PDA

View Full Version : Playstation 3 Discussion

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7

morsdraconis
03-06-2011, 08:26 PM
I find it hard to believe that your 50 inch LG Plasma TV doesn't have a headphone jack. Not trying to call you a moron or anything, but I would definitely look again and much sure cause I've never seen a large TV like that not have a headphone jack.

My Philips 49" LCD does and I use it frequently (especially when playing shooters). Not sure I could handle not having it.

JeffHCross
03-06-2011, 09:28 PM
Mors, plenty of TVs don't have headphone jacks (mine included). But I've never heard of one that didn't have either headphone or RCA.

morsdraconis
03-06-2011, 10:24 PM
Mors, plenty of TVs don't have headphone jacks (mine included). But I've never heard of one that didn't have either headphone or RCA.

It just blows my mind that that is the case. As I said before, I very much enjoy having the ability to plug my Sennheiser HD 202 headphones into it for when I'm playing games that require sound (or just plugging it straight into my PC and listening to music while playing a game muted). I don't know what I'd do without a headphone jack as your RCA solution sounds like a lot of crap for sucky sound quality.

gschwendt
03-06-2011, 10:44 PM
It just blows my mind that that is the case. As I said before, I very much enjoy having the ability to plug my Sennheiser HD 202 headphones into it for when I'm playing games that require sound (or just plugging it straight into my PC and listening to music while playing a game muted). I don't know what I'd do without a headphone jack as your RCA solution sounds like a lot of crap for sucky sound quality.
Add me to the list of people without a headphone jack (at least not one on the front). That said though, the RCA connection almost certainly has the same quality as a headphone jack would. Both only carry dual-channel stereo.

NatureBoy
03-06-2011, 11:22 PM
I didn't think you saw notifications at all when watching a movie. Not a DVD/Blu-ray at least. You talking Netflix or downloaded? It's when watching something streaming from Netflix. I know you can do this on the 360 but didn't know if you could on the PS3.

gschwendt
03-06-2011, 11:25 PM
It's when watching something streaming from Netflix. I know you can do this on the 360 but didn't know if you could on the PS3.
Will Netflix still work if you sign out of PSN?

JBHuskers
03-07-2011, 01:03 AM
Add me to the list of people without a headphone jack (at least not one on the front). That said though, the RCA connection almost certainly has the same quality as a headphone jack would. Both only carry dual-channel stereo.

Same here.

NatureBoy
03-07-2011, 07:42 AM
Will Netflix still work if you sign out of PSN?No, I have to be signed in to watch Netflix.

CLW
03-07-2011, 10:49 AM
LOL IOU has nearly convinced me to drop the $ on the Astros. The wife is out of town this week but has consistently been complaining about the "noise" from my monitor while she is trying to watch t.v.

I'm torn between the $250 Astos and the <$150 Sharkoons.

I OU a Beatn
03-07-2011, 01:21 PM
I've never tried the Sharkoon, but the Astro A40 with the mixamp is one of the best investments I've ever made. They're the most comfortable headset I've ever worn(they go completely over the ear) and the sound quality completely blows away anything I've ever listened to before. The bass is perfect, the quality is crisp and just an enjoyment to listen to. The mixamp allows you to control how loud game volume and chat volume is, and it has a detachable mic which really comes in handy. Plus, it comes with all the wires you need to chat on PSN and XBL if you're an owner of both systems.

Hell, listening to music, it still sounds awesome, so I use it with my MP3 player.

It's also really improved my k/d ratio on multiplayer shooters, because I can hear every single little detail. I've gone from a 1.5 player to well over a 2.0 player on the 2 games I've played since getting the headset. It even comes with a carrying case that fits the headset and the mixamp, so if you travel a good bit, it's perfect for that, too.

Not to mention, the build quality is unbelievable. It's sturdy and if for whatever reason it does break, you get a one year warranty in which they'll replace the headset or the part needed.

If you're seriously consider getting the A40 system, I can get it for you for $225 instead of the normal $250. Once you buy from them once, you get access to the "private store" that has some discounts. I'd be more than happy to give you my user name and password so you could get the discount. Just let me know, it doesn't save credit card information on there so it's no big deal for me if you want to do that.

CLW
03-07-2011, 02:06 PM
I've never tried the Sharkoon, but the Astro A40 with the mixamp is one of the best investments I've ever made. They're the most comfortable headset I've ever worn(they go completely over the ear) and the sound quality completely blows away anything I've ever listened to before. The bass is perfect, the quality is crisp and just an enjoyment to listen to. The mixamp allows you to control how loud game volume and chat volume is, and it has a detachable mic which really comes in handy. Plus, it comes with all the wires you need to chat on PSN and XBL if you're an owner of both systems.

Hell, listening to music, it still sounds awesome, so I use it with my MP3 player.

It's also really improved my k/d ratio on multiplayer shooters, because I can hear every single little detail. I've gone from a 1.5 player to well over a 2.0 player on the 2 games I've played since getting the headset. It even comes with a carrying case that fits the headset and the mixamp, so if you travel a good bit, it's perfect for that, too.

Not to mention, the build quality is unbelievable. It's sturdy and if for whatever reason it does break, you get a one year warranty in which they'll replace the headset or the part needed.

If you're seriously consider getting the A40 system, I can get it for you for $225 instead of the normal $250. Once you buy from them once, you get access to the "private store" that has some discounts. I'd be more than happy to give you my user name and password so you could get the discount. Just let me know, it doesn't save credit card information on there so it's no big deal for me if you want to do that.

Thanks man! I appreciate the offer. Let me think about it a bit.

Few more ?s for ya

#1 What difference (sound/chat quality wise) is there between the A40 wireless and wired sound systems?

#2 If none from #1 do you wish you would have coughed up the extra money ($30) to go wireless?

#3 What is the difference between the A30 and A40?

#4 I notice that when you go to look ath the A40 System it "suggests" you purchase a Rechargeable Battery Pack and a Optical Cable? Are these things I need to also purchase?

I do travel a TON for work and always bring the PS3. I just use my old backpack from lawschool. However, that I believe has led to me messing up a TON of PS3 controllers. In the last year alone I've gone through 5. They don't "break" per se. However, when I turn them on it's like they are stuck going "down" or "up". The sticks appear to be centered but who knows. I actually saw that Astro also sells some gaming backpacks but its hard to tell if that would solve my problem with my PS3 controllers going on the fritz.

I OU a Beatn
03-07-2011, 04:01 PM
I've heard that there's practically zero difference between the wired and wireless versions. I didn't get the wireless because a. I don't mind wires and b. I'm kind of afraid to try wireless. I've heard other wireless headsets can get intereferance fairly easily, but with Astro, they don't use the 2.4Ghz range, so you should probably be fine there. Besides, for my setup, wired made sense. The cable that goes from the headset to the mixamp is over 6 feet long, so it has more than enough wire considering I only sit about 5 feet away from my TV.

The A30 is basically for people who want to use it as a multimedia headset while the A40 is more or less made for people who use it for gaming the majority of the time. The A30 also bleeds a lot moe sound through the headset, while the A40 isn't that bad surprisingly. Also, being that the A40 is designed for tournaments, it's pretty good at keeping outside sounds out. It's not complete noise cancellation, but it still does a pretty good job. Obviously, they're using upgraded speakers in the A40, too, so you're going to get a much better surround sound effect from the A40 as opposed to the A30.

The BIG, BIG thing for me was that the A40 are over-ear design, while the A30 are on-ear. I absolutely hate on-ear. I find them to be really damn uncomfortable, and since I have my ears pierced, every on ear headset I've tried caused irritation at the piercing. Being that the A40 is over ear, it covers your entire ear and is comfortable as hell. That more or less boils down to preference. The A30 are more designed for people who travel a lot so they're smaller, but the A40 comes in a case, and they fold right up so they're really easy to travel with as well.

I didn't buy anything extra, just the audio system(which comes with the headset, the amp, all the cables you need except 1..which I will get to...the traveling case, and 3 speaker tags for the side of the headset). The thing gets power if you plug it into the USB on your PS3, so unless you buy the wireless amp, you don't need it. If you buy the wireless amp, you might need it...I'm not sure. Now, since you're going to be using it for the PS3, you 100% need the optical cable. The sound is 1000000x better using an optical cable from the PS3 to the mixamp, so it's a must. They charge like $15, which is obsurd. If you order it, just order the optical cable from somewhere else - you can buy them online for like $3 or $4 shipped and they'll sound the same.

CLW
03-07-2011, 05:33 PM
I've heard that there's practically zero difference between the wired and wireless versions. I didn't get the wireless because a. I don't mind wires and b. I'm kind of afraid to try wireless. I've heard other wireless headsets can get intereferance fairly easily, but with Astro, they don't use the 2.4Ghz range, so you should probably be fine there. Besides, for my setup, wired made sense. The cable that goes from the headset to the mixamp is over 6 feet long, so it has more than enough wire considering I only sit about 5 feet away from my TV.

The A30 is basically for people who want to use it as a multimedia headset while the A40 is more or less made for people who use it for gaming the majority of the time. The A30 also bleeds a lot moe sound through the headset, while the A40 isn't that bad surprisingly. Also, being that the A40 is designed for tournaments, it's pretty good at keeping outside sounds out. It's not complete noise cancellation, but it still does a pretty good job. Obviously, they're using upgraded speakers in the A40, too, so you're going to get a much better surround sound effect from the A40 as opposed to the A30.

The BIG, BIG thing for me was that the A40 are over-ear design, while the A30 are on-ear. I absolutely hate on-ear. I find them to be really damn uncomfortable, and since I have my ears pierced, every on ear headset I've tried caused irritation at the piercing. Being that the A40 is over ear, it covers your entire ear and is comfortable as hell. That more or less boils down to preference. The A30 are more designed for people who travel a lot so they're smaller, but the A40 comes in a case, and they fold right up so they're really easy to travel with as well.

I didn't buy anything extra, just the audio system(which comes with the headset, the amp, all the cables you need except 1..which I will get to...the traveling case, and 3 speaker tags for the side of the headset). The thing gets power if you plug it into the USB on your PS3, so unless you buy the wireless amp, you don't need it. If you buy the wireless amp, you might need it...I'm not sure. Now, since you're going to be using it for the PS3, you 100% need the optical cable. The sound is 1000000x better using an optical cable from the PS3 to the mixamp, so it's a must. They charge like $15, which is obsurd. If you order it, just order the optical cable from somewhere else - you can buy them online for like $3 or $4 shipped and they'll sound the same.

