PDA

View Full Version : Jim Tressel Has Resigned

JBHuskers
05-30-2011, 08:02 AM
Watching Mike & Mike on ESPN2 (mainly because Mike & Mike aren't on it today LOL) and this just broke.

HWill
05-30-2011, 08:07 AM
As soon as I turned on my TV, It came across the bottom of the screen. I won't say i'm surprised, but I definitely wasn't expecting this news today.

SmoothPancakes
05-30-2011, 08:08 AM
So long sweater vest. Maybe this will save OSU a tiny bit in the eyes of the NCAA, with Tressel no longer there.

Now the big question, who does Ohio State go after, and are they willing to go into that land mine field that is Ohio State pre-penalty.

SmoothPancakes
05-30-2011, 08:10 AM
As soon as I turned on my TV, It came across the bottom of the screen. I won't say i'm surprised, but I definitely wasn't expecting this news today.

I think it was to the point it was going to happen sooner or later. Tressel realized this and decided to make it happen sooner so the university could get to work on hiring a new coach, and so the team could get to work on moving forward, instead of dragging this out all summer long like a soap opera and possibly ruining the focus of the team going into the season.

Cody
05-30-2011, 08:17 AM
This is a sad day in Buckeye country. I really liked him. Now I hope we can bring in Urban Meyer

JBHuskers
05-30-2011, 08:18 AM
Urban Meyer may all of a sudden have the energy to coach again.

Cody
05-30-2011, 08:24 AM
Les Miles may also be a candidate since he is from Elyria,Ohio

SmoothPancakes
05-30-2011, 08:28 AM
Les Miles may also be a candidate since he is from Elyria,Ohio

I highly doubt it. It's been absolutely no secret that Michigan is Les Miles' dream job. So I very much doubt he'd go to Ohio State. Plus, if an opening at his dream job in Michigan isn't enough to lure Les out of LSU, then I doubt he's going to turn right around and leave LSU for Ohio State (what with future penalties pending and whatnot).

JBHuskers
05-30-2011, 08:30 AM
Yeah considering USC got 30 scholly's taken away over three years and no Pac-12 Championship opportunity....you'd figure Ohio State is going to get smacked even harder.

JBHuskers
05-30-2011, 08:31 AM
If I was a NY Times Headline guy....I'd call it VEST IN PEACE ;)

JBHuskers
05-30-2011, 08:35 AM
The shocking thing here about the resignation was the AD just gave Tressel a vote of confidence last week.

fsuprime
05-30-2011, 08:40 AM
Yea, the AD's head was not on the chopping block until that article about 50+ phone calls to the car salesman came out lol...
Best part about this is now instead of just USC, Auburn, and Alabama fans saying they dont care if their teams are cheating, we can now listen to tOSU fans say the same thing.

JBHuskers
05-30-2011, 09:09 AM
Fickell takes over as interim.....new coach search won't take place until after the season. Pencil Fickell out for 2012, gives a year for Urban Meyer to get back into "coaching shape" I think.

JBHuskers
05-30-2011, 09:29 AM
From SportsPickle :D

This is new Ohio State coach Luke Fickell: http://bit.ly/lzoPFk. "The Sleeveless Windbreaker" isn't a very good nickname.

CLW
05-30-2011, 09:35 AM
The writing was on the wall on this one for a LONG time. You simply CANNOT lie to the NCAA during an investigation and survive. NO coach even K or Joe Pa would be able to survive a scandal like that.

ESPN Insider lists the following as possible replacements:

1. Urban Meyer

2. Bo Pelini

3. Gary Patterson

4. Jon Gruden

5. Mark Dantonio

6. Mark Stoops

7. Gary Pinkel

JeffHCross
05-30-2011, 09:38 AM
As soon as I turned on my TV, It came across the bottom of the screen. I won't say i'm surprised, but I definitely wasn't expecting this news today.This. Awfully strange timing.

Now the big question, who does Ohio State go after, and are they willing to go into that land mine field that is Ohio State pre-penalty.The answer is no one. Coach Fickell will assume head coaching duties for the entirety of 2011, and then the search will begin in 2012. Which means, in my opinion, that if we have a successful season this year that the search will end with Coach Fickell.

HuskerBlitz
05-30-2011, 09:42 AM
What is it about the timing that is strange?

Cody
05-30-2011, 09:43 AM
The more you mention it, you may be right about no big coach willing to come to the mine field. Then again, this is one of the top jobs in the country and only comes available every decade or so. Some big time coach(Urban Meyer) may be willing to take the risk. Do you guys think the AD will step down? This program has taken a turn for the worse.

Cody
05-30-2011, 09:45 AM
The writing was on the wall on this one for a LONG time. You simply CANNOT lie to the NCAA during an investigation and survive. NO coach even K or Joe Pa would be able to survive a scandal like that.

1. Urban Meyer

2. Bo Pelini

3. Gary Patterson

4. Jon Gruden

5. Mark Dantonio

6. Mark Stoops

7. Gary Pinkel

Bolded names make the most sense imo.

JBHuskers
05-30-2011, 09:45 AM

1. Urban Meyer My #1 guess.

2. Bo Pelini Not at this time. Especially with looming sanctions.

3. Gary Patterson Pending move to the Big East, I think he could get TCU to a title game...so I don't think so. But $ talks.

4. Jon Gruden He always shows up on a list. I just don't see him coaching college for some reason. Plus he seems to be set on finishing his MNF contract.

5. Mark Dantonio Don't think so at all.

6. Mark Stoops Definitely could see this.

7. Gary Pinkel IMO a step up from Mizzou, I could see this too.

My thoughts on that.

JBHuskers
05-30-2011, 09:46 AM

The AD coming out saying he's behind Tressel gave the impression they were going to ride this out.

CLW
05-30-2011, 09:47 AM
The AD coming out saying he's behind Tressel gave the impression they were going to ride this out.

Meh that's the dreaded "vote of confidence" which always comes out before the ax comes down. Hell Pearl even got several of those during his fiasco.

Cody
05-30-2011, 09:48 AM
There were rumors last year that when he decided to retire he would take over the AD job.

Guess not anymore.

JBHuskers
05-30-2011, 09:48 AM
Meh that's the dreaded "vote of confidence" which always comes out before the ax comes down. Hell Pearl even got several of those during his fiasco.

Yeah but he didn't call it a "vote of confidence" .... something in what the AD said didn't strike me as that.

Cody
05-30-2011, 09:49 AM
I figured he would have got axed after the hearing.

Glad he had enough pride/dignity to resign.

HuskerBlitz
05-30-2011, 09:52 AM
But if you look at what has happened in the press since that time, I don't think the timing is all that off. It gave Gee the weekend to consult with officials and time to bring Tressel in for a meeting to solidify things. Honestly, I was expecting this to happen at any time.

JBHuskers
05-30-2011, 09:53 AM

1. Urban Meyer My #1 guess.

2. Bo Pelini Not at this time. Especially with looming sanctions.

3. Gary Patterson Pending move to the Big East, I think he could get TCU to a title game...so I don't think so. But $ talks.

4. Jon Gruden He always shows up on a list. I just don't see him coaching college for some reason. Plus he seems to be set on finishing his MNF contract.

5. Mark Dantonio Don't think so at all.

6. Mark Stoops Definitely could see this.

7. Gary Pinkel IMO a step up from Mizzou, I could see this too.

How bout a name that isn't in here.....

How bout a guy that screwed up in the past, but has resurrected himself? George O'Leary....

It's been 10 years since the Notre Dame debacle.

HuskerBlitz
05-30-2011, 09:57 AM
No. The tint of his resume flap will not go with Ohio State's image of cleaning stuff up. Just won't happen.

Cody
05-30-2011, 10:02 AM
Just some names?:

Llyod Carr- Former Michigan HC
Charlie Weis
Peterson-Boise HC

Just some names

JBHuskers
05-30-2011, 10:27 AM
From someone on Twitter :D

So does aOSU hire RichRod now? His record of Michigan defeats is impeccable.

JBHuskers
05-30-2011, 10:34 AM
WOW .... watching The Herd on ESPNU and I guess an SI article was coming out and Tressel had to pull a Kyle Busch and drive 120 mph home to announce his resignation.

JeffHCross
05-30-2011, 10:46 AM
What is it about the timing that is strange?Memorial Day isn't the day I'd expect to see announcements about college football coaches resigning. Plus, there hasn't really been any more news this month. Would've expected this news in March or April. Or in August when the NCAA hearing occurs. Choosing today seems strange.

Unless, of course, something else is about to hit the fan, and soon. That's what I'm fearing at this point.

Llyod Carr- Former Michigan HCDude ... you're a Buckeye. Don't you know how badly our fan base would turn on itself if we even thought about that? Plus, Tressel owned Carr ... the vast majority of the Ohio State fan base has no respect for Carr what-so-ever.

JBHuskers
05-30-2011, 10:54 AM

Memorial Day isn't the day I'd expect to see announcements about college football coaches resigning. Plus, there hasn't really been any more news this month. Would've expected this news in March or April. Or in August when the NCAA hearing occurs. Choosing today seems strange.

Unless, of course, something else is about to hit the fan, and soon. That's what I'm fearing at this point.

This.

WOW .... watching The Herd on ESPNU and I guess an SI article was coming out and Tressel had to pull a Kyle Busch and drive 120 mph home to announce his resignation.

As soon as Tressel knew about what was in the SI story, he had nothing else that he had to do more than resign ASAP.

JBHuskers
05-30-2011, 11:03 AM
So he was vacationing in FL, and took a flight immediately.

Talk about pub for this week's Sports Illustrated....sales of that to non-subscribers are going to go through the roof.

JeffHCross
05-30-2011, 11:03 AM
As soon as Tressel knew about what was in the SI story, he had nothing else that he had to do more than resign ASAP.Maybe. Maybe it's just a coincidence. Lots of people are suggesting that President Gee's "special committee to analyze and provide advice to me regarding issues attendant to our football program" was basically a group dedicated to figuring out a way to settle on Tressel's resignation. So people are thinking it has been in the works for some number of weeks. The timing may not be anything more than that.

Talk about pub for this week's Sports Illustrated....sales of that to non-subscribers are going to go through the roof.Meh. It's going to be posted online tonight. I'll go with the free version, lol.

JeffHCross
05-30-2011, 11:06 AM
Former Ohio State receiver Ray Small: Lol what y'all gone do 2 me that man resigned his self if u don't like me [bleep] u!!:smh:

What a joke.

JBHuskers
05-30-2011, 11:07 AM
:D someone just called into The Herd and said "if there is any time for Nebraska to join the Big Ten, this is it"....is it September yet?

JBHuskers
05-30-2011, 11:07 AM
:smh:

What a joke.

:D :D

That guy is a joke.

DariusLock
05-30-2011, 11:10 AM
From SportsPickle :D

This is new Ohio State coach Luke Fickell: http://bit.ly/lzoPFk. "The Sleeveless Windbreaker" isn't a very good nickname.

The new age of Ohio State! "The Windbreaker Vest!"

steelerfan
05-30-2011, 11:20 AM
:Penn_State: :))

SmoothPancakes
05-30-2011, 11:33 AM

Yeah, this is great news for Penn State. Y'all might finish in third place now instead of fourth place. ;)

Though with Nebraska coming in this season, you might end up stuck back in fourth place again regardless. :P

steelerfan
05-30-2011, 11:42 AM
Yeah, this is great news for Penn State. Y'all might finish in third place now instead of fourth place. ;)

Though with Nebraska coming in this season, you might end up stuck back in fourth place again regardless. :P

Well, the ramifications of all of this are not going to cover only one year. ;)

Hell, if this goes as horribly as I'd like, even Navy may end up more relevant than tOSU in the years to come. Though that is an EXTREME scenario. :P

JBHuskers
05-30-2011, 11:49 AM

This >>> :Nebraska: :))

Edit:

:nod:

JBHuskers
05-30-2011, 11:52 AM
Cowherd just made a good point. Pryor can only enter the supplemental NFL draft (if there will still be one after the new CBA).....plus he figures to get drafted and make that draft contract money, so he can't really go anywhere.

steelerfan
05-30-2011, 11:53 AM
Haha!

The NU team that couldn't beat 5-7 UT? :D

:easy:

steelerfan
05-30-2011, 11:58 AM
http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Luke+Fickell+Ohio+State+Spring+Football+Preview+4S s7RDKDS0Gl.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyYoJlINTHo

JBHuskers
05-30-2011, 12:08 PM
:nod: :D

gimme a Pepsi Perfect please!

http://www.ketzer.com/backtothefuture/bttf2_pepsi_perfect.jpg

CLW
05-30-2011, 12:12 PM

Co-signed by:
:Illinois::Indiana::Iowa::Minnesota::Michigan_Stat e::Michigan::Nebraska::Northwestern::Purdue::Wisco nsin::Big_Ten::NCAA:

JeffHCross
05-30-2011, 12:14 PM
Yeah, this is great news for Penn State. Y'all might finish in third place now instead of fourth place. ;)Actually, I think the season outlook for Ohio State just got better. One less distraction, plus less confusion about who is actually the head coach. No chance of having Coach Tressel be the coach Monday - Friday, with Coach Fickell leading the team on Saturday.

JBHuskers
05-30-2011, 12:15 PM
Co-signed by:
:Illinois::Indiana::Iowa::Minnesota::Michigan_Stat e::Michigan::Nebraska::Northwestern::Purdue::Wisco nsin::Big_Ten::NCAA:

This. :D

You think this is BIG news? :D it was ALL Cowherd talked about, we're up to 3 pages on this bad boy on a holiday.....wow what a day.

steelerfan
05-30-2011, 12:16 PM
Actually, I think the season outlook for Ohio State just got better. One less distraction, plus less confusion about who is actually the head coach. No chance of having Coach Tressel be the coach Monday - Friday, with Coach Fickell leading the team on Saturday.

Only to have them end up ineligible for the postseason. :P

Sorry, Jeff, the glass is half-empty. :nod:

http://bucultureshock.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/Half-empty-glass.jpg

JBHuskers
05-30-2011, 12:17 PM
Only to have them end up ineligible for the postseason (if they would get to six wins in the first place). :P

Fixed. (this time for truth and not joke :D)

souljahbill
05-30-2011, 12:18 PM
Is it too late to get the sleeveless windsuit top into NCAA 12?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JBHuskers
05-30-2011, 12:58 PM
First time since 1929 that BOTH Michigan and Ohio State start the season with a new head coach. WOW!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

CLW
05-30-2011, 01:12 PM
Excellent article re: Jim Tressel and how he somehow managed to be viewed as "clean" despite some of his biggest stars being scum:

Try for a moment to remove whatever school-colored glasses you might own and consider the following questions:

-- If Tim Tebow, Percy Harvin and Alex Smith had been found guilty of breaking NCAA rules, what would you think of former Utah and Florida coach Urban Meyer?

-- If Ricky Williams, Vince Young and Colt McCoy had all been penalized for running afoul of the NCAA, what would you think of Texas coach Mack Brown?

-- If college sports' governing body had forced LaRon Landry, Rolando McClain and Mark Ingram to miss games for their transgressions, what would you think of former LSU and current Alabama coach Nick Saban?

