PDA

View Full Version : Playstation 3 Discussion

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

I OU a Beatn
06-09-2010, 11:36 AM
PSN is going to be down tomorrow for 12 hours. You wont be able to access the store or account management and you MAY have problems logging it.

Maybe those rumors of Sony revealing a new XMB and premium PSN at E3 are true.

UGA14
06-09-2010, 12:01 PM
12 hours? Yikes. Does that mean online play for games will be down? Is there a reason given as to why it will be down, just maintenance??

Kwizzy
06-09-2010, 12:05 PM
Just so long as they get whatever it is done by monday for the demo I'm good! :D

gschwendt
06-09-2010, 12:10 PM
Actually, I the PSN being down is today. Currently, I believe it's only the PSN Store and Account Management that are down. Online gaming is still available as are the friends list.

cdj
06-09-2010, 12:10 PM
The TW11 Online Pass codes for PS3 won't work until tomorrow due to this maintenance as well. (Couldn't even enter them while the servers have been up the last few days.) Must be something big on the way or they are updating/changing something.

UGA14
06-09-2010, 12:22 PM
The TW11 Online Pass codes for PS3 won't work until tomorrow due to this maintenance as well. (Couldn't even enter them while the servers have been up the last few days.) Must be something big on the way or they are updating/changing something.

Speaking of which, where do you enter that? I was thinking there would be a prompt or something, but I've yet to even find where I enter that.

I OU a Beatn
06-09-2010, 12:49 PM
Ahh, I guess it is today. I misread the blog post. I'm online currently, so I'm assuming online play will work. The Store and Account Management will not though.

UGA14
06-09-2010, 01:02 PM
I cannot sign on. Nice.

cdj
06-09-2010, 01:07 PM
Speaking of which, where do you enter that? I was thinking there would be a prompt or something, but I've yet to even find where I enter that.

For me, it popped up when I first got the game and asked how/if I wanted to access online. I picked the 'free one week trial' knowing the code wouldn't work. I'm guessing once the week ends it will then ask me for the code.

gschwendt
06-09-2010, 01:11 PM
I cannot sign on. Nice.
Hmm... I wonder if it's a matter of being "grandfathered in" but I'm online now. I've been signed on since sometime this morning so I wonder if I was online before everything went down so I can remain online until I sign out. Of note, IOU is the only other person on my friends list that's currently online.

For me, it popped up when I first got the game and asked how/if I wanted to access online. I picked the 'free one week trial' knowing the code wouldn't work. I'm guessing once the week ends it will then ask me for the code.
I was never prompted about access to online. I assume once they realized the server for Online Pass was going to be down for a while, they temporarily removed the Online Pass restriction.

I OU a Beatn
06-09-2010, 01:13 PM
I cannot sign on. Nice.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I'm guessing you wont be able to log on until after the update is done. I've been on ever since this morning and that's how the last update was as well. If you were on before it started, you were good as long as you didn't log off. If you tried to log on after it started, you couldn't do so.

JBHuskers
06-09-2010, 01:22 PM
Sounds like this will be down until around 10:30 central. (approximately)

Kwizzy
06-10-2010, 09:38 PM
Anyone know if they've ever talked about adding a sleep timer to the PS3? It would be nice so my system wouldn't run all night when I fall asleep watching a movie.

I OU a Beatn
06-10-2010, 09:50 PM
You can set your PS3 to turn off after like 2 hours of inactivity. Of course, if you're watching a movie, since it's interacting, that might actually not shut it off. I'm not sure about that one.

Kingpin32
06-10-2010, 11:08 PM
I think the downtime might be for the new PSN+ their supposed to be unveiling at E3, and also the whole 3D gaming might have something to do with it too.

I OU a Beatn
06-11-2010, 12:58 PM
Two "HUGE" announcements coming tomorrow morning on the European Playstation Blog.

I OU a Beatn
06-11-2010, 02:43 PM
Debut trailers of Killzone 3, SOCOM 4, and Gran Turismo 5 all tonight on GTTV.

I OU a Beatn
06-15-2010, 05:32 PM
Firmware update 3.40 coming next Tuesday. Only thing known so far is that it's to allow PSN+.

gschwendt
06-25-2010, 08:08 AM
Bloomberg: Hulu Coming to PSN 'Soon' (http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/24/bloomberg-hulu-coming-to-playstation-network-soon/)

Will be awesome if it happens but before E3, 360 & iPad were both rumored to be getting Hulu as well and so far nothing has happened.

spiker
06-25-2010, 08:55 AM
Bloomberg: Hulu Coming to PSN 'Soon' (http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/24/bloomberg-hulu-coming-to-playstation-network-soon/)

Will be awesome if it happens but before E3, 360 & iPad were both rumored to be getting Hulu as well and so far nothing has happened.

Is there anything good that's still free on Hulu anymore? They used to have IASIP but I think they started charging for it.

gschwendt
06-25-2010, 09:39 AM
Is there anything good that's still free on Hulu anymore? They used to have IASIP but I think they started charging for it.
Truth be told, with DVR I rarely watch Hulu anymore but I loved it before. I just checked though and they have the 3 most recent IASIP episodes. I think that's how they've started doing a lot of shows.

I like it now for shows that I don't DVR but hear about afterwards.

I OU a Beatn
06-28-2010, 05:44 PM
For those of whom who have not checked the PS+ thread, Firmware Update 3.40:

Hi everyone, once again we’re adding new features to the PlayStation 3 (PS3) system via firmware update to ensure we’re bringing you the best, most comprehensive entertainment experience possible. PS3 system software update (v3.40) will be available soon, adding the PlayStation Plus subscription, enhancements to the connection between your PlayStation Network and Facebook accounts and more. Additionally, we’ll be launching system software update (v6.30) for the PSP (PlayStation Portable) system simultaneously with PS3 system software update (v3.40), adding PlayStation Plus compatibility as well as other new features.

We’ve gone ahead and provided a few highlights from PS3 firmware update (v3.40) below:

* PlayStation Plus: PlayStation Network users will be able to purchase membership to PlayStation Plus; a new subscription service on the PlayStation Network that provides you with new options to expand and enhance your gaming experience and enable you to gain an exclusive set of features and content. Friendly reminder, all of you PlayStation Network users will continue to have free access to PlayStation Network’s unmatched and expanding suite of new and exclusive features while PlayStation Plus subscribers will gain access to an exclusive and expanding set of gaming features, content and functionality.
* Photo Gallery: A new network based photo sharing feature is now available on the Photo Gallery. The enhancement allows you to upload, browse and comment on photos on Facebook and Picasa Web Album. You can also opt to share your photos between your PlayStation Network friends as well as print photos from Photo Gallery.
* Video Editor & Uploader: Video Editor and Uploader is a new function found on the XrossMediaBar (XMB), which enables you to edit, save and upload video files stored on the PS3 system to sites such as Facebook or YouTube.
* Five Star Rating Support: Users can rate the PlayStation Store content they have purchased with one to five star ratings.
* Power Save Settings: The default setting for PS3 System Auto-Off will be set at 2 hours, providing you with additional power save options and further improving power save features on the PS3 system.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4075/4743055003_71d9b7f06a_m.jpghttp://farm5.static.flickr.com/4138/4743693454_2bd13e6903_m.jpg

In addition to the latest features introduced in PS3 system software update (v3.40), a separate, new PlayStation Network application on Facebook.com will be made available. This builds upon what was previously launched with Trophies and the ability to publish purchases from the PlayStation Store. Now you can further integrate your PlayStation Network and Facebook accounts with this new application. The application allows you to display your PlayStation Network profile on your Facebook account, find out which of your Facebook friends have a PSN account and send them a PlayStation Network friend request, view your PSN friends’ online status and add the PlayStation Network application tab to your Facebook user profile.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4079/4743692160_e0ed6d9dde_t.jpghttp://farm5.static.flickr.com/4102/4743055445_9e5b0434d9_t.jpghttp://farm5.static.flickr.com/4117/4743055243_87d4498976_t.jpg

We’re very excited to be able to provide you with continued system software upgrades, which ensure your PS3 and PSP systems remain compelling offerings for years to come. For more details and instructions on how to update the system software for the PS3 and PSP systems, please visit http://www.us.playstation.com/PS3/Features/SystemUpdate and http://us.playstation.com/support/systemupdates/psp/.

Playstation Blog (http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/06/28/playstation-3-system-software-update-v3-40-available-soon-2/)

Looks like a great update. Really excited to try all this new stuff out. If past updates are any indication, this will go live later tonight around 11pm or 12am EST.

cdj
06-28-2010, 09:50 PM
FW 3.4 is available now.

I OU a Beatn
06-28-2010, 09:50 PM
Update is live now.

I OU a Beatn
06-28-2010, 10:08 PM
Found a hidden feature already not mentioned. Whenever you scroll over someone on your friend's list, their trophy level is displayed to the right of their name without having to click X on their name. Nice job. Now add the trophy counts for bronze, silver, gold, platinum, and total below that and it'll be perfect.

cdj
06-28-2010, 10:13 PM
So did you update to PSN+?

I OU a Beatn
06-28-2010, 10:21 PM
I was under the assumption you wouldn't be able to get it until the store updates tomorrow. I'm pretty sure this update just allowed the ability for the features Plus introduces to work, but I couldn't see any option where you could sign up for it right now.

cdj
06-28-2010, 10:36 PM
I was under the assumption you wouldn't be able to get it until the store updates tomorrow. I'm pretty sure this update just allowed the ability for the features Plus introduces to work, but I couldn't see any option where you could sign up for it right now.

It's in the store right now. I just purchased it. D/L WipeOut HD as we speak. Not sure how that auto download of select demos & patches works though.

I OU a Beatn
06-28-2010, 10:36 PM
Sorry, CDJ, I lied. :D It's available right now. You go Settings, System Settings, Automatic Download, On, Set a Time, and then it'll ask you if you wanna join. Hit yes, it'll tell you it auto renews like on XBL, then you pick a year(free 3 months) or 3 months, and then it gives you a special icon by your name(a gold plus sign) and then you get a special "Playstation Plus" section in the store where you can download all you free stuff. Loving it so far, for sure.

cdj
06-28-2010, 10:45 PM
Thanks for the info on the auto downloads. Wasn't snooping hard enough to find that.

