PDA

View Full Version : Gears of War 3 (360)

cdj
02-24-2011, 09:33 AM
More info expected later today, but here are a few pieces of info courtesy a press release from Microsoft:

· An enthralling cinematic story that captivates players in an intimately intense action game

· Five-on-five multiplayer experience as well as four player campaign co-op experience

· New multiplayer game modes including ‘Beast Mode’ – offering a new twist to the game where you take on the role of the locust horde and their assorted variations!

· New maps including: Trenches which features an impressive sand storm that reduces your visibility, as well as Overpass, Mercy, Checkout, and Thrashball

· New weapons including: The Bayonet Charge, The Retro Lancer, The Sawed-off Shotgun, The OneShot – a heavy sniper rifle that shoots through shields or cover for a surprise one shot kill, The Incendiary Grenade, The Digger Launcher and a few subtle tweaks to old favourites Hammerburst and The Classic Lancer. Don’t forget that each weapon now has its own execution move!

cdj
02-24-2011, 07:03 PM
First, Gears of War fans learn of the release date of the franchise's third chapter. Now, more details on the upcoming multiplayer beta have surfaced.

Microsoft announced the Gears of War 3 beta will launch for Xbox 360 in mid-April, and offer access to three Versus modes across four maps.

It's not clear what game modes players will get to tackle, but Epic Games is letting fans pick two of the four maps in a poll posted on Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/gearsofwar).

Here's a brief description from Gamespot of the four maps eligible for vote in the Facebook poll:

Overpass, which lets players hole up in an elevated position with heavy weapons; Old Town, a team-focused map with a large supply dump; Mercy, which features a large open square; and Trenches, which features a maze of locust positions caught in a sandstorm.

Voting ends on February 28. Copies of the Epic Edition of first-person shooter Bulletstorm feature access to the Gears of War 3 beta. The game launches on September 20.

Courtesy: USA Today (http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gamehunters/post/2011/02/gears-of-war-3-beta-launching-in-mid-april/1)

I OU a Beatn
02-25-2011, 09:14 AM
This is the absolutely only multiplayer shooter I'll need for the rest of this generation of consoles. Good thing, after the uber mega disappointments of KZ3 and S4, I was beginning to worry.

JBHuskers
02-25-2011, 09:46 AM
This is the absolutely only multiplayer shooter I'll need for the rest of this generation of consoles. Good thing, after the uber mega disappointments of KZ3 and S4, I was beginning to worry.

...until you get your hands on the beta and denounce it :D

I OU a Beatn
02-25-2011, 10:38 AM
Not a chance. Epic Games is one of the few developers of online shooters left that doesn't care about Call of Duty and genuinely focuses on making a game that their FANS will appreciate. Guerrilla Games and Zipper are two studios that could definitely take lessons on how to do that. If you watch some of the beta footage that has been released so far, it looks like a much tighter, much more fluid and smoothly flowing Gears, which is 100% exactly what the fans of the series want.

By the way, it was announced earlier today that everyone with an XBL Gold account will have access to the beta mid April. People who bought BS will get earlier access, although no mention of exactly how early.

cdj
02-26-2011, 12:47 PM
More demo details:

Three multiplayer modes will be included in the beta: Team Deathmatch, King of the Hill, & Capture the Leader.
Four new maps will be included in the beta, two of which you can vote on.
Gamers who play 90 or more matches in the beta will earn a special gold retro lancer that will carry over to the full game.
Gamers who play 70 matches in the beta will unlock the ability to use Cole in his Thrashball uniform in the game. Play thirteen more matches with Cole and you'll have the variant for good in the retail version.
Both Chairman Prescott & Queen Myrrah will be playable characters in the beta.

Courtesy: Stick Skills (http://stickskills.com/news/1513/gears-of-war-3-beta-details-unlocks-announced/)

cdj
02-26-2011, 08:23 PM
Box Art:
http://attackofthefanboy.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/gears3boxart.jpg-610x0.jpg

I OU a Beatn
02-26-2011, 10:51 PM
Sexiest box art ever? I think so.

I OU a Beatn
03-04-2011, 09:56 AM
Beta starts April 18 for owners of BS Epic Edition, 25th for everyone with a Gold account. Ends May 15th.

JBHuskers
03-04-2011, 10:11 AM
I like the bonuses you get for the # of matches you compete in for the beta. Nothing spectacular, but they thought ahead on giving out a thank you for participating.

JBHuskers
04-19-2011, 01:38 PM
Some beta game play. I reserved this at GameStop, so I'll be in the beta starting on Monday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gntpdOEBE4w

SmoothPancakes
04-19-2011, 01:45 PM
Some beta game play. I reserved this at GameStop, so I'll be in the beta starting on Monday.

I did the exact same thing. Saw the thing on Gamestop about beta access if you preordered so I went and got one in, got my email with the access code back on Friday.

JBHuskers
04-19-2011, 01:50 PM
Beta starts April 18 for owners of BS Epic Edition, 25th for everyone with a Gold account. Ends May 15th.

By the way this isn't right for the 25th...only GameStop preorders....

All gold members getting access isn't true.

I OU a Beatn
04-19-2011, 01:56 PM
Yup, it was originally supposed to be everyone, but it got switched to only Gamestop preorders getting access on the 25th.

I've had it for about a week now. Anyone else play it? It's absolutely unbelievable how good it is.

JBHuskers
04-19-2011, 01:57 PM
Yup, it was originally supposed to be everyone, but it got switched to only Gamestop preorders getting access on the 25th.

I've had it for about a week now. Anyone else play it? It's absolutely unbelievable how good it is.

