PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Conference Musical Chairs

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

JeffHCross
10-21-2010, 06:58 PM
It's an interesting choice. Most people perceive that CCGs are supposed to be "neutral site", but I guess we'll see what the reaction is.

What'll be interesting is if, for example, Cal plays at USC during the season, then they meet in the CCG and it's Cal @ USC. Rematches in the CCG are one thing ... rematches at the same site will be very interesting in terms of public perception.

But the conference did vote to keep the historic California rivalries. The Bay Area schools have played the Los Angeles schools every year since 1946 in rivalries that started long before that. Cal and Stanford will each play UCLA and USC every year in football.

The other cross-divisional games in the nine-game conference schedule will rotate, with the Oregon and Washington schools most likely playing in Los Angeles every other year as opposed to the current annual trips.That has massive, massive recruiting implications. Very interesting.

morsdraconis
10-21-2010, 09:34 PM
That has massive, massive recruiting implications. Very interesting.

Yup. The rich get richer in the Pac-12 conference.

So, now we know who holds all the cards in the Pac-12 (and it's certainly not the teams that have kept that shitty conference a float in the wake of the USC scandal).

HWill
11-02-2010, 03:22 PM
The Big East is looking to expand: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5756898&campaign=rss&source=twitter&ex_cid=Twitter_espn_5756898

I hear they are interested in the Buffalo Bills.

cdj
11-02-2010, 05:23 PM
HWill - :D

Villanova and UCF are the two early names that seem likely. I'm not sure either help the conference, but they make some sense.

Rudy
11-02-2010, 06:29 PM
Why would TCU join that conference and deal with all that travel? They should just push the Big 12 to boot Iowa St and try to join the Big 12/10-2.

Personally I think the biggest problem the Big East faces is a lack of great teams and how it leads to a weak strength of schedule. Same goes for the MWC. Both of those conferences shouldn't expand anymore unless you get a good team. Adding teams like Villanova or Temple will not improve the Big East at all. Those two conferences should actually keep the same members and just sign a pact to have crossover games every year between the top teams. Keep an open date and have the Top 4 teams play the Top 4 teams from each conference in September. ie. #1 vs. #1, #2 vs. #2, etc. That way if TCU wins the MWC they would play the Big East champion (Pitt) in an occ game, Boise could play Syracuse, and so on. That would help the conference champions overcome the weakened strength of schedule in the BCS without diluting the conference talent levels to where they become even more crappy.

JeffHCross
11-02-2010, 08:45 PM
TCU would have to be pretty stupid to go to the Big East for football-only. The MWC has all the momentum right now to get an automatic spot in the BCS in the next few years. The MWC is, I believe, perceived as a better conference. And if you went to the Big East for football-only, you'd be asking for death for your basketball program.

Plus you add the uncertain future of the Big East (since it was perceived as the Big Ten's #1 target), and I wouldn't think the grass looks very green.

jaymo76
11-03-2010, 10:34 PM
The Big East is in serious, serious trouble as a conference. Even if it expands, no major programme will go there. Moving up some FCS teams (as most rumours speculate) will do nothing to improve conference prestige/strength.

morsdraconis
11-03-2010, 11:35 PM
TCU apparently is quite interested in coming to the Big East. Hopefully they can get Houston to come with them as I don't see them being able to do anything with only 10 teams. 12 is the minimum for a successful expansion (hopefully that includes UCF as well).

Rudy
11-04-2010, 05:43 PM
The Big East is still poaching ground. If I'm TCU I try to stay put and get in an expanded Big 12 down the road. Right now I have no idea what the conferences will look like 5 years from now. How aggressive the Big 10 is in expanding further or the SEC, PAC 12 to go beyond 12 teams will have a huge impact.

JeffHCross
11-04-2010, 11:07 PM
I think TCU's leaders would be smart enough to know that the Big 12 adding TCU would be unlikely at best. There's no incentive for the Big 12 to do so.

Rudy
11-05-2010, 05:47 AM
I would disagree about that Jeff. I know everyone looks at how it wouldn't add a new TV market but TCU is a top notch program. Losing Nebraska hurt and adding TCU would help. What's to stop the Big 12 from booting Iowa St and adding TCU to strengthen the conference and not have to share any extra money with people? Everyone is looking to expand but I wonder if some conferences may look to contract or replace in the future. When the top few football teams are bringing in the money, the shared revenue model will be under greater scrutiny if you want to expand or change.

JeffHCross
11-05-2010, 10:37 AM
In the situation where I could still believe that perception (of the strength of your conference) was part of the equation, and not just money, I'd agree with you. The only way I could see the Big 12 adding TCU is if TCU starts consistently outperforming the Big 12 champion. If TCU actually looked stronger, and had a better chance at BCS/MNC, than anybody in the Big 12 -- then the Big 12 would be interested. But while Texas holds all the cards in the conference, I just can't see it. Because it's really not just about whether or not TCU is strong -- the Big 12 has to believe that TCU would be strong against Big 12 competition.

Obviously it's possible that they would kick out Iowa State and add TCU. But, when you look at the money line ... they'd lose Iowa and gain nothing.

Rudy
11-06-2010, 05:38 AM
But TCU would add bowl money to the equation since Iowa St. blows. I know it wouldn't add any extra TV sets in Texas but I have to think a Texas-TCU matchup would generate greater TV revenue nation wide than Texas-Iowa St. It would certainly get more national viewers and the big conferences are largely dependent on their national TV deals. The Big 10 makes a lot of money with the BTN but ABC's TV money is still their money maker. The Big 12 losing Nebraska really hurt. I think they would benefit from adding another strong team.

I remember hearing an analyst state that if Congress ever forced the big schools to do some playoff they hated or shared more money that they would even consider leaving the NCAA and creating their own organization with schools of their choice and not share any money at all. I know that's extreme but I think these schools are willing to look at anything in terms of generating revenue. We might hate the things they do but the almighty football dollar drives everything.

It's just a shame that a few of these smaller schools have built up really good programs and could easily be considered a quality BCS team but can't get in a BCS conference. Utah is in the PAC 10 now but Boise St and TCU have shown themselves to be worthy of joining a BCS conference. I think it would be a much easier solution to just find a spot for those two teams in a BCS conference and give themselves a shot at the title as opposed to some of the crazy playoff scenarios out there.

JeffHCross
11-06-2010, 01:17 PM
I still hope/believe that the MWC will be a BCS conference sooner rather than later. I hate that Utah and BYU leaving may have negatively influenced that, but I think the MWC deserves to be a BCS conference.

Rudy
11-07-2010, 03:59 AM
I may have to stop dissing Iowa St. Nebraska just escaped yesterday.

JBHuskers
11-07-2010, 04:22 PM
I may have to stop dissing Iowa St. Nebraska just escaped yesterday.

Iowa State has been tough lately, and did beat Nebraska on the road last year. I wonder if that fake PAT was a parting gift for us :D

cdj
11-12-2010, 05:56 AM
Link (http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/sports/50655841-77/wac-football-state-conference.html.csp)

The Utah State Aggies are getting new neighbors as the Western Athletic Conference moved Thursday to ensure its long-term survival — just not the ones they might have wanted most.

While the WAC added Texas State, Texas-San Antonio and Denver to its ranks starting in 2012 to make up for the pending loss of Boise State, Fresno State and Nevada to the Mountain West Conference, it learned Thursday that cherished target Montana has rejected overtures and decided not to move up to the Football Bowl Subdivision.

“I’ll have to admit, we were expecting that the University of Montana would be part of the WAC,” league commissioner Karl Benson said.

But with the Grizzlies planning to stay in the lower-level Big Sky Conference, the WAC might eventually invite Seattle University in all sports except football — which is how Denver is joining the league, since it doesn’t have a football team and doesn’t plan to create one.

Only Texas State and Texas-San Antonio are bringing football teams to the WAC.

But Benson said the WAC will continue to look for other prospective new members, in addition to Seattle, though he did not name any. Ideally, he said, the league would include nine teams in football and 10 in all other sports.

“We still have options, and we still have time,” he said.

Barring other additions, the new-look WAC figures to feature eight teams in football and nine in men’s and women’s basketball, starting in 2012-13.

Its three new schools will join San Jose State, New Mexico State, Idaho, Louisiana Tech, Hawaii and the Aggies in a conference that has survived seemingly constant upheaval during the last 15 years. It’s possible, though, the new football team from Texas-San Antonio might not play a full league schedule until 2013.

The Roadrunners don’t play their first season until next fall under former Miami coach Larry Coker, and both they and Texas State plan to move to the Football Bowl Subdivision level from the lower-level Southland Conference in 2012.

Denver will join from the Sun Belt Conference.

“I’ve said often that when schools join the WAC, they get better,” Benson said. “And over the past 10 years, we have a track record to prove it.”

The Aggies praised the expansion, even though they soon will have to travel farther for some of their conference road games.

Football coach Gary Andersen noted the opportunity to increase recruiting in Texas, while men’s basketball coach Stew Morrill said “the new additions will prove they belong” and make the WAC stronger.

“These programs have the right plan and have committed resources in place to back them up and be successful in the WAC,” athletic director Scott Barnes said. “Collectively, their academic and athletic success is impressive.”

JBHuskers
11-12-2010, 08:09 AM
It'll be pretty cool to see some new smaller schools in the video game to try to build up to powerhouses :nod:

cdj
11-12-2010, 08:13 AM
It'll be pretty cool to see some new smaller schools in the video game to try to build up to powerhouses :nod:

Last time they added a new school (WKU) we had the roster editing glitch where after X teams had edits, the game would soft freeze. Just saying. :P

JBHuskers
11-12-2010, 08:15 AM
Last time they added a new school (WKU) we had the roster editing glitch where after X teams had edits, the game would soft freeze. Just saying. :P

Well maybe one of the entries in the tournament (full customizable conferences) along with their catching of that bug this time around will be in the game.....

JeffHCross
11-12-2010, 08:59 PM
Texas State, Texas-San Antonio, Denver and Seattle?

Bye, bye, WAC.

jaymo76
11-12-2010, 09:33 PM
Texas State, Texas-San Antonio, Denver and Seattle?

Bye, bye, WAC.

My initial reaction as well.

souljahbill
11-13-2010, 06:58 AM
At least LA Tech will be able to play a team "relatively" close now. Travel is gonna suck even harder for Hawaii though.

cdj
11-29-2010, 08:53 AM
TCU rumored to have accepted all-sports Big East invite to start play in 2012 (http://ncaafootball.fanhouse.com/2010/11/29/tcu-accepts-offer-from-big-east/).

morsdraconis
11-29-2010, 10:58 AM
Woot! A worthy opponent in the Big East again!

SmoothPancakes
11-29-2010, 11:08 AM
Woot! A worthy opponent in the Big East again!

I wouldn't actually be saying there are no worthy opponents in the Big East when WVU only goes 4-2 in conference play, with UConn about to be your Big East champion if they beat South Florida. Though I am still not sure if I agree with this. Adding TCU is going to make for some long ass trips. TCU to everyone, Syracuse/Rutgers/UConn the farthest out of everyone there now in trips to TCU, etc. It's a good pickup football team wise. I don't know enough about TCU's other sports to know if it's a good move. Travel-wise, I'm more convinced that it's a bad move in those regards.

And poor Boise State. You go from the WAC to WAC Jr. With TCU leaving for the Big East, Utah bailing for the Pac 10, BYU going indy, basically all Boise State is doing is trading some WAC bottom feeders for some MWC bottom feeders with Nevada/Fresno tagging along from the WAC and Air Force and San Diego State making some decent opponents.

JBHuskers
11-29-2010, 01:28 PM
Uhhhhhhhhhh a fairly legit rumor going around that Miami is fielding some interest in joining the Pac 10.... :D

JBHuskers
11-29-2010, 01:34 PM
I said this on Twitter....the NCAA should just rename all the conferences after colors. Or just numbers. The One Conference, The Two Conference, The Gray Conference....

JBHuskers
11-29-2010, 01:51 PM
Uhhhhhhhhhh a fairly legit rumor going around that Miami is fielding some interest in joining the Pac 10.... :D

No truth on this apparently (thank god).

