PDA

View Full Version : Collector's Edition

Rudy
06-01-2011, 06:08 AM
Madden has announced a HOF edition of Madden for $99.99 which many people think is too pricey for what you get. EA seems intent on squeezing as much profit out of every game with in game ads, DLC, a new subscription service and now HOF or collector's editions. But why haven't they cashed in on the hardcore fans' desire to get the game early?

On the 360, Madden 11 (http://gamrreview.vgchartz.com/sales/43128/madden-nfl-11/)sold almost 700,000 copies in the first week and only 175,000 in week two. For NCAA 11 (http://gamrreview.vgchartz.com/sales/45851/ncaa-football-11/) on the 360 they sold 227,000 in week one and 78,000 in week two. In both games the week one sales are about 25% of the total sales for the year! Clearly the hardcore fan wants the game right away and yet EA does nothing to capitalize on this. Some guys drive two hours each way to find a mom and pop store that will sell them an early copy.

I think EA should offer collector/special editions of the game at an increased price ($20 more, not $100) and sell the game a week early. We can claim we got a few extra perks like extra jerseys but I think there is a sizeable group of people out there with the desire and money to pay extra to get the game early. Why not please that group of people and make more money at the same time?

texacotea
06-01-2011, 06:17 AM
What all comes in the HOF? I wouldnt mind paying some extra to get it early. but its almost to the point where I can just wait

steelerfan
06-01-2011, 06:17 AM
Essentially, wouldn't that be a $XX penalty for buying the game on (what is then the) release day? :confused:

Rudy
06-01-2011, 06:35 AM
Per Pastapadre (http://www.pastapadre.com/2011/05/31/madden-nfl-12-cover-art-and-hall-of-fame-edition-revealed)the Madden HOF edition has these extras:

In the HOF Edition, you get the Premium bronze, foil embossed cover featuring Marshall Faulk,the Full version of Madden NFL 12, a hand autographed Marshal Faulk Panini Card, and an exclusive Madden Ultimate Team Platinum pack featuring a combination of 13 NFL Hall of Famers and former Madden NFL cover athletes. The Hall of Fame Edition will be available on August 30th for the retail price of $89.99.

That sounds weak to me. People would pay more for an early release than those features. EA would sell a ton more at $99.99 if they offered it a week early imo.

Colossal28
06-01-2011, 08:22 AM
I'd happily pay more to get NCAA early. It may sound dumb to not wait, but we're 6 weeks out now and I'm already anxious to get started, it depends on how much early we're talking, but if I could throw down an extra $10-20 and get it , I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Maybe they could even to a promo where it's something like 3 weeks early for extra $30, 2 weeks for $20, 1 week for $10? They wouldn't lose money by offering this incentive, I wonder if there are legal conflicts with it though.

Pig Bomb
06-01-2011, 08:55 AM
I'd pay more to get it early and how much would depend on what other [if any] extras would come with the game.

Cody
06-01-2011, 09:00 AM
I can't see myself paying more than 20 early plus gas to go get it.

NaptownMVP
06-01-2011, 09:12 AM
I voted the first option, though I didn't really want to. I'm not against paying extra for getting the game early, but I'm not paying 10-20 bucks for it. Maybe 5.

I OU a Beatn
06-01-2011, 09:36 AM
I wouldn't pay extra for a collector's edition that didn't have anything extra in it. If they're going to release a collector's edition, it better have something in it worth my while. Paying $20 extra to get a game a week early is really pricey, IMO.

I usually get it early every year, anyway, depending on what I'm doing at the time. I picked the game up the Thursday before release last year and didn't even get a chance to play it until the Wednesday after it released. I didn't pay extra, though, so it didn't matter.

SmoothPancakes
06-01-2011, 09:45 AM
I wouldn't pay extra for a collector's edition that didn't have anything extra in it. If they're going to release a collector's edition, it better have something in it worth my while. Paying $20 extra to get a game a week early is really pricey, IMO.

I usually get it early every year, anyway, depending on what I'm doing at the time. I picked the game up the Thursday before release last year and didn't even get a chance to play it until the Wednesday after it released. I didn't pay extra, though, so it didn't matter.

