PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Football 12: Custom Playbooks

JBHuskers
05-09-2011, 12:47 PM
You can view the page at http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/forums/content.php?419-NCAA-Football-12-Custom-Playbooks

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5189/5669044124_8350fbe71b_z.jpg

Total plays - The max number is 377, but it varies between 370-377 based on the teams base playbook.
Playbooks - 15 on offense 15 on defense
40 formations total
Can be used in Online Dynasty and ranked/unranked online games
Goalline and Special teams are in each playbook
The max number of formations will depend on the playbook

SmoothPancakes
05-09-2011, 12:51 PM
Woo!

What kind of limits are there when creating playbooks? Certain number allowed of plays, formations, etc?

Daywalker86
05-09-2011, 12:52 PM
Wow this has been a looong time coming. :D

How many formation sets are we allowed to utilize in a custom playbook?

gschwendt
05-09-2011, 12:53 PM
Let me say the obvious first... the footage we saw from the video was from the game. However, it was a bit dated... you can lookup some of the games that come across the bottom ticker to get an idea. As well, they are from two different dates, one from early March and I believe the other from early April.

That said, here are some of the facts, you can create as many as 15 offensive AND 15 defensive playbooks (though that number was just tossed out but the limit should be relatively high). You can have as many as 40 formations in your playbook with 377 total plays... goalline & special teams come with every playbook (can't remove), I think that's where the 377 comes from (ie 400-23 goalline/special teams plays). You start by choosing a base playbook, and then add and remove to your hearts extent from there. Any/all plays are available to pick from... I believe hidden formations (ex. Emory & Henry) come as a separate formation but not 100% on that.

What did I miss?

Kwizzy & I both spent quite a bit of time with this feature so we should be able to answer just about all of your questions.

JBHuskers
05-09-2011, 12:54 PM
Woo!

What kind of limits are there when creating playbooks? Certain number allowed of plays, formations, etc?

Wow this has been a looong time coming. :D

How many formation sets are we allowed to utilize in a custom playbook?

As this photo suggests....

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5142/5669046100_382dea528c_z.jpg

Up to 40 formations, and up to a total of 400 plays. I believe the maximum total playbooks (offense and defense) you can have is 15 each. But I need confirmation on that to make it a 100% fact.

JBHuskers
05-09-2011, 12:55 PM
Let me say the obvious first... the footage we saw from the video was from the game. However, it was a bit dated... you can lookup some of the games that come across the bottom ticker to get an idea. As well, they are from two different dates, one from early March and I believe the other from early April.

That said, here are some of the facts, you can create as many as 15 offensive AND 15 defensive playbooks (though that number was just tossed out but the limit should be relatively high). You can have as many as 40 formations in your playbook with 377 total plays... goalline & special teams come with every playbook (can't remove), I think that's where the 377 comes from (ie 400-23 goalline/special teams plays). You start by choosing a base playbook, and then add and remove to your hearts extent from there. Any/all plays are available to pick from... I believe hidden formations (ex. Emory & Henry) come as a separate formation but not 100% on that.

What did I miss?

Kwizzy & I both spent quite a bit of time with this feature so we should be able to answer just about all of your questions.

Off the top of my head, If an audible is in the formation, you can't uncheck that formation.

gschwendt
05-09-2011, 12:56 PM
Off the top of my head, If an audible is in the formation, you can't uncheck that formation.
Correct, UNTIL you change your audibles to not include that formation or play.

JBHuskers
05-09-2011, 12:57 PM
To easily remove plays and start from scratch (minus the goalline, hail mary, and formations that have audibles in them), you can for each set (Ace, Shotgun, etc.) hit :360y: or :ps3tri: to completely clear the formations under that set you're currently on.

gschwendt
05-09-2011, 12:59 PM
To sum up my thoughts on it, from everything I saw and tested, they pretty much nailed everything I would have asked for in a Custom Playbooks integration.

Oneback
05-09-2011, 01:01 PM
I'll throw this out there because I know it will be asked. Are the custom playbooks available online/OD?

gschwendt
05-09-2011, 01:01 PM
I'll throw this out there because I know it will be asked. Are the custom playbooks available online/OD?
Yes.

JBHuskers
05-09-2011, 01:02 PM

YES!

:)):clap::)):clap::)):clap:

steelerfan
05-09-2011, 01:06 PM
I did not get into CP much, but I know they are done really well.

Can those who did get into them explain the parameters for the defensive books?

JBHuskers
05-09-2011, 01:08 PM
Also, I found this to be pretty handy, but your Custom Playbooks will show up after the Z's and before the A's in the order at the team selection screen. I think this is handier than alphabetical order because it will group all of your custom playbooks back-to-back so you can easily go from one to the other (when you have defaulted one of your custom playbooks as your default playbook).

souljahbill
05-09-2011, 01:09 PM
Will there be a video for this announcement shown anytime soon?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JBHuskers
05-09-2011, 01:10 PM
Will there be a video for this announcement shown anytime soon?

Not 100% sure yet.

gschwendt
05-09-2011, 01:11 PM
I did not get into CP much, but I know they are done really well.

Can those who did get into them explain the parameters for the defensive books?
Kwizzy spent more time with the defensive side than I did... any specific questions or subjects you're looking for?

Sinister
05-09-2011, 01:15 PM
Will the playbook you create stick to your profile so no matter what team you play with the playbook will stay or will it go with the team and teams will have mulitple playbooks. For instance lets say my TB uses oklahoma's playbook for base, but I go in and add plays will it be my new user playbook for my TB or will have an option between my base and my Custom playbook

steelerfan
05-09-2011, 01:16 PM
Kwizzy spent more time with the defensive side than I did... any specific questions or subjects you're looking for?

Not really. I guess the #s of sets/plays per set etc. I plan to mess with it all next week. I just know it'd be easy for the community to only focus on offense when asking questions and figured I'd open the door for the other side of the ball. :)

Paakaa10
05-09-2011, 01:17 PM
As somebody who never used Custom Playbooks when they were present in earlier NCAA Football titles, I must say that the system is very user-friendly in terms of pointing you in the right direction to make a good Custom Playbook of your own.

One thing that hasn't really been touched upon here yet but is present in some of the leaked video captures is that you can choose how the plays will be shown in your playbook in-game; NCAA Football 12 is returning to the "3 plays at a time" display where you use :ps3sq::ps3x::ps3tri: on PS3 or :360x::360a::360y: on 360 to select your play from the three displayed, and within the Custom Playbooks you can set up how each "line" of plays is put together so that you avoid having, for example, three running plays or three passing plays on your screen at the same time. It's a nice little touch and also can allow you to put plays that have similar looks to them on the same "line" so that your opponent--if you're on the same console--has a lot of options to think about when they're trying to prepare for your play.

And if you're like me and like to use "Ask Coach" to get through games faster at times, rest assured that having a Custom Playbook doesn't change anything with regard to that functionality.

JBHuskers
Will the playbook you create stick to your profile so no matter what team you play with the playbook will stay or will it go with the team and teams will have mulitple playbooks. For instance lets say my TB uses oklahoma's playbook for base, but I go in and add plays will it be my new user playbook for my TB or will have an option between my base and my Custom playbook

Yes you can tweak a base playbook like Oklahoma and save it as your own.

gschwendt
It will be tied to your profile/console... just like now when you select your playbook (either at the game setup screen or in your dynasty coach's profile), it will just be one of the available options in that list.

That does make me think of one negative... unfortunately there won't be any easy way to share custom playbooks. I'm not sure if you will be able to transfer save files or something between consoles or not but there is no dedicated online sharing like rosters has.

Paakaa10
05-09-2011, 01:20 PM

I believe the answer here is that any Custom Playbooks you create will be available to you under that profile when you play. Each team--be it a school on the disc or a TeamBuilder squad--will have their "default" playbook or you can just run with your CP. And, of course, if you want to use another school's on-disc playbook with a different team, you can do that as before.

EDIT: Wonder if JB, Tommy and I just set a new record for answering a single question with three different responses.

Sinister
05-09-2011, 01:29 PM
thanks guys, great addition. Also on defense did you think having a custom playbook was beneficial. it always seems to me on defense all the plays were the same just different names.

Paakaa10
05-09-2011, 01:32 PM
thanks guys, great addition. Also on defense did you think having a custom playbook was beneficial. it always seems to me on defense all the plays were the same just different names.

I used to feel similar to that about defense, but as you go through the Custom Playbooks I think you'll notice a lot more differences between the plays, even within similar formations. To me, it's definitely a potential learning tool to use and gain a better understanding of what each formation and each play is trying to accomplish on the field. And with CP in the game, you can mess around a lot in practice mode until you find formations and plays you're comfortable with and then quickly go into your playbook and make sure the plays you like are in there.

gschwendt
05-09-2011, 01:36 PM
Between Custom Playbooks and also a bunch of added plays this year on defense, it should provide considerably more variety.

JBHuskers
05-09-2011, 01:36 PM

For me, I might like a base defense, but may want to add some of the new 4-2-5 plays into the mix, so that's where I will find it to be beneficial to me.

One of the cool features in Custom Playbooks is the ability to reorder the plays within that formation. The interface and process of doing so were very well done. So if you want your favorite three plays right there when you enter the formation when calling a play...you can.

morsdraconis
05-09-2011, 01:41 PM
Can you change formation audibles?

JBHuskers
05-09-2011, 01:47 PM

I don't believe so.

CLW
05-09-2011, 01:47 PM
My previous questions from the leaked video:

#1 Can we use our custom offensive and defensive playbooks online AND in online dynasties?

Looks like the answer is YES. :up:

#2 How many formations/plays are we limited to for custom offensive/defensive playbooks?

Is the 40/400 # for both offensive and defensive playbooks? :up:

#3 How many custom playbooks can we create?

15 Offensive and 15 Defensive playbooks should keep my multiple personalities in check. :up:

#4 If you chose a specific team's formation do the package options from that formation automatically come to your custom playbook?

Unanswered?

#5 - If we bring over both linked plays from one playboook/formation will they still be linked as plays that set each other up in our Custom playbook?

Unanswered?

JBHuskers
05-09-2011, 01:53 PM
Updated the first post with these official numbers straight from EA:

Total plays- The max number is 377, but it varies between 370-377 based on the teams base playbook.

Playbooks- 15 on offense 15 on defense

40 formations total

Can be used in Online Dynasty and ranked/unranked online games

Goalline and Special teams are in each playbook

psuexv
05-09-2011, 01:53 PM
NCAA Football 12 is returning to the "3 plays at a time" display

I know this isn't about the playbooks or a big deal but -:nod::clap::)):up::up::up::up:

Are you guys allowed to talk about this? Is it going to be 3 plays displayed or 6(3 on top 3 on the bottom)

JBHuskers
05-09-2011, 01:54 PM
I know this isn't about the playbooks or a big deal but -:nod::clap::)):up::up::up::up:

Are you guys allowed to talk about this? Is it going to be 3 plays displayed or 6(3 on top 3 on the bottom)

Yeah I guess I didn't realize that was public yet :D

3 plays displayed.

georgiafan
05-09-2011, 01:54 PM
I assume we can use this for team builder?

JBHuskers
05-09-2011, 01:55 PM
More info: The max number of formations will depend on the playbook.

JBHuskers
05-09-2011, 01:56 PM
I assume we can use this for team builder?

:nod:

Paakaa10
05-09-2011, 01:56 PM

It's in both "Play Now" and Custom Playbooks, so I don't think there should be any issue.

The playcall screen essentially looks the same as in NCAA Football 11 except instead of scrolling horizontally, you have 3 plays on-screen and press up or down to see more plays.

psuexv
05-09-2011, 02:00 PM
It's in both "Play Now" and Custom Playbooks, so I don't think there should be any issue.

The playcall screen essentially looks the same as in NCAA Football 11 except instead of scrolling horizontally, you have 3 plays on-screen and press up or down to see more plays.

Awesome - all I know is that NCAA '11 was terrible for scrolling through plays.

If I remember correctly I think 10 had 6 plays/screen and then depending which row your "cursor" was on you could select any of the plays based on a specified button.

'11 made it extremely difficult especially in user vs user games. I think the scrolling up and down will help but they really need to go back to 6 plays/screen IMO

gschwendt
05-09-2011, 02:03 PM
Is the 40/400 # for both offensive and defensive playbooks? :up:
Just got clarification that both the Formation count and the Play count is all dependent on what base playbook you start with. Kwizzy will be able to better answer that in regards to defensive playbooks.

#4 If you chose a specific team's formation do the package options from that formation automatically come to your custom playbook?
By this do you mean package subs or formation subs? Package subs should be yes (meaning you'll still have all of the same package subs that you have now), formation subs I believe is no but I'm not positive on that one.

#5 - If we bring over both linked plays from one playboook/formation will they still be linked as plays that set each other up in our Custom playbook?
Yes. You will still be able to used the linked plays, obviously so long as both plays are in that formation.

psuexv
05-09-2011, 02:03 PM
Any limitations to how many plays per formation you have to choose... low end and high end?

JBHuskers
05-09-2011, 02:04 PM
Awesome - all I know is that NCAA '11 was terrible for scrolling through plays.

If it wasn't for our early feedback last year, it would have been a lot worse. Thankfully a good amount of our suggestions and changes were put in for the playcall last year.

This year, it's much better, it'll just take you a little time to adjust.

morsdraconis
05-09-2011, 02:05 PM
I don't believe so.

Then it's really not a custom playbook then is it? You still have to use the plays that are scripted for the formation, even if they aren't in your playbook.

JBHuskers
05-09-2011, 02:05 PM
Any limitations to how many plays per formation you have to choose... low end and high end?

By default, when you add a formation, you will have all of the plays under that formation checked. From there, you can go in and take out or reorder plays.

psuexv
05-09-2011, 02:07 PM
If it wasn't for our early feedback last year, it would have been a lot worse. Thankfully a good amount of our suggestions and changes were put in for the playcall last year.

