PDA

View Full Version : 2011 US Open

SmoothPancakes
06-17-2011, 05:26 AM
Anyone else watch the first round yesterday? Quite a few story lines throughout the day. Rory McIlroy with a great round in his first major since the Masters collapse. Hit 17 of 18 greens and was the only person in the entire 156-man field to not record a single bogey.

The top three in the world, Luke Donald (+3), Lee Westwood (+4), and Martin Kaymer (+3), all combined for 10 over par in their first rounds. Lefty lived up to his nickname, as Phil SHANKED a number of tee shots, including the 14th hole, where he shanked it horribly to the left, into the ass high weeds. He even said "oh no!" seconds after he teed off, knowing instantly he was screwed.

Another hole, he ended up in the woods, had to use his driver and hit a line drive shot to stay underneath and rocket past three trees that were in his way. On the 8th hole, his ball actually ended up in a bunker on the wrong hole. His very first shot of the day, starting off on the par 3 10th hole, his ball went for a swim. And yet, he somehow managed to only end up +3 for the day.

Masters champion Charl Schwartzel at -3, tied for second with 2009 PGA Championship champion Y.E. Yang. Open Championship champion Louis Oosthuizen tied for 4th at -1 with five others, including Ryan Palmer and Sergio Garcia. Then you got Stewart Cink, Davis Love III, Brandt Snedeker, Henrik Stenson, and defending US Open champion Graeme McDowell all among twelve players tied for 10th.

This is definitely looking to be an exciting next three days. Some major questions still unanswered. Will Phil figure out what the hell he's doing wrong and stop horribly shanking his tee shots? Will Donald, Westwood, or Kaymer turn it around and get out of their ties for 62nd and 84th place? Will Rory build on his lead and have another monster round, as well, does he carry this huge first day through the entire tournament on his way to contention of a US Open title, or does the collapse at the Masters come back to haunt him and we witness another crash and burn?

And for those interested in the day one highlights, here's a 4 minute highlight's video on EPSN, including the worst of the worst from Sir Shanks-a-Lot, aka Phil Mickelson.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=6670845

JBHuskers
06-17-2011, 08:19 AM
Nah won't get to til Saturday. Congressional will turn into a bitch, I bet only 0-3 people finish under par.

psusnoop
06-17-2011, 08:31 AM
Tomorrow and Sunday will be very fun to watch for sure. The plots are just beginning in this one, love it.

SmoothPancakes
06-17-2011, 09:02 AM
Looks like Rory's trying to keep this going. He sank an eagle 2 a couple minutes ago to move to -10 for the tournament, -4 for the day so far, becoming only the 5th person ever to be -10 or more at any point during the US Open, lowest ever is -12.

SmoothPancakes
06-17-2011, 09:06 AM
And after managing to sink three birdies in four holes to get back to even par, Lefty is yet again living up to his nickname. Just shanked a shot from a the fairway, way off to the left all the way into the trees, where it ended up bouncing on to the practice pitching area. :fp:

JBHuskers
06-17-2011, 09:54 AM
Robert Rock's story is f'n amazing. He's a European, and didn't get his passport until Tuesday due to some delay. Didn't get into Bethesda until midnight on Thursday, so he didn't get to see the course at all, no practice rounds, and came out and shot a -1 yesterday...

JBHuskers
06-17-2011, 09:55 AM
And after managing to sink three birdies in four holes to get back to even par, Lefty is yet again living up to his nickname. Just shanked a shot from a the fairway, way off to the left all the way into the trees, where it ended up bouncing on to the practice pitching area. :fp:

Yeah the course is going to turn by mid-afternoon I predict, don't be surprised if Rory gets another 80 on the card. I'm not rooting for it cuz I really like the guy, but I'm just not holding my breath on this one.

SmoothPancakes
06-17-2011, 11:02 AM
Yeah the course is going to turn by mid-afternoon I predict, don't be surprised if Rory gets another 80 on the card. I'm not rooting for it cuz I really like the guy, but I'm just not holding my breath on this one.