Yeah sounds like our setups are similar I'll prob get a wired set. Just need to decide if I wanna cough up that much (I'm notoriously TIGHT with my cash). However, I just got a "huge" tax refund so I'm itching to buy a little something for myself. Just can't decide bewteen a headset or a hauppage with a component to hdmi converter.

I OU a Beatn
03-07-2011, 05:38 PM
That's what I did with part of my tax return. :D

I hadn't gotten myself anything that expensive for a long time, so I decided it would be my gift for myself this year.

What did I do with my tax return last year? I got a Happauge. :D

I do kind of regret that. I bought it mainly to record NCAA Football videos, and I haven't liked any NCAA Football games enough this generation to use it, so I have recorded maybe 10 hours of gameplay with it in the year that I've had it. Part of it is because of the huge hassle of editing(I absolutely hate editing), and part of it is just not having enough time. Between recording, editing, adding music, and uploading, you're looking at about 2-5 hours of work for a 10 minute youtube video...depending of course how much effort you want to put into it.

Just an FYI, I was worried that the Astro may not play well with my Happauge, but it turns out they work perfectly together...which is definitely an added bonus.

CLW
03-07-2011, 05:42 PM
That's what I did with part of my tax return. :D

I hadn't gotten myself anything that expensive for a long time, so I decided it would be my gift for myself this year.

What did I do with my tax return last year? I got a Happauge. :D

I do kind of regret that. I bought it mainly to record NCAA Football videos, and I haven't liked any NCAA Football games enough this generation to use it, so I have recorded maybe 10 hours of gameplay with it in the year that I've had it. Part of it is because of the huge hassle of editing(I absolutely hate editing), and part of it is just not having enough time. Between recording, editing, adding music, and uploading, you're looking at about 2-5 hours of work for a 10 minute youtube video...depending of course how much effort you want to put into it.

Just an FYI, I was worried that the Astro may not play well with my Happauge, but it turns out they work perfectly together...which is definitely an added bonus.

Don't give me any ideas. My wife would STRONGLY disapprove. :D

I OU a Beatn
03-07-2011, 05:46 PM
:D Yeah, I'd imagine she would.

jaymo76
03-07-2011, 11:44 PM
I find it hard to believe that your 50 inch LG Plasma TV doesn't have a headphone jack. Not trying to call you a moron or anything, but I would definitely look again and much sure cause I've never seen a large TV like that not have a headphone jack.

My Philips 49" LCD does and I use it frequently (especially when playing shooters). Not sure I could handle not having it.

Yeah I was shocked too. However, the guy I bought the TV from said most TV's no longer come with headphone jacks. It's expected people will fork over a copule hundred bucks for bluetooth capaatability.

jaymo76
03-07-2011, 11:47 PM
The method Jeff described with the audio out adapter works, but the sound quality is pretty bad, IMO. The volume was too low for my liking.

As for a headset, it all depends on what kind of audio quality you want and how much you're willing to spend. Turtle Beach makes standard wired stereo headphones for the PS3 for under $60. They also do wireless, but you're going to pay big time for that - around $250.

And if you're willing to spend that much, Turtle Beach isn't even worth it. Although wired, Astro headsets are the best money can buy. Whenever you use them with an optical cable going to your PS3, the sound quality is unparalleled.

So basically, if you want a cheap one - go with Turtle Beach. If you want the best money can buy, Astro Gaming.

Here's the cheaper Turtle Beach one. It does game audio AND chat for $60. Only stereo sound, though, so I don't know how important that is to you - but here. (http://www.turtlebeach.com/products/ps3-gaming-headsets/ear-force-p11.aspx)

Looks like I'm just going to pick up a PX21 for 62.99 taxes in. I have a $25.00 discount through NCIX and it seems like it will meet my needs. The wirless alternatives starts at $159.99. Thanks for your help Jeff H and I OU

JeffHCross
03-08-2011, 08:52 PM
Hey I_OU ... I was looking over the Turtle Beach and Astro websites the other day ... and it's not clear to me if any of them are offering Surround Sound wireless for PC (don't care 5.1 vs 7.1). I see a couple that say they're for 360, but I couldn't tell if any of them were for PC.

Personally, Surround + Wireless + PC is more likely to be used than for the PS3 (and certainly not for 360), so that's why I'm looking.

I OU a Beatn
03-08-2011, 10:26 PM
I'm not sure about Turtle Beach, but when you buy the A40 Audio System(wired or wireless), you get the ability for 5.1 and 7.1 on PC, 360, and PS3. It's the mixamp that comes with the audio system that allows for the surround sound, so as long as you use the right cables, you'll be able to get it on all 3. I'll have to double check with the cables that I got, but I'm 99% sure it comes with all the necessary cables to connect to your PC.

I OU a Beatn
03-09-2011, 12:09 PM
Update 3.60 launches tomorrow(or if past firmware updates are anything to go by - between 12am and 1am EST tonight) and includes online game saves for PS Plus members:

The new online storage feature allows gamers to store up to 150MB of game save data and a maximum of 1000 data files per PSN account. Users also have the ability to back-up “copy-prohibited save data,” and all previously saved data may be restored once per 24 hour period. When the new feature launches, most PS3 titles will be compatible with online storage for game saves, and moving forward, all new titles will have the capability to offer the storage option.

JeffHCross
03-09-2011, 08:09 PM
Users also have the ability to back-up “copy-prohibited save data,” and all previously saved data may be restored once per 24 hour period.Hell, yes. What should be an easy, simple way to upgrade my hard drive without having to transfer to another PS3.

I OU a Beatn
03-09-2011, 08:12 PM
Yep, I became excited when I read that bit, too. I'm not out of space yet, but it'll make things SO much easier when I do decide to upgrade to a larger hard drive. Besides, with my luck with PS3, this feature alone is almost worth $50 a year.

steelerfan
03-09-2011, 08:26 PM
Dumb question.

150 MB total isn't much. Is there a way to compress, is it 150 MB per file, or what am I missing? If this could handle all of my game saves, I'd be on board.

I OU a Beatn
03-09-2011, 09:26 PM
Game saves are usually very small, so you shouldn't have a problem fitting it all.

JeffHCross
03-09-2011, 09:33 PM
Pretty sure it's 150 total, Steeler. And for game saves, that's a fairly decent amount. Personally, I'm going to look to save my "copy-prohibited" saves, then back all my other saves up to an external HDD.

I OU a Beatn
03-09-2011, 10:28 PM
It's live.

steelerfan
03-10-2011, 12:40 AM
Well, a Franchise or RttS save in MLB 11 is 23 MB. So, just saving those 2 would use 1/3 of your space. Granted, other than that, the largest I have are just under 7000 k. I don't play a ton of games, I just thought that those who do would fill that easily. Idk.

souljahbill
03-10-2011, 10:09 AM
I saved all my game saves and profiles this morning. I have 62MB left. Some save files were bigger then I expected (I'm looking at you Lego Rock Band and Joe Danger). Now, I just need an external hard drive so I can back everything up and get a new internal hard drive.

steelerfan
03-11-2011, 12:19 AM
:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sd5c-hzWcf0

I OU a Beatn
03-11-2011, 02:05 PM
Free to Play MMO "Free Realms" Comes to PS3 March 29 (http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/03/11/free-realms-available-on-psn-march-29)

Normally unexciting news, but whenever there's a free game on PSN that comes with 46 trophies including a platinum, my ears start to perk up.

morsdraconis
03-11-2011, 04:55 PM
Is it actually free or is it one of those games where to get any of the good stuff you gotta pay? (Not that I much care about a MMO anyway...)

JeffHCross
03-11-2011, 07:26 PM
Micro-transactions are available for Free Realms, but I think it's not "necessary" unlike some of the other Free-to-play MMOs.

jaymo76
03-12-2011, 10:22 AM
Just as a follow up, my Turtlebeach PX21 arrived yesterday. I set it up and for $60.00 I am 100% impressed with the quality. I played some NCAA BASKETBALL 10 and it was crystal clear commentary combined with excellent all around sounds. Overall, definitely a worthwhile purchase. If you don't want to spend a lot but want a quality headest I give PX21 my full recommendation.

JeffHCross
03-12-2011, 03:25 PM
Jaymo, do you observe a background hiss when there's no sound coming through the headset? Wondering if they've improved that with the PX.

jaymo76
03-12-2011, 06:49 PM
Jaymo, do you observe a background hiss when there's no sound coming through the headset? Wondering if they've improved that with the PX.

I have played four games and haven't noticed anything. My only minor complaint is that the headset is a little more clunky then I would like. Other than that, the sound quality has been wonderful.

JeffHCross
03-12-2011, 07:40 PM
Sounds like a drastic improvement then. With the P21s I have, as soon as you put them on there's an audible background hiss -- similar to when your computer speakers are cranked too high but there's no sound coming out.

I OU a Beatn
03-12-2011, 08:46 PM
I'm pretty sure it's because they're too damn loud. You could always buy their audio processor, Jeff, and that may end up getting rid of the static. It would also supposedly give you a surround sound effect.

JeffHCross
03-12-2011, 09:10 PM
I'm pretty sure it's because they're too damn loud.That can't be the sole cause. I've turned down the individual volume controls on both Chat and Game to nil and the hiss doesn't change.

CLW
03-26-2011, 07:56 AM
So... I got an odd e-mail. My conclusion was that it is some type of scam that people are trying to get your Credit Card info below is the e-mail I received:

Add PlayStation_Network@playstation.innovyx.net to your address book

===================================

PlayStation(R)Network

An important message to you from the
PlayStation(R)Network team at Sony Computer
Entertainment America LLC.

On April 1, 2011, Sony Computer
Entertainment America LLC ("SCEA")
will transfer its online services
operations, including your wallet
and the funds in it, to Sony Network
Entertainment America Inc. ("SNEA").
The first time you sign in to your
Sony Online Services account on or
after April 1, you will be asked to
enter into a new Terms of Service and
User Agreement with SNEA. If you do
not wish to enter into a contract with
SNEA, you may decline the terms of
service and we will close your account(s)
and return your funds. You can preview
the new Terms of Service and User
Agreement with SNEA at:
http://playstation.innovyx.net/r?xncJWvTEcWlJclEHWcJcnlcHccn

PlayStation(R)Network will continue to
provide you with the highest standard
of interactive entertainment. Your
access to the best games, movies, TV
shows, music and friends will remain
intact. Thank you very much for being
part of the PlayStation(R)Network online
community! We look forward to continuing
to bring you the best in innovative
online entertainment!