HWill
11-29-2010, 01:55 PM
I said this on Twitter....the NCAA should just rename all the conferences after colors. Or just numbers. The One Conference, The Two Conference, The Gray Conference....

How about this way instead? http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=caple/100716_college_conference_realignment

Rudy
11-29-2010, 04:49 PM
I feel bad for Boise. They moved to the MWC to get more competition and they will just be playing the same teams over again. Utah, TCU, BYU all gone.

If only I could convince Notre Dame to join the Big East and get Boise St. into a decent conference like the Big 12 we'd be all set.

JeffHCross
11-29-2010, 07:37 PM
Woot! A worthy opponent in the Big East again!Lmao ... a worthy opponent. As if you guys are kicking ass and taking names.

And poor Boise State. You go from the WAC to WAC Jr.Screw that. MWC is still considerably better than the WAC. Yes, it should have been (and the damn idiots, it would have been) even better, but the MWC is still a hell of an upgrade.

Add to that ... apparently ... because of the way the BCS is going to evaluate conferences when they meet in December, 2011, Boise State's record from 2008+ and TCU's record up until 2010 will all count for the MWC. PLUS, TCU's 2010 season will count for the Big East too! I think you can practically guarantee that the MWC is going to get a BCS bid starting in 2012.

How about this way instead? http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=caple/100716_college_conference_realignmentI read that when it originally came out ... and that was freaking awesome.

HWill
11-29-2010, 08:19 PM
I read that when it originally came out ... and that was freaking awesome.

I thought I posted it somewhere on here before, but I wasn't sure, so I searched ESPN and posted in case people hadn't seen it. Really great stuff.

morsdraconis
11-29-2010, 10:55 PM
Lmao ... a worthy opponent. As if you guys are kicking ass and taking names.

We will be again as soon as we get grandpa out of the coaching chair...

JBHuskers
11-30-2010, 11:27 AM
TCU's president excited about the academic opportunities with the Big East is about as believable as our president saying the same thing about us jumping to the Big Ten. And it sure as hell isn't about excitement for the other sports either. These guys are so transparent it's borderline ridiculous. It's obvoius it's about the cash and that cash is in football....I think Nebraska basketball hung with TCU in the home-in-home we played recently....they'll get SMOKED in the Big East.

JeffHCross
12-04-2010, 01:34 AM
about as believable as our president saying the same thing about us jumping to the Big Ten.Uhm ... it's legitimate in the Big Ten there, bud.

Now, it's far from a reason to change conferences ... but there is still an academic benefit to Nebraska joining the Big Ten. Can't speak for the Big East, but I know it's true in the Big Ten.

One of the great luxuries in joining the Big Ten is its association with the league’s academic counterpart, the Committee on Institutional Cooperation, whose members share academic resources and programs while benefiting from more than $6 billion in funded research. In 2008, Penn State spent $701,000 on research and development, almost 50 percent of which was funded by the federal government through the partnership with the CIC. Of the nine public institutions with the biggest research budgets in 2008, five came from the Big Ten, according to the National Science Foundation, including Penn State at No. 8.

All of which goes back to academics, Jordan’s initial infatuation with the Big Ten. It was, after all, officially known as the Intercollegiate Conference of Faculty Representatives until 1987.

“Penn State was academically up to the level of the Big Ten schools, and joining the league obviously would have an impact on the academic reputation of the school,” he said. “That I found to be very important. It was the most important thing. That was my real motivation.”

HWill
12-10-2010, 09:31 PM
Hawaii joins MWC for football, Big West for other sports: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5907111&campaign=rss&source=twitter&ex_cid=Twitter_collhoops_5907111

SmoothPancakes
12-10-2010, 09:38 PM
Damn, beat me to it, haha. Yeah, another one jumps ship. The WAC is stuck in revolving door mode right now. They are looking more and more like the red headed step child of college football conferences once all these moves take place in the future.

JeffHCross
12-10-2010, 10:38 PM
The WAC is dead.

JBHuskers
01-24-2011, 09:00 AM
A&M to SEC is gathering more steam with the Longhorn Network announced. (http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/24/am-to-sec-rumors-surface-yet-again/)

morsdraconis
01-24-2011, 10:40 AM
Texas just needs to become an independent and get it over and done with...

cdj
01-25-2011, 08:13 AM
Utah State may join MWC (Link) (http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700103655/Utah-State-may-be-joining-MWC.html)

Utah State may be the next school to jump from the Western Athletic Conference to the Mountain West, according to sources.

School officials from the Mountain West Conference are meeting in Las Vegas today and tomorrow and are expected to vote on several conference issues ranging from TV deals, to scheduling, to conference expansion. The conference has been looking at expanding from 10 schools to 12 in order to secure a lucrative conference football championship game. Adding a conference championship game could add millions of dollars of revenue to the conference in the form of a TV deal and ticket sales. If the money gained from the championship game offsets the money lost by splitting the revenue sharing between an additional two schools, then the conference is likely to expand.

The final vote for expansion was expected to take place Monday night. Sources said prior to the vote that expansion was likely and Utah State would then likely be asked to join and would accept the offer. No exact timetable was given for the announcement, but it is expected to be official in the next 24 to 48 hours.

Utah State has been on the Mountain West's radar since last August when the conference put in a call to gauge the school's interest in jumping ship from the WAC. Since then, current conference members Fresno State, Nevada and Hawaii have all made it known they will be leaving the conference effective July 2012.

JBHuskers
01-25-2011, 08:33 AM
The WAC is going to nosedive into FCS.

HWill
01-25-2011, 12:07 PM

They have Denver, UT-San Antonio, and Texas State coming in. They will be just fine...:rolleyes:

gschwendt
01-25-2011, 12:10 PM
And I hope they drag Louisiana Tech down with them. Funny enough, the Loser Tech fans are saying if they go independent, they could get Arkansas and Texas A&M to travel to Ruston, LA for football games.

gschwendt
01-25-2011, 02:27 PM
Mountain West sticking with current members (http://www.themwc.com/genrel/012511aaa.html).

Jan. 25, 2011

LAS VEGAS, Nev. -

At the conclusion of its annual January meeting, the MWC Board of Directors issued the following statement.
"Over the past two days, the Board of Directors has engaged in a very thorough discussion of several key topics pertinent to the future of the Mountain West Conference. This has included, but not been limited to, issues related to television, the Bowl Championship Series and membership. The Board feels strongly the membership configuration already established going forward creates outstanding prospects for future success. In addition, we are continuing with our strategic initiatives related to our television partnerships and the MWC's efforts to effect change in the BCS structure. The Board is excited about what is undoubtedly a bright future for the Conference."

SmoothPancakes
05-25-2011, 10:00 PM
Not a chance in hell this happens. Army already went through a failed experiment with Conference-USA, and Navy, just like Notre Dame, greatly values it's independent status and ability to have complete and total freedom over it's football schedule, which it has definitely not had any problems finding quality opponents each year.

Army, Navy Expansion Options for Big East?

Could the Big East look to Army and Navy in its quest to expand?

CBSSports.com's Brett McMurphy reports that the league could be interested in just such a plan to add the service academies. He quotes an unnamed college football industry insider who says the Big East could add Army and Navy on its way to growing to 12 teams.

"I believe the league will approach the academies first and if they turn the Big East down, then they'll approach the other candidates," the source is quoted as saying. "There are a lot of hurdles to overcome. The Big East would have to convince them that's where they want to be."

This isn't the first time the idea has been broached. The Big East considered Army and Navy a couple of years ago but ultimately the talks broke down. While there are advantages to adding the academies, there are also major questions about it.

Amy and Navy certainly fall within the league's geographic footprint. Navy has experienced lots of success in recent years, and Army is on the way back up after making a bowl game last season. While they might not qualify per se as "big market teams," both are name-brand entities that would definitely have drawing power among current and ex-military personnel.

But there's also concern about whether the two academies, whose missions are so much different than other Big East schools, could hold up under the rigors of a full conference schedule. Right now, both are independents who can schedule whom they want. Navy played Georgia Southern, Louisiaina Tech, Duke, Central Michigan and Arkansas State on its way to the Poinsettia Bowl last year; Army got to seven wins in part by playing Eastern Michigan, North Texas, Duke, VMI and Kent State.

Both would have to be football-only members, and there's no doubt they could make more money as part of a BCS conference. But is that truly what they want to do? And how would the traditional, year-end Army-Navy game be handled in a league format? Can you really ever picture Army or Navy in, say, the Orange Bowl?

I've written about this before and have come to the conclusion that it's not a great fit for either side. What do you think?

Source: http://espn.go.com/blog/bigeast/post/_/id/20253/army-navy-expansion-options-for-big-east

Army, Navy might hold key to Big East football expansion

PONTE VEDRA BEACH, Fla. -- The Big East is now officially on the clock. The league has until September 2012 to determine its football membership because that's when ESPN's 60-day exclusive media rights renegotiating window with the league begins.

So what schools will the Big East add? Numerous candidates have been mentioned including Villanova, Central Florida, East Carolina and Houston. However, college industry sources told CBSSports.com the league is also considering the possibility of pursuing Army and Navy as football members to get to 12 teams.

"I believe the league will approach the academies first and if they turn the Big East down, then they'll approach the other candidates," a college football industry source said. "There are a lot of hurdles to overcome. The Big East would have to convince them that's where they want to be."

The league would be attracted to Army and Navy because of their national appeal and also because the schools could join as football-only members. If they joined, along with another member, to get the Big East to 12 schools, a championship game would be on the table.

If the academies are the answer, would they be open to moving the Army-Navy game from its customary December spot to November? It's been nearly 30 years since the Army-Navy game was played around Thanksgiving. Plus the schools already have television deals with CBS Sports Network and future bowl agreements in place.

A conference schedule would also limit both schools' scheduling flexibility. However, the Big East could make all of those "hurdles" easier to manage for the academies with a huge annual payday as part of the league's new media rights deal.

Also, Army (which had an unsuccessful run in Conference USA from 1998-2004) and Navy must consider their futures as independents. They're both in good shape now, but what about five years from now as the power leagues grow stronger and the financial and competitive gaps between the automatic qualifying BCS schools and non-AQ BCS schools continue to widen?

If Army and Navy have an opportunity to join a BCS league, is it an offer they can refuse?

"I don't think there's a clear-cut answer for the Big East," said Neal Pilson, former President of CBS Sports. "You look at increasing the footprint, but it's not just the size of the market. It also has to do with the loyalty in their markets.

"Generally speaking, teams that come from larger markets are more attractive for a TV carrier, but a small team market like Green Bay is hugely important."

Added another college industry source: "There are a lot of tentacles in what the league is trying to do."

Villanova, UCF, East Carolina and Houston would love an offer to join the Big East football ranks. Just a year ago, Big East commissioner John Marinatto said the league was waiting on Villanova's decision on whether to move up from FCS to FBS. The Wildcats now are ready to make the move, but the Big East has put its invitation on hold because of concerns where Villanova will play its home games.

Of all the expansion candidates, Villanova brings the nation's fourth-biggest television market in Philadelphia and one of the top FCS programs, having won the 2009 FCS national title and advancing to the 2010 FCS semifinals.

Also in Villanova's favor is that it is already a member in all other sports so it gets to vote whether to admit itself as a football member. Still, the Wildcats would need 11 of the remaining 15 all-sport members to vote in their favor. By the way, Marinatto said ¾ of the membership must approve what teams to add. TCU joins the league on July 1, 2012, so if the teams aren't voted on until after July 1, 2012, TCU gets a vote and each team then must get approval from 13 of the 17 schools.

Besides the academies and Villanova, the most obvious candidates -- and currently the strongest football programs -- are from Conference USA: UCF, East Carolina and Houston.

Each one offers its share of positives and negatives for the league and the consensus among league personnel is that there isn't a clear-cut favorite or pecking order among the three C-USA schools.

Houston is located in the nation's fourth-largest city and has the biggest TV market (No. 10) of the three. The Cougars also are building a new $120 million football stadium, projected to be completed by 2013.