I OU a Beatn
06-28-2010, 10:53 PM
I love Playstation Plus already. For the first month you get Wipeout HD($20), Rally Cross($6), Age of Zombies($5), Warhawk Expansion($2), Collision Theme, $1 discount and early access to the Fat Princess expansion, 2 Fat Princess avatars, and discounts on a bunch of Midway and Tiki Games titles. So, right there you get $34+ off the $50 you paid for 2 months. It pays for itself in probably 2 or 3 months, which is awesome. It's almost as if the deal is too good to be true. :D

cdj
06-28-2010, 11:04 PM
I wonder if they will be able to keep up with the bonuses, but you would think they'd have that mapped out months in advance. If not, they won't be letting the actor who plays Kevin Butler be making anymore decisions for the company. ;)

I OU a Beatn
06-28-2010, 11:06 PM
I don't know man. If they keep this pace(I'm sure they wont), they'll be giving away hundreds of dollars of content for a $50 entry fee. I don't see how they could possibly do that, but I'm not going to complain. Another month and it will have paid for itself anyway. :D

cdj
06-28-2010, 11:10 PM
I have a feeling this is what Sony's offices are going to look like (http://www.comicsreporter.com/images/uploads/fffmoneybin.jpg) by the end of the week, if not tomorrow morning.

I hope they will start moving patch releases to early morning, but I doubt that given they always do updates in the evening. The auto-DL will be nice for firmware and patches on games not in my rotation, but for titles I am currently playing I doubt it will be that handy. It says they can also push through videos they feel I may find interesting. I wonder how often that will occur and what vids.

I OU a Beatn
06-28-2010, 11:14 PM
I thought Qore was supposed to be included with this, or was I dreaming?

cdj
06-28-2010, 11:15 PM
It is supposed to be included. Look in your download history in the store. When you subscribe, Qore gets put in there. It's weird, but that's where it goes if you buy it. You may have to scroll a long ways.

I OU a Beatn
06-28-2010, 11:19 PM
I've never subscribed before to Qore, but I could have sworn that I read it was included with the PS Plus package. It's not on my subscription list or download list, and when I look at it on the Store, I still have to pay for the individual episodes or the full year. Maybe it's not included after all, or maybe I have to wait until tomorrow after the store updates.

JeffHCross
06-28-2010, 11:29 PM
First off, at launch, PlayStation Plus will offer subscribers the full PlayStation Network game, WipEout HD, PSP minis and PS One Classics such as Fieldrunners, Age of Zombies and Rally Cross, full game trial of inFAMOUS, as well as free monthly episodes of Qore – our high-definition, interactive gaming lifestyle show.Straight from the blog.

I OU a Beatn
06-28-2010, 11:31 PM
Aha! I thought I read that somewhere. I'll just assume that it'll update tomorrow with the regular store update then. Thanks for the quote, Jeff.

cdj
06-28-2010, 11:31 PM
Maybe they are waiting for next month's episode so the first one of the subscription isn't from June 1.

I OU a Beatn
06-28-2010, 11:32 PM
That could be it, too. That never even crossed my mind, but it would make a lot of sense. That just makes the deal even sweeter.

gschwendt
06-28-2010, 11:43 PM
I'm loving the new photo & video features. I was already a pretty big Picasa user (another way Google owns my life) so adding that is pretty big for me. As well, with a quick tinkering with the video editor, it's actually kinda nice. I edited a quick video that I captured from my HDPVR and it handled the M2TS video file natively with ease (a rare feat for video editors). Not sure if I'll actually use it or not but there's a possibility that I could end up using this for highlight videos... just have to see how bad it is for doing hour long videos instead of 10 min videos.

gschwendt
06-28-2010, 11:53 PM
Here's the video I edited. All in all, really quite painless if you are at all familiar with video editing. Granted I didn't do a whole lot to it, I just cut out some footage before & after this clip. As well, you can add music, which I did with one of the built-in tracks. I assume you could select music that's on your HDD but I didn't have any so I didn't bother.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_x8mbc1QHA

One thing of note is that the video is supposed to be 720p. Not sure if it's because it's still processing or what but currently it only offers up to 480p.

I OU a Beatn
06-28-2010, 11:55 PM
Hopefully this encourages more developers to use ability to capture clips of gameplay, but I doubt it.

cdj
06-28-2010, 11:56 PM
What did you do, Tommy? Record to CPU HD, move to PS3, then edit and upload?

gschwendt
06-28-2010, 11:57 PM
What did you do, Tommy? Record to CPU HD, move to PS3, then edit and upload?
Yeah. I recorded it earlier today (testing out my HDPVR) and just copied over the video clip from a thumb-drive. Then went through the edit process and uploaded it.

cdj
06-28-2010, 11:59 PM
Sweet. It looks pretty sharp to me so I may have to try it out.

Flav
06-29-2010, 12:01 AM
Wow, I wish the 360 offered that. I might get a PS3 and call it my capture card/bluray player..

I OU a Beatn
06-29-2010, 12:01 AM
This basically gives Sony a perfect opportunity to one up themselves over the 360 and the Wii when it comes to being a complete multimedia machine. Where you see none of this technology on those systems, the PS3 basically has the opportunity here to allow EVERYONE(with or without a PVR) to record, edit, and upload gameplay without any special equipment or even a computer. If only they would make it mandatory for developers to include video capture like you see in games like Just Cause 2. You could record the gameplay to your PS3 using the in game feature, edit it with the new video editor, and then upload it straight to youtube. Unfortunately, I don't see many developers utilizing that feature before the update, nor do I see them utilizing it in the future, and I definitely don't see Sony making it a requirement.

cdj
06-29-2010, 12:29 AM
The Photo Gallery tie-in with Facebook is pretty cool, IMO. You can not only upload pics from your PS3, but can also browse all of your friends pics and see & leave comments as well.

I OU a Beatn
06-29-2010, 12:57 PM
Hulu Confirmed to be Coming to PS3, iPhone, Eventually 360 (http://techcrunch.com/2010/06/29/hulu-plus-premium/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+Techcrunch+%28TechCrunch%29)

spiker
06-29-2010, 06:33 PM
I like how it shows your trophy rating on your player card now. It was pretty cumbersome to call up trophies just to see that before.

spiker
06-29-2010, 06:41 PM
Tommy - Can you see yourself using the new video editor in lieu your current editing software? Do you think this will replace your current recording setup? You know I ask because my setup is pretty similar to yours.

gschwendt
06-29-2010, 07:13 PM
Tommy - Can you see yourself using the new video editor in lieu your current editing software? Do you think this will replace your current recording setup? You know I ask because my setup is pretty similar to yours.
Right off the bat, I can say no. The only reason I know it won't replace it is because apparently you can't upload video higher than 480p. With that said though, I doubt I would use it as my everyday editor anyway. I could see using it occasionally for short clips but for a full highlight video, I don't think it would be worth it. I might tinker with it on a highlight video eventually to see if I change my mind.

I OU a Beatn
06-29-2010, 09:48 PM
I like how it shows your trophy rating on your player card now. It was pretty cumbersome to call up trophies just to see that before.

I saw that right away and was glad they did that as well. However, it could be better. Slap the number of trophies for bronze, silver, gold, platinum, and total right below the trophy level and it'll be 100% perfect. It'll still be neat, but it wont look so bare bones and will be a lot easier to use.

JBHuskers
06-29-2010, 10:14 PM
I saw that right away and was glad they did that as well. However, it could be better. Slap the number of trophies for bronze, silver, gold, platinum, and total right below the trophy level and it'll be 100% perfect. It'll still be neat, but it wont look so bare bones and will be a lot easier to use.

Yep eventually they'll get there probably, step-by-step so it doesn't totally fuck things up :D

I OU a Beatn
06-29-2010, 11:26 PM
Sony has been coy on whether Hulu Plus would be available only to PlayStation Plus subscribers. There may be a reason for that. A $170 reason.

The guys at Technologizer have found that in the source code for Hulu Plus' "devices" page, you can find the following point:

"The instructions below will help you install Hulu Plus on your PS3. Note: you must be a subscriber of the Playstation Plus Network."

It's not displayed on the actual page, but as you can see below, it's definitely in the code (or at least was at time of publishing).

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/9/2010/06/500x_psplus170.jpg

While this isn't official confirmation from either Sony or Hulu, it doesn't look like a typo or slip of the tongue, either. Assuming this is true, if Hulu on your TV was a driving force behind you subscribing to PlayStation Plus, it would cost you $170 a year for the privilege ($50 for PS+, $10 a month for twelve months of Hulu Plus).

That's crazy. If you were signing up to PlayStation Plus anyways, knock yourself out, but this is hardly an enticing way to "build value".

Course, this craziness isn't specific to Sony's console. It's bound to be repeated all over again next year when the service becomes available on the Xbox 360, as it will definitely require an Xbox Live Gold subscription.

Kotaku (http://kotaku.com/5576022/rumor-hulu-plus-requires-playstation-plus-subscription)

If this turns out to be true, it sucks.

JeffHCross
06-30-2010, 08:48 PM
Yeah, I saw that in the source code yesterday. I might have actually scooped Kotaku!!!

I was presuming that a PSN+ subscription would give you a Hulu Plus subscription. If you have to get both, that's horribly stupid. Not that I really care (won't use it anyway), but there's almost no value in making us pay for both.

souljahbill
07-03-2010, 08:49 AM
When Hulu comes to the Xbox 360, you're going to need to be a Gold member so I don't see what the big deal is. At least Netflix is part of the basic PSN plan.

I OU a Beatn
07-03-2010, 08:54 AM
By the way, it was confirmed yesterday that in order to get this, you will need to pay for XBL Gold/PSN + AND the $10 a month for Hulu+ by itself, which means no go for IOU. :D

UGA14
07-03-2010, 09:22 AM
I subscribed to PS Plus. Pretty cool.

Anyways is that all of the supposed "source code?" Anyone could write that...

I OU a Beatn
07-03-2010, 10:56 AM
True, but they confirmed yesterday you would need PS+ in addition to the $10 monthly fee to access it.

gschwendt
07-07-2010, 12:11 AM
Hulu Plus For PS3 Doesn't Require PlayStation Plus After All (http://kotaku.com/5580818/hulu-plus-for-ps3-doesnt-require-playstation-plus-after-all)

Streaming video service Hulu is coming to the PlayStation 3 this month in subscription form as Hulu Plus. And despite previous reports, you won't need a second subscription to Sony's PlayStation Plus service to enjoy it.

According to Hulu's support staff, a PlayStation Plus subscription is "only a requirement during the preview period" and will not be needed when Hulu Plus launches for the general, PlayStation 3-owning public.

Hulu Plus is currently available for the iPad and certain iPhone models, with the PS3 version expected to launch this month. An Xbox 360 version is planned for 2011 and a wider global expansion for Hulu's streaming content is in the works.

I still don't plan on paying the $10 a month but at least it's more manageable for anyone that chooses to.

UGA14
07-07-2010, 07:59 AM
I won't pay either, but I heard Hulu Plus still has ads.

JBHuskers
07-07-2010, 08:21 AM
I won't pay either, but I heard Hulu Plus still has ads.

