PDA

View Full Version : The Open Discussion

JBHuskers
07-13-2011, 12:36 PM
The 3rd major is upon us this week. The only major that drives me nuts because it's live at 4am :D I love watching majors live, and this one yeah won't be able to tonight.

My pick to take the Claret Jug is Luke Donald. Everyone will be riding the Rory bandwagon, but that wind is pretty attricious. So much so, the tees are possibly going to be moved (http://espn.go.com/golf/britishopen11/story/_/id/6764892/2011-british-open-officials-move-tees-account-high-winds).

ram29jackson
07-13-2011, 03:49 PM
You golf often? I never have. I Watch golf sports highlights, but dont know anyone who sits and watches tournaments...?

bdoughty
07-13-2011, 04:00 PM
I hope Rory just chokes in the first round so we do not have to hear his name the whole weekend.

One guy that has been playing better as of late is Sergio Garcia. I am putting my money on him simply because I feel bad for the dude. I mean his career just flopped and while he was getting some major league tail in the process, even that came back to bit him in the ass when he got dumped by Greg Normans daughter a year or so ago.

Yeah I am already two steps ahead of you - CLICK ME FOR THE INFORMATION YOU SO BADLY SEEK (http://www.google.com/search?q=Greg+Norman+daughter&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=U7R&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=ivnso&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=8QYeTpz-HqWusALjx4CaCA&ved=0CCEQsAQ&biw=1440&bih=789)

JBHuskers
07-13-2011, 04:20 PM
You golf often? I never have. I Watch golf sports highlights, but dont know anyone who sits and watches tournaments...?

Try to. Haven't had the time this year though to get out.

JBHuskers
07-13-2011, 04:21 PM
I hope Rory just chokes in the first round so we do not have to hear his name the whole weekend.

One guy that has been playing better as of late is Sergio Garcia. I am putting my money on him simply because I feel bad for the dude. I mean his career just flopped and while he was getting some major league tail in the process, even that came back to bit him in the ass when he got dumped by Greg Normans daughter a year or so ago.

Yeah I am already two steps ahead of you - CLICK ME FOR THE INFORMATION YOU SO BADLY SEEK (http://www.google.com/search?q=Greg+Norman+daughter&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=U7R&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=ivnso&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=8QYeTpz-HqWusALjx4CaCA&ved=0CCEQsAQ&biw=1440&bih=789)

I have both in this pool I always get in. The pool is basically group A being the top 5 golfers in the world, group B 6-10, group C 11-15, then D E F are wild cards (anyone else).

SmoothPancakes
07-14-2011, 06:09 AM
The 3rd major is upon us this week. The only major that drives me nuts because it's live at 4am :D I love watching majors live, and this one yeah won't be able to tonight.

My pick to take the Claret Jug is Luke Donald. Everyone will be riding the Rory bandwagon, but that wind is pretty attricious. So much so, the tees are possibly going to be moved (http://espn.go.com/golf/britishopen11/story/_/id/6764892/2011-british-open-officials-move-tees-account-high-winds).

That's where I'm in luck. I'm on a night cycle right now. I go into work at night, sleep during the day. So I'm up at 4am every night. I've already been watching for the past three hours. Only Saturday am I going to miss the first 3 hours of live coverage since I have my morning show on Saturday mornings from 6-9am for the station in the next town over, 20 minutes down the road east of where I live. By the time I get everything shut down at 9, leave, drive back to town, drop off the station van off at the radio station in my town, drive back to my house, and get changed and settled down, it'll be approaching 10am.

However, for the time I'm at work, thank God for ESPN3! :) The international view goes live at 5am, ESPN3's coverage of holes 14, 15, and 16 goes live at 6am. And then at 7am, video goes live for the coverage of the 1st and 18th holes, as well the feed from ESPN on TV goes live on EPSN3. So I'll still get to watch some golf Saturday morning at least. :D

SmoothPancakes
07-14-2011, 06:44 AM
I Watch golf sports highlights, but dont know anyone who sits and watches tournaments...?

Oh man, I love watching the tournaments. I have watched every round of every major so far this year, and in many of the past years. I also try to make it out to watch tournaments in person whenever they come around here.

I went with my dad back in 2003 to watch the US Senior Open at Inverness Club up in Toledo, Ohio. It was an awesome experience. I got to watch some of the legends play in person. Tom Watson, Fuzzy Zoeller, Arnold Palmer, Jack Nicklaus, Gary Player, Craig Stadler (The Walrus), Tom Kite, Tom Jenkins, J.C. Snead (nephew of the legendary Sam Snead), and Bruce Lietzke. Sadly, Greg Norman didn't play that year, so he is still one of the golf greats that I haven't seen in person.

And in fact, the US Senior Open is playing once again at Inverness Club up in Toledo this year here in two weeks, July 28th-31st. I'm gonna see if I can get a hold of passes for it. If anything, our radio stations are giving away passes for the Senior Open, so maybe I can get a pair set aside for my own use. :D

SmoothPancakes
07-14-2011, 07:01 AM
Wow! Dustin Johnson just hit a hole in one on Hole 16, on live TV. Just the 23rd ace in the last 30 years of the British Open, according to the guys on ESPN.