UCF would give the Big East two schools in Florida, guaranteeing the league's schools one trip a year to the state's fertile recruiting grounds. The Knights also would have the largest enrollment in the Big East.

East Carolina, whose TV market (ranked No. 25) is surprisingly close to UCF's No. 19 Orlando TV market, has led C-USA in attendance the past three seasons and had the second-highest non-AQ home attendance average last season (49,665).

East Carolina athletic director Terry Holland would not specifically address the Pirates' interest in the Big East, but did address with CBSSports.com whether ECU could compete in any conference. Houston AD Mack Rhoades and UCF AD Keith Tribble declined comment for this story.

"I believe that East Carolina's ability to compete with most of the institutions in the conferences with automatic qualification has been proven on the field, in the stands and by the marketplace," Holland said.

Since 2005, the Pirates have seven wins against AQ BCS conferences; the second most of the Big East candidates behind Navy's 14-17 record vs. AQ BCS teams.

Holland also referenced the 2009 Liberty Bowl between East Carolina and Arkansas, which drew a 10.3 rating (2.4 million households) on ESPN in the combined markets of Greenville, Raleigh/Durham and Charlotte, N.C., compared to the 2008 Holiday Bowl between TCU and Boise State, which drew a 5.1 rating (2.4 million households) in Dallas/Fort Worth.

Holland added the Pirates' attendance numbers -- they would have ranked fourth last year in the Big East in attendance (49,665) -- will increase when ECU's stadium expands to 60,000 in 2016.

The downside to adding any of the C-USA schools is they likely would require membership in all sports, meaning the basketball league could grow from 17 to possibly 20.

"That's the trade off," a source said. "You build up football, but it makes basketball more unwieldy."

A CBSSports.com survey of the league's football coaches reveals that group wants to expand to 12 teams. And that's also why UConn basketball coach Jim Calhoun predicted the league's football and basketball teams would split in four-to-five years.

"What a television network would look at as far as upcoming negotiations is how can it become more valuable?" Pilson said. "One way of doing that is expanding into cities and states that they're not already there. Another thing is the value of a conference championship game. My guess is they're looking at getting to 12 to stage a championship game, which has significant value."

Marinatto said the league looks to take advantage of being the final AQ BCS league without a new media rights deal with the possibility of ESPN, NBC/Comcast and Fox all bidding on the Big East.

"There's no easy answer," a college industry source said. "Is there some desire to [expanding] just to have a championship game? Not every conference wants one.

"When the league is firm what they want to do about expansion they will look at three things: market size, academic fit and the football program. They have to have all three to be a serious candidate. There's no reason to expand to have worse football."

And with all the possibilities out there, there remains another very real one: the league could choose to stay at nine teams and not expand. Fortunately we'll know in 16 months. The clock is ticking.

Source: http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/15164424/army-navy-might-hold-key-to-big-east-football-expansion

morsdraconis
05-25-2011, 10:50 PM
I'd LOVE for the Big East to pick up both Army and Navy, but the likelihood of that happening is VERY slim since it would be a real hamper on the scheduling abilities of both schools.

SmoothPancakes
05-25-2011, 11:04 PM
I'd LOVE for the Big East to pick up both Army and Navy, but the likelihood of that happening is VERY slim since it would be a real hamper on the scheduling abilities of both schools.

Oh don't get me wrong, as a Navy fan, I truly think Navy could and would compete well in the Big East and that could be fun to watch. You wouldn't see them winning the conference, at least often, since WVU and Pitt would be tough to beat year in and year out, but I could see Navy competing every year for at least 3rd or 4th place. But with the freedom Navy has right now regarding their schedules and everything that comes with being an independent, I just cannot see them agreeing to such a move. Like I said when I made that post, Navy is very much like Notre Dame, greatly valuing their freedom as an independent and I just can't see them scraping that.

JBHuskers
09-20-2011, 03:36 PM
Well I guess we can start firing up this thread again :D

Word is Mizzou got an SEC invite in the wake of the inevitable departure of Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma State to the Pac 12+4

SmoothPancakes
09-20-2011, 03:40 PM
Damn, Big Ten took too long. And I completely forgot about this thread. :D Become accustomed to using the General NCAA thread. So now, who does the Big Ten go after? Assuming WVU also enters the SEC, who do they go after for #16?

souljahbill
09-20-2011, 03:58 PM
Damn, Big Ten took too long. And I completely forgot about this thread. :D Become accustomed to using the General NCAA thread. So now, who does the Big Ten go after? Assuming WVU also enters the SEC, who do they go after for #16?

:Southern_Miss:

#wishfulthinkng

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bdoughty
09-20-2011, 04:06 PM
Smart play by the SEC with Mizzou. WV I still do not get but this was smart getting the KC/St Louis market. I really thought the Big Teeeeeeen+ would have been a better fit but looks like they are just sitting back.

bdoughty
09-20-2011, 04:09 PM

SEC
They might be considering FSU or Miami.

Big Ten
Rutgers and ND

morsdraconis
09-20-2011, 04:35 PM
SEC
They might be considering FSU or Miami.

Big Ten
Rutgers and ND

No way anyone leaves the ACC for another conference. They'd have to pay $20 million to leave. That's not happening.

Also, it's being reported that the ACC and SEC rejected WVU's bid to enter their conferences, though it hasn't broken nationally yet (and was reported locally a good 3-4 hours ago) so it may not be true. SEC commish is saying that the SEC hasn't decided anything besides A&M to the SEC so it could all be dumb ass reporters jumping the gun (god I hope so).

Big East officials are meeting tonight in New York for something. Not sure what yet.

Rudy
09-20-2011, 04:42 PM
Fake Don Beebe is on twitter and it's hilarious, especially since OU has demanded he be fired and blames him for losing Nebraska and A&M.

SmoothPancakes
09-20-2011, 04:44 PM
No way anyone leaves the ACC for another conference. They'd have to pay $20 million to leave. That's not happening.

Also, it's being reported that the ACC and SEC rejected WVU's bid to enter their conferences, though it hasn't broken nationally yet (and was reported locally a good 3-4 hours ago) so it may not be true. SEC commish is saying that the SEC hasn't decided anything besides A&M to the SEC so it could all be dumb ass reporters jumping the gun (god I hope so).

Big East officials are meeting tonight in New York for something. Not sure what yet.

It's alright mors. It may not be the SEC, but there's nothing wrong with the Big Ten. :D

Rudy
09-20-2011, 04:54 PM
Unless the Big 10 adds Notre Dame I don't see them expanding but anything seems possible.

JBHuskers
09-20-2011, 06:02 PM
Fake Don Beebe is on twitter and it's hilarious, especially since OU has demanded he be fired and blames him for losing Nebraska and A&M.

:clap:

ram29jackson
09-20-2011, 07:01 PM
Unless the Big 10 adds Notre Dame I don't see them expanding but anything seems possible.

in a way, it was the BIG 10 and Nebraska that started this mess in the first place...at some point a couple teams will talking to them too....Oklahoma in the pac with USC just doesnt sound right LOL.... Texas just needs to drop the network idea and go to the PAC

Rudy
09-20-2011, 08:52 PM
in a way, it was the BIG 10 and Nebraska that started this mess in the first place...at some point a couple teams will talking to them too....Oklahoma in the pac with USC just doesnt sound right LOL.... Texas just needs to drop the network idea and go to the PAC

Texas is going to have to share some of that network money if they want to end up in a big conference. And if they would have shared it in the first place maybe A&M would have stayed. That network caused a ton of problems.

baseballplyrmvp
09-20-2011, 10:16 PM

notre dame said earlier today that if they couldnt remain independant anymore in football, they would seek to get invited to the ACC before big10

baseballplyrmvp
09-20-2011, 10:30 PM
hold the phone......pac 12 will remain at 12 members for the time being

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/6998751/pac-12-conference-decides-expand-further

SmoothPancakes
09-20-2011, 10:48 PM
Oklahoma/Oklahoma State to the SEC now? It sounds like the only way Oklahoma is going to stay in the Big 12 is if some MAJOR changes are made regarding Texas, the Longhorn Network, Dan Beebe, etc.

And according to ESPN, the SEC and Missouri informally have an agreement. So that makes Missouri and A&M. If Texas/Beebe don't agree to any changes or work with Oklahoma on their issues with the league as it stands now, I could see Oklahoma/State bolting for the SEC since the Pac-12 doesn't want them right now.

SmoothPancakes
09-20-2011, 10:50 PM
Report: Missouri, SEC Have Deal (http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/6998589/sec-informal-agreement-add-missouri-according-report)

The University of Missouri is reportedly headed to the SEC after all.

The SEC has informally agreed to add Missouri to the conference and move Auburn to the SEC East, according to a report in the Birmingham News.

The News, citing two sources familiar with the discussions, said a majority of SEC presidents have endorsed the agreement, though a timetable for the move remains unknown. Missouri would become the conference's 14th member, as the SEC already plans to add Texas A&M as the 13th member.

Earlier Tuesday, the Kansas City Star reported that the SEC was going to offer Missouri a spot in the conference, and would wait until the Big 12 dust settled for an answer. The Star cited a Mizzou booster who spoke directly to a school official. Another source told The Star on Tuesday that an Oklahoma official had said the SEC is interested in Missouri, the Star reported.

But the SEC said Tuesday afternoon that the only invitation it had issued was to Texas A&M.

The Oklahoman, citing a high-ranking Big 12 official, reported Oklahoma president David Boren said Monday the school would decide between applying for the Pac-12 or staying in the Big 12. The source stressed that reforms would be necessary for Oklahoma to remain in the Big 12.

The Pac-12 conference affirmed their decision late Tuesday night against expanding from their 12-team alignment, leaving open the possibility of the Big 12 staying together.

The University of Oklahoma's board of regents and its counterpart at Texas granted their school presidents Monday the authority to take action regarding conference realignment.

JBHuskers
09-21-2011, 12:25 AM
hold the phone......pac 12 will remain at 12 members for the time being

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/6998751/pac-12-conference-decides-expand-further

Leave it to Texas to screw things up because they're so damn greedy :D

morsdraconis
09-21-2011, 01:24 AM
(sigh)

Damn it WVU. If you stay in this MUCH shittier Big East Conference, I'm gonna be SO pissed. Even more so if the ACC seriously fuckin' takes fuckin' Connecticut over us. The conference, as a basketball conference, is already ruined even more (ACC will most definitely be the dominate basketball conference now :fp:), and now, because of fuckin' greed instead of adding a good, competitive team (like WVU) the ACC and SEC are adding teams that give them more $$$. Motherfucker, I hate college football. It's a fuckin' atrocity.

bdoughty
09-21-2011, 02:20 AM
Yeah, leave it to Texas and their stupid Longhorn network. They are greedy and that is why we call them T-sippers.

What to do what to do.. I still say if we would have grabbed TCU and Houston back when he could. 12 team league, conference championship. Just move OU and OSU to the South and voila, you had a solid conference (this was back before Aggies jumped ship of course).

steelerfan
09-21-2011, 02:25 AM
And OU is asking for a handout in the form of a percentage of the (I'll agree, "stupid") LHN's revenue. Which is why they call you Mobilehoma. ;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

bdoughty
09-21-2011, 02:33 AM
We tried the Sooner Network but nobody could figure out how to get the satellite up and working. :P

steelerfan
09-21-2011, 03:08 AM
We tried the Sooner Network but nobody could figure out how to get the satellite up and working. :P

Lol. Just giving you the same business I give to my buddy who is a Texas fan. :nod:

oweb26
09-21-2011, 06:33 AM
What is ironic about all this too me, is logistically none of this makes sense. They don't want a playoff because kids would miss too much school, yet to play some of these teams would have miss a day or more for travel to play these "regular" season games.

This is such a money grab and hypocritical its ridiculous.

JBHuskers
09-21-2011, 08:19 AM

:D

JBHuskers
09-21-2011, 08:19 AM
What is ironic about all this too me, is logistically none of this makes sense. They don't want a playoff because kids would miss too much school, yet to play some of these teams would have miss a day or more for travel to play these "regular" season games.