It was a bummer.....but no prob I just went to GameStop and forked over a $5 spot :)

lilheavy
04-23-2011, 08:56 AM
It was a bummer.....but no prob I just went to GameStop and forked over a $5 spot :)

For some reason gamestop sent me a code for the beta and I didn't preorder...i'm not complaining :P

SmoothPancakes
04-25-2011, 12:18 PM
Damn, almost completely forgot about my beta code for today. I've been so busy with Assassin's Creed 1 and 2 since last Tuesday that I didn't even realize that today was the 25th until I saw the code from Gamestop sitting in my email while doing some inbox cleaning.

JBHuskers
04-25-2011, 12:36 PM
Mine is sitting right within reach on my coffee table waiting to be used at 4:45pm :nod:

SmoothPancakes
04-25-2011, 01:00 PM
Mine is sitting right within reach on my coffee table waiting to be used at 4:45pm :nod:

Nice. Mine's already downloaded, a very nice, small, short download. Just finding a good stopping point in AC2 then jumping into in the action.

I OU a Beatn
04-25-2011, 01:04 PM
You're in for a surprise. It's a small download followed by a much larger game update, and it goes slow as hell for some reason. :D

JBHuskers
04-25-2011, 01:16 PM
You're in for a surprise. It's a small download followed by a much larger game update, and it goes slow as hell for some reason. :D

gee, I wonder why :D

SmoothPancakes
04-25-2011, 01:47 PM

I knew it was too good to be true having such a small download. :D

JBHuskers
04-25-2011, 02:39 PM
I knew it was too good to be true having such a small download. :D

That's what she said.

SmoothPancakes
04-25-2011, 02:45 PM
That's what she said.

It's all about the stamina buddy. ;)

JBHuskers
04-26-2011, 12:01 AM
This was a hell of a lot of fun tonight.....got 16 matches in before I knew it after work. I won't have a problem unlocking the gold lancer. Only a couple hiccups on people jumping around; other than that, stable as hell. Never got disconnected in-match.

I OU a Beatn
04-26-2011, 12:27 AM
The funny part? You weren't even playing on the dedicated servers. They've been down as they're incorporating more to meet demand. So, if it's that smooth on P2P, just imagine how smooth it is once you're on dedicated servers like you will be for a lot of the beta and for all the game? Trust me, it's unbelievably amazing how smooth it is. It's just what Gears needed. Multiplayer game of the year to beat without a question.

JBHuskers
04-26-2011, 12:33 AM
Yeah I put in 3 hours like it was nothing. My k/d is completely turrrible but it is a hell of a lot of fun.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I OU a Beatn
04-26-2011, 12:35 AM
Mine's only at 1.2, but like you, I started out real bad...like 0.6 after 10 games or so. I have the mentality of running in, shotgun in hand, and just trying to blast the shit out of people up close. Unfortunately, while it does work in Gears 2, it does not work in Gears 3. Those little bitches using the Sawed Off and Retro Lancer(90% of the people playing the beta) win that battle every single time. I've already started to adapt and have been playing at a nice medium range with my Gnasher and Hammerburst. Old school, baby.

JBHuskers
04-26-2011, 01:00 PM
I'm 0.4 right now :D

I OU a Beatn
04-26-2011, 01:04 PM
Pick the Sawed Off and Retro Lancer as your load out. If they get real close, shoot 'em with the sawed off. If they're trying to keep a distance, hip fire with the retro lancer. If they're far away, camp behind cover until they come up and then pick which way you'd rather kill them. That's what everyone else does - you'll instantly start to see your k/d ratio rise.

JBHuskers
04-26-2011, 01:07 PM
Cool, for some reason I had more success with the regular Lancer than the retro. And I used the Gnasher with it.

I OU a Beatn
04-26-2011, 01:13 PM
If you're going to use the sawed off and the retro, you have to train yourself to be patient and camp until someone gets in your range. In a close up battle, hip fire from the retro lancer downs quicker than the gnasher, so it's pointless to use those weapons together. I personally use the Gnasher and Hammerburst like I did the whole time on Gears 2, but IMO, the best load outs in order are:

1. Sawed Off + Retro Lancer if you're patient.
2. Gnasher + Hammer burst
3. Sawed Off + Hammerburst

The Lancer just sucks as usual, so I wouldn't even bother with it. We'll have to get some games in if we can catch each other at the same time one of these days.

I OU a Beatn
04-28-2011, 12:27 PM
Got my 100 golden retro lancer kills, so I'm good to go as far as getting all the unlocks for the beta. I'm probably going to stop playing so I don't burn myself out on it by the time the actual game comes out like I did Uncharted 2.

JBHuskers
04-28-2011, 12:41 PM
If you're going to use the sawed off and the retro, you have to train yourself to be patient and camp until someone gets in your range. In a close up battle, hip fire from the retro lancer downs quicker than the gnasher, so it's pointless to use those weapons together. I personally use the Gnasher and Hammerburst like I did the whole time on Gears 2, but IMO, the best load outs in order are:

1. Sawed Off + Retro Lancer if you're patient.
2. Gnasher + Hammer burst
3. Sawed Off + Hammerburst

The Lancer just sucks as usual, so I wouldn't even bother with it. We'll have to get some games in if we can catch each other at the same time one of these days.

I have been shooting from the hip with the Retro Lancer, that has worked better for me. I still suck ass with the sawed off, so I go with the Gnasher still. Actually had a 9/5 match :D (but still have completely shitty matches too) still sitting at 0.3 k/d though I think.

Got my 100 golden retro lancer kills, so I'm good to go as far as getting all the unlocks for the beta. I'm probably going to stop playing so I don't burn myself out on it by the time the actual game comes out like I did Uncharted 2.

I'm 32 matches in, in three settings....so I should be good to go by the 15th.