Your PlayStation(R)Network password and
Sign-on ID (clw22580) is required
to sign in to your Sony Online Services
account. Please go to >>
http://playstation.innovyx.net/r?xncJWvTEcWlJHqEHWcJcnlcHcJH
to ensure your account information
is accurate and updated.

The PlayStation(R)Network Team

LEGAL
"PlayStation" and the "PS" Family logo are
registered trademarks and "PS3" and
"PlayStation Network" are trademarks of
Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.
(C) 2011 Sony Computer Entertainment America LLC.

Sony Computer Entertainment America LLC
919 E. Hillsdale Blvd., Foster City, CA 94404

morsdraconis
03-26-2011, 08:13 AM
I got that too. Very strange.

JeffHCross
03-26-2011, 09:51 AM
It's legit (http://www.neoseeker.com/news/16094-psn-services-to-be-transferred-over-to-sony-network-entertainment/). We all got it. New terms are here: http://www.qriocity.com/psnlegal/us/privacy.html

JBHuskers
03-26-2011, 04:53 PM
So basically it's just a shift in responsibilities for the billing?

I OU a Beatn
03-26-2011, 06:08 PM
How the hell come I never, ever get emails from Sony? This has screwed me out of countless betas!

JeffHCross
03-26-2011, 06:44 PM
So basically it's just a shift in responsibilities for the billing?SNEA is a new division announced earlier this year. They're the ones that are responsible for MusicUnlimited as well. I think it's just a new division that will head up all network-related stuff. I think they may also be in charge of the app store for mobile phones. Not sure though.

Sony Network Entertainment
Sony Network Entertainment exists to drive vision, strategy and service delivery for network services across the entire Sony Group, with a goal of offering consumers compelling, connected entertainment experiences across a variety of Sony devices.

How the hell come I never, ever get emails from Sony? This has screwed me out of countless betas!Your PSN account is linked to a valid e-mail address, right? Maybe you opted out of communications somewhere. Do you get e-mails whenever you purchase something from the store? FWIW, I can't immediately think of any Beta invites that have come through e-mail.

I OU a Beatn
03-26-2011, 07:18 PM
It's a valid email, the one I initially signed up with and still use to this day. I'm opted in to both options whenever you signed up. I do get the store confirmation emails, but that's it. There's been numerous instances when I knew I was supposed to get something from Sony - be it a beta or whatever - and flat out didn't get it.

JBHuskers
03-27-2011, 04:34 AM
How the hell come I never, ever get emails from Sony? This has screwed me out of countless betas!

You need to be opted in....

Gotta go into your account and make sure the box is checked.

I OU a Beatn
03-27-2011, 07:01 AM
They are checked. I've checked multiple times. I guess I'm going to have to give the good ol' Sony customer service a call. :D

JBHuskers
03-29-2011, 03:01 PM
Here's a video of all the new features for MLB.TV on the PS3 (http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/03/29/playstation-network-launches-2011-mlb-tv-with-new-features-for-opening-day/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=mlb_tv_032911) - I got the $99 package as the premium package just isn't worth the extra $20, but this is a hell of a deal compared to the cable package.

steelerfan
03-29-2011, 04:09 PM
Some of the new features are on NHL GameCenter Live also. Hopefully, NHL will add the rest for next season.

cdj
03-29-2011, 10:30 PM
Is anyone else's Friend's List not sorting by alphabet correctly anymore? On mine, it started with gschwendt showing up out of order so I blamed his console which is on the blink. Tonight, it seems like 5-7 guys are now showing up out of order. UGA14, gschwendt....I forget who else. Is this an issue where I need to 'rebuild my database' or just don't worry about it?

gschwendt
03-29-2011, 11:05 PM
Is anyone else's Friend's List not sorting by alphabet correctly anymore? On mine, it started with gschwendt showing up out of order so I blamed his console which is on the blink. Tonight, it seems like 5-7 guys are now showing up out of order. UGA14, gschwendt....I forget who else. Is this an issue where I need to 'rebuild my database' or just don't worry about it?
No... I noticed it started happening to me tonight as well. Perhaps it's somehow Tiger related?

cdj
03-29-2011, 11:11 PM
I've had it happening for a week or two I think. Not just tonight, but tonight is the worst I have seen it.

JBHuskers
03-29-2011, 11:50 PM

It started doing it a couple weeks ago I noticed.

steelerfan
03-30-2011, 01:15 AM
Um, mine has always sorted by last login. Of course, I'm not very friendly, or a friend-whore so I don't need to index them that way. :P

skipwondah33
03-30-2011, 09:36 AM
Mine started doing this I noticed about 2-3 weeks ago. Matter of fact CDJ you are always on the bottom of the list for some reason lol...I thought it has to do with the fact you always have your "don't bother me" status turned on :D

JBHuskers
03-30-2011, 09:39 AM
Mine started doing this I noticed about 2-3 weeks ago. Matter of fact CDJ you are always on the bottom of the list for some reason lol...I thought it has to do with the fact you always have your "don't bother me" status turned on :D

He likes to hide.

cdj
03-30-2011, 02:40 PM

Ha - yeah, 'Away' status does that. ;) I can't figure out why the list got so out of whack yesterday. I am blaming gschwendt - his was the first I saw to appear out of order.

gschwendt
03-30-2011, 02:48 PM
Ha - yeah, 'Away' status does that. ;) I can't figure out why the list got so out of whack yesterday. I am blaming gschwendt - his was the first I saw to appear out of order.
I wonder if it's sorting by time online... since I'm leaving my console on for a long period of time, I would obviously be on longest and thus appear at the bottom.

UGA14
03-30-2011, 06:40 PM
Mine does this as well for online players. Had never noticed before though ...

JeffHCross
03-30-2011, 07:44 PM
Is anyone else's Friend's List not sorting by alphabet correctly anymore?Yep, my online Friend List hasn't been in order for at least a week.

I OU a Beatn
03-30-2011, 08:13 PM
Same, it's been driving me nuts. When you have anywhere from 40-50 people online at once and you're trying to find someone to invite them or join their game, the friend's list not appearing in alphabetical order is really annoying.

psuexv
03-31-2011, 01:03 PM
I wish they would allow you to group your friends list into subcategories. I'd love to be able to name a group of players based on which game I play with them.

I OU a Beatn
03-31-2011, 01:06 PM
I wish they would allow you to group your friends list into subcategories. I'd love to be able to name a group of players based on which game I play with them.

I would kill for that.

psuexv
03-31-2011, 01:09 PM
I would kill for that.

Yeah to me this is no brainer that I can't believe it hasn't been done. But we do get updates so you can edit photos within the interface..... :bang:

CLW
03-31-2011, 01:37 PM
Being able to group friends would be NICE! Make it happen + members but make it available to all of us. :nod:

psuexv
04-01-2011, 12:48 PM
This should be delivered today

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41SfYzN7pdL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I really, really miss my old Xbox controller. I hope this thing lives up to the hype. Major League Gaming recommends for those that are used to an Xbox but have to play on a PS3

jaymo76
04-02-2011, 08:22 PM
This should be delivered today

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41SfYzN7pdL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I really, really miss my old Xbox controller. I hope this thing lives up to the hype. Major League Gaming recommends for those that are used to an Xbox but have to play on a PS3

That's interesting... when I owned a 360 I hated the controller. I was always a PS guy. Once I got my PS3 it was hard to adapt back to it but now that I have I could never go back to the 360 format.

JBHuskers
04-03-2011, 02:32 PM
For some reason I have no trouble switching back and forth between the two.

psuexv
04-04-2011, 08:35 AM
For some reason I have no trouble switching back and forth between the two.

I don't have a hard time switching and have been using my PS3 controller only for the past 3 years, but I just missed my Xbox one. I only had the original Xbox. The thing that drives me crazy with the PS3 is the looseness of the sticks. I don't have any issues with the position of the left stick as most do, even though it is nice higher up. It's all about the sticks for me.

Quick review of the controller though - A+ I played a game of college football and it worked well, it was against another user and there was some lag so I didn't get a complete feel for it. Played TW12 and it worked really well. My putts were much smoother.

UGA14
04-04-2011, 05:02 PM
This group "Anon" who supposedly took down PSN can go f**k themselves. Just saying.

CLW
04-04-2011, 05:19 PM
This group "Anon" who supposedly took down PSN can go f**k themselves. Just saying.

I come home and fire up the PS3 and get an error message. I assume it's related to this. Anyone know if Trophies are related to PSN/internet connection? No sense playing if no trophies :nod:

cdj
04-04-2011, 05:23 PM
I come home and fire up the PS3 and get an error message. I assume it's related to this. Anyone know if Trophies are related to PSN/internet connection? No sense playing if no trophies :nod:

You can still earn Trophies while offline (provided they are not online-related, of course). ;) Like normal, you'll have to sync them up at a later date.

Is PSN getting hacked or down for maintenance? I haven't been following news too closely today.

EDIT - GameSpot speculates that they are being hacked (http://www.gamespot.com/news/6306945.html?tag=latestheadlines%3Btitle%3B1), but Sony tweeted early this afternoon that PSN would be down for maintenance (http://twitter.com/#!/AskPlayStation/status/54945167689515008). I'd assume it'd be easier to bring down websites as compared to PSN and their sites are up and running.

UGA14
04-04-2011, 05:26 PM
Well these morons claim hacked, Sony says maintenance. I was able to just sign on. Really sick of these morons all related to GeoHot. Good God, get over it.

CLW
04-04-2011, 05:32 PM
You can still earn Trophies while offline (provided they are not online-related, of course). ;) Like normal, you'll have to sync them up at a later date.

Is PSN getting hacked or down for maintenance? I haven't been following news too closely today.

From what I can tell Anon is taking credit while Sony says it is down for maintenance. Personally, I wish Sony hired some Goons to personally break into these 12 year olds homes and then do this to each and every one of them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NB7OTxCqVVQ

:nod:

cdj
04-04-2011, 05:37 PM
If they are hacking PSN, this isn't the best way to endear themselves to the same people they claim to be defending & representing.

CLW
04-04-2011, 05:38 PM
If they are hacking PSN, this isn't the best way to endear themselves to the same people they claim to be defending & representing.

Shhh.... logic need not apply to anarchist.