That's ridiculous if Hulu Plus has ads.

souljahbill
07-07-2010, 11:41 AM
That's ridiculous if Hulu Plus has ads.

That's why it's going to be $9.99 and not $14.99 or something like that.

Mark my words, Netflix is going to go up eventually too. The only good thing about it though is when it does, you'll gain access to new movies via streaming. A lot of bigwigs are already upset that Netflix offers so much for so little money.

UGA14
07-07-2010, 12:28 PM
I actually canceled my NetFlix the other day. I was surprised it was so easy.

The streaming service hardly ever updates and has a pretty poor amount of movies... especially compared to my OnDemand from TWC and my local video store rents all Blu-Rays for a dollar..

spiker
07-07-2010, 01:54 PM
I actually canceled my NetFlix the other day. I was surprised it was so easy.

The streaming service hardly ever updates and has a pretty poor amount of movies... especially compared to my OnDemand from TWC and my local video store rents all Blu-Rays for a dollar..

Yeah - when it comes to Netflix vs OnDemand it's really a question of quality vs quantity. You won't get those new releases on Netflix but they don't take a chunk of your wallet either. I don't mind what you get on Netflix but it's not spectacular by any stretch. OnDemand would be awesome if there was some sort of monthly subscription option.

gschwendt
07-07-2010, 02:01 PM
Netflix supposedly will be able to offer better Instant Streaming options in the future because they signed some deal with a company that negotiates when movies are available to HBO, Showtime & the like. Basically Netflix should be able to offer some movies on Instant Streaming the same time that HBO will show them on TV... at least that was my understanding. Here's a link to the article on engadget:
http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/06/netflix-adds-relativity-media-to-its-instant-queue-takes-on-hbo/

JBHuskers
07-07-2010, 07:47 PM
Beatn you're right....this trophy sync is taking FOREVER .... about 12 mins in, 33%

JeffHCross
07-07-2010, 08:48 PM
That's ridiculous if Hulu Plus has ads.It does. That's already been confirmed.

I OU a Beatn
07-07-2010, 10:50 PM
Beatn you're right....this trophy sync is taking FOREVER .... about 12 mins in, 33%

I told ya. Mine took over 20 minutes and I only had around 800 at the time. Sony needs a better system when it comes to keeping track of trophies. Auto syncing them and storing them on a server somewhere for instant access would be very nice.

JBHuskers
07-07-2010, 11:05 PM
I told ya. Mine took over 20 minutes and I only had around 800 at the time. Sony needs a better system when it comes to keeping track of trophies. Auto syncing them and storing them on a server somewhere for instant access would be very nice.

Mine took well over an hour.

CLW
07-08-2010, 10:15 AM

Thats because you guys are trophy whores. We need some redistribution of trophy wealth around here.

JBHuskers
07-08-2010, 10:20 AM
Thats because you guys are trophy whores. We need some redistribution of trophy wealth around here.

No....redistribution would be against the whore code.

I OU a Beatn
07-08-2010, 10:25 AM
No....redistribution would be against the whore code.

...in which the penalty for doing so is death.

JBHuskers
07-08-2010, 10:44 AM
...in which the penalty for doing so is death.

I still wish Minis had trophies :D

The zombie game wasn't a bad time-waster.

Kingpin32
07-08-2010, 11:28 AM

Whores deserve to wait. :D

JBHuskers
07-08-2010, 11:55 AM
Whores deserve to wait. :D

:D I just watched the Rays game on MLB Network and worked on editing videos for tomorrow while it was processing.

Kingpin32
07-19-2010, 10:32 PM
What kind of headsets do you guys use? I have a $50 gift card from Dell and I was looking at some of the Bluetooth headsets they had. Do all Bluetooth headsets work with PS3?

JeffHCross
07-19-2010, 10:40 PM
What kind of headsets do you guys use? I have a $50 gift card from Dell and I was looking at some of the Bluetooth headsets they had. Do all Bluetooth headsets work with PS3?I think almost all Bluetooth headsets work with the PS3. Here are a couple good lists to check: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=10526452&&#post10526452

I used the Official Bluetooth headset for a while, but it wasn't comfortable in my ear. Now, on the other end of the spectrum, I use the Turtle Beach Ear Force PX21. Much better than a Bluetooth, imo.

Kingpin32
07-19-2010, 10:47 PM
I think almost all Bluetooth headsets work with the PS3. Here are a couple good lists to check: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=10526452&&#post10526452

I used the Official Bluetooth headset for a while, but it wasn't comfortable in my ear. Now, on the other end of the spectrum, I use the Turtle Beach Ear Force PX21. Much better than a Bluetooth, imo.

Cool I'll check those out. Thanks Jeff.

Kingpin32
07-19-2010, 11:03 PM
I wish Dell had a better selection of headsets. It seems like the good ones are out of my gift card price range, and the one good that was in the range was only for X360.

JBHuskers
07-21-2010, 01:41 PM
3 platinum trophies for $39.99??? I see Beatn & Violator drooling from here....

PlayStation The Sly Collection priced at $39.99! 3 games, 3D, Move support and 3 platinum trophies all at a great price! http://bit.ly/cq5A0H

I OU a Beatn
07-21-2010, 06:21 PM
I've known about that for quite awhile. I was going to buy it regardless of how many trophies it had simply because I never got around to playing them during the PS2 days. Definitely looking forward to it.

JeffHCross
07-21-2010, 06:51 PM
Same here. Probably going to pickup The Sly Collection, though it may be after a price reduction. I'm hoping beyond hope that they do a Ratchet Collection. Not for the trophies so much as the fact that I'd really like to get rid of as many PS2 games as possible, and the majority of the games I have left are Ratchet.

JBHuskers
07-21-2010, 09:55 PM
Never got into either Sly or Ratchet games in PS2, but will on PS3, like I did with GoW.

Kingpin32
07-21-2010, 10:13 PM
Never got into either Sly or Ratchet games in PS2, but will on PS3, like I did with GoW.

Same here. I'll probably rent this one first.

JeffHCross
07-22-2010, 02:28 AM
Never got into either Sly or Ratchet games in PS2, but will on PS3, like I did with GoW.I'll be the first to admit that I put Ratchet on a pedestal, but I think the Ratchet series is the best series on Playstation, bar none. And the newest game, Crack in Time, was amazing. Well worth it. Ended up selling it back to get store credit, but as soon as it becomes a "Greatest Hit", I will definitely be buying it again to keep long term. Great game.

cdj
07-26-2010, 07:20 PM
Firmware 3.41 coming soon (http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/07/26/next-ps3-firmware-update-adds-playstation-store-recommendations/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=ps3_firmware_072610).

Hi everyone, the next PlayStation 3 (PS3) system software update is coming soon. Firmware update 3.41 will add recommendations for games and videos on PlayStation Store. When you’re browsing through the details of a particular title, you’ll see a new “You May Like” section on the right-hand side. This section lists additional items based on the purchases of other PlayStation Network members who have purchased the item you’re currently looking at.

You can then click on this section to zoom in on the list and scroll the recommended titles.

This feature is a great way to discover new games that you may not know about, and it’s another step toward making the shopping experience easier and better for you all — similar to the five-star ratings feature we added in the last firmware update. Please note that while the 3.41 update will be released shortly, the recommendations feature on PlayStation Store is slated to go live by the end of July.

In addition to this PS3 update, the next PSP (PlayStation Portable) firmware update (v.6.31) will be coming as well. This is a minor update, and system software stability during use of some PSP format software titles has been improved.

As always, we look forward to your feedback.

Kingpin32
07-26-2010, 07:25 PM
I hope this isn't a large sized update. It seems to be a bit on the weak side, but sometimes these updates have hidden gems in them so here's hoping to that.

ram29jackson
07-26-2010, 08:41 PM
so,...what changed with that video or photo save update they did a few days ago ?

ram29jackson
07-26-2010, 11:59 PM
so,...what changed with that video or photo save update they did a few days ago ?

and as soon as I turn it on today, there was another one? what was it for ?

JeffHCross
07-27-2010, 12:01 AM
Another what? I haven't seen any system updates in quite a while ...

ram29jackson
07-27-2010, 12:57 AM
Another what? I haven't seen any system updates in quite a while ...

I just now had to do a PS3 update

cdj
07-27-2010, 09:10 AM
3.41 is out now.

JBHuskers
07-27-2010, 10:05 AM
3.41 is out now.

Hopefully it's already downloaded waiting for me to get home LOL

CLW
07-27-2010, 01:23 PM
Downloaded it last night. I'm not big on these updates as I rarely make any use of the new features. What's the "big" feature this time?

JBHuskers
07-27-2010, 01:32 PM
Downloaded it last night. I'm not big on these updates as I rarely make any use of the new features. What's the "big" feature this time?

It's just a small update change to the PSN Store. Going to have suggestions for you when you go into a certain item. I kinda like it since there is a lot of stuff in the store now, there could be things that you've forgot about and could be interested in buying.

JeffHCross
07-27-2010, 01:48 PM
I just now had to do a PS3 updateHm. Maybe it was because I didn't actually sign off or power off my console at any point last night.

cdj
07-27-2010, 02:56 PM
It was only 37 MB in size, so I don't think they hid much in it but I haven't fired up my PS3 since installing to see.

JeffHCross
07-27-2010, 11:26 PM
It was only 37 MB in size, so I don't think they hid much in it but I haven't fired up my PS3 since installing to see.For only 37 MB, it took freaking forever to install. Weird thing is that my PS Plus said that it downloaded it for me, but I swear it redownloaded it before Installing it. Or something similarly weird.

JBHuskers
07-28-2010, 12:11 AM
For only 37 MB, it took freaking forever to install. Weird thing is that my PS Plus said that it downloaded it for me, but I swear it redownloaded it before Installing it. Or something similarly weird.

Yeah it took a while for mine to install too.

HuskerBlitz
08-13-2010, 11:15 PM
Okay, here's the deal. My PS3 died (won't turn on, red light blinking). I've tried tinkering with it but to no avail. My question is, when I get another PS3, is there a way to recover my game saves from the old hard drive?

gschwendt
08-13-2010, 11:22 PM
Okay, here's the deal. My PS3 died (won't turn on, red light blinking). I've tried tinkering with it but to no avail. My question is, when I get another PS3, is there a way to recover my game saves from the old hard drive?
Not unless you can boot up your old PS3, no. Even if you remove the HDD, you'll have to format it as soon as you stick it in the new one.

HuskerBlitz
08-13-2010, 11:42 PM
Crap.

JBHuskers
08-14-2010, 05:43 PM
Crap.

Yep same thing happened to me a couple months ago.

I OU a Beatn
08-20-2010, 08:13 PM
Oh. My. God.