Oh you know damn good and well there are no playoffs because means potentially less money in their eyes. :D

oweb26
09-21-2011, 08:23 AM
Oh you know damn good and well there are no playoffs because means potentially less money in their eyes. :D

Oh yeah I know and any rational person knows, but now that argument doesn't even hold up.

JBHuskers
09-21-2011, 10:33 AM
Good article here by Andy Katz on where things stand now after Pac-12 says no to greedy Texas. (http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/6998978/answering-questions-ever-changing-college-sports-landscape)

SmoothPancakes
09-21-2011, 10:45 AM
Good for the Pac-12! To hell with those greedy fuckers.

Deuce
09-21-2011, 10:52 AM
Ya...Texas seems to be pissing everyone off. I think schools should do what's best for them but sometimes being a good partner is what's best for them.

JBHuskers
09-21-2011, 10:59 AM
It seems like Pac-12 has stabilzed things. If they would have grabbed those four schools, then chaos would have ensued. It truly would have been a game of musical chairs.

bdoughty
09-21-2011, 04:15 PM
OU and OSU just need to leave for the SEC. The SEC can pick up one more school and you have your super conference. T-Sippers can stay in the Big 12 with Tech and pickup SMU, Rice, Houston and some other scrubs so they can feel invincible.

AustinWolv
09-21-2011, 04:23 PM
Been that way for a long time.

I think someone here already posted this, but the NCAA, ESPN, the bowls, schools, etc. is just a big money-making suckhole:
http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2011/10/the-shame-of-college-sports/8643/?single_page=true

NatureBoy
09-21-2011, 08:32 PM
East Carolina applies to join Big East.

East Carolina of Conference USA announced on Wednesday it has applied for membership in the Big East Conference.

"While we have formalized our interest in Big East Conference membership as a viable option, ECU will remain focused on competing at the highest level through the efforts of Conference USA," chancellor Steve Ballard and athletic director Terry Holland said in a statement Wednesday.

The Big East is regrouping after Syracuse and Pittsburgh joined the Atlantic Coast Conference.

A source told ESPN's Joe Schad on Tuesday that the Big East's initial expansion targets would be the service academies -- Army, Navy, and Air Force -- with Central Florida and East Carolina as second-tier possibilities.

The Associated Press, citing a person with knowledge of the discussions, reported Wednesday that Navy and Air Force are the top choices, but as football-only members.

The person spoke on condition of anonymity on Wednesday because the conference does not want to publicly disclose its plans.

Navy is an independent and Air Force plays in the Mountain West Conference.

Leaders from the Big East football schools and TCU, which is to enter the league in 2012, met with commissioner John Marinatto in Manhattan on Tuesday night. All the league's members, including the eight nonfootball-playing schools, committed to recruit new members.

But the league's status is still less than stable, especially with another piece of the realignment puzzle missing.

Once Texas A&M makes a clean break from the Big 12, the SEC will be at 13 teams, and likely looking for No. 14. Missouri seemed a candidate, but Big 12 officials are working to save that league.

There has been speculation the SEC could have West Virginia of the Big East as a target to be the 14th school.

"As I stated before, WVU is an excellent flagship, land-grant University, with national-caliber athletic and academic programs," West Virginia athletic director Oliver Luck said in a statement Wednesday. "We are, and will remain, a national player in college athletics."

There also has to be concern in the Big East that the ACC could come back for more of its members.

A source with direct knowledge of the meeting told ESPN.com's Andy Katz that UConn didn't commit to remain in the Big East and is still actively pursuing membership in the ACC.

UConn president Susan Herbst addressed her school's future in a statement released Wednesday.

"The past several days have magnified the period of instability that exists today in the world of college athletics. I want to say thank you to all of our loyal supporters and fans of UConn and our athletic programs for their patience during this time," she said. "Please know that we will always do what is in the best interests for the University of Connecticut."

West Virginia athletic director Oliver Luck commented on Tuesday night's Big East meeting in a statement released Wednesday.

"The group concluded the meeting with a strategy to recruit top level BCS-caliber institutions that match the league's strong athletic and academic histories and traditions," Lucks said. "As I stated before, WVU is an excellent flagship, land-grant university, with national-caliber athletic and academic programs. We are, and will remain, a national player in college athletics. The conference office will coordinate any further discussion on this issue."

Villanova, a Colonial Athletic Association team in football that won the FCS championship in 2009, wants to be considered as a candidate for the Big East, according to a source. The Wildcats already are in the Big East in basketball.

But the source said that with the Big 12 likely staying intact, at least nine schools other than the Huskies may have to wait for the ACC to decide if it will add two more schools to extend the league's membership to 16.

"The ACC is the preferred place for (Connecticut)," the source said. "That hasn't changed."

U.S. Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) said Wednesday he doesn't foresee involvement from congressional leaders in current issues facing college athletics.

"I don't think the universities need any advice from Congress about how to run their business," McConnell, a Louisville alumnus, told ESPN.com's Pat Forde. "I have concerns about it, but I'm not an expert on why the universities are doing what they're doing. I assume it is in their own best interests. From a fan perspective, it is a little perplexing. I don't know what's going to happen to traditional rivalries when they're traveling thousands of miles to play."

LINK (http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/7001803/east-carolina-applies-big-east-conference-membership)

SmoothPancakes
09-21-2011, 10:49 PM
Adios Dan Beebe.

morsdraconis
09-21-2011, 11:20 PM
I don't mind losing Syracuse and Pitt if we add Navy, Air Force, ECU, and maybe Kansas, Kansas State, Baylor, Iowa State, and UCF. The Big East could easily go to 14-16 schools if it needed to to keep up with the Super Conference stuff if the Big 12 collapses and the Pac-12 and/or SEC come along to scavenge up teams.

Shoot, with this list of schools, I'd be fine with WVU staying in the Big East:

WVU
Rutgers
Louisville
Cincinnati
USF
Connecticut
UCF
Baylor
Kansas
Kansas State
Navy
Air Force
ECU
Iowa State
TCU

That's a pretty decent 15 teams. Throw in Boise State or Houston and you have yourself a nice split for conference setup:

East

WVU
Connecticut
USF
UCF
Rutgers
Navy
Louisville
ECU

West

Cincinnati
Air Force
TCU
Boise State/Houston
Baylor
Kansas
Kansas State
Iowa State

bdoughty
09-21-2011, 11:34 PM
Adios Dan Beebe.

Fake Chuck Neinas had a farewell for Fake Dan Beebe.

https://twitter.com/#!/ChuckNeinas/status/116693535553630208

Hey @DanBeebe could you be a dear and set the thermostat to 61 on the way out. Leave the bowl of Werthers.

Fake twitter is serious business.

bdoughty
09-21-2011, 11:52 PM
Oh Mors...

We now have us a headhunter as commish. The Big 12 just got off life support.

Now let's Super Size The Big 12 add 4 more and have a TRUE Big 16.

North

Missouri
Kansas
Kansas St
BYU
Air Force
Cincinnati
Notre Dame
Iowa State

South

Oklahoma
Oklahoma St
Texas
Texas Tech
Baylor
Houston
SMU
TCU

JBHuskers
09-22-2011, 01:56 PM
...while Texas still gets to rake in the cash and keep it :D

bdoughty
09-22-2011, 03:58 PM
They can keep making the money, we will continue dominating the BIG 12 in football.

Deuce
09-22-2011, 04:10 PM
They can keep making the money, we will continue dominating the BIG 12 in football.

:up:

SmoothPancakes
09-22-2011, 06:14 PM
I'm going to give it until February or March before this all starts again. Unless the SEC does agree to add Missouri, then all bets are off.

NatureBoy
09-25-2011, 06:02 PM
Texas A&M officially joins SEC

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (September 25, 2011) – The Southeastern Conference Presidents and Chancellors, acting unanimously, announced today that Texas A&M University will join the Southeastern Conference effective July 1, 2012, with competition to begin in all sports for the 2012-13 academic year.

The addition of Texas A&M will increase the SEC membership to 13 institutions. It is the first expansion for the SEC since September of 1991 when the University of South Carolina joined the league. The University of Arkansas joined the SEC in August of 1991. With the addition of Arkansas and South Carolina, the SEC was the first conference to split into divisions and add a conference championship game in 1992.

“The Southeastern Conference Presidents and Chancellors are pleased to welcome Texas A&M University to the SEC family,” said Dr. Bernie Machen, chair of the SEC Presidents and Chancellors and president of the University of Florida. “The addition of Texas A&M University as the SEC’s 13th member gives our league a prestigious academic institution with a strong athletic tradition and a culture similar to our current institutions.”

“The Southeastern Conference provides Texas A&M the national visibility that our great university and our student-athletes deserve,” said Texas A&M University President R. Bowen Loftin. “We are excited to begin competition in the nation’s premier athletic conference. This is a 100-year decision that we have addressed carefully and methodically, and I believe the Southeastern Conference gives the Aggies the best situation of any conference in the country.”

Texas A&M , located in College Station, will also be the third institution in the Southeastern Conference to hold membership in the prestigious Association of American Universities, joining University of Florida and Vanderbilt University. Texas A&M has an enrollment of 50,000 students, ranking as the sixth-largest university in the country, with 360,000 former students worldwide.

Texas A&M also adds to the athletic excellence of the SEC. Last season, the Aggies won three NCAA team titles (men’s and women’s outdoor track and field, women’s basketball) and finished eighth in the prestigious Learfield Sports Director’s Cup all-sport rankings.

“On behalf of our presidents, chancellors, athletics directors, students and fans, I welcome Texas A&M University to the SEC family,” said SEC Commissioner Mike Slive. “Texas A&M is a nationally-prominent institution on and off the field and a great fit for the SEC tradition of excellence—athletically, academically and culturally.”

The Aggies sponsor 20 varsity sports. Men’s sports include baseball, basketball, football, golf, swimming and diving, tennis, indoor and outdoor track and field and cross country. Women’s sports include basketball, equestrian, golf, soccer, softball, swimming and diving, tennis, indoor and outdoor track and field and cross country and volleyball. Texas A&M participates in every sport sponsored by the SEC except gymnastics and the SEC sponsors every sport the Aggies participate in except equestrian.

LINK (http://www.secdigitalnetwork.com/NEWS/tabid/473/Article/228257/texas-am-to-join-southeastern-conference.aspx)

cdj
09-25-2011, 06:14 PM
I would say that the 14th member will be invited within the next month. I can't see the SEC sticking with an odd number.

bdoughty
09-25-2011, 06:22 PM
There is a shocker, inviting A&M this week. Right on time for the A&M/Ark game in Arlington.

JBHuskers
09-26-2011, 08:53 AM
I would say that the 14th member will be invited within the next month. I can't see the SEC sticking with an odd number.

Well wasn't Mizzou supposedly invited?

bdoughty
09-26-2011, 03:52 PM
Missouri and West Virginia have both been rumored but no invites.

Jayrah
09-27-2011, 11:18 PM
Well wasn't Mizzou supposedly invited?

Mizzou is now committed to the Big 12 I think with them staying together.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

psusnoop
09-28-2011, 07:42 AM
Mizzou is now committed to the Big 12 I think with them staying together.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

I have read that as well but I'd imagine they'd jump to the SEC if they could.

JBHuskers
10-06-2011, 10:31 AM
Uh oh....

TCU has scheduled a meeting of its board and will likely make the announcement ASAP that its headed to the Big 12.

morsdraconis
10-06-2011, 10:41 AM
:fdown:

God damn it Big East.

Rudy
10-06-2011, 05:02 PM
From a geographic standpoint it is a no brainer that TCU should be in the Big 12 instead of the Big East. I wonder if Big 12 stops at 10 if they get TCU.

JBHuskers
10-06-2011, 06:16 PM
From a geographic standpoint it is a no brainer that TCU should be in the Big 12 instead of the Big East. I wonder if Big 12 stops at 10 if they get TCU.

Just add Houston and SMU and call it The Big Texas Orgy

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

bdoughty
10-06-2011, 06:39 PM
Big 12 is starting to shape up. We add Houston and BYU and we will be fine. If Missou leaves we might throw SMU a bone. Two teams out of the DFW area is one too much for me. I would rather have a Tulsa. over SMU.

