PDA

View Full Version : Tiger 12 to feature Augusta & the Masters

cdj
01-04-2011, 09:19 AM
From Darren Rovell (http://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/22307518764027904):

EA Sports' Tiger Woods PGA Tour 12 will allow players to play a virtual Augusta National & win a Masters jacket for 1st time

JBHuskers
01-04-2011, 09:22 AM
From USA Today - http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gamehunters/post/2011/01/augusta-national-to-appear-in-tiger-woods-pga-tour-12-and-start-new-foundation/1

The home of The Masters tournament, Augusta (Ga.) National Golf Club, is teaming up with EA Sports and Tiger Woods PGA Tour 12, to be released March 29, Augusta National chairman Billy Payne announced today.

The club also announced the formation of the Masters Tournament Foundation to help the international development of golf. All proceeds that the club receives from participation in the Tiger Woods franchise will go to the foundation, Payne said.

"The establishment of the Masters Tournament Foundation is central to fulfilling our responsibility of supporting the game's continuous growth around the world," said Payne in the release. "This tradition, shaped by our Founders Bobby Jones and Clifford Roberts, is the cornerstone of the Foundation's important commitment."

Check back soon for more on Tiger Woods PGA Tour 12.

cdj
01-04-2011, 09:27 AM
From ESPN: http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/news/story?id=5987199

Officials at the storied Georgia golf course, home to the annual Masters Tournament, announced Tuesday that Augusta National is joining forces with EA Sports to be part of its 2012 installment of the Tiger Woods PGA Tour golf game franchise.

The game will go on sale March 29, just a few weeks before the 75th playing of the Masters, and allow participants to "play" the Augusta National course by "qualifying" for and attempting to win the Masters.

Augusta National chairman Billy Payne said that the Masters will be featured in the game as part of a bigger club initiative that will allow the tournament and the club to donate more money to charity.

JBHuskers
01-04-2011, 09:33 AM
I can't comment on anything yet, but I can say I am VERY VERY excited....

JBHuskers
01-04-2011, 10:04 AM
Jason Sobel's blog from ESPN:

http://espn.go.com/golf/blog/_/name/sobel_jason/id/5987359/get-ready-new-masters-experience

At some point every April, the following rhetorical question is anxiously posed by golf fans on couches around the world.

"Wouldn't it be cool ... if you could play Augusta National Golf Club ... and the actual Masters Tournament ... on a video game?!"

Wonder no longer, my friends. The world's most revered golf course and the year's first major championship will soon be available in the long-standing EA Sports "Tiger Woods" series.

And yes, it will be very cool.

This is the golf and gaming equivalent to the first time someone dipped a chocolate bar into another person's peanut butter. Or more pertinently, the first time someone slapped pimento cheese on white bread -- the unofficial must-have lunch of the Masters Tournament.

For the first time ever, a virtual version of the entire course will be available to play from the luxury of your living room starting on March 29, just nine days before the opening round of the actual tournament.

Green jacket sold separately, of course.

This move is the latest in a recent trend from Augusta National to not only grow the game globally, but make itself more visible.

Consider it a refreshing departure from the previous exclusivity of the course. Think about it: The first and second rounds of the Masters weren't even televised until 1982; broadcast coverage wasn't allowed to show competition on the front nine holes until 2002.

And now? In recent years, the tournament has been the first major shown in both high-definition and 3-D television, the first to offer live bonus coverage on the Internet and the first to allow free admission to all children under 16 accompanied by an adult. Each of those decisions has helped the Masters appeal to a younger generation, and its inclusion in the video game continues along that pattern.

"Our desire to help grow the game of golf throughout the world is sincere, and it is that commitment that first led us to EA Sports more than three years ago," said Billy Payne, chairman of Augusta National Golf Club and the Masters Tournament, in a statement. "EA Sports, Tiger Woods and the PGA Tour have developed an extremely successful franchise that responds to one of the popular entertainment choices of kids today. We hope our inclusion will foster an appreciation for the history and traditions of the Masters and inspire the next generation of golfers."