Last night I'm playing Red Dead and I fall asleep. I wake up not even 15 minutes and go to turn it off before I notice the game isn't showing on the PS3 XMB. I had the same issue with Madden 11 the other night, so tried ejecting and re-inserting. I try another game and guess what...nothing reads. THIRD time my PS3 has died from a broken blu-ray drive. The other 2 times were within a week after the warranty had expired. However, I remember buying my newest PS3 Slim in October so I should be good. Nope, turns out I bought it August 17 last year and now my PS3 has died...for the 3rd time...all within a week after the warranty expired, this time by 2 days.

I called Sony and once again, they wont honor it and want $125 to fix it. Unbelievable.

UGA14
08-21-2010, 08:11 AM
That's some crappy luck. I've had that experience with my Xbox but not my PS3 yet. I don't play either as much as you guys though.

CLW
08-21-2010, 02:38 PM
Wow that sucks. A buddy of mine had a similar situation and he just took it to some Ma and Pa place that fixed it for cheap. Of course it would void the warranty, but since you are no longer under warranty it shouldnt make any difference.

I OU a Beatn
08-21-2010, 08:18 PM
I sold the broken PS3 to Gamestop. For the 3rd time they gave me full price because they didn't check the disc. :D

I got a slim 250GB 360 and that's that. I'll buy another one around November when the big hitting PS3 exclusives start rolling out, but I'm way too pissed off at Sony in the time being to even think of having a Sony product in my house.

cdj
08-21-2010, 09:57 PM
That's pretty insane, IOU. Did you tell them this was the third time? You'd think they'd have that all on file and could see all the troubles you've had and make an exception to help you out. Pretty ridiculous.

I switched to my new slim and I've only played NCAA, but on some pass plays the game has a slight hiccup (freeze) and then the play resumes. It almost feels like an online game when it does it. I'm hoping it's not the Blu-Ray drive crapping out starting on day one. :smh:

I OU a Beatn
08-21-2010, 10:06 PM
That's pretty insane, IOU. Did you tell them this was the third time? You'd think they'd have that all on file and could see all the troubles you've had and make an exception to help you out. Pretty ridiculous.

I switched to my new slim and I've only played NCAA, but on some pass plays the game has a slight hiccup (freeze) and then the play resumes. It almost feels like an online game when it does it. I'm hoping it's not the Blu-Ray drive crapping out starting on day one. :smh:

I told them that it was the 3rd time it had happened less than a week after the warranty had expired and that it was the 3rd time they wouldn't cut me a break for being a loyal customer and repair it for free. He said he saw notes on my account from the previous 2 times and that he was sorry for my "inconvenience" but there was nothing he could do. I was basically told that if your PS3 breaks anytime after the one year you purchased it, you're screwed. I then of course told them that I had had several 360's and with all their documented trouble have yet to have one fail on me, which I've had 3 of the supposedly invincible PS3s break. He then gave me some tone and told me to stick with 360 then. :D

I just hung up. There's nothing more annoying than having something break just barely out of warranty for the 3rd time and knowing they wont replace it, only to have some punk who hates his job running his mouth just because he's too lazy to proactively look for a solution that would actually solve my problem.

I don't want to scare you, but that's exactly what happened for a few weeks right before all mine died. It starts skipping occasionally, and then it clears itself up completely only to stop reading them completely a few weeks later. Sony doesn't let this get out, but their blu-ray drives fail quite a bit. I've had 3 go out and 4 or 5 of my personal friends have had theirs die as well.

I'll no doubt get another PS3 around October or November, but for now I'm boycotting them if for nothing else than to just convince myself that they actually care. :D

cdj
08-21-2010, 10:19 PM
That is pretty poor customer service. Hide behind the 'guidelines', ignoring common sense to rectify a bad situation for a loyal customer.

I don't want to scare you, but that's exactly what happened for a few weeks right before all mine died. It starts skipping occasionally, and then it clears itself up completely only to stop reading them completely a few weeks later. Sony doesn't let this get out, but their blu-ray drives fail quite a bit. I've had 3 go out and 4 or 5 of my personal friends have had theirs die as well.

I'll no doubt get another PS3 around October or November, but for now I'm boycotting them if for nothing else than to just convince myself that they actually care. :D

What is the warranty policy now? Free repair for owning less than a year? I'd rather not pay for their protection plan. I figured that's what the issue was with this one, but fortunately I kept my old fat PS3 for the time being - it had it's Blu-Ray drive go out and replaced in the fall of 07. For some reason, I had a feeling I should hold on to the old one just in case on this new one. I will have to start playing games and discs hardcore to get the drive to go out sooner than later so I can get it fixed. :(

I OU a Beatn
08-21-2010, 10:24 PM
If it's under a year, they repair whatever is wrong with it for free. If it's past a year, they charge you $125 now I believe to get it fixed. They don't even fix yours, they send you a refurbished one. I had one of the original 20GBs die on me and they sent me a freakin' 40GB.

JeffHCross
08-22-2010, 12:03 AM
$45 to extend your 1-year warranty for an additional 12 months. $60 for 24.

cdj
08-24-2010, 05:06 PM
Doing some research on the PlayStation Forums and Google, it sounds like my issue may be HD related. Some people who upgraded their hard drives seem to see this same issue. I'm tempted to switch from this new Western Digital HD to a Seagate and see if that helps. I can probably still get a nice price online for the original HD and also the WD should the Seagate fix it.

JeffHCross
08-24-2010, 07:57 PM
$45 to extend your 1-year warranty for an additional 12 months. $60 for 24.Playstation Plus users can get the 2 year plan for $45 ... looks like that went live on PS+ this week.

cdj
08-25-2010, 10:22 PM
Out of curiosity's sake, I did a Google search and found people on the PlayStation Forums with the same issue, the system (slim) doing a slight hiccup a second after the ball was snapped on pass plays. I thought it was too uniform to be a Blu-Ray drive issue and sue enough, others have the same issue. A weird culprit - certain upgraded hard drives seem to be causing it and coincidentally enough, it sounds like the problem exists primarily when playing NCAA Football & Madden.

I swapped out my 500 GB Western Digital HD and put the factory 120 GB Hitachi HD and sure enough I didn't run into the issue when playing a game tonight. Good news in that it seems like the Blu-Ray drive, but now I have a 500 GB HD to unload and want to find a HD I can upgrade to that won't have the same issue.

JBHuskers
08-25-2010, 11:08 PM
Out of curiosity's sake, I did a Google search and found people on the PlayStation Forums with the same issue, the system (slim) doing a slight hiccup a second after the ball was snapped on pass plays. I thought it was too uniform to be a Blu-Ray drive issue and sue enough, others have the same issue. A weird culprit - certain upgraded hard drives seem to be causing it and coincidentally enough, it sounds like the problem exists primarily when playing NCAA Football & Madden.

I swapped out my 500 GB Western Digital HD and put the factory 120 GB Hitachi HD and sure enough I didn't run into the issue when playing a game tonight. Good news in that it seems like the Blu-Ray drive, but now I have a 500 GB HD to unload and want to find a HD I can upgrade to that won't have the same issue.

I do believe the maker of the PS3 HD that comes with the system is Hitatchi.

cdj
08-25-2010, 11:21 PM
I do believe the maker of the PS3 HD that comes with the system is Hitatchi.

The weird part is that the WD 500 GB HD doesn't seem to have any issues, at least not that I can find.

This thread at the PS Forums has some great info on HD upgrades in regards to the system (http://boardsus.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-3-Media/How-To-Guide-to-Upgrading-Your-Hard-Drive-Updated-8-26/m-p/28102378/message-uid/28102378#U28102378). I think I'm going to upgrade to a bigger Hitachi and see what happens once I unload the WD.

skipwondah33
08-26-2010, 08:00 AM
Playstation Plus users can get the 2 year plan for $45 ... looks like that went live on PS+ this week.

This would only be available to new PS3's right?

JBHuskers
08-26-2010, 10:11 AM
This would only be available to new PS3's right?

I would assume it's 2 years from the date of purchase....I don't think you have to have a new PS3....it's additional service that you're paying for. I don't think it would have to be a new PS3. But I could be wrong.

skipwondah33
08-26-2010, 10:32 AM
Yeah I was wondering, I believe mine is 3-4 years old, not to sure.

JBHuskers
08-26-2010, 10:51 AM
Details should be within the store posting.

JeffHCross
08-26-2010, 11:06 PM
This would only be available to new PS3's right?It's only available to PS3s that are still within the standard warranty. So, purchased within the last year.

skipwondah33
08-27-2010, 07:51 AM
It's only available to PS3s that are still within the standard warranty. So, purchased within the last year.

thats what I figured haha

morsdraconis
08-28-2010, 01:55 AM
So has anyone heard about the PS3 crack that basically softmods the PS3 with a usb thumbdrive? Was wondering how long it would take for someone to do something like that.

UGA14
08-28-2010, 07:51 AM
Yeah, it's already in court in Austrailia as well.

JeffHCross
08-28-2010, 12:49 PM
Yeah, it's already in court in Austrailia as well.And Sony's already won an injunction to stop sales ... except to Sony.

Article about the court order: http://www.joystiq.com/2010/08/27/australian-court-halts-psjailbreak-sales-to-anyone-but-sony/

Article about the original item: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-11035928

skipwondah33
09-01-2010, 08:14 AM
I'm having a weird issue right now. Probably doesn't have anything to do with my PS3 but for the last 2 weeks I noticed that when I play Madden online I'm getting either a red or orange bar (bad or medium connection). Now I have power cycled my router and modem numerous times, even tried direct connecting. Same issue but now I'm only getting a red bar everytime. Swapped cables to no avail. Tried NCAA and still have a red bar. I also play Tiger but it doesn't seem to effect that

I called up my ISP and of course they say my signal looks good on their end and that I'm not having any issues that they can see but I'm still only gettin one bar for my connection.

Anyone else experience this in either game? Or know a solution? I'm seriously thinking about switching ISP's because of this and more importantly because for the speed I get I'm getting ripped off.

JBHuskers
09-01-2010, 08:42 AM
I'm not 100% sure how much you can trust those bars. IIRC, when I'd play CDJ on a certain game, maybe NCAA Basketball, one of us would always be red, one would be green....but our connection was perfectly fine.

skipwondah33
09-01-2010, 08:45 AM
Yeah thats what I thought. I did have lag in a game I played lastnight and got disco'd in another the night before but generally don't have problems. Of course thats also when I was seeing that I was getting a green connection.

I mean I have checked just about every setting I could but if anything when I direct connected it shouldn't have given me the same problem.

JBHuskers
09-01-2010, 10:06 AM
Yeah thats what I thought. I did have lag in a game I played lastnight and got disco'd in another the night before but generally don't have problems. Of course thats also when I was seeing that I was getting a green connection.