Its like the morons at PETA dumping paint on a fur coat. What does the "rich" "evil" animal killer do? Go out and buy another fur coat. :smh:

CLW
04-04-2011, 05:40 PM
FYI - I just signed into PSN

steelerfan
04-04-2011, 07:54 PM
Personally, I wish Sony hired some Goons to personally break into these 12 year olds homes and then do this to each and every one of them:

I'm available. :nod:

JeffHCross
04-04-2011, 08:11 PM
If they are hacking PSN, this isn't the best way to endear themselves to the same people they claim to be defending & representing.FWIW, I don't think Anon claims any higher reason or purpose. They just like having fun.

SmoothPancakes
04-04-2011, 08:37 PM

I was thinking that same thing when I saw this conversation starting up earlier tonight. Great way to try and gain followers with your "we're sticking up for the little people" claim, by pissing off every single person who is trying to access PSN.

morsdraconis
04-04-2011, 10:21 PM
FWIW, I don't think Anon claims any higher reason or purpose. They just like having fun.

That's when hacking is truly good. If they are doing it just to see if they can (with no real malicious intent) they're actually doing the company a favor by showing them a glaring hole in their security.

JeffHCross
04-04-2011, 10:24 PM
That's when hacking is truly good. If they are doing it just to see if they can (with no real malicious intent) they're actually doing the company a favor by showing them a glaring hole in their security.Agree with concept, not with execution. If memory serves, most of their attacks are DDoS, not a security hole. That's not helpful, that's just annoying.

morsdraconis
04-04-2011, 10:42 PM
Agree with concept, not with execution. If memory serves, most of their attacks are DDoS, not a security hole. That's not helpful, that's just annoying.

Ah, then that is just chump league bullshit anyway. They're just being assholes then.

JBHuskers
04-04-2011, 11:48 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2efhrCxI4J0

psuexv
04-05-2011, 10:04 AM
Shhh.... logic need not apply to anarchist.

Its like the morons at PETA dumping paint on a fur coat.

And the fact that they paint that they used will be dumped down the drain and destroy the ecosystem and kill more animals. :bang:

UGA14
04-05-2011, 07:18 PM
Yeah DDoS doesn't prove a a security hole, plus it broke something. A "white hat" hacker will find a security hole but not exploit it. There was no hole here, just a bunch of douchebags saying we can overload your server with pointless requests!!

souljahbill
04-20-2011, 01:24 PM
If anyone has Borderlands on the PS3, I'm looking for some co-op friends. I have the GotY edition so I have all the DLC installed.

cdj
04-21-2011, 07:26 AM
PSN Error 80710A06 Update – If you try login to you PSN account you might receive this error code : 80710A06. As of now PSN is down and currently undergoing maintenance this April 21, 2011 at midnight. If you receive this message don’t panic since there were lots of other PS3 user encountered this error message.

Based on Twitter , here are the latest tweets regarding Error 80710A06 (http://twitter.com/#!/search/80710A06). This error code 80710A06 just appeared for about 45 minutes ago and still PSN is not accessible as of now. You can visit PS3′s official webpage for more information regarding the unannounced maintenance.

We will update you regarding PSN error code 80710A06 and what time PSN will get back to work again.

Courtesy: Top Gelato (http://topgelato.com/error-80710a06-psn-is-down/16116)

Kwizzy
04-21-2011, 10:58 AM
Courtesy: Top Gelato (http://topgelato.com/error-80710a06-psn-is-down/16116)

This = a huge pain in the ass!

CLW
04-21-2011, 11:28 AM
LOL well at least it isn't just me. I always freak out when I cannot get on PSN only to come to TGT to find out its some world wide problem/maintenance issue.

I OU a Beatn
04-21-2011, 11:52 AM
This is ridiculous.

While we are investigating the cause of the Network outage, we wanted to alert you that it may be a full day or two before we’re able to get the service completely back up and running. Thank you very much for your patience while we work to resolve this matter. Please stay tuned to this space for more details, and we’ll update you again as soon as we can.

morsdraconis
04-21-2011, 01:57 PM
So happy I don't have to deal with this shit anymore.

cdj
04-21-2011, 01:58 PM
I heard on the news that a lot of sites are having troubles today. Something to due with hosting services provided by Amazon. I wouldn't think PSN would tie into that, but you never know.

UGA14
04-21-2011, 02:03 PM
Have a feeling it's related to these stupid douchebag anonymous fuckers again. Getting sick of this.

cdj
04-21-2011, 02:19 PM
Saw this on Joystiq:

The PlayStation Blog now reports that " it may be a full day or two before we're able to get the service completely back up and running."

JBHuskers
04-21-2011, 02:21 PM
Saw this on Joystiq:

The PlayStation Blog now reports that " it may be a full day or two before we're able to get the service completely back up and running."

Yikes.

CLW
04-21-2011, 02:45 PM
Have a feeling it's related to these stupid douchebag anonymous fuckers again. Getting sick of this.

I said it last time we needed to go to Mommy's basement and setup a little Saw trap for those [CENSORED]!

Thankfully, I have a ton of job apps I need to get out. I forgot how big of a pain in the ass it is to move 1/2 way across the country. The things we do for the ones we love. :smh:

JBHuskers
04-21-2011, 02:54 PM
Yeah we were suppoed to tee off in our golf league tonight, but guess not now! :smh:

Iron Dragon
04-21-2011, 03:04 PM
Anonymous needs to quit with this if it's them..

I OU a Beatn
04-21-2011, 03:36 PM
It's not. Sony said they're having issues with their shit in Japan.

CLW
04-21-2011, 04:54 PM
It's not. Sony said they're having issues with their shit in Japan.

Damn Global Warming then causing those Earthquakes/Tsunami!

JBHuskers
04-21-2011, 07:48 PM
Is the PSN still down?

Kwizzy
04-21-2011, 07:51 PM
Is the PSN still down?

They said a day or two! :(

I just want to download the newest patch for battlefield 2, then it can be down for a week for all i care! ugghh!

JBHuskers
04-21-2011, 07:55 PM
Ugh, just wondered if someone tried and surprisingly it was back up. Guess I'll be on 360 all night.

Kwizzy
04-21-2011, 07:59 PM
Ugh, just wondered if someone tried and surprisingly it was back up. Guess I'll be on 360 all night.

Just tried it, still down. :bang:

I OU a Beatn
04-21-2011, 08:12 PM
Thank God for XBL.

JeffHCross
04-21-2011, 08:57 PM
Definitely still down.

JBHuskers
04-21-2011, 09:48 PM
Thank God for XBL.

I OU a Beatn
04-21-2011, 09:55 PM
I wonder if we're going to get anything? Every time Live goes down for longer than a few hours, they give everyone a free game or month of Live. I'll be waiting patiently, Sony. If it's alright with you, I won't be holding my breath. :)

Kingpin32
04-21-2011, 11:56 PM
I wonder if we're going to get anything? Every time Live goes down for longer than a few hours, they give everyone a free game or month of Live. I'll be waiting patiently, Sony. If it's alright with you, I won't be holding my breath. :)

We'll get a free avatar.

Iron Dragon
04-22-2011, 08:13 AM
I hope we get a choice of anything for free from the Playstation Store.. :nod:

Maybe a free month of Plus, who knows.

UGA14
04-22-2011, 09:04 AM

Plus subscribers should, nobody else should. The only reason we get free things on XBL is because we paid to use the service.

JBHuskers
04-22-2011, 09:32 AM
Plus subscribers should, nobody else should. The only reason we get free things on XBL is because we paid to use the service.

Basically...speaking of which, I have no idea when my year subscription to PS+ ends...

CLW
04-22-2011, 10:50 AM
Just tried again and I get a message saying PSN is undergoing maintenance.

A day off from work with the wife on call for 36 hours and no PSN? :smh: worst day eva!

cdj
04-22-2011, 10:53 AM
I'm beginning to wonder if they fired an employee and he went postal in the server room. Hackers deny any responsibility, but clearly something big happened.

CLW
04-22-2011, 10:56 AM
I'm beginning to wonder if they fired an employee and he went postal in the server room. Hackers deny any responsibility, but clearly something big happened.

Yeah something is clearly up. "Maintenance" is not something that takes 24+ hours IMHO.

JBHuskers
04-22-2011, 10:57 AM
Maybe they're adding in party chat!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InaRIYFPMiY#t=1s

Kingpin32
04-22-2011, 11:16 AM
Complete side bar from the PSN talk, I'm in the process of getting a new game but I don't know what to get. I got it down to COD, Tiger Woods 12 and NHL 11. I could possibly get 2 if the sale on TW on Amazon lasts til Monday. I'm also open to suggestions too.

I OU a Beatn
04-22-2011, 11:21 AM
It's probably from the 6.0 earthquake Japan had around the time the servers initially went down.

JeffHCross
04-22-2011, 06:15 PM
Ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff this sucks.

I OU a Beatn
04-22-2011, 07:46 PM
I didn't even see the Party Chat comment earlier, but YES, they definitely need to. I realize it's not happening, but every time I see "party chat" and "PSN" in the same sentence, I feel the need to vent.

Also, this is HORSE SHIT. Come on, Sony...quick sucking.

UGA14
04-22-2011, 08:23 PM
This happens to us at work. It's mad fun to know you're working basically around the clock to solve the issue and you can't eradicate it and people are PISSED. Then even after you fix it, could be something totally out of your control, everyone thinks you're an incompetent asshole for letting it happen. Lol @ technology work.

JeffHCross
04-22-2011, 09:28 PM
This happens to us at work. It's mad fun to know you're working basically around the clock to solve the issue and you can't eradicate it and people are PISSED. Then even after you fix it, could be something totally out of your control, everyone thinks you're an incompetent asshole for letting it happen. Lol @ technology work.Yep. Happens to me almost every day.

My favorite words are "cannot be reproduced". :sick: :smh:

JeffHCross
04-22-2011, 09:43 PM
An external intrusion on our system has affected our PlayStation Network and Qriocity services. In order to conduct a thorough investigation and to verify the smooth and secure operation of our network services going forward, we turned off PlayStation Network & Qriocity services on the evening of Wednesday, April 20th.They got The Hacked.

SmoothPancakes
04-23-2011, 02:34 AM
They got The Hacked.

I knew that was going to have been the case. It would have to be some serious ass maintenance to take the entire system offline for multiple days.

UGA14
04-23-2011, 08:05 AM
They got The Hacked.

I still don't get it, wouldn't you have posted "we turned off the networks on the 20th" as opposed to basically saying you don't know what's wrong with it... when it initially happened.

