PDA

View Full Version : Madden NFL 11

Pages : 1 [2]

skipwondah33
08-05-2010, 07:28 AM
So I tested out the kicker slider with different kicking accuracies:

Kicking 42 yard kicks (so I didn't have to max out the power every time) in practice with various created kickers all with 90 KPW and going from 90 KAC to 12 KAC with the kicking accuracy slider all the way down to 0 I was able leave the direction of the kick straight and vary my accuracy in the kicking motion while compensating for wind to pretty much nail anything from 42 yards without moving the arrow. The new kicking meter is so ridiculously easy, it's not funny (and, again, I've barely even played Madden 11 and I don't think I've used the new setup but maybe 3 or 4 times in total before this test).

Were you playing on All-Madden?

JBHuskers
08-05-2010, 08:26 AM
Actually the first game I didn't notice you were gone until it said you signed out of PSN. Though, not sure if you did that manually after you were disconnected or what.

yeah I manually rebooted after that....both times that I was booted from OTP I was still online

sl8b
08-05-2010, 09:47 AM
One other thing, from the demo it seemed that Normal speed on Madden = Slow on NCAA. Both of those settings felt good to me.

Do you play on slow speed in NCAA? Just curious....seems most use normal or fast.

If they leave the online speed to slow again this year, I won't be playing many play now games. The demo was way different once I put it up to normal speed.

iBrandon
08-05-2010, 09:51 AM
How are the flats? Some say they are jacked up like last year and some say they are not.

As far as teams drafting special team players, what's the issue? Are they taking them in the first round? Or are they too good? i'm confused.

JBHuskers
08-05-2010, 10:26 AM
How are the flats? Some say they are jacked up like last year and some say they are not.

As far as teams drafting special team players, what's the issue? Are they taking them in the first round? Or are they too good? i'm confused.

I don't think the flats are THAT bad. It's all dependant on the defense you call I think. If you're running a zone with on one on the right side, you can get burnt.

JBHuskers
08-05-2010, 10:27 AM
Do you play on slow speed in NCAA? Just curious....seems most use normal or fast.

If they leave the online speed to slow again this year, I won't be playing many play now games. The demo was way different once I put it up to normal speed.

To me normal seemed like whatever the default is for NCAA.

jaymo76
08-05-2010, 11:48 AM
Are the intros pretty repetitive or are there several unique ones? If I hear the Peyton Manning demo speech again I think I'm gonna throw up...

morsdraconis
08-05-2010, 12:25 PM
IR is definitely still messed up. Took a team, filled up their roster with FAs then put an injured guy on IR and the roster was still full and I couldn't sign someone to replace him.

I definitely think Franchise is messed up. There are at least 20 rookies that are going to come in within 6 years of Franchise and be superstars. I'm talking at least 3 RBs that are top 5 RBs basically coming out of college. A QB that is top 5 coming out of college (with better deep ball accuracy than anyone else in the NFL). At least 2 WRs coming out of college with 99 catching after 2 seasons (which is disgustingly ridiculous). Numerous SSs and FSs with 90+ tackling and hit power. It's like they went the opposite direction of NCAA and made the rookies WAY WAY too good. Granted, progression is pretty slow on their awareness, but when you have 99 speed, acceleration, agility