If it happens, it won't be until tomorrow. Rory currently sitting at -11, -5 for today, thru 15. And he still has not had a single bogey this entire tournament so far. He was the only player in the entire tournament to not have a bogey after day one, and still sitting there at 33 holes, without a bogey. He is just killing it right now.

And agreed Robert Rock. An absolutely amazing story and definitely pulling for him to finish high on the final leaderboard.

JBHuskers
06-17-2011, 11:08 AM
If it happens, it won't be until tomorrow. Rory currently sitting at -11, -5 for today, thru 15. And he still has not had a single bogey this entire tournament so far. He was the only player in the entire tournament to not have a bogey after day one, and still sitting there at 33 holes, without a bogey. He is just killing it right now.

And agreed Robert Rock. An absolutely amazing story and definitely pulling for him to finish high on the final leaderboard.

Yeah it can turn in the afternoon, but Rory will already be in the clubhouse.

JBHuskers
06-17-2011, 11:09 AM
I think Rory went to Geico and bought 80 insurance. That way if he shoots an 80, he will still be in good shape :D

SmoothPancakes
06-17-2011, 11:40 AM
And we have a new all time low in the US Open, at any point of any of the four rounds. Rory just sank a great birdie putt to move to -13.

Previous low was Tiger Woods in 2000 and Gil Morgan in 1992 both at 12 under.

Only five players in US Open history have ever had a score of 10 under or better at any given point of the tournament. Rory, Tiger in 2000, Gil Morgan in 1992, Jim Furyk in 2003 (-11) and Ricky Barnes in 2009 (-11).

SmoothPancakes
06-17-2011, 11:41 AM
I think Rory went to Geico and bought 80 insurance. That way if he shoots an 80, he will still be in good shape :D

If Rory collapses from what is currently a 10 stroke lead, good lord, he is just not meant to ever win a major. :smh:

SmoothPancakes
06-17-2011, 11:59 AM
And there is Rory's first mistake of the tournament. Tried to make it to the green from his bad tee shot on 18, came up too far left and rolled off the hill and into the water. Had made it 35 consecutive holes without a bogey.

And Mickelson, my god, he almost had an INCREDIBLE shot from way back in the crowd section. That thing rocketed out below the trees, and carried like a demon down the fairway, only to end up rolling and bouncing onto the left side, and eventually rolled itself right off the fairway and into the water.

JBHuskers
06-17-2011, 12:24 PM
You know bad things come in threes.....LeBron, Luongo.....McIlroy?

SmoothPancakes
06-17-2011, 12:34 PM
You know bad things come in threes.....LeBron, Luongo.....McIlroy?

Well Rory's safe there then. We already have three. LeBron, Luongo, the Cubs, who are bad all year round. :D

JBHuskers
06-17-2011, 12:34 PM
Well Rory's safe there then. We already have three. LeBron, Luongo, the Cubs, who are bad all year round. :D

:smh:

JBHuskers
06-18-2011, 02:50 PM
NBC is doing their best to jinx Rory :D

JBHuskers
06-18-2011, 03:28 PM
Garrigus uses a 28 inch putter :D :D stole it from a little kid I think.

JBHuskers
06-18-2011, 03:33 PM
McIlroy keeps flip flopping on steady and teetering early on in round 3.

SmoothPancakes
06-18-2011, 05:51 PM
Looks like Rory's got himself back into steady. He had only his second bogey of the tournament on hole 10, but instantly turned around and birdied hole 11. We have definitely not seen a new record yet set. -13 is only a temporary place marker for lowest score at any point of the tournament.

And, based on where Rory is right now, if he plays a simple 1 under these last holes that he has, Rory will break the US Open record (yet another one) for lowest score after 54 holes, which is currently 200, set by Jim Furyk back in 2003.

SmoothPancakes
06-18-2011, 05:59 PM
And we have yet another US Open record by Rory, now -14 for the tournament. I'm guessing that will only last a hole or two before it increases to -15. :D