PDA

View Full Version : Kotaku: A Walk-On Who Made the Team Wants You to Know What It Really Means

JBHuskers
05-14-2011, 04:45 PM
You can view the page at http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/forums/content.php?425-Kotaku-A-Walk-On-Who-Made-the-Team-Wants-You-to-Know-What-It-Really-Means

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/9/2011/05/stickauburnsplash.jpg

Check out this article by Kotaku's Owen Good about Road To Glory Designer Alex Howell; who was a walk-on at Auburn. Within this article, you will get a little preview of Road To Glory, and some proof that changes are on the way! Unfortunately, we cannot talk about Road To Glory yet, but as soon as we can, we will definitely go in-depth on some changes you will see this year.

Kotaku: A Walk-On Who Made the Team Wants You to Know What It Really Means (http://kotaku.com/5801945/a-walk+on-who-made-the-team-wants-you-to-know-what-it-really-means)

Alex Howell was the only freshman in the tunnel that Saturday, his chinstrap so tight it fused his jaw shut, 89,000 people packed into to the last row at Auburn's Jordan-Hare Stadium. Earlier in the week the graduate assistant tapped Howell on the shoulder and asked if he'd like to dress for the game against Mississippi State. Howell doesn't remember the exact words he said, other than it was an emphatic affirmative. So here he was.

Suddenly his teammates, much bigger, much faster than he, poured out ahead of him like water sweeping over a dam, pulling Howell in their wake. He sprinted after them, legs pumping, adrenaline surging, ears ringing, running into a deafening roar that was as much for him as it was for anyone in orange, blue and a white helmet that day.
Ten years after that moment, Howell is now a designer of a video game about college football. For him, priority No. 1 is imparting the sense of awe, good fortune, validation and chest-bursting pride he felt even in a game that, like every one for which he suited up at Auburn, ended without him playing a down.

"It is, literally, the experience I wish I could share with everyone," Howell says. "Now I have that opportunity."

Howell is the first dedicated designer assigned to NCAA Football's "Road to Glory" career mode, introduced in 2005 and fairly neglected for the past few years. Joining EA Sports less than a year ago, Howell's only job is to breathe new life into one of sports gaming's first singleplayer career modes.

Coy about specifics for now, it's pretty clear where Howell's emphasis lies in the mode's off-the-field components. It's the practice field, where Howell made himself most valuable to an Auburn program that went undefeated his senior season. In high school Howell was invited by then-coach Tommy Tuberville to join the team as a nonscholarship player. When he arrived on the Plains, he was converted - at the Rudy-esque dimensions of five-foot nothin', one-hundred and nothin' - to running back from wide receiver. No one plays Southeastern Conference football at that height and weight; they run plays on the scout team.

That doesn't mean coaches don't notice their work. And it doesn't mean they toil without reward.

"From coming on the team as a scrub, I knew that the harder I worked in practice, the harder I worked on the scout team, the more respect I would earn," Howell said, "and the coaching staff would then allow me to do more things. It's really easy to translate that experience of workouts, and practicing, to the video game, up to the point where it's you going through the tunnel with 89,000 screaming fans all around you."

Lots of the NCAA Football design team has exposure to college football beyond simply being big fans. Producer Ben Haumiller was himself recruited by programs such as Texas A&M, and also was invited to walk on at Florida State, but chose not to. Howell, with championship rings (including the one Tuberville made for the 2004 Tigers, infamously shut out of a BCS title shot) is a rarity in the Tiburon office.

"It's great to have that element on the team, of a guy who's actually gone through it," said Haumiller. "A lot of us here played high school ball but didn't step up to playing in college. He knows what it's like to earn time playing in practice. And he's a great game guy, a huge video game nerd."

Indeed, Howell describes himself as "the biggest JRPG nerd," throwing off a sports writer when he talks excitedly about Persona 3 and staying at a hotel whose bar is called "The Velvet Room." This job is not a sinecure for an ex-jock. Howell is a recent master's degree graduate of Florida Interactive Entertainment Academy, from whose top-rated game design program he emerged as something of a perfect candidate for this particular title.

"It had always been somebody's second or third responsibility," Howell said of NCAA's singleplayer career. "Until now, it never was someone's main focus.

