PDA

View Full Version : Coaching Carousel -- How does it work with multiple users?

jwallace0317
07-13-2011, 06:44 PM
This is an obvious question but something that hasn't been answered in any of EA's walkthrough videos about Coaching Carousel, because CC always been explored in the context of a single user.

Given that the nature of CC is dynamic (i.e., an accepted offer at one school creates a new vacancy at another school, etc.), how does the carousel work in an online dynasty with multiple users? Does the CC somehow work as a stage that each user can complete on his own time, like the other stages of the offseason? Does it work in a way so that the user who signs in first after the advance somehow gets "dibs" on positions ahead of other users who sign in later?

I know it's only the day after release, but if anyone has had any experience with this, or otherwise has a clue, please share.

cdj
07-13-2011, 07:33 PM
At the end of the season, you will have the Carousel. You could go one step at a time with each users hopping on, but it's much easier (and more fun) if all users are on at once and takes no more than 15 minutes or so. If it stayed the same from the community event(s), the Carousel will feature at least one offer for each user. Not necessarily a better job, but an offer. This will give put user in the position of deciding to stay or go which has added weight when you may not get another offer.

jwallace0317
07-13-2011, 11:32 PM
Thanks for the reply. I can't help but think that the "one at a time" method would often give the first user the most benefit, since in theory if that user gets ahold of a top notch position, it's necessarily impossible for someone else to get that job. But, it certainly sounds like something that would be best taken care of in an everyone-online-at-the-same-time context.

It's going to be interesting to see what people post about this once the first OD's get to the end of their first and second seasons. I'm willing to bet there are going to be a shitload of guys bitching that they got screwed in the carousel because they coudn't get online at the same time as everyone else, or someone else was able to get a job before they had an opportunity to go for it, etc. We'll see!

SmoothPancakes
07-14-2011, 12:01 AM
Thanks for the reply. I can't help but think that the "one at a time" method would often give the first user the most benefit, since in theory if that user gets ahold of a top notch position, it's necessarily impossible for someone else to get that job. But, it certainly sounds like something that would be best taken care of in an everyone-online-at-the-same-time context.

It's going to be interesting to see what people post about this once the first OD's get to the end of their first and second seasons. I'm willing to bet there are going to be a shitload of guys bitching that they got screwed in the carousel because they coudn't get online at the same time as everyone else, or someone else was able to get a job before they had an opportunity to go for it, etc. We'll see!

I honestly have no clue regarding OD coach carousel, but how exactly does it work when the offseason comes about? Can everyone see what job offers they have waiting for them to accept or decline, and then it's just a matter of waiting for their turn in the carousel to make their selection? Or does it come up where you don't know what offers you are going to receive from other teams until it's your turn?

If it's where you have no clue what offers you actually have waiting for you, then in my mind, no one can bitch and claim they got screwed out of a position just because someone got a great job when they have no idea if they were even going to be offered that job or not.

cdj
07-14-2011, 07:52 AM
If it's where you have no clue what offers you actually have waiting for you, then in my mind, no one can bitch and claim they got screwed out of a position just because someone got a great job when they have no idea if they were even going to be offered that job or not.

That is how it works. You don't know who will get the next offer so signing in first doesn't provide any advantages.

SmoothPancakes
07-14-2011, 08:39 AM
That is how it works. You don't know who will get the next offer so signing in first doesn't provide any advantages.

Nice. So yeah, that'll take care of any issues that arise from being first to go through your CC offers, and being the last person to go through it. Since no one has any clue what offers they'll receive until they go through it, they can't moan about how they weren't able to get their job at LSU because they were one of the last people to go through CC, while the first person was able to snag the LSU job, since that last person doesn't know if they were going to even be offered the LSU job or not.

jwallace0317
07-14-2011, 10:43 AM
Nice. So yeah, that'll take care of any issues that arise from being first to go through your CC offers, and being the last person to go through it. Since no one has any clue what offers they'll receive until they go through it, they can't moan about how they weren't able to get their job at LSU because they were one of the last people to go through CC, while the first person was able to snag the LSU job, since that last person doesn't know if they were going to even be offered the LSU job or not.

Right, but if the game has predetermined who's going to get the first offer on a job, then it's the just the reverse problem: you would want to wait to go AFTER a particular user to see what that user does first. Take this scenario (drink some coffee first):

User A and User B are both in the running for the Notre Dame job. The game has predetermined that User A will get the first offer for the position, but neither user knows this. User B is thinking (1) I hope that I'm the one that gets the first Notre Dame offer, but (2) if User A gets the first offer and declines, then I could get the next offer from Notre Dame and can take it.

Under the scenario above, if User B really wants the Notre Dame job, he has a clear incentive to wait until User A has completed his coaching carousel stage first. If he doesn't wait and takes a position elsehwere, and User A later declines Notre Dame's offer, User B misses out on the potential ND job. Also, if User B doesn't wait, he misses out on the opportunity to take User A's old job if User A decides to accept the Notre Dame job. So, assuming the game predetermines who will get the first offer on a job that two users are vying for, it's more advantageous to go AFTER the other user when completing the CC stage.

The only way there would be no incentive at all to go before/after another user in this situation (where two users are vying for the same job) is if the game decides that only one user will be offered the position, and if that user declines then the position will be offered only to a CPU coach. That's the only way you could take out the incentive one way or the other and still have guys completing their CC stage individually. Otherwise, if the game is predetermining a school's "first choice" between two users, it's always going to benefit the user who waits to complete his CC stage after, so that he can have the benefit of knowing what the first user did. Does that make sense?

SmoothPancakes
07-14-2011, 11:06 AM
Oh I understand what you're talking about and it does make sense.

