 the blocking is worse than it was in NCAA 2003 is an atrocity. The fact that we still have players who warp through other players is unacceptable. The fact that we now have a custom playbook feature this year (one of the major features) that numerous people can't use because of a glitch that makes their game unplayable when using the feature is unbelievable. And the community has made this nonsense known to them over the years but they still don't fix many of these issues. Why? It's either 1 or 2 if you believe they care about the game. If not, it's probably because we keep paying $60 to be their beta testers.

But because I am still buying the game and trying to have a good time with it and anticipate that this will be the case next year as well, I think this is a more than appropriate forum to mention that there are more glaring issues than the one presented here that need to be taken care of first to make this game ACTUALLY better.