This year, it's much better, it'll just take you a little time to adjust.

Nice work guys

BTW - can we get a pat myself on the back emoticon for JB :D :D

JBHuskers
05-09-2011, 02:07 PM
Nice work guys

BTW - can we get a pat myself on the back emoticon for JB :D :D

I'll look for one, maybe :P I didn't say MY feedback, I said OURS :P

psuexv
05-09-2011, 02:08 PM
By default, when you add a formation, you will have all of the plays under that formation checked. From there, you can go in and take out or reorder plays.

So if I only like one play under Ace Spread Flex, I can have only one play under that formation?

psuexv
05-09-2011, 02:09 PM
From there, you can go in and take out or reorder plays.

I must have missed this somewhere but reordering the plays is a very nice feature

champ195797
05-09-2011, 02:10 PM
Does formation subs work with this

gschwendt
05-09-2011, 02:10 PM
The lowest you can have is 1 play. The highest you can have is all of the plays available in that formation.

Then it's really not a custom playbook then is it? You still have to use the plays that are scripted for the formation, even if they aren't in your playbook.
I'm working on getting clarification as to what happens when you add/remove plays that are formation audibles. As well, if you only have four plays in that formation, what happens to the audibles? I'll let you know what kind of response I get.

I OU a Beatn
05-09-2011, 02:11 PM
At least they had enough sense to make them available online as well. Really sweet addition and one I've been waiting for for years. Nice job, EA.

gschwendt
05-09-2011, 02:11 PM
Does formation subs work with this
Yes

JBHuskers
05-09-2011, 02:17 PM
I must have missed this somewhere but reordering the plays is a very nice feature

Yep basically you press and hold down :360a: or :ps3x: and then arrow up, down, left, or right as your pressing down :360a: or :ps3x: to re-order the plays as you wish.

gschwendt
05-09-2011, 02:19 PM
You can see it in action here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXWCMne_8us&feature=player_detailpage#t=192s

CLW
05-09-2011, 02:21 PM
Just got clarification that both the Formation count and the Play count is all dependent on what base playbook you start with. Kwizzy will be able to better answer that in regards to defensive playbooks.

By this do you mean package subs or formation subs? Package subs should be yes (meaning you'll still have all of the same package subs that you have now), formation subs I believe is no but I'm not positive on that one.

Yes. You will still be able to used the linked plays, obviously so long as both plays are in that formation.

Actually I didn't even think about formation subs. That's a little "odd" that you wouldn't be able to use formation subs after you created a custom playbook.

I was simply referring to the packages where you can go "big" in ace bunch for example (I cannot recall the exact terminology) or in some cases a HB or CB package for the 5th WR in 5 wide sets.

JBHuskers
05-09-2011, 02:21 PM
So if I only like one play under Ace Spread Flex, I can have only one play under that formation?

Yep!

gschwendt
05-09-2011, 02:23 PM
Actually I didn't even think about formation subs. That's a little "odd" that you wouldn't be able to use formation subs after you created a custom playbook.
Sorry, I misunderstood what you were asking. Yes, you can certianly use formation subs. I thought you were asking was if you customized your formation subs for the default Duke playbook, then created a new playbook based off of Duke, would it carry over your formation subs that you made to the default. The answer to that is no. BUT, yes you can certain use formation subs with your custom playbook.

Solidice
05-09-2011, 02:24 PM
I know the goal line formation is locked, but can you choose which goal line formation to use? in NCAA 11 there were about 2 or 3 different goal line formations(tight, normal, power I, etc..).

gschwendt
05-09-2011, 02:25 PM
I know the goal line formation is locked, but can you choose which goal line formation to use? in NCAA 11 there were about 2 or 3 different goal line formations(tight, normal, power I, etc..).
No. The only way to choose which goalline formation you wish to use would be to start with that team's base playbook (ie start with Florida to get the Wishbone goalline).

CLW
05-09-2011, 02:25 PM
Sorry, I misunderstood what you were asking. Yes, you can certianly use formation subs. I thought you were asking was if you customized your formation subs for the default Duke playbook, then created a new playbook based off of Duke, would it carry over your formation subs that you made to the default. The answer to that is no. BUT, yes you can certain use formation subs with your custom playbook.

O.K. we are on the same page now.

Just to make sure:

If I take Duke's playbook and they have Ace Bunch with a "Big" Package (that puts a 2nd TE and I think FB) in instead of WR in the bunch that "Package" will also be available to me in my Custom Playbook?

gschwendt
05-09-2011, 02:26 PM
If I take Duke's playbook and they have Ace Bunch with a "Big" Package (that puts a 2nd TE and I think FB) in instead of WR in the bunch that "Package" will also be available to me in my Custom Playbook?
Yes, the package subs are universal to that formation so those will carry over when you add that formation to your playbook.

CLW
05-09-2011, 02:27 PM

No. The only way to choose which goalline formation you wish to use would be to start with that team's base playbook (ie start with Florida to get the Wishbone goalline).

So the answer is actually Yes. Just make sure to pick the team's Base playbook with the goalline formation you want. The way I understand it you could then delete the rest of the entire playbook and insert an entirely different playbook and still keep the "special" goalline formation.

gschwendt
05-09-2011, 02:29 PM
So the answer is actually Yes. Just make sure to pick the team's Base playbook with the goalline formation you want. The way I understand it you could then delete the rest of the entire playbook and insert an entirely different playbook and still keep the "special" goalline formation.
You are correct... you just can't modify the goalline further once you're inside customizing that playbook.

Solidice
05-09-2011, 02:31 PM

I see. I assume that also means the "style" that the base playbook you chose will be your custom playbook's style as well.

does that also mean that some of the mostly style specific plays will be locked to only those specific base style playbooks? for example, Air Raid playbooks tend to have more Mesh, Shallow crosses, stick, etc. plays, while other playbooks did not have them(not as many at least) despite having the exact formation. I hope that made sense.

gschwendt
05-09-2011, 02:34 PM
I see. I assume that also means the "style" that the base playbook you chose will be your custom playbook's style as well.

does that also mean that some of the mostly style specific plays will be locked to only those specific base style playbooks? for example, Air Raid playbooks tend to have more Mesh, Shallow crosses, stick, etc. plays, while other playbooks did not have them(not as many at least) despite having the exact formation. I hope that made sense.
Regarding the style definition, it's been too long and been too many different versions that we've seen but if I remember correctly, you can define the playbooks "style" but I could be misremembering that.

As for specific plays, no, you're not locked to specific plays/formations based on your style. If you so wanted, you could have a Flexbone playbook with every 5WR formation added on. EA wanted to give the user complete control over their destiny regarding this feature... any limitations they wanted them to be ones you put on yourself (or your OD commissioner puts on you).

CLW
05-09-2011, 02:37 PM
Regarding the style definition, it's been too long and been too many different versions that we've seen but if I remember correctly, you can define the playbooks "style" but I could be misremembering that.

As for specific plays, no, you're not locked to specific plays/formations based on your style. If you so wanted, you could have a Flexbone playbook with every 5WR formation added on. EA wanted to give the user complete control over their destiny regarding this feature... any limitations they wanted them to be ones you put on yourself (or your OD commissioner puts on you).

That was Andy Petite's problem always "misremembering" those key items. :nod:

Solidice
05-09-2011, 02:41 PM

well style name is not really the concern. I guess just as long as all plays are available to all styles, it'll be fine. this way all you would have to do is choose the base playbook that has the goal line formation/plays you want(I don't think special teams is different for anyone), then edit away.

what about the Hail Mary formation? I assume that is also locked/universal as well? It's only like 4 plays I think.

gschwendt
05-09-2011, 02:44 PM
what about the Hail Mary formation? I assume that is also locked/universal? It's only like 4 plays I think.
Actually, the Hail Mary formation was separate formation listed in the Shotgun listing so you have the option to include it or not include it.

Kwizzy
05-09-2011, 02:47 PM
I'm sorry I haven't been able to answer any questions lately guys, been pretty busy at work & travelling on weekends. I will try to get on here and post a longer bit about my custom playbooks impressions and answer any questions I can later tonight when I get home. Long story short though, I think everyone will be very satisfied with the implementation of CPBs. Very user friendly & adaptable.

steelerfan
05-09-2011, 02:57 PM
That was Andy Petite's problem always "misremembering" those key items. :nod:

That was actually good for Pettitte. :nod:

illwill10
05-09-2011, 03:00 PM
Since we able to create playbooks for Teambuilders, are we able to create them on the Teambuilder website.

WolverineJay
05-09-2011, 03:00 PM
This is exactly what I was hoping for in terms of a custom playbook without a play editor(create-a-play feature). I think this will add a ton to the re-play value of NCAA 12. I will love the ability to have a few 3-4, 3-3-5, and 4-2-5 formations in my 4-3 playbook which will make my defense more rounded to handle my opponent no matter what playstyle they choose to use.

gschwendt
05-09-2011, 03:01 PM
Since we able to create playbooks for Teambuilders, are we able to create them on the Teambuilder website.
No... it's all done within the game itself. Whenever you create your team on TeamBuilder, you'll just have to set any default playbook, but then once you bring them into the game, you would be able to use your custom playbook with that team.

gschwendt
05-09-2011, 03:04 PM

I'm working on getting clarification as to what happens when you add/remove plays that are formation audibles. As well, if you only have four plays in that formation, what happens to the audibles? I'll let you know what kind of response I get.
I did get a reply, however they are in the middle of correcting a bug regarding formation audibles so since the answer has a possibility of changing, they're going to wait until they can give me a concrete answer, hopefully sometime this week.

JBHuskers
05-09-2011, 03:05 PM
I did get a reply, however they are in the middle of correcting a bug regarding formation audibles so since the answer has a possibility of changing, they're going to wait until they can give me a concrete answer, hopefully sometime this week.

Good deal...as far as I knew I didn't think it was in the works so that is great news.

psuexv
05-09-2011, 03:06 PM
Can you change the formation audibles now, in '11?

gschwendt
05-09-2011, 03:10 PM
Can you change the formation audibles now, in '11?
No.

oweb26
05-09-2011, 03:18 PM
So if the number of plays change depending on your base Playbook would it not make sense to just edit a Playbook with the most plays? Or am I missing something

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

gschwendt
05-09-2011, 03:21 PM
So if the number of plays change depending on your base Playbook would it not make sense to just edit a Playbook with the most plays? Or am I missing something
I think the variation in the number of plays is due to which goalline set is included in the base playbook. For example, if Florida's Wishbone Goalline includes 17 plays whereas the default includes 12 (play count is by no means intended as factual), that's where the variation will pop up. So, it will just depend on what goalline formation you want to use.

psuexv
05-09-2011, 03:37 PM
No.

I didn't think so... So this could be a huge new feature. :nod:

Kind of along the same lines as this, does anyone remember this feature. I remember it from my original Xbox and NCAA '08. When I was scrolling through the playbook I used to be able to pull both trigger and say the Y button, then when I went to the line that was my Y audible.

Not sure if this was ever available on the PS3 but it made audibles very nice. I know they have the formation specific ones, which this kind of was but made them customizable during the game.

georgiafan
05-09-2011, 03:40 PM
I know EA has diffrent teams that work on diffrent things which department is responsbile for working on custom playbooks?

The 40 formations/ 377 plays is that just for offense? or is it offense and defense?

JBHuskers
05-09-2011, 03:43 PM
I know EA has diffrent teams that work on diffrent things which department is responsbile for working on custom playbooks?

The 40 formations/ 377 plays is that just for offense? or is it offense and defense?

That's just on the offensive side of the ball. I can't remember if the defensive numbers are the same or not...I would have to go through my notes at home unless someone knows off the top of their head.

oweb26
05-09-2011, 03:44 PM
Makes perfect sense so find the Playbook with the least amount of goalline and go from there. I coach my team to score from outside the 20 anyway. Lol

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

georgiafan
05-09-2011, 03:45 PM
That's just on the offensive side of the ball. I can't remember if the defensive numbers are the same or not...I would have to go through my notes at home unless someone knows off the top of their head.

good deal I thought so just wanted to double check I don't really care about defense custom playbooks as I only run a handful of plays on defense anyway.

gschwendt
05-09-2011, 03:49 PM
As a broad statement, there are three basic teams, Gameplay, Presentation, & Features/Dynasty. There are devs & producers for each and then at the top of the pyramid is Roy who oversees it all. Russ & Ben would fall mostly under the Features/Dynasty area; Jean, Greg & Adam would fall mostly under Presentation; Scantlebury & Larry fall mostly under Gameplay. Obviously there is some overlap with each of them but that's the basic layout. As well there are plenty of other behind the scenes guys but those are the ones that seem to have made a presence in the community.

Kwizzy should be able to answer that tonight but I'm thinking that applies to defense as well.

psuexv
05-09-2011, 03:51 PM
Kwizzy should be able to answer that tonight but I'm thinking that applies to defense as well.

It almost has to be offense and defense, 40 formations on just offense seems really high.

gschwendt
05-09-2011, 03:54 PM
It almost has to be offense and defense, 40 formations on just offense seems really high.
No... I'm positive that you can have up to 40 formations for offense. The count for each is completely separate... not a limitation like "27 offensive, 13 defensive" or anything like that.

JBHuskers
05-09-2011, 03:58 PM
Yeah an offensive playbook is a separate file from your defensive playbook. So you can definitely have up to 40 different formations on offense.

psuexv
05-09-2011, 04:00 PM
No... I'm positive that you can have up to 40 formations for offense. The count for each is completely separate... not a limitation like "27 offensive, 13 defensive" or anything like that.

