PDA

View Full Version : Madden NFL 12 - Cover Predictions

Details
02-18-2011, 04:23 PM
An obligatory thread! Plus something relatively light to counter the recent exclusivity news.

So who do you think will appear on the cover of Madden NFL 12?

steelerfan
02-18-2011, 04:35 PM
Hopefully Brady, Manning, and Sanchez.

So that they all miss 2011. :)

Maybe Flacco too. ;)

JeffHCross
02-18-2011, 05:51 PM
Rodgers seems like a given.

morsdraconis
02-18-2011, 07:30 PM
Rodgers seems like a given.

+1

Absolutely. If they don't, they need to pull their heads out of the collective ass.

cdj
02-18-2011, 08:01 PM
I'd say Rodgers is the favorite unless he wants too much money or wants to avoid the Madden curse. :P

CLW
02-19-2011, 06:03 AM
Rodgers seems to be the given. However, if they want to emphasize defense they could go with Charles Woodson, Ed Reed, Troy Polamalu.

steelerfan
02-19-2011, 06:55 AM
Rodgers seems to be the given. However, if they want to emphasize defense they could go with Charles Woodson, Ed Reed, Troy Polamalu.

I doubt Troy would be picked again. Reed doesn't seem like coverboy material. Woodson would be a good chice though.

Details
02-19-2011, 01:26 PM
There's a good chance it could be Clay Matthews. Madden 12 may want to emphasize defensive improvements.

JeffHCross
02-19-2011, 02:11 PM
And if they were going to emphasize defense, then Clay is a much better choice than Woodson. Woodson's too long in the tooth, imo.

ram29jackson
02-20-2011, 11:45 PM
Favre if he retires- Clay- or Rodgers

steelerfan
02-21-2011, 12:12 AM
Favre

Unless there's a new Penis Mode, that won't happen.

ram29jackson
02-21-2011, 10:18 AM
Unless there's a new Penis Mode, that won't happen.

oohh, for Christ's sake, get over the Super Bowl loss already :P

I'll see your Favre and raise you a Roethlisberger :P

steelerfan
02-21-2011, 11:02 AM
oohh, for Christ's sake, get over the Super Bowl loss already :P

I'll see your Favre and raise you a Roethlisberger :P

First, Favre had nothing to do with any Steelers' loss. Second, it's worth noting that I called Charles Woodson "a good choice" (you see, it has NOTHING to do with any Steelers' loss). And finally, I never recommended Ben. You, however, did recommended Brett and his purple helmet. :P

skipwondah33
02-21-2011, 01:56 PM
My guesses are

Rodgers
Brady
Rivers
Foster (wildcard)

jaymo76
02-26-2011, 07:02 PM
Well madden has stressed fixing zone d this year so I will say it's a DB. Let's go with my boy Namdi Asomugha

Paakaa10
03-14-2011, 02:25 PM
Not that the placeholder cover art means anything, but this image has been going up at various retail sites for Madden NFL 12.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71oMxai2HsL._AA1000_.jpg

skipwondah33
03-14-2011, 03:20 PM
Could be Aaron Rogers..he's balsy enough to not care about a curse

jaymo76
03-14-2011, 08:39 PM
So just throwing it out there... BUT... if the NFLPA HAS DISBANDED, does Madden still have the right to their image? It is the NFL and the NFLPA that give Madden the rights. However, with no union and players locked out, how does Madden still have the ability to use player likeness/jerseys, etc.?????

Paakaa10
03-14-2011, 09:10 PM
So just throwing it out there... BUT... if the NFLPA HAS DISBANDED, does Madden still have the right to their image? It is the NFL and the NFLPA that give Madden the rights. However, with no union and players locked out, how does Madden still have the ability to use player likeness/jerseys, etc.?????

In a word: Yes.

Madden NFL 12 will still be released in August 2011, it will still feature all 32 NFL teams, and it will still feature all of the players, regardless of whether or not a CBA has been installed for the 2011-2012 season.