Oneback
04-23-2011, 08:17 AM
They may not have initially known what was going on or just did not want to speculate and now with several days to go through logs they see a trend.

JeffHCross
04-23-2011, 07:53 PM
I still don't get it, wouldn't you have posted "we turned off the networks on the 20th" as opposed to basically saying you don't know what's wrong with it... when it initially happened.Not necessarily. The initial reports indicated that something was causing problems in Japan. I don't know anything about the infrastructure about PSN, but if some core services are in Japan, it's possible that they were shut down due to this 'external intrusion', but that wasn't communicated to Sony Europe and Sony America. One thing that's clear about this is that the communication at Sony is truly, truly lacking. Maybe not internally, but definitely externally. IGN tore into them pretty bad (http://ps3.ign.com/articles/116/1163747p1.html) today, and they're right that something as essential as information compromise hasn't been communicated. It's possible that it's still being investigated, but even that information would be nice.

There's also the possibility that there is a school of thought that says you don't acknowledge an attack until you think you've isolated it. If on Wednesday they said "we're under attack, and we're taking down PSN as a safeguard", two things would have happened: 1) The people that don't understand what that means would have countered with "Are you idiotic? Why are you taking down my PSN?" 2) The people responsible for the attack would have known they had success and redoubled their efforts. In practically any circumstance where an attack is ongoing, you don't acknowledge it until after the fact. It's not the best line of thinking, and I'm not sure I agree with it, but I've seen it time and again.

The other possibility is that they may not have manually trigged the shutdown. It may have been done automatically in response to the attack. And in that case it would be more along the lines of Oneback's speculation.

cdj
04-23-2011, 10:07 PM
Latest update:

We sincerely regret that PlayStation Network and Qriocity services have been suspended, and we are working around the clock to bring them both back online. Our efforts to resolve this matter involve re-building our system to further strengthen our network infrastructure. Though this task is time-consuming, we decided it was worth the time necessary to provide the system with additional security.

We thank you for your patience to date and ask for a little more while we move towards completion of this project. We will continue to give you updates as they become available.

JeffHCross
04-23-2011, 10:16 PM
Well, at least they're communicating a little more.

CLW
04-24-2011, 08:19 AM
Latest update:

We sincerely regret that PlayStation Network and Qriocity services have been suspended, and we are working around the clock to bring them both back online. Our efforts to resolve this matter involve re-building our system to further strengthen our network infrastructure. Though this task is time-consuming, we decided it was worth the time necessary to provide the system with additional security.

We thank you for your patience to date and ask for a little more while we move towards completion of this project. We will continue to give you updates as they become available.

Wow a statement that says nothing but please don't go postal on us while your online capabilities are down for an undetermined amount of time.

UGA14
04-24-2011, 09:04 AM
I just wanna headshot someone on SOCOM. That's all.

steelerfan
04-24-2011, 11:14 AM
When PSN goes back online, I'm considering calling them and demanding credit ($) for their network rendering my subscription to NHL Gamecenter Live useless on my PS3.

UGA14
04-24-2011, 11:36 AM
That's a separate subscription agreement and you can still access it from your laptop. Hook your laptop up to your tv.

JeffHCross
04-24-2011, 05:02 PM
Latest rumors are that PSN should start returning to Japan on Monday, and return to US and Europe on Tuesday.

steelerfan
04-24-2011, 05:20 PM
That's a separate subscription agreement and you can still access it from your laptop. Hook your laptop up to your tv.

I know, but the picture quality suffers, there are different replay/classic games options on the ps3 and since I'm not a PS+ guy I had to pay ($10 I think) for Gamecenter on the ps3.

I don't anticipate getting any credit, I just wanna take out some frustration on Sony. I'm also gonna call the Gamecenter # and tell them I don't intend to renew for 2011-12 because of PSN. Just stirring the pot. If you charge me for a service, you should refund if you can't provide it.

UGA14
04-24-2011, 09:11 PM
GameCenter isn't free like MLB.tv? Well that's a little different. Ah well, in the meantime I subscribed to iRacing and I don't even care about PSN at the moment. Though I want to play SOCOM, so if it could hurry up.

JeffHCross
04-24-2011, 09:15 PM
The GameCenter app is only free to PS+ subscribers. $10 for any "free" PSN users.

steelerfan
04-24-2011, 10:11 PM
The GameCenter app is only free to PS+ subscribers. $10 for any "free" PSN users.

Yep, and since I had to pay for it, they're gonna hear about it.

Which, btw, you PS+ guys should bellyache that you want $ or double the number of days lost to be added to your subscription length.

JBHuskers
04-25-2011, 08:26 AM

But you have to pay $160 for the season.

JBHuskers
04-25-2011, 10:28 AM
:D :D :D :smh:

I know you are waiting for additional information on when PlayStation Network and Qriocity services will be online. Unfortunately, I don’t have an update or timeframe to share at this point in time.

As we previously noted, this is a time intensive process and we’re working to get them back online quickly. We’ll keep you updated with information as it becomes available. We once again thank you for your patience.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/04/25/psn-update/

CLW
04-25-2011, 03:59 PM
:D :D :D :smh:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/04/25/psn-update/

Will PS4 come out before PSN is back up and running? :nod:

JBHuskers
04-25-2011, 04:07 PM
Sony had to think they were going to get railed by saying our update is we have no update.

cdj
04-25-2011, 06:10 PM
From Joystiq (http://www.joystiq.com/2011/04/25/rumor-rebug-custom-firmware-enabled-free-psn-downloads-for/):

According to PSX-Scene former moderator, "chesh," the now six-day-long PlayStation Network outage is the result of a particularly exploitative custom firmware (CFW) modification for PS3. In a post on Reddit, chesh claims that a CFW known as "Codename: Rebug" had given its users the ability to log into PSN as if they were doing so from a developer console (or "debug unit").

As a result, chesh contends, this same exploit allowed its users to add funds from "dummy" credit card accounts into their PSN wallets, ostensibly giving them the ability to "unlock" (read: steal) certain PlayStation Store content. Joystiq's research into the purported exploit has turned up multiple tutorials detailing the process, which appears alarmingly easy to execute on consoles running the Rebug CFW.

The hack does not allow its users to access the credit card or other personal information of PSN users, chesh adds. Nevertheless, as we reported earlier today, Sony is working to rule out information theft as part of its investigation during the maintenance outage in which the company is also implementing new security measures.

Sony has not yet responded to our request for comment on this story.

CLW
04-25-2011, 06:36 PM
wow. it used to be silly viruses you had to watch out for. now these kids living in the basement are just into stealing stuff.

JeffHCross
04-25-2011, 06:45 PM
From Joystiq (http://www.joystiq.com/2011/04/25/rumor-rebug-custom-firmware-enabled-free-psn-downloads-for/):I saw that story a few other places. It's suspect for one reason ... in the other articles, they said that "Rebug" was release March 31. I'd have a hard time believing that Sony took down the network 3 weeks after release of "Rebug", just to stop people using it, and have to take down the servers for this long. It just doesn't jive.

jaymo76
04-25-2011, 07:03 PM
wow. it used to be silly viruses you had to watch out for. now these kids living in the basement are just into stealing stuff.

Geesh what's with kids today. We need to get back to the morals and values of countless hours spent on internet por... er... I mean religious studies...

I OU a Beatn
04-25-2011, 07:14 PM
That was my first thought when it went down. Can you imagine how much money Sony would lose every second they left that hole open? It hasn't been wide spread til recently, so I'm pretty sure that's what got the attention of Sony and forced them to shut down the servers and perform this lengthy maintenance on the network.

jaymo76
04-25-2011, 07:21 PM
If reports of 100% online no disc games for next next gen systems is true, an event like this would be devestating. My PS3 sports gaming is my wind down time. Take that away and I would not be a happy camper. Thhe more tech advances the more tech hackers advance. That could be a scary proposition...

gschwendt
04-25-2011, 07:25 PM
If reports of 100% online no disc games for next next gen systems is true, an event like this would be devestating. My PS3 sports gaming is my winddown time. Take thqat away and I would not be a happy camper. Thhe more tech advances the more tech hackers advance. That could be a scary proposition...I don't think we'll see 100% online no-disc consoles... I honestly don't believe we'll see even a large drive towards 100% no-disc consoles. The US doesn't have the infrastructure for the internet to handle consoles that don't have disc drives. Plus I don't think the On Live service has been successful enough to tell the big 3 that the world is ready for it.

I OU a Beatn
04-25-2011, 07:31 PM
Yeah, I don't think we'll see that anytime soon, either. There's going to be a much larger emphasis on online play, but I don't think it'll be to the point that it has to be connected to even play games. I also think that even though we'll see more emphasis on hard drive storage, we're still going to be using physical media. A lot of people still want that physical product for obvious reasons - me being one of them.

jaymo76
04-25-2011, 07:32 PM
I don't think we'll see 100% online no-disc consoles... I honestly don't believe we'll see even a large drive towards 100% no-disc consoles. The US doesn't have the infrastructure for the internet to handle consoles that don't have disc drives. Plus I don't think the On Live service has been successful enough to tell the big 3 that the world is ready for it.

I don't know how fast things will advance but change is coming quickly everywhere. Last year I was chatting with one of my textbook distributors and she was telling me that the company is in year 2 of a 10 year plan to be 100% online textbook by 2019. If online increase profits say 2 fold I think the transition could be quick. Honestly, I don't want that but I guess we will have to wait and see.

psuexv
04-25-2011, 08:08 PM
I don't know how fast things will advance but change is coming quickly everywhere. Last year I was chatting with one of my textbook distributors and she was telling me that the company is in year 2 of a 10 year plan to be 100% online textbook by 2019. If online increase profits say 2 fold I think the transition could be quick. Honestly, I don't want that but I guess we will have to wait and see.

Yeah we've seen a boom in online textbooks in the past year, I say it's sooner than 2019, especially with tablets gaining popularity.

With they gaming will be there soon. I don't think you'll see where you don't play locally on your system for a long long time but 100% downloads I can see soon

JeffHCross
04-25-2011, 08:09 PM
Well, keep in mind that "no disc" would likely just mean digital distribution. I agree with G that it's not likely to happen in the next generation -- too much of America still lacks the network infrastructure to play online games on a regular basis, let alone do hundreds of megs of downloads -- but I do think it will happen at some point down the line. And in the case of something like this happening, you can still play all the titles you downloaded.