I OU a Beatn
04-28-2011, 04:18 PM
Yeah, that's one reason I'm going to stop playing except once or twice a week. EVERYONE is now using the Sawed Off and Retro Lancer loadout. If you think about it, it's the perfect load out. All you have to do is camp until someone is within medium range, and then you pepper them with the Retro Lancer. Hip fire or not, the Retro Lancer > Gnasher in just about every situation. If they get too close, you pull out your Sawed Off and just fire - you're bound to at least down them.

It's a severely overpowered class and one that Epic had better be looking at correcting.

JBHuskers
05-06-2011, 09:23 AM
Big Head Mode now live! (http://saveandquitgaming.com/gears-of-war-3-big-head-mode-surprise/)

I'm having a blast with this game. K/D still sucks, but it's getting better.

I OU a Beatn
05-08-2011, 09:49 PM
FPC7J-9TG7V-Y2RMJ-R7GHW-VRRPZ
FJ9CK-KFCDV-QPK7H-7KKK2-R2FVZ
CHFT4-4WW2T-42TFD-GW7X4-FTQHZ

Let me know who gets 'em. Yes, you need Live Gold.

JBHuskers
05-08-2011, 10:51 PM
FPC7J-9TG7V-Y2RMJ-R7GHW-VRRPZ
FJ9CK-KFCDV-QPK7H-7KKK2-R2FVZ
CHFT4-4WW2T-42TFD-GW7X4-FTQHZ

Let me know who gets 'em. Yes, you need Live Gold.

Damn you got 3 :D I only got one....shipped it over to cdj.

I OU a Beatn
05-08-2011, 10:59 PM
What can I say? Bad Ass Mother Fucker was phrased after me. ;)

:D:D:D

Seriously, though. After these 3 get redeemed, I will have gotten about 10 people into the beta. Hell, I got myself and 3 others into the private beta before it even launched for the Bulletstorm people. I think I did my community service when it comes to the Gears 3 beta.

I OU a Beatn
05-08-2011, 11:02 PM
I'll hop in with you guys here in a few minutes if you're going to be playing. I don't have my head set with me, but still...we can't pass up the chance to set the record for the 3 biggest scrubs to enter a match at once. :D

JBHuskers
05-08-2011, 11:30 PM
I'll hop in with you guys here in a few minutes if you're going to be playing. I don't have my head set with me, but still...we can't pass up the chance to set the record for the 3 biggest scrubs to enter a match at once. :D

Not sure if CDJ is going to play, I think he's just downloading it before he heads to bed....I however will be up another hour or so...

cdj
05-08-2011, 11:36 PM
Not sure if CDJ is going to play, I think he's just downloading it before he heads to bed....I however will be up another hour or so...

Yeah, mine will take a while to DL but I hope to hop on this week and play the beta. I still need to play the first two Gears; I got them cheap but have to to play. :(

JBHuskers
05-08-2011, 11:40 PM
I got through most of the first one, but lost my data, so eventually I'll have to get both stories in quick before 3 comes out.

I OU a Beatn
05-08-2011, 11:55 PM
The first one doesn't have online co-op, does it? I know I need to play through the campaign as Dom to get a bunch of achievements for that.

JBHuskers
05-09-2011, 03:07 PM
I'm 11 matches away from unlocking the Gold Retro Lancer. Then I need to have 100 kills with that Gold Lancer to unlock it in retail...hope I can accomplish that by Sunday because I suck :D

JBHuskers
05-09-2011, 03:08 PM
The first one doesn't have online co-op, does it? I know I need to play through the campaign as Dom to get a bunch of achievements for that.

I don't think it does, but if it does, let me know and I'll roll with you...does 2 have online co-op?

I OU a Beatn
05-09-2011, 03:16 PM
It wont be hard. With the Retro Lancer, use it like a shotgun. If they get really close, just hip fire and spray all over the place. The only lame thing is that you chew threw bullets with that thing and just downing your opponent isn't enough, you have to actually kill them with it. Luckily, though, Retro Lancer Charge kills count towards that and they are extremely easy to do and rack up kills with. I got the 100 kills in one night and I'd bet over 60 of them were from charging.

Just looked in the manual and Gears 1 does support online co-op, so that's sweet. I know for a fact Gears 2 does, you get a cool little gamer pic for beating it in online co-op. Did you ever beat Gears 1 on insane? If not, we can do that. I did a long time ago, but I don't remember it being overbearingly hard. It would get you some gamer points at the very least.

JBHuskers
05-09-2011, 03:20 PM
Nope I was on normal diff and got to Act VI before I lost my data.

JBHuskers
05-12-2011, 09:45 AM
Was out last night, but on Tuesday I got to 90 matches and funny thing, I started going on a roll....one thing that helped was the fact that we got in a glitched room where it was only two on two and the two on the other side quit so it was me an another guy against two bots :D so in just half a night I got up to 32 kills. I have nothing going on tonight and tomorrow so I should have it by tomorrow I'd think, even with my shitty skill.

JBHuskers
05-12-2011, 12:49 PM
Beatn, did some looking and found this. (http://digg.com/news/gaming/Gears_Of_War_Xbox_Live_Full_Co_Op_Play_Confirmed)

JBHuskers
05-13-2011, 08:48 AM
Dammit, I was so worn out from the KC trip on Wednesday that I passed out from 6:30PM to 7:40AM :D

But I think I'm just going to take it easy tonight, so I'll have to hit the beta hard and get those 68 more kills.