I mean I have checked just about every setting I could but if anything when I direct connected it shouldn't have given me the same problem.

disco'd?

http://blog.oregonlive.com/health_impact/2008/10/large_disco.jpg

I OU a Beatn
09-03-2010, 12:47 AM
Bought a 160GB Slim earlier today. Damn Sony for making me so used to their controller and releasing something I've been highly anticipating like a month(Move) after I declare a ban of Sony products for a few months. Maybe next time. :D

skipwondah33
09-03-2010, 08:14 AM
My connection was fixed. It ended up being on their end after they repeatily told me that everything looked fine.

I OU a Beatn
09-03-2010, 08:32 AM
So I go to re-download all the games and stuff I've purchased, and I get greeted with a message saying that I have already activated my account on 5 PS3s and that I could not activate anymore. I suppose I have. I've had 3 break, one is on my brother's PS3 in Korea, and the other one was traded in at Gamestop about 3 years ago. I sent Sony an email last night and was basically told that I was shit out of luck. Can not wait for 90 minutes to go by so I can give them a call and do a little venting.

CLW
09-03-2010, 09:03 AM
So I go to re-download all the games and stuff I've purchased, and I get greeted with a message saying that I have already activated my account on 5 PS3s and that I could not activate anymore. I suppose I have. I've had 3 break, one is on my brother's PS3 in Korea, and the other one was traded in at Gamestop about 3 years ago. I sent Sony an email last night and was basically told that I was shit out of luck. Can not wait for 90 minutes to go by so I can give them a call and do a little venting.

Wow that's an odd restriction.

I OU a Beatn
09-03-2010, 09:08 AM
I'm sure it's for the people who gameshare, but for someone who has never done so in his life, they should give a little leniency...ESPECIALLY since they have refused to repair a broken PS3 less than a week out of warranty 3 times. I've actually asked about it before and they said they can't do it remotely, so I'm basically just calling to let off a little steam about how much bullshit that is. I could understand if it was some one who only used the PS3 a few times a week and gameshared. However, for someone who has purchased 50+ PSN titles, 50+ DLC packages, 50+ retail games, a current day 1 subscriber of PSN+, and someone who has dealt with the bullshit of them not giving leeway with the warranty and simply going out and buying a new PS3, I think I should be given just a little bit of leeway. Wee lil bit.

gschwendt
09-03-2010, 09:11 AM
My understanding is that on your old consoles, you could set it to inactive which would then allow you to add a new console to that lineup. So... for anyone that's trading in a console or getting rid of it in another manner, so long as you can boot it up, you should be able to deactivate it.

I OU a Beatn
09-03-2010, 09:31 AM
Yeah, you can, but I didn't know about that until last night when I got the message. I don't have access to any of my broken PS3s so my only shot is if Sony can do it remotely. Even though they told me before they couldn't, I know of several people who kept at them until they finally did do it, so they definitely have the means to do so. It's just a matter of getting on their nerves enough to get them to do it. Of course, I bugged them for hours about not repairing my PS3, so who knows? :D

CLW
09-07-2010, 06:11 AM
Woke up this morning to the update.

Did a quick google search and not really sure what this is for other than the suspicion that it takes care of that drive issue Sony went to court over.

cdj
09-07-2010, 07:26 AM
Doesn't seem like it did anything extremely noticeable:

Hi everyone! A minor update to your PS3 system is now available via system software update v3.42 that includes additional security features. For more details and instructions on how to update the system software for the PS3 system, please visit the PS3 System Updates page (http://blog.us.playstation.com/).

blog.us.playstation.com usually has info up on updates before they are released.

gschwendt
09-07-2010, 09:43 AM
Speculation is that it's just there to combat the Jailbreak code that was released last week.

steelerfan
09-07-2010, 05:59 PM
My internet browser is much more crisp since the update. Anyone else notice this (or even use it, lol)?

JBHuskers
09-07-2010, 07:13 PM
My internet browser is much more crisp since the update. Anyone else notice this (or even use it, lol)?

The only time I used it was to download Unreal Tournament 3 mods :D

JeffHCross
09-07-2010, 09:12 PM
I use it occasionally but haven't tried it since the update. Not even the freaking Google homepage was able to render on it properly a week ago.

steelerfan
09-07-2010, 09:18 PM
I use it occasionally but haven't tried it since the update. Not even the freaking Google homepage was able to render on it properly a week ago.

That's weird. Works great for me, I do 90% of my web surfing on it, including TGT. Obviously, some pages don't work, EA's for example.

While I'm thinking of it, I saved my ps3 from the YLOD on Sunday.

Woke up to a YLOD and had it fixed by late Sunday night. I used the reflow tutorials and it was really easy. I would recommend trying it to anyone who is out of warranty who gets the YLOD. If for no other reason than to salvage your data. But, so far, so good for me.

I OU a Beatn
09-08-2010, 01:48 PM
...and Sony has redeemed themselves tenfold with me. I called in earlier today to see if they had any success getting one of my old PS3s deactivated, and they did. I let the supervisor know of the situation I was in, and he deeply apologized for it. He somehow managed to shorten my lock out to 7 days, which will expire on Friday morning I believe. I was then talking about how I had unluckily had 3 PS3s break out of warranty by less than a week each time, and how I couldn't seem to catch a break. He then looked at my account and saw that I had spent a shit ton of money on Arcade games, PS+, and multiple PS3s and that I had been with them since the PS1 days, which I have. He apologized for my inconvenience again and asked if $200 worth of Playstation store credit would make me feel better about it. :D

Of course I took it, so hopefully this thing starts working on Friday.

JBHuskers
09-08-2010, 02:15 PM
Damn that's awesome!

I think that's how I got my system deactivated, they looked at the money I spent :D

I told them that I've had a system stolen and this one YLOD'd on me, and they said they'd make a "one time exception"

I OU a Beatn
09-08-2010, 02:50 PM
That's what they did for me as well. For someone who has spent close to $5,000 on their products, they better had make a one time exception. :D

CLW
09-08-2010, 02:57 PM
That's what they did for me as well. For someone who has spent close to $5,000 on their products, they better had make a one time exception. :D

Any time your dealing with a mega huge corporation its ALWAYS about getting to talk to the right person. Hell most of them are set up so that it takes an eternity to get to anyone with any real decision making power.

I OU a Beatn
09-08-2010, 03:12 PM
Yeah, the last 3 times I called in I specifically asked to speak with a supervisor the second I was connected with someone. Then as soon as they would connect me to their "supervisor," I'd ask to speak to THEIR supervisor. They seem to be the ones who are willing to get shit done. There's no point in bothering with the first 2 levels of support because they very simply can not do jack for ya.

morsdraconis
09-08-2010, 03:57 PM
Yeah, the last 3 times I called in I specifically asked to speak with a supervisor the second I was connected with someone. Then as soon as they would connect me to their "supervisor," I'd ask to speak to THEIR supervisor. They seem to be the ones who are willing to get shit done. There's no point in bothering with the first 2 levels of support because they very simply can not do jack for ya.

And that's why people in customer service hate their job and hate people that call in.

CLW
09-08-2010, 05:25 PM
And that's why people in customer service hate their job and hate people that call in.

Pretty good read actually.

http://www.amazon.com/Your-Call-Not-That-Important/dp/1416546898

morsdraconis
09-08-2010, 07:56 PM
Pretty good read actually.

http://www.amazon.com/Your-Call-Not-That-Important/dp/1416546898

Believe me, I know all about it. I've lived it for the last 7 years and I fuckin' hated the job with all my being because that's not the type of person that I am. Listening to people bitch about money is the WORST.

I OU a Beatn
09-09-2010, 03:20 PM
Bahaha, IOU is back up and running. I supposedly had to wait until Tuesday to get my account unlocked and working, but there's apparently a really sweet ass work around if anyone ever gets 80029780. Simply change your email address, log in, activate, and then change your email address back to what it was. Account unlocked instantly!

JBHuskers
09-09-2010, 03:35 PM
Bahaha, IOU is back up and running. I supposedly had to wait until Tuesday to get my account unlocked and working, but there's apparently a really sweet ass work around if anyone ever gets 80029780. Simply change your email address, log in, activate, and then change your email address back to what it was. Account unlocked instantly!

Did you get your $200 before trying that? :D

I OU a Beatn
09-09-2010, 03:48 PM
Yep, it's in there. That's the first thing I checked after finally getting it activated. :D

Kingpin32
09-10-2010, 12:26 AM
How did they know that you've been with them since the PS1 days? Is that still in their databases, because I used to be apart of that team Underground thing they had.

I OU a Beatn
09-10-2010, 12:42 AM
I was apart of the Underground and I've used the exact same email address for everything since I was about 7 years old. If you use the same email as you did back then, that's how they keep track of all your information. Luckily enough I've used the same one all these years because that's what eventually got my account deactivated on one of my old consoles as well as the credit for my troubles.

Kingpin32
09-10-2010, 01:18 AM
I was apart of the Underground and I've used the exact same email address for everything since I was about 7 years old. If you use the same email as you did back then, that's how they keep track of all your information. Luckily enough I've used the same one all these years because that's what eventually got my account deactivated on one of my old consoles as well as the credit for my troubles.

Oh yeah well I'm definitely not using the same address as I did back then. Dah oh well..

JeffHCross
09-11-2010, 08:23 AM
Interesting. I've been a Sony customer since the PS1 days, but I was never part of the Underground. So they don't know it, :D

JBHuskers
09-16-2010, 03:10 PM
Firmware 3.50 coming on Tuesday....

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/09/16/ps3-firmware-update-3-50-coming-september-21-adds-3d-blu-ray-su/

Sony has announced the next update for the PS3. Coming two weeks after the release of system update 3.42 will be firmware update 3.50, the long-awaited update that adds 3D Blu-ray movie support to the console. (The PS3 is already compatible with 3D games.) While the date was announced for Japanese press at the Sony TGS press conference, it's likely that this will be made available worldwide simultaneously.

CLW
09-18-2010, 08:39 AM
Firmware 3.50 coming on Tuesday....

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/09/16/ps3-firmware-update-3-50-coming-september-21-adds-3d-blu-ray-su/

Sony has announced the next update for the PS3. Coming two weeks after the release of system update 3.42 will be firmware update 3.50, the long-awaited update that adds 3D Blu-ray movie support to the console. (The PS3 is already compatible with 3D games.) While the date was announced for Japanese press at the Sony TGS press conference, it's likely that this will be made available worldwide simultaneously.

It really amazes me how much they can add to the PS3 with these updates. I NEVER would have imagined that PS3 could go from a DVD/Blue Ray player at first to also being a 3D player now.