Rudy
10-06-2011, 06:54 PM
I don't think they will add Houston and SMU. Those guys drag down the TV money as they have to share more of it with two teams that won't generate much income. TCU is a bigger name and gets them to 10. There is no point in going to 12 unless those next two teams are good candidates. Maybe BYU. But if you go past 10 you have to add two more and I'm not sure there are two good candidates for that without seeing the TV money drop per team.

jaymo76
10-08-2011, 05:33 PM
I really feel for the BIG EAST. I thought they were getting back on there feet in football but now they pretty much look like the WAC of a few years back. Sad fate for a conference I have always liked.

bdoughty
10-09-2011, 08:40 PM
http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2011-10-09/report-big-east-considering-boise-state-air-force-navy-for-football

The conference is looking into adding Boise State, Air Force and Navy as football-only members, The Boston Globe reported, citing Big East sources. The report also said the league is interested in adding Temple and Central Florida in all sports and that Villanova could become the league's 12th football team.

Really? Villanova has had some good teams the last few years but they seem to be on a bit of a slide this year (http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/222/villanova-wildcats). :fp:

Give us some Hoya football. They at least have a winning record.

morsdraconis
10-09-2011, 11:23 PM
I definitely don't see either FCS school making the upgrade to BCS football worth. We're talkin' about taking stadiums that are smaller than some high school football stadiums (Villanova - 12,500 and Georgetown - 2,500) and trying to get them up to 50,000 or more. It's just not happening. It's bad enough that we have Cincinnati (35,100) and Connecticut (40,000). That's just atrocious football stadium capacities considering half the time, they don't even sell those seats out.

The Big East is floundering, very badly. I just hope WVU has something up their sleeves once the Big 12 stupidly gives Louisville entrance into the conference (which, from everything that I've read and heard, sounds highly likely once they get TCU officially in). Once we go down to 5 teams, we're no longer considering a conference, and WVU is free to leave without paying the buyout (which, from what I've heard, is their reasoning for not immediately leaving the conference with the offers that they have on the table).

The Big East is going to no longer be a conference (if everything happens as what I'm hearing is going to happen).

psuexv
10-10-2011, 01:17 PM
When do you think the BCS removes the Big East as an automatic qualifier? The only real team is WVU, even if they do add 6 other schools.

SmoothPancakes
10-10-2011, 01:20 PM
The Big East is seriously considering Air Force? Christ, that's even fucking worse than TCU in the Big East. Are the Big East schools really going to want to constantly fly out to Colorado for a football game? Is the Falcons football team really going to want to fly clear to the east coast every fucking week for a game? Jesus this is just getting fucking retarded.

JBHuskers
10-10-2011, 03:43 PM
Big East Will Consider Adding Six Teams for Football (http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7084162/big-east-consider-adding-6-football-schools)

Army, Navy, Air Force, Memphis, Central Florida, East Carolina & Temple among those being rumored.

bdoughty
10-10-2011, 03:50 PM
Well TCU is getting ready to announce they are moving to the BIG 12. Then you have the Missouri issue. I do not think anyone wants them bad enough and they will stay in the Big 12. That puts us at 10. All the sources claim we are looking at BYU, Louisville and West Virginia. I think we end up snagging BYU and Louisville for 12 and West Virginia heads out to the SEC to put them 14.

The Big East simply becomes the MAC conference of the East.

jaymo76
10-10-2011, 03:54 PM
Big East is apparently also considering a name change... front runner apparently is the Significanlty Small Northwest Eastern FCS/FBS Hybrid Conference. You know it's over when the WAC has an more impressive lineup.

JBHuskers
10-10-2011, 04:04 PM
Big Least?

bdoughty
10-10-2011, 04:11 PM
Wait a second we have a new contender to the SEC.

Try and guess the school first before clicking this link or looking at the URL. (http://www.wmctv.com/story/15657761/rc-johnson-on-u-of-m-we-deserve-to-be-in-sec)

I will give you a hint. Free Throws? We don't need to practice no stinking Free Throws.

morsdraconis
10-10-2011, 04:12 PM
Big Least?

That's old. They've, supposedly, been the "Big Least" since the ACC stole away BC, Virginia Tech, and Miami, yet, WVU has had some of the best success by a school EVER in the past 7 or 8 years, while the ACC has done jack shit. Funny how that works out, eh? ;)

But, yes, for the love of god, WVU, get the fuck out of the Big East ASAP.

JBHuskers
10-10-2011, 04:13 PM

Try and guess the school first before clicking this link or looking at the URL. (http://www.wmctv.com/story/15657761/rc-johnson-on-u-of-m-we-deserve-to-be-in-sec)

I will give you a hint. Free Throws? We don't need to practice no stinking Free Throws.

"We Believe" we deserve to get our asses handed to us in the SEC?

morsdraconis
10-10-2011, 04:15 PM

Pfft, fuck them. Their football team is worse than Missouri, and that's saying something since Missouri hasn't been relevant in football since the old Big Eight conference.

Rudy
10-10-2011, 05:09 PM
I just hope WVU escapes to the SEC. There aren't many good football schools left in the Big East and it would suck if they got stuck there. Adding BYU and Louisville to the Big 12 would be interesting.

bdoughty
10-10-2011, 06:27 PM
http://espn.go.com/dallas/ncf/story/_/id/7085749/big-12-vote-unanimous-allow-tcu-horned-frogs-2012-13

Deal is done. TCU back where they belong.

SmoothPancakes
10-10-2011, 06:47 PM
They gonna finally stay there? Jesus, they wouldn't just find a spot and stay. A shame they jumped already. The Big East should have fucked them with exit fees for this bullshit.

JBHuskers
10-10-2011, 07:12 PM
They gonna finally stay there? Jesus, they wouldn't just find a spot and stay. A shame they jumped already. The Big East should have fucked them with exit fees for this bullshit.

I believe they still have to pay the Big East $5M.

SmoothPancakes
10-10-2011, 07:16 PM
I believe they still have to pay the Big East $5M.

They better have to. Sure, the Big 12 makes more sense geographically for them, but to go and join the Big East, then only a couple months later say a big "FU" to the conference and leave for a different one, I'd make them pay out the ass for that bullshit if I was the commissioner.

JBHuskers
10-10-2011, 07:18 PM
They better have to. Sure, the Big 12 makes more sense geographically for them, but to go and join the Big East, then only a couple months later say a big "FU" to the conference and leave for a different one, I'd make them pay out the ass for that bullshit if I was the commissioner.

Yeah I'm 99% sure they have to pay that amount.

morsdraconis
10-10-2011, 09:04 PM
Yup. They do.

bdoughty
10-11-2011, 04:00 PM
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ap-ucf-bigeast

Looks like we shall see UCF in the Big East. Quality pickup there.

AustinWolv
10-11-2011, 04:03 PM
http://espn.go.com/dallas/ncf/story/_/id/7085749/big-12-vote-unanimous-allow-tcu-horned-frogs-2012-13

Deal is done. TCU back where they belong.

I like it. Hopefully a good move for both.

morsdraconis
10-11-2011, 07:30 PM
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ap-ucf-bigeast

Looks like we shall see UCF in the Big East. Quality pickup there.

Are you being sarcastic? (I ask because I can't tell)

Reports are that the Big East is going to look like this, if no one else leaves the conference:

East

Navy
Temple
UCF
USF
Rutgers
Connecticut

West

WVU
Cincinnati
Louisville
Houston
Air Force
SMU

While the travel would definitely suck, I wouldn't be horribly against that setup.

NatureBoy
10-11-2011, 08:47 PM
Do these schools not consider all sports when making these decisions? Do they really want to travel cross country for soccer, volleyball, track and field, softball, baseball etc? Sure, football brings in the big bucks but all of the smaller sports bring little to any money from what i've been reading.

SmoothPancakes
10-11-2011, 08:57 PM
Only way for that to happen, is if Air Force and Navy are guaranteed a game every single year. Otherwise, no way in hell. The Commander-in-Chief's trophy is the most important thing about all for the academies, at least for Navy. The CIC is more important than a winning season, more important than a bowl game, more important than anything. Unless that game was set in stone every season, Navy would never agree.

morsdraconis
10-11-2011, 09:04 PM
Do these schools not consider all sports when making these decisions? Do they really want to travel cross country for soccer, volleyball, track and field, softball, baseball etc? Sure, football brings in the big bucks but all of the smaller sports bring little to any money from what i've been reading.

Air Force and Navy would be Football only. Possibly the same with Houston and SMU. Would make sense.

Only way for that to happen, is if Air Force and Navy are guaranteed a game every single year. Otherwise, no way in hell. The Commander-in-Chief's trophy is the most important thing about all for the academies, at least for Navy. The CIC is more important than a winning season, more important than a bowl game, more important than anything. Unless that game was set in stone every season, Navy would never agree.

I'm sure they will have cross conference rivalries set in stone. You would think they would have to for them to get Air Force and Navy.

SmoothPancakes
10-11-2011, 09:40 PM
I'm sure they will have cross conference rivalries set in stone. You would think they would have to for them to get Air Force and Navy.

For that setup, with the two in opposite divisions, they pretty much would have to. Navy's AD, Niumatalolo, and others have said in interviews in recent weeks, with all the swirling rumors about Navy and the Big East, that the CIC is their most important goal, above all others. No way would Navy join the Big East, with Air Force in a different division, without a guarantee that they will play every year in a cross-conference game for CIC play purposes.

NatureBoy
10-11-2011, 09:46 PM
:D I guess it's time to clean my glasses. I was thinking it was for all sports. Maybe it's just me but I don't like the idea of having your football team in one conference and the rest of your sports in another.

bdoughty
10-11-2011, 10:43 PM
Are you being sarcastic? (I ask because I can't tell)

Reports are that the Big East is going to look like this, if no one else leaves the conference:

East

Navy
Temple
UCF
USF
Rutgers
Connecticut

West

WVU
Cincinnati
Louisville
Houston
Air Force
SMU

While the travel would definitely suck, I wouldn't be horribly against that setup.

Yeah a little sarcastic. Not a fan of the football only thing. Plus UCF is not exactly a catch for Football to begin with.

JBHuskers
10-14-2011, 02:57 PM
Sounds like the Big East is looking to strike sometime next week. Lots of desperation in trying to keep that AQ bid.

SmoothPancakes
10-14-2011, 03:07 PM
Yep. I just got a college football text from ESPN, with a report from the AP saying that the Big East is planning to invite Boise State, Navy and Air Force in football only, and Central Florida in all sports.

steelerfan
10-14-2011, 05:35 PM
ESPN is reporting that the Mountain West and C-USA have agreed to consolidate into a 22-team football conference.

Wow.

SmoothPancakes
10-14-2011, 06:50 PM
ESPN is reporting that the Mountain West and C-USA have agreed to consolidate into a 22-team football conference.

Wow.

What. The. Fuck? Didn't they learn anything from their time as a mega-conference with the WAC?

morsdraconis
10-14-2011, 08:39 PM
Sounds like a move of preparation for when conferences come to steal away their members (as the Big East supposedly is).

SmoothPancakes
10-14-2011, 09:07 PM
Well, for the MWC it kind of makes sense with TCU bailing for the Big East Big 12, and Boise State and Air Force potentially bailing for the Big East, their numbers will be down, though they still have Fresno State, Hawaii, and Nevada coming in next year.

But it doesn't for C-USA with UCF the only team currently with an invite. Now if the Big 12 comes calling for SMU or Houston, then you look at making a move, but this right now just screams premature.

SmoothPancakes
10-14-2011, 11:04 PM
And we have new names. The Big East is going for a home run of sorts. They have sent invitations to be full-time members to Houston, SMU and Central Florida, and Air Force and Boise State as football only additions. They are still working on a deal with Navy, though I personally doubt the Midshipmen will agree. Temple was considered at one point, and could still be considered as a backup, even though they were just booted out back in 2005.