JBHuskers
05-15-2011, 12:59 AM
I am now "golden" when it comes to the retro lancer :nod:

JBHuskers
05-16-2011, 08:56 AM
Limited ($69.99) and Epic ($149.99) Editions announced. (http://www.gamefocus.ca/?nav=new&nid=14106)

http://www.gamefocus.ca/UserFiles/Image/Epic/Gears3/LCE_GoW3.jpg

http://www.gamefocus.ca/UserFiles/Image/Epic/Gears3/Epic-GoW3.jpg

The beta program may have ended this morning but Epic Games and Microsoft had a nice surprise for the Gears Nation: the reveal of the Limited and Epic Editions.

Shipped in a special packaging, the Limited Edition ($79.99) will pack a COG flag and some art. As for the Epic Edition, customers interested in dropping $150 will get an art book and a Marcus Fenix statue in addition to all contents found in the Limited Edition.

Gears of War 3 launches worldwide on September 20th, exclusively for Xbox 360.

JBHuskers
05-16-2011, 08:57 AM
That statue is cool, but not $150 cool.

JBHuskers
05-17-2011, 01:41 PM
These guys won a match in the Gears 3 beta without firing a single shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=F_hYM4fWNGo

I OU a Beatn
05-17-2011, 02:43 PM
Yeah, that Epic Edition looks cool. Kind of pricey though. I doubt I'm picking it up anyway. Towards the end of the beta, I couldn't play a single full game without quitting because I was unhappy with how the game played. I'll definitely get it once it goes on sale to finish up the story, but I'm just not even remotely interested in the multiplayer anymore. I'm finding I'm that way with a lot of games these days.

JBHuskers
05-18-2011, 09:18 AM
1.29M were in the beta.

I OU a Beatn
05-28-2011, 04:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oc26z4dBJv8

Wow.

JBHuskers
06-06-2011, 12:18 PM
Mech Suits in Gears 3...nice!

I OU a Beatn
06-06-2011, 10:44 PM
Gears 3 console revealed today, and it's bad ass. $400 gets you the custom themed 360, two themed controllers, and the standard edition of the game.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f45/bugzams/35554_la.jpg

Needless to say, this will be mine. :D

morsdraconis
06-06-2011, 10:47 PM
:smh:

cdj
08-15-2011, 07:17 PM
Epic Wants to Ban Those Who Spoil Gears of War 3

As reported by Eurogamer, developer Epic has announced a rather extreme stance on gamers looking to spoil any plot details from the highly anticipated Gears of War 3 before it hits store shelves. After an early build of the game was leaked onto the Internet last month, a few videos of the game's campaign have popped up online, spoiling select parts of the game's story for people who've stumbled upon them.

In an interview with Edge, executive Rod Fergusson noted that Epic is "extremely diligent about getting that stuff taken down" and has "issued a call to fans to not perpetuate it." He went on to say he "[doesn't] think everybody's aware of the potential repercussions of those types of actions."

He went on to clarify his statements to Eurogamer, saying that the developer has "a banning system built into [their] stuff so [they] can go in and identify certain people." He adds, "Some people aren't smart about what they do. They'll be disappointed on 20th September when they can't get in and can't play. They may be banned."

Wanting to protect the integrity of a game you've sunk so much time and effort into is certainly understandable (Fergusson even recounts a particularly unfortunate incident that sees an unruly 'net denizen shouting spoilers in all caps during a video chat with the developer), but how do you guys feel about the possibility of being locked out of a game that you bought fair and square? An eye for an eye, or "You spoil our story, we spoil your fun?"

Link (http://www.gamepro.com/article/news/222064/epic-wants-to-ban-those-who-spoil-gears-of-war-3/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+GameProNews+%28GamePro.com+Da ily+News%29)

I OU a Beatn
08-15-2011, 07:24 PM
Ha, serves 'em right.

I OU a Beatn
08-16-2011, 10:36 AM
Epic revealed if you got the Veteran achievement in Gears 2(level 100 and win on all 4 snow blind map pack maps), you get instant access to gold skins for all the weapons, including the exclusive Veteran achievement-only Gold Gnasher. Rest assured, I'll be rocking that with pride. I've always wanted a Gold Gnasher. :D

JBHuskers
09-08-2011, 02:12 PM
Ice T posted this video yesterday....unboxing of the Gears 3 Console and special Lancer. Pretty cool shit here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7RwoaiMFjA

DariusLock
09-08-2011, 03:16 PM
Got a free XBOX 360 (If Amazon ever gives it to me!) for ordering a laptop. Maybe I won't seel the XBOX now haha. BTW....that's the best unboxing I've ever seen. You can tell Ice really likes this game haha.

JBHuskers
09-08-2011, 03:25 PM
Got a free XBOX 360 (If Amazon ever gives it to me!) for ordering a laptop. Maybe I won't seel the XBOX now haha. BTW....that's the best unboxing I've ever seen. You can tell Ice really likes this game haha.

Yeah that was a really cool vid he did. That Lancer is so badass. I'd love to hang that on my wall.

I OU a Beatn
09-12-2011, 05:26 PM
One more week!

JBHuskers
09-12-2011, 05:26 PM
One more week!

:nod:

JBHuskers
09-15-2011, 04:18 PM
Metareviews posted by Joystiq (they gave it 5/5)...
(http://www.joystiq.com/2011/09/15/metareview-gears-of-war-3/)

If anyone is getting this Tuesday look for me online.

I OU a Beatn
09-15-2011, 04:48 PM
I'll be on all the time. This game is going to destroy my social life for it's first two weeks. I absolutely CAN NOT WAIT to play on all the new maps while rocking my gold Gnasher.

bdoughty
09-18-2011, 02:58 PM
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=445288

Epic to charge $45 for Weapon Skins in Gears 3

Available on Day One:

Each Set Static - 240 points
Each Set Animated - 320 points
Weapon Collections - 1200 points (x5 Weapons)
Launch Collection - 3600 points (Every Skin Every Weapon)

Set = All five starting weapons
Collections = 5 collections of 21 skins, each containing every skin for the Lancer, Retro Lancer, Hammerburst, Gnasher or Sawed of Shotgun

http://i.imgur.com/SGwwg.png

This was just announced on Epic's official live stream by Gears lead - Rod Fergusson. I will update the OP when the official post goes out.