JeffHCross
09-18-2010, 01:10 PM
I have to admit I'm surprised too. I know I've bought a lot of hardware over the year that has updated firmware, but most players never add this level of sophistication. It's probably because they "know" they can sell new players with the new features. Sony's smart enough to realize that it's better for them to add these features to the PS3 now, rather than wait.

jaymo76
09-19-2010, 02:07 AM
Maybe it's just me... BUT... I want the 3D phenomena to go away. Seriously, I don't want to wear glasses and play a video game or watch TV. I know, I'm old school...

JeffHCross
09-19-2010, 08:27 AM
You're not the only one.

Some of us can't take advantage of 3D even if we wanted to ...

CLW
09-21-2010, 01:40 PM
Anyone having problems signing in to PSN? I installed the update this morning and now this afternoon I get either a wrong e-mail/password error message when I try to sign in but my password/sign in is set to auto sign in and I haven't changed my e-mail/password.

gschwendt
09-21-2010, 02:19 PM
Anyone having problems signing in to PSN? I installed the update this morning and now this afternoon I get either a wrong e-mail/password error message when I try to sign in but my password/sign in is set to auto sign in and I haven't changed my e-mail/password.
PSN is down until 5pm Pacific.

CLW
09-21-2010, 02:37 PM
PSN is down until 5pm Pacific.

Ah! Damn wonder if I lost my saved password? LOL might be a bitch to figure it back out since I haven't had to remember it since I got the PS3.

cdj
09-26-2010, 11:48 AM
Borderlands and MAG join the Greatest Hits line-up. ($30)

JeffHCross
09-26-2010, 12:10 PM
Arrrrrrrrrrrgh ... I want Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time to be Greatest Hits!

cdj
10-14-2010, 07:23 AM
From Joystiq (http://www.joystiq.com/2010/10/14/free-midnight-movies-on-psn-every-saturday-night/):

Starting this Saturday, the PlayStation Store will update with one free movie rental as part of its "Midnight Movies" promotion. But, there's a catch! You'll need to sign on to the PSN between 8PM and 6AM EST. This weekend's movie will be Bram Stroker's Dracula.

gschwendt
10-14-2010, 09:37 AM
Netflix on PS3: Disc-free Next Week (http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/10/14/netflixps3/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=netflix_101410)

JeffHCross
10-26-2010, 09:21 PM
Playstation Phone.

Finally.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/26/the-playstation-phone/

cdj
11-04-2010, 10:27 AM
Hulu Plus Soon Available to All PS3 Users (http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/11/04/hulu-plus-soon-available-to-all-ps3-users/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=hulu_plus_110410)

As you may have already seen, today Sony announced the availability of the Hulu Plus service on 2010 BRAVIA HDTVs and BRAVIA Internet Video Link via the BRAVIA Internet Video platform and will soon be available on Blu-ray Disc players, Blu-ray Home Theater Systems, Network Media Player and DASH. But, perhaps the most exciting news for all of you PlayStation fans is the upcoming availability of Hulu Plus to all PlayStation 3 users in the United States who enjoy free access to PlayStation Network and its variety of online content.

Beginning next week, Hulu Plus will lift the invitation-only availability of its service, which was previously exclusive to select PlayStation Plus subscribers, and open it up to all PlayStation Network members, making the PlayStation 3 the first and only console dedicated to gaming to offer the service.

The Hulu Plus subscription service offers full current season runs of hit TV programs from major broadcast programming studios and will add to the more than 27,800 movies and TV episodes already available on the PlayStation Store, providing the most exhaustive catalogue of entertainment content to PlayStation Network members.
We’ll have more to share next week, so make sure to check back in for details on where you can find Hulu Plus on the PlayStation Network.

JBHuskers
11-04-2010, 10:30 AM
Looks like Move > Kinect.

Problems being reported with people calibrating the Kinect. Joystiq illustrates it kinda well:

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.joystiq.com/media/2010/11/room.for.kinect.110410-580px.png

JeffHCross
11-04-2010, 11:16 PM
Hahahaha. I couldn't get the Move, because of it's suggested space of 6-8 ft between the EyeToy and the Move controller. I certainly couldn't get something that couldn't handle furniture in the area. My apt has stuff all over the place.

Here's a Joystiq article on what JB's talking about: http://www.joystiq.com/2010/11/04/kinect-vs-our-living-rooms-a-survey/

morsdraconis
12-03-2010, 11:49 AM
Wow, MAG is really not that great of a FPS... I gotta say I'm severely unimpressed with it...

I OU a Beatn
12-03-2010, 11:48 PM
I love it. I poured over 300 hours into it and I still play it on a fairly routine basis. It's definitely a love or hate game.

steelerfan
12-05-2010, 11:36 AM
My ps3 ylod'd for the second time yesterday. The first was 3 months ago. I got it running again, but I don't want to push it. Very soon, I'm going to buy a new slim (I have a 60 GB launch model), transfer the data, and trade this baby in.

JeffHCross
12-05-2010, 02:54 PM
That's exactly what I did. I'm keeping my fat PS3 around in case I want to use the BC (at this point I probably won't ever use it again), but I got it fixed so I could transfer the data. Plus, I knew a "fixed" PS3 would never hold up against NCAA 11 :D

steelerfan
12-05-2010, 04:04 PM
That's exactly what I did. I'm keeping my fat PS3 around in case I want to use the BC (at this point I probably won't ever use it again), but I got it fixed so I could transfer the data. Plus, I knew a "fixed" PS3 would never hold up against NCAA 11 :D

Yeah, the 60 GB fatty still fetches around 150 from GameStop, so I think I'll just dump it after moving my data.

JBHuskers
12-06-2010, 11:02 PM
PSN Firmware 3.55 out now....

JeffHCross
12-06-2010, 11:08 PM
PSN Firmware 3.55 out now....Been out for a couple hours ;)

And the rumor is that all it does is break the methods for Jailbreaking the PS3.

steelerfan
12-07-2010, 08:22 AM
the rumor is that all it does is break the methods for Jailbreaking the PS3.

I was wondering what it did. I was gonna comment that, once again, the fonts look different and "crisper" on TGT on the ps3 web browser after the update.

CLW
12-07-2010, 12:10 PM
Been out for a couple hours ;)

And the rumor is that all it does is break the methods for Jailbreaking the PS3.

Lol until the hackers figure another way around the update which will prob take a week or so

morsdraconis
12-07-2010, 03:07 PM
Lol until the hackers figure another way around the update which will prob take a week or so

And they're already working on how to.

xMrHitStickx904
12-07-2010, 03:42 PM
I cannot believe jailbreaking the PS3 is that easy. Who knew.

JBHuskers
12-08-2010, 02:29 PM
I made a rare trip into the video section of the Playstation Store, and for those who love The Walking Dead, each episode is $3 each....$18 for the whole season in HD...not too shabby if you don't want to wait til March for the Bluray.

JeffHCross
12-10-2010, 10:36 PM
I cannot believe jailbreaking the PS3 is that easy. Who knew.Well, once you figure out a way around it, it's not going to be very hard to figure out how to modify the hack. Or, it's at least going to be significantly less hard.

It's metaphorically closer to figuring out how to pick a lock and someone changing the combination ... and not figuring out how to pick a lock and someone buying a home security system.

steelerfan
01-26-2011, 10:22 PM
Anyone know what tonight's Firmware update does? (3.65, I believe)

gschwendt
01-26-2011, 10:53 PM
Anyone know what tonight's Firmware update does? (3.65, I believe)
Just security fixes.
http://kotaku.com/5744389/sony-starts-rolling-out-the-ps3-security-updates (ignore the comment about serial numbers... no way Sony does that).

I OU a Beatn
01-26-2011, 11:16 PM
That security patch which basically disabled homebrew, was hacked again within an hour of it being released. Wow. Something tells me there's nothing Sony can do to prevent it now.

On an unrelated note, my PS3 has been making this weird noise coming from the disc drive. It'll actually freeze the game for a second or two, make a loud drive noise like it's having trouble reading, and then work fine for a few minutes. Weird thing is that it does it even when playing a downloaded game, so it makes me believe it may be a hard drive issue, but it sounds an awful lot like a disc reading noise. I swear to God, if this thing stops reading discs, I'm going to calmly send it to Sony(this one is actually under warranty for like 9 more months), get it back, sell it on eBay, and never buy another Sony product again.

Meanwhile, my launch 360 still works. :D

Not that I use it, but it does work if I needed it!

steelerfan
01-26-2011, 11:17 PM
Just security fixes.
http://kotaku.com/5744389/sony-starts-rolling-out-the-ps3-security-updates (ignore the comment about serial numbers... no way Sony does that).

Thank you, buddy.

CLW
01-27-2011, 06:07 AM
LOL Sony just needs to give it up. IF Hackers want to do something its only a matter of time before they get through each and every security update you throw at them.

morsdraconis
01-27-2011, 06:22 AM
A product/software's security is only as good as the hackers they have employed.

Sounds like Sony needs to do some more hiring.

CLW
01-27-2011, 06:30 AM
A product/software's security is only as good as the hackers they have employed.

Sounds like Sony needs to do some more hiring.

Yeah there is that route. However, with a hacking community as large as the PS3 one likley is it almost becomes cost prohibitive for the company to hire enough hackers to outman/smart the hackers.

JeffHCross
01-29-2011, 07:54 PM
Not to mention that with the hole the hackers are supposedly exploiting -- it's not something that can be fixed short of releasing new hardware ... again.

UGA14
01-30-2011, 10:33 AM
As a Systems Engineer you don't just give up on protecting your product. We're always 3 steps behind the people we're facing. And we're doing it against kids with nothing but time on their hands. Like my co-worker said, when we're closing our computers to go home, they're just opening them up to see what they can do.

Our stuff was getting circumvented regularly. Of course we have the upper hand again now. But I believe it will be a short amount of time until we're fighting the same battle again.

JeffHCross
01-30-2011, 11:20 AM
Yep, that's exactly how it is for us too, UGA.

steelerfan
02-03-2011, 05:45 AM
I've thought about getting some Surround Sound headphones w/mic for my PS3. I'd want wireless. The only ones I saw on Game Stop's site (checked there because I have 135 store credit) are either wired or rated badly (4.3/10). Anyone have any suggestions/recommendations?

I OU a Beatn
02-03-2011, 08:04 AM
I've tried Trittons and I've tried Turtle Breachs, and I think they both suck. I've tried so many different headsets and none of them sound nearly as good as I'd want them too, so I'm sucking it up and just getting the Astro A40s. They get sparkling 10/10 reviews by just about everyone, and even though they're going to total $249, they're the best you can get and they're made to last.

steelerfan
02-03-2011, 08:36 AM
I've tried Trittons and I've tried Turtle Breachs, and I think they both suck. I've tried so many different headsets and none of them sound nearly as good as I'd want them too, so I'm sucking it up and just getting the Astro A40s. They get sparkling 10/10 reviews by just about everyone, and even though they're going to total $249, they're the best you can get and they're made to last.

