PDA

View Full Version : It lives in YOU. The emotion of college football.

Lord Marshall X
07-08-2011, 01:57 PM
Every year the developers and fans talk about the feel of college football and the pageantry and realism which they try force to into these new animations and entrances in the game. Now I agree we could use new commentary and stat overlays, way more I think than custom entrances, but the look of the game is not exactly what we are looking for. We have to stop looking at this game not as a stripper but as wife materiel and those are two different criteria.

We as men, 99 out of 100 of us are men, that play NCAA play not only for fun but for the competition. Every year I hear that the computer does not play like this or that but to be completely honest, even on Heisman I feel that the computer has to cheat to beat me. Everyone knows that they can become completely unstoppable when they want to. An All conference corner can get beat all game long by a 72 overall QB playing receiver in NCAA 2011 and we all know it, I've seen it happen.

As much as people love their Idaho offline dynasties there is no better game mode in all of sports games than the Online Dynasty mode. Is it the most polished? Absolutely not. But the visceral experience of battling not only for wins in your conference and the national championship, but also on the recruiting trail with 11 other people cannot be matched.

I have played close to 60 years of Online dynasty in the last 3 years of NCAA Football and there is nothing to compare to some of the rivalries we had. Notre Dame vs USC, or as we called it in our dynasty, Big Austin vs. Little Austin because both of the guys were named Austin, but one was an Adult and the other was a kid.

Or the heated Oregon/Michigan rivalry between Danny and Opher. Two guys that ran similar styles of offense that HATED each other. Played in the Rose bowl every year almost in absolutely hilarious trash talking shoot outs.

Or the time that Rutgers beat Florida by absolutely pounding the ball down his throat and then hitting random play-action passes all game. (This was NCAA 2010 running when you couldn't just bounce the dive outside or run the ACE counter all game to have an effective running game.)

Not the mention the recruiting battles for digital players who are now legends in our Online Dynasty community. Archie the best pure pocket passer QB we ever saw who had 2 losses in his 4 years at Miami. Burns the sideline to sideline FS of the 3-3-5 national championship defense of LSU in 2029. Or Sharp the QB at Florida who was the best QB in the dynasty his JR and SR year but was always threatened with benching.

The absolute venom that everyone had for the players that would just fall into Florida's lap in recruiting, I swear Regulator never had to recruit a big time receiver, he just offered and they signed.

Some of that was taken away last year because of the new recruiting system and the talent divide between 3 star players and the 4 and 5 star recruits. As well as the fact that not being in the top 3 on a players board in a big dynasty means don't even recruit him. As well as things like plain bad recruits such as a slew of C+ speed Strong Safeties and a whole bunch of C kick power kickers with one A+ that is given to a random team every year.

We spent a lot of time last year complaining about the recruits. How Michigan had 3 99 overall QB's on his roster or how the kid at Oklahoma had a 97 speed QB a 99 speed RB and a 90 speed defensive end and could run dive out of the goaline to the house on you. A lot of rivalries became irrelevant because you could pick every game not based on the skill of the player but on who had the most talent. The only way in NCAA 2011 to have good long term dynasties would be to have like a dozen house rules like TSO.

That was the problem with NCAA 2011 dynasty mode when it came to playing online. It gave too much power to the computer which is great for offline dynasties where you are only competing against the computer, but when there are 11 other people in the dynasty 4 or 5 teams become have-nots because there is not enough talent to go around.

People look for the developers to manufacture that "feeling" but you can never have it against the computer regardless how big the game is the emotion will always be one sided.

Stop looking for it in the computer and realize that it lives in you, and you and you too! Get out there and join an online dynasty and lets pray to the heavens that 3 star players will actually be good enough to touch the field this year.

Koach Vonner
07-08-2011, 02:18 PM
Nice right up. As a Online Dynasty guy that's where I get my fix in NCAA Football. That and head to head matches when people are over to the crib. The computer is a time filler and for the birds

Kingpin32
07-08-2011, 03:21 PM
I thought this was gonna be a poem when I looked at the title. But it was nice write up to read.

JeffHCross
07-08-2011, 04:21 PM
We have to stop looking at this game not as a stripper but as wife materiel and those are two different criteria. Damn, those aren't the same? I've been doing this the wrong way the whole time.

People look for the developers to manufacture that "feeling" but you can never have it against the computer regardless how big the game is the emotion will always be one sided.

Stop looking for it in the computer and realize that it lives in you, and you and you too! Get out there and join an online dynasty and lets pray to the heavens that 3 star players will actually be good enough to touch the field this year.Amen.

ram29jackson
07-08-2011, 04:25 PM
didnt this guy post something else that paakaa pointed out as being pretty much stolen from another write up...?

Paakaa10
07-08-2011, 04:56 PM
didnt this guy post something else that paakaa pointed out as being pretty much stolen from another write up...?

Nope; that was SGTUSMC or something like that. I believe the thread title was something about "a good year for football games" or something.

ram29jackson
07-08-2011, 05:30 PM
Nope; that was SGTUSMC or something like that. I believe the thread title was something about "a good year for football games" or something.

this one still looks fishy.....its an article , not a post

JeffHCross
07-08-2011, 05:55 PM
this one still looks fishy.....its an article , not a postWell, a quick Google search shows no evidence of it having been posted anywhere else.