Also have seen some stories and quotes suggesting that Boise State is going to stick with the Mountain West and not join the Big East. And it sounds like Air Force could be considering declining with Army not having any desire to join the Big East, and a more probable and likely than not decline by Navy.

bdoughty
10-15-2011, 01:31 AM
I do not have words. Just sort this stuff out so we can concentrate on some football.

JBHuskers
10-18-2011, 08:20 AM
Report: Mizzou application to join SEC imminent (http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7117069/report-missouri-tigers-application-join-sec-imminent)

bdoughty
10-18-2011, 03:27 PM
We almost had ten teams.:fp:

JBHuskers
10-18-2011, 03:29 PM
We almost had ten teams.:fp:

Maybe Texas State will change their mind and go Big XII instead? :dunno:

bdoughty
10-18-2011, 04:01 PM
Or we could capture that San Antonio market and get those might UTSA Road Runners away from the WAC.

JBHuskers
10-18-2011, 04:04 PM
Or we could capture that San Antonio market and get those might UTSA Road Runners away from the WAC.

Talk about an instant upgrade. For UTSA that is.

bdoughty
10-18-2011, 04:09 PM
Hey now we get something too. A team playing in a domed stadium and visiting teams will surely enjoy the San Antonio River Walk.

SmoothPancakes
10-18-2011, 05:36 PM
Hey now we get something too. A team playing in a domed stadium and visiting teams will surely enjoy the San Antonio River Walk.

And everyone in the Big 12 gets an automatic victory every year. Even Iowa State.

JBHuskers
10-25-2011, 12:55 PM
So is West Virginia to the Big XII pretty much official? Lots of sports guys talking on Twitter like it is.

JBHuskers
10-25-2011, 01:12 PM
Looks like it is so....West Virginia to the Big XII (http://twitter.com/#!/Sean_Callahan/status/128892923604504576)

bdoughty
10-25-2011, 02:07 PM
http://oi54.tinypic.com/pobk2.jpg

JBHuskers
10-25-2011, 02:10 PM
Shortest trip for West Virginia in the Big XII, 733 miles to Iowa State.

morsdraconis
10-25-2011, 02:15 PM
WVU Football will be fine with those extra costs for traveling. It's the other sports that might be hurting more (as it seems like it's all sports for WVU moving to Big XII).

AustinWolv
10-25-2011, 02:17 PM
Regardless, it is a stupid affiliation.

morsdraconis
10-25-2011, 02:20 PM
Regardless, it is a stupid affiliation.

Stupid, yes. But, welcome to the ridiculousness that is NCAA Football.

Either way, this move isn't happening for WVU until 2014, at the earliest, because of the Big East requiring a 72 month exit time.

JBHuskers
10-25-2011, 02:24 PM
Stupid, yes. But, welcome to the ridiculousness that is NCAA Football.

Either way, this move isn't happening for WVU until 2014, at the earliest, because of the Big East requiring a 72 month exit time.

Huh? 72 months is 6 years.

AustinWolv
10-25-2011, 02:24 PM
welcome to the ridiculousness that is NCAA Football.
Long-time acquaintance already. Unsatisfied customer.

JBHuskers
10-25-2011, 02:43 PM
From what I'm hearing, neither Mizzou or West Virginia will not move until 2013-14, so they'll be around one more year. If Mizzou was smart they'd stay in the Big XII now as they are starting to become a little more stablized.

morsdraconis
10-25-2011, 04:27 PM
Huh? 72 months is 6 years.

I don't get it either. I'm just spouting what I've heard from various radio/printed media. I never knew anything about the 72 month requirement but, apparently, there's some way around it where WVU could possibly be in the Big 12 next year from everything I've been hearing now.

JBHuskers
10-25-2011, 04:29 PM
I don't get it either. I'm just spouting what I've heard from various radio/printed media. I never knew anything about the 72 month requirement but, apparently, there's some way around it where WVU could possibly be in the Big 12 next year from everything I've been hearing now.

I thought the Big East wasn't doing the stringent requirements until more teams joined and they were going to then set some higher penalties?

SmoothPancakes
10-25-2011, 04:29 PM
Unless the idiots in the media meant 27 months, and for some reason were saying 72. I wouldn't put it past them. I'm affiliated with them via work, I've seen how bad it can be, especially with the AP. :fp:

morsdraconis
10-25-2011, 05:05 PM
I thought the Big East wasn't doing the stringent requirements until more teams joined and they were going to then set some higher penalties?

As far as I know, they are planning to increase the buyout to $15 million, but WVU will, apparently, be getting out of that by saying that they are leaving now instead of later or something along those lines.

As for other penalties, I'm not sure what all they are planning on adding. Again, I knew nothing about the wait time requirements until it started to be reported by media people so I don't know how they are getting out of it or if they aren't or what.

morsdraconis
10-25-2011, 05:06 PM
Unless the idiots in the media meant 27 months, and for some reason were saying 72. I wouldn't put it past them. I'm affiliated with them via work, I've seen how bad it can be, especially with the AP. :fp:

You know, 27 months does make more sense since it's 3 more months for this year and then 2 years from then, putting it right at the 2014-2015 season that I've been hearing is the earliest time for WVU to be able to join the Big XII.

Rudy
10-25-2011, 07:36 PM
It is 27 months. I'm not sure if the Big East can enforce some of these penalties if the conference falls below 6 for football. I thought I read that if you drop below six you aren't considered a conference and some of those teams might be able to get out of their exit fees. Not sure.

morsdraconis
10-25-2011, 07:40 PM
It is 27 months. I'm not sure if the Big East can enforce some of these penalties if the conference falls below 6 for football. I thought I read that if you drop below six you aren't considered a conference and some of those teams might be able to get out of their exit fees. Not sure.

I think that's the possible exit strategy. WVU waits for Pitt and Syracuse to leave and hopefully someone, like UConn, to jump ship as well and then WVU completely gets out of the $5 million exit fee and, possibly, the wait as well.

gschwendt
10-26-2011, 12:38 PM
WVU move on hold now
(http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/7152071/west-virginia-mountaineers-move-big-12-hold-reports-say)
Good... I absolutely don't want those cross-nation conferences taking off.

What I'd love to see is CUSA meet up with MWC & Big East and split that conference between the two. Houston & SMU could join Big 12, maybe a handful join SBC (Memphis, Tulane/La Tech, Southern Miss)... that would at least lead to more regional conferences, which is my priority from a fan standpoint.

psuexv
10-26-2011, 12:43 PM
Or if they do get together and do that huge 32 team conference. Have a East and West division and the winners play in the championship game.

AustinWolv
10-26-2011, 01:18 PM
Crossing fingers here also.

morsdraconis
10-26-2011, 01:26 PM
I'm all for it. Anything to get WVU out of the crumbling Big lEast.

gschwendt
10-26-2011, 01:47 PM
I'm all for it. Anything to get WVU out of the crumbling Big lEast.How about this?
BEHOLD THE FUTURE OF COLLEGE ATHLETICS: THE SUNBEAST (http://www.everydayshouldbesaturday.com/2011/10/18/2498232/behold-the-future-of-college-athletics-the-sunbeast)

bdoughty
10-26-2011, 03:03 PM
I just want this all to end... With a playoff system.

SmoothPancakes
10-26-2011, 03:03 PM
WVU move on hold now
(http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/7152071/west-virginia-mountaineers-move-big-12-hold-reports-say)

What I'd love to see is CUSA meet up with MWC & Big East and split that conference between the two. Houston & SMU could join Big 12, maybe a handful join SBC (Memphis, Tulane/La Tech, Southern Miss)... that would at least lead to more regional conferences, which is my priority from a fan standpoint.

Crossing fingers here also.

Agreed completely. I much much much more prefer regional conferences. Air Force, Boise State and Houston (maybe) in the Big East, West Virginia in the Big 12, for the love of god, don't start this cross-country shit. At that point, we may as well just abolish all the conferences and have a massive nationwide round robin.

JBHuskers
10-26-2011, 03:04 PM
If Missouri goes, expect the dominos to fall big time.

bdoughty
10-26-2011, 06:17 PM
It is not on hold, The Big 12 is just watching a couple senators throw hissy fits (http://www.wvillustrated.com/story/15883422/manchin-issues-statement).

It will end with both Louisville and WV to join the Big 12 and BYU will come around and make it 12, after Missouri heads off to a future similar to what Colorado is seeing in the PAC 12.

jaymo76
10-26-2011, 11:04 PM
I just want this all to end... With a playoff system.

Honestly, all this movement is making me lose interest in the product on the field. I almost want to see a return to the good old days of no national title game and corruption and deciet amongst the bowl selection cmte.

JBHuskers
10-28-2011, 10:52 AM
From Joe Schad:

WVU says it will begin play in Big 12 next season

morsdraconis
10-28-2011, 10:59 AM
From Joe Schad:

:popcorn:

JBHuskers
10-28-2011, 11:00 AM
: up : is what you're looking for Mors :D :up:

morsdraconis
10-28-2011, 11:01 AM
: up : is what you're looking for Mors :D :up:

:blush:

Too many damn websites have different shorthands for these damn emoticons...

AustinWolv
10-28-2011, 11:04 AM
From Joe Schad:

LAAAAAAME!

JBHuskers
10-28-2011, 11:45 AM
A picture from Kegs N Eggs' website:

http://p.twimg.com/Ac2ykLfCEAA6HdZ.jpg

SmoothPancakes
10-28-2011, 01:20 PM

morsdraconis
10-28-2011, 01:43 PM
BYU won't join the Big 12 unless they go to 12 teams (and they aren't at the moment).

Also, yes, Texas runs the Big 12. What's new?

JBHuskers
10-28-2011, 01:55 PM
@KegsnEggs

To pay for WVU's BE exit fee, sources tell me the school is sending Dana Holgorsen to Atlantic City for a blackjack session.

bdoughty
10-28-2011, 05:59 PM
Welcome aboard WV, I guess. I really do prefer a more regional conference, even if that means taking in an SMU or a Tulsa.

SmoothPancakes
10-28-2011, 07:03 PM
So besides the Big East (at least when it comes to a football conference) essentially replacing the Big 12 as the conference on the chopping block, nothing has changed. The Big 12 picks up WVU, but is going to lose Missouri, so everything is still exactly the same as it was yesterday, just a different team, and one farther away.

bdoughty
10-28-2011, 08:22 PM
I still think we are watching a future Big 12 matchup tonight with BYU @ TCU.

jaymo76
10-28-2011, 09:04 PM
A picture from Kegs N Eggs' website:

http://p.twimg.com/Ac2ykLfCEAA6HdZ.jpg

It is time to move back to regional conferences. I really wish the NCAA could step inh and say enough is enough.

bdoughty
11-01-2011, 02:11 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/7177969/big-east-invite-six-football-according-report

Report: Big East extends six invites

The Big East Conference will invite Boise State, Navy and Air Force for football only and SMU, Houston and Central Florida for all sports, a source with knowledge of the situation told The Associated Press.

The conference's member presidents, meeting in Philadelphia, voted unanimously Tuesday to extend invitations to football-only and all-sports members. Commissioner John Marinatto declined to name the schools being targeted.

gschwendt
11-01-2011, 02:17 PM
Sad that 2/6 teams are actually in the East. Three of the other four should be considered for the Big 12, though it'd be acceptable if they all went/stayed MWC.

SmoothPancakes
11-01-2011, 05:09 PM
Good lord. We already have the "We can't fucking count" conference in the Big 10. And now we're about to have the "We call ourselves the Big East, but half our teams are located west of the Mississippi" conference.

bdoughty
11-01-2011, 06:35 PM
Good lord. We already have the "We can't fucking count" conference in the Big 10. And now we're about to have the "We call ourselves the Big East, but half our teams are located west of the Mississippi" conference.

Not to mention the BIG 12 -2, -1, +1, -1?

jaymo76
11-01-2011, 09:53 PM
Maybe it's time to just create divisions based on geography for all 120 teams... this is getting ridiculous now...

gigemaggs99
11-02-2011, 06:37 PM
Is there a master list of the teams that are switching, set in stone somewhere?

I'm almost to the end of the season in my OD and I'd like realign conferences for next season.