It's often been said that no one can realize exactly how hilly Augusta National's terrain really is without seeing it in person. Same goes for the overwhelming colors that permeate the course. Watching on television may grant observers a glimpse into the course's beauty, but it fails to capture the other senses in a way that only being there really can.

I'm reminded of a piece I wrote upon my first day on assignment at Augusta National years ago. It began:

Look to the left. The world is simply green, as far as the eye can see. Look to the right. More green, with hills and swales topped in that constant outdoorsy hue. Look behind you. Straight ahead. Anywhere. It's all the same. It's all serene, peaceful, yet exhilarating. It's all so much a part of history, yet so alive today. It's all so ... perfect.

The point in sharing this passage isn't to point out how much those who haven't made the pilgrimage have missed, but to prove what advantages might await in video game form -- all from the comfort of your own home. It's because of this ability to pull back the curtain that such an addition should intrigue hard-core golf fans as much as -- if not more than -- fanatical gamers. This is a chance to walk through the vaunted gates of Augusta National without needing access to drive down Washington Road.

It's a win-win proposition. You can play the world's most famous golf course for the first time ever. Meanwhile, 100 percent of Augusta National's proceeds from the video game will be contributed to the newly created Masters Tournament Foundation, which is designed to annually invest in development programs for the game of golf worldwide.

Actually, that makes it a win-win-win proposition, the last of those being the ability to capture a Masters title. For Tiger Woods, Phil Mickelson and the world's elite golfers, that chance will come over four days in April. For the rest of us, it will soon be readily available anytime, at the click of a button.

Jason Sobel is a golf writer for ESPN.com. He can be reached at Jason.Sobel@espn.com.

JBHuskers
01-04-2011, 11:44 AM
Box art...

http://desmond.yfrog.com/Himg611/scaled.php?tn=0&server=611&filename=0o39.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640

gschwendt
01-06-2011, 10:51 PM
Flyover of all 18 holes of Augusta (http://kotaku.com/5727059/see-all-18-holes-of-augusta-national-without-leaving-your-couch)

kdog36
01-07-2011, 01:07 AM
Wonder if they can mention anynew players on the game. I for one would like to see Phil Mickelson on the game for a change. Now that Tigers is on the outs with EA maybe Phil will jump on the game. Unless he does not want to be on the game.

k

CLW
01-08-2011, 09:43 AM
I'm honestly somewhat surprised EA has kept with the Tiger Woods for its title name. He's pretty much radioactive in terms of corporate sponsors now and I would think PGA Tour 2012 would have been just fine.

Coachdenz
01-08-2011, 07:23 PM
I would really like to see my online player be separate from my offline player does that make sense?

JBHuskers
01-10-2011, 01:35 PM
I would really like to see my online player be separate from my offline player does that make sense?

Yes, and I have relayed that info to the devs in the past.

CLW
01-11-2011, 07:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzUDGiZwFZY&feature=sub

natcret
01-11-2011, 10:33 PM
CLW thanks for sharing the video. i think the gents in the video are correct that just the fact that the Masters will be in the game may draw people to the game. I wonder how the the PS3 Move and the 360 Kinect will play a part in this, as well as the Wii.

cdj
01-13-2011, 01:45 AM
The game already has full Move support (started in Tiger 11), but I don't think there's Kinect support at this time. I'm guessing the Wii version will have Augusta, so that should be huge.

From what I've heard and gathered, there's a lot of hype rolling behind this title right now with Augusta, the Masters, upgrades to Career Mode, caddies, & more on the way.

JBHuskers
01-13-2011, 01:45 AM
CLW thanks for sharing the video. i think the gents in the video are correct that just the fact that the Masters will be in the game may draw people to the game. I wonder how the the PS3 Move and the 360 Kinect will play a part in this, as well as the Wii.

No Kinect, but will be Move compatible just like Tiger 11

JBHuskers
01-25-2011, 10:39 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcPXSiBw67g

JBHuskers
01-25-2011, 10:39 AM
No Kinect, but will be Move compatible just like Tiger 11

And the calibration of the Move will be much much better in 12 than in 11....

natcret
01-25-2011, 04:23 PM
Great video. Thanks for sharing!