You probably didn't have to think too hard about the answer. If the three highest profile players of a big-time coach's career all got dinged by the NCAA, you would think that coach might be dirty. So why, after Maurice Clarett, Troy Smith and Terrelle Pryor all faced NCAA sanctions, did people still think Ohio State coach Jim Tressel was squeaky clean? Why, after Tressel admitted in March that he played ineligible players and lied to the NCAA about it, did people still rush to his defense, claiming him an otherwise perfect coach who made one little mistake?

Because Tressel, Ohio State and a compliant media -- yes, I'm just as guilty as the other two parties -- sold that narrative so well.

He was The Senator. The light in the darkness. The one who didn't have to stoop as low as his peers. Even Tressel's choice of signature garment screamed piety. A sweater vest says, "I'll have your daughter home by nine, sir." A sweater vest says, "I'll be in the first pew in church on Sunday." A sweater vest says, "I'll abide by my contract and the rules that govern my profession."

The Ohio State portion of Tressel's story came to an end Monday. Ohio State officials could argue that some of the transgressions described were beyond the coach's control, and they would be correct. But Ohio State has shifted the narrative in recent months. They want you to think this is all a Jim Tressel problem and not an Ohio State problem. A Jim Tressel problem means Ohio State needs a new coach. An Ohio State problem means brutal NCAA sanctions that could cripple the program for years.

Tressel was packaged and sold as a paragon of virtue in a college football universe teeming with schemers and bloodsuckers. As long as he beat Michigan and won the Big Ten, most people seemed more than happy to swallow that narrative. Does it make Tressel a bad person because he didn't live up to the impossibly lofty image created for him? Absolutely not. Tressel gives more to charity in a month than most will give in their lives. He has helped hundreds of players navigate the gap between childhood and adulthood. He has violated no state or federal laws.

Tressel did, however, make a poor choice of NCAA rules to break. An accomplished former coach once told me that the NCAA only considers two violations unforgivable: Getting caught buying a player and getting caught lying to the NCAA. Tressel is guilty of the second, and coaches who get caught lying to the NCAA rarely keep their jobs. Is Tressel the only coach who lied to the NCAA in the past year? Of course not. Nor was Alabama the only program to buy a player in the recruiting class of 2000. But guess what Tressel and the Alabama staff that bought Albert Means have in common? They got caught.

Former Buckeyes walk-on Chris Cicero tried to do his program a solid in April 2010 when he sent Tressel the e-mails about players trading memorabilia for cash and tattoos at the Fine Line Ink tattoo parlor. Those e-mails ultimately unraveled the carefully crafted narrative. Sad as it sounds, Cicero would have saved the Buckeyes a lot of grief had he loved his school a little less and forgotten to press "send."

Of all the tools a coach has at his disposal -- schematic brilliance, the ability to inspire loyalty, a knack for winning over the best recruits -- the most important is plausible deniability. Unsavory things must be taken care of in every high-profile program, but it's the job of low-level staffers to ensure none of the nastiness ever reaches the head coach's desk. A graduate assistant who hears about players taking discounts from a local business is supposed make it go away quietly and not leave a paper trail.
What infuriates Ohio State fans most is that other head coaches have sailed along with no personal punishment or a mere wrist slap. Those fans fail to understand that those coaches wore the armor of plausible deniability. Kentucky basketball coach John Calipari has had Final Four appearances vacated at UMass and Memphis, yet the NCAA never convicted Calipari of any wrongdoing. However when Marcus Camby got that money or Derrick Rose got that SAT score, someone else did it. Connecticut basketball coach Jim Calhoun got hit with a three-game suspension earlier this year for failing to monitor the men on his staff in a case involving an agent funneling money to former UConn recruit Nate Miles. Why didn't Calhoun get hammered the way Tressel might? All the NCAA could prove was that Calhoun's staffers did it. Those guys lost their jobs. Calhoun had plausible deniability.

The moment Tressel responded to a Cicero e-mail -- thereby acknowledging its receipt -- he stripped himself of his armor. From that moment, he was exposed. He could have reported the e-mail to his superiors, who would have passed it along to the NCAA. That probably would have gotten quarterback Pryor and receiver DeVier Posey, the 2010 Buckeyes listed in the e-mail, suspended for four games. That was the penalty for Georgia receiver A.J. Green, who was penalized in 2010 for selling an autographed jersey.

That might have been the end. With the players suspended, maybe no one would have dug deeper to find out Buckeyes have been getting hooked up for years at tattoo parlors. Tressel almost certainly would still be Ohio State's coach. Tressel chose another option, though. He had a team that appeared capable of competing for the national title. (Looking back, only a bad first and third quarter in Madison, Wis., kept the Buckeyes from playing for the title.) So Tressel rolled the dice and didn't tell his superiors about the e-mails. The moment Pryor or Posey set foot on the field during a game, Tressel would commit a major NCAA violation. When Tressel signed an NCAA form in September attesting that he didn't know of any violations, he told a lie. When NCAA investigators came to ask about the memorabilia swapping at the tattoo parlor, Tressel didn't confess he'd known. Lie No. 2. If those lies came to light, Tressel's actions wouldn't match his narrative.

Narratives also are critical in an NCAA infractions case, especially when a school is self-reporting violations. There is a certain alchemy to designing a self-report that acknowledges wrongdoing but minimizes punishment, while still seeming transparent enough to discourage any deeper digging. When the U.S. Department of Justice alerted Ohio State officials that player-only memorabilia had turned up in a raid of the home of Fine Line owner Edward Rife, the compliance department investigated. It then told the NCAA in its self-report that the case was limited to these players and this memorabilia.

"There are no other NCAA violations around this case," Ohio State athletic director Gene Smith said on Dec. 23. "We're very fortunate we do not have a systemic problem in our program. This is isolated to these young men, isolated to this particular incident. There are no other violations that exist."
Whoops.

Less than two months later, someone in the department discovered the e-mails between Cicero and Tressel. If it ever emerged that Smith or anyone in the athletic administration knew of the e-mails and didn't report them, they could be charged with the same unethical conduct violation as Tressel, and the Committee on Infractions almost certainly would blast the program for a lack of institutional control. So Ohio State also self-reported Tressel's lies.

This is when Ohio State shifted the narrative. Despite an outward show of support for Tressel -- including the "I'm just hoping the coach doesn't dismiss me" quote that has made Ohio State president Gordon Gee a laughingstock in the ivory tower world -- Ohio State's administration has done everything it can to make sure the NCAA and everyone else knows this is a Jim Tressel problem and not an Ohio State problem. Officials self-reported a violation of Bylaw 10.1 (unethical conduct) knowing full well that they essentially had declared Tressel guilty of one of the NCAA's mortal sins. The behind-the-scenes media strategy also suggests a desire to put distance between Tressel and the program. Oops, it appears we accidentally forgot last month to release these e-mails that prove Tressel forwarded the information to Pryor's shady handler.
Why would Ohio State do this to one of its most successful employees? Because Tressel can be replaced. No one person is bigger than the program. Only one person came close to being bigger than the program, and Ohio State fired Woody Hayes the morning after he punched Clemson's Charlie Bauman.

It is much easier to hire a new coach than it is to dig out from the rubble of scholarship sanctions and postseason bans. If the NCAA believes this is a Jim Tressel problem, all Ohio State must do is cut ties and move on to more Big Ten titles. If the NCAA believes this is an Ohio State problem, the situation gets much, much messier.
Has Ohio State shifted the narrative well enough? The Sporting News published a story Friday that shows Ohio State compliance director Doug Archie can't keep his story straight about how many times he has spoken with the Buckeyes' favorite car dealer. Just because the NCAA hasn't accused Ohio State of a failure to monitor or the dreaded lack of institutional control doesn't mean those charges are off the table. The enforcement staff could cancel Ohio State's August hearing before the Committee on Infractions, add more accusations and reschedule the hearing for a later date. Any new accusations probably would attack the program instead of the coach.

By accepting Tressel's resignation Monday, it's clear Ohio State will try to spin a narrative that turns the new revelations into a Jim Tressel problem and stops the bleeding at the August hearing. So months after his employer revealed the lies that shattered a reputation that didn't quite fit the facts, Tressel proved just how much he loves Ohio State. Monday, Tressel made the ultimate declaration of loyalty to the school he served so well by making all of Ohio State's problems his own.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/andy_staples/05/30/Jim.Tressel.OSU/index.html?eref=sihp&sct=hp_t11_a2

JeffHCross
05-30-2011, 01:27 PM
100% true.

Cody
05-30-2011, 06:55 PM
Dude ... you're a Buckeye. Don't you know how badly our fan base would turn on itself if we even thought about that? Plus, Tressel owned Carr ... the vast majority of the Ohio State fan base has no respect for Carr what-so-ever.

This, sir I was joking.

Boucher
05-30-2011, 06:58 PM
Well hopefully Miami can just crush OSU while they are down

Cody
05-30-2011, 07:05 PM
Not down.

The only thing we may lack is offensive leadership. Statistics wise we will be fine with Miller/Graham/Guiton/Bauserman playing QB and Hall/Berry at RB

HuskerBlitz
05-30-2011, 07:12 PM
The stuff with Small wasn't news? Given what has transpired, that just may have been the straw that broke the camel's back on Tressel. This has constantly been in the news and it reached a head that needed to be taken care of. Just because this fell on a holiday I think you're looking too far into things. And if Tressel was on vacation as I've read, then Gee probably did need to wait until he had returned to talk to him face to face. I just don't see the timing as anything but the point where the pressure cooker couldn't take any more pressure before it burst.

JBHuskers
05-30-2011, 07:25 PM
The stuff with Small wasn't news? Given what has transpired, that just may have been the straw that broke the camel's back on Tressel. This has constantly been in the news and it reached a head that needed to be taken care of. Just because this fell on a holiday I think you're looking too far into things. And if Tressel was on vacation as I've read, then Gee probably did need to wait until he had returned to talk to him face to face. I just don't see the timing as anything but the point where the pressure cooker couldn't take any more pressure before it burst.

Based on how quickly Small backpedaled, hell yeah it was a major deal. Scottie Pippen thought he backpedaled hard.

HuskerBlitz
05-30-2011, 07:29 PM
Based on how quickly Small backpedaled, hell yeah it was a major deal. Scottie Pippen thought he backpedaled hard.

Which is why I don't think the timing is strange. IF nothing else had come out I don't think this would have happened. But since he came out and said what he did I just think Gee had to make a decision before anything else transpired.

cdj
05-30-2011, 07:56 PM
Here is a link to the SI article (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/magazine/05/30/jim.tressel/index.html).

JeffHCross
05-30-2011, 08:12 PM
Here is a link to the SI article (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/magazine/05/30/jim.tressel/index.html).Article seems primarily focused on undermining Tressel's character. But the allegations of more current players being linked to the memorabilia-for-tattoos problem is hard to ignore. And the memorabilia-for-marijuana allegation is pretty damning. Overall, the article just seems like people naming names. :smh:

Side note:

The former employee, who worked for Rife from the fall of 2008 until last summer, agreed to speak to SI on condition that he remain anonymous; he fears that Rife or one of his associates will seek retribution for his disclosures.Yeah, I'm sure they won't be able to limit it down by thinking about who worked there from 2008 to summer 2010 ...

Cody
05-30-2011, 10:27 PM
Ohio State has conceded that six current players committed an NCAA violation by trading memorabilia for tattoos or cash at Fine Line Ink: Pryor, tackle Mike Adams, running back Dan Herron, wide receiver DeVier Posey, defensive end Solomon Thomas and linebacker Jordan Whiting. Ellis, who spent time in and around the tattoo parlor for nearly 20 months, says that in addition to those six, he witnessed nine other active players swap memorabilia or give autographs for tattoos or money. Those players were defensive back C.J. Barnett, linebacker Dorian Bell, running back Jaamal Berry, running back Bo DeLande, defensive back Zach Domicone, linebacker Storm Klein, linebacker Etienne Sabino, defensive tackle John Simon and defensive end Nathan Williams. Ohio State declined to make any of its current players available to respond to SI.

Ellis claims that two players whose eligibility expired at the close of the 2010 season -- safety Jermale Hines and cornerback Devon Torrence -- also conducted at least one transaction with Rife involving memorabilia or autographs before the season ended.
From the 2008 team, Ellis alleges that cornerback Donald Washington traded memorabilia for tattoos. Washington now plays for the Chiefs; his agent, Neil Cornrich, did not return SI's calls requesting comment.
Among those whose Ohio State careers ended after the 2009 season, Rose, Small, defensive end Thaddeus Gibson, running back Jermil Martin, wide receiver Lamaar Thomas and defensive lineman Doug Worthington made trades or sold memorabilia before their eligibility expired, according to Ellis.

We just dropped down farther in the sink hole.

psusnoop
05-31-2011, 06:40 AM
Funny part to me was Pryor showing up in a new Car for a team meeting last night.
http://www.autocarcentre.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/370z-nissan.jpg

Cody
05-31-2011, 08:55 AM
Ha, yeah I read that on twitter. Rumors are he may be kicked off the team?

xMrHitStickx904
05-31-2011, 09:53 AM
This is only going to get worse for tOSU.

CLW
05-31-2011, 10:07 AM
This is only going to get worse for tOSU.

Yep. IMHO they are better off just admitting a lack of institutional control give themselves the U$C penalty and hope/pray the NCAA thinks that is enough.

This thing has all the makings of just absolutely blowing up (even more than it is now). I can even envision a scenario where the "death penalty" is in play.

Cody
05-31-2011, 10:11 AM
Could you explain your scenario on the death penalty?

CLW
05-31-2011, 12:32 PM
Could you explain your scenario on the death penalty?

Hypothetically, if the NCAA continues its investigation and finds multiple/serious/systematic violations in The Ohio State football program throughout the Tressel era they could rule/find Ohio State to be a "repeat violator" which is a rule/term used when handing out the death penalty.

Additionally, the NCAA has power to hand out whatever punishment it sees fit. Essentially, they are the Judge, Jury and Executioner when it comes to "major" college sports. If Ohio St. other schools don't like it they can simply drop out of the NCAA and play intermurals or form their own college sports "league" and make up the rules as they deem fit.

Examples of the three "biggest" "Death Penalty" cases and how it could tie into Ohio St.

:Kentucky: Basketball 1951 - Point Shaving Scandal. Let's say the NCAA digs into Pryor and they find all sorts of "unsavory" connections to gamblers and then he/someone else admits to point shaving/fixing a game. Nothing currently hints at this but dig enough into Pryor's background and I bet you could find some HUGE skelletons in the closet.

Southwestern Louisiana Basketball 1973 - Academic Fraud - Suppose we also find out that Pryor (other players) cannot even read yet has somehow managed to pass enough classes to be on pace to graduate. :fp:

(:North_Carolina: should also be worried about this with their ongoing investigation as well)

:SMU: Football 1986 - Players Being Paid After Multiple Recruiting Violations - Pryor is not only getting free/cheap cars to drive around but Tressell et al. also got Pryor hooked up with some Boosters to keep him happy like the Fab 5 combined with the finding of years of Tressel era infractions.