These skins CAN NOT be unlocked, and must be purchased as DLC to access them. Unfortunately, the skins are on the disc but the user must pay to unlock them.

The Gears of War Season Pass DOES NOT include the weapon skins so you are looking at an additional $30 for the downloadable maps.

JBHuskers
09-18-2011, 03:11 PM
Yet EA Sports gets ripped all the time :fp: hello it's happening everywhere!

I OU a Beatn
09-18-2011, 03:49 PM
Everyone is taking this way out of context. It's engulfed the Epic forums the past two or three days. Who in the fuck is going to want to buy every single skin in the game? If they want to, then that's their business. For most people, they're only going to want a skin or two, which equates to about 50-75 cents per skin, which isn't bad at all. For even MORE people, they're going to be content with the skins they can unlock in the game and don't even care about the purchasable skins. I will fall in to the latter category. People will be feeling the wrath of my Gold Gnasher and that's all I care about. :D

For the record, I also don't understand people who bitch about EA Sports' DLC. It is worthless? In my opinion, yes. Do you have to buy it? No. That should end all whining right there. The simple fact of the matter is that people like to bitch.

JBHuskers
09-18-2011, 04:23 PM

I like the flame skins and of course the gold skins....other than that, it depends. I may buy one or two, but who would want to buy them all? :D

bdoughty
09-18-2011, 04:35 PM

I like the flame skins and of course the gold skins....other than that, it depends. I may buy one or two, but who would want to buy them all? :D

Oh you would be completely shocked at how many would.

Never forget
http://kotaku.com/5695250/not-its-own-video-game-not-a-real-card-collection-yet-more-than-both

In fact, there are actually 35 of these big spenders - players who have each paid more than $1,000 in real currency to snap up virtual packs of cards in Madden Ultimate Team, a multiplayer team management mode in its second year EA Sports' NFL series. Only, they never put them into a game. They never play a game. Their game, for all anyone knows, is completing these collections. It may be the only reason they bought Madden NFL 11 in the first place.

I OU a Beatn
09-18-2011, 08:57 PM
Yeah, I'm sure there will be plenty of people who buy them all. People are nuts. I sold my Halo Reach Legendary Flaming Helmet code(made your character have a flaming helmet when playing multiplayer) for $80 on eBay. I wonder if they realize they could pay that much extra from the normal game and get the code and a bunch of extra stuff. I'm glad I have some common sense.

DariusLock
09-20-2011, 04:21 PM
SOOOOO?

AustinWolv
09-20-2011, 05:09 PM
I'll be on all the time. This game is going to destroy my social life for it's first two weeks. I absolutely CAN NOT WAIT to play on all the new maps.

I hear that.

JBHuskers
09-20-2011, 06:02 PM
I wanted to play on all the new maps, but guess what....first three matches.....maps that were in the beta :fp: I guess these 12-year old Code Red drinking fools were more concerned with padding their k/d.

SmoothPancakes
09-20-2011, 06:09 PM
Did you really expect anything less from the anal warts of society's ass that these douchebags make up?

morsdraconis
09-20-2011, 06:30 PM
Did you really expect anything less from the anal warts of society's ass that these douchebags make up?

:+1:

ESPECIALLY the fuckin' people that play GoW. :smh:

I OU a Beatn
09-20-2011, 08:09 PM
Don't play ranked, just play quick match. It's quicker and it gives you a different map every time, no vote. LOL @ using " people that play Gears of War" as a stereotype. I think that's just a tad bit of a stretch. :D

SmoothPancakes
09-20-2011, 08:12 PM
Don't play ranked, just play quick match. It's quicker and it gives you a different map every time, no vote. LOL @ using " people that play Gears of War" as a stereotype. I think that's just a tad bit of a stretch. :D

Yeah, it's pretty much every FPS game, not just Gears.

DariusLock
09-20-2011, 09:06 PM
Or every game for that matter, when it comes to sports games you got glitchers...they usually don't whore the mic. tho.

SmoothPancakes
09-20-2011, 09:14 PM
Or every game for that matter, when it comes to sports games you got glitchers...they usually don't whore the mic. tho.

Good point. I wasn't thinking that far outside the box, but very valid. Thankfully, of the multiplayer in sports games that I play, I say to hell with the head to head games, and stick to stuff like Online Team Play in NHL and My Player pickup games and such in NBA 2K. I stick with the stuff where people are randomly tossed into games and play as a team, so you pretty much eliminate most of that bullshit that takes place in head to head games.

DariusLock
09-20-2011, 09:31 PM
That's all I played in NBA live

JBHuskers
09-20-2011, 11:55 PM

Can you still rank up in quick match? What's the difference really?

JBHuskers
09-20-2011, 11:56 PM
Played some Horde when I got home. Five of us started, and four of us played for quite a while. Connection went out after our third attempt at Wave 20. Damn that shit gets intense.

I OU a Beatn
09-21-2011, 07:11 AM
Can you still rank up in quick match? What's the difference really?

There really isn't much of a difference. You rank up the same. In quick match, you play with the same people and when a round is over, it automatically takes you to the next map, so there's a lot less waiting. If someone quits, it just replaces them with bots until someone else joins.

JBHuskers
09-21-2011, 08:18 AM
There really isn't much of a difference. You rank up the same. In quick match, you play with the same people and when a round is over, it automatically takes you to the next map, so there's a lot less waiting. If someone quits, it just replaces them with bots until someone else joins.