I was just commenting in regards to someone complaining because someone was offered their dream job first. Taking the Notre Dame example. If both User A and User B knew for certain that they were both going to receive a coaching offer from Notre Dame, then that could cause an issue with whoever was forced to go second, because then they could claim that CC had screwed them out of the ND job by making them go second and miss the chance to accept the job. But since they have no clue what teams might offer them a contract until it's their turn in CC, User 1 may get that Notre Dame offer, however, User 2 can't complain and call it unfair, because they don't know for a fact that they would have received that Notre Dame offer. They could assume, sure, but they wouldn't know for a fact if they would have or not received an offer from ND.

That's the area I was looking at and commenting on, about how if two players were going after the same job, one gets it, the other person can't complain and call foul because unless they had gone through CC first, they wouldn't know for a fact whether or not they ever would have even been given a job offer from that team.

That alone will basically kill off half of the complaining about people taking jobs that someone else wanted. Just because someone else was offered that job and they took it, that doesn't mean that if they had passed on it instead, you would have been given that offer as well. You very well could have received an offer from an entirely different team.

DariusLock
07-14-2011, 11:12 AM
The way I see it the better coach will prob get the job offer first if I'm not wrong? If not then you can just look at it that way, schools have their No. 1 target and then their back-up plans.

jwallace0317
07-14-2011, 12:36 PM
The way I see it the better coach will prob get the job offer first if I'm not wrong? If not then you can just look at it that way, schools have their No. 1 target and then their back-up plans.

Right, no one disagrees with that. The question is whether or not, in the video game, there will be an incentive for User A to sometimes wait until User B completes his CC stage before User A completes his. In real life, a coach's options are affected by the decisions that other coaches make to accept/decline offers. For example, think about 2005 in the context of "coaching carousel." Say that Urban Meyer and Charlie Weis are in an online dynasty. They're both interested in the Notre Dame job. Notre Dame decided to offer the job to Urban Meyer first. Charlie Weis had two options: (1) wait to see if Urban Meyer accepted ND's offer before making his own decision about what jobs to go after; or (2) don't wait for Meyer to make up his mind, and just take a job at another school. As it turns out, Charlie Weis waited, Urban Meyer declined the offer, and Charlie Weis became coach at ND instead. In other words, it made a difference that Urban Meyer "went first" in the coaching carousel. If Charlie Weis had "gone first," the Notre Dame job wouldn't have been available and he would have taken a job somewhere else. So, in real life, the order in which people make decisions makes a difference. And that's going to be the case for the coaching carousel stage in OD's as well, based on how it's been explained. And that means that guys could end up fighting over who goes after who in completing the stage.

Steel Pitt
07-14-2011, 02:48 PM
In an Online Dynasty utilizing Coach Carousel, can you be fired if you don't meet your goals and if so what happens next? Is that person booted from the Dynasty? Offered a job by the CPU at a lower school/position (demotion)?

Steel Pitt
07-14-2011, 02:50 PM
Also, do we know if you can get job offers prior to your contract being up?

jwallace0317
07-14-2011, 02:55 PM
In an Online Dynasty utilizing Coach Carousel, can you be fired if you don't meet your goals and if so what happens next? Is that person booted from the Dynasty? Offered a job by the CPU at a lower school/position (demotion)?

I don't know the answer for sure, but I feel like I heard in one of EA's vids that you CAN be fired, and then you would have to find another job (with the game setting it up so that you would definitely get one offer somewhere, even if it's Akron, lol). I'd like confirmation though, like you.

I confirmed that yes you can get offers prior to your contract being up (I guess you would be operating under the assumption that your contract has a buyout clause and your new team has paid for it).

SmoothPancakes
07-14-2011, 02:55 PM

The community day guys confirmed, users will always receive at least one job offer in the coaching carousel every year, so even if you go 0-12 and get fired from Eastern Michigan, you'll still receive a job offer some someplace, probably a team just as bad as EMU, like Akron or someone. As for if you'd still get a head coach offer or only a coordinator offer after a season that bad and getting fired, I don't know.

Yes. From what it sounded like from the community day guys, you will receive at least one offer from a various school every year going through the Coaching Carousel, so you'll get offers even after only your first year in the dynasty. You can jump ship for a new job at any point in your current contract.

cdj
07-14-2011, 03:26 PM
I wouldn't say there are 'User A' and 'User B' stages in Carousel during ODs. It's just the Carousel....and instead of the CPU making decisions for each team, you have user players making decisions. The closest thing to a 'stage' would be when it is SmoothPancake's turn to accept/decline an offer and we have to wait on him. However, I highly recommend all users try and get on at the same time. It's a lot more fun and a lot quicker that way. It only takes 10-15 minutes.

The biggest 'game' with it will be deciding to jump or wait for another offer.....that may not be coming. An example would be if you are OC at Tulane and you feel next season your team won't be much better. Do you take the Nevada OC job you were offered or wait to see if a better job comes along? Let's say you decline and no new offers come. You might end up second-guessing yourself for staying or waiting for that offer.

Steel Pitt
07-14-2011, 03:26 PM
Thanks fellas.

ram29jackson
07-14-2011, 04:15 PM
can someone please reaffirm being able to turn coaching car- off..? when you do this you can keep your job or youll have to create another coach at a certain pointto fill the spot ? how does it work ? whos done it yet haha?

cdj
07-14-2011, 04:22 PM
can someone please reaffirm being able to turn coaching car- off..? when you do this you can keep your job or youll have to create another coach at a certain pointto fill the spot ? how does it work ? whos done it yet haha?

When you create a Dynasty, turn 'Coach Contracts' to OFF to turn off the Carousel.

Are you asking if you can turn it off mid-Dynasty? I don't think that is an option.