100% online won't happen for a long, long time.

I OU a Beatn
04-25-2011, 08:11 PM
100% online won't happen for a long, long time.

Probably not until online is close to 100% reliable, which as you said, is a long ways off.

ram29jackson
04-25-2011, 08:29 PM
ha

ha

morsdraconis
04-25-2011, 10:07 PM
Probably not until online is close to 100% reliable, which as you said, is a long ways off.

It is in countries named Japan, Korea, and the United Kingdom. The United States broadband service is so completely behind the world curve on broadband availability and speeds, it's disgusting. The reason? Monopolies on various regions of the US causing no solid plan for expansion of fiber across the US.

morsdraconis
04-25-2011, 10:10 PM

For one thing, it's not kids in basements. It's software engineers fuckin' around in their spare time. Believe me, these aren't little kids, these are grown men that just enjoy the challenge of hacking something.

Now, as for stealing stuff, pirating has proven to be, if nothing else, a gateway to people actually buying the product. The people that pirate things and then never buy them, most likely, weren't going to buy them to begin with.

JeffHCross
04-25-2011, 10:45 PM
It is in countries named Japan, Korea, and the United Kingdom.Right ... but until the largest audiences for gaming consoles all have that capability, you're still not going to see 100% online.

For one thing, it's not kids in basements. It's software engineers fuckin' around in their spare time. Believe me, these aren't little kids, these are grown men that just enjoy the challenge of hacking something.Agree to disagree. The majority of malicious hackers aren't professional software engineers hacking in their spare time. Some of them, maybe, but not the majority. They might be the ones freelancing and providing security assessments, but not maliciously hacking.

morsdraconis
04-25-2011, 10:55 PM
Agree to disagree. The majority of malicious hackers aren't professional software engineers hacking in their spare time. Some of them, maybe, but not the majority. They might be the ones freelancing and providing security assessments, but not maliciously hacking.

I beg to differ QUITE a bit. They might not be the ones doing "malicious" hacking, but breaking the the firmware protection of the PS3 to bring back modding capabilities was done by some professional software engineers in their spare time in Germany.

Believe me, these guys do it for the challenge of pulling it off or because they've been doing it for the hell of it for a while and just keep doing it because of the demand for it by the internet community.

There's no such thing as geeky little kids in their mom's basement as hackers anymore. Anyone that's interested can go to college, learn everything they need to know to get started there and continue to expand their knowledge through resources available on the internet or from their daily job.

gschwendt
04-26-2011, 03:24 PM
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/116/1164186p1.html

Sony said today it believes personal identification information from registered PlayStation Network users has been compromised as a result of an illegal intrusion that has shut down the service for the past week.

The company also believes PSN logins and password information may have been illegally obtained. Posted below is a statement from Patrick Seybold, Senior Director of Corporate Communications.

SmoothPancakes
04-26-2011, 03:31 PM
Jesus. It just keeps getting worse and worse for Sony.

psuexv
04-26-2011, 03:35 PM
This just keeps getting better and better

skipwondah33
04-26-2011, 03:57 PM
I started to pull a "Sony" on our network here at work today....but I decided against it :D

souljahbill
04-26-2011, 05:22 PM
Honestly, after having Netflix for 2 years now, I would LOVE to go discless. I don't want cases of games all over the place. I have 3 bins of DVD cases in my attic while I have all the discs in CD binders. If Netflix instant watch was around when I started my DVD collection, I'd have more then a few more dollars in my pocket. I know the 3 biggest issues are bandwidth, storage space, and lack of competitive pricing (Steam seems to be the only place that has good sales regularly unlike XBL/PSN). If there ever comes a day where I have more then enough local storage to download lots of large games (I don't trust clouds because you never know when the servers on their end will go down) and I can download games overnight or from work and have it waiting for me when I get home, I'll be all over just digital copies.

Marlowe
04-26-2011, 06:23 PM
found this link on another website...not saying it's true but it makes for good drama.

http://www.gamersbook.com/community/members/alizehennessy/blog/2415/EXCLUSIVE

a link to Senator Blumenthal's letter to Sony:

http://blumenthal.senate.gov/press/release/index.cfm?id=82698973-255D-4B92-9E18-39E5937C9361

JeffHCross
04-26-2011, 06:29 PM
Indeed, comments on Sony's PlayStation Facebook page suggested customers were less concerned about potential fraud than they were about the lost game time.

"I just want to play my new game," a Facebook user identifying himself as Ryan Knight wrote on Sony's page.
Idiots.

found this link on another website...not saying it's true but it makes for good drama. That's hilarious -- especially if it was true. Sadly I know some corporate people that would think exactly like that.

CLW
04-26-2011, 06:58 PM
found this link on another website...not saying it's true but it makes for good drama.

http://www.gamersbook.com/community/members/alizehennessy/blog/2415/EXCLUSIVE

a link to Senator Blumenthal's letter to Sony:

http://blumenthal.senate.gov/press/release/index.cfm?id=82698973-255D-4B92-9E18-39E5937C9361

Damn it with Blumenthal anti-Sony I guess I have to be pro-Sony now. Damn partisanship :smh:

I OU a Beatn
04-26-2011, 07:09 PM
This is ridiculous. Sony, get your shit together. Not only have you gone all casual with your ex-awesome first party exclusives, but now you've allowed potentially tens of millions of customers to be targets of identity fraud.

Side note: good thing I used prepaid cards. Never did trust Sony's online infrastructure, and now I know why. :D

JeffHCross
04-26-2011, 07:26 PM
Damn it with Blumenthal anti-Sony I guess I have to be pro-Sony now. Damn partisanship :smh:It's partisan, sure, and an obvious political play. But I can't disagree with anything in his letter.

Especially about footing the cost for credit reporting. Sony better be planning on that or this is going to get even worse for them.

ram29jackson
04-26-2011, 08:44 PM
i'm not amused

ram29jackson
04-27-2011, 12:13 AM
just got the memo/email

I OU a Beatn
04-27-2011, 12:30 AM
I FREAKIN' DIDN'T. That proves it! Sony never sends me any emails except store purchase confirmations. Horse shit.

souljahbill
04-27-2011, 05:40 AM
I FREAKIN' DIDN'T. That proves it! Sony never sends me any emails except store purchase confirmations. Horse shit.

Patience, Grasshopper.

psusnoop
04-27-2011, 12:29 PM
http://technology.gather.com/viewArticle.action?articleId=281474979268196

PS3 PlayStation Network Down Update: Rebuild to Include Awesome Features?
April 27, 2011 10:35 AM EDT

With the PS3 PlayStation network down, a "massive update" from the rebuild may offer some added features for PSN co-op players online. Perhaps this will appease members whose accounts fell to hackers.

Making up is hard to do, right? Sony Corp. is banking on it not being that tough of a task as it attempts to rebuild its crippled network forced down following an "external intrusion."

The public now knows that is just corporate-speak, and is a fancy word for "hacked." You hear about this daily; it's the cost of doing business.

Detalle botones DualShock 3However, when a company like Sony conceals the data breach from the PS3 co-op players on the PSN, it sends ripples of anger and raises red flags.

Following the announcement on April 26 from Sony Corp. to the public that a data breach exposed their personal information to a hacker, the company is struggling to repair its torn image.

How will it manage that task?

According to CVG, after the PS3 PlayStation network down nightmare, Sony may dangle some carrots in the faces of co-op players affected by the "external intrusion."

What does this mean to members of the PSN subject to identity theft? According to a respected forum poster aka Sony insider, after the rebuild and update, features like video chat and cross-game chat is part of the "we're sorry" campaign.

"As we are rebuilding the network, we are taking into consideration in implementing features such as cross game chat and in-game video chat to name a few," the supposed employee said.

Not so fast PS3 players; this information has not been confirmed by Sony Corp. as part of the rebuild. Up to this point, the company only indicated the revamp includes added security features.

On the surface, with the PS3 PlayStation network down for over one week, it certainly makes sense for Sony to appease its 77 million subscribers lest risk loss of market share to Microsoft's Xbox LIVE.

I OU a Beatn
04-27-2011, 12:40 PM
So...after years and years and years of asking for party/cross game chat, it takes a system wide network meltdown for them to actually give them to us? That sounds extremely far fetched. I sincerely hope it is, because if that's true, I might have a little flip out.

Of course, on the other hand, if implementing that kind of technology on PSN meant a few days down time, why not do it when you had to take the Network down anyway?

Regardless, until I read an official statement from Sony, I find it very hard to believe. "Sorry to those tens of millions of people who potentially have to deal with identity theft, but here's this long awaited feature you've been waiting for." :D

JBHuskers
04-27-2011, 01:24 PM
Sony Sued for PSN Security Breach (http://ps3.ign.com/articles/116/1164392p1.html)

skipwondah33
04-27-2011, 01:25 PM
It kind of makes since that they would do it that way.

I know when I take our network down for maintenance I do everything all at once while it is down, ie adding, removing or install security patches.

So I can see them saying "well hell while it is down we might as well put in these features even thought we were trying to hold off on it" lol

skipwondah33
04-27-2011, 01:26 PM
Sony Sued for PSN Security Breach (http://ps3.ign.com/articles/116/1164392p1.html)

Knew it was coming

ram29jackson
04-27-2011, 01:27 PM
cross game chat ? what does that mean ?
you can already talk to the guy you are playing with a headset , so.. I dont get it ?

I OU a Beatn
04-27-2011, 01:28 PM
cross game chat ? what does that mean ?
you can already talk to the guy you are playing with a headset , so.. I dont get it ?

Only if you're playing the same game. On 360, you can talk to whoever, whenever regardless of whether they're doing the same thing as you or not.

SmoothPancakes
04-27-2011, 01:42 PM
Only if you're playing the same game. On 360, you can talk to whoever, whenever regardless of whether they're doing the same thing as you or not.

This. I can be playing, NCAA Football, for example, while my friend is watching a movie or playing Tiger Woods or some other game, and we can be in a party chatting with each other the entire time. Or, on occasion, I'll be in a party with 5, 6+ friends, all of us in completely different games, just sitting there bullshitting the entire time while playing.

gschwendt
04-27-2011, 01:46 PM
That or you could both be playing the same game, just not IN the same game so say you're playing an NCAA Football OD game against the CPU and your buddy is recruiting. You can bullshit back and forth with each other.

SmoothPancakes
04-27-2011, 01:52 PM
That or you could both be playing the same game, just not IN the same game so say you're playing an NCAA Football OD game against the CPU and your buddy is recruiting. You can bullshit back and forth with each other.