I see. I was kinda wondering why the numbers were the way they were last night between quick and ranked.

AustinWolv
09-21-2011, 11:20 AM
Played some Horde when I got home. Five of us started, and four of us played for quite a while. Connection went out after our third attempt at Wave 20. Damn that shit gets intense.
Very much so.
I played with just a single friend in Horde2.0, and we only got to Wave14 or 15.

Observations from me and him:

1. Income in waves 1-4 seems to be relatively stingy. Money seemed to begin rolling in a lot better starting in wave 5.
2. Bonus waves seem entirely random. Both when they appear and what must be done in them.
3. Multiple command posts do appear to help with wave 10. Unfortunately, they’re expensive ($2,000). But the second one I opened up on Gridlock, gave me access to several more turrets as well as barriers. The pair of turrets I had over on that side of the map were instrumental in wiping out the rock worms and helped a lot with the Baby Corpsers.
4. I dumped a lot of money into turrets, last night, and haven’t yet gotten to the second level for them.
5. I haven’t yet seen Silverbacks or sentry guns in Horde. I did play a campaign level with Silverbacks but haven’t yet gotten the hang of their operation.
6. I killed four Rock Worms, last night. I noticed, in that very small sample – so I could be incorrect, that they stop moving/attacking so long as you are putting fire on them. This makes turrets the best thing to use against them. In the absence of turrets we must remember to stagger our Lancer fire so that two players concentrating fire on them are not reloading at the same time.
7. I didn’t get a Mulcher with more than 100 rounds in it, last night. Did either of you?
8. The Vulcan is, quite literally, a bullet hose. There’s a feeder belt attached to the back of it which feeds it ammo from a crank operated ammo box. This anchors the player using the Vulcan in place, limited by the length and freedom of movement allowed by the feeder belt. The ammo box can be picked up by another player and carried around to allow the shooter to reposition himself. However, based on the observations made, the weapon cannot be fired again until the second player has returned the ammo crate to the ground *AND* cranked it back up. Also, it looks immensely cool from another player’s point of view when it’s being fired. Oh and it’s no good at long range.
9. Butcher cleavers can now be picked up and used. I haven’t yet. But I read that in advance of the release and noticed it during play.
10. Butcher cleavers now do MUCH more damage than they did in Horde 1.0. Seriously. Don’t let fat boy get a second swing on you.
11. Butchers are heftier bullet sponges than they were in Horde 1.0.
12. Theron Guards now come in a Butcher cleaver carrying variety. This was a nasty little discovery. They’re faster, meaner and don’t make all the noise that you get when a Butcher approaches. Watch out for these !@%)(*@^#)(*@&$#ers.
13. Boomer accuracy in Waves 1-10 sucks.
14. Boomer accuracy in Wave 14 IMPROVES IMMENSELY.
15. Shriekers. Oh my god the Shriekers. NO PLEASE NO NOT THE SHRIEKERS. Ugh. I’ve only seen these irritating things on the Thrash Ball map, thus far. They *look* like floating/flying video cameras. Only they’re not as friendly and they’re far more irritating. They sport two machine guns, make a lot of noise and ugh just make them stop. They like to appear in groups. Shotguns work well against them.
16. Walls no longer hinder Wretch movement. They will jump/climb walls and appear in our midst. Gotta watch out for this. Surprised the crap out of me when they got me.

I racked up more points/money using the Boom-Shot and getting cluster kills. I think you also get more points for using the Lancer Chainsaw that just the Lancer.
The problems I had, too many items on the ground when we had to revive someone. I kept picking things up or never getting a prompt to do the revive. It’s almost like they made the “Hot Spot” on revive smaller.

Shield re-use was MUCH worse than the original. It worked, but the distance I could put one in the ground from another object was greater. I tried to put one behind a razor wire barricade and it wasn’t much use since it was too far back.

I think their prices are too steep for some of the items you get. 1500 for Razor Wire!?!? 500 for spikes?!?! Then the repairs… ouch…

I like the fact that when I paid 900 for a reload it was a FULL/MAX reload and not a partial like the free ones in the original.

I noticed they have $$ unlocks for x number of kills using a single weapon and it’s on multiple weapons. X number of kills using the Lancer gets you $10,000. Etc.

MUCH harder in the lower waves than I expected. Even at Normal Difficulty.

I feel the Tickers were a bit faster and their path finding skills much better. IE. Less stupid.

I do NOT like that you have to “HOLD BUTTON WHICHEVER” to do something… I’m fine with holding it for variations on executions. But now having to HOLD “X” to pick up an ammo crate or weapon just sucks.

I OU a Beatn
09-21-2011, 01:15 PM
Having to hold to pick up ammo or a weapon is because of a fuck up with the multiplayer in Gears 2. If there was a down but not out teammate near ammo and you tried to revive him, your character would pick up the ammo every time and it was SO annoying.

JBHuskers
09-21-2011, 01:22 PM
Beatn...what the hell is your avatar? :D it looks like the Grinch on acid.

gschwendt
09-21-2011, 01:28 PM
Beatn...what the hell is your avatar? :D it looks like the Grinch on acid.It's a partial skull just above the mouth... I had a really hard time figuring it out for a while as well but eventually you can see the eye sockets & nose.

JBHuskers
09-21-2011, 01:28 PM
It's a partial skull just above the mouth... I had a really hard time figuring it out for a while as well but eventually you can see the eye sockets & nose.

Oh now I see it :D at first it looked like a jacked up camel.

JBHuskers
09-21-2011, 01:30 PM
Very much so.
I played with just a single friend in Horde2.0, and we only got to Wave14 or 15.