I know there are a bunch of rumors but I'm not 100% sure who is going and who isn't. I know A&M is going to the SEC for sure and TCU to the Big 12, but other than that I just hear rumors.

Any suggetions/help?

steelerfan
11-02-2011, 06:41 PM
Is there a master list of the teams that are switching, set in stone somewhere?

I'm almost to the end of the season in my OD and I'd like realign conferences for next season.

I know there are a bunch of rumors but I'm not 100% sure who is going and who isn't. I know A&M is going to the SEC for sure and TCU to the Big 12, but other than that I just hear rumors.

Any suggetions/help?

This is what I've used...

http://collegesportsinfo.com/conference-realignment-grid/

gigemaggs99
11-02-2011, 06:48 PM
This is what I've used...

http://collegesportsinfo.com/conference-realignment-grid/

Thank you sir.

steelerfan
11-02-2011, 06:57 PM
Thank you sir.

bdoughty
11-03-2011, 06:14 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7186814/idaho-state-board-education-gives-boise-st-ok-join-big-east

dun dun dun

bdoughty
11-06-2011, 01:35 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/7199062/missouri-tigers-move-sec-official-big-12-hurdles-remain

Goodbye Missouri

morsdraconis
11-06-2011, 09:15 PM
Yay!

JBHuskers
11-07-2011, 08:37 AM
Just like Colorado, a move for more stability > competing for a conference title.

Rudy
11-07-2011, 05:42 PM
Just like Colorado, a move for more money > competing for a conference title.

Fixed it for you.

JBHuskers
11-07-2011, 06:23 PM
Fixed it for you.

That goes hand in hand :D

SmoothPancakes
11-07-2011, 06:33 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7186814/idaho-state-board-education-gives-boise-st-ok-join-big-east

dun dun dun

Actually reading through that story just now, and reading the story currently on ESPN about the Big East approaching BYU about membership, Boise State isn't going anywhere anytime soon. If the Big East wants Boise State, they have a shit ton of work ahead of them. Boise State will only join the Big East if there is a West Division to cut down on travel. So the Big East had better get their shit in order with BYU, SMU, Houston, Air Force, and someone else out west before they'll be able to get Boise State to join.

cdj
12-05-2011, 09:55 PM
The Big East is on the verge of completing expansion plans that will see Boise State and San Diego State added for football only and SMU, Central Florida and Houston joining as all-sports members, possibly by the end of this week, according to two leading college officials.

The goal is to get those schools added in time for the 2013 season, with Air Force and Navy expected to join later.

Link (http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2011/12/big_east_on_the_verge_of_addin.html)

JBHuskers
12-05-2011, 10:18 PM
San Diego State in the Big East? What. The. Fuck.

baseballplyrmvp
12-05-2011, 10:30 PM
at this point, all of these moves are just completely stupid. they should just remove all of the conferences and let let everyone battle it out.

jaymo76
12-05-2011, 10:48 PM
San Diego State in the Big East? What. The. Fuck.

Maybe now EAST is interpretted as "east of the Pacific Ocean...???..."

steelerfan
12-06-2011, 12:52 AM
Maybe now EAST is interpretted as "east of the Pacific Ocean...???..."

Close to the Far East? :dunno:

gigemaggs99
12-21-2011, 11:02 PM
I don't follow the East/West talk either. They were saying A&M would join the SEC EAST, seems like we would be more "West" than any other SEC team...:dunno:

However, when looking at the SEC teams it seem they are mostly on the East of the USA, so it seems like they should be more North/South than East/West. :bang:

JeffHCross
12-22-2011, 08:48 AM
However, when looking at the SEC teams it seem they are mostly on the East of the USA, so it seems like they should be more North/South than East/West. :bang:Well, yes. The SouthEastern conference is generally going to be in the East of the USA. ;)

And the West/East distinction a geographical split within the southeast. Until A&M and Missouri joined, it worked pretty well. If you ignore that Nashville is technically west of Auburn, then the easternmost six teams are in the East, with the westernmost six teams are in the West. But unless you move a team from the West to the East (and upsetting all of those current rivalries), the "easy" thing to do is, inexplicably, put either Missouri or A&M in the East. Otherwise you're faced with the same type of decision the B1G Ten has last year with splitting Michigan-Ohio State -- how would the SEC fanbases react to splitting up Auburn and Alabama?

SmoothPancakes
01-23-2012, 09:43 PM
I'm not sure how I feel about this, now that it appears to be a done deal. I love Navy being an independent, and while the games against Air Force, Army, and Notre Dame will remain permanent on the schedule from here until forever, some great match-ups and newer rivalries (such as Navy-SMU) are going to be affected.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7495168/navy-midshipmen-join-big-east-football-2015-source-says

Source: Navy to join Big East in 2015

Navy is expected to announce soon that it will join the Big East Conference for football in 2015, a source said Monday.

Navy, one of three service academies in the NCAA Division I Football Bowl Subdivision, presently plays as an independent.

Navy athletic director Chet Gladchuk has previously said that scheduling and bowl and television contracts would make the transition from independent status to a conference more complicated than expected.

The Big East, hit by the departures of Pittsburgh and Syracuse to the ACC and TCU and West Virginia to the Big 12, will add Boise State and San Diego State for football and SMU, UCF and Houston for all sports, starting in 2013.

Big East commissioner John Marinatto would like to get the conference to 12 football-playing schools, which would allow it to play a conference championship game.

When West Virginia departs and the new members begin play, the conference will have 11 members playing football.

West Virginia has sued the Big East in order to be able to join the Big 12 for the 2012 season. The Big East has countersued West Virginia in an attempt to force the school to abide by the conference bylaw requiring schools to wait 27 months before leaving.

A judge in Rhode Island has ordered the Big East and West Virginia into non-binding mediation in an attempt to resolve their lawsuits against each other.

The Big East has seven members that don't play Division I FBS football: St. John's, Seton Hall, Villanova, Georgetown, DePaul, Marquette and Providence. Notre Dame is a football independent but plays other sports (except ice hockey) in the Big East.

JeffHCross
01-23-2012, 09:59 PM
Getting closer to the annihilation of the lower conferences ...

morsdraconis
01-23-2012, 10:04 PM
Getting closer to the annihilation of the lower conferences ...

:nod:

It's only a matter of time. They really need to stop screwin' around and just make 8 Super Conferences and have auto bids from all of them into the BCS Conference Playoff format (even do two extra bids based on rankings or some shit if they want so that they can have the #1 and #2 teams in the rankings have bye weeks). All of this all crap is just silly.

DariusLock
01-24-2012, 09:06 AM
I say put some of the smaller conferences together.... Sun Belt/C-USA ... MAC/WAC etc.

SmoothPancakes
01-24-2012, 03:44 PM
And it's official.

For: Immediate Release
Sent: January 24, 2012
Contacts: Cmdr. William Marks, Naval Academy Public Affairs (410) 293-1521
Scott Strasemeier, Associate AD for Sports Information (410) 293-8775

Naval Academy To Join The BIG EAST For Football In 2015

ANNAPOLIS, Md.—Naval Academy Superintendent Vice Admiral Michael Miller, USN announced Tuesday in conjunction with BIG EAST Commissioner John Marinatto that the Naval Academy has accepted a formal invitation from the BIG EAST to become a football-only member of the conference starting with the 2015 season.

The Naval Academy and the BIG EAST have agreed to a three-year phase-in period during which a scheduling partnership will be created and leading to a full schedule of eight games in 2015. During that period, Navy will continue its current partnership with CBS and post-season bowls. In anticipation of full football membership, Navy will be included in all future television, marketing, promotion, and bowl negotiations by the BIG EAST Conference effective immediately.

Naval Academy To Join The BIG EAST For Football In 2015

The Naval Academy will continue to annually compete against Army and Air Force for the Commander-In-Chief's Trophy and its rivalry with Notre Dame will continue as the longest, continuous intersectional matchup in FBS football.

Jan. 24, 2012

Naval Academy Superintendent Vice Admiral Michael Miller, USN announced Tuesday in conjunction with BIG EAST Commissioner John Marinatto that the Naval Academy has accepted a formal invitation from the BIG EAST to become a football-only member of the conference starting with the 2015 season.

The Naval Academy and the BIG EAST have agreed to a three-year phase-in period during which a scheduling partnership will be created and leading to a full schedule of eight games in 2015. During that period, Navy will continue its current partnership with CBS and post-season bowls. In anticipation of full football membership, Navy will be included in all future television, marketing, promotion, and bowl negotiations by the BIG EAST Conference effective immediately.

"The Naval Academy is pleased to accept the invitation for our football team to join the BIG EAST conference," said Miller. "After careful consideration, we believe this affiliation to be in the best interests of the Naval Academy, our athletic programs and the Brigade of Midshipmen. While our independent status has served Navy Football well to date, BIG EAST conference affiliation will help ensure our future scholar-athletes and athletic programs remain competitive at the highest levels for the foreseeable future."

"When people look back, they will mark this as a truly historic day for the BIG EAST Conference," said Commissioner John Marinatto. "America's first national football conference is adding a program with true national appeal. Navy's decision to make the BIG EAST its first football conference home after over 100 years of independence demonstrates the value of our new expansion model and the long-term viability of our football product. The BIG EAST is truly proud to be associated with one of the most prestigious academic institutions in the country and one of the most storied programs in college football."

The Naval Academy has established itself as one of the nation's elite institutions in both academic and athletic prowess. Navy has annually ranked near the top of both the NCAA's APR and Graduation Success Rate for student-athletes. This past year, Navy's Graduation Success Rate of 96% places the Academy in the top four of all FBS institutions.

On the gridiron the Midshipmen have compiled a record of 75-40 (.652) over the last nine seasons with the 75 wins ranking as the 20th most in the country (and third most among current or future Big East Schools ranking behind Boise State and West Virginia) over that period. The Mids have gone to a bowl game in eight of the last nine years and their 18 wins over schools from a BCS conference are the most of any non-BCS school over that same nine-year period.

"The BIG EAST will provide an expanded stage for the American public to see our nation's future leaders," said Naval Academy Director of Athletics Chet Gladchuk. "Expanded media opportunities and coverage by the BIG EAST will elevate the national visibility of Navy football to the highest levels. This new affiliation will brand Navy football as a member of a BCS conference whose competitive aspirations include the opportunity to compete for a championship. The BIG EAST plays a prominent role in the NCAA governance structure and affiliation will ensure that the Naval Academy solidifies its position as an important contributor to leadership decisions on a national level. The future direction of Division I athletics and the vision for collegiate football will include insights and input brought to the table by the Naval Academy administration."

Joining the BIG EAST will not require any degree of government/taxpayer money. Membership, rather, will enhance opportunities for revenue generation in support of the physical mission and the Brigade to a significant degree. New opportunities for revenues will significantly exceed what Navy can generate as an Independent in football. The business model that correlates with joining the BIG EAST illustrates an unparalleled opportunity to stabilize the financial condition of both the Naval Academy Athletic Association and the Academy's support for the physical mission at large. This includes 32 varsity sports, 14 club programs, intramurals, physical education, and mission related facilities.

Television exposure and opportunities for marketing/promotion will be greatly enhanced through BIG EAST membership. The BIG EAST television footprint represents 30% of the nation's households.

"This is an exciting time to be a part of the Navy football program," said Navy head football coach Ken Niumatalolo (http://www.navysports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/niumatalolo_ken00.html). "There is no doubt the BIG EAST will be a challenging league for us to compete in every year, but the young men that come to Navy want to compete against the best and I believe this will open up some recruiting doors that we've been unable to open in the past."

The Naval Academy will continue to annually compete against Army and Air Force for the Commander-In-Chief's Trophy and its rivalry with Notre Dame will continue as the longest, continuous intersectional matchup in FBS football.