And, if you've read his other posts, there are several items in this one that he has mentioned multiple times in other threads.

ram29jackson
07-08-2011, 06:42 PM
Well, a quick Google search shows no evidence of it having been posted anywhere else.

And, if you've read his other posts, there are several items in this one that he has mentioned multiple times in other threads.

mentioned multiple times? dude, I aint that wrapped in every inch of this site and theres a ton of posters lately of course haha

And every time I have a thought, I dont google each and every question, I try to actually communicate my thoughts for interaction :)

JeffHCross
07-08-2011, 07:05 PM
I don't expect you to know everything posted by everyone, nor would I expect you to Google search stuff. I only did it because you essentially accused him of plagiarism. So I thought I'd do a quick check to see. I couldn't remember who it was that Paakaa had called out in another thread.

I only remember his other posts because I've replied to them. It wasn't intended to call you out.

ram29jackson
07-08-2011, 07:13 PM
I don't expect you to know everything posted by everyone, nor would I expect you to Google search stuff. I only did it because you essentially accused him of plagiarism. So I thought I'd do a quick check to see. I couldn't remember who it was that Paakaa had called out in another thread.

I only remember his other posts because I've replied to them. It wasn't intended to call you out.

I dont call it plagiarism when someone just posts something from somewhere else or even copies it without saying who it is. Thats just being a lazy weirdo haha. Its not plagiarism until you profit financially or get accolades for it and dont fess up, so to speak.

JeffHCross
07-08-2011, 07:30 PM
Plagiarism has nothing to do with profit, but :: shrug ::, it doesn't matter here.

Lord Marshall X
07-09-2011, 12:28 AM
I wrote this. Today on my couch. Do you think I copied someone else's stories and pretended like they were mine?

SmoothPancakes
07-09-2011, 12:32 AM
I wrote this. Today on my couch. Do you think I copied someone else's stories and pretended like they were mine?

With ram, you never know. :D

Lord Marshall X
07-09-2011, 12:37 AM
With ram, you never know. :D

Lol!!!

Jeff and I have corresponded on other post. Thats why he said that I didn't copy this from anyone.

OptionMasta
07-09-2011, 04:52 PM
I agree LMX. Let's hope we get a good game this year instead of garbage.

Lord Marshall X
07-09-2011, 10:04 PM

I know man! We can only Hope.

Jayrah
07-10-2011, 10:46 PM

Last year was not garbage. I went for my first taste of Online dynasty and had the most fun I've ever had in this franchise (been playing since it's xbox inception). Played all the way to about a week ago. There were some issues that if cleaned up, would and will make 12 an extremely good game, but nothing that could even come close to the label of "garbage". Let's get real, all that is this season is available because Ncaa 11 took such a major leap over anything in this series before it.

Jayrah
07-10-2011, 10:46 PM
Nice write up btw LMX. Enjoyed.

Lord Marshall X
07-12-2011, 12:30 AM
Last year was not garbage. I went for my first taste of Online dynasty and had the most fun I've ever had in this franchise (been playing since it's xbox inception). Played all the way to about a week ago. There were some issues that if cleaned up, would and will make 12 an extremely good game, but nothing that could even come close to the label of "garbage". Let's get real, all that is this season is available because Ncaa 11 took such a major leap over anything in this series before it.

4 verticals
Ace Counter
Every Crossing route in the game.

The pass defense was like rainman. A retarded genius. Man coverage bordered on precog while zone coverage was absolutely retarded.

Combine that with horrible 3 stars and great 4 and 5 star players and a completely computer manipulated recruiting system from a person that pretty much exclusively plays in a full competitive online dynasty the game was unplayable.

The rest of the game was greatly improved from an aesthetic sense and everyone loves feeling like they can play offense. Thats why 2011 is highly touted, you can't D people up. Everyone loves a shoot out.

ram29jackson
07-12-2011, 01:56 AM
I agree the zones were pretty loose but I watched alot of that guy Nykia31 on youtube and he constantly played conservative zone defense on pass plays and had success with it...some people learned how to make it work.

OptionMasta
07-12-2011, 02:52 AM

I wasn't implying that NCAA 11 was garbage although I can see now how you would have gotten than from what I posted. While NCAA 11 wasn't completely awful, it wasn't EA's best offering either. There were plenty of issues to go around. I'm glad that you enjoyed it despite the flaws. I got quite a bit of enjoyment out of it myself.

We still need to reserve judgment on NCAA 12 now. It will take a while for all of its warts to come out.

Lord Marshall X
07-12-2011, 08:25 AM
I agree the zones were pretty loose but I watched alot of that guy Nykia31 on youtube and he constantly played conservative zone defense on pass plays and had success with it...some people learned how to make it work.

If you HAVE to run conservative all encompassing zones that it IS broken. I watch him too and he runs the same 3 zones over and over because he HAS to. Thats is the best way to actually stop people. I went from running 20 solid defensive plays in NCAA 2010 to 4 in NCAA 2011. Its partially the bad zones and partially the eye in the sky camera that lets you see the entire field at the snap of the ball.