SmoothPancakes
05-31-2011, 12:40 PM
I highly doubt the NCAA would go the death penalty route, even if the facts end up coming out to support it. The damage it did to SMU, it is something to be used only in the most absolute, 100% severest cases. Hell, I'd almost go to say that the NCAA would do anything it could but give the death penalty if it could avoid it.. Plus, even with the NCAA starting to crack down on schools, I just can't see them giving such a giant money maker, for both the Big Ten and the NCAA, the death penalty.

CLW
05-31-2011, 12:43 PM
I highly doubt the NCAA would go the death penalty route, even if the facts end up coming out to support it. The damage it did to SMU, it is something to be used only in the most absolute, 100% severest cases. Hell, I'd almost go to say that the NCAA would do anything it could but give the death penalty if it could avoid it.. Plus, even with the NCAA starting to crack down on schools, I just can't see them giving such a giant money maker, for both the Big Ten and the NCAA, the death penalty.

You are probably right. I am merely laying out the case using prior precedent (which the NCAA doesn't seem to care much for with the "each case is unique" mindset) Well yes each case is unique. Each SMU case was "unique" back in the day.

Ironically, the most recent "death penalty" cases were against DIII schools. One was over a school that didn't even realize it even had an official soccer team.

They most likely won't lay down the "death penalty". However, that doesn't mean the facts will not eventually come out that could/would support such a punishment based on previous cases.

SmoothPancakes
05-31-2011, 01:00 PM
True, but you also have to look at everything that led up to the SMU death penalty. If there was a school that really earned it, it was them. Already on three years probation for multiple recruiting violations. Had been on probation five times since 1974 (seven times total, most of any NCAA school), and then came allegations of athletes STILL being paid in 1986, as well as a continuing slush fund. And then the things the SMU board of governors went about continuing to pay athletes until all the current ones being paid had graduated before they would go and dissolve the slush fund "because they decided they had to honor previous commitments made to the players", all the while telling the NCAA that there were no longer any players being paid.

At the moment, the Ohio State situation is nothing like that. It was stuff being done by boosters and local business that, yes, maybe Tressel did know about ALL of it, but I honestly don't know if, and want to think with some certainty not, the entire OSU athletic department or Gee or whoever else would have had knowledge of and tried to cover it up or pass the blame on to whoever. So far, all that has come out, is Tressel lying to the higher ups and his superiors at Ohio State and lying to the NCAA. Nothing so far of the entire athletic department, or Gee, or the OSU Board of Trustees lying left and right to the NCAA like what happened at SMU.

fsuprime
05-31-2011, 01:12 PM
the ncaa stated in the 80s that if they still gave out the death penalty UF would have 'earned' it under charlie pell, massive cheating (and they were cheating right after with emmit smith lol)

just want to make sure it is included with the other big time scandals listed above :)...to many people in florida like to forget about it.

Cody
05-31-2011, 01:17 PM
Is the AD Smith next to step down?

HuskerBlitz
05-31-2011, 01:22 PM
Yeah not sure what is with all the death penalty talk. It won't happen. I think some (probably former now) NCAA big wigs have even state as such. Sanctions will be the most they would do.

psusnoop
05-31-2011, 01:28 PM
Is the AD Smith next to step down?

If he doesn't I would be shocked, he of all people should have been asking more questions!!

SmoothPancakes
05-31-2011, 01:37 PM
Yeah not sure what is with all the death penalty talk. It won't happen. I think some (probably former now) NCAA big wigs have even state as such. Sanctions will be the most they would do.

Yeah, I can definitely see Ohio State getting slapped hardcore, much worse than USC, but it's been no secret in the press and in college football in general in the past that the NCAA, after seeing what it did to SMU, pretty much has no intentions of ever using the death penalty on a football program again. As well, yeah, you can definitely call it preferential treatment, but no way in hell would the NCAA ever hand down a death penalty on one of the biggest (and one of the most money producing) teams in college football.

cdj
05-31-2011, 01:42 PM
LSUFreek has arrived.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a78/nursetpd/Big%20Ten/EtTu_Brutus.gif

gschwendt
05-31-2011, 01:48 PM
LSUFreek has arrived.
Awesome.

JBHuskers
05-31-2011, 01:53 PM
LSUFreek has arrived.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a78/nursetpd/Big%20Ten/EtTu_Brutus.gif

:up: :up: two thumbs up :D

souljahbill
05-31-2011, 02:51 PM
Interesting question posed on the radio up in Ohio. Who's at fault here? The players, Tressel, or administration?

Ultimately, I think they all have some fault but I think the majority should be on the players. They know the rules and they put their coach and school at risk for their own selfish reasons.

JBHuskers
05-31-2011, 02:52 PM
Yeah I agree...all are at fault.

Cody
05-31-2011, 03:19 PM
Has to be the players, they did the crime. Administration tried to protect their players. Doesn't every coach try to protect their players?

ram29jackson
05-31-2011, 05:12 PM
Interesting question posed on the radio up in Ohio. Who's at fault here? The players, Tressel, or administration?

Ultimately, I think they all have some fault but I think the majority should be on the players. They know the rules and they put their coach and school at risk for their own selfish reasons.

all at fault..but saying the majority is on the players is way off in my opinion. its obvious its the admins and coach are stating that this is the culture and this is what we do . You cant really blame 16-18 year olds for following like fools.

But this is no big deal..its been common in college ball for years now and no one is worried about being found out because the death penalty will never happen again. You cant be top 30 without throwing rules to the side..all you guys with all your favorite schools, they all do the same thing...nothing new or shocking or ground breaking about it...its sad, sure, but...

ram29jackson
05-31-2011, 05:13 PM
a friend just e mailed this to me haha Weezer- undone the sweater song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHQqqM5sr7g

ram29jackson
05-31-2011, 05:16 PM
:up: :up: two thumbs up :D

I dont get it? what movie is that from ?

gschwendt
05-31-2011, 07:10 PM
I dont get it? what movie is that from ?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Et_tu,_Brute%3F

HuskerBlitz
05-31-2011, 07:11 PM
You should have just have drawn ram a picture....oh, wait....:fp:

steelerfan
05-31-2011, 07:35 PM
a friend just e mailed this to me haha Weezer- undone the sweater song

:D :D :D

Damn, someone needs to do a Tressel version of that video!

:D :D :D

:easy:

JeffHCross
05-31-2011, 07:48 PM
Funny part to me was Pryor showing up in a new Car for a team meeting last night.Yay, undeserved feeling of entitlements!

At this rate, I truly am beginning to feel like I want him suspended for the entire year.

Cody
05-31-2011, 08:44 PM
Yay, undeserved feeling of entitlements!

At this rate, I truly am beginning to feel like I want him suspended for the entire year.

That or him leave for the supplemental draft

ram29jackson
06-01-2011, 01:01 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Et_tu,_Brute%3F

yeah, but what movie? haha

morsdraconis
06-01-2011, 01:44 AM
yeah, but what movie? haha

It's from Rome, the HBO show.

xMrHitStickx904
06-01-2011, 08:14 AM
T. Pryor also driving on a suspended license. but that car is nice though lol.

JBHuskers
06-01-2011, 08:55 AM
Good chance to use a couple of the newer smileys....

Pryor = :whistle:

Tressel = :fp:

Cody
06-01-2011, 08:57 AM
We need a car smiley for Pryor

SmoothPancakes
06-01-2011, 09:00 AM
We need a car smiley for Pryor

http://www.plateshed.com/forum/style_emoticons/default/car-smiley.gif

That was just the first one I found.

JBHuskers
06-01-2011, 09:03 AM
http://www.plateshed.com/forum/style_emoticons/default/car-smiley.gif

That was just the first one I found.

:D

Cody
06-01-2011, 09:09 AM
Perfect ;)

CLW
06-01-2011, 10:06 AM
At this point I'd be SHOCKED if Pryor ever played football again. Not just for Ohio St. but anywhere of any note. He is NOT an NFL QB and with his ego/bagage I would hope that all of the NFL teams pass.

Cody
06-01-2011, 10:07 AM
Someone will give him a chance for his arm/size. If anything he'll be a receiver.

SmoothPancakes
06-01-2011, 01:37 PM
all at fault..but saying the majority is on the players is way off in my opinion. its obvious its the admins and coach are stating that this is the culture and this is what we do . You cant really blame 16-18 year olds for following like fools.

But this is no big deal..its been common in college ball for years now and no one is worried about being found out because the death penalty will never happen again. You cant be top 30 without throwing rules to the side..all you guys with all your favorite schools, they all do the same thing...nothing new or shocking or ground breaking about it...its sad, sure, but...

I didn't see this earlier, but bullshit! These players know goddamn well what the hell they are doing. There are NCAA compliance meetings/classes the athletes go through, freshmen orientation for the athletes, etc. These players know DAMN WELL what the hell they can and can't do, what they can and can't accept, etc. So to say they're not to blame, or not as much to blame because they're just following those ahead or before them, or for some players who have claimed they didn't know this or that, bullshit! I'm not even a damn athlete in college football and I know AT LEAST the basics of what players can and can't do and what they can and can't take/receive.

Cody
06-01-2011, 01:41 PM
Who in college is 16?

fsuprime
06-01-2011, 01:46 PM
i knew plenty of people in the military that were expected to follow the damn rules when they were 18-22 lol, and they do not even get the smoke pot like football players...

SmoothPancakes
06-01-2011, 01:52 PM
Who in college is 16?

I'm guessing he's talking more about the high school kids, juniors and seniors. They see all this stuff going on and then they basically emulate it when they get to college. And I still totally disagree. You damn well can blame them for "following like fools". If they're that stupid to ignore all the trouble others are getting into and all the compliance seminars and orientations that athletes go through, then they damn well are to blame the most, if not completely. To lay the blame on the coaches and the administration, but not put a big amount of blame on the athletes as well, does nothing but facilitate this behavior.

If athletes want to keep doing this shit, boom, your ass is gone for the season, if not for good. Take Pryor for instance, he absolutely deserves to be kicked off the team and I hope he is. If he was anything younger than a senior, I'd say kick his ass off forever and not let him come back at all, even if he were to sit out an entire season or two. Hell, if I was Pryor, I wouldn't want to come back at all either. The entire Buckeye team is supremely pissed off at you right now for all the shit you have brought upon the team and the school, between Tressel resigning/getting run out, and the hell that is gonna be brought down upon Ohio State by the NCAA in the future.

If the NCAA and the administrations really want to get the point across to players to stop doing this crap, they need to put in a policy of "you get caught, you permanently lose your entire eligibility regardless", whether you're a senior or a freshman. None of this being suspended for a year or something like has been seen with some other players in the past. If you're willing to risk your entire college eligibility, well either you're a dumbass or more power to you. But it'll make some players think REAL DAMN HARD in the future if they want to take that chance.

souljahbill
06-01-2011, 02:40 PM
I didn't see this earlier, but bullshit! These players know goddamn well what the hell they are doing. There are NCAA compliance meetings/classes the athletes go through, freshmen orientation for the athletes, etc. These players know DAMN WELL what the hell they can and can't do, what they can and can't accept, etc. So to say they're not to blame, or not as much to blame because they're just following those ahead or before them, or for some players who have claimed they didn't know this or that, bullshit! I'm not even a damn athlete in college football and I know AT LEAST the basics of what players can and can't do and what they can and can't take/receive.

When I was a student athletic trainer at Southern Miss, we had to go to similar meetings ourselves. The one they really harped on was gambling. Because we knew who was hurt and who wasn't and who would/could probably play, we couldn't use that inside info to make bets. We were always told it could come back on us through organized crime.

oweb26
06-01-2011, 02:59 PM
I'm guessing he's talking more about the high school kids, juniors and seniors. They see all this stuff going on and then they basically emulate it when they get to college. And I still totally disagree. You damn well can blame them for "following like fools". If they're that stupid to ignore all the trouble others are getting into and all the compliance seminars and orientations that athletes go through, then they damn well are to blame the most, if not completely. To lay the blame on the coaches and the administration, but not put a big amount of blame on the athletes as well, does nothing but facilitate this behavior.

If athletes want to keep doing this shit, boom, your ass is gone for the season, if not for good. Take Pryor for instance, he absolutely deserves to be kicked off the team and I hope he is. If he was anything younger than a senior, I'd say kick his ass off forever and not let him come back at all, even if he were to sit out an entire season or two. Hell, if I was Pryor, I wouldn't want to come back at all either. The entire Buckeye team is supremely pissed off at you right now for all the shit you have brought upon the team and the school, between Tressel resigning/getting run out, and the hell that is gonna be brought down upon Ohio State by the NCAA in the future.

If the NCAA and the administrations really want to get the point across to players to stop doing this crap, they need to put in a policy of "you get caught, you permanently lose your entire eligibility regardless", whether you're a senior or a freshman. None of this being suspended for a year or something like has been seen with some other players in the past. If you're willing to risk your entire college eligibility, well either you're a dumbass or more power to you. But it'll make some players think REAL DAMN HARD in the future if they want to take that chance.

If they really want to stop it give the players more of an incentive than a scholarship. They cant even get jobs to earn money due to practices and other BS NCAA rules. If I played football I would accept loaded handshakes as well, I was broke in college and I was able to work, so I can only imagine what they can/cant afford not being able to work, Pryor accepting cars and the like was just stupid and arrogant but you cant honestly believe that a scholarship is worth all the money they bring in for he schools?

The NCAA is nothing short of a pimp on these kids.

souljahbill
06-01-2011, 03:19 PM
If they really want to stop it give the players more of an incentive than a scholarship. They cant even get jobs to earn money due to practices and other BS NCAA rules. If I played football I would accept loaded handshakes as well, I was broke in college and I was able to work, so I can only imagine what they can/cant afford not being able to work, Pryor accepting cars and the like was just stupid and arrogant but you cant honestly believe that a scholarship is worth all the money they bring in for he schools?

The NCAA is nothing short of a pimp on these kids.

The way Sallie Mae owns my soul now, I gladly would take a free education plus room & board for 4-5 years over getting loans and "having the opportunity" to work at Wal-Mart or Burger King. Plus, playing football GREATLY increases your chances of getting some poontang. The Southern Miss athletic department paid for my room & board to basically be the athletic dorm's live in babysitter.........I mean, athletic trainer. They knew I kept a HUGE stash of protection just for them (and a handful for myself :))and believe me, they ran through 'em.

oweb26
06-01-2011, 03:25 PM
The way Sallie Mae owns my soul now, I gladly would take a free education plus room & board for 4-5 years over getting loans and "having the opportunity" to work at Wal-Mart or Burger King. Plus, playing football GREATLY increases your chances of getting some poontang. The Southern Miss athletic department paid for my room & board to basically be the athletic dorm's live in babysitter.........I mean, athletic trainer. They knew I kept a HUGE stash of protection just for them (and a handful for myself :))and believe me, they ran through 'em.

Even if you use the shittest cost benefit analysis, getting 4-5 years free room and board, doesn't even remotely equate to 1% of the football revenue. Now if you are some second, third string guy who will never get into the NFL or see alot of PT then absoluetly its worth it for you, but most of the people getting caught are guys who will be in the NFL and make a shit ton of money for the schools, and saying that these guys agreed to do is a weaker argument because in essence if they want to get into the NFL they have no choice but to go through the pimp system.