I don't know, 40 seems really high for offense. I'm sitting here trying to go through the playbook that I use all the time and I'm only coming up with about 15 or 16 formations, not including special teams and goaline. Unless they've really bulked up the size of the playbooks, but 40 could be overwhelming.

psusnoop
05-09-2011, 04:02 PM
Wow just getting one to read through this as I was slammed today. Im sure I'll have some questions after I get time to sift through here though.

Very nice, I'm going to enjoy breaking this down in the game. Hours will be lost playing with this feature for sure.

gschwendt
05-09-2011, 04:02 PM
I don't know, 40 seems really high for offense. I'm sitting here trying to go through the playbook that I use all the time and I'm only coming up with about 15 or 16 formations, not including special teams and goaline. Unless they've really bulked up the size of the playbooks, but 40 could be overwhelming.
I believe the largest playbooks from NCAA12 had 23 formations, however that doesn't count hidden formations (like Emory & Henry). As well, you now have the option of having formations with just one or two plays in it if you desire so you may have 40 formations that each only have a handful of plays. Whatever suits your needs.

psusnoop
05-09-2011, 04:03 PM

i can't now bit go into your google docs if u saved it, Gschwendt had the formations for each team there.

psusnoop
05-09-2011, 04:04 PM
I believe the largest playbooks from NCAA12 had 23 formations, however that doesn't count hidden formations (like Emory & Henry). As well, you now have the option of having formations with just one or two plays in it if you desire so you may have 40 formations that each only have a handful of plays. Whatever suits your needs.

Ok that makes sense, now I grasp that part. Thanks

smace767
05-09-2011, 04:12 PM
I thought 40 was really high as well so i had the spread sheet open and i counted 209 offense formations. This includes all the different goaline formations accept goaline wishbone, which was not in my version of the spread sheet for some reason.

My concern was someone creating a situation where you would have to defend every formation in the game. With some new additions, 40 formations still will only be less than 20% of all available offensive formations.

razorback44
05-09-2011, 04:15 PM
You could use 40 formations but you wouldn't have 20 plays per formation like you do now with most of the current formations. You would basically be sacrificing a variety of plays in a smaller # of formations for a smaller # of plays in a large variety of formations.

Basically it just lets you expand on the whole "showing more looks" idea that is becoming popular at the college level these days.

gschwendt
05-09-2011, 04:16 PM
This includes all the different goaline formations accept goaline wishbone, which was not in my version of the spread sheet for some reason.
I think it's called Goalline Tight (or something like that) as a reference to Wishbone Tight formation (which is essentially the same thing).

BTW, along those lines, you could always create a playbook with the Goalline Normal formation and then add in the Maryland I and/or Wishbone Tight to achieve the other various goalline formations.

morsdraconis
05-09-2011, 04:19 PM

Thanks G. Really disappointed if the formation audibles are set in stone since 95% of them are the same across almost all of the formations.

smace767
05-09-2011, 04:21 PM
I think it's called Goalline Tight (or something like that) as a reference to Wishbone Tight formation (which is essentially the same thing).

BTW, along those lines, you could always create a playbook with the Goalline Normal formation and then add in the Maryland I and/or Wishbone Tight to achieve the other various goalline formations.

i thought it was called goaline tight but its been a while, but Florida is listed as running a regular goaline formation on my spread sheet and Army, Navy, GTech and Miss St are the only teams listed using goaline tight.

morsdraconis
05-09-2011, 04:21 PM

Thanks. Hopefully they made it were you can change them. So many of the schemes that people make revolves around formation audibles. Having the ability to change them to whatever you want them to be would be HUGE for scheme creations.

gschwendt
05-09-2011, 04:22 PM
i thought it was called goaline tight but its been a while, but Florida is listed as running a regular goaline formation on my spread sheet and Army, Navy, GTech and Miss St are the only teams listed using goaline tight.
Yeah, I may be wrong about Florida having it... though I know that Mississippi State has it so that might be where my confusion comes in (ie Mullen being at MSU)

razorback44
05-09-2011, 04:24 PM
Florida has 4 Wishbone Tight plays. They are just within the Goaline Normal package.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LftlSf2P7s

gschwendt
05-09-2011, 04:31 PM
Florida has 4 Wishbone Tight plays. They are just within the Goaline Normal package.
Yeah, looks like they not only have a few Wishbone Tight but also a few Maryland I plays.

smace767
05-09-2011, 04:41 PM
Yeah, looks like they not only have a few Wishbone Tight but also a few Maryland I plays.

I noticed this as well. I would assume do to the goaline base playbook requirements, a lot of guys will use Florida as the base. To get some diversity in the goaline package and go from there with the rest of the playbook.

psusnoop
05-09-2011, 05:08 PM
I noticed this as well. I would assume do to the goaline base playbook requirements, a lot of guys will use Florida as the base. To get some diversity in the goaline package and go from there with the rest of the playbook.

I know I may toy around with that idea a bit.

souljahbill
05-09-2011, 05:14 PM
For clarification, does a playbook consist of both offense and defense or will players have to select both their custom offensive and defensive books before games?

gschwendt
05-09-2011, 05:17 PM
For clarification, does a playbook consist of both offense and defense or will players have to select both their custom offensive and defensive books before games?
Offensive & Defensive playbooks are separate entities. You select each independent of each other so you could use a default Southern Miss playbook but then use your custom defensive playbook.

gschwendt
05-09-2011, 05:22 PM
Just a couple of clarification notes just received:

By the way, you cannot edit Goal Line, Special Teams or Hail Mary. The number of plays in defensive playbooks is also dependent upon the base playbook selected so it falls into the 377-370 range as well.

As well, the max number of formations will depend on the playbook. I don’t have the range numbers yet.

JBHuskers
05-09-2011, 06:24 PM
Okay just confirmed with my notes that the defensive limits for formations and plays is the same as it is on offense.

(and I see Tommy basically said the same :D)

Roy38
05-09-2011, 06:52 PM
Hadn't seen this question asked...

Since there are custom Custom Defensive Playbooks, does this possibly indicate that each team has its own "personal" defensive playbook? I don't mean team specific plays (although there are team specific offensive plays...), but more along the lines of each team has its own defensive identity as opposed to the generic this team is "4-3", this team is "3-4", this team is "4-2-5". It would be great to see teams have more of a multiple feel to them.

However, I'm assuming this is just a tool for us to create the defense we want to use. If I want to use 4-3 as a base, I can add 3-4, 4-2-5, 3-3-5, as I see fit. Is this correct?

gschwendt
05-09-2011, 06:56 PM
However, I'm assuming this is just a tool for us to create the defense we want to use. If I want to use 4-3 as a base, I can add 3-4, 4-2-5, 3-3-5, as I see fit. Is this correct?
You are correct... I don't think I'm overstepping my boundaries by saying that there are not team specific defensive playbooks. However, obviously if you know what type of playbook your real life team uses, you could obviously create it yourself.

smace767
05-09-2011, 08:08 PM
One thing that i would like to see at some point is having to set a playbook in the preseason. This allows for every play in that book to be implemented up to a potential 100% effectiveness.
All other playbooks and plays can be used but with less effectiveness. practice would need to be done every week to either learn new formations and plays or maintain a high level of effectiveness in current ones.

A spread option team is not gonna be able to flip playbooks and run an Air Raid with an kind of precision to be affective without work in practice.

And the same concept could be applied to defense and scouting. Yes similar to the vip system. This would add more of the chess match.

picture bama with a set playbook from preseason but practicing formations that they do not use all season.
The scouting system list their three favorite formations and plays but since they have not used the plays they have been practicing they are up to the max 85% effectiveness for a non preseason formation/plays. Auburn comes into the Iron bowl thinking they are prepared, and Bama runs the new plays Auburn is not prepared for and catches them of guard and gouges the defense for big plays.

implementation could be awareness and play recognition hits for Auburn and increased execution and blocking/ route running awareness for Bama.

Now to clarify it should not be automatic that the plays are effective but if i have not run 5 wide all season i should have an element of surprise which would have to come as some type of impact on ratings. Now if Bama is playing Troy the talent gap should not allow even that deception to be very effective for Troy.

To be more specific on playbook game planing and practice. A playbook can have 40 formations but a game plan should have half of that with the first 22 most populated formations on off and and first 22 most populated formations on def and special teams set as the default game plan.

in real life teams dont come out ready to run the whole playbook at a high level every week. plays in your preseason playbook should go no lower than 85% effectiveness and non preseason plays should go no higher than 85%.

a whole other concept is better coaches could have bigger game plans. but thats another topic.

a practice menu where u could either practice your base playbook or a modified formation list. With one button click you could do the task without any input or you could go in and customize your practice how you wanted and practice new plays. Plays could have color coded frames to indicate a preseason base playbook play(green), plays you have practiced enough to run well 85%(blue), plays you practiced a little(amber) and plays your team has not ran or practiced at all(red).

if you do nothing, practice could be simmed just like recruiting. changing playbooks mid season should take four weeks with huge ratings hits, to get up to speed and should carry small awareness penalties for the rest of the season.

just what i want to see someday now that teams in ods will have wide open offense with all kind of formations and plays that real teams dont have time to install and run effectively from week to week. imagine having to know the audibles and hot reads for 40 formations and 370 plays every week while in college as a true freshmen qb, hb, or olineman, mlb, or safety, on the road at the swap or death valley in week three no less.

souljahbill
05-09-2011, 08:20 PM
One thing that i would like to see at some point is having to set a playbook in the preseason. This allows for every play in that book to be implemented up to a potential 100% effectiveness.
All other playbooks and plays can be used but with less effectiveness. practice would need to be done every week to either learn new formations and plays or maintain a high level of effectiveness in current ones.

A spread option team is not gonna be able to flip playbooks and run an Air Raid with an kind of precision to be affective without work in practice.

And the same concept could be applied to defense and scouting. Yes similar to the vip system. This would add more of the chess match.

picture bama with a set playbook from preseason but practicing formations that they do not use all season.
The scouting system list their three favorite formations and plays but since they have not used the plays they have been practicing they are up to the max 85% effectiveness for a non preseason formation/plays. Auburn comes into the Iron bowl thinking they are prepared, and Bama runs the new plays Auburn is not prepared for and catches them of guard and gouges the defense for big plays.

implementation could be awareness and play recognition hits for Auburn and increased execution and blocking/ route running awareness for Bama

I don't EVER want to HAVE to go to practice. I fool around with practice in the beginning of the season just to see what my new squad looks like but being required to practice every week with no "sim practice" option would be a turn-off for me.

Jayrah
05-09-2011, 09:01 PM
I'd be interested in knowing what percentage 400 plays is out of the total available plays in ncaa 12. Or just how many plays total there are. So you're pb will be 400 plays out of how many in other words. Makes a difference when talking about how diverse each pb can be if everyone set their pb to the maximum amount of plays.

TheTruth43
05-09-2011, 09:10 PM
I'd be interested in knowing what percentage 400 plays is out of the total available plays in ncaa 12. Or just how many plays total there are. So you're pb will be 400 plays out of how many in other words. Makes a difference when talking about how diverse each pb can be if everyone set their pb to the maximum amount of plays.
From a earlier post by smace767.

I thought 40 was really high as well so i had the spread sheet open and i counted 209 offense formations. This includes all the different goaline formations accept goaline wishbone, which was not in my version of the spread sheet for some reason.

My concern was someone creating a situation where you would have to defend every formation in the game. With some new additions, 40 formations still will only be less than 20% of all available offensive formations.

Kwizzy
05-09-2011, 09:11 PM
Ok so I know I'm a little late to the party here so I'm probably not saying anything new or answering any questions that haven't already been addressed. My 2 cents:

-Custom playbooks are extremely well done. They are easy to navigate and use. The size of them is impressive, almost overwhelming when you first start out wondering how you are going to fill it all. Obviously it's not hard to fill them if you wanted to create a playbook with every formation and play style, but for me it almost seemed like I could add too many plays! :) It's definitely not too many, but it seems like a lot when creating it.

-I spent about an hour or so sitting with the lead designer of the feature and going over what his thoughts, concerns, and focuses were with the feature & was very impressed. He has a very solid grasp of what the communities wishes are for this feature and has tried incredibly hard to incorporate as much customization as possible.

-Once you select the base playbook you can add or remove plays as desired with a few exceptions that really aren't that big a deal. As others have stated, plays that are set as audibles will not be removed using the "remove all" button however you can work around this by changing the audibles to what you want them to be. This can be done within the CPB menu. Also, there are a minimum amount of plays allowed in the playbook at any given time so you cant take the playbook down to zero plays and start from there (some kind of technical reason involved with this). All this means is that you will want to set up a couple formations the way you want them & then remove the rest of the formations you do not want.

-One thing, I don't know if it has been addressed or not yet but, the base playbook you chose when creating a custom playbook will determine the minimum roster requirements for your team when using that playbook in dynasty mode. So if you dont want to have to keep X number of linebackers on your roster that using a 4-3 PB calls for, and you are creating a defensive playbook, you could start out from a 4-2-5 base defense and your position requirements will reflect that base playbook.

-After messing with the feature, I can see myself making several different offensive and defensive playbooks for different "gameplans" that I want to take into a game. For instance, I will have a base offense and a base defense but I will also have a "Power Run Defense" and a "spread" defense which will allow me to focus against different teams' personnel each week. A very cool possibility. I can see people, including myself, taking weeks after release just setting up their playbooks for the first time and then constantly tweaking them.

I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have as best as I can.

Cipher 8
05-09-2011, 09:16 PM
I asked this before somewhere here but I'm just going to reask it now that you guys can talk about it, and I am going to read through the comments already to see what has been said...

Does custom playbook mean it's like you choose a base playbook style and can only choose from plays already within that base playbook? i.e. Air Raid, Spread, Pro Style, Multiple, etc and so say I choose Air Raid as my base playbook can I only choose formations and then plays from Air Raid playbooks

OR

Can I choose Air Raid as my base playbook but then choose some some Pro Style formations and some Pistol Formations and plays?

