PDA

View Full Version : What could be better than this???

Dr Death
07-11-2011, 03:39 PM
Just over 8 hours until the new game is in my hands and what's on Starz right now???

RUDY

I just know by the time I get the game and start as an OC, I'll be naming :Notre_Dame: as my Alma mater! :D :D :D

ram29jackson
07-11-2011, 05:36 PM
you know what, its a pretty decent movie, I like it to a degree.But I dont get the big deal ? its a pretty common thing...I dont mean its common for alot of guys to come out for a football team... a guy was a practice scrub and went to classes...this is movie worthy? this is a great story ? ..I am not trying to troll or be difficult at all. I just think its really not a big deal

Dr Death
07-11-2011, 06:08 PM
you know what, its a pretty decent movie, I like it to a degree.But I dont get the big deal ? its a pretty common thing...I dont mean its common for alot of guys to come out for a football team... a guy was a practice scrub and went to classes...this is movie worthy? this is a great story ? ..I am not trying to troll or be difficult at all. I just think its really not a big deal

I'll try to explain it for you... or at least, what this movie has always meant to me, and I have seen it now so many times I have lost count. Probably over 40! :D

It's about a kid who had a dream and everyone told him it was impossible. They laughed at him, mocked him... and this was his own family! At the time... the mid 1970's, Notre Dame was as huge as it got in college football... so the dream was big. But Rudy wasn't. He was like 5'5" and 160 pounds. And slow. And not a very good student.

Everything in the world was stacked against him and yet, through sheer determination, guts, will-power and the refusal to take NO for an answer, he persevered and made it. And then he finally got to play... and got in on a sack.

Now the movie takes some liberties w/ the truth. I've known about that for years, but it's still brilliant film-making. In real life he got a half-sack as another teammate met him at the QB. There are other "liberties" taken in the movie which I won't go into so as to not spoil it for anyone.

But, for me... the movie symbolizes the simple notion that no matter what your dream is, you can achieve it. He worked very hard to get there and paid some tremendous sacrifices... his girl-friend ends up w/ his brother after he leaves home for school... but he did it. He made his dream come true.

So... yeah, I can see how one would see it the way you do... but it's more than that when you consider his lack of athletic ability, lack of size, diminished smarts in the class room... yet, he overcame everything and made his dream happen. And to me... there is nothing more beautiful than that!

ram29jackson
07-11-2011, 06:32 PM
how is a practice squad scrub who never had a impact on the field a dream come true ?

the dream came true for all the starters,.. not for him. I'm not poo pooing ( I just typed poo pooing..? ) what you just said, I'm just drawing the hard line. ...and killing time till tomorrow haha

souljahbill
07-11-2011, 06:34 PM
how is a practice squad scrub who never had a impact on the field a dream come true ?

the dream came true for all the starters,.. not for him. I'm not poo pooing ( I just typed poo pooing..? ) what you just said, I'm just drawing the hard line. ...and killing time till tomorrow haha

Really dude?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

morsdraconis
07-11-2011, 06:45 PM
Ram, you really are a curmudgeonly old bastard aren't you? ;)

HawkFan
07-11-2011, 06:47 PM
While I do not agree totally with Ram, I really dislike that movie. But then again maybe that comes from total and utter hate of Notre Dame and everything associated with it.

mtoo22
07-11-2011, 06:50 PM
A dream come true for him. I hate Notre Dame, but its a good story.

Spot the.....

ram29jackson
07-11-2011, 06:59 PM
Ram, you really are a curmudgeonly old bastard aren't you? ;)

:D I am neither old nor a bastard :D and have you seen some of your posts lately? ;)

theres been a million practice scrubs before and after him, why does he get a movie?

HawkFan
07-11-2011, 07:02 PM
:D I am neither old nor a bastard :D and have you seen some of your posts lately? ;)

theres been a million practice scrubs before and after him, why does he get a movie?