College football is making soooo much money now that no matter how stupid, arrogant you are you realize when you are being used and you dont have to be a math major to see that 2+2=10 in the world of college football.

PS. I too am Sallie Mae's bitch for the rest of my life.

AustinWolv
06-01-2011, 03:53 PM
Yeah I agree...all are at fault.

This. Because this is not a limited Pryor thing or just the tatt-for-gear players. Tress has a history of it..........the AD's office knew there was smoke years ago, and they chose to ignore it with 'spot checks'. Bullshit. They all are at fault.

The damage control plan from inside and those with influence has been in effect for a while now...........see how quickly fingers turned towards Tress and Pryor? When the O$U admins were making jokes and downplaying it just a couple months back? They knew and they thought they could get away with it. Now, to save themselves with the NCAA, Pryor and others will get thrown under the bus (not that they aren't without guilt) to ease the penalties. They better plan very carefully though, as they rub these guys the wrong way and full expose interviews might be granted. See Maurice Clarett, who they sold out quick. They've even attacked Herbstreit......

And everyone is going to act surprised by what comes out, despite O$U having like 300+ recruiting violations over the past decade that they just self-reported away conveniently to just have to get the silly little NCAA hand-slaps.

AustinWolv
06-01-2011, 04:08 PM
Actually, I think the season outlook for Ohio State just got better. One less distraction, plus less confusion about who is actually the head coach. No chance of having Coach Tressel be the coach Monday - Friday, with Coach Fickell leading the team on Saturday.

Best case scenario for you at this point is if Fickell lives up to his very good coaching reputation and does a superb job this season so they don't have to go through a coaching search plus try to keep the duct tape holding 2+ recruiting classes.
There will be fallout, the question is how long.

With the sanctions expected, Fickell or a young name like the Hazell guy at Kent State...........

AustinWolv
06-01-2011, 05:05 PM
Maybe the O$U compliance office can take some summer courses from Texas' compliance office?
http://recruitocosm.fantake.com/2011/05/31/texas-football-and-institutional-control/

:P

steelerfan
06-01-2011, 05:26 PM
Maybe the O$U compliance office can take some summer courses from Texas' compliance office?
http://recruitocosm.fantake.com/2011/05/31/texas-football-and-institutional-control/

:P

Good read, thanks for sharing that.

morsdraconis
06-01-2011, 05:40 PM
Excellent read. I hate 'em, but Texas definitely appears to be doing it the right way.

JeffHCross
06-01-2011, 08:58 PM
I love how you come out of the woodwork every so often, Austin ;) But yeah, clearly the OSU compliance office needs some remedial education. Hell, the entire Ath. Dept. does. This entire mess has been mismanaged from the start.

After sleeping on it, and thinking about the fact that Pryor showed up with yet another new car on Monday -- I retract my previous statement about being surprised if they find something. I'll still be a little surprised if the cars aren't, at least, mostly legitimate. Simply because there have already been investigations into that. However, I will be stunned if nothing is found on Pryor. The more I think about it, the more I get a Reggie Bush / Marcus Dupree / Maurice Clarett vibe where it all seems too good to be true. Pryor clearly feels like he's entitled, and I'm sure the atmosphere in Columbus has only fed that feeling.

At this point, I think Pryor is going to be our version of Reggie Bush and going to be the catalyst that gets us a series of punishments.

plus try to keep the duct tape holding 2+ recruiting classes. That might be the only positive I see in any of this. Fickell is one of our primary recruiters, and has been for years. I haven't looked at this year's class specifically, but it's likely that most of our prime targets are at least familiar with him. So if anyone is able to keep the recruits in house, he'd be one. He's had one success (http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/sports/stories/2011/06/01/fickell-goes-to-work-on-damage-control.html?sid=101) on that front already.

ram29jackson
06-01-2011, 09:29 PM

dude, you are talking about morals and intelligence and none of that applies here.
Major college sports is a black market..yes of course people are responsible for their actions but this is a privileged world in major ncaa sports. You cant compare guys who inlist in the military or military colleges to self absorbed all star athletes.

and even some of the best raised kids dont think properly at that young age. The older you get you will realize no kid gets it. Thats called wisdom and takes a while to sink in.
they are still influenced by the people around them and when a top 20 school bends all the rules, that is considered the norm and everyone follows..each individual has to take his own life into account, but on a mass level you cant blame the kids as much as leaders who make it and let it happen.

sure,we all say a scholorship is enough but in truth, thats minimal exchange for national tv exposure and everything else that comes with it

ram29jackson
06-01-2011, 09:58 PM
ultimately ,what this says is, this is the norm, USC Ohio State aren't surprises, aren't rarities, this is the staus quo...you forget about Auburn already?

and i dont mean to be mean but that Texas article means nothing. Some scrub writing about not seeing the shady stuff?
thats because he wasnt good enough to be or cared to be around it. That doesnt mean it wasnt going down.

some schools may only do 50 % of what USC or OSU did, but that basically means everyone is doing it...just like the Player from UNC said who was suspended for a year

AustinWolv
06-02-2011, 02:29 AM
Calling a former military member a scrub? Rather manly of you, considering he put his name and word out there, citing future star NFL players who drove around in junk cars and if they *were* on the take surely didn't flaunt it, so at the least they are a whole lot smarter than O$U's players. He addresses your subjective point clearly in his article in regards to "......thats because he wasnt good enough to be or cared to be around it. That doesnt mean it wasnt going down."

Could it be a 'hide' piece? Sure. But I put more faith in a former military vet who played for UT to live his dream than some guy posting on TGT forums, using the old 'well, everyone else must be doing it' argument.

Hey Jeff, I'm lurking, just not posting a lot. Young kids and lots of work will do that to ya. That and not wanting to burn out on NCAA too early.

ram29jackson
06-02-2011, 02:49 AM
Calling a former military member a scrub? Rather manly of you, considering he put his name and word out there, citing future star NFL players who drove around in junk cars and if they *were* on the take surely didn't flaunt it, so at the least they are a whole lot smarter than O$U's players. He addresses your subjective point clearly in his article in regards to "......thats because he wasnt good enough to be or cared to be around it. That doesnt mean it wasnt going down."

Could it be a 'hide' piece? Sure. But I put more faith in a former military vet who played for UT to live his dream than some guy posting on TGT forums, using the old 'well, everyone else must be doing it' argument.

Hey Jeff, I'm lurking, just not posting a lot. Young kids and lots of work will do that to ya. That and not wanting to burn out on NCAA too early.

I wasnt mocking him so much as just saying what the reality is in college football as a whole. As long as you have boosters and hangers on, it doesnt matter how upright the organization looks or actually is. There will still be plenty of white envelopes and other violations going on.

I'm not saying I agree with it or that there arent plenty of good people to balance it out,individuals can make their own choice . if the NCAA really tried, 50 schools would be in violation but you cant spread the flashlight around that much. Who knows, Texas might be decent? but if they are, they are in the minority.

SmoothPancakes
06-02-2011, 05:23 AM
Pryor's driving privileges have been suspended for 90 days because he failed to produce proof of insurance when he was pulled over for a stop-sign violation on Feb. 19 in Columbus. Pryor received repeated requests to appear in traffic court to show that he had valid insurance before he eventually paid a $141 fine and court costs on April 2. But Ohio authorities say he has never produced proof of insurance.

Apparently dumbass never learned. Got pulled over on Feb. 19th for a stop sign violation. And in the video on ESPN yesterday, the douchebag go and rolls right through a stop sign without even trying to stop. I'm not very educated in the whole aspect of police and video, but is it possible for Pryor to get cited for that due to a video clearly showing him blowing right through a stop sign or does a cop physically need to witness the event? And what about driving on a suspended license?

souljahbill
06-02-2011, 05:41 AM
Apparently dumbass never learned. Got pulled over on Feb. 19th for a stop sign violation. And in the video on ESPN yesterday, the douchebag go and rolls right through a stop sign without even trying to stop. I'm not very educated in the whole aspect of police and video, but is it possible for Pryor to get cited for that due to a video clearly showing him blowing right through a stop sign or does a cop physically need to witness the event? And what about driving on a suspended license?

I don't know if they have them where you are but here in Baton Rouge, we have those accident causing red light cameras. If they can give you a ticket via automatic camera, I sure they could do it via video if they wanted to pursue it.

AustinWolv
06-02-2011, 07:21 AM
I wasnt mocking him so much as just saying what the reality is in college football as a whole. As long as you have boosters and hangers on, it doesnt matter how upright the organization looks or actually is. There will still be plenty of white envelopes and other violations going on.

And you just touched on the difference between schools that try to comply with the rules and those that don't. And that is exactly why USC got busted, why OSU is getting busted..............boosters and such will cheat and if someone really wanted to hide stuff, they could be super-secretive, but the difference that you touched upon? Does the school or coaching staff know and if they do, what do they do about it???
That article shows what being proactive is about, so if some Texas player did take something, that player would have to successfully hide it and not flaunt it and the school + coaching staff is showing that they are committed to not have it happen. Compare that to OSU saying they did 'spot checks' and their administration making jokes earlier this year about the tatt-gate issue and saying they didn't find any problems during their 'supposed' internal investigation.

Intent shows a lot to the NCAA.

SmoothPancakes
06-02-2011, 08:23 AM
dude, you are talking about morals and intelligence and none of that applies here.
Major college sports is a black market..yes of course people are responsible for their actions but this is a privileged world in major ncaa sports. You cant compare guys who inlist in the military or military colleges to self absorbed all star athletes.

and even some of the best raised kids dont think properly at that young age. The older you get you will realize no kid gets it. Thats called wisdom and takes a while to sink in.
they are still influenced by the people around them and when a top 20 school bends all the rules, that is considered the norm and everyone follows..each individual has to take his own life into account, but on a mass level you cant blame the kids as much as leaders who make it and let it happen.

sure,we all say a scholorship is enough but in truth, thats minimal exchange for national tv exposure and everything else that comes with it

And they need to start changing that if it's a black market. If you get caught like Pryor, Clarett, Bush, etc, hell, strip them permanently of all eligibility, strip them of their athletic scholarships, if the NCAA could get away with it, kick their ass out of college. They need to make this shit a death sentence to players who are caught doing this shit.

And yes, I still say they are as much to blame, and to me, more than, as the coaches and administration. While the coaches and administrations need to do MORE than what they are now to make sure none of this is happening, it still all STARTS with the players. It takes a player accepting this crap to begin this whole process. Again, every orientaton and meeting and class they go through, they know DAMN WELL that this crap they are doing and accepting are entirely illegal.

It's called these "I'm gonna take what I want and don't give a damn about the laws/rules" douchebags are being recruited for their athletic talent and that only. If the NCAA and schools would start actually giving a damn about the STUDENT portion of student athlete again, and not be admitting these dumbass 20 IQ atheletes solely for their ability to run a football, we'd be able to run these thugs out of the school and clean shit up.

And I don't give a damn what the hell they think they are entitled to or should receive "because their scholarship is minimal exchange for national tv exposure and everything else that comes with it". They KNOW that legally, that scholarship is ALL that they can receive. If they have a problem with that, then don't sign the goddamn thing. They have absolutely no problem signing and accepting that scholarship, and the limitations of it, when they're in HS.

And if they're too immature or too stupid to realize what they are signing and agreeing to when they sign that scholarship, and don't like it later, too goddamn bad. You should have paid a little more attention earlier when you agreed to it. I can't sign a contract for something here in the real world and then decided 6 months later or a year later that I don't like it because I didn't bother to read it all and take the time to realize what I'm signing.

I'm only 24, I sit here working long ass hours and don't get paid as much as I think I should, but you don't see me taking money from the cash box, or putting down a bunch of hours I didn't work. And while not a direct analogy, it's similar. These players think they should be getting more than just their scholarship, and are taking money from other sources. I think I should get paid more from my job, but I don't take money from other sources or through other processes.

And for the record, I think they should be damn glad they get a scholarship and free ride. Even with a partial academic scholarship that I got, I still will be paying student loans off for a while. Yet they're bitching because even though they are getting their college entirely paid for, and a good portion will be making hundreds of thousands and millions of dollars in four years or less (especially these top talent players who WILL be going into the NFL, and are the ones getting caught), they think they should get a bunch of stuff right now. Bullshit.

And for the people saying "well, they're practicing every day, have team meetings and other stuff that make it impossible to have a job at all or have a job that they can make any money worth a damn at", it's called compromise. You want to play college football, you're gonna have to suck it up and deal with not being able to work. You want to work and get money to spend, don't play college football. It's called making choices. People do it in the real world. These crybaby bitches can suck it up and do the same thing.

souljahbill
06-02-2011, 08:35 AM
And they need to start changing that if it's a black market. If you get caught like Pryor, Clarett, Bush, etc, hell, strip them permanently of all eligibility, strip them of their athletic scholarships, if the NCAA could get away with it, kick their ass out of college. They need to make this shit a death sentence to players who are caught doing this shit.

And yes, I still say they are as much to blame, and to me, more than, as the coaches and administration. While the coaches and administrations need to do MORE than what they are now to make sure none of this is happening, it still all STARTS with the players. It takes a player accepting this crap to begin this whole process. Again, every orientaton and meeting and class they go through, they know DAMN WELL that this crap they are doing and accepting are entirely illegal.

It's called these "I'm gonna take what I want and don't give a damn about the laws/rules" douchebags are being recruited for their athletic talent and that only. If the NCAA and schools would start actually giving a damn about the STUDENT portion of student athlete again, and not be admitting these dumbass 20 IQ atheletes solely for their ability to run a football, we'd be able to run these thugs out of the school and clean shit up.

And I don't give a damn what the hell they think they are entitled to or should receive "because their scholarship is minimal exchange for national tv exposure and everything else that comes with it". They KNOW that legally, that scholarship is ALL that they can receive. If they have a problem with that, then don't sign the goddamn thing. They have absolutely no problem signing and accepting that scholarship, and the limitations of it, when they're in HS.

And if they're too immature or too stupid to realize what they are signing and agreeing to when they sign that scholarship, and don't like it later, too goddamn bad. You should have paid a little more attention earlier when you agreed to it. I can't sign a contract for something here in the real world and then decided 6 months later or a year later that I don't like it because I didn't bother to read it all and take the time to realize what I'm signing.

I'm only 24, I sit here working long ass hours and don't get paid as much as I think I should, but you don't see me taking money from the cash box, or putting down a bunch of hours I didn't work. And while not a direct analogy, it's similar. These players think they should be getting more than just their scholarship, and are taking money from other sources. I think I should get paid more from my job, but I don't take money from other sources or through other processes.

And for the record, I think they should be damn glad they get a scholarship and free ride. Even with a partial academic scholarship that I got, I still will be paying student loans off for a while. Yet they're bitching because even though they are getting their college entirely paid for, and a good portion will be making hundreds of thousands and millions of dollars in four years or less (especially these top talent players who WILL be going into the NFL, and are the ones getting caught), they think they should get a bunch of stuff right now. Bullshit.

