PDA

View Full Version : The Return Game

umhester04
06-26-2011, 09:37 PM
Everybody knows the return game is a huge part of college football. I was just wondering for anyone that has played the game to let us know if the return game is actually worth attempting this year. Last year's game both gunners got down the field in .7 seconds and basically every single return was the same thing over and over again. It was pointless to even play the punt return. Kick returns were a little better but still there is no variety. Every KR has the return man just running into a pile of bodies which does happen in real life, just not every single return.

Basically what I wanted to know is if there are more lanes in the return game for better return opportunities? It is fun actually having to recruit guys specifically for returning kicks/punts, as teams do it in college football all the time.

kindella2
06-27-2011, 09:04 AM
I dont think we will be able to fully confirm that until the retail comes out BUT in looking at the game play videos provided it seemed like returns have been improved to give the returner a greater chance at taking one to the house.

AustinWolv
06-27-2011, 09:31 AM
KR definitely looked a little more open than last year in some videos that came out. I'm blanking right now on how PR looked. Hopefully we find out tomorrow night that it is a bit more refined.

kindella2
06-27-2011, 09:59 AM
I really cant wait for the demo i hope its close to the final build.

Gotmadskillzson
06-27-2011, 01:29 PM
Demo is no where near the final build. Demo got submitted at the end of April, early May time frame. Build got changed a few times since then when EA had their last community day near the end of May.

But other then that, I do hope they improved the return game. There needs to be better blocking and lane assignment. In NCAA 11 players ran through blocks on kick coverage with ease. Plus on top of that locomotion seemed to be non existent on special teams. Defenders were able to change directions at full speed and basically mirrored every move you did at full speed.

That was unrealistic. Out of all the years of dynasties I played since release day of last year, nobody in the season out of 120 schools ever had more then 2 KRs for a TD and no more then 4 PRs for a TD in a single season. Very unrealistic.

Same thing with punt blocks and FG blocks. Out all the many years of dynasty, I never had a punt blocked, blocked a punt, blocked a FG, had a FG blocked.

umhester04
06-27-2011, 02:56 PM
Guys, illwill posted a video on operationsports of the aggies and LSU and the punt returns on there looked like the gunners definitely do NOT get downfield as fast as last years game. There were 2 great opportunities for returns on punts. Kicks still look iffy like your just running into everybody in the middle of the field but punts do look better.

AustinWolv
06-27-2011, 03:03 PM
Hey, just saw that video too, and I agree. There was definitely a bit of room to get started and make a move on PR. KR looked pretty much the same, but I recall seeing an earlier raw unedited video were the KR looked more open than in the LSU/TXAM video.

WarEagle
06-27-2011, 03:24 PM
Demo is no where near the final build. Demo got submitted at the end of April, early May time frame. Build got changed a few times since then when EA had their last community day near the end of May.

But other then that, I do hope they improved the return game. There needs to be better blocking and lane assignment. In NCAA 11 players ran through blocks on kick coverage with ease. Plus on top of that locomotion seemed to be non existent on special teams. Defenders were able to change directions at full speed and basically mirrored every move you did at full speed.

That was unrealistic. Out of all the years of dynasties I played since release day of last year, nobody in the season out of 120 schools ever had more then 2 KRs for a TD and no more then 4 PRs for a TD in a single season. Very unrealistic.

Same thing with punt blocks and FG blocks. Out all the many years of dynasty, I never had a punt blocked, blocked a punt, blocked a FG, had a FG blocked.

I'm sure it must be different w/ user v. user games. I need to go check the characteristics of the PR for my team but in 25+ seasons he's the best I've ever had in my offline dynasty team, playing A-A with (I forget whose) sliders. A So. HB 4th on my depth chart, he's run back 7 PR for TDs, had 3 called back b/c of penalties (gee, what a surprise, eh?), and has 2 KR for TDs (though I didn't think the AI would/could do this, he doesn't get kicked at hardly at all now). Besides his characteristics I read someone's advice here in another thread to switch out the two inside blockers on the gunners to LBs or TEs with good RBL (or IBL maybe). Seems to help just for that one extra moment in trying to find the room to evade the unreal gunners.
As for punt blocks, I've got 2 this year. Of course not using Punt Block formation, though. Both have come on the--presumably!--last play of the 2nd qtr when the punt team is letting the play clock wind down to :01. I've timed a running start and gotten to the punter 2x.