I hope it's a total start from scratch custom playbook feature. Where you able to choose a finite number of formations and a finite number of total plays so if you want 80% of the total number of plays your allowed to be in Shotgun then you can choose more Shotgun Formations but if you want a playbook with all kinds of formations you'll just have less plays from each formation but overall more formations.

JBHuskers
05-09-2011, 09:19 PM
You choose either a base generic playbook or a team's playbook, and then you can add/remove from there.

Coachdenz
05-09-2011, 09:23 PM
I know everybody is going to want my awesome playbook setup;)so my quesiton is " Can people download other players playbooks"?

Cipher 8
05-09-2011, 09:23 PM
goalline & special teams come with every playbook (can't remove), I think that's where the 377 comes from (ie 400-23 goalline/special teams plays).

So for example Virginia Tech's playbook in NCAA Football 11 has a weird or different than normal Goalline formation.

http://ll-100.ea.com/cem/u/f/GPO/easports.com/NCAA_Football_11/ProStyle/8.jpg

What if I wanted that as my goalline formation? Is there an option to choose that or would I have to choose it as, and use up, one of my other allowed formations and plays?

I hope they think about letting you choose amongst the different goalline formations or just take out the mandatory goalline altogether. I'de totally choose this VT Goalline or Maryland I over the normal Goalline anyday but I would hate to have to have both in my playbook and not use the normal Goalline while wasting some spots for other formations/plays.

Seems like you should just be able to choose what Goalline-like formation you want, or none at all. Defeats the purpose of "custom playbook" Special Teams should be mandatory but goalline you should be able to choose amongst the different formations or opt to not have one.

smace767
05-09-2011, 09:26 PM
i feel you. im not talking about actually running the plays. im talking about a button or two to push and a menu system. if you dont want to change playbooks or formations its automated by default just like recruiting can be.scouting would be a menu. once you go to play a week your team sims its default practice and loads the top three formations and plays of that weeks opponent that you can veiw during the playing of the game in a menu.

If you wanted to make changes then you need to go in the menu and change your gameplan before you go to advance or play the week.

ryby6969
05-09-2011, 09:27 PM
So Kwizzy, I assume the base playbook for offense also determines your roster requirements?

morsdraconis
05-09-2011, 09:28 PM
So for example Virginia Tech's playbook in NCAA Football 11 has a weird or different than normal Goalline formation.

What if I wanted that as my goalline formation? Is there an option to choose that or would I have to choose it as, and use up, one of my other allowed formations and plays?

I hope they think about letting you choose amongst the different goalline formations or just take out the mandatory goalline altogether. I'de totally choose this Goalline or Maryland I over the normal Goalline anyday but I would hate to have to have a normal Goalline in my playbook and not use it meanwhile waste some spots for other formations/plays by choosing to add this in there as well. Seems like you should just be able to choose what Goalline-like formation you want, or none at all. Defeats the purpose of "custom playbook" Special Teams should be mandatory but goalline you should be able to choose amongst the different formations or opt to not have one.

I would venture to guess if you choose the Va Tech playbook as your default playbook, then that goalline formation would be your default goalline formation.

gschwendt
05-09-2011, 09:31 PM

I hope they think about letting you choose amongst the different goalline formations or just take out the mandatory goalline altogether. I'de totally choose this Goalline or Maryland I over the normal Goalline anyday but I would hate to have to have a normal Goalline in my playbook and not use it meanwhile waste some spots for other formations/plays by choosing to add this in there as well. Seems like you should just be able to choose what Goalline-like formation you want, or none at all. Defeats the purpose of "custom playbook" Special Teams should be mandatory but goalline you should be able to choose amongst the different formations or opt to not have one.
To get that particular goalline formation, you'd either have to start with Virginia Tech as your base playbook or start with another but then add the Power I as one of your 40 allotted formations. You can't change your goalline set once you've started creating a playbook.

Kwizzy
05-09-2011, 09:31 PM
So Kwizzy, I assume the base playbook for offense also determines your roster requirements?

Yup. :nod:

Cipher 8
05-09-2011, 09:33 PM
I would venture to guess if you choose the Va Tech playbook as your default playbook, then that goalline formation would be your default goalline formation.
To get that particular goalline formation, you'd either have to start with Virginia Tech as your base playbook or start with another but then add the Power I as one of your 40 allotted formations. You can't change your goalline set once you've started creating a playbook.
:whoa: I totally forgot about the base playbook, so that is how it is then? That does actually sound about right. What else would choosing a base playbook mean? If your filling in the bulk of the formations and plays yourself the base would only be for the special teams and goalline then. Thanks, Morsdraconis and gschwendt. I hope that is how it is. ;)

gschwendt
05-09-2011, 09:34 PM
I know everybody is going to want my awesome playbook setup;)so my quesiton is " Can people download other players playbooks"?
No... though I'm not certain whether or not you could share a save file manually or not. I'll see if I can get clarification on that.

JeffHCross
05-09-2011, 09:35 PM
Yeah I guess I didn't realize that was public yet :D

3 plays displayed.I answered that like a month ago. Just nobody noticed :D. It was actually in the pictures that Operation Sports posted, but you had to be looking for it.

Cipher 8
05-09-2011, 09:40 PM
but they really need to go back to 6 plays/screen IMO:up:

I totally agree. I would like more then three on screen. The 6 plays was good I thought. Well I better get to reading all these comments before I go pick up Brink at midnight! :))

JeffHCross
05-09-2011, 09:47 PM

All other playbooks and plays can be used but with less effectiveness. practice would need to be done every week to either learn new formations and plays or maintain a high level of effectiveness in current ones.NFL Head Coach 09 had this mechanic. It's a good idea for those of us that like a good deal of depth ... but honestly it adds a lot of tediousness to the general game. I'm one of the guys that likes the idea, but I also know why other people wouldn't want to be forced to learn their playbook.

Of course, it could be an option for Dynasty. That way people in charge of the dynasty (or OD) could turn it on/off. That might work.

smace767
05-09-2011, 10:15 PM
NFL Head Coach 09 had this mechanic. It's a good idea for those of us that like a good deal of depth ... but honestly it adds a lot of tediousness to the general game. I'm one of the guys that likes the idea, but I also know why other people wouldn't want to be forced to learn their playbook.

Of course, it could be an option for Dynasty. That way people in charge of the dynasty (or OD) could turn it on/off. That might work.

i agree that some would be turned of by the level of detail.

Thats why by default i would suggest it be automated with no penalty, but if you changed playbooks during the season there would be negative affects which are realistic in changing playbooks from one week to the next. After a few weeks with the new playbook not much penalty. all this without the user doing anything.
The practice could be automated too and just another menu. if you wanted the depth and negate the penalties of new plays and formations during the season, you could go in manually, in these menus and make changes.

a little more than causal i know, but i think a very large percent of young and old football gamers can relate to game planning and practice and it could be way less of a task than the current recruiting while still having a big impact on the game and add depth in gameplay /experience.

i coached an 8-10 year old youth team in ft Polk LA. first round of the playoffs. We scraped what we mainly did and practiced some things we had worked on but had not used. Came up with break of tendency plays and practiced hard and upset the number 2 seed. Got blown out the next game but the look of the kids face after that playoff win, that work they put in made the season. the next game was a short turn around and the other team was ready for everything we through at them.

Cipher 8
05-09-2011, 10:39 PM
/\ That sounds like a good idea as an optional feature to add to Dynasty Mode. I agree default of 'off' or 'no' would be best because the majority of the people just want to play their game and advance it but I know for a fact not everybody is like that. My friends and I would totally love and use a feature that is this in depth.

How cool would it be if it sorta had the same mechanics as recruiting where you were only allowed so much time to practice the plays on a weekly basis and you had to choose how much time to spend on each play? Where it would go 10 snaps, or 10 times you run the play for every 10 minutes used or something?

Each team/school would only have so many practice hours each week, (Unless you were Michigan :P ) and then would really have to gameplan for your upcoming opponent. By practicing plays that you planned on running against that specific team more. If you know you'll be behind probably you better practice more shotgun passes if you feel you'll be ahead practice more runs ( unless your Wisconsin then you just practice runs either way :P ). The plays you spent most time on and executed good in practice would be more effective, sorta like set up plays that are linked in the playbook, so when you use them in that weeks game then they work better. The other plays in the playbook you didn't get to spend much or any time practicing you could still run in game they just wouldn't be set up or that bonus to effectiveness. You could still gain yards or score a touchdown on them though. Just wouldn't have a receiver run crisp routes and be wide open or not have your lineman block perfectly on that particular play because you didn't run it a lot in practice.

For those of you who don't want to do it they could implement it like Recruiting. Where if you don't want to spend your full 10 hours of recruiting you don't have to and you can quick call or let the AI do it. They could do the same thing for your practice time with this feature. Like you can sim a call by setting the amount of time to spend on the player, you could sim a play and choose the amount of time you can spend on a play and let the AI do it for you. Only allowing so much time per week would make it challenging though and would make it so not all the plays are set up and can be run to max effectiveness. Maybe they could even show, like they do with linked plays that are set up, all the plays you practiced and have the effectiveness bonus in your playbook so you know when to use them. They could also include something if you run that play a lot in the game it would lose it's effectiveness bonus because the team is aware of that specific play.

I just think this type of a feature would open up a lot to the game. The weekly gameplan where you have to practice plays you plan to use in your gameplan would add a realistic portion to NCAA, and probably more specifically Madden. I think that would bring a lot to Dynasty/Franchise mode and then you would truly be in charge of a team/program with Recruiting, Practice, Play Calling, and Execution on Gameday. :D

jcalv83
05-09-2011, 10:59 PM
I was curious as to whether anyone knew if they were going to also allow the user the ability to customize formation audibles...

This honestly seems like a given, because if you truly have the option of having any play in a formation and, consequently, the ability to remove any play from said formation, formation audibles such as "slants" or "hb dive" might not even exist in a custom playbook (not in my book, at least :smh:). It would almost seem silly to not have custom formation audibles, because if they keep the defaults for the formations, theoretically that would allow you four extra plays in EVERY formation.

I've read in this thread, briefly, that EA is looking into this issue, but if/when anyone knows the answer to this, I would LOVE to see it! This will truly get the creative juices flowing and allow for some amazing offensive and even defensive schemes. Great thread and thanks for all the information!

JerzeyReign
05-10-2011, 04:12 AM
I was curious as to whether anyone knew if they were going to also allow the user the ability to customize formation audibles

--> Answered. No, we are not. Forget what page it was on but it was within the first 3 pages.

smace767
05-10-2011, 06:08 AM
BLUF= can you assign multiple teams the custom playbook?

Example you create a run heavy offense or heavy zone /zone blitz defense and you want to assign it to 5 or 10 teams in dynasty.

in the current state you could assign 20 teams the wisc playbook.

This would be a tool for od commish to make cpu teams a better challenge depending on the level of play and playcalling by the cpu. As well as reset base team style ever 2 or 3 years if the recruiting and roster management dont improve and you have run heavy teams with a stud pocket qb and three good wrs or 3-4 teams with stud dlineman and no good lbs.

a post from op sports:
How do you figure that? With being able to only having 15 offensive playbooks, you realistically will only be able to change 14 CPU offensive playbooks in dynasty (Considering that you change your own). So out of 100+ teams in NCAA you will only be able to change 1/10 of the teams "play calling".

Granted you will never play all 100+ teams in dynasty and maybe only 20+ regularly, it still leaves a gap where you will be forced to go with EA's default playbook for that team. Unless you can add/delete/change pb's in dynasty mode and re-assign them to new teams.

Now I look forward to this feature and playing with it. Just wish they would have let us create as many as we like and assign them to as many teams as we like.

Response

You could make 5 or 6 good default base playbook like my post suggested.

Think spread option, power run, run n shoot / air raid, pistol ect on offense and the same generic ones on defense. Think zone / zone blitz defense, multple man defense, all 4 down line man or all with 5 dbs a true multiple defense. the key being you could remove the useless 7 and 8 man blitzes and add more logical base plays the cpu can be more successful with.

you could assign the same playbook to 10 or 20 teams. you are not limited to use a playbook only once.

In ncaa 11 in dynasty we went through and took out the spread option teams playboooks since they didnt run them well and gave them all wisc, or mich st, or another run heavy base option playbook.

With 40 formations, that is twice as many formations as the current playbook so diversity would still be better than what was in ncaa 11.

On a side note i guess it has not been determined if you could load these multiple times per dynasty team. I dont see why not. its one file u use multiple times like a teambuilder team in conf play after the user retires.

You use an alternate profile and assign each team with the improved base playbooks then go in and switch teams and change the next team until you retire that profile. when you leave the playbook and coach settings stay.

can this still be done?

cdj
05-10-2011, 06:59 AM
BLUF= can you assign multiple teams the custom playbook?

Unless I missed something, you cannot assign playbooks to specific teams. Just before you enter the game, you get the pop-up to select User Profile, O Playbook, D Playbook, and Control Style. Pick which playbook (default or custom) you want for each and then enter the game.

EDIT - I misread your post! You should be able to do the same thing in NCAA 12, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

jcalv83
05-10-2011, 07:42 AM
--> Answered. No, we are not. Forget what page it was on but it was within the first 3 pages.

Actually, I don't think we've received a solid answer on this yet. On page two, someone said they didn't think you could, but then on page three it was stated that further clarification on this issue is needed from EA. This is by far the most important question, for me. If you do have the ability to customize formation audibles, this means that on any given play, assuming that your main "button" audibles are geared toward similar formations/personnel, you could come to the line with up to 30 options!