And for the people saying "well, they're practicing every day, have team meetings and other stuff that make it impossible to have a job at all or have a job that they can make any money worth a damn at", it's called compromise. You want to play college football, you're gonna have to suck it up and deal with not being able to work. You want to work and get money to spend, don't play college football. It's called making choices. People do it in the real world. These crybaby bitches can suck it up and do the same thing.
http://pictures.mastermarf.com/blog/2010/100619-u-still-mad.jpg

SmoothPancakes
06-02-2011, 08:41 AM
http://pictures.mastermarf.com/blog/2010/100619-u-still-mad.jpg

Not mad, just trying to emphatically get my point/opinion across. ;)

AustinWolv
06-02-2011, 09:32 AM
Smooth, I hear ya. And know that not all of them athletes are like the entitled ones.

For some humor, and not trying to pile on Jeff too much as he's like one of the few rational good O$U fans out there, but this is just too amusing of a quote not to share from Tom Dienhart over at Rivals:

3. Heads in the sand. The more I think about it, the more I wonder: Will Ohio State president E. Gordon Gee and athletic director Gene Smith survive in Columbus? With all that is alleged to have gone on, it's difficult to believe neither Gee nor Smith had any inkling of some of the stuff that's alleged to have been taking place. And if they were totally in the dark, well, shame on them for being totally clueless about their football program. Gee looks especially dubious. Tressel's resignation makes Gee's comments at a news conference in March look even sillier. When asked if he would fire Tressel, Gee laughed and said, "No, are you kidding me? Let me be very clear. I'm just hoping the coach doesn't dismiss me." That quote will haunt Gee, who comes off as a jock-sniffer in a bow tie.

souljahbill
06-02-2011, 09:33 AM
Not mad, just trying to emphatically get my point/opinion across. ;)

:D Honestly, I didn't think you were mad. I just figured the picture would be a funny response to your rant.

morsdraconis
06-02-2011, 10:08 AM
...Awesome rant...

I very much agree with everything. The whole NCAA, university, and student athlete thing is such a joke, it's becoming played out.

JBHuskers
06-02-2011, 10:17 AM

http://www.sportspickle.com/news/6590/report-terrelle-pryors-private-jet-not-registered-in-ohio

AustinWolv
06-02-2011, 11:02 AM
“The Gulfstream is his,” said Craig Pryor. “We bought him a used Toyota Camry before his freshman year and he traded it in for the plane. End of story.”
LOL

SmoothPancakes
06-02-2011, 11:49 AM
Smooth, I hear ya. And know that not all of them athletes are like the entitled ones.

For some humor, and not trying to pile on Jeff too much as he's like one of the few rational good O$U fans out there, but this is just too amusing of a quote not to share from Tom Dienhart over at Rivals:

Oh no, I'm very much glad there are still tons of honest, clean athletes that are smart and actually follow the rules. If something could just be done about these entitled, "future superstar" players that think they deserve this and that and should get and damn the NCAA and it's rules, college football and college sports in general would be cleaned up in a hurry.

:D Honestly, I didn't think you were mad. I just figured the picture would be a funny response to your rant.

:D Oh, I was laughing this morning when I saw that picture. That was a good call. Completely forgot to edit the :D into my response to that picture.

I very much agree with everything. The whole NCAA, university, and student athlete thing is such a joke, it's becoming played out.

Yeah, it's been getting to that point for years. I honestly hope someone will come in and something get set up between the NCAA, the NFL, and all these "lesser" professional football leagues and have it be like Major League Baseball. Go to the "minor leagues" out of high school if you want and play football professionally and get paid for it and maybe work your way into the NFL. If you really want to earn an education while playing football, and aren't just using these scholarships as nothing but a means to play football for 3 years and get money under the table from boosters before going onto the NFL, then go and play college football.

All I know is something needs to be done to either completely eliminate this booster money crap, and either reel in these self entitled douchebag athletes or keep them from ruining future teams for universities and future athletes. Because of Reggie Bush (and others), the current USC players are paying the penalty for something he did long before they arrived on campus. Same thing at Ohio State when the penalties come down in the future. Future players are going to pay the price for Pryor and these other players, who will be long gone earning millions in the NFL and not give a damn about what their stupidity did and what they caused to have happen to Ohio State. You think Pryor's really going to give a damn that he directly had a hand in bringing a ton of penalties down upon Ohio State and ruining chances of B10 championship games or bowl games or national titles for future Ohio State players? Hell no. All he's going to care about is what will he blow a million dollars on next.

oweb26
06-02-2011, 12:14 PM
Smooth I think you are right on point with some variation of a "minor league" .

Though I really do believe as the system stands today we need to do away with this notion that we are dealing with "amateur athletes".

I really think you are taking this entirely too personal though, if you look at it from a high profile athletes perspective, you are getting paid roughly 100,000 over a 4 year time span. THe college during the same time span is getting paid roughly 1-5 million dollars yearly off of the work you are doing does this math really equal out?? You cant compare that you are working long hours and you aren't stealing, you aren't getting raped like these so called "amatuer athletes" are either.

That about where I stopped reading your really long rant at.:D

SmoothPancakes
06-02-2011, 12:33 PM
Smooth I think you are right on point with some variation of a "minor league" .

Though I really do believe as the system stands today we need to do away with this notion that we are dealing with "amateur athletes".

I really think you are taking this entirely too personal though, if you look at it from a high profile athletes perspective, you are getting paid roughly 100,000 over a 4 year time span. THe college during the same time span is getting paid roughly 1-5 million dollars yearly off of the work you are doing does this math really equal out?? You cant compare that you are working long hours and you aren't stealing, you aren't getting raped like these so called "amatuer athletes" are either.

That about where I stopped reading your really long rant at.:D

I'm just sick of seeing college football as a whole and entire teams ruined for future players because of a selfish few who think they are more special then everyone else and entitled to certain things, when they aren't entitled to anything. That's probably why I seem to be taking it too personal. I'm just tired of the never ending bull from this stuff. And while definitely nowhere near on the same scale, I get paid birdseed essentially to talk certain things up on air that in turn makes our market, and then Clear Channel as a whole, thousands and thousands of dollars more each year than they would have made, while I don't see anything from that extra money in my paycheck. So like I said, definitely not a direct analogy, but I do feel the same way at times. :D

And still, sure, they may get $100,000 or however much of free education compared to the millions the schools and NCAA are making, but that never changes. These kids KNOW this before they ever get out of high school. The NCAA and schools didn't make it some giant secret that just suddenly leaked out last year or something. Like I said, if these players have such a major problem with this stuff, don't sign and agree to the scholarship. They aren't being forced to play college football. Playing college football is a choice. They choose to play and choose to take on all the complications that come with it (the school and NCAA making money off of you, being unable to work at all or work much, etc), none of this has ever changed, it's always been the same year after year.

oweb26
06-02-2011, 02:08 PM
I'm just sick of seeing college football as a whole and entire teams ruined for future players because of a selfish few who think they are more special then everyone else and entitled to certain things, when they aren't entitled to anything. That's probably why I seem to be taking it too personal. I'm just tired of the never ending bull from this stuff. And while definitely nowhere near on the same scale, I get paid birdseed essentially to talk certain things up on air that in turn makes our market, and then Clear Channel as a whole, thousands and thousands of dollars more each year than they would have made, while I don't see anything from that extra money in my paycheck. So like I said, definitely not a direct analogy, but I do feel the same way at times. :D

And still, sure, they may get $100,000 or however much of free education compared to the millions the schools and NCAA are making, but that never changes. These kids KNOW this before they ever get out of high school. The NCAA and schools didn't make it some giant secret that just suddenly leaked out last year or something. Like I said, if these players have such a major problem with this stuff, don't sign and agree to the scholarship. They aren't being forced to play college football. Playing college football is a choice. They choose to play and choose to take on all the complications that come with it (the school and NCAA making money off of you, being unable to work at all or work much, etc), none of this has ever changed, it's always been the same year after year.

But lets be honest here if playing football is all you can do (which I think is safe to assume that it all most of them can do, see:T. Pryor) and thats how you choose to make your living then they shoudl be able to without getting raped in the process, or going through a system that is designed to make money off them for in essence free.

Actually the amount of money college football makes now its 10x if not more than what they made say 30 years ago when alot of these rules were made, so the entire landscape has changed and so shoudl the rules.

I will use Texas as an example a quick google search shows they made 72.95 million in 2009, in 2010 they made 92 million, which 68 million of it was pure profit. Tell me how you can justify kids playing football for 100,000 stretched over 4-5 years is worth the same now, when the school football program alone has almost doubled its income.

This isn't 1960 when you play for the school and everything is great and its not a booming business, we are talking about a one billion dollar industry. They have labor laws for any other business in this situation. :)

SmoothPancakes
06-02-2011, 02:24 PM
But lets be honest here if playing football is all you can do (which I think is safe to assume that it all most of them can do, see:T. Pryor) and thats how you choose to make your living then they shoudl be able to without getting raped in the process, or going through a system that is designed to make money off them for in essence free.

Actually the amount of money college football makes now its 10x if not more than what they made say 30 years ago when alot of these rules were made, so the entire landscape has changed and so shoudl the rules.

I will use Texas as an example a quick google search shows they made 72.95 million in 2009, in 2010 they made 92 million, which 68 million of it was pure profit. Tell me how you can justify kids playing football for 100,000 stretched over 4-5 years is worth the same now, when the school football program alone has almost doubled its income.

This isn't 1960 when you play for the school and everything is great and its not a booming business, we are talking about a one billion dollar industry. They have labor laws for any other business in this situation. :)

If that's all they can do, then they'll make plenty of money in the NFL. If the NFL is their only hope of money, a career, or success in their life, then their ass shouldn't be in college ruining things for other athletes. And what about all the other athletes? Should baseball players get paid? Basketball? What about tennis? Soccer? Lacrosse? They're athletes too. They can't work or can't work as many hours as non-athletes since they're busy with stuff for their sport too. Some schools (not all since some lose money on these other sports, but some) are making money off of them. Even if football is the cash cow of college sports, what makes football players so special over other athletes? Why should football players get paid but everyone gets the middle finger? There's a reason why college athletes don't get paid, because if that happens, a whole TON of cans of worms are being opened in the process.

ram29jackson
06-02-2011, 02:27 PM
North Carolina
Florida State
USC
Ohio State
Auburn- if he isnt doing anything wrong, why is he throwing a laptop out a window?
Notre Dame- the negligence of not telling the kid the weather was too bad falls into this category.
SMU wasnt a dark tragedy, it was the blueprint that showed, this is how you win. The Miami Hurricanes of the 80s etc

schools bending the rules and doing everything they can to get the best players ,or preparing for the next game being the most important thing to do are the norm, the standard. Not the rare exception.

AustinWolv
06-02-2011, 02:27 PM
BTW, the example of Texas rolling in all that money is rather rare. Only a handful or perhaps half-a-handful of schools in the US roll in that much money like Texas. Most schools, especially non-BSC ones, couldn't afford pay programs for all their athletes, much less expect the football program alone to fund such a thing considering a lot of football programs out there actually pay for other sports to exist. Most schools simply don't have that kind of money to pay athletes.

Who does you ask?

The BCS, which is a fucking sham and is making people rich off at the expense of the schools as much as the football players.

ram29jackson
06-02-2011, 02:33 PM
If that's all they can do, then they'll make plenty of money in the NFL. If the NFL is their only hope of money, a career, or success in their life, then their ass shouldn't be in college ruining things for other athletes. And what about all the other athletes? Should baseball players get paid? Basketball? What about tennis? Soccer? Lacrosse? They're athletes too. They can't work or can't work as many hours as non-athletes since they're busy with stuff for their sport too. Some schools (not all since some lose money on these other sports, but some) are making money off of them. Even if football is the cash cow of college sports, what makes football players so special over other athletes? Why should football players get paid but everyone gets the middle finger? There's a reason why college athletes don't get paid, because if that happens, a whole TON of cans of worms are being opened in the process.

sports that dont garner national attention, dont have an argument...of course there will always be the pin head trying to argue that Lacrosse and womens bowling is getting screwed when no one gives a damn about them.....theres a waste of funding, womens college bowling..mens too haha

SmoothPancakes
06-02-2011, 02:45 PM
sports that dont garner national attention, dont have an argument...of course there will always be the pin head trying to argue that Lacrosse and womens bowling is getting screwed when no one gives a damn about them.....theres a waste of funding, womens college bowling..mens too haha

Whether anyone gives a damn or not doesn't matter. If you're going to pay the athletes of one sport, then ALL athletes of ALL sports should be getting paid. Otherwise, hello a shit ton of lawsuits from all those athletes of the "sports no one gives a damn about". And like I said, real great message you're sending, this group of athletes are more entitled than that group of athletes, if you just pay college football and no one else, or football and basketball and no one else.

And trust me, some of those sports, soccer, lacrosse, tennis, etc, DO have large followings/fanbases. Just because you might not give a damn about them, doesn't mean no one gives a damn.

oweb26
06-02-2011, 03:15 PM
I agree with austin that only a handful of programs has that kind of money, but that is exactly why it's relevant, isn't this problem only effecting a handful of schools? Schools that have the money to get these players and the kind of boosters willing to pay? I doubt you will hear of UT-Chattanooga paying anyone.

I am in total agreence that all athletes should be paid, but I feel like it should be on a sliding scale. The tennis scholar knows that by majority there career will end in college so their free education means alot more than someone who can make alot more doing playing their sport so again smooth your agrument doesnt hold that much weight, plus the tennis player doesn't have to go to college to go professional they can go pro at 16 if they are good enough, so can the bowler, track star, or pretty much every other sport besides the cash cows.

PS. I gotta subscribe to this thread so I can get phone updates.

souljahbill
06-02-2011, 03:21 PM
Also, let it be said that while Ohio State may be making millions of Pryor, I doubt a school like Western Kentucky is making millions off of whoever their best player is. Because SOME players are underpaid pros doesn't mean every football player is so it is important to protect the amateur status as much as possible.

oweb26
06-02-2011, 03:24 PM
This thread has morphed so far beyond Jim Tressel who cares about him anymore. We might need to lobby for a title change.

ram29jackson
06-02-2011, 03:30 PM
Whether anyone gives a damn or not doesn't matter. If you're going to pay the athletes of one sport, then ALL athletes of ALL sports should be getting paid. Otherwise, hello a shit ton of lawsuits from all those athletes of the "sports no one gives a damn about". And like I said, real great message you're sending, this group of athletes are more entitled than that group of athletes, if you just pay college football and no one else, or football and basketball and no one else.

And trust me, some of those sports, soccer, lacrosse, tennis, etc, DO have large followings/fanbases. Just because you might not give a damn about them, doesn't mean no one gives a damn.