Observations from me and him:

That was a damn good breakdown of Horde. We got to 20 with 4 of us, we were in Old Town, so we holed up on the opposite side of the beach (a spawn point)....but in the end too many Boomers broke in and just raped us.

AustinWolv
09-21-2011, 01:47 PM
Oh now I see it :D at first it looked like a jacked up camel.
LOL, I thought it looked like a messed-up wolf thing. Took a minute to see the skull face.

The main thing that bugs me thus far with Horde2 is that 'teammate down' icon is really easy to miss on your screen.

JBHuskers
09-21-2011, 01:50 PM
The best part of Gears of War 3's single player campaign (not a spoiler)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-uZj-e7qxs

AustinWolv
09-21-2011, 02:23 PM
HAHAHA! Good find, JB.

I OU a Beatn
09-21-2011, 02:31 PM
It's a partial skull just above the mouth... I had a really hard time figuring it out for a while as well but eventually you can see the eye sockets & nose.

It's the skull for the Call of Duty Elite thing. I thought it looked cool. Definitely not as scary as JB's avatar. Gets me every time. :D

JBHuskers
09-21-2011, 02:57 PM
You got that wrong man, man. I'm The Dude.

JBHuskers
10-04-2011, 10:27 AM
Did anyone get the Season Pass for DLC? I'm thinking about it since I just got 4000 points for $35 at buy.com. So basically the pack will cost me $15 instead of $30 with the $ I saved from that deal on points.

I OU a Beatn
10-04-2011, 02:08 PM
I got Season Pass the day Gears came out. There's going to be 4 packs equaling $40, and the Season Pass is $30, so it was an easy choice for me. If you plan on getting all the DLC, it's worth it, plus you get some free weapon skins.

Did you read the DLC announcement? It sounds a lot to me like the maps will only be playable in Horde, Beast, and private matches. If that's the case, I will be extremely ticked off. I, and everyone else, is awaiting clarification from Epic/MS. I really hope I'm wrong. Introducing maps that can't even be played on matchmaking would be a complete joke.

JBHuskers
10-04-2011, 02:15 PM
I got Season Pass the day Gears came out. There's going to be 4 packs equaling $40, and the Season Pass is $30, so it was an easy choice for me. If you plan on getting all the DLC, it's worth it, plus you get some free weapon skins.

Did you read the DLC announcement? It sounds a lot to me like the maps will only be playable in Horde, Beast, and private matches. If that's the case, I will be extremely ticked off. I, and everyone else, is awaiting clarification from Epic/MS. I really hope I'm wrong. Introducing maps that can't even be played on matchmaking would be a complete joke.

Hmmmmm.

Well I'm still going to get the pass regardless once that points card comes from Buy.com.

JBHuskers
10-10-2011, 10:01 AM
From Joystiq: (http://www.joystiq.com/2011/10/10/gears-of-war-3-causing-some-xboxes-to-grind-to-a-halt/)

Gears of War 3 players are flooding the Epic forums with complaints of freezing issues, which occur when players attempt to load a game mode. Specifically, it seems to be limited to splitscreen Horde play with two profiles -- when the glitch hits, it permanently alters one of the profiles, making it impossible to enter any game mode. So ... that's not a great bug.

Epic is aware of it; in fact, Epic rep Rykard posted a questionnaire attempting to nail down the exact issue. We're checking in with Epic for an ETA on the fix. Until then ... try not to play Horde mode in splitscreen.

JBHuskers
10-12-2011, 12:37 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=wta5Icmc9so

I OU a Beatn
10-15-2011, 10:17 PM
Did anyone here actually get this? I've yet to see someone from here playing it. :D

If you have it, by all means, send me an invite. Playing this game with randoms is just asking for a headache.

oweb26
10-15-2011, 11:06 PM
LOL I have it, Ill invite if I see you on when I am playing it.

JBHuskers
10-16-2011, 04:20 PM
Did anyone here actually get this? I've yet to see someone from here playing it. :D

If you have it, by all means, send me an invite. Playing this game with randoms is just asking for a headache.

I've definitely got it and bought the Season Pass. Just haven't been on it lately with all sorts of things going on. Since this is the last Gears (well at least in this trilogy), I'm sure it's not going anywhere anytime soon.

AustinWolv
10-18-2011, 01:42 PM
I've definitely got it and bought the Season Pass. Just haven't been on it lately with all sorts of things going on. Since this is the last Gears (well at least in this trilogy), I'm sure it's not going anywhere anytime soon.

JB stole my post. I'll let him keep it.

JBHuskers
10-18-2011, 02:55 PM
JB stole my post. I'll let him keep it.

Stole your post, yet I posted it TWO days ago. :D

AustinWolv
10-18-2011, 05:13 PM
Stole your post, yet I posted it TWO days ago. :D
I thought of it 4 days ago when discussing GoW3 with a friend. ;)

(The message was eerily about 98% exactly what I was explaining to him....)

:)

I OU a Beatn
10-21-2011, 11:18 PM
I beat the 5 main acts on Insane difficulty in 8 hours and only died 25 times throughout the game, which is really good considering it was much harder than Gears 1 or 2. On Act 6, the boss level, I just about snapped the disc in half. It is so unbelievably hard. I died over 70 times before I was FINALLY about to beat it tonight. I'm sure CliffyB was just laughing his ass off when designing that fucking bullshit ending level.

JBHuskers
10-21-2011, 11:24 PM
:D

AustinWolv
10-24-2011, 03:28 PM
I beat the 5 main acts on Insane difficulty in 8 hours and only died 25 times throughout the game, which is really good considering it was much harder than Gears 1 or 2. On Act 6, the boss level, I just about snapped the disc in half. It is so unbelievably hard. I died over 70 times before I was FINALLY about to beat it tonight. I'm sure CliffyB was just laughing his ass off when designing that fucking bullshit ending level.