Pure and simple answer, it's Notre Dame. And thus being part of the reason I hate Notre Dame.

morsdraconis
07-11-2011, 07:05 PM

;)

I agree. And, according to Joe Montana (on the team at the same time as Rudy) the story is INCREDIBLY embellished and "Hollywoodized" but it does make a good story, even if you have to wonder why he deserves a movie. Remember The Titans, Friday Night Lights, and Any Given Sunday are FAR better football movies followed closely by The Longest Yard ('74 version, not that atrocious '05 version with Adam Sandler).

HawkFan
07-11-2011, 07:07 PM
;)

I agree. And, according to Joe Montana (on the team at the same time as Rudy) the story is INCREDIBLY embellished and "Hollywoodized" but it does make a good story, even if you have to wonder why he deserves a movie. Remember The Titans, Friday Night Lights, and Any Given Sunday are FAR better football movies followed closely by The Longest Yard ('74 version, not that atrocious '05 version with Adam Sandler).

Along those same lines I have heard that Remember The Titans is hugely embellished and Hollywoodized. Anyone know any truth to that.

souljahbill
07-11-2011, 07:08 PM
;)

I love me some Friday Night Lights. The movie and the tv show.

HawkFan
07-11-2011, 07:08 PM
I love me some Friday Night Lights. The movie and the tv show.

Not huge on the TV show. I watched the first season and then lost interest.

souljahbill
07-11-2011, 07:12 PM
Not huge on the TV show. I watched the first season and then lost interest.

I'm saddened that this Friday is the series finale.

ram29jackson
07-11-2011, 07:13 PM
...no one seems to remember -Everybody's All American- that was a good movie too...

HawkFan
07-11-2011, 07:17 PM
...no one seems to remember -Everybody's All American- that was a good movie too...

Is that the one about Billy Cannon from LSU?

morsdraconis
07-11-2011, 07:19 PM
Everybody's All American (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095119/)

Sounds pretty damn good. I'll have to check it out next time I have a chance to watch a movie.

HawkFan
07-11-2011, 07:22 PM
Yep thats the one I thought it was. It's a pretty good movie. Oh and about Remember the Titans I cound my answer and I won't ruin the movie for anyone with what I found.

bdoughty
07-11-2011, 07:25 PM
Ahh Rudy, if not for it being about ND I would give it a 10/10.

For those who have never seen it, the actual play (not quite as exciting as the movie)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z950ovP7N4

and a little documentary

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEGOTWwd14M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VL4fEUKwdPw

ram29jackson
07-11-2011, 07:26 PM
Yep thats the one I thought it was. It's a pretty good movie. Oh and about Remember the Titans I cound my answer and I won't ruin the movie for anyone with what I found.

aaww come on , spill it...or message me about it

HawkFan
07-11-2011, 07:30 PM
Oh okay, here is what I found. Way to long to type.

http://www.chasingthefrog.com/reelfaces/rememberthetitans.php

bdoughty
07-11-2011, 07:51 PM
Similar to Friday Night Lights. I can understand wanting to dramatize it for theatrical purposes but putting Permian and Dallas Carter in the Championship game? Those two teams could never play in the championship based on the regions they are in. It was a semifinal game that was played in Austin, in the rain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rBf4aUKDR4

souljahbill
07-11-2011, 07:52 PM
I think Remember the Titans is highly overrated. It's a decent movie but it didn't "move" me like it apparently did everyone else.

Lord Marshall X
07-12-2011, 12:36 AM
Rudy couldn't even breath on a NCAA 2011 dynasty team. He would be back at Holly Cross in a second.

psuexv
07-21-2011, 09:40 AM
Along those same lines I have heard that Remember The Titans is hugely embellished and Hollywoodized. Anyone know any truth to that.

Yeah there's even some questions answered on the Original teams site

http://www.71originaltitans.com/faqs.html

SmoothPancakes
07-21-2011, 10:55 AM
I didn't even realize this had been brought back up to the first page by psuexv. But the TRUE The Longest Yard, the 1974 Burt Reynolds version, not that modern remake crap, is currently on AMC. Been on since 10:15 EST. Going to be on for another 45 minutes or so. It'll also be on again this Sunday at 8:30am EST.