I'm not sending the message Smooth, its already the status quo.

the fact is ,no, the other sports dont generate enough attention for any valid argument. Its the football program or Basketball depending on the school, that generates serious revenue for an entire season. No one gives a damn about the other sports on tv till play off time and even then are only shown because there is nothing else to show.
Its political correctness that dictates we need to televise womens softball and basketball when the fact is ,no one watches it and it generates little revenue if any. Of course they never will pay college athletes but if so a criteria for max generated income would have to be met for the players to get anything and most football programs would be the only ones to qualify.

while womens water polo might be fascinating for most men to watch, its really a waste of money and time haha

ram29jackson
06-02-2011, 03:32 PM
Also, let it be said that while Ohio State may be making millions of Pryor, I doubt a school like Western Kentucky is making millions off of whoever their best player is. Because SOME players are underpaid pros doesn't mean every football player is so it is important to protect the amateur status as much as possible.

which is why I say a school would have to reach an income level to be qualified to give an allowance of some sort..so , again, the big schools would always still win because thats where the kids want to go for money

ram29jackson
06-02-2011, 03:33 PM
This thread has morphed so far beyond Jim Tressel who cares about him anymore. We might need to lobby for a title change.

no it hasnt. This is the J Tressel, college corruption thread haha

oweb26
06-02-2011, 03:34 PM
while womens water polo might be fascinating for most men to watch, its really a waste of money and time haha

I cant agree with its a waste of time, water polo is putting some girl through college, (even though they are playing water polo and could have paid for college anyway more than likely, thats not exactly something poor people play) and I am all for that, but as you stated its the PC in this world that says we have to show it and do for everyone across the board.

oweb26
06-02-2011, 03:35 PM
no it hasnt. This is the J Tressel, college corruption thread haha

Prefect thread title...MODS we need a name change. :D:nod:

ram29jackson
06-02-2011, 03:41 PM
do schools in England give Dart throwing scholarships?...just a thought...?

AustinWolv
06-02-2011, 03:57 PM

Here you go: http://www.dispatch.com/live/content//local_news/stories/2009/05/31/FERPA_OSU.ART_ART_05-31-09_A14_D4E14K6.html

ram29jackson
06-02-2011, 09:23 PM
liar liar vest on fire

http://img688.imageshack.us/img688/7522/vestinpeacetshirt.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/688/vestinpeacetshirt.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

JeffHCross
06-02-2011, 09:46 PM
For some humor, and not trying to pile on Jeff too much as he's like one of the few rational good O$U fans out there, but this is just too amusing of a quote not to share from Tom Dienhart over at Rivals:Oh, and I totally agree with Dienhart on that one. I honestly don't know what to think about President Gee's ridiculous quote. I know he was joking, but I also know he's smart enough to know better. He's a very good President, and I'm glad to have him (and the people calling for his resignation are incredibly foolish). But man, oh man, what a ridiculous quote.

President Gee is a football fanboi, but personally I like that. I think it just got the better of him that day.

Here you go: http://www.dispatch.com/live/content//local_news/stories/2009/05/31/FERPA_OSU.ART_ART_05-31-09_A14_D4E14K6.htmlAs far as FERPA's concerned ... I can say from first-hand experience that Ohio State is very protective when it comes to FERPA. I got a lesson in FERPA when a student in my department went missing. Certainly looks like we've abused it though, based on that article.

As far as new news goes ... my reaction to Pryor's car may have been an overreaction ... 80,000 miles on that sucker (http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/sports/stories/2011/06/02/pryors-mother-bought-quarterbacks-car.html?sid=101). I still have a feeling that something he did is going to end up being the catalyst for problems -- but maybe not this car, at least.

And here's OSU LB Tyler Moeller's thoughts on the whole mess (http://tylertime26.wordpress.com/2011/05/28/everybody-is-doing-it-right/). An interesting read, at least.

AustinWolv
06-03-2011, 07:49 AM
So Rolle turned down a car. But in the article I saw of his interview, nobody thought to ask him who offered him the car????

Some good journalism right there.

As for Tyler, he forgot #6: I am mad at Coach Tress for plainly lying over a long period of time to keep the stars around in order to win some games instead of practicing what he preaches. It is disappointing that he was willing to sacrifice all of us and OSU football for a few instead of showing faith and trust in the players who didn't cheat the rules. (Well, except for the juice that a bunch of guys are on.......)

:p

Tyler's 'story' is what should be expected.......the supposed story of pretty much any college athlete out there.

ram29jackson
06-03-2011, 04:18 PM
So Rolle turned down a car. But in the article I saw of his interview, nobody thought to ask him who offered him the car????

Some good journalism right there.

As for Tyler, he forgot #6: I am mad at Coach Tress for plainly lying over a long period of time to keep the stars around in order to win some games instead of practicing what he preaches. It is disappointing that he was willing to sacrifice all of us and OSU football for a few instead of showing faith and trust in the players who didn't cheat the rules. (Well, except for the juice that a bunch of guys are on.......)

:p

Tyler's 'story' is what should be expected.......the supposed story of pretty much any college athlete out there.

that was 20-30 years ago dude, If you want to win in big time college sports, the Tressel way is how it is done

AustinWolv
06-03-2011, 08:30 PM
I know that isn't a fact in fact.

ram29jackson
06-03-2011, 08:39 PM
I know that isn't a fact in fact.

how so ? the last decade is nothing but pure evidence that its true. The top 20 schools do anything they can to get the best meat on the field and that involves money and under the table promises. Its reality-period

AustinWolv
06-03-2011, 08:56 PM
Prove it for each team. Or the next 50 that EACH of them is in fact doing it through the school's program.

ram29jackson
06-03-2011, 09:21 PM
Prove it for each team. Or the next 50 that EACH of them is in fact doing it through the school's program.

of course I dont have folders full of stuff haha. But it doesnt take much to understand that when 2 or 3 teams are pegged in a short period of time that this is just the tip of the problem. And I'm just trying to converse about it, I'm not trying to troll or get under anyone's skin. I'm approaching this like when my friends and I get together with a couple beers and debate stuff, so dont take it personal.
I'm sorry, but in the real world, more people are dishonest then not and even those who start out decent go with the flow eventually. Sure , I dont like it nor do I defend it, But if you look at it logically you realize this is how its done...and one reason its becoming more obvious now is the BCS trying to deflect attention to themselves after it being obvious they want a bowl system because it greases their pockets. Before, it was , you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours. Now, everyone is looking over their shoulder trying to point the finger elsewhere.

averages- if you find one school doing it, that means 5 to 10 are doing the same thing
I already listed 5 schools over the last 5 years who were busted for something , that means its no shot in the dark minority project. And the North Carolina player who was highly sought after said it loud and clear "everyone does it "

you want that 50, just go to the NCAA offices and see if they let you look at their folders, or the ones they keep of their personal financial records haha

AustinWolv
06-04-2011, 12:12 AM
{rolling eyes}

'everyone is doing it' is played out and a cop out by the guilty. Plenty of athletes at major schools refute that.

Remember there is a distinction between complicit programs that foster the atmosphere and cheat versus the rogue player who breaks rules on his own. There is much more of the latter than the former.

ram29jackson
06-04-2011, 03:11 PM
{rolling eyes}

'everyone is doing it' is played out and a cop out by the guilty. Plenty of athletes at major schools refute that.

Remember there is a distinction between complicit programs that foster the atmosphere and cheat versus the rogue player who breaks rules on his own. There is much more of the latter than the former.

plenty of athletes at major schools refute it ? yeah, thats called lying to cover your ass. or they just werent the kind of recruit the school felt the need to kiss up to to get.

the cheating programs are always in the top 40. they may be the minority but they will always be the schools with more wins.

if everyone doesnt do it then why are so many winning schools getting busted in the news ? Again, 5 schools with big busts in the last 3 years means that 25 to 50 schools are doing the same thing. It is the major college culture to cheat in order to win.
no one cares about the 60 or 70 schools who do things right because they are the losing teams who get the lesser recruits.

the only schools that get a pass are Army, Navy Air Force and BYU...and even BYU cheats because they red shirt and then send their guys on missions so they come back older and a little bigger so they can remotely compete in major college ball haha

we arent talking about a 12 year old kid who got busted and makes an excuse that everyone does it to save face.
This was a highly recruited player who, no doubt was wanted by everyone in the ACC and SEC aside from many other schools.
I doubt the ones that were really pushing to get him only promised basic, legal, fair things.

If a Ohio State is doing it who is always in the top 10 and a North carolina is doing it who hardly ever makes top 10. That means everyone in between is doing it as well.

DariusLock
06-04-2011, 05:11 PM
the only schools that get a pass are Army, Navy Air Force and BYU...and even BYU cheats because they red shirt and then send their guys on missions so they come back older and a little bigger so they can remotely compete in major college ball haha

In their defense, most Mormons end up going on Missions right after High School or early into their College life.

ram29jackson
06-04-2011, 05:28 PM
In their defense, most Mormons end up going on Missions right after High School or early into their College life.

that doesnt lessen the fact that the football team tries to use that as a small advantage in weight and maturity of players. If they didnt do that, they would always be in the bottom 30 and never in the middle 50 of rankings.

AustinWolv
06-04-2011, 07:49 PM
Your mind is made up based on subjective opinion and bias. No use discussing further.

SmoothPancakes
06-04-2011, 08:20 PM
Your mind is made up based on subjective opinion and bias. No use discussing further.

I have to agree with AustinWolv. Right now, everything you are saying is based squarely on your opinion and your idea of percentages of stuff, even if you claim it is fact. To me, it is nothing but pure opinion, speculation, and, as Austin said, bias, unless you produce actual, hard facts from various sources.

ram29jackson
06-05-2011, 04:59 AM
I have to agree with AustinWolv. Right now, everything you are saying is based squarely on your opinion and your idea of percentages of stuff, even if you claim it is fact. To me, it is nothing but pure opinion, speculation, and, as Austin said, bias, unless you produce actual, hard facts from various sources.

when 5 schools are caught doing something in a 3 year span, it means more than just those schools are doing the same thing.
Thats all it can mean.they cant just be isolated incidents.

JeffHCross
06-05-2011, 12:42 PM
when 5 schools are caught doing something in a 3 year span, it means more than just those schools are doing the same thing.Are other schools doing it? Sure. Is everybody doing 'something'? Probably. 'Something' is a rather wide range. In my opinion, it's disingenuous to even lump the schools that have gotten into trouble together. Auburn's situation is not Ohio State's is not USC's is not Tennessee's is not North Carolina's.

And that sure as hell doesn't mean everybody's doing it.

And BYU doesn't cheat by having players that go on Missions. Period.

ram29jackson
06-05-2011, 04:03 PM
Are other schools doing it? Sure. Is everybody doing 'something'? Probably. 'Something' is a rather wide range. In my opinion, it's disingenuous to even lump the schools that have gotten into trouble together. Auburn's situation is not Ohio State's is not USC's is not Tennessee's is not North Carolina's.

And that sure as hell doesn't mean everybody's doing it.

And BYU doesn't cheat by having players that go on Missions. Period.

when I say everybody, I of course mean major programs who are in the top 20 to 40.
its disingenuous to lump them together ? a violation is a violation.
Of course i'm making a joke with BYU but it stands to reason that no other school uses such an idea to their advantage and its true that if BYU didnt do that they would be ranked next to all the sun belt schools year after year haha.

college ball is about getting superior meat on the field and getting wins.
do you think Randy Moss or Jamarcus Russell ever went to a class? I doubt it, but those schools did everything possible to get those physical freaks back on a field. That story happens every year over and over along with little white envelopes of money.
the schools that get busted are the ones who let it get out of control, which of course always happens eventually due to greed etc.

CLW
06-06-2011, 04:00 PM
Apparently THE Ohio State University wants to get rid of any other evidence of wrong doing by "scrub everything". NCAA better get in there quick before all of the evidence winds up in the shredder. :nod: :D

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6631784

JeffHCross
06-06-2011, 10:07 PM
before all of the evidence winds up in the shredder. :nod: :DI agree with the sentiment of tearing down the whole department and starting from scratch ... but good grief, word choice.

psusnoop
06-07-2011, 11:23 AM
And more about OSU

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2011/06/07/details-revealed-on-tressel-calls.html?sid=101

gschwendt
06-07-2011, 04:46 PM
http://twitter.com/#!/PDBuckeyes/status/78215497098862592

BREAKING NEWS: Terrelle Pryor has decided to end his football career at Ohio State, per his lawyer

CLW
06-07-2011, 06:23 PM

Yep called this one. I now think he NEVER plays a down of remotely competitive football again. I.e. he NEVER plays a down in the NFL

AustinWolv
06-07-2011, 06:55 PM

His high-powered lawyer that is a bigshot in OH, is highly likely working the case for free, and so happens to be highly associated with O$U..........how convenient that Pryor isn't obligated to talk to the NCAA now that he isn't a college athlete.

ram29jackson
06-07-2011, 07:11 PM
His high-powered lawyer that is a bigshot in OH, is highly likely working the case for free, and so happens to be highly associated with O$U..........how convenient that Pryor isn't obligated to talk to the NCAA now that he isn't a college athlete.

CFL - say hello to your next big draw !!!!

CLW
06-07-2011, 09:07 PM
Pryor made $40K signing garbage and selling it.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6637444

THE Ohio State should just lay a ban hammer on themselves right now and PRAY the NCAA doesn't give them THE Death Penalty. This story is NOT going away and it is ONLY going to keep getting worse the more the media and NCAA digs into this.

THUGS runnin' wild with Sweater Vest at the helm.

JBHuskers
06-07-2011, 09:58 PM
Yeah the NFL CBA needs to have a supplemental draft for him to play this year. He basically has to TEAR it up at the UFL or CFL levels.

For once, someone high profile has to REALLY work for a payday.

JeffHCross
06-07-2011, 09:58 PM

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6637444Yep, we're done.

PRAY the NCAA doesn't give them THE Death Penalty.Never gonna get the Death Penalty though. Go watch 30 for 30 ... the two situations really don't compare.

souljahbill
06-08-2011, 04:07 AM

THE Ohio State should just lay a ban hammer on themselves right now and PRAY the NCAA doesn't give them THE Death Penalty. This story is NOT going away and it is ONLY going to keep getting worse the more the media and NCAA digs into this.

40k?

It took me 5 years, post grad school, to pull in a 40k year.

ram29jackson
06-08-2011, 04:18 AM
40k?

It took me 5 years, post grad school, to pull in a 40k year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZHCVyllnck

CLW
06-08-2011, 08:56 AM
Yep, we're done.
Never gonna get the Death Penalty though. Go watch 30 for 30 ... the two situations really don't compare.

While it has yet to be proven just assume arguendo that the NCAA/media uncovers that the multiple car purchases were NOT legit and that some/many of them were free. Moreover, assume that someone in the Athletic Department knew or heard rumors of that was going on and funneled football players to that dealer for that purpose. Finally, assume it is discovered/learned that this has been going on since Sweater Vest arrived on campus and he simply took his thug ways from Youngstown to Columbus.

You now have players making $40,000 a year (which by the way is well over the Average Ohioian - if that is the proper word - yearly salary) in violation of NCAA rules.

You now have players getting free cars and tatoos.

AND (most importantly)

You now have the Athletic Dept knowing about this and funneling players to it in blatant violation of NCAA rules for a number of years.