Numerous Tweets from members of the EA SPORTS development teams and marketing staff have confirmed this, and there have been a few stories in the video game news sites making the rounds.

steelerfan
03-14-2011, 09:50 PM
In a word: Yes.

Madden NFL 12 will still be released in August 2011, it will still feature all 32 NFL teams, and it will still feature all of the players, regardless of whether or not a CBA has been installed for the 2011-2012 season.

Numerous Tweets from members of the EA SPORTS development teams and marketing staff have confirmed this, and there have been a few stories in the video game news sites making the rounds.

With no union history to use as a guideline, will they be able to use the likenesses of rookies? If so, how? What is the work-around?

Paakaa10
03-14-2011, 10:59 PM
With no union history to use as a guideline, will they be able to use the likenesses of rookies? If so, how? What is the work-around?

From what I gathered in the "Twitterverse," all players drafted this year will be placed on the teams that they were picked by for Madden NFL 12, regardless of whether or not a season is played. I don't know exactly how the logistics work out for that, but that's my understanding of what will occur if a new CBA isn't in place by the time game code goes final. Don't take my word as the absolute truth here, but I read it on more than one occasion on Twitter from people involved.

Paakaa10
03-14-2011, 11:40 PM
Here is a story from Kotaku writer Owen Good summarizing the Madden NFL 12 situation and linking to appropriate messages to clarify that the game will see full release--CBA or not--in August with all teams, players, and rookies:

http://kotaku.com/#!5781272/imminent-nfl-lockout-does-not-threaten-madden-12s-release

JeffHCross
03-15-2011, 06:57 PM
Broken image. Those Amazon images don't work for some reason.

JeffHCross
03-15-2011, 07:02 PM
Here is a story from Kotaku writer Owen Good summarizing the Madden NFL 12 situation and linking to appropriate messages to clarify that the game will see full release--CBA or not--in August with all teams, players, and rookiesThe problem ... is this:

While the NFLPA has decertified, evidently its agreement with EA Sports still provides for the use of the group license that allows EA Sports to use real players on the teams. Team and league symbols are licensed separately and also not threatened by the labor unrest.I realize that EA has no reason to lie, and no reason to say that they'll release with full rosters if it's uncertain. But no one, from EA or otherwise, has out and out said "We can still use the players because ________". Until they do, I'm still uneasy about the whole thing. No Players Association means no deal with the Players Association. It's possible they have conditions in their contract that cover it, but until they say it as such, I'm going to be at least leaning up against the fence, if not sitting on it.

CLW
03-16-2011, 06:20 AM

They would have to get the permission individually from each of the players most likely.

Details
03-16-2011, 11:27 AM
They would have to get the permission individually from each of the players most likely.

The rookies will be in the game. Once they are drafted, they are part of the union. However, the union cannot engage in collective bargaining on their behalf.

jaymo76
03-17-2011, 12:26 AM
The rookies will be in the game. Once they are drafted, they are part of the union. However, the union cannot engage in collective bargaining on their behalf.

Right but the Union as you put it has decertified and therefore no longer exists and cannot speak on behalf of the players.

JeffHCross
03-19-2011, 09:37 AM
I realize that EA has no reason to lie, and no reason to say that they'll release with full rosters if it's uncertain. But no one, from EA or otherwise, has out and out said "We can still use the players because ________". Until they do, I'm still uneasy about the whole thing.
Finally got the NFLPA answer, courtesy IGN:

Those who love playing football on their console as much (or maybe even more) than watching the real deal on TV can rejoice. Despite the current labor strife, which has seen the NFL Player's Association decertified and the owners lockout the players, Madden NFL 12 will hit stores in August.

For those curious how this is possible, the licensing arm of the NFLPA still exists. Though it's no longer a labor union, the NFLPA isn't dissolved. So the contract EA signed with the NFLPA continues unhindered, as does the agreement with all 32 NFL teams.

steelerfan
03-19-2011, 03:28 PM
Thanks Jeff. That explains how rookies could be in as well.