These look great, but again, they're not wireless. :( (unless I'm missing something)

Dunno if add-ons are needed and I didn't check shipping, but these are $200.

http://www.astrogaming.com/products/detail/4/A40-Headset/

I OU a Beatn
02-03-2011, 08:41 AM
You have to buy the mixamp to get surround sound, so that's why I said it would be $249.

If you absolutely need wireless(which from my experience, you'd be much better of sound quality wise with wired), then Turtle Beach is coming out with a new wireless "surround sound" headset designed specifically for PS3 for $249 which you can look at here. (http://www.turtlebeach.com/products/ps3-gaming-headsets/ear-force-px5.aspx) The reason why I have surround sound in quotations is because it's not true surround sound, and even though they say you can't tell the difference, I severely beg to differ. Cranking up the bass to an extreme does not = surround sound, which is all TB does with their headsets. Tritton, too.

But they make be the best bang for your buck if you want wireless and are coming out sometime in March.

I OU a Beatn
02-03-2011, 08:44 AM
Also, Turtle Beach still has their X41 which is wireless for $199, but that doesn't include the ability to use the mic for voice chat on PS3. The A40 and and the one I was talking about in my previous post do.

steelerfan
02-03-2011, 09:04 AM
Is this worth a damn? If I gotta go wired, at least the price is nice and I can use my 135 credit.

http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=89630

I OU a Beatn
02-03-2011, 09:45 AM
It depends. It's the same exact thing as the PX21 model, which I believe is only about $80. Why that is so much more is because it comes with an audio processor that gives you the "surround sound experience." As I said, it's not true surround sound, but only simulated, and I can definitely tell the difference. I did have the PX21 for a period of time. The quality was okay. The sound itself wasn't really rich, but just really loud. There's also a really annoying constant background hiss. You can't notice it when there's enough going on in the game, but if you're just on the XMB, you always hear it.

You can chat on PSN with that thing, though, so it truly depends. If you want a rich, true surround sound experience, I'd go with the Astro A40. If that doesn't matter to you and you just want a headset that will allow you to hear footsteps and everything like that, then yeah, that will work. The dealbreaker for me with the PX21 is that it wasn't true surround sound and like I said, that god awful hiss bugged the shit out of me. I played it while playing Uncharted 2 where there are some quiet moments, and the hiss totally ruined it.

I OU a Beatn
02-03-2011, 09:49 AM
Actually, come to think of it, if you're willing to go wired and you want to go through Gamestop, this (http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=84306) may be a good bet for you. It's about the same price as the PX21, but it's actual true surround sound. AKA, it has 8 speakers(4 in each ear piece). It also gives you the ability to chat on PSN, and comes with the audio processor, so it's technically better than the PX21 in just about every way. I haven't tried it, although the reviews I've read so far are definitely favorable, so that may be something you want to check out.

steelerfan
02-03-2011, 10:38 AM
Thanks for all the info.

At this point, I'm not sure what I'll do (if anything). I wish GS sold that Astro A40 or, at least, a decent wireless model. There is something that keeps telling me I'll be miserable with a wire. I do need a new headset (can't get my old one to pair with my new ps3 for some reason), but a set like this wouldn't be something I'd normally buy. It'd be a splurge based on having all that credit. If I can't get great sound, it's not worth it.

CLW
02-03-2011, 12:11 PM
I was thinking of getting a headset myself. It doesn't matter to me wired v. wireless but the Astro site is confusing as hell to me and I'm not sure what option(s) I need. I'd only be using it on my PS3 so the Sharkoon is looking pretty good to me but perhaps I'm missing something about the Astro?

I OU a Beatn
02-03-2011, 12:17 PM
The Astro A40 is the best you can buy. It's 100% true surround sound, and they've been given perfect scores on every review I've read because of how easy it is to hook up, the sound quality, and all the features. If you just want the headset, you could get the A40 for $199, but it wouldn't be true surround sound. If you want true surround sound, then you want the A40 Audio system, that turns your headset into full surround sound as it comes with the audio mixamp. If you're looking for that, on their site go to Product > Audio Systems > A40 > Astro. Should be $249 and is the one I opted to go with. It should be here within the next few days so I'll post a review for you guys if you're interested.

CLW
02-03-2011, 12:43 PM
The Astro A40 is the best you can buy. It's 100% true surround sound, and they've been given perfect scores on every review I've read because of how easy it is to hook up, the sound quality, and all the features. If you just want the headset, you could get the A40 for $199, but it wouldn't be true surround sound. If you want true surround sound, then you want the A40 Audio system, that turns your headset into full surround sound as it comes with the audio mixamp. If you're looking for that, on their site go to Product > Audio Systems > A40 > Astro. Should be $249 and is the one I opted to go with. It should be here within the next few days so I'll post a review for you guys if you're interested.

So if I go with the Audio system I don't have to buy the headset and "amp" (or whatever they call it) sepearately?

I OU a Beatn
02-03-2011, 12:52 PM
Right, separately they would be about $300, so if you're planning on both, you can save yourself $50 just by buying the bundle, which is definitely the better deal, IMO. With the mixamp it gives you surround sound, you can play multiple sources at once, it gives you the ability to use chat on PSN, etc...

CLW
02-03-2011, 01:05 PM
Right, separately they would be about $300, so if you're planning on both, you can save yourself $50 just by buying the bundle, which is definitely the better deal, IMO. With the mixamp it gives you surround sound, you can play multiple sources at once, it gives you the ability to use chat on PSN, etc...

Gotcha. I'm sort of in a similar situation as steeler though only this time its Amazon I have a ton of credit I need to burn and of course the a40 system is more expensive on amazon than directly through their site. i'm also not sure that i'd personally consider it worth the extra $100 to get the a40 system over the sharkoon. Maybe my wife (who has been complaining about my ps3 noise lately) will get it for my upcoming birthday.

JeffHCross
02-04-2011, 09:18 PM
I didn't think anybody had figured out surround sound + wireless yet, because of the sheer amount of data and power you need. Those were the crucial limits, at least a couple years ago.

I OU a Beatn
02-11-2011, 11:39 AM
The A40 arrived today. It has a ton of wires, but the sound quality is unparalleled. It's an eargasm for sure.

steelerfan
02-12-2011, 01:10 PM
The A40 arrived today. It has a ton of wires, but the sound quality is unparalleled. It's an eargasm for sure.

Awesome! What do you mean "a ton of wires"? How long are they?

I OU a Beatn
02-12-2011, 02:09 PM
That's my main complaint, they're long as hell. The USB cable that you run from the mixamp to the PS3/360 is a good 20-30 feet long. The RCA cables that run to your TV(which I will be replacing with an optical cable when it gets here - more on that in a second) is another 20 feet probably. It's nice for people that have big setups, but all my stuff is where where any 6 foot cable would work, so it just makes things messy. The actual cable going from the headset to the mixamp is probably about 6-8 feet long, so that's perfect for my setup. But like I said, I'm willing to deal with wires for a headset that sounds that good. I don't even have the surround sound enabled because I'm using the wrong cables and it still sounds utterly amazing.

Anyway, found out it doesn't come with an optical cable so I need to buy one. I go to walmart and it's $20. That seemed just a tad high to me, so I went to Best Buy. Guy tried to sell me a $100 "gold plated top of the line" optical cable and after I laughed at him, he told me the cheapest one he had was again $20.

What the fuck is wrong with these companies? I go online, go to Amazon, order a gold plated toslink optical cable with 4.5 stars out of 5 on the review with 2 day shipping for $6 shipped. I really hope people are not gullible enough to pay that much for cables when they can get one that does the same for 1/10th the price.

gschwendt
02-12-2011, 02:41 PM
What the fuck is wrong with these companies? I go online, go to Amazon, order a gold plated toslink optical cable with 4.5 stars out of 5 on the review with 2 day shipping for $6 shipped. I really hope people are not gullible enough to pay that much for cables when they can get one that does the same for 1/10th the price.You overpaid (http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10229&cs_id=1022901&p_id=6774&seq=1&format=2) ;)

I OU a Beatn
02-12-2011, 02:46 PM
I looked there but I know with optical cables, some of them are manufactured with really poor ends and then end up not wanting to stay in the input, so I decided to pay the extra $3 and be sure that I was getting a quality cable based on actual customer reviews. Usually, I do opt for monoprice because they're cheaper with cables than pretty much everyone else and their shipping is only like $2 most of the time. Either way, it's much better than $20. :D

JeffHCross
02-12-2011, 03:10 PM
I really hope people are not gullible enough to pay that much for cables when they can get one that does the same for 1/10th the price.Surely no one's gullible enough to pay for stuff at Best Buy that they could get cheaper elsewhere. Naw.

I OU a Beatn
02-12-2011, 03:32 PM
I know they are. I worked at DirecTV for awhile and had multiple people tell me they had purchased "top of the line" HDMI cables for $70 or $80. "Cool...mine was $10."

JeffHCross
02-12-2011, 03:46 PM
I know they are.Was sarcasm, my friend. The only time I get stuff from Best Buy is when they have brand new CDs on sale, or, in other words, when I can get something from Best Buy at practically the same price as Amazon, but without the hassle of shipping. Stuff is just far too expensive there.

I OU a Beatn
02-12-2011, 04:18 PM
I know you were being sarcastic, it's just funny that people actually pay those prices. Even Walmart. I was shocked to see they were charging $20 for a freakin' optical cable. Walmart is *usually* pretty good about that stuff in my experience.

JeffHCross
02-12-2011, 04:42 PM
Personally, I have a much easier time dealing with $20 for a $6 cable than I do with the prices of Monster cables at Best Buy.

CLW
02-12-2011, 05:10 PM
That's my main complaint, they're long as hell. The USB cable that you run from the mixamp to the PS3/360 is a good 20-30 feet long. The RCA cables that run to your TV(which I will be replacing with an optical cable when it gets here - more on that in a second) is another 20 feet probably. It's nice for people that have big setups, but all my stuff is where where any 6 foot cable would work, so it just makes things messy. The actual cable going from the headset to the mixamp is probably about 6-8 feet long, so that's perfect for my setup. But like I said, I'm willing to deal with wires for a headset that sounds that good. I don't even have the surround sound enabled because I'm using the wrong cables and it still sounds utterly amazing.

