PDA

View Full Version : Initial Online Dynasty Impressions

Lord Marshall X
07-14-2011, 01:44 PM
We just started our Online Dynasty with our first priority to SIM through the first 5 season and eliminate default players. This lets us be able to evaluate the recruits and see what needs to be done.

For the second year straight I am absolutely and completely disgusted with how boring and GED recruiting is. It is literally like pumping slot machines in Vegas. You can only pick guys who want to go to your school and normally you have to be in the top five or even three to have a shot at the guy. If you are competing against someone who has a pipeline on the player, give up. Its disheartening to look through hundreds of recruits that you have no shot at recruiting. Especially when its week 12 and the guy has no offers but you yet you can't even crack his top 10.

To fix recruiting I think the game needs to do two things that would really help.

1. Change coaches choice to players choice and have the player randomly pick a topic instead of the coach. This is the most retarded thing I have ever seen and it doesn't even make sense if you think about it. Have you ever called someone and then asked them what they want to talk about? It makes no sense!

2. The removal of a players top 10 at the beginning of the season.
How can a player have a top 10 with no scholarship offers?
How can a player with no scholarship offers not want to come to the only school that has offered him a scholarship?

This reeks of computer manipulation because the game already puts a filter on who you can recruit. At least make it an option to turn it off and on. I know a lot of people don't like recruiting or feel like its too time consuming but the dumbing down of the system has hit ridiculous proportions and I was hoping for a little added depth this year other than an athleticism rating.

Pig Bomb
07-14-2011, 02:38 PM
We just started our Online Dynasty with our first priority to SIM through the first 5 season and eliminate default players. This lets us be able to evaluate the recruits and see what needs to be done.

For the second year straight I am absolutely and completely disgusted with how boring and GED recruiting is. It is literally like pumping slot machines in Vegas. You can only pick guys who want to go to your school and normally you have to be in the top five or even three to have a shot at the guy. If you are competing against someone who has a pipeline on the player, give up. Its disheartening to look through hundreds of recruits that you have no shot at recruiting. Especially when its week 12 and the guy has no offers but you yet you can't even crack his top 10.

To fix recruiting I think the game needs to do two things that would really help.

1. Change coaches choice to players choice and have the player randomly pick a topic instead of the coach. This is the most retarded thing I have ever seen and it doesn't even make sense if you think about it. Have you ever called someone and then asked them what they want to talk about? It makes no sense!

How can a player with no scholarship offers not want to come to the only school that has offered him a scholarship?

This reeks of computer manipulation because the game already puts a filter on who you can recruit. At least make it an option to turn it off and on. I know a lot of people don't like recruiting or feel like its too time consuming but the dumbing down of the system has hit ridiculous proportions and I was hoping for a little added depth this year other than an athleticism rating.

#2 assumes that where a player choses to go to school is driven by what schools are interested in them. This is not always the case. Very often a player has a list of top schools he would like to attend before talking to anyone in the recruiting process. In fact, we help the athletes I coach research and compile such a list as a starting point in the college recruiting process.

In real life, I also turned down a scholarship to walk on at the school of my choice...so only getting one offer doesn't and shouldn't always compel an athlete to accept it.

As to the "filter" effect. I think that kid of makes it more real. Schools just can't go anyone they want. Athletes have a list of things they want in a program before accepting a scholarship there. School with higher prestige have a filter that lets more guys through, as it should.

#1 on your list is open to interpretation. Yes coaches call players that direct what topics are discussed.
however like you say I think there are some things that could be done to get a more realistic process in the game for sure.
How they do that isn't always easy IMO.

Anyway...I understand what you are saying but it's not black and white...there is alot of grey.
I'm a recruiting lover and would enjoy a more real and deeper recruiting experience.

SmoothPancakes
07-14-2011, 02:50 PM
#2 assumes that where a player choses to go to school is driven by what schools are interested in them. This is not always the case. Very often a player has a list of top schools he would like to attend before talking to anyone in the recruiting process. In fact, we help the athletes I coach research and compile such a list as a starting point in the college recruiting process.