PDuncanOSU
05-10-2011, 07:44 AM
How do similar formations, but with different names, work when adding them to your custom playbook?
The example I'm thinking of is Miss State's "Bulldog Heavy" and Florida's "Gator Heavy" formations. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe these two formations were identical. If I added Bulldog Heavy to my playbook, and wanted one or two plays from Gator Heavy that weren't in Bulldog Heavy would I have to add Gator Heavy as a seperate formation?

psusnoop
05-10-2011, 08:28 AM
How do similar formations, but with different names, work when adding them to your custom playbook?
The example I'm thinking of is Miss State's "Bulldog Heavy" and Florida's "Gator Heavy" formations. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe these two formations were identical. If I added Bulldog Heavy to my playbook, and wanted one or two plays from Gator Heavy that weren't in Bulldog Heavy would I have to add Gator Heavy as a seperate formation?

It is my understanding that yes you would have to add that as another formation.

gschwendt
05-10-2011, 08:31 AM
Where they could, they consolidated those formations to be a single formation. They were still in the process of cleaning some of that up when we were last there but they hoped to have it condensed as best as possible. So in that case, they might just rename it to Shotgun Heavy or something like that and all of those plays be in the same formation.

PDuncanOSU
05-10-2011, 08:42 AM
Where they could, they consolidated those formations to be a single formation. They were still in the process of cleaning some of that up when we were last there but they hoped to have it condensed as best as possible. So in that case, they might just rename it to Shotgun Heavy or something like that and all of those plays be in the same formation.

Thanks for the info. I'm sure there are similar situations w/ other formations. I just thought of this b/c I plan on using this formation for my short yardage plays in my spread option playbook.

blkkrptnt819
05-10-2011, 09:34 AM
Kwizzy,

You said something t the extent that offense and defense have the same play limitations 40 formations and 377 plays. How many defensive formations are there total? And you can add and subtract plays out a formation? I figure we would just pick our 11 formations. Does it make you have a dime and a nickel? Just elaborate on defensive playbooks as much as possible.

gschwendt
05-10-2011, 09:38 AM
Kwizzy,

You said something t the extent that offense and defense have the same play limitations 40 formations and 377 plays. How many defensive formations are there total? And you can add and subtract plays out a formation? I figure we would just pick our 11 formations. Does it make you have a dime and a nickel? Just elaborate on defensive playbooks as much as possible.
You have full control over your defensive playbook just like you do your offensive playbook. If you want only 4-3 & 3-4 formations, you can do that. I'm not sure a total formation count for the defense (I don't even think there are 40 total), however, the obvious big difference is that most defensive formations have many more plays than the offensive side so you might have 50 available 4-3 plays to pick from (just a random number i threw out). So while you might have every defensive formation included in your playbook, it will be harder to flesh out any one of them.

Kwizzy
05-10-2011, 09:53 AM
Kwizzy,

Yeah I don't remember saying that the limits were the same, I honestly don't remember what the limit was for defense (dunno how many plays/formations there even are on defense). Like G said, you have complete customization available. I am actually looking forward to cutting the fat out of a lot of the defensive formations to allow me to get to the plays I prefer more quickly. Re-ordering plays within the book helps with this significantly because you can put the plays you call most often all together.

xMrHitStickx904
05-10-2011, 09:59 AM
This is dope. I already know how I'm going to attack this. Go to practice mode, and spend a day looking at all of the playbooks, write down the specific formations that look interesting, potential deadly individual plays, and just build an overall strong offense, talk about a great feature here.

cdj
05-10-2011, 10:48 AM
MadScientist from MaddenMatrix has posted his thoughts on info regarding Custom Playbooks (http://maddenmatrix.com/?p=732).

oweb26
05-10-2011, 11:15 AM
LOL I wasn't that excited for it but he kinda made me excited because he was so excited. The entire article read like someone excited. That was a good article non the less.

CLW
05-10-2011, 11:29 AM
LOL I wasn't that excited for it but he kinda made me excited because he was so excited. The entire article read like someone excited. That was a good article non the less.

That's allot of excitement. :D

psusnoop
05-10-2011, 11:31 AM

:nod::nod:

psusnoop
05-10-2011, 11:39 AM
I can't wait to get my hands on this to be honest. The ability to create playbooks to matchup against other teams is so huge and so intriguing to me that I'm starting slobber slightly.

Can't wait to name my first defense, Kill PSUEXV. Oh the joys this could bring me in my own little world. hahaha

oweb26
05-10-2011, 11:43 AM

LOL, I had to share my excitement on his level. :nod: :fp:

gschwendt
05-10-2011, 11:44 AM
Can't wait to name my first defense, Kill PSUEXV. Oh the joys this could bring me in my own little world. hahaha
I honestly don't know if it will but what will be funny is if it will display the playbook name to your opponent (similar to how it does now).

steelerfan
05-10-2011, 11:45 AM
I can't wait to get my hands on this to be honest. The ability to create playbooks to matchup against other teams is so huge and so intriguing to me that I'm starting slobber slightly.

:D :D :D

psusnoop
05-10-2011, 11:53 AM
I honestly don't know if it will but what will be funny is if it will display the playbook name to your opponent (similar to how it does now).

Man I really hope it does, I'll have some good ones for everyone that I'm playing. Might be a good year for a super conference. The chance to create a book for each team that you play is amazing and really adds a ton of depth too.

gamergamer
05-10-2011, 12:19 PM
For edification purposes ... (although I think I can figure this out).

This does not include the ability to edit / create an actual play with routes, blocking styles, etc. ala the old Madden feature?

morsdraconis
05-10-2011, 12:21 PM
For edification purposes ... (although I think I can figure this out).

This does not include the ability to edit / create an actual play with routes, blocking styles, etc. ala the old Madden feature?

Nope. Just customizing what plays you have available to you.

oweb26
05-10-2011, 12:21 PM
Custom playbooks not custom plays. Would be nice though.

Jayrah
05-10-2011, 12:22 PM

This is something that when I was younger I would not have been interested in but now I think I would. I love the concept of having to gameplan. Obviously your opponent wouldn't know what you were practicing but a scouting report like you mentioned for in game during the season and during the entire dynasty would be huge. I think 85% is too high as low-end effectiveness, even for pre-season base formations. If you don't keep up on a formation throughout the season you should get docked for that. I think a low end of 65% if you don't practice a play OR use it in 6 weeks or so. However I think 85% is a good high-end for non preseason formations. And maybe like 45% low-end. In my opinion with this it would be important to note that the effectiveness should directly effect the chances of everyone running the play correctly, and not taking away ratings from any players, as ratings hits during certain plays are unrealistic in theory, except awareness which is impossible to implement on an individual level during in-game play. That's why this would be a TEAM AWARENESS rating, which basically would be that percentage with a name attached.

*By the way I'm still holding out hope for some sort of scouting tendency and/or report for 12 in dynasty news*

Another thing that need be noted is that you should not necessarily HAVE to do anything but set your plays for the cpu to practice, that way anyone who doesn't want to doesn't have to go in and practice the plays. Also those that want to go in and take a look at the play once or twice should be allowed to do that and sim the rest of that part without penalty of having only practiced it one time. Setting hrs allocation as described for this feature would be good. So you only would have to practice one day, but it acts like that's how you approached the entire week of practice in hrs spent.

The CPU would be held responsible in the same way (especially hopefully once coaches are implemented) in that they would randomly set a "gameplan" with their playbook for the week. This is where the current base coaching styles come into play with the percentage of run vs pass and aggressive vs conservative etc. Each "coach" would have a personality attached as well for whether they stay manilla or are innovative in practicing and calling plays each week. This would add EVEN MORE DEPTH to each team's pb in the way teams approach you in dynasty.

Boy oh boy! This CP feature has opened up a whole can of worms and ideas for future dynasty implementations. I didn't realize how much it could effect until now. This is awesome. I LOVE that we can change cpu pb's and set them the way they should be as well. I know it's a set # but it gives an OD Commish the ability to set at least the premier teams in each user conference to play more like real life.

Here's another question for the guys. I know you can't comment on the dynasty end of it, but in relation to custom pb's, could you potentially set more custom pb's for the cpu if you were to transfer commish duties to another user within the OD? So the commish can change 15, and then transfer it to another "commish" who could also change 15?

gamergamer
05-10-2011, 12:23 PM
Nope. Just customizing what plays you have available to you.

A shame. That was a pretty awesome feature of the old Madden games, if a little underdeveloped.

Would be pretty cool to add a true single wing or any experimental formation. Meh.

Jayrah
05-10-2011, 12:31 PM
Custom playbooks not custom plays. Would be nice though.

It is set now though so that maybe in the future custom plays could be fully utilized. Especially on defense, custom plays and "formations" by virtue of where you put different players could be really set to your liking because of the amount of available formations to add. There's a wishlist item for next year.

blkkrptnt819
05-10-2011, 01:18 PM
This is dope. I already know how I'm going to attack this. Go to practice mode, and spend a day looking at all of the playbooks, write down the specific formations that look interesting, potential deadly individual plays, and just build an overall strong offense, talk about a great feature here.

Didn't go as far as looking for plays. Like but I spent the past year looking at formations that fit my style and made a playbook out of them.

smace767
05-10-2011, 01:51 PM
How many locked formations are there? Special Teams, Hail Mary goaline formations are required. The word is there are 10 to 13 locked formation per playbook. can someone verify.

Solidice
05-10-2011, 01:53 PM
How many locked formations are there? Special Teams, Hail Mary goaline formations are required. The word is there are 10 to 13 locked formation per playbook. can someone verify.

there are 12 Special teams and Hail Mary formations. Goal Line can be 1-3 I think, depending on the team(Hidden formations). That is, if the formations are the same for SP and Hail Mary as they are in NCAA 11.

morsdraconis
05-10-2011, 01:54 PM

10 - 13 locked formations?! Where did that come from?

The only locked formations are Special Teams, Hail Mary, and Goalline for the offensive playbooks. Beyond that, you can do whatever you want.

So, for each playbook, there are 3 locked formations (Special Teams, Hail Mary, and Goalline), so, based on the above, you have 37 formation spots you can fill in.

Kwizzy
05-10-2011, 01:55 PM

No there are no locked formations (other than goalline, ST, & Hail Mary) at all. As I said in my previous post the only thing that prevents you from removing a formation or play is if it's in your audibles or when you hit the minimum number required in the PB. Those formations that stay once you hit the minimum required aren't locked, you simply must add other formations and plays in order to remove them.

smace767
05-10-2011, 02:14 PM
What solidice was saying was that the different special teams and Hail mary alignments were counted as separate formations and locked. Thats why i wanted to verify this.

Solidice
05-10-2011, 02:15 PM
10 - 13 locked formations?! Where did that come from?

The only locked formations are Special Teams, Hail Mary, and Goalline for the offensive playbooks. Beyond that, you can do whatever you want.

So, for each playbook, there are 3 locked formations (Special Teams, Hail Mary, and Goalline), so, based on the above, you have 37 formation spots you can fill in.

No there are no locked formations (other than goalline, ST, & Hail Mary) at all. As I said in my previous post the only thing that prevents you from removing a formation or play is if it's in your audibles or when you hit the minimum number required in the PB. Those formations that stay once you hit the minimum required aren't locked, you simply must add other formations and plays in order to remove them.

but are the "Hidden" formations counted as well?

for example. in Tulsa's playbook these are the SP teams, Hail Mary, and Goal Line Formations:

Goal Line
Hail Mary - 4WR
Hail Mary - 4WR Trey
Hail Mary - Spread
Hail Mary - Wing Trio Wk
Kickoff - NCAA
Kickoff - Normal
SP Teams - Fakepuntdirectsnap
SP Teams - Punt
SP Teams - Punt Max Protect
SP Teams - Tight Max Protect
SP Teams - Tight Max Prot Fake
Safety Punt - Normal

in total, Tulsa had 33 Formations in their playbook, if you count hidden ones.

I don't think it'll make much of a difference anyway. 370-377 plays for 25-27 formations is plenty enough for me.

smace767
05-10-2011, 02:19 PM
aren't all those special teams alignments in the special teams formation along with fg, qb kneel ect..
same with the hail mary aren't they all in the hail mary formation folder.

WolverineJay
05-10-2011, 02:21 PM
but are the "Hidden" formations counted as well?

for example. in Tulsa's playbook these are the SP, Hail Mary, and Goal Line Formations:

Goal Line
Hail Mary - 4WR
Hail Mary - 4WR Trey
Hail Mary - Spread
Hail Mary - Wing Trio Wk
Kickoff - NCAA
Kickoff - Normal
SP Teams - Fakepuntdirectsnap
SP Teams - Punt
SP Teams - Punt Max Protect
SP Teams - Tight Max Protect
SP Teams - Tight Max Prot Fake
Safety Punt - Normal

in total, Tulsa had 33 Formations in their playbook, if you count hidden ones.

I don't think it'll make much of a difference anyway. 370-377 plays for 25-27 formations is plenty enough for me.

Interesting. So what you're saying is that we wont have 37 formations we can add outside of goalline, special teams, and hail mary? I do agree with you that 25 or so formations to add to my offensive playbook is plenty (averages to nealy 15 plays per formation).

smace767
05-10-2011, 02:30 PM
I will have 7 base playbooks to work with and have two more open i can use if i want to use in ods with teams specific adjustments. i will make 6 general play cpu type styles as well. using the same concepts i use for my own but using more formations and plays that i might not run myself.

playbooks for me:

base playbook-will include all the plays i like and fit in my core concept of offense for equal matchups and 5* plus type teams

lower level base-a little more conservative playbook used against better teams while i still have decent level playmakers.

conservative- playbook where i have few true play makers and no threat at qb, not many shotgun or wide runs not many pulling lineman. zone block quick hitters and dig routes.

finesse- used if i have a few decent skill players, wildcat, empty, screens, draws.

power-if i have a good oline and hbs in comparison to the defense, power, wishbone, overloads, power i, multiple heavy te formations

machine gun-if i have a wr corp that needs to get the ball, 5 wide, 4 wide bunch heavy houston texas tech hybrid offense.

dual threat- QB is the playmaker lots of speed option spread option, shotgun passing. think FSU charlie ward type offense

Florida will be the base in most cases so i can use their goaline package. this alone will allow me to run some wishbone and power i without having to include those formations.

now none of these will be as restrictive as the description but 250 to 300 of the plays will fall in that descriptive category. the remaining 100 plays are to break tendencies and diversify somewhat in case injury or weather cause a style change.

blkkrptnt819
05-10-2011, 03:02 PM
Okay just confirmed with my notes that the defensive limits for formations and plays is the same as it is on offense.