They may not give THE Ohio St. the death penalty but IMHO this is going to be the biggest/hardest penalty since that death penalty case. You are probably looking at the possibilit of: (1) no bowl games; (2) massive reduction in scholarships; (3) no tv time; (4) giving up all $ awarded to the school for the bowl games under Sweater Vest for MANY (say probably 5 years). While it may not technically end the program it will certainly end Ohio State's chances for competing for championships for most likely a decade if not longer.

psuexv
06-08-2011, 09:55 AM
Apparently Maurice Clarett is on the Dan Patrick show talking about the OSU situation. Not real sure that's who the Buckeyes need representing them right now. :smh:

gschwendt
06-08-2011, 10:05 AM
Apparently Maurice Clarett is on the Dan Patrick show talking about the OSU situation. Not real sure that's who the Buckeyes need representing them right now. :smh:
Yeah... I watched it. Nothing really new came out of it, just basically that "it's not the coaches, it's not the administration setting these deals up, it's the players going through their own contacts that stuff like this happens".

morsdraconis
06-08-2011, 11:08 AM
Yeah... I watched it. Nothing really new came out of it, just basically that "it's not the coaches, it's not the administration setting these deals up, it's the players going through their own contacts that stuff like this happens".

More spin by tO$U trying to make people think that it's just the players. It's crystal clear that everyone knew what was happening, yet continued to allow it to happen, and they need to pay for allowing it.

CLW
06-08-2011, 12:56 PM
More spin by tO$U trying to make people think that it's just the players. It's crystal clear that everyone knew what was happening, yet continued to allow it to happen, and they need to pay for allowing it.

I won't go quite so far as to say that everyone KNEW what was happening. However, as we often say in the law, they SHOULD HAVE KNOWN (i.e. willfully turned a blind eye) what was going on. Either way, THE Ohio St. must be punished SEVERELY for what has gone on in their program for the past X number of years.

JeffHCross
06-08-2011, 08:52 PM
While it has yet to be proven just assume arguendo that the NCAA/media uncovers that the multiple car purchases were NOT legit and that some/many of them were free. Moreover, assume that someone in the Athletic Department knew or heard rumors of that was going on and funneled football players to that dealer for that purpose. Finally, assume it is discovered/learned that this has been going on since Sweater Vest arrived on campus and he simply took his thug ways from Youngstown to Columbus.That's a hell of a lot of assumptions though. I agree with you, that in that scenario the Death Penalty would be warranted (though I still think it wouldn't happen).

But there's so far nothing to suggest that anyone more than Pryor was responsible for the worst of the offenses you listed. The four remaining players implicated in the tattoos have already been punished. The other 9 who were listed in the SI article are, thus far, proving to not have any truth to the allegation.

And, in particular, the idea that someone in the Athletic Department knew it was going down is quite a large leap, based on the information at hand right now.

Again, if everything you suggested came true, I'd agree with you. But right now, it's a hell of a leap.

SMU got the Death Penalty because they blatantly violated NCAA rules, did it in the public eye, and metaphorically sent a big "Fuck You" to the NCAA.

I think Pryor is going to be the death of Ohio State, absolutely. I think he's going to be the equivalent for us of Reggie Bush. And there may be more going down with him, especially with the compliance department being clearly not up to par in dealing with any of this. But that's very different from what you believe will be found.

They may not give THE Ohio St. the death penalty but IMHO this is going to be the biggest/hardest penalty since that death penalty case.Quite honestly, I don't think anyone is going to get the Death Penalty ever again. I don't think the NCAA had any concept of how much that would kill SMU's program. And they wouldn't wish that on anyone. I wouldn't even wish that on Michigan.

More spin by tO$U trying to make people think that it's just the players.If you honestly believe that Maurice Clarett is in charge of spin control for Ohio State, I have some lakefront property for you.

If he's defending anyone, it's Tressel, whom Maurice was close to, not the university.

ram29jackson
06-08-2011, 10:19 PM
haha the OSU Will never get the death penalty it would kill revenue that tv and the NCAA love too much

steelerfan
06-09-2011, 05:05 AM
haha the OSU Will never get the death penalty it would kill revenue that tv and the NCAA love too much

While I agree that no Death Penalty is coming, it has nothing to do with TV revenue. If OSU falls into the abyss, another program will take their place. Recent struggles by UM and ND (where recent is 15 years, lol) and last year by UT haven't affected the NCAA coffers at all. Instead, the success of teams like Stanford, Oregon, and Boise have filled their wallets. Every time someone loses, someone else wins. The successful programs will always bring TV $ no matter who they are.

oweb26
06-09-2011, 05:46 AM
What? While I agree they will not get the death penalty, Standford, Oregon, and Boise bring no where near the TV revenue that OSU brings in. I dont think they will be hurting for anything but you I think this will go one or two way, they will get punished similar to USC (even though I fell like there crime is much worse), or they will not get punished as harsh because its OSU, I guess they could always go harsher than USC to make an example. IMO opinion they should get SEVERE punishments but in that same sentence I bet they look over the collegiate sports landscape now that one of there prize school has apparently been one of the worst breakers of the rules and some rules will change.

steelerfan
06-09-2011, 06:39 AM
What? While I agree they will not get the death penalty, Standford, Oregon, and Boise bring no where near the TV revenue that OSU brings in.

You're assuming the networks pay based on who is playing.

First, I'm certain the networks don't pay any more or less to air, for example, the Sugar Bowl based on who is in the game. Those contracts are worked out years in advance. Yes, if the MNC had 4 or 5 crappy match ups (which drew low ratings) in a row, it would affect the next TV deal but not significantly. Second, as I said, UM and ND have been average/bad for a few years and UT was 5-7 last year. That didn't cause the NCAA any sleepless nights though. The money keeps being printed at the same rate.

Ultimately, the way it works is that a network commits to pay $X million to air the BCS games (for example) several years before the games take place. When gameday actually arrives, the network is on the hook for that money regardless of whether it's OSU vs UT or it's Nevada vs WVU. The NCAA has made their money (just hasn't received it) years before the match up is set. The ones who sweat about having a huge match up are the network guys. They gave to be able to sell advertising time for enough $ to make a profit over what they paid to air the game. And, for them, offering Coca Cola a 30-second ad with a huge price tag is easier with OSU/UT than it is with Nevada/WVU.

AustinWolv
06-09-2011, 09:06 AM
I won't go quite so far as to say that everyone KNEW what was happening.
They knew. And while they thought they could cover it up with just Tress getting let go, they've been caught in other lies now, so the higher-ups are now said to be hoping to only get what USC got whereas previously they were maneuvering to avoid that type of sanction. There are 3 specifically that have major power and Gee and Smith are not untouchable at this point.

Jeff, what have you heard about a 503,c being funded by O$U interests, that ends up paying certain pipeline high school coaches handsomely for their services at week-long summer camps?

I agree with Jeff. No death penalty. But it won't be a cakewalk penalty either. Two opposing trails that need to meet at the same singular path: NCAA cannot be too harsh because it will piss off O$U and start a movement to end affiliation with the NCAA which is basically voluntary as it is and there are a number of large schools that aren't thrilled with the NCAA, enough to likely form their own mega-conference. NCAA cannot be too soft as it won't deter other schools from willingly cheating.

Yes, O$U has been willingly cheating. Make no mistake.

oweb26
06-09-2011, 09:07 AM

First, I'm certain the networks don't pay any more or less to air, for example, the Sugar Bowl based on who is in the game. Those contracts are worked out years in advance. Yes, if the MNC had 4 or 5 crappy match ups (which drew low ratings) in a row, it would affect the next TV deal but not significantly. Second, as I said, UM and ND have been average/bad for a few years and UT was 5-7 last year. That didn't cause the NCAA any sleepless nights though. The money keeps being printed at the same rate.

Ultimately, the way it works is that a network commits to pay $X million to air the BCS games (for example) several years before the games take place. When gameday actually arrives, the network is on the hook for that money regardless of whether it's OSU vs UT or it's Nevada vs WVU. The NCAA has made their money (just hasn't received it) years before the match up is set. The ones who sweat about having a huge match up are the network guys. They gave to be able to sell advertising time for enough $ to make a profit over what they paid to air the game. And, for them, offering Coca Cola a 30-second ad with a huge price tag is easier with OSU/UT than it is with Nevada/WVU.

While what you are saying is correct conceptually and even literally especially when you are talking about bowl games, schools like OSU, UT or any other traditional powerhouse will get a premium on there TV deals than say Boise, or Stanford. I guess we really cant say Oregon because they are getting there pretty fast.

I am speaking regular season TV deals I am almost certain that traditional powers get more money because as you said Coke will pay more advertising dollars to be shown on a OSU game than they will on a boise state game, which means money money for the NCAA if OSU is a good school than say if OSU is terrible and small, or even good and small.

As I stated Bowl game are entirely different and are gambles by the TV networks, but you can beat that they try really hard to not have Boise State in significant games, recently Boise has been to good to deny them the opportunity.

steelerfan
06-09-2011, 10:25 AM
While what you are saying is correct conceptually and even literally especially when you are talking about bowl games, schools like OSU, UT or any other traditional powerhouse will get a premium on there TV deals than say Boise, or Stanford. I guess we really cant say Oregon because they are getting there pretty fast.

I am speaking regular season TV deals I am almost certain that traditional powers get more money because as you said Coke will pay more advertising dollars to be shown on a OSU game than they will on a boise state game, which means money money for the NCAA if OSU is a good school than say if OSU is terrible and small, or even good and small.

As I stated Bowl game are entirely different and are gambles by the TV networks, but you can beat that they try really hard to not have Boise State in significant games, recently Boise has been to good to deny them the opportunity.

Well, it's still the same thing. ABC/ESPN pays $X per year to broadcast regular season games, then decides which games they will show based on projected viewership. The games they don't choose trickle down to the lesser networks who pay less knowing they will get lesser games.

None of that would change if OSU went away. Look at Miami. Their decline hasn't cost the NCAA a nickel. No program is bigger than the public's need to see games. The $ will be there with or without OSU.

SmoothPancakes
06-09-2011, 10:35 AM
Oh man, I hate think of the riots that will happen regarding the OSU-Michigan game if the NCAA were to go hardcore and tag on a TV ban for a couple years onto Ohio State's punishment.

oweb26
06-09-2011, 10:48 AM
Well, it's still the same thing. ABC/ESPN pays $X per year to broadcast regular season games, then decides which games they will show based on projected viewership. The games they don't choose trickle down to the lesser networks who pay less knowing they will get lesser games.

None of that would change if OSU went away. Look at Miami. Their decline hasn't cost the NCAA a nickel. No program is bigger than the public's need to see games. The $ will be there with or without OSU.

Let me clarify what I am trying to say a little bit, it WILL hurt the NCAA in the long run because if networks know you are down one of your biggest school then you cant believe that they will pay as much for a TV deal, now thats not saying the NCAA will still not get there "cut". Using Miami is not a good example, miami has been down during years when in fair honestly college football itself was down. The last 3-5 years of college football has grown exponentially. The NCAA gets cuts from schools doing there own TV networks though the "cut" is sustainability smaller and they can even choose to not give them any.

If we are just discussing the NCAA still getting paid they are absolutely, and even the 5 million or so they might lose as a premium is by no means substantial. Those deals they work out have stipulations in them that say hey we get XYZ number of primetime games, and in those primetime games we must have "traditional powers playing" There is more at work on these deals than you would believe.

I agree with what you are saying I just dont think we can disregard the impact of OSU, thats all Im saying.

AustinWolv
06-09-2011, 11:33 AM
This is funny regarding the license plate: http://www.10tv.com/live/content/teninvestigates/stories/2011/06/08/story-ohio-state-football-terrelle-pryor-talbott.html?sid=102

morsdraconis
06-09-2011, 11:51 AM

:(

Why use WVU as part of the "bad" team discussion? Because of our fanbase and we travel to bowl games and such, bowl games want WVU there. We bring the money.

steelerfan
06-09-2011, 12:36 PM
:(

Why use WVU as part of the "bad" team discussion? Because of our fanbase and we travel to bowl games and such, bowl games want WVU there. We bring the money.

Lol. That wasn't a "Rice/WMU" example. It was simply an example of two schools who have legitimate chances to get to a BCS game but who network execs don't want to see there because they don't have huge national appeal.

ram29jackson
06-09-2011, 05:07 PM
While I agree that no Death Penalty is coming, it has nothing to do with TV revenue. If OSU falls into the abyss, another program will take their place. Recent struggles by UM and ND (where recent is 15 years, lol) and last year by UT haven't affected the NCAA coffers at all. Instead, the success of teams like Stanford, Oregon, and Boise have filled their wallets. Every time someone loses, someone else wins. The successful programs will always bring TV $ no matter who they are.

I disagree, as was Stated in the SMU documentary, the death penalty for one school can kill revenue for an entire conference...and while National tv may not be affected as much by one team, local tv is affected.

I am generalizing but the fact is lots of different money makers can be affected when a school gets a death penalty and no one wants that to happen now

SmoothPancakes
06-09-2011, 05:15 PM
I disagree, as was Stated in the SMU documentary, the death penalty for one school can kill revenue for an entire conference...and while National tv may not be affected as much by one team, local tv is affected.

I am generalizing but the fact is lots of different money makers can be affected when a school gets a death penalty and no one wants that to happen now

For instance, our radio station that broadcasts Ohio State football games. We routinely sell anywhere from 40-60 sponsor spots per game. We lose the Ohio State games, and in turn, lose those sponsors who have spots air solely during OSU games, that's thousands of dollars every week that we're losing. As we are a small market, something as little as having a thousand dollars lost can have a huge impact on whether or not we turn a profit for the year or lose money, which directly affects our budget for the next year.

steelerfan
06-09-2011, 05:22 PM

The point is this: if OSU falls off the side of the earth, someone else will replace them. Maybe Michigan or PSU or ND. Someone will take their place. Someone will take those kids and win those games.

ND has been mediocre/bad for a long time. They are as historically relevant as anyone. The NCAA is still making $. Miami has had more success than OSU in the last 30 years. Miami has struggled for a few years now. The NCAA is still making $. Michigan is a historically strong program that has struggled lately. The NCAA is still making $. Texas is another of the winningest programs in history. Last year they were 5-7 and 20 years ago they were nearly irrelevant. The NCAA still made $.

When someone plummets, someone else will replace them and the beat will go on.

steelerfan
06-09-2011, 05:25 PM
For instance, our radio station that broadcasts Ohio State football games. We routinely sell anywhere from 40-60 sponsor spots per game. We lose the Ohio State games, and in turn, lose those sponsors who have spots air solely during OSU games, that's thousands of dollars every week that we're losing. As we are a small market, something as little as having a thousand dollars lost can have a huge impact on whether or not we turn a profit for the year or lose money, which directly affects our budget for the next year.

I get that, but no one in the NCAA offices is saying, "if we give OSU the death penalty, what will happen to that small market radio station?"

SmoothPancakes
06-09-2011, 05:51 PM
I get that, but no one in the NCAA offices is saying, "if we give OSU the death penalty, what will happen to that small market radio station?"

Oh I know they couldn't give any less of a damn about our tiny station in NW Ohio. I'm just giving a minor example. We're just the tiny tip of the iceberg of all the various organizations, companies, etc, that will lose money if Ohio State were given the death penalty.

steelerfan
06-09-2011, 05:56 PM
Oh I know they couldn't give any less of a damn about our tiny station in NW Ohio. I'm just giving a minor example. We're just the tiny tip of the iceberg of all the various organizations, companies, etc, that will lose money if Ohio State were given the death penalty.