Agreed. If you're going to charge more than $60 and call it a collector's edition, then it damn well better have extra (collector's) stuff in it. Just releasing it a week early for an extra $20, to me is stupid. I certainly wouldn't buy it. A: There are mom and pop places around here I could get it early for $60 anyways if I wanted to make the drive. B: I'm a patient person. Is waiting one more week really THAT difficult?

CLW
06-01-2011, 09:53 AM
The price depends on what "extra" is in the "Collectors Edition" of the game. I wouldn't pay more than maybe $5 just to get the game a week early.

I OU a Beatn
06-01-2011, 09:54 AM
Yeah, there isn't a game in the world I would pay extra to get. Half the time I even buy a game I don't have the time to play it for a couple days after anyway.

smace767
06-01-2011, 10:06 AM
to pay 5 dollars more it would have to be a week+ early.
to pay 10 dollars 2+ weeks early.
Im not paying over 10 dollars extra.

NatureBoy
06-01-2011, 10:23 AM
:DI have to admit, years ago I went on a three city tour looking for the game early with no luck at all. It would be very rare to find it early here in the South because we don't have any Mom and Pop video game stores but it was worth a shot. I would have payed more to get it early then but with gas prices being so high, I wouldn't do it now.

Dr Death
06-01-2011, 11:39 AM
For NCAA 11 (http://gamrreview.vgchartz.com/sales/45851/ncaa-football-11/) on the 360 they sold 227,000 in week one and 78,000 in week two. In both games the week one sales are about 25% of the total sales for the year!

I am shocked that NCAA sold, according to that link, only about 1.2 million copies. And even more shocked that Madden has sold as much as it has. Every time I go somewhere and they play Madden as an enticement for customers, the game looks and sounds boring. I hope the sales for NCAA increase exponentially this year. The NCAA team at EA deserve that.

And from now on... when I make a suggestion and someone tells me we only make up a small % of the buyers... I ain't believing that anymore. We have at least half the market just between here, OS and Utopia! :D

oweb26
06-01-2011, 11:54 AM
what is your obsession with the bold letters?

Dr Death
06-01-2011, 12:06 PM
what is your obsession with the bold letters?

:D It's not an obsession, it's the writer in me coming out. I bold names or key words and I feel it breaks up the posts and makes them easier to read. Especially the longer posts. Sorry if it offends you. :(

Jayrah
06-01-2011, 03:12 PM
Death the writer in you has poor grammar. HAHAHA "I ain't believing that anymore" :D.

And I'm sure it offends nobody. Your posts are pretty colorful though.

Jayrah
06-01-2011, 03:14 PM
I would pay extra, depending on how much. For example I would sign up for that EA thing online to get a download a week early.

oweb26
06-01-2011, 03:16 PM
Yeah I was far from offended, actually I wasn't offended at all. I just noticed a trend reading your post. Bold away

ram29jackson
06-01-2011, 04:52 PM
I wonder what its like to sign 125000 cards? how long does that take ?

ram29jackson
06-01-2011, 04:53 PM
the sad truth is , I would want it

PeteyKirch
06-01-2011, 05:18 PM
I paid 20 bucks to get the game early last year, but that of course was to start on roster making.

Dr Death
06-01-2011, 06:05 PM
Death the writer in you has poor grammar. HAHAHA "I ain't believing that anymore" :D.

And I'm sure it offends nobody. Your posts are pretty colorful though.

That's not bad grammar, that's me making a point. A point that would have been much better face-to-face. So much subtlety is lost on the Internet. But alas... I still won't believe it. :D

And look... two posts in a row and no bold... that may be a new record for me. :D

Treadstone6700
06-01-2011, 06:12 PM
:DI have to admit, years ago I went on a three city tour looking for the game early with no luck at all. It would be very rare to find it early here in the South because we don't have any Mom and Pop video game stores but it was worth a shot. I would have payed more to get it early then but with gas prices being so high, I wouldn't do it now.

I drove my girlfriend absolutely crazy last year b/c ever store that could possibly sell video games I tried to get it from. Sams Club actually had a misprint on their site where I was able to order it early and I tried to pick it up in store. The game was in front of me and they tried ringing it up but then they ended up not selling it to me after the screen beeped. It was heartbreaking. I try to tell myself I won't do the same thing this year, but who am I kidding.

And look... two posts in a row and no bold... that may be a new record for me. :D

I appreciate the bolded keywords, it helps find the words to focus on when skimming through multiple pages of discussion boards