(and I see Tommy basically said the same :D)

Sorry Kwizzy, it was JB Husker

Kwizzy
05-10-2011, 03:05 PM
Sorry Kwizzy, it was JB Husker

Oh no worries man, you just had me doubting myself! :D

Kwizzy
05-10-2011, 03:05 PM
Interesting. So what you're saying is that we wont have 37 formations we can add outside of goalline, special teams, and hail mary? I do agree with you that 25 or so formations to add to my offensive playbook is plenty (averages to nealy 15 plays per formation).

Going to try to get clarification on this point. Will post what I find out asap.

gschwendt
05-10-2011, 03:16 PM
Yeah... my misunderstanding may be incorrect but I'm fairly certain that the Special Teams, Hail Mary, and Goalline Normal do not count towards your formation count. However, if you for example were to use the Florida playbook that has 2 extra Goalline formations included with it (Strong I & Wishbone Tight), then you would have 38 formations available instead of 40. Again though, I might be mistaken and hopefully we'll get clarification on that for you soon.

CLW
05-10-2011, 03:22 PM
Question: When we are picking formations for our custom playbook and then we select a formation (I-Form Normal as an example from Team X's playbook) will there be an "easy" way to see each and every play in the game for the formation (I-Form Normal) or will we have to search/know which playbooks have that formation and then go through each school's playbook individually to find all of the plays we want to add?

gschwendt
05-10-2011, 03:24 PM
Question: When we are picking formations for our custom playbook and then we select a formation (I-Form Normal as an example from Team X's playbook) will there be an "easy" way to see each and every play in the game for the formation (I-Form Normal) or will we have to search/know which playbooks have that formation and then go through each school's playbook individually to find all of the plays we want to add?
It will list every available I-Form Normal play and you pick & choose which ones you want to include. You won't have to know which schools have your play or anything like that... besides picking your base playbook, the other playbooks really don't come into play.

CLW
05-10-2011, 03:47 PM
It will list every available I-Form Normal play and you pick & choose which ones you want to include. You won't have to know which schools have your play or anything like that... besides picking your base playbook, the other playbooks really don't come into play.

Wow this thing really sounds well thought out and fairly straight forward and easy to do. :up:

Awaits some sort of fly in the ointment to rain on my parade. :fp:

blkkrptnt819
05-10-2011, 04:34 PM
Wow this thing really sounds well thought out and fairly straight forward and easy to do. :up:

Awaits some sort of fly in the ointment to rain on my parade. :fp:

I don't think it will happen. Just rejoice!

blkkrptnt819
05-10-2011, 04:38 PM
Can you guys figure out how many formation exist on defense after the new ones not including Special Teams Goal Line and Quarters? Do those three come with whatever playbook we use like special teams, goal line and possibly hail mary come with whatever offensive playbook we use? I'm pretty geeked about defense in case you can't tell.

gschwendt
05-10-2011, 04:41 PM
Can you guys figure out how many formation exist on defense after the new ones not including Special Teams Goal Line and Quarters? Do those three come with whatever playbook we use like special teams, goal line and possibly hail mary come with whatever offensive playbook we use? I'm pretty geeked about defense in case you can't tell.
I think only Goalline and Special Teams come required with the defensive playbooks.

ram29jackson
05-10-2011, 08:26 PM

What did I miss?

is the editor fairly easy to navigate and create? or do you have to keep back tracking after each individual selection/ do you see a number count off as you fill your playbook?

can you shuffle them after creating in a certain sequence?

ram29jackson
05-10-2011, 08:31 PM
how about setting audibles for each play- is that still in ?

JeffHCross
05-10-2011, 10:44 PM
is the editor fairly easy to navigate and create? or do you have to keep back tracking after each individual selection/ do you see a number count off as you fill your playbook?I'd say it's intuitive. At the highest level, you select formations from the various alignments (I-Form, Far, Flexbone, etc) that you want. Within each formation, you have the option of choosing every play that you want to be included in that formation in your playbook. As you're editing these, the total number of plays (and formations) currently allocated in your playbook is constantly fluctuating. Everything is tracked at the top of the screen, so it's easy to see how many plays you have remaining.

how about setting audibles for each play- is that still in ?For each play? Huh?

ram29jackson
05-10-2011, 11:39 PM
OK, I guess that means per formation haha

JeffHCross
05-10-2011, 11:50 PM
Ram, see below.

I don't believe so.

Thanks G. Really disappointed if the formation audibles are set in stone since 95% of them are the same across almost all of the formations.

Koach Vonner
05-11-2011, 11:38 AM
I can't wait. This has been one of the things I have been asking for and looking forward too. There are so many teams that multiple sets now. This is going to be good for Offense and Defense.

Koach Vonner
05-11-2011, 11:41 AM
I'd say it's intuitive. At the highest level, you select formations from the various alignments (I-Form, Far, Flexbone, etc) that you want. Within each formation, you have the option of choosing every play that you want to be included in that formation in your playbook. As you're editing these, the total number of plays (and formations) currently allocated in your playbook is constantly fluctuating. Everything is tracked at the top of the screen, so it's easy to see how many plays you have remaining.

For each play? Huh?

The first part sounds awesome. That should make things a lot easier.

The second part is just flat out funny!! LOL

smace767
05-11-2011, 04:29 PM
long post from another board. its a response to a post so some of it might not make sense because it was a direct response to things from another post.

since some guys have used this feature i wanted to get some of your feedback on the subject.
once again a loooong post.

just one mans thoughts. no disrespect or trying to influence anyone to my way of thinking. Take it as is or keep it movin.

The first thing is nobody cares what other people do with their game in their own environment. The same you should care less if he has a sim crusade in his environment. You get your game and do what you want with it. Who cares?
With that said customizing everything is a thing few sports games allow. The show does not let you create a team of 8 ft tall 360 lb sluggers and pitchers. FIFA, nba2k11, ect..
the reason?

It takes away from the core of that sport. This is not nfl street or blitz or jam, Backyard football, or mario football.

Most people's issue is these things will impact the 2 player experience. Thats what every one is talking about. OD, online ranked matches, or head to head on the same console.

The whole discussion is about multiplayer. Nobody cares what you do in your offline dynasty. I know how ODs work and ive got 65 to 70 season in ods since ncaa09 in every type from tradition.com and heavy controlled web site hosted dynasties to dynasties that are pure psn communication with no msg boards or web sites.

i get the offline point as well since i have been playing this offline since ncaa 99 on pc. Avg about 10 season a year in offline dynasties and during good years its more like 15 to 20 seasons.

And the point of contention is we dont want to disable it. i want to go up against custom offense and defensive playbooks. What you hear is some guys dont want every single user game to be multi offense vs multiple defense.

The whole small issue, not a big deal, is how game to game, the offenses will be the same. you stop the run, guys come out in 4 and 5 wide. The identity of teams wont exist because every team will be a chameleon. Able to be any offense it chooses on any particular down / series.

There are some good playbooks with no qb runs. There are some good playbooks with no 5 wide or empty sets. some playbooks with no power running formations. At the start of the game i know what style you are and By the second qrt i know what sets you have.
i know what 2wr 2 rbs sets can do in that particular style or playbook. Now i can start to attack / be aggressive.
That chess match is over. With playbooks this big and diverse i now have to wait and see what you come out in every down.

Every team in a bcs any team online dynasty, after year two will have 4 star players, 3 deep at every position. They will have the depth.

in MAC or sunbelt dynasties, its relative. So your lack of depth is equal to his lack of depth on defense so the play still has the same chance for success.

Of course im gonna match his personnel after he pick his play. what is lost now is against some guys i know the general limits of his playbook and what he likes to do based on his individual game and season stats. I can pick my defense first.

I can dictate what i want to do without fear of getting gashed. 335 split has a good balance of run / pass coverage(basically a predator type defense with a three deep zone with shorter zones in the flat.) 335 has a bear and a stack.

If i catch you in a shotgun heavy playbook based on your game stats and season stats i have a good chance to shut you down if there is no big gap in talent. Same type of thing if i have a very good secondary and you are passing team. Advantage should be with the defense like it would be in real football situations. But now you just switch to a two te/ wishbone /flexbone offense and go from there.

Now with huge variety in playbooks, there is no one defense to shut any team down because the offensive style is so big.

Again every team should have the ability to run every play. Every team has a shotgun system. The issue you hear us make, is now you have the ability to run multiple, complete, multi-attack offenses in one playbook.

The avg game you only run about 50 offensive plays. So having 90 shotgun, 90 wishbone, 90 i formation / weak / strong, 90 pistol formation / single back formation plays, each are whole offenses in themselves.

Having 75 different pass plays and 15 different runs out of the shotgun when you will only call about 30-35 different plays in a game is a complete offense by it self.

75 different runs and 15 different passes out of the wishbone / flexbone same thing, an offense by itself.

To compare, play a game in ncaa 11. it like letting teams load 4 playbooks of different styles for that game. Imagine the other guy has the Texas Tech, gTech, Tulane and Nevada playbooks during that game. or Miss st, Michigan st, Hawaii, and Miami all avail to choose from in one game.

For those that dont know, when i post its usually big a$$ posts. Even though its not that big a deal to me. In fact im in a few recurring dynasties and to stay competitive one of my playbooks will include as much as i can get in it. Thinking about setting up my playbook actually triggered how much i think it affects two player games.

what guys would want for od? restrictive custom playbook setups. it could be an on or off od option.
What would have worked is choose a weight of pass to run. have like 5 classes of playbooks from pass heavy, to balance pass, to balanced, to run balanced, to run heavy.

If you had a pass heavy weight playbook you would have a limit on certain type of formation and plays. Once again you could pick any formation and any play, but the number of power run plays and formations would have a playbook limit. same with run heavy, only a small number of shotgun / 4 wide plays could be loaded.

The custom playbook creation menu would be either run or pass. a shotgun draw is a run a wishbone pass is a pass.

You could have all runs in a run playbook but you cant have more than the limit of passing plays / formation.
in a balanced playbook you would only be able to load so many formations and plays per style(I formation, wishbone, shotgun, ect...).

This still allows creative playbooks. you could have a run heavy with all shotgun and pistol runs. or pass heavy with all wishbone and flexbone passes. you could still be a primary I formation team or a pistol, or flexbone team regardless of the playbook weight class of run vs pass.

something like this would simulate the difficulty in trying to have a full multi-philosophy offense.

On defense my take would be declare your main front and that takes up 80 percent of playbook and limited on other sets.
multi defense could be two base fronts and those two take up 80 of your playbook and limited other sets.

There is a reason there are no Air raid / power option teams. or I formation / run and shoot teams. Its not that it doesn't sound good or fun. its just not realistic in a simulation attempt in an od. Which most dynasties strive to try to be as realistic as possible. and this could be an on or off option. allow custom playbooks or allow only restrictive custom playbooks.

This is all my opinion on the impact of how this is implemented. I never said take it out, it sucks, its cheesy, i cant stop it, none of that.

Again my opinion is the way it setup now, it takes a little away from the basic chess match of offensive style vs the defense in 2 player games.

gschwendt
05-12-2011, 10:48 AM
Hey guys... I got a few clarifications from one of the developers regarding some of the questions:

Unfortunately it doesn't sound like you'll be able to share playbook files even on a memory card, etc.
You can in fact have a very very small playbook with only a few plays added if you so desire but it doesn't sound like you can have a playbook with only Goalline/Hail Mary/Special Teams.
Hail Mary, Special Teams, and Goalline sets do chew into the 40 total count so for example, Florida, with their multiple Goalline looks, has 35 formations for the user to customize.
Defense does in fact use the 40 formation/set limitation
The style definition (Ace, Spread, Air Raid, etc.) is assigned when you choose your base playbook. There is not a way to change that yourself.
To re-confirm, Hail Mary plays are not addable/removable. They are locked into every playbook.

They're still working on formation audibles so no definitive answer on that yet but I'll share it as soon as they share it with me.

With the above said regarding goalline sets chewing into your formation count, there's really no reason to start with Florida as your base unless you really want to. Adding the Power I and Wishbone Tight will give you the same results (other than it all appearing under the same formation) with more customization options.

oweb26
05-12-2011, 11:13 AM
Basically what I already said start with the smallest playbooks and add formations from there.

xGRIDIRONxGURUx
05-12-2011, 11:14 AM
i dont care what side of the fence anyone sits on, on any site... if you think 35 is not enough in the example of using Florida... then you are just purposefully being a crybaby...

take your favorite book, take out the formations you never run, duplicates, remove all the fluff you never run, then add the little bit of stuff you always wish was in that playbook and i promise you...

end result is WAY < 35 or whatever formations... just my 2 cents... i like the setup and if they work on it and see that we really want custom formation audibles, then honestly that alone is worth me buying this game every year until i just get so old i cant play PS3 anymore... no joke

"E"

Cipher 8
05-12-2011, 11:29 AM

I hope they think about letting you choose amongst the different goalline formations or just take out the mandatory goalline altogether. I'de totally choose this VT Goalline or Maryland I over the normal Goalline anyday but I would hate to have to have both in my playbook and not use the normal Goalline while wasting some spots for other formations/plays.

Seems like you should just be able to choose what Goalline-like formation you want, or none at all. Defeats the purpose of "custom playbook" Special Teams should be mandatory but goalline you should be able to choose amongst the different formations or opt to not have one.