Anyway, found out it doesn't come with an optical cable so I need to buy one. I go to walmart and it's $20. That seemed just a tad high to me, so I went to Best Buy. Guy tried to sell me a $100 "gold plated top of the line" optical cable and after I laughed at him, he told me the cheapest one he had was again $20.

What the fuck is wrong with these companies? I go online, go to Amazon, order a gold plated toslink optical cable with 4.5 stars out of 5 on the review with 2 day shipping for $6 shipped. I really hope people are not gullible enough to pay that much for cables when they can get one that does the same for 1/10th the price.

LOL this story is exactly why brick and mortar stores are a Dinosaur that are going to become extinct if they don't adjust. Best Buy has had AWFUL quarters lately. People go in to LOOK at the t.v. then they see their price and it is 10%-25% higher than they can get on Amazon or another online retailer.

Best Buy GameStop etc... are all about to go under.

JeffHCross
02-12-2011, 05:35 PM
Best Buy GameStop etc... are all about to go under.I don't think they're going to go under ... but they're going to need to adjust. There are still a lot of people who aren't willing to shop online. And there are still a lot of items that you don't want to wait for shipping from an online site.

Personally, I still bought my TV from Best Buy. Yes, it was more expensive, but I got three years with no interest and didn't have to concern myself with it being shipped. If I lived in a house that could be delivered to, that wouldn't have been a concern, but since I was literally changing apartments that week, I needed it from a brick and mortar. So we still have a need for brick and mortar ... they just need to reinvent themselves a little bit.

For one example, I still can't fathom who would buy appliances from Best Buy rather than Lowe's, Home Depot, etc.

psuexv
02-14-2011, 03:46 PM
Do we have a dedicated thread for the PS Phone?

Anyone know if you'll be able to play any game you own or if it's only dedicated titles that will play on it. What would be cool is if I can hope on it and do recruiting and other NCAA dynasty functions.

JeffHCross
02-14-2011, 08:51 PM
Anyone know if you'll be able to play any game you own or if it's only dedicated titles that will play on it.Only dedicated titles. Sony has partnered with Unity (aka Unity3D) to port games to the platform. The Xperia Play is effectively just the first phone to be certified for the Playstation Suite (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_Suite). I would bet you'll see a lot of PSOne classics and Minis, but certainly nothing of the PS3 level on the Xperia Play. It's good, but not that good.

What would be cool is if I can hope on it and do recruiting and other NCAA dynasty functions.I would expect you'd be limited to doing this trough the Dynasty Wire, just like any other computer.

CLW
02-20-2011, 03:55 PM
Steeler did you ever bite the bullet on a set of headphones? The wife asked me for a bday list and she balked at paying $250 for headphones but seemed somewhat more likely to grab $150 ones. So it looks like I may be getting the Sharkoon on Friday.

morsdraconis
02-20-2011, 04:28 PM
Steeler did you ever bite the bullet on a set of headphones? The wife asked me for a bday list and she balked at paying $250 for headphones but seemed somewhat more likely to grab $150 ones. So it looks like I may be getting the Sharkoon on Friday.

That is just nuts. Even $150 for headphones (even if they are surround sound ones) is just crazy. Give me my $20 Sennheiser HD 202's over those any day.

JeffHCross
02-20-2011, 05:06 PM
my $20 Sennheiser HD 202'sThe ones that cost $60+ on Amazon?

steelerfan
02-20-2011, 06:21 PM

No, I didn't. Ultimately, I've decided that until I can get a wireless set with high end sound capabilities, it's not worth it to me. It's not a need for me, it'd be a splurge. With 135 in credit at Gamestop, I considered it. But when I discovered that the technology hasn't come as far as I'd hoped, it seemed like a waste to blow that kind of money on something I wouldn't be 100% satisfied with.

morsdraconis
02-20-2011, 07:08 PM
The ones that cost $60+ on Amazon?

Actually, it's these (http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-202-Dynamic-Headphones/dp/B000065BP9/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1298250448&sr=8-2) but I usually buy them from here (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826106306&cm_re=sennheiser_hd_202-_-26-106-306-_-Product) (though they are out of stock at the moment and they're $29.99 instead of $19.99 like they were before).

I OU a Beatn
02-20-2011, 07:26 PM
That is just nuts. Even $150 for headphones (even if they are surround sound ones) is just crazy. Give me my $20 Sennheiser HD 202's over those any day.

I guess it depends on what you use them for. I travel a lot, so I don't just use them for gaming, but for listening to music/movies and like I said...a lot of my gaming is done at night, and they're perfect then, too. I'm also extremely picky in audio quality and out of all the headsets I've tried, the A40s just completely blow away everything else. Granted, a $200 pair of headphones probably isn't needed by a lot of people, but for what I'm using them for, they're perfect and worth every penny.

JeffHCross
02-20-2011, 07:45 PM
Actually, it's these (http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-202-Dynamic-Headphones/dp/B000065BP9/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1298250448&sr=8-2) but I usually buy them from here (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826106306&cm_re=sennheiser_hd_202-_-26-106-306-_-Product) (though they are out of stock at the moment and they're $29.99 instead of $19.99 like they were before).Wowsa. Never seen that much of a price difference between Amazon and NewEgg. Those are the same ones I found, and I found two separate listings. Meant to put $55+.

JeffHCross
03-05-2011, 11:35 AM
IGN: Xperia Play Hands-On (http://gear.ign.com/articles/115/1152940p1.html)

And thus, one of my concerns about reviews of the Xperia Play is realized. All about the gameplay ... nothing about how the phone hardware works as a ... phone.

steelerfan
03-05-2011, 12:53 PM
Anyone have Dragon's Lair from the PS Store? That game was amazing when I was a kid. It was the most amazing game we'd ever seen and it never really got topped. Anyway, I downloaded it last night. I'd forgotten how much the game resembles Heavy Rain in the way you play and how it plays out.

JeffHCross
03-05-2011, 02:27 PM
I've got it, but I've still not gotten around to playing it.

jaymo76
03-06-2011, 01:07 PM
Hey guys,

My apologies first off BUT I feel dumb for asking this question but I really don't know the answer. With my ever-growing family I know have to do all my gaming late at night. My wife and two kids go to sleep and then I get a few games in. The newborn however wakes up with any sound. Therefore, I have to play with the sound off... which I absolutely hate because I need the sound/commentary on in order to be into the game. So I see that my TV (My TV is a 50 inch LG Plasma 1080) has no jack for headphones but I know that the PS3 is bluetooth capatable... so if I buy a headset for the PS3 will I get the game sounds/commentary or is the headset only for chatting with others online? I don't really care about online chat but I need the game sound/commentary. Any help you guys could offer would be awesome. Thanks!

JeffHCross
03-06-2011, 01:29 PM
Jaymo -- the fundamental answer to your question is "it depends". I can give you more info on that answer, but I have a feeling you're overlooking a simpler answer.

Does your TV have RCA Audio Out (http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/imageview.php?image=1585) jacks? It should, because that'd be the only way to hook it up with the stereo. I have an LG TV that definitely has Audio Out.

If you have audio out, you'd just need something like this adapter (http://www.amazon.com/Male-3-5mm-Stereo-Female-Y-Cable/dp/B000I23TTE) plus an extension cable (http://www.amazon.com/Stereo-Extension-Cable-Male-Female/dp/B0017T9XDI) and you'd be in business.

You could also get some kind of wireless headphone system, which would be simple if you had the adapter I already mentioned.

Regarding your original question of buying a PS3 headset ... the standard PS3 headset interface is designed solely for chat. There are PS3 headsets that will do both chat and in-game audio (http://www.turtlebeach.com/products/ps3-gaming-headsets/ear-force-px21.aspx), but those are usually wired. Wireless solutions that would do that are much more expensive. Since it doesn't sound like you want chat, I'd go with the ideas I mentioned earlier.

I OU a Beatn
03-06-2011, 01:44 PM
The method Jeff described with the audio out adapter works, but the sound quality is pretty bad, IMO. The volume was too low for my liking.

As for a headset, it all depends on what kind of audio quality you want and how much you're willing to spend. Turtle Beach makes standard wired stereo headphones for the PS3 for under $60. They also do wireless, but you're going to pay big time for that - around $250.

And if you're willing to spend that much, Turtle Beach isn't even worth it. Although wired, Astro headsets are the best money can buy. Whenever you use them with an optical cable going to your PS3, the sound quality is unparalleled.

So basically, if you want a cheap one - go with Turtle Beach. If you want the best money can buy, Astro Gaming.

Here's the cheaper Turtle Beach one. It does game audio AND chat for $60. Only stereo sound, though, so I don't know how important that is to you - but here. (http://www.turtlebeach.com/products/ps3-gaming-headsets/ear-force-p11.aspx)

JeffHCross
03-06-2011, 01:50 PM
FWIW, I use the PS3's cable essentially plugged into my Turtle Beach headphones, and have the audio out from my TV into my stereo system, and I think both sound just fine. There's a little bit of noise in the line on the PS3 headset, but nothing I can't deal with.

( Interesting, I_OU ... they didn't have the P11 when I bought my P21. Hence why I went straight the PX21 for my link. Good catch. )

I OU a Beatn
03-06-2011, 02:36 PM
The P11 is actually a downgrade from the P21, which is a downgrade from the PX21. The P21 and PX21 are pretty much the exact same thing, but the PX21 comes with an audio processor that supposedly enables any headset you plug into it to become a fully 7.1 surround sound headset. I don't know how that would work, but I'm not going to judge it since I haven't tried it.

My main beef with Turtle Beach headsets is the annoying hiss when there's no sound being played, and the sound quality wasn't quite on par with what I was looking for.

Oh yeah, another good one is Tritton.

Turtle Beach recently released the PX5, which is one bad lookin' headset. Works for 360/PS3, programmable presets for chat, game, and microphone audio, chat on PSN via Bluetooth, 7.1 sound(processed through the audio mixer), and a whole bunch of other shit...and it's completely wireless. It's $250, but it definitely looks wicked.

JeffHCross
03-06-2011, 05:47 PM
Yeah, I agree with you on the hiss, I_OU. It's definitely annoying, but I've learned to deal with it. But, since I don't play shooters, I probably play with my headset considerably less than you.

NatureBoy
03-06-2011, 06:37 PM
Is there anyway to turn off the who is online popup when watching a movie on the PS3? Thanks guys.

I OU a Beatn
03-06-2011, 06:41 PM
Not that I'm aware of, but you can turn the notifications off completely. If you only want them off while watching movies, you'd have to change settings every time you switch between playing or watching a movie, but you go to Settings > System Settings > Notification Messages > Do Not Display.

JeffHCross
03-06-2011, 07:12 PM
I didn't think you saw notifications at all when watching a movie. Not a DVD/Blu-ray at least. You talking Netflix or downloaded?