Holy crap. Been playing through Insane in co-op with a friend or two. Damn, we die a lot. So easy to die on that level. Not looking forward to the final boss -> I actually thought that final boss was one of the weakest parts of any of the 3 games.

I OU a Beatn
10-24-2011, 04:22 PM
I breezed through everything until the final boss, and that was ridiculous. Are you guys playing the co-op campaign or Arcade? I've heard it's much easier in Arcade because you can use mutators like infinite ammo and it apparently really helps.

You going for Seriously 3.0, Austin?

AustinWolv
10-24-2011, 04:42 PM
Playing on arcade because there is an achievement tied to that or so my friend told me. I honestly haven't looked. I don't think he has any mutators enabled.

I don't even have Seriously2.0 yet, so if I get 3.0, it'll be like...oh....a couple years down the road. LOL. ;) I don't really play any online deathmatch/head2head play either, so if anything is tied to that, I won't get it.

I OU a Beatn
10-27-2011, 02:18 PM
This weekend in Gears of War 3 we have lots of fun surprises leading up to and including Halloween. Since this is the last weekend in ‘Epictober,’ we wanted to make it big! This #GearsWeekend starts Friday at 9:00 AM Eastern with a special “BoooooomSnipes” playlist for TDM. In this playlist, the default weapon loadout will be changed to, you guessed it, Boomshot and Snipers. Weapon drops in the maps will be a mix of the two. We’ve had a lot of fun and carnage with this during playtests and we think you will too! The event ends Tuesday morning at 9:00 AM EST. NOTE: You may need to restart your console to see the changes.

Gears of War 3 Halloween Weekend BoomSnipesFinally, Monday is Halloween, and to end our event, we have a cosmetic surprise in store for you, so keep a level head! Don’t forget to grab some Halloween Candy and settle in for the surprise, starting Monday October 31st at 9:00 AM EST. The four day Halloween event runs through Tuesday, November 1st at 9:00 AM EST, ending just in time for the release of the Gears of War 3 Horde Command Pack.

Let us know what you think and share your stories in the comments below. For fans on Twitter, join in on the Gears of War 3 and Halloween Weekend conversation by using the hashtag #GearsWeekend.

That's going to be fun as hell.

I OU a Beatn
12-21-2011, 11:24 AM
Today Epic announced the new DLC pack, named Fenix Rising, which will be releasing January 17.

MAPS

Escalation - Haldane Hall has been the home of the Fenix family for countless generations. But the only history that matters to Marcus’s are his memories of warm summer evenings spent with his mother, Elain, relaxing in the estate’s gardens. Sadly, all the estate’s history and beauty was lost when the Locust destroyed it in an attempt to kidnap his father.

Academy - The lineage of the Fenix family can be traced back along a distinguished line of military officers. Officer training at the Oracle Academy was simply the expected path for Marcus, and he had visited the grounds many times in expectation that he would walk the same path as his ancestors. But it was not to be, and Marcus broke with tradition to be with his best friends Dom and Carlos. Like any number of fine Seran traditions, the Academy is now lost to the invasion of the Locust Horde.

Slab- Convicted for insubordination and treason, Marcus was incarcerated in Jacinto Maximum Security Prison. Known as “The Slab”, this prison is not a correctional facility – it’s a place where Sera’s worst offenders are locked up and forgotten. The inmates are brutal, parole is not an option, and the average life expectancy is about two years. But that was before the Locust showed up, and what couldn’t get worse, suddenly did. Now your life expectancy there is around 2 minutes.

Anvil - The fortress of Anvegad was called Anvil Gate because its impenetrable walls were forged in the fires of war. Huge cannons sat atop battlements that guarded sprawling walls running the line of the UIR borders. Marcus went there to find Hoffman, and they both thought that Anvil Gate would offer protection from the incoming forces of Locust and Lambent. They were wrong, and little remains other than the ruined shell of a once mighty fortress.

Depths - The excessive opulence of Azura defied all normal reasoning. But Adam Fenix could see the cracks in the veneer of splendor from the moment he arrived at this underwater processing center. And all that beauty mattered not at all once he was held captive by the Locust. Out of options, he had to find a way to contact Marcus, and finally reveal the truths he’d been keeping to himself for all these many years.

Character Skins
COG
Recruit Clayton - Clayton was born a Gear, grew up a Gear, and on the very day he became eligible, he signed himself up to become the capable, confident, and devoted Gear he’d always known he could be.

Thrashball Cole - Special Limited Edition - The Cole Train prefers to take the most direct path to the Locust Horde in any situation. What he lacks in finesse, he makes up in raw energy.

Locust
Savage Kantus- Special Limted Edition - The Savage Kantus were profoundly impacted by the loss of the Hollow. They have reverted to a primal, shamanistic state, and their battle cries have taken a dark, melancholy turn. Few sounds are as terrifying to human ears.

Savage Marauder Drone - Locust Marauders were the first to form any sort of organization outside of the Hollow – if their brutal infighting and bloodthirsty raiding parties could truly be called organized.
New Systems

Re-Upping - Essentially a "prestige" System. Players can "re-enlist" and being their rank from 1 again after reaching level 100. All unlocks and Custom Items remain. Additionally Re-Upping can grant you access to new Weapon Skins! - You can Re-Up through the Four Tiers of Colors. Bronze>Red>Green>Gold.

Every Re-Up earns players a new weapon skin obtainable only through Re-upping.

Re-Up Plasma - Animated Plasma in GOLD!
Re-Up Omen - Shiny Red Omen!
Re-Up Electric - Animated Golden Electric Shocks!