Hey guys... I got a few clarifications from one of the developers regarding some of the questions:

Hail Mary, Special Teams, and Goalline sets do chew into the 40 total count so for example, Florida, with their multiple Goalline looks, has 35 formations for the user to customize.

They're still working on formation audibles so no definitive answer on that yet but I'll share it as soon as they share it with me.

With the above said regarding goalline sets chewing into your formation count, there's really no reason to start with Florida as your base unless you really want to. Adding the Power I and Wishbone Tight will give you the same results (other than it all appearing under the same formation) with more customization options.

So that does sound like how it is then... so if you want that Virginia Tech or any other team specific goalline formation you either have to choose that teams playbook as your base playbook or add it in as a separate formation. I still think the only thing that should be locked in is special teams but I can live with Goalline and Hail Mary as well, knowing that I'll never use Hail Mary and would never use the normal goalline plays but I do use VT's formation a lot.

Koach Vonner
05-12-2011, 11:37 AM
Man these custom playbooks have me excited. That one feature alone might have me buy and pre-order the game. :))
Its going to take a lot of defensive strategy however this year to stop guys. Maybe the improved zone defense will help out tremendously. I can see guys coming out with Missouri passing attack, G-Tech option attack, Wildcats Formations, etc. People are going to have to defensive game plan for real!! :fp:

Cipher 8
05-12-2011, 11:37 AM
i dont care what side of the fence anyone sits on, on any site... if you think 35 is not enough in the example of using Florida... then you are just purposefully being a crybaby...

take your favorite book, take out the formations you never run, duplicates, remove all the fluff you never run, then add the little bit of stuff you always wish was in that playbook and i promise you...

end result is WAY < 35 or whatever formations... just my 2 cents... i like the setup and if they work on it and see that we really want custom formation audibles, then honestly that alone is worth me buying this game every year until i just get so old i cant play PS3 anymore... no joke

"E"

Yeah the only thing people are worried about is that they won't be able to have a playbook with all styles, like a Air Raid with tons of Shotgun formations combined with a bunch of Pro Style formations.

IMO you shouldn't be able to have the best of all of it. You choose what style you like and customize it and tweak it like you said to take out the plays you never run, the fluff as you call it, and add in the plays from other playbooks you like.

psuexv
05-12-2011, 11:39 AM
Good Stuff G

I think EA's idea behind custom playbooks is that you have a couple of playbooks that you like, but just need to add a play here or a formation there that will really complete the playbook. I don't think they intended it as most on here seem to want - basically a complete build of a custom playbook. I think that's why you have thinks like "The style definition (Ace, Spread, Air Raid, etc.) is assigned when you choose your base playbook. There is not a way to change that yourself."

xGRIDIRONxGURUx
05-12-2011, 01:13 PM
i think the style should depend on the bulk of the plays you are running... each play assigned a tag to its original concept... the highest % of plays you have is what dictates your offensive style...

same for defense...

because its going to be stupid to play someone online in a ranked game that going into the game it says "flexbone" but once you get in there you see that they just use the flex tight but are quads and wildcat all game... it just doesnt make sense that they didnt do it this way... they already have play #'s tracked on how many you have if they just used that same setup and assigned it a tag from the system it originally came from... motion trip option from spread (tag=Spread Option) but its not a complaint more than an "i wish it would have been done that way" type deal

"E"

JBHuskers
05-12-2011, 01:31 PM

Sadly for 10 things EA adds to the game from what those who pound it into the ground to bitch about, they'll focus on the ONE thing that isn't done right and go on for pages and pages about it; without even acknowledging that things they were bitching and berating EA about are things are now actually in the game, they mysteriously disappear and not talk about those topics anymore. It's something that is very easy for those type of people to do.

psuexv
05-12-2011, 01:35 PM
i think the style should depend on the bulk of the plays you are running... each play assigned a tag to its original concept... the highest % of plays you have is what dictates your offensive style...

same for defense...

because its going to be stupid to play someone online in a ranked game that going into the game it says "flexbone" but once you get in there you see that they just use the flex tight but are quads and wildcat all game... it just doesnt make sense that they didnt do it this way... they already have play #'s tracked on how many you have if they just used that same setup and assigned it a tag from the system it originally came from... motion trip option from spread (tag=Spread Option) but its not a complaint more than an "i wish it would have been done that way" type deal

"E"

I agree E - I think they didn't do this as I said in my previous post they didn't see someone taking a Flexbone base playbook and changing every single play. I think they designed this for example that I can grab USC's playbook and take out the 5 wide under center formation that sucks and add another shotgun formation or take out the Ace Trips and add I-form trips.

Personally this is how I'll run it. I'm not looking to build a playbook from scratch, just modify a couple to optimize for my playing style and likes.

Solidice
05-12-2011, 02:19 PM

what about the hidden formations within Hail Mary and Special Teams? do they count as 1, or still separately?

gschwendt
05-12-2011, 02:19 PM
what about the hidden formations within Hail Mary and Special Teams? do they count as 1, or still separately?
They just count as 1.

morsdraconis
05-12-2011, 02:24 PM
And see, I would be looking to build a playbook from scratch. I would want a playbook that caters to exactly what my team is built around. If I'm building my team to be a TE - FB - HB - 2 WR team, then I don't want something that doesn't use that personnel. That's the beauty of custom playbooks. If I'm building a team like that, I can build the playbook to match up my team to a "t". My OGs suck at pulling for offtackle plays? Then I can strip them out of the playbook, add more formations that fit my personnel, and add more plays that work for the players that I have.

psuexv
05-12-2011, 02:27 PM
And see, I would be looking to build a playbook from scratch. I would want a playbook that caters to exactly what my team is built around. If I'm building my team to be a TE - FB - HB - 2 WR team, then I don't want something that doesn't use that personnel. That's the beauty of custom playbooks. If I'm building a team like that, I can build the playbook to match up my team to a "t". My OGs suck at pulling for offtackle plays? Then I can strip them out of the playbook, add more formations that fit my personnel, and add more plays that work for the players that I have.

Yeah I'm not disagreeing that this wouldn't be cool. I'm just saying that I don't think EA intended this feature to do that and I probably at this point won't do that. If they did intend for it, I would think they would have allowed things like customizing the style not taking the style of the base playbook.

SmoothPancakes
05-12-2011, 02:34 PM
Sadly for 10 things EA adds to the game from what those who pound it into the ground to bitch about, they'll focus on the ONE thing that isn't done right and go on for pages and pages about it; without even acknowledging that things they were bitching and berating EA about are things are now actually in the game, they mysteriously disappear and not talk about those topics anymore. It's something that is very easy for those type of people to do.

Sort of like the dreads question last night in the IGN thing. They got their dreads in, but now they're already bitching because it's only one length and they don't get multiple lengths to choose from.

morsdraconis
05-12-2011, 02:36 PM
Yeah I'm not disagreeing that this wouldn't be cool. I'm just saying that I don't think EA intended this feature to do that and I probably at this point won't do that. If they did intend for it, I would think they would have allowed things like customizing the style not taking the style of the base playbook.

Oh, I can definitely understand that as well and I'm sure that's what most people will be doing, but I know there are going to be plenty of people that spend the first week or two of the game (while waiting for updated rosters) customizing the hell out of their playbook and probably building playbooks from scratch and I'll probably be one of them.

psuexv
05-12-2011, 02:36 PM
Oh, I can definitely understand that as well and I'm sure that's what most people will be doing, but I know there are going to be plenty of people that spend the first week or two of the game (while waiting for updated rosters) customizing the hell out of their playbook and probably building playbooks from scratch and I'll probably be one of them.

Wait a tick... I thought you weren't even getting the game :D

JBHuskers
05-12-2011, 02:38 PM
Sort of like the dreads question last night in the IGN thing. They got their dreads in, but now they're already bitching because it's only one length and they don't get multiple lengths to choose from.

That's what they do, take the most inane thing and pound it to the ground with post after post, page after page.

steelerfan
05-12-2011, 02:50 PM
Wait a tick... I thought you weren't even getting the game :D

I guess Coaching Carousel is no longer needed to push mors back on board. :D

steelerfan
05-12-2011, 02:51 PM

That's what they do, take the most inane thing and pound it to the ground with post after post, page after page.

Yep.

morsdraconis
05-12-2011, 02:52 PM

I guess Coaching Carousel is no longer needed to push mors back on board. :D

:D

I'm weak, what can I say?

psusnoop
05-12-2011, 03:30 PM

I'm weak, what can I say?

boknows34
05-13-2011, 02:09 PM
Is custom playbooks just going to be a place to assemble all of the plays that I like, or can I make my own plays, and more importantly, with my own formations, and the ability to have unbalanced or split O-lines. For example, there are two formations that I would like to be able to use, one has an O-line of
C LT LG RG RT and the other has a split line where the LG C are together and the LT RG RT are together on the right side of the field. Both are total gimmick formations, but perfectly legal. Also would I be able to make custom routes on pass plays (like in older versions of Madden that had custom playbooks) or would there be just a set of generic routes like streak, curl, post, in, out, etc... (like in the most recent version of Head Coach)?

cdj
05-13-2011, 03:43 PM
Is custom playbooks just going to be a place to assemble all of the plays that I like, or can I make my own plays,

Custom Playbooks lets you put your favorite formations and plays currently in the game into one playbook. There is no play creator or editor. Though, you can still do pre-snap hot routes and adjustments.

Thanks for joining the site!

boknows34
05-13-2011, 07:42 PM
Custom Playbooks lets you put your favorite formations and plays currently in the game into one playbook. There is no play creator or editor. Though, you can still do pre-snap hot routes and adjustments.

Thanks for joining the site!

That's unfortunate. It's definitely a positive that I can substitute out plays that I don't like, but a play creator would make custom playbooks better. The other thing that I hope to see is a return of trickery.

JeffHCross
05-13-2011, 07:50 PM
That's unfortunate. It's definitely a positive that I can substitute out plays that I don't like, but a play creator would make custom playbooks better.It would, but there's also a lot of concerns to be thought of before adding in custom plays. NFL Head Coach 09 had Custom Plays, and it was quickly obvious that the "top" plays created were all designed solely to abuse the AI or cheat.

I'm just saying that I don't think EA intended this feature to do that and I probably at this point won't do that. If they did intend for it, I would think they would have allowed things like customizing the style not taking the style of the base playbook.I would think that they intend just as much for someone to create their playbook from scratch as they do for us to just make simple edits.

For mors's idea of not having anything that doesn't match 21 personnel ... I can understand why he wouldn't want Hail Mary or Goalline to be in his playbook. But even a team that runs nothing but 21 personnel has got to have something for those scenarios. Or at least you would think they'd have it as an option. Plus, I imagine there's some reason those formations are forced to be kept. Otherwise it doesn't make sense, and I choose to believe that it makes sense.

As for the style of the base playbook ... just pick a base playbook that matches the style you're going to end up with. If you're going totally from scratch, then it really doesn't matter which base playbook was used. (Though it does occur to me that it would suck to get halfway through your playbook and then decide on a different style)

JBHuskers
05-14-2011, 02:37 PM
Looking through my notes, I found some clarification that may not have been brought up. When you hit :360y: or :ps3tri: to remove ALL formations and you have a (i.e. Shotgun) set that is an audible in a particular formation (i.e. Shotgun 4WR). It DOES actually remove every play in the formation except for the audible play.

My first thoughts (and I'm not sure if everyone else had the same thoughts from the CD) were that it wouldn't touch any of the plays in the formation, but I can confirm that it does remove everything but the audible play.

JeffHCross
05-14-2011, 10:33 PM
JB, you're talking about the master Playbook audibles here, right? Just want to clarify for anyone that reads that as a post on formation audibles.

JBHuskers
05-14-2011, 11:10 PM
JB, you're talking about the master Playbook audibles here, right? Just want to clarify for anyone that reads that as a post on formation audibles.

Yeah when you're trying to delete a formation that is in the master audible set.

boknows34
05-15-2011, 08:44 AM
It would, but there's also a lot of concerns to be thought of before adding in custom plays. NFL Head Coach 09 had Custom Plays, and it was quickly obvious that the "top" plays created were all designed solely to abuse the AI or cheat.

Maybe it's something to hope for in future games. If people want to cheat/abuse the AI offline, then whatever; but if people are concerned about cheaters online, just don't allow custom plays online.

Cipher 8
05-16-2011, 01:49 PM
Yeah when you're trying to delete a formation that is in the master audible set.

So is that formation actually deleted then, aside from the one play that is stuck because it's an audible, or does the formation still count against your max formation total? And does the play (the audible play) count against your total plays.

I think it would be dumb to be forced to have that formation and that play count against you and then actually show up in your playbook too as a formation but only one play in it.

I got another question. Certain playbooks have certain custom formation options (I think you can change between them with right stick but I'm not sure i haven't been on NCAA 11 in a couple days and can't remember right now) Basically I'm talking about the thing where you change backup RB, heavy, dual hb, strong slot, wr flip, etc. But some teams playbooks have like a special set up for a specific formation already like some have a TE in slot from default where other playbooks same formation and everything would have 3 WR's as it's default.

How is this treated in custom playbook? Will there be these team specific formations we can choose from but all the plays within them be all in one pool, so say BYU's custom Spread Flex compared to idk Florida State's Spread Flex for example. Even though say BYU's has a TE in the slot where FL.St. has a WR are all the plays still just linked to the Spread Flex formation pool. Does that make sense? I'm confusing myself now... lol Basically I would like to choose a team specific's formation because sometimes they have different formation options like the WR flip, Strong Side, Weak Side, Strong Slot where the same formation on other team's playbooks don't have those options.

Kwizzy
05-16-2011, 02:19 PM
So is that formation actually deleted then, aside from the one play that is stuck because it's an audible, or does the formation still count against your max formation total? And does the play (the audible play) count against your total plays.