In real life, I also turned down a scholarship to walk on at the school of my choice...so only getting one offer doesn't and shouldn't always compel an athlete to accept it.

As to the "filter" effect. I think that kid of makes it more real. Schools just can't go anyone they want. Athletes have a list of things they want in a program before accepting a scholarship there. School with higher prestige have a filter that lets more guys through, as it should.

Anyway...I understand what you are saying but it's not black and white...there is alot of grey.
I'm a recruiting lover and would enjoy a more real and deeper recruiting experience.

I have to agree with you Pig Bomb. The top 10, especially at the beginning of the season, isn't made up of the schools that are interested, and showing interest, in him, but what schools he is interested in, in my opinion.

Say I was a player, I'd probably have Navy, Toledo, Bowling Green, Ohio State, Ohio, Miami (OH), Kent State, Western Michigan, Northern Illinois, and Northwestern, not in that exact order, in my list of top 10 schools I'd prefer to go to. That doesn't mean any of those schools are interested in him, but he is interested in them. Now could they do it a little better so schools that do start recruiting him that aren't in his top 10 are able to actually work their way into his top 10, sure. But unless he is legitimately interested in possibly going to that school, like real life, you wouldn't crack the top 10 regardless of how much you recruit him.

And I'd be the same way regarding scholarships. While I didn't go a DI-A school for college, if I had a choice between walking on at someplace, say Toledo, or received a single lone scholarship offer from someplace like Utah State, heh, I'd say screw you to Utah State (a school and team I have absolutely no interest or care in) and walk on at Toledo (a school and team that I would care about).

ram29jackson
07-14-2011, 03:06 PM

:up::D I'm so proud of you,..you finally made a post that doesnt look like a generic newspaper article :D.
...so are you saying that the players you can only recruit are the ones who would only walk on to your campus if you didnt recruit them anyway? ya' see, the recruiting is just a side dish. The gameplay that people want is on the field. No one wants to do research during free time, thats for important things. ...does anything really happen putting recruiting on heisman or All Amer?

:D and whats wrong with you?:D I want to use the real name rosters in the beginning so you learn who to look for to watch in real life...at least thats an educational fun factor !:)

Lord Marshall X
07-14-2011, 04:50 PM

#1 on your list is open to interpretation. Yes coaches call players that direct what topics are discussed.
however like you say I think there are some things that could be done to get a more realistic process in the game for sure.
How they do that isn't always easy IMO.

You guys are high on this game right now and this happens to me every single year. I was shouted down about hating the awful defense last year when the game first came out. Literally blasted. I also play in a large online dynasty that is very competitive, NOT a offline dynasty, NOT a 5 player online dynasty and the top 10 list is crippling to a large dynasty because it restricts the talent pool severely.

Also, when you are a poor inner city kid, which I was . . . . scratch that. . . . . Even if you are a kid from the middle class, college is not cheap. You are going to me that you turn down a free ride somewhere to WALK ON!!!! You are so in the minority that I can't believe you would actually even say that out loud.

Now maybe you didn't want to go to a certain school because it was too far from home, or didn't play your style of football but the computer will choose schools off of a whim. I have seen many guys with proximity to home be there MOST but only 1 school in their top 5 is close to home.

Ram . . . stop being condescending and see me on the sticks and I will give you a side dish, main dish and desert. Only an ignorant fool would literally criticize someone for writing "too well."

ram29jackson
07-14-2011, 09:29 PM
Ram . . . stop being condescending and see me on the sticks and I will give you a side dish, main dish and desert. Only an ignorant fool would literally criticize someone for writing "too well

oh, dear God, duuude, its called kidding around. And cant you tell I was agreeing with you? its a toy , its flawed.

dude, its a video game I play for fun. Why would I play you now? cause it seems you take it a tad too seriously and it somehow proves your manhood for beating me in it ? ...of course if your kidding , I retract that :D

only an ignorant fool would literally criticize someone
for writing too well
and your screen name is Lord Marshall X ?:D that whole quote and name screams condescending:D

dude,..there is writing too well..and then theres writing plain, lifeless and cold.

take it easy, man, its all in fun:) if you thought it was condescending, I'm sorry:)