And I knew you knew and get what you're saying. But, of the "organizations, companies etc, that will lose money", none is named "NCAA". ;)

JeffHCross
06-11-2011, 12:42 AM
Jeff, what have you heard about a 503,c being funded by O$U interests, that ends up paying certain pipeline high school coaches handsomely for their services at week-long summer camps?Nothing, but I don't follow the news/rumors as closely as most people here probably do. If it doesn't come across my Twitter feed (and that's actually rare that I'm watching that closely) or get reported in mainstream media, I won't hear about it. Especially with a story like that ... I'm not going to subject myself to rumor and conjecture if I can avoid it.

NCAA cannot be too soft as it won't deter other schools from willingly cheating.What will be interesting to watch is how the NCAA reacts to the Sugar Bowl sham investigation/allowing the players to play. It was the NCAA's decision to allow the players to play and defer the suspensions. The investigations since have shown that "if I knew then what I know now" -- no Sugar Bowl. Does the NCAA come down harsh because of that? If so, is there any backlash since they took Ohio State's word for it first. Interesting to watch that.

JeffHCross
06-11-2011, 11:22 AM
http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/sports/stories/2011/06/10/autograph-sales-show-ohio-states-hypocrisy.html?sid=101

ram29jackson
06-11-2011, 04:00 PM
http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/sports/stories/2011/06/10/autograph-sales-show-ohio-states-hypocrisy.html?sid=101

hypocrisy is in

SmoothPancakes
06-21-2011, 09:30 AM
Ohio State may still have a ton of bitchslapping coming their way from the NCAA, but it looks like they're in the clear as far as the players and families purchasing cars.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6686479

Ohio State in clear over car purchases

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Ohio State football players did not receive improper deals when buying cars from two Columbus-area dealerships, the Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles said Tuesday following an investigation of 25 vehicle sales.

Questions about players' car purchases arose in the wake of a scandal in which some players received cash and tattoos for autographs, championship rings and equipment.

The scandal forced out coach Jim Tressel because he knew of the memorabilia sales for months without alerting Ohio State officials, in violation of his contract.

The Ohio BMV undertook its review following allegations that the dealerships sold vehicles to Ohio State athletes and family members at below market rates.

The BMV's 65-page report issued Tuesday said the certificates of titles for cars sold by Jack Maxton Chevrolet and Auto Direct to players and families accurately reflected the vehicles' sales prices.

The investigation also rejected allegations that the sales prices did not reflect the true cost of the vehicles because players provided dealers with tickets, jerseys and other memorabilia in place of cash.

"We found no evidence in the dealers' business records that tickets and/or sports memorabilia were included in the sales," the report said.

The dealers and their lawyers also said the allegations were false. Aaron Kniffin, the salesman who sold most of the vehicles at both dealerships, also denied the allegations in a sworn affidavit that was previously made public, according to Tuesday's report.

"The deals that I did for Ohio State student-athletes were no different than any of the other 10,000-plus deals that I've done for all my other customers," Kniffin said in that May 10 affidavit.

Kniffin said any sales involving Ohio State players were forwarded to the general manager, who contacted Ohio State's compliance office.

The university said at this point it has no reason to believe any student athletes received improper car purchases.

"Today's report from the Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles supports the sworn statements two Columbus auto dealers provided us that the manner in which they conducted sales with Ohio State student athletes adhered to university and NCAA rules," said Doug Archie, Ohio State's athletics compliance director.

The investigation found that Auto Direct made money on the 10 vehicles it sold to players and families and that Jack Maxton made money on 14 of 15 sales; one vehicle was sold at a loss because it had been on the lot longer than 150 days.

The report also addressed what it called "persistent allegations" that Ohio State athletes and coaches have been allowed to drive dealer-owned cars using dealer license plates.

That practice is not illegal and is allowed under BMV rules, the agency said.

"On the contrary, the statute that governs the use of dealer-plated vehicles by third parties expressly permits dealers to allow any member of the public to operate dealer-owned vehicles," the agency said in its report.

In a May 12 interview with the state watchdog, Kniffin said Jeff Mauk, owner of Jack Maxton Chevrolet, received tickets from Ohio State coaches for giving them cars to drive. Kniffin said that was a common practice, according to the interview included in the BMV report.

Messages were left for Mauk and Auto Direct owner Jason Goss seeking comment.

psusnoop
06-21-2011, 09:33 AM
Well that is one good sign for OSU.

SmoothPancakes
06-21-2011, 09:35 AM

Yeah, they're still gonna get taken to town on behind the woodshed by the NCAA, but that is at least one LESS thing they have to worry about.

psusnoop
06-21-2011, 09:54 AM
At this point that is a good thing. I'm sure like yourself that NCAA is not going to "go easy" on them, I'm thinking more the USC at this point.

SmoothPancakes
06-21-2011, 10:06 AM
At this point that is a good thing. I'm sure like yourself that NCAA is not going to "go easy" on them, I'm thinking more the USC at this point.

Yeah, I don't think OSU will get hammered as bad as I thought they would a couple weeks ago. They're in the clear on the cars. Tressel resigned and is gone. Pryor has bailed and left. So the two main players behind these issues are no longer there, so while maybe not much, it's at least a bit of a positive for the Buckeyes. And I agree, the NCAA definitely isn't going to go easy on them. With everything lately, between USC, everything surrounding Cam and Auburn last year, North Carolina, and others, the NCAA can't afford to go light and easy. Plus, if the NCAA was willing to bring what they did against USC, who while maybe not the USC of the mid-2000s, they are still one of the top tier programs in the NCAA today, that means the NCAA isn't going to be afraid to lay it down hard against Ohio State.

psusnoop
06-21-2011, 10:22 AM
Yea I don't see the NCAA going easy on OSU just because they are OSU. If anything it may work against them since they had so many FT employees in the compliance dept.

AustinWolv
06-21-2011, 10:53 AM

How about a non-Ohio entity also investigate it, you know.....because I'm sure a good portion of OH trickle-down financial standing comes as a result of O$U jobs, merchandise, etc. Penalize that school, you are penalizing the state.

psusnoop
06-21-2011, 11:19 AM
How about a non-Ohio entity also investigate it, you know.....because I'm sure a good portion of OH trickle-down financial standing comes as a result of O$U jobs, merchandise, etc. Penalize that school, you are penalizing the state.

Even if they did I'm sure the books are cleaned up by now. :D:D:D

AustinWolv
06-21-2011, 02:29 PM
Speaking of, notice this part:

Asked by ESPN if the BMV could provide an unredacted version of the Maxton document, listing the dealer cost of and profit on each car sold to an Ohio State athlete or family member, Bohrer declined, citing state privacy law.
One point of convenience that O$U has consistently brought up is privacy laws for their students. Now the BMV too. Nice.

However, the only thing that report shows is that the dealerships didn't commit fraud with their paperwork. Questions could still linger about if those deals were available for the public, weekend test drives were made available to the public, how financing was handled, who paid or co-signed, if there were any special loans offered that weren't available to the public...........in other words, the improper benefits part of the car story is not confirmed over.

SmoothPancakes
06-21-2011, 02:38 PM
Speaking of, notice this part:

One point of convenience that O$U has consistently brought up is privacy laws for their students. Now the BMV too. Nice.

However, the only thing that report shows is that the dealerships didn't commit fraud with their paperwork. Questions could still linger about if those deals were available for the public, weekend test drives were made available to the public, how financing was handled, who paid or co-signed, if there were any special loans offered that weren't available to the public...........in other words, the improper benefits part of the car story is not confirmed over.

Yeah, it's a convenience for OSU, but the issue is with the state law, not OSU, on that. That's a law that was in place and around long before any of this stuff started happening. Just because it involves OSU and because ESPN wants the info, doesn't mean that law should be just ignored now. If people have a problem with that, take it up with the BMV, the state, and the state legislature.

AustinWolv
06-21-2011, 04:33 PM
Smooth, no problem with the law in that regard, I just find it funny considering O$U has been leaning on the privacy crutch for some time now.

But maybe it would be easy enough to get the BMV to release the records........because stuff like this happens: http://www.myfoxdfw.com/dpp/sports/nba/mavericks/061311-Ohio-Names-Mavs-Honorary-Citizens

:)

ram29jackson
06-21-2011, 04:42 PM
looks like Auburn has some friction now too.....? paying hostesses a little too much

SmoothPancakes
06-21-2011, 04:55 PM
Nah, stuff like that happens because we have a dumbass for a governor who would rather do stuff like that and try and sell of the entire state of Ohio to private companies and corporations piece by piece, instead of actually running the state. Dumped the Department of Development for his own little created private corporation called JobsOhio, that, at least last I saw when the legislation was going through, is pretty much completely behind closed doors, no transparency, etc.

He wants to sell off the state prisons, sell off the Turnpike (though it sounds like leasing the Turnpike has become the leading candidate in that discussion). And he lost Ohio $400 million in funds for developing a high-speed rail system because he opposes it, and because the federal funds were specifically for rail, when he wanted to use it on the highways. So instead California and Florida got the money Ohio was originally awarded thanks to him. At the rate he's going, Ohio's not even going to own anything by the time he leaves office.

This is what happens when you elect a former Lehman Brothers/Wall Street jackass as your governor.

AustinWolv
06-21-2011, 04:58 PM
looks like Auburn has some friction now too.....? paying hostesses a little too much
http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/forums/showthread.php?2460-Auburn-paying-hostesses

JeffHCross
06-21-2011, 08:17 PM
Nah, stuff like that happens because we have a dumbass for a governorThe problems with Ohio's political systems, and our reliance on privacy laws to cover up practically everything, has been going on a looooootttttttttttttttttttttttttt longer than the current administration.

JeffHCross
06-21-2011, 08:42 PM
How about a non-Ohio entity also investigate it, you know.....because I'm sure a good portion of OH trickle-down financial standing comes as a result of O$U jobs, merchandise, etc. Penalize that school, you are penalizing the state.Yeah, I'm sure the people at the Bureau of Motor Vehicles are willing to risk their reputation and everything for Ohio State. :rolleyes:

Besides, they found that the sales were legal. That says nothing about whether they were improper deals not available to the public. The ESPN article that Smooth posted suggests it, but that's outside the BMV's purview. The NCAA will still investigate, I'm sure.

SmoothPancakes
06-21-2011, 09:54 PM
The problems with Ohio's political systems, and our reliance on privacy laws to cover up practically everything, has been going on a looooootttttttttttttttttttttttttt longer than the current administration.

Oh I know it definitely has. Ohio and it's past administrations have been working it's way to this point for a long time. Just Kasich seems to be taking things to a whole new level with the way he's running things right now.

JeffHCross
06-22-2011, 09:47 PM
Important pieces from the article in the Dispatch yesterday about the BMV report:

The Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles reported yesterday that there were no dealer paperwork irregularities on 25 vehicle purchases it examined. But the BMV did not search for possible NCAA violations, saying it was outside its purview.

However, the BMV investigators did not interview any players, did not include an examination of OSU compliance records, and did not review any sales beyond those identified by The Dispatch. The BMV did not examine the use of dealer vehicles by at least nine athletes identified by the newspaper through a search of traffic tickets. Player reasons for driving the vehicles were justifiable in eight of the nine cases, OSU officials said.

With former quarterback Terrelle Pryor departing to turn pro, he has said he will not answer NCAA questions about his use of up to six vehicles.

And the NCAA can't compel two Columbus auto dealerships involved in numerous sales to OSU athletes and their families to turn over records documenting the prices dealers paid or received for the cars.

So, on the one hand ... this isn't over for Ohio State, because the BMV's report has no bearing on the NCAA's opinion about whether the sales were permissible. On the other hand, the NCAA may not be able to get the records necessary to make a judgement about the car sales. Weird.

psuexv
07-06-2011, 10:57 AM

http://tapatalk.com/mu/4a5e2902-85cb-f54f.jpg

morsdraconis
07-06-2011, 08:08 PM
:deadhorse:

psuexv
07-06-2011, 08:23 PM
Ahh man, I got :deadhorse:ed

HuskerBlitz
07-07-2011, 10:09 PM
:nod:

SmoothPancakes
07-23-2011, 10:51 AM
Looks like Ohio State is going to avoid the worst, and may not even have so much as a simple bowl or tv ban, now that the NCAA has informed the administration that they have uncovered no further violations, and that the blame for everything was solely at Tressel's feet as he never told anyone at the university about the violations. So there will be no lack of institutional control charges. Ohio State is still going to get hit with some sanctions, but things are looking much brighter now for the Bucks now that the failure to monitor charge is out the window.

CLW
07-23-2011, 10:54 AM
Looks like Ohio State is going to avoid the worst, and may not even have so much as a simple bowl or tv ban, now that the NCAA has informed the administration that they have uncovered no further violations, and that the blame for everything was solely at Tressel's feet as he never told anyone at the university about the violations. So there will be no lack of institutional control charges. Ohio State is still going to get hit with some sanctions, but things are looking much brighter now for the Bucks now that the failure to monitor charge is out the window.

Yep forcing Sweater Vest to leave town probably saved the university from the hammer.

SmoothPancakes
07-23-2011, 11:07 AM
Yep forcing Sweater Vest to leave town probably saved the university from the hammer.

I agree. If Tressel was still head coach of OSU, they would be guaranteed of getting hammered. Plus, the NCAA could have forced him out themselves. I still wouldn't be surprised if Tressel gets hit with a show-cause penalty for at least a year or two.

morsdraconis
07-23-2011, 03:50 PM
Fuckin' bullshit. Give recruits cars and knowingly allow them to receive money from school property and get nothing at all? Total bullshit.

cjg225
07-25-2011, 08:16 AM
Fuckin' bullshit. Give recruits cars and knowingly allow them to receive money from school property and get nothing at all? Total bullshit.
Imagine how fans of schools in the Big 10 feel. OSU won't skip a beat because of this.

morsdraconis
07-25-2011, 10:06 AM

I'm about to give up on college football.

buckeye02
07-26-2011, 01:06 AM

FYI, the dealership reported that they made money on all transactions with current and former OSU players.

AustinWolv
07-26-2011, 11:23 AM
Because you believe that they would report that they gave stellar deals that normal buyers couldn't get? C'mon, that would be business suicide in OH.

AustinWolv
07-26-2011, 03:03 PM
By the way, it isn't over. Only one portion of the problem is over which is what the Dispatch was reporting on.

Pac10's Larry Scott has commented: http://twitter.com/#!/wilnerhotline

Scott said he called NCAA prez Mart Emmert after tOSU news last week, said Emmert told him "misperception in media about finality"

morsdraconis
07-26-2011, 03:56 PM
It better not be over. I just finished watching the ESPN 30 for 30 episode about the SMU Death Penalty scandal and it made me that much more angry about this whole thing with Ohio State. The damn athletic department knew about these infractions, and there should be SERIOUS penalties laid down against Ohio State for them. Total bullshit if there isn't.

baseballplyrmvp
07-26-2011, 07:26 PM
lol....ohio state is making a serious stretch right here:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ap-ohiostate-pryor

AustinWolv
07-27-2011, 10:34 AM
O$U helping him out so he doesn't turn around and talk.