"It is important to the U.S. Naval Academy, as a premier source for producing the next generation of Naval and Marine Corps officers, that Navy football remains relevant as well as highly visible on the national stage," said Miller. "This has proven to be the case over the last decade and it will perpetuate itself with this new affiliation."

http://www.navysports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/012412aaa.html

JeffHCross
01-24-2012, 10:28 PM
So, Air Force, Army and Notre Dame will continue. I hope, for Navy's sake, that the Big East never goes to a 9 game schedule.

morsdraconis
01-25-2012, 07:24 AM
So, Air Force, Army and Notre Dame will continue. I hope, for Navy's sake, that the Big East never goes to a 9 game schedule.

Nah. They'll stay at 8 games since they'll have divisions now. It'll be really easy for them to keep Air Force and Navy playing since they could be cross conference protected rivals and always play one another. So, then, Navy would have two open slots every year for their other various games scheduled.

NatureBoy
01-25-2012, 10:13 AM
More on BIG 12 EXPANSION.

Honus “The Dude” Sneed offers his opine on possible Big 12 expansion including his belief that Clemson and FSU are ready to jump as well as why ND isn’t so far fetched after all.

"We always keep our television partners close to us. ... TV -- ESPN -- is the one who told us what to do." – Gene DeFilippo

Boston College Athletic Director Gene DeFilippo recanted his statement but the cat was out of the bag. ESPN, angry the Big East had decided to take their television rights deal to the open market, directed the ACC to poach Syracuse and Pittsburgh from the conference and set off a chain of events they knew would reduce the market value of the Big East – both in football and basketball.

And they were right. TCU was the first to rethink their membership in the Big East and hitched their wagon to the Big 12.

West Virginia, the marquee football program in the Big East, was the next to move and again it was the Big 12 who reached out to snag the Mountaineers.

Four marquee teams (Pitt, Syracuse, WVU and TCU) gone within a span of a few months; another handful of teams (Louisville, Rutgers, UCONN and South Florida) desperately seeking any port from the storm and a conference tittering on the brink of collapse.

If you accept the fact that ESPN played a role in the dismantling of the Big East then it won’t be hard for you to accept that NBC/Comcast may play a role in the construction of the new Big 12 – one that just may well include Norte Dame.

Anonymous sources in Morgantown tell me the Big 12 will expand again soon and that both Clemson and Florida State are actively engaged in talks to leave the ACC and join the Mountaineers in a new Big 12 East division.

The reason? Money. Well money and the fault-line that divides ACC schools that value football more than basketball and the hoops lords on Tobacco Road that control the conference.

More than likely the Big 12 will travel down the same road as the Big East with one exception. They will be united and wait out the exclusive TV deal rights window with Fox and ESPN and see what NBC/Comcast is willing to pay.

And it’s the involvement of NBC/Comcast that may land Norte Dame in the Big 12. Don’t laugh too hard -- if we’ve learned anything from the ACC raid on the Big East it’s that TV suites pull the strings. NBC is desperate for sports programming, especially college football, and is reportedly willing to apply pressure on the Irish to play along.

As for the Irish it maybe a good deal. The lure of a strong football conference with Texas, Oklahoma, Florida State, West Virginia and Oklahoma State combined with the scheduling difficulties of an independent may make the Irish more willing to hear what the Big 12 has to say.

And if not there are other teams out there, with--dare I say--better football programs, who are willing to jump.

In the ACC Maryland, Georgia Tech and Boston College are willing to talk and in the Big East everyone left in the CUSA clone would make the move in a New York minute.

http://www.eerinsider.com/2012-articles/january/more-on-possible-big-12-expansion.html

JeffHCross
01-25-2012, 09:14 PM
It'll be really easy for them to keep Air Force and Navy playing since they could be cross conference protected rivals and always play one another.Air Force isn't Big East.

both Clemson and Florida State are actively engaged in talks to leave the ACC and join the Mountaineers in a new Big 12 East division.Fuck me, this is even more ridiculous.

SmoothPancakes
01-25-2012, 09:34 PM
Air Force isn't Big East.

Fuck me, this is even more ridiculous.

But there has been rumors of Air Force possibly joining sometime. If the Big East was able to get Navy to join, who has been an independent since forever, then they can talk Air Force into it, over time. I think this also spells the eventual death of the FBS Independents. Now that Navy has made the jump, I can see Army eventually following. BYU is probably also going to go back to a conference at some point, either returning to the Mountain West, or end up in Big 12, Big East or C-USA. And yes, even Notre Dame is going to eventually be forced to make the jump.

And agreed. All this time, I have considered the ACC, Big Ten, Pac-12 and SEC to be safe and not have any worries whatsoever. Clemson and Florida State both considering jumping, not only jumping from the ACC, but jumping to the Big 12, is just making my head spin now. As you said, this is getting just ridiculous as time goes on with these potential moves.

JeffHCross
01-25-2012, 10:00 PM
But there has been rumors of Air Force possibly joining sometime.Yeah, but even with Navy joining I just don't see it happening. That's a hell of a commute on an academy budget. Even if both Army and Navy go, I don't see Air Force joining the Big East, even to play with their "brothers".

SmoothPancakes
01-25-2012, 10:18 PM
Yeah, but even with Navy joining I just don't see it happening. That's a hell of a commute on an academy budget. Even if both Army and Navy go, I don't see Air Force joining the Big East, even to play with their "brothers".

Oh I agree. It'll take a hell of a lot by the Big East to talk Air Force into eventually joining, but over time, they could possibly do it. The fact they managed to get Navy to join (which was the closest thing to a permanent Independent team, besides Notre Dame), I think they could eventually find a way to talk Air Force into joining as well, even with the hell of a commute that Air Force would have. Plus, if they do like they did with Navy, and have it just be football only while all other Air Force sports remain in the Mountain West or elsewhere, it wouldn't be as bad on the budget.

morsdraconis
01-25-2012, 10:22 PM
Damn, for some reason, I was thinking Air Force was joining... Oh well. I don't care. The Big East is the least of my worries now.

JBHuskers
02-07-2012, 12:50 PM
Rumor has it that Memphis and the Big East are close to reaching a deal.

morsdraconis
02-07-2012, 01:41 PM
:smh:

Jesus Big East. Desperate much?

JeffHCross
02-07-2012, 08:39 PM
Worst team in college football to the Big Least! Whoo-hoooooo!

Boise State for Big Least champs! Whoo-hoooo!

Though, realistically, the fact that they're bringing them in for all sports means that the football team is not the focus. (Which was probably obvious)

morsdraconis
02-07-2012, 09:47 PM
Though, realistically, the fact that they're bringing them in for all sports means that the football team is not the focus. (Which was probably obvious)

That's the whole reason why WVU wants to get the fuck out. The Big East basketball only schools has the football schools by the balls because all the dumb ass commish cares about is catering to the shitty basketball schools who aren't even making the most money for the league, yet the football schools that are making the money for the school are getting fucked.

If (and it's a HUGE if because everything I've heard from non-media sources is it's all a bullshit waiting game and WVU WILL be in the Big 12) WVU doesn't get the fucked out of the Big East after this season, it's going to be an utter atrocity...

JeffHCross
02-07-2012, 10:15 PM

All I really meant is that they're not adding Memphis because of their atrocious football team.

JBHuskers
02-08-2012, 03:14 PM
McMurphy: Big East, West Virginia nearing $20 million settlement - http://bit.ly/WVUBigEast

jaymo76
02-11-2012, 02:09 PM
Did anything ever come of that CUSA-MWC merger talks?

morsdraconis
02-11-2012, 02:11 PM
Did anything ever come of that CUSA-MWC merger talks?

They're still discussing the possibility of merging but nothing concrete yet.

JeffHCross
02-12-2012, 10:32 AM
They're meeting today: http://www.lvrj.com/sports/mountain-west-conference-usa-to-discuss-merger-139035019.html

jaymo76
02-12-2012, 03:23 PM
Interesting read. As I see it, these conference have no choice but to merge. After that I would like to see the WAC and the MAC come together. Super conferences seems like only a matter of time and it seem as though within the next decade we could see some sort of conference leaders playoff.

JeffHCross
02-12-2012, 09:10 PM
WAC and MAC? I don't think that would ever happen, honestly. The MAC is one of the few "smaller" conferences that is relatively constrained, geographically. There's no travel incentive to them joining anyone else. But, MWC and C-USA, for example, actually have members that would benefit from the merge, geographically.

gschwendt
02-13-2012, 01:51 PM
MWC & CUSA to dissolve and form new conference (http://brett-mcmurphy.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/29532522/34822810)

cdj
02-14-2012, 08:10 AM
Reports are saying WVU will be in Big XII in 2012; Pitt & Syracuse to stay in Big East one more season and move to ACC in 2013.

morsdraconis
02-14-2012, 10:04 AM
WVU is absolutely in the Big 12 next year. They reached a $20 million buyout with the Big East to get the hell out over the weekend. It's a done deal (as anyone that's been following it close, knew it would be sooner or later).

JBHuskers
02-14-2012, 10:11 AM
Makes sense to have Pitt and Syracuse move when the Big East and MWC merge. Makes more sense to have West Virginia in the Big XII this year.

SmoothPancakes
02-14-2012, 01:47 PM
Sounds like Florida International, New Mexico State and Utah State all could be invited to join this big bad new C-USA/MWC mega conference.

gschwendt
02-15-2012, 01:42 PM
The Sun Belt is hiring Karl Benson as the new commissioner. Look for at a minimum for Louisiana Tech to join SBC, possibly more depending on what shakes down with the CUSA/MWC concerning UTSA, TSU, etc.

LTU would put SBC at 11 football teams so would assume at least one more added so long as the rest stay. If UTSA and TSU join, then look for either NMSU or maybe a move-up like Georgia Southern or Appalachian State.

JeffHCross
02-15-2012, 10:06 PM
Appalachian is looking at moving up.

SmoothPancakes
02-15-2012, 10:45 PM
Appalachian is looking at moving up.

What conference are they looking at?

baseballplyrmvp
02-15-2012, 11:15 PM
The Sun Belt is hiring Karl Benson as the new commissioner. Look for at a minimum for Louisiana Tech to join SBC, possibly more depending on what shakes down with the CUSA/MWC concerning UTSA, TSU, etc.

LTU would put SBC at 11 football teams so would assume at least one more added so long as the rest stay. If UTSA and TSU join, then look for either NMSU or maybe a move-up like Georgia Southern or Appalachian State.:fp:

karl benson was terrible as the wac commissioner. bad move for the sun belt.

SmoothPancakes
02-15-2012, 11:19 PM
The Sun Belt and WAC should just get the inevitable over with and merge conferences.

gschwendt
02-15-2012, 11:54 PM
:fp:

karl benson was terrible as the wac commissioner. bad move for the sun belt.
From the few things I've heard, he had good ideas but ultimately couldn't get but-in from the school presidents who ultimately are the ones that make the decisions.

We'll see how everything shakes out relatively soon I suppose.

gschwendt
02-15-2012, 11:57 PM
The Sun Belt and WAC should just get the inevitable over with and merge conferences.

No thank you... we only got rid of utah state and new mexico state a few years ago. Plus that would potentially put ASU in a western split. I'd rather not have yearly trips to San Jose and Las Cruces.

JeffHCross
02-16-2012, 08:41 PM
What conference are they looking at?There's been some insane talk, back when they announced that they were taking a look at moving up, from people that thought they could jump straight into a BCS conference (:smh:). I haven't heard anything remotely concrete. Honestly, I'd think that they'd go with anybody that would take them, but their board members have been quoted as saying that travel is a priority, which, I honestly think, outrules every conference in America now.

cdj
02-21-2012, 05:55 PM
Georgia State may be the next school to move up to the FBS ranks. (http://www.collegefootballzealots.com/2012-articles/february/georgia-state-moving-up-to-fbs.html)

morsdraconis
02-21-2012, 05:58 PM
Georgia State may be the next school to move up to the FBS ranks. (http://www.collegefootballzealots.com/2012-articles/february/georgia-state-moving-up-to-fbs.html)

Very interesting. Probably not until 2013 or 2014 though.

Surprised that a program that's just been around for a few years is even thinking about moving up though. Just tells you how much money there really is in FBS athletics.

JeffHCross
02-21-2012, 09:40 PM
Surprised that a program that's just been around for a few years is even thinking about moving up though.FAU.