That too. I definitely couldn't think of playing and gaming without cross-game chatting. I can't believe PSN still doesn't have it.

ram29jackson
04-27-2011, 02:04 PM
That too. I definitely couldn't think of playing and gaming without cross-game chatting. I can't believe PSN still doesn't have it.

thats great but I dont have real friends I play with anyway....

and it takes from my concentration on the game haha.

psn never had it, but psn doesnt charge for online like xbox360 does...

at least I've never bought anything with a credit card on PSN, so I feel I have less to worry about ...?

CLW
04-27-2011, 02:05 PM

Knew it was coming

Indeed. The biggest surprise is that it took a week.

I OU a Beatn
04-27-2011, 02:34 PM
This. I can be playing, NCAA Football, for example, while my friend is watching a movie or playing Tiger Woods or some other game, and we can be in a party chatting with each other the entire time. Or, on occasion, I'll be in a party with 5, 6+ friends, all of us in completely different games, just sitting there bullshitting the entire time while playing.

Precisely why 99% of my time is spent on 360 over PS3. That's what Sony doesn't get. People want to be able to chat with friends regardless of what they're doing. People want to easily be able to invite their friends into games and not have to go through some over complicating and slow system to do it. You can definitely tell that the PS3 was most definitely made with single player offline games in mind.

Of course, it has it's draw backs. I know for a fact I'd do 100x better on my games if I wasn't listening to girl problems in both of my ears. :D

SmoothPancakes
04-27-2011, 03:34 PM
psn never had it, but psn doesnt charge for online like xbox360 does...

Neither does Xbox 360, for me. ;)

Nothing beats having your sister and her fiancé get you a 12 month gold card every year for Christmas. I've never had to spend a single cent on Xbox Live Gold over the past 2+ years, and I'm set clear through March 2012 so far.

JBHuskers
04-27-2011, 03:48 PM
http://c0013743.cdn1.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com/x2_5c0abd9

ram29jackson
04-27-2011, 05:26 PM
http://c0013743.cdn1.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com/x2_5c0abd93

its always been $299 anyway haha- at least -best buy- was giving away $50 gift cards for buying it.

and why,..if they're not backwards compatible is the command/icon still there to be clicked on and save a memory card ?

gschwendt
04-27-2011, 05:40 PM
and why,..if they're not backwards compatible is the command/icon still there to be clicked on and save a memory card ?
Because all PS3s can play PS1 games... only the original ones can play PS2 games.

ram29jackson
04-27-2011, 05:46 PM
Because all PS3s can play PS1 games... only the original ones can play PS2 games.

hardly anyone gives a hang about ps1 games, I would think ? just sad,dangit, just sad

gschwendt
04-27-2011, 06:03 PM
hardly anyone gives a hang about ps1 games, I would think ? just sad,dangit, just sad
Yeah, but when it takes almost nothing to add it to the console, why not just include it. To add PS2 games though, they have specific additional hardware which obviously costs additional money for little return. Rumors have suggested possible software emulation in the works but who knows if that ever happens.

gschwendt
04-27-2011, 07:43 PM
Q&A for PSN outage (http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/04/27/qa-1-for-playstation-network-and-qriocity-services/)

Q: When will the PlayStation Network and Qriocity be back online?
A: Our employees have been working day and night to restore operations as quickly as possible, and we expect to have some services up and running within a week from yesterday. However, we want to be very clear that we will only restore operations when we are confident that the network is secure.

jaymo76
04-27-2011, 08:20 PM
Read an article in the local paper today about hundreds of people cancelling their credit cards due to the fear that their info has been scooped. Apparently one of the local card reps have a PS3 option now for the phone menu.

JeffHCross
04-27-2011, 08:48 PM
I FREAKIN' DIDN'T. That proves it! Sony never sends me any emails except store purchase confirmations. Horse shit.Yes, because 70 million e-mails send instantaneously. I didn't get the e-mail until 9pm.

EDIT: FWIW, I still haven't received an e-mail on my second account.

Read an article in the local paper today about hundreds of people cancelling their credit cards due to the fear that their info has been scooped.Yeah, local news was suggesting people cancel their credit cards that were on PSN. Overreaction for the win!

I OU a Beatn
04-27-2011, 09:44 PM
I wont get it. Bet me. I haven't received an email from Sony in months, possibly over a year. The absolutely only thing I ever get is store purchase confirmations.

JBHuskers
04-27-2011, 11:54 PM
Yes, because 70 million e-mails send instantaneously. I didn't get the e-mail until 9pm.

EDIT: FWIW, I still haven't received an e-mail on my second account.

Yeah, local news was suggesting people cancel their credit cards that were on PSN. Overreaction for the win!

I only have my debit card on my system....and watch it daily, so I'm not worried.

CLW
04-28-2011, 06:26 AM
Got my e-mails late last night. I'm not worried either. I monitor my accounts daily (mint.com - is a GREAT budgeting/financial site to help you keep organized for free). I also check my credit report once per year.

psusnoop
04-28-2011, 07:15 AM
I'm like JB and use my check card, not worried really.

lilheavy
04-28-2011, 09:32 AM

its always been $299 anyway haha

Read the little part to the left of the ps3 :up: Not sure if you purposely missed the joke on that pic or not. Disregard if you were. :P
:)):)):))

skipwondah33
04-28-2011, 09:57 AM
I've received two random friend type requests the last two days on my yahoo email account that I used for my PSN.

Oddly enough the 5-6 years or so I've had this account that has never happened lol

JBHuskers
04-28-2011, 10:20 AM
http://c0013743.cdn1.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com/x2_5c0abd9

Read the little part to the left of the ps3 :up: Not sure if you purposely missed the joke on that pic or not. Disregard if you were. :P
:)):)):))

I was wondering if Ram missed the joke too :D

steelerfan
04-28-2011, 10:59 AM
I wont get it. Bet me. I haven't received an email from Sony in months, possibly over a year. The absolutely only thing I ever get is store purchase confirmations.

I didn't get the email until 10:38 last night. I'm always getting them a few days after others at TGT say they got it. I'm sure, of the 77 million subscribers, you're being singled out though. Rather than saying "Bet me", you should be playing Power Ball. ;) :D

I OU a Beatn
04-28-2011, 11:25 AM
I'm not saying I'm being singled out. I posted another time here that I never ever got emails from Sony. I don't know if it's a glitch in their system or what, but there's other people that have the same exact problem. I even requested a "Forgot Password" email several times just to test it and never got a single one.

The deal still stands, I'll bet any amount of money because I'm 100% sure I'm not getting it. :D

JBHuskers
04-28-2011, 12:23 PM
From a blog last night, it looks like there isn't any evidence that credit card info was taken. It's a possibility, but at least on the surface, they found no evidence of it.

I OU a Beatn
04-28-2011, 12:26 PM
Yeah, apparently there's going to be a firmware update whenever it comes back up that makes everyone change their password.

CLW
04-28-2011, 12:30 PM
Yeah, apparently there's going to be a firmware update whenever it comes back up that makes everyone change their password.

Yeah I figured that was a GIVEN.

Sounds good but strikes me as odd that Hackers would steal the personal info but NOT credit card info.

JBHuskers
04-28-2011, 12:38 PM
Yeah I figured that was a GIVEN.

Sounds good but strikes me as odd that Hackers would steal the personal info but NOT credit card info.

Different types of access....maybe Sony actually had the CC info really protected?

I OU a Beatn
04-28-2011, 12:40 PM
Credit card info was encrypted. User information was not. I'm guessing that's the difference.

ryby6969
04-28-2011, 12:41 PM
I am not a lawyer, but wouldn't hacking CC information make this a much larger crime? I understand hacking is more than likely a federal crime to start with, but taking CC information could possibly turn a crime with 2-3 year jail time into much more.(CLW, this is your area)

ram29jackson
04-28-2011, 03:13 PM
I was wondering if Ram missed the joke too :D

no, I did read it early on. But I was still cross referencing the serious aspect of buying a ps3 and not knowing this as it was.

i never bought anything through ps3 anyway

JBHuskers
04-28-2011, 03:23 PM
I am not a lawyer, but wouldn't hacking CC information make this a much larger crime? I understand hacking is more than likely a federal crime to start with, but taking CC information could possibly turn a crime with 2-3 year jail time into much more.(CLW, this is your area)

...but did you stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night?

CLW
04-28-2011, 03:56 PM
Different types of access....maybe Sony actually had the CC info really protected?

Credit card info was encrypted. User information was not. I'm guessing that's the difference.

Good point. I guess I just assumed when the hacked story came out it meant that the hackers literally hacked through everything.

I'm not sure if hacking the CC information ALONE would make it a larger crime. Now using that info and buying things with those CC #s (credit card fraud) and/or using that info to to get additional credit off of someone else (identity theft) would CERTAINLY up the criminal penalty.

However, the hackers that stole this info could allready be facing SERIOUS time. I mean how many MILLION people did they still private information from? Criminal/cyber law is not my thing but I gotta think that millions of counts of the theft of that info would lead to a lengthy time in Federal Prison. I think its telling that Anon (or whoever did it) isn't claiming responsibility this time b/c the person(s) responsible know they will become someone's you know what in prison if/when they are caught.

CLW
04-28-2011, 03:59 PM
Update:

In an official statement on the debacle, Sony advised caution, stating "If you have provided your credit card data through PlayStation Network or Qriocity, out of an abundance of caution we are advising you that your credit card number (excluding security code) and expiration date may have been obtained."

Sony has since clarified its word of warning by revealing that the credit card data saved on the network was encrypted. By encrypting the data, the credit card information saved within the PSN would have been stored as an unreadable file, only translatable by Sony's transaction system.

While the card data did include an extra layer of security, it's impossible to confirm how much the intruders knew about Sony's payment software. If they were skilled enough to breach the network to begin with, they may also have knowledge of the encryption system. Because of this, Sony is still advising extreme caution and strict monitoring of any financial accounts associated with the PlayStation Network.
To ensure your accounts and identity are secure, take a look at our guide to protecting yourself from PSN data breach (http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/yblog_technews/tc_yblog_technews/storytext/playstation-network-credit-card-data-was-encrypted-sony-still-advises-caution/41256215/SIG=11vnr3fbr/*http://www.tecca.com/news/2011/04/26/psn-account-compromised/).

