PDA

View Full Version : Option Running Game

mikeande22
07-13-2011, 07:59 PM
is anyone having success running the option whether in shotgun or pistol? I have had luck handing it to the RB but when the DE goes after the RB i have not had any success with the QB keepiing it and getting yards. I dont want to have a diff slider set for running the spread option attack. Any feedback would be great.

OptionMasta
07-13-2011, 08:29 PM
I've had success but a lot of the success comes from the Gator Heavy formation. I would say that I have had moderate success with the other formations. What option play are you trying to run? What's happening that makes you say you're unsuccessful? Are you playing online or offline?

th3 last tiger
07-13-2011, 08:36 PM
Depends what kind of option you are talking about. Is this spread, flexbone, I form, or more multiple. The spread option has proven to be a powerful offense in this game from what I've played. I've had games where rushing for over 300 yards from a multitude of spread formations. I honestly haven't tried the flexbone yet, ill save that for tomorrow.

mikeande22
07-13-2011, 08:53 PM
it is in the shotgun spread and pistol spread. I can run it when i hand it to the back but when the DE crashes down and my read is to keep it with the QB i just have promblems, it is in the read option in any formation

th3 last tiger
07-13-2011, 09:28 PM
it is in the shotgun spread and pistol spread. I can run it when i hand it to the back but when the DE crashes down and my read is to keep it with the QB i just have promblems, it is in the read option in any formation

Ok try motioning a receiver across the formation to where your quarterback would run after the read and see if that helps. The motioned wr should help pickup any backside blitzes or an extra defender left their due to alignment.

Pig Bomb
07-14-2011, 12:25 AM
dont sprint too early... defenders tend to get off their blocks when you do and obviously you wont get as many yards if the D is not gettign blocked properly

OptionMasta
07-14-2011, 12:30 AM
dont sprint too early... defenders tend to get off their blocks when you do and obviously you wont get as many yards if the D is not gettign blocked properly

This. I don't know if it's accurate or not, but I feel as though if I sprint the defense comes right towards me (aka I draw defenders to me who should be elsewhere/blocked/etc.). Try to be as patient as you can and let the blocks setup.

One thing I have noticed this year is that you can get good results with pitches. I thought at first that every pitch I made was covered or they didn't work for some reason but after playing for a while you can still get good pitches and they feel better than in last year's game. You need to pitch earlier than you did last year if you were running plays with pitches.

I don't really run read option but I do run plays with the read incorporated and I have had good success with just making the read and then giving or keeping. I don't know what else to say about read option unfortunately.

One thing I want to mention, and I know this isn't exactly what you are looking for is that the dive is your best friend. When you see the defensive front is 42 or less audible to a dive. Your running game is bound to improve by leaps and bounds this way.

PDuncanOSU
07-14-2011, 07:49 AM
One thing I want to mention, and I know this isn't exactly what you are looking for is that the dive is your best friend. When you see the defensive front is 42 or less audible to a dive. Your running game is bound to improve by leaps and bounds this way.

100% this. My custom playbook is run and option heavy out of 3 or 4 reciever, pistol and shotgun sets. If you run the read option too much, the defense will key on it and when the DE crashes on the HB there will be a LB or Safety waiting on your QB. In my experience so far with this offense, if you keep your playcalling balanced with straight HB runs, options, and enough passing to keep the defense honest you can really rack up a lot of yards and score a lot of points.
In my first game of an offline dynasty as the offensive coordinator for Ohio University (AA difficulty, 7 min quarters) I threw for 300+ and ran for 200+ by starting with the run/option game with some screens and short passes mixed in then when they started to cheat up, playaction and throw deep. After a couple 40+ yard touchdown passes the safeties can't help against the run as much. Full disclosure, this was against the FCS East team, but I did have similar success in play-now games and practice mode I used while perfecting my playbook.