Dustin Johnson was +4 in his first 13 holes of the day. He's now -4 in his last three holes to get back to even par with two to play.

SmoothPancakes
07-15-2011, 06:07 AM
And we have another ace! Tom Watson hit an ace on the 6th Hole just a little bit ago. Ball bounced on the green maybe 5-7 feet above the hole, came down and went straight into the hole. That ace moved him from +2, and possibly in danger of missing the cut, to -1 and lots of room for any potential mistakes the rest of his round.

JBHuskers
07-15-2011, 10:07 AM
I absolutely HAVE to watch that Tom Watson ace. I'm a huge Watson fan.

Cowherd is ripping on Rory cuz he's not at the top of the leaderboard. I like Colin, but here he's being fucking dumb. Rory is only 4 strokes back in 25th :fp:

I have always said that once Arnie no longer can play in The Masters Par 3, that Tom should replace him in the group with Jack and Gary.

SmoothPancakes
07-15-2011, 10:27 AM
I absolutely HAVE to watch that Tom Watson ace. I'm a huge Watson fan.

Cowherd is ripping on Rory cuz he's not at the top of the leaderboard. I like Colin, but here he's being fucking dumb. Rory is only 4 strokes back in 25th :fp:

I have always said that once Arnie no longer can play in The Masters Par 3, that Tom should replace him in the group with Jack and Gary.

Oh, it was incredible to watch on TV. I saw that ball bounce up and I started saying "no way!" and bam, he dunked it in the cup. Just as great as watching his hole in one, is when they were interviewing him after he got off the course. Watching his reaction as he got to see it for the first time (since you can't see the cup from the tee on the 6th hole) was awesome.

And I am the same. Tom Watson is one of my most favorite golfers. I would watch Tom Watson play a round of golf any day over anyone else playing on the PGA Tour. Hell, I'd give anything just to be able to meet him face to face and shake his hand.

JBHuskers
07-15-2011, 10:29 AM
Oh, it was incredible to watch on TV. I saw that ball bounce up and I started saying "no way!" and bam, he dunked it in the cup. Just as great as watching his hole in one, is when they were interviewing him after he got off the course. Watching his reaction as he got to see it for the first time (since you can't see the cup from the tee on the 6th hole) was awesome.

And I am the same. Tom Watson is one of my most favorite golfers. I would watch Tom Watson play a round of golf any day over anyone else playing on the PGA Tour. Hell, I'd give anything just to be able to meet him face to face and shake his hand.

:nod:

JBHuskers
07-15-2011, 02:54 PM
I love it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsIVDvN_0hw

bdoughty
07-15-2011, 07:35 PM
Tom Watson is class, pure and simple.

My boy Sergio is just hanging around at even par.

SmoothPancakes
07-16-2011, 02:35 AM
Tom Watson is class, pure and simple.

My boy Sergio is just hanging around at even par.

Completely, entirely agreed. Tom Watson is one of the classiest golfers the game has ever seen. One of the reasons why he is one of my absolute favorite golfers and why I'm a huge fan of his.

SmoothPancakes
07-16-2011, 02:41 AM
How about Miguel Angel Jimenez's warm up and stretching routine yesterday morning? With cigar included. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PuO3y1DopM

JBHuskers
07-16-2011, 11:57 AM
How about Miguel Angel Jimenez's warm up and stretching routine yesterday morning? With cigar included. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PuO3y1DopM

...another one of my favorite golfers. He's the most interesting man in the world! hah

JBHuskers
07-16-2011, 11:59 AM
Doing some make up time at work so I have The Open up on ESPN3....(thank you Baby Jesus for ESPN3), and Anthony Kim, welcome back to the PGA TOUR.

JBHuskers
07-16-2011, 01:00 PM
Who can forget this shot last year at The Open by Jimenez?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIKGf0Xl_CA

JBHuskers
07-16-2011, 01:02 PM
As much as I would like an American to break the streak, I would have no arguements with Darren Clarke winning The Open. I'm also a big fan of Rickie Fowler, and winning The Open would be as improbable for his first major as any.

JBHuskers
07-16-2011, 01:18 PM
Tom Watson is tied for 25th in The Open and he's basically doing analyst commentary on the telecast now...this guy just rocks.

JBHuskers
07-16-2011, 01:46 PM
Clarke on tonight's plans: "I'll stuff my face and try not to drink too much. Then I'll wake up in the morning and stuff my face again."

bdoughty
07-16-2011, 03:57 PM
Well Sergio, you tried but now Tom Watson is tied with you and probably set to pass you in round four. I am pulling for DJ now. South Carolina took the CWS, now it is time for Coastal Carolina to get some love. I do not want Rickie Fowler to win. Someone needs to smack him upside the head and tell him to lose the Justin Beiber look.