"He's taking role-playing game elements and bringing them into Road to Glory," Haumiller said. "A lot of what you're trying to do in an RPG concerns trying to level up and build your character. Alex understands that as an RPG gamer, and he's trying to do that in a way that makes sense to a sports gamer. You don't want to throw them into something that's completely foreign."

Howell admits that he was one of those guys who, in the moments between all the work, the meetings and the games, was cataloging his experiences and thinking it all would make for a good book someday. His memoir, however, is a video game.

"People just don't understand how much of a business college football is," Howell said, and he wasn't referring to dollars, but the fact this is a singleminded job for the coaching staff, if not also some players. "These are people's careers, and if they don't win, they get fired.

"My first step, that I wanted to take, was in trying to translate the actual emotion of how well you do and how bad you do in the game," Howell said. Players will have more than their own advancement riding on a third-down pass or fourth-quarter fumble; it'll be a moment that has some implied pride or disappointment coming from the sidelines.

The rewards, of course, will be more substantial than putting on a uniform for a single game. Whatever they are, Howell hopes people will find them as meaningful, as hard-won, as simply running onto the field was for him 10 years ago.

Cipher 8
05-14-2011, 08:16 PM
"He's taking role-playing game elements and bringing them into Road to Glory," Haumiller said. "A lot of what you're trying to do in an RPG concerns trying to level up and build your character. Alex understands that as an RPG gamer, and he's trying to do that in a way that makes sense to a sports gamer. You don't want to throw them into something that's completely foreign."Now this has got me excited for Road to Glory. I always thought sports games had a little bit of RPG flavor in them, especially NCAA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxdpAcIcF7w&t=1m4s

Todd Howard discusses how sports games like NCAA is like a RPG sorta

JBHuskers
05-14-2011, 08:16 PM
Now this has got me excited for Road to Glory. I always thought sports games had a little bit of RPG flavor in them, especially NCAA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxdpAcIcF7w&t=1m4s

Todd Howard discusses how sports games like NCAA is like a RPG sorta

:nod:

Jayrah
05-14-2011, 09:11 PM
Good stuff. I know some players who will be really excited about this approach. I'm not much of a RTG guy, but I wanna see what this will be like.

cdj
05-14-2011, 11:27 PM
Meeting with Alex at the Community Event(s), he is a big football fan with expansive football knowledge while also being a big-time gamer and he has some ambitious goals for Road to Glory. I think those looking for some changes to the mode will be excited when concrete details are announced around E3.

I liked RTG on NCAA 10, but the lack of changes in 11 turned me off. NCAA 12 should get people back into trying and playing the mode.

JBHuskers
05-14-2011, 11:28 PM
Thanks to Souljahbill for sending me that article too!

SmoothPancakes
05-15-2011, 04:23 AM
Meeting with Alex at the Community Event(s), he is a big football fan with expansive football knowledge while also being a big-time gamer and he has some ambitious goals for Road to Glory. I think those looking for some changes to the mode will be excited when concrete details are announced around E3.

I liked RTG on NCAA 10, but the lack of changes in 11 turned me off. NCAA 12 should get people back into trying and playing the mode.

Sounds like I might have to actually give this a serious try this year. I have pretty much only played RTG at all just to get the achievements for it so I could 1k the NCAA Football games. But from the sounds of things, I might have to actually look into giving it a serious run. It also helps that playing My Player in NHL 11 and NBA 2K11 have both warmed me up to the mode. Between those, and the details released so far about Madden's Superstar, RTG could possibly become a contender for some of my time in NCAA 12.

souljahbill
05-15-2011, 07:37 AM
Thanks to Souljahbill for sending me that article too!
:up:

OSUCowboyofMD
05-15-2011, 12:01 PM
It would be awesome if it actually showed you and your team in the locker room and your coach giving a pregame speech then you running out of the tunnel then maybe even in the huddle....even though some of that will never happen :rolleyes:

jaymo76
05-15-2011, 01:40 PM
pass... but have fun for those of you who like RTG

JeffHCross
05-15-2011, 01:48 PM
pass... but have fun for those of you who like RTGThey've barely announced anything. How can you pass already? :D

HuskerBlitz
05-15-2011, 01:52 PM
Meh...I can. It's a feature that has never meant much to me either.

jaymo76
05-15-2011, 03:09 PM
They've barely announced anything. How can you pass already? :D

Those modes just don't appeal to me. Same thing as something like coach mode. I like the full immersion rather than one specific component.