I think it would be dumb to be forced to have that formation and that play count against you and then actually show up in your playbook too as a formation but only one play in it.

I got another question. Certain playbooks have certain custom formation options (I think you can change between them with right stick but I'm not sure i haven't been on NCAA 11 in a couple days and can't remember right now) Basically I'm talking about the thing where you change backup RB, heavy, dual hb, strong slot, wr flip, etc. But some teams playbooks have like a special set up for a specific formation already like some have a TE in slot from default where other playbooks same formation and everything would have 3 WR's as it's default.

How is this treated in custom playbook? Will there be these team specific formations we can choose from but all the plays within them be all in one pool, so say BYU's custom Spread Flex compared to idk Florida State's Spread Flex for example. Even though say BYU's has a TE in the slot where FL.St. has a WR are all the plays still just linked to the Spread Flex formation pool. Does that make sense? I'm confusing myself now... lol Basically I would like to choose a team specific's formation because sometimes they have different formation options like the WR flip, Strong Side, Weak Side, Strong Slot where the same formation on other team's playbooks don't have those options.

To answer your first question, yes that formation & play do count against your total but you can remove that play from your audibles (change it to a play you do want in your book) and then the play/formation can be removed.

I'm not sure on your second question, what you're referring to is called package subs but I don't know how they're handled in CPBs, maybe G does.

razorback44
05-16-2011, 03:09 PM
This x1000. Some people are just never going to be happy.

JBHuskers
05-16-2011, 03:36 PM

That was true with making a big deal out of pre-game openings online; when it was the same when these entrances were debuted last year and there wasn't such an outrage, now all of a sudden OUTRAGE!!!!!1111

rhombic21
05-16-2011, 06:35 PM
That was true with making a big deal out of pre-game openings online; when it was the same when these entrances were debuted last year and there wasn't such an outrage, now all of a sudden OUTRAGE!!!!!1111

You stay classy.

oweb26
05-16-2011, 07:03 PM
:smh:

morsdraconis
05-16-2011, 07:14 PM
You stay classy.

You have to admit that it's pretty silly that it's all of a sudden a horrible thing?

Personally, I didn't want them to spend time on them to begin with cause I never watch them, even once. I didn't want them ever. If I want to see the pageantry of college football, I'll go to a game in real life. I want a simulation football experience on the field. I want the strategy aspects of the game to come across as realistically as possible. Everything else is fluff to me.

rhombic21
05-16-2011, 07:19 PM
Personally, I didn't want them to spend time on them to begin with cause I never watch them, even once. I didn't want them ever. If I want to see the pageantry of college football, I'll go to a game in real life. I want a simulation football experience on the field. I want the strategy aspects of the game to come across as realistically as possible. Everything else is fluff to me.
That was my point to begin with. It wasn't about complaining that they weren't online. It was about complaining that they keep spending so much time on "features" that even they admit have limited replay value.

JBHuskers
05-16-2011, 07:36 PM
It is also important to realize that creating entrances and traditions has no effect whatsoever on time that "should be" spent programming the gameplay. The creative/art team creates these entrances and these traditions, while the gameplay team--a completely separate group of programmers--is focused on creating the game actually played on the sticks. And since that gameplay team--which creates the base code for gameplay for both NCAA and Madden--is due to just about double in size, there should be even less justification in the future for complaining that improvements to the artistic side of the game are "sucking up the time and resources" for making the game itself better.

Yep.

rhombic21
05-16-2011, 07:40 PM
Yep.

I addressed that point in the initial post. They hire people to make these entrances, right? And give them tools necessary to collect the requisite assets and to put them in the game, right?

They could, in theory, not pay those people to do entrance stuff, and instead hire other people to work on non-entrance oriented elements of the game. Or they could invest in other technologies that would impact alternate features.

JBHuskers
05-16-2011, 07:43 PM
But it's at more cost to implement it online....because it wasn't there prior, and it wasn't a highly requested feature to do so.

rhombic21
05-16-2011, 07:49 PM
But it's at more cost to implement it online....because it wasn't there prior, and it wasn't a highly requested feature to do so.

That doesn't address the point. They chose to invest (relatively heavily, apparently) in developing a portion of the game that was obviously of limited value. That is the point.

oweb26
05-16-2011, 08:12 PM
Are you guys seriously arguing over this? Who really cares either you feel like they shouldn't have done it or you are okay with it. They are a business and they have to find a way to make their product marketable for as little cost as possible. Stop taking everything about this game so personal, you will die early and they will still be adding new blades of grass and adding new entrances.

JBHuskers
05-16-2011, 08:18 PM
Are you guys seriously arguing over this? Who really cares either you feel like they shouldn't have done it or you are okay with it. They are a business and they have to find a way to make their product marketable for as little cost as possible. Stop taking everything about this game so personal, you will die early and they will still be adding new blades of grass and adding new entrances.

I'm not really arguing because it's such a menial complaint but like Razorback said...

SmoothPancakes
05-16-2011, 08:30 PM
I'm not really arguing because it's such a menial complaint but like Razorback said...

Unfortunately. Some people (in general, I'm not referring to anyone specifically) will bitch and bitch and bitch. Someone could have a list of 100 things they want to see added to NCAA, and if EA adds 99 of those 100 things, that person will completely ignore the fact that they got 99 of those things they wanted so badly actually into the game, and instead focus their entire attention on that one thing that didn't get put in and bitch and moan incessantly and say EA doesn't give a damn about the community or that EA ignores the requests of those in the community and that this edition of NCAA is the worst ever because that one thing wasn't added, even though 99 other things they wanted did get added.

Some people around the internet sadly just live to do nothing but bitch. Hell, EA could add all 100 things on someone's list of things they want, and they would still find something to bitch about. It's just never ending with some people. Again, a specific example, the dreads people. :P

JBHuskers
05-16-2011, 08:31 PM
Unfortunately. Some people (in general, I'm not referring to anyone specifically) will bitch and bitch and bitch. Someone could have a list of 100 things they want to see added to NCAA, and if EA adds 99 of those 100 things, that person will completely ignore the fact that they got 99 of those things they wanted so badly actually into the game, and instead focus their entire attention on that one thing that didn't get put in and bitch and moan incessantly and say EA doesn't give a damn about the community or that EA ignores the requests of those in the community and that this edition of NCAA is the worst ever because that one thing wasn't added, even though 99 other things they wanted did get added.

Some people around the internet sadly just live to do nothing but bitch. Hell, EA could add all 100 things on someone's list of things they want, and they would still find something to bitch about. It's just never ending with some people. Again, a specific example, the dreads people. :P

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

JeffHCross
05-16-2011, 08:33 PM
Guys, let's get off this topic. We all know there are different opinions about the series, and we're not going to solve them tonight (or in this manner). Stop beating a dead horse.

ram29jackson
05-16-2011, 09:17 PM
long post from another board. its a response to a post so some of it might not make sense because it was a direct response to things from another post.

since some guys have used this feature i wanted to get some of your feedback on the subject.
once again a loooong post.

just one mans thoughts. no disrespect or trying to influence anyone to my way of thinking. Take it as is or keep it movin.

The first thing is nobody cares what other people do with their game in their own environment. The same you should care less if he has a sim crusade in his environment. You get your game and do what you want with it. Who cares?
With that said customizing everything is a thing few sports games allow. The show does not let you create a team of 8 ft tall 360 lb sluggers and pitchers. FIFA, nba2k11, ect..
the reason?

It takes away from the core of that sport. This is not nfl street or blitz or jam, Backyard football, or mario football.

Most people's issue is these Every team in a bcs any team online dynasty, after year two will have 4 star players, 3 deep at every position. They will have the depth.

in MAC or sunbelt be declare your main front and that takes up 80 percent of playbook and limited on other sets.
multi defense could be two base fronts and those two take up 80 of your playbook and limited other sets.

There is a reason there are no Air raid / power option teams. or I formation / run and shoot teams. Its not that it doesn't sound good or fun. its just not realistic in a simulation attempt in an od. Which most dynasties strive to try to be as realistic as possible. and this could be an on or off option. allow custom playbooks or allow only restrictive custom playbooks.

This is all my opinion on the impact of how this is implemented. I never said take it out, it sucks, its cheesy, i cant stop it, none of that.

Again my opinion is the way it setup now, it takes a little away from the basic chess match of offensive style vs the defense in 2 player games.

I deleted most of quoted post- but just so you know which i'm referring to.

ITS A GAAAAME !!!!! haha
plus he could have made the same point in less than 50 words

JBHuskers
05-16-2011, 09:18 PM
I think I'm going to maybe give it two/three weeks on the final game before I make a playbook. The game has definitely changed with zone defenses, and even getting quite a few looks at NCAA 12, I haven't really found a good rhythm of plays that I like quite yet.

ram29jackson
05-16-2011, 09:29 PM
You have to admit that it's pretty silly that it's all of a sudden a horrible thing?

but I get all warm and tingly looking at close up shots that dwell on my created teams :):nod:

ram29jackson
05-16-2011, 09:32 PM
stop beating a dead horse.

....has anyone ever actually done that ?

Cipher 8
05-17-2011, 12:13 AM
To answer your first question, yes that formation & play do count against your total but you can remove that play from your audibles (change it to a play you do want in your book) and then the play/formation can be removed.Oh you can change your audibles, okay idk why but for some reason I thought the audibles were stuck with the base playbook. That's good to know.

I'm not sure on your second question, what you're referring to is called package subs but I don't know how they're handled in CPBs, maybe G does.
Good to know. I should've fired up NCAA 11 to make the question more direct but i was tired when i posted it. Now that I got the name of what that is called, Package Subs, I guess I'll boot up NCAA 11 and try to be more specific about what I'm asking and then any of the guys who have played the game or will be playing the game again coming up can then ask them or find out the answer maybe...

So in NCAA Football 11 BYU runs an Air Raid offense and one of their formations is Shotgun: Spread Flex. In this formation seen below...

http://i51.tinypic.com/2h7dk47.png

For BYU the Normal package sub has;

The :360x: receiver set as WR #1 on depth chart.
The :360y: receiver set as WR #3 on depth chart.
The :360a: receiver set as WR #4 on depth chart.
The :360b: receiver set as WR #2 on depth chart.
The http://wikicheats.gametrailers.com/images/thumb/1/11/Xbox360_Bumper_Left.png/40px-Xbox360_Bumper_Left.png receiver set as RB #1 on depth chart.

For BYU this is their options for package subs within that formation.

Normal
WR Flip
Strong Slots
HB Slot
TE Slot
CB Slot
HB Sub
Backup QB
Fullback

Now all of these school's playbooks also use that formation in NCAA Football 11.

Air Force
Auburn
BYU
Cal
Colorado State
Duke
Fresno State
Houston
Kent State
Kentucky
Louisiana Tech
Louisville
LSU
Mississippi State
New Mexico State
Oklahoma State
Oregon
San Jose State
Southern Miss
Temple
Texas Tech
Troy
Tulsa
UL Monroe
USF
Utah
Utah State
UTEP
One Back
Spread
Run Balanced
Option Run

Yes, the package subs are universal to that formation so those will carry over when you add that formation to your playbook.

So they should be universal? All the teams should have the same package options?

I swear some teams had different sub package options within the same formation name that other school's didn't have. I also thought some teams had a TE as :360a: receiver in the slot in their Normal package -- where as other teams have their 3rd or 4th WR at :360a: in the slots by default in the same formation. Am i just mistaken?

And what about the Wildcat sets... they all have different names, WildTurkey for Virgina Tech, WildFrog, etc. Are those all different formation options where there will be like 10 different named wildcat formations to choose from or is the Wildcat formation all just one formation, dubbed Wildcat.

JeffHCross
05-17-2011, 12:50 AM
So they should be universal? All the teams should have the same package options? I'm 99% sure that all teams that use the same formation have the same package sub options. Of course, I could be wrong.

I also thought some teams had a TE as :360a: receiver in the slot in their Normal package -- where as other teams have their 3rd or 4th WR at :360a: in the slots by default in the same formation. Am i just mistaken?I actually think I've seen this vary between plays within a formation, sometimes. It certainly varies with formation alignment, though, so we may just be getting our wires crossed because of similar (but not same) formations.

And what about the Wildcat sets... As it was presented in the videos that leaked Custom Playbooks, Wildcat had many, many entries, with Wild Turkey, Bulldog, etc all being separate. My understanding is that the team was looking to eliminate the redundancy. It's one of things I'm planning to glance at during the trip.

Unconquered
06-20-2011, 09:27 PM
Here's a few skill-testing questions, if anyone's still reading:

1) What happens to "hidden" formations, such as the Emory & Henry formation hidden in South Carolina's Ace Big formation in '11? Will we find those E&H plays (and hidden formation) in Ace Big?

2) Assuming there are E&H plays hidden in Ace Big, and we take them, would that then count as two formations (Ace Big + Ace Big Emory Henry = 2)?

morsdraconis
06-21-2011, 07:41 AM
Here's a few skill-testing questions, if anyone's still reading:

1) What happens to "hidden" formations, such as the Emory & Henry formation hidden in South Carolina's Ace Big formation in '11? Will we find those E&H plays (and hidden formation) in Ace Big?

2) Assuming there are E&H plays hidden in Ace Big, and we take them, would that then count as two formations (Ace Big + Ace Big Emory Henry = 2)?

1. Separate formation and no.
2. Would count as two different formations.

Unconquered
06-21-2011, 08:20 AM
Are you sure about that? In some of the raw gameplay footage I've seen, there are still "hidden" formations in playbooks. For example, in the Utah gameplay footage (at 2:50), you can see that their Ace F Pair Twins formation has some hidden Flex plays.

I'm betting those hidden plays will be available to choose in custom playbooks as part of the "regular" formation -- although taking them will probably count as an extra formation.