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_technews/20110428/tc_yblog_technews/playstation-network-credit-card-data-was-encrypted-sony-still-advises-caution

Basically, noone (other than the hacker(s)) know WTF happened (or at least they aren't saying publically). I gotta think that Sony would say the CC #s were obtained if they knew it. #1 PR hit if/when it is later found out they knew but didn't immediately say. #2 HUGE legal ramifications (both civil litigation and possibly criminal penalties/fines from governments) if they lied about this.

ryby6969
04-28-2011, 04:01 PM
Well, I know first hand that they got CC info. My mother in law had her card used and they racked up over $8,000 on it in 1 day. She had used it for my sister in law's PS3.

ram29jackson
04-28-2011, 04:06 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yl3UMO-TkE

CLW
04-28-2011, 04:09 PM
Well, I know first hand that they got CC info. My mother in law had her card used and they racked up over $8,000 on it in 1 day. She had used it for my sister in law's PS3.

Wow. I assume this story is just at the tip of the iceberg then. Sony could be in deep [CENSORED] if their CC encryption wasn't up to snuff.

Your mother-in-law should contact the Feds and the Credit reporting agencies and put her accounts on Fraud Alert (or whatever the official title is) so as to not screw up her credit.

CLW
04-28-2011, 04:15 PM
Man I cannot for the life of me remember my PSN password and if it is the same as my other "important" passwords. I guess to be safe I should change all of my passwords.

The SAW trap I previously posted in this thread wouldn't be justice for what these [CENSORED] have done. They better have been good/careful b/c if this thing blows up it won't be long until the Feds find them.

ryby6969
04-28-2011, 04:23 PM
The thing that gets me is that she only found out because she tried to use it at the grocery store and it was declined. She called the next day to find out why, and they told her she had exceeded her limit. She got the CC company to get rid of the charges so she should be all good.

CLW
04-28-2011, 04:40 PM
The thing that gets me is that she only found out because she tried to use it at the grocery store and it was declined. She called the next day to find out why, and they told her she had exceeded her limit. She got the CC company to get rid of the charges so she should be all good.

Yeah but if they got her CC# there is a good chance they could continue to try to make charges on it or worse get another account using her credit and max it out too w/o her knowledge.

HuskerBlitz
04-28-2011, 08:45 PM
We use a pre-paid card for all PSN purchases to I'm not worried about the card info.

I'm not worth anything so my personal info isn't much of a concern either. :D :smh:

Kingpin32
04-28-2011, 09:58 PM
I just warned my mom about it, since she has been the only person to buy something on my PSN.

skipwondah33
04-28-2011, 10:20 PM
I don't understand how you can use a card without the 3-digit CSV number on the back of the card.

Kingpin32
04-29-2011, 12:06 AM
I don't understand how you can use a card without the 3-digit CSV number on the back of the card.

I've noticed that some websites don't ask for that number. But if you're gonna hack for CC info, I'm sure you're gonna know ways to use it without it.

JBHuskers
04-29-2011, 01:28 AM

In my case my PS3 was stolen. I thought Sony locked out the system from going online when I reported it stolen (since I had the serial number from the box)....but no dice, charges kept coming up. But with the Visa Check Card, it was easy to get those charges back, just a pain in the ass to wait two weeks without a debit card.

skipwondah33
04-29-2011, 08:56 AM
I've noticed that some websites don't ask for that number. But if you're gonna hack for CC info, I'm sure you're gonna know ways to use it without it.

True, thats weird every website that I purchase from asks me for that unless I already have my card stored.

In my case my PS3 was stolen. I thought Sony locked out the system from going online when I reported it stolen (since I had the serial number from the box)....but no dice, charges kept coming up. But with the Visa Check Card, it was easy to get those charges back, just a pain in the ass to wait two weeks without a debit card.

That sucks. Yeah since the info is stored you don't need anything but to say "add funds" or whatever and it lets you keep purchasing. Wonder why there was no way to lock that down specifially?

JBHuskers
04-29-2011, 10:00 AM
True, thats weird every website that I purchase from asks me for that unless I already have my card stored.

That sucks. Yeah since the info is stored you don't need anything but to say "add funds" or whatever and it lets you keep purchasing. Wonder why there was no way to lock that down specifially?

According to Sony they could lock my stolen one down from getting online....whoever I talked to didn't follow through with that apparantly.

JBHuskers
04-29-2011, 11:36 AM
From thatgamrgrl.com, looks like we get it back Monday or Tuesday.

http://www.thatgamrgrl.com/#!games/vstc1=latest-news

CLW
04-29-2011, 11:52 AM
From thatgamrgrl.com, looks like we get it back Monday or Tuesday.

http://www.thatgamrgrl.com/#!games/vstc1=latest-news

Sounds good. Hope you PS+ peeps get something nice for the loss of your paid subscription.

JBHuskers
04-29-2011, 12:22 PM
Sounds good. Hope you PS+ peeps get something nice for the loss of your paid subscription.

Same goes for the $99 I spent on MLB.TV

JBHuskers
04-29-2011, 12:30 PM
I submitted an e-mail to Sony regarding both Playstation Plus and MLB....will see if they respond. They are usually good to respond, and currently they say the turnaround time is 11-23 hours.

CLW
04-29-2011, 12:53 PM
Same goes for the $99 I spent on MLB.TV

I submitted an e-mail to Sony regarding both Playstation Plus and MLB....will see if they respond. They are usually good to respond, and currently they say the turnaround time is 11-23 hours.

Yeah they almost "have" to do something for EVERYONE. IMHO (no PR background but just using some common sense) they should: (1) Give all + Subscribers an additional month on their PS+ accounts; (2) Reimburse/credit the accounts of a month's worth of the cost for any members who paid for other subscriptions: (a) Netflix; (b) MLB.tv; etc... (3) Give us regular PSN members a free one month trial of PS+.

I think that would subdue most of the "logical anger" people have. Some people will try to abuse it and look for $100,000,000,000 in damages. Those customers can simply not be pleased and are just always looking for a way to angle for some $. What I am asking for sure isn't cheap but it would restore some "Good Will" that was lost b/c of this.

JBHuskers
04-29-2011, 12:58 PM
Yeah that's right....I have Netflix too, but can go to my 360 so that is why I didn't think of putting it in my e-mail.

I was nice in the e-mail so I am sure I will get some generic response.

I OU a Beatn
04-29-2011, 01:35 PM
Give me cross game party chat and auto-synchronizing trophies and I'll forget this ever happened.

JBHuskers
04-29-2011, 02:01 PM
Give me cross game party chat and auto-synchronizing trophies and I'll forget this ever happened.

CLW
04-29-2011, 02:21 PM

I suspect that only works for us trophy whores here at TGT. I suspect the masses would want free stuff + that.

JBHuskers
04-29-2011, 02:29 PM
I just want party chat because the mics for Tiger have been f'd up for years.

UGA14
04-29-2011, 03:01 PM
This hacking can fall under cyberterrorism for a number of reasons, and also if these rumors are true of hackers attempting to sell back the credit card information to Sony, cyberextortion, which falls under cyberterrorism. There's federal sentencing guidelines, ~10 years. The biggest issue becomes how much monetary damage are they causing Sony (there's no doubt it breaks the threshold) to fall under the USA PATRIOT Act.

Will it ever be pursued that far, who knows, but there's no doubt Sony will go do their best to trace it down and use the FBI or equivalent law enforcement in that nation to go after the persons to the fullest extent of the law (which in the case of Pakistan is the death penalty).

UGA14
04-29-2011, 03:03 PM
I also find it hard to believe we've not seen or heard of any reports of anyone's CC information being used, other than a forum. They stole data to 70 million accounts... what are the odds yours is the one they use, and it just so happens to come out on a forum first? If these are supposedly encrypted the way Sony says they are, I'm not at all sure they would already be able to decrypt them. I've yet to cancel my debit card and I'd rather not have to do it, I will be moving a large sum of my money to my credit union, however.

ram29jackson
04-29-2011, 04:04 PM
send all of us headsets or blue-tooths

Kingpin32
04-29-2011, 04:35 PM
This hacking can fall under cyberterrorism for a number of reasons, and also if these rumors are true of hackers attempting to sell back the credit card information to Sony, cyberextortion, which falls under cyberterrorism. There's federal sentencing guidelines, ~10 years. The biggest issue becomes how much monetary damage are they causing Sony (there's no doubt it breaks the threshold) to fall under the USA PATRIOT Act.

Will it ever be pursued that far, who knows, but there's no doubt Sony will go do their best to trace it down and use the FBI or equivalent law enforcement in that nation to go after the persons to the fullest extent of the law (which in the case of Pakistan is the death penalty).

If the hackers aren't based in America, do our laws have an effect on them? I ask because this was a global hacking not just only in America. Who would be the country to prosecute them if they catch them?

Kingpin32
04-29-2011, 04:36 PM
send all of us headsets or blue-tooths

That's 77 million headsets. I don't think that'll be happening, they had a hard enough time sending 77 million emails.

CLW
04-29-2011, 04:53 PM
NYT is reporting hackers want $100K for all of our CC/Debit Card data

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/04/28/hackers-claim-to-have-playstation-users-card-data/

I hope Sony has hired some mercenaries to take these fuckers out and gut them in front of their wives/husbands/boyfriends/girlfriends/parents.

UGA14
04-29-2011, 05:10 PM
for US Laws to be applied the country would have to agree to extradite them.

Also, in regards to the extortion, which can cause this to be classified as cyberterrorism, what I heard was 2 million European credit cards.. but this was all denied by Sony and outside of musings on forums really hasn't gained any real proof or traction.

psuexv
04-29-2011, 05:23 PM
Ummmm .... All they want is 100k? Who is the hacker Dr. Evil?

SmoothPancakes
04-29-2011, 05:29 PM
Ummmm .... All they want is 100k? Who is the hacker Dr. Evil?

:D I was wondering the same thing. Did they get their zeros mixed up? Leave a couple of them off the paper?

UGA14
04-29-2011, 05:30 PM
If the hackers aren't based in America, do our laws have an effect on them? I ask because this was a global hacking not just only in America. Who would be the country to prosecute them if they catch them?

Could depend where the servers are... if what they hacked is in Japan perhaps they'd go after them in Japan, but they affected US Customers as well, which means they've broken US Law, so if they can extradite them they'll probably chase them to the US.

psuexv
04-29-2011, 05:40 PM
"Yeah but the Chinese won't extradite one of their own" but Batman doesn't have a jurisdiction