OSUCowboyofMD
05-15-2011, 03:36 PM
Those modes just don't appeal to me. Same thing as something like coach mode. I like the full immersion rather than one specific component.
:rolleyes:

WolverineJay
05-15-2011, 04:40 PM
pass... but have fun for those of you who like RTG
I totally agree. I will never play this ever just not interested at all and since I will own it that's my prerogative, lol.

Coach Mode is a possible try for me and that's only if I can find the time to try it out. However, I am 99% sure I will not have the time to play NCAA 12 any more than I did for NCAA 11 so I will probably pass on coach mode as well.

JeffHCross
05-15-2011, 05:39 PM
Those modes just don't appeal to me. Same thing as something like coach mode. I like the full immersion rather than one specific component.Fair enough. Couldn't tell if it was because of lack of interest in the mode or because of something you'd read in that article.

ram29jackson
05-15-2011, 09:55 PM
it would more fun if they made it like a Dynasty where more than go around, you could name and make another player for another 4 years and so on and maybe break your own records or be the next player at another school

JBHuskers
05-15-2011, 10:33 PM
For me, it would be something to do while rosters were being done. But I am very excited for the changes that have happened and have been long overdue for this mode.

cmoney7463
05-16-2011, 05:13 PM
with a story like that it sounds like this is going to be the real deal. I hope you can run out of the tunnel before games in RTG, it will pump me up for sure :)

morsdraconis
05-16-2011, 07:28 PM
Finally got around to reading that article. Man, if they can truly bring some of that emotion into the RTG feature, it will rival 2k's My Player mode. Let's hope cause I really do enjoy those aspects of the game if they're done correctly.

OSUCowboyofMD
05-16-2011, 08:07 PM
Finally got around to reading that article. Man, if they can truly bring some of that emotion into the RTG feature, it will rival 2k's My Player mode. Let's hope cause I really do enjoy those aspects of the game if they're done correctly.

True :nod:

JBHuskers
05-16-2011, 08:12 PM
I figure something has to come out soon after the ESPN article mentioned changes were coming. But maybe they're sticking to their E3 plan for that. Which in itself is only three weeks away.

Daywalker86
05-18-2011, 09:00 AM
I have to admit I've always thought the Road to Glory and Superstar modes have tons of potential...this guy might be able to tap it.
I'm feeling pretty intrigued about what details are going to turn up.
I'd like to have a lot more custom commentary relating to what's going on in the season....actually I'd like that in Dynasty just as much.

illwill10
05-18-2011, 09:58 AM
I figure something has to come out soon after the ESPN article mentioned changes were coming. But maybe they're sticking to their E3 plan for that. Which in itself is only three weeks away.
Yea. They might come out with a preview blog of RTG like IGN did with SS. Dynasty embargo lifts 5/23. I dont think the RTG embargo's lifts on 5/23, most likely around June 6-13. So, there definitely wont be full blog before E3. IMO

JBHuskers
05-18-2011, 10:46 AM
5/23 is going to be a fun day around here :nod:

DariusLock
05-18-2011, 11:07 AM
We need girlfriends back, our player needs to catch the flu and have to play through it one game, and we need to be able to go out and party and dance to increase our campus reputation lol.

JBHuskers
05-18-2011, 11:09 AM
We need girlfriends back, our player needs to catch the flu and have to play through it one game, and we need to be able to go out and party and dance to increase our campus reputation lol.

Yeah that was hilarious the better you were, the hotter the girlfriend :D

Solidice
05-18-2011, 11:59 AM

and if your at BYU, you need to be kicked off for being "too close" to your girlfriend. :D

JBHuskers
05-18-2011, 12:55 PM
and if your at BYU, you need to be kicked off for being "too close" to your girlfriend. :D

or at BYU there are four women in your frame :D

Tarhead10
05-18-2011, 01:38 PM
or at BYU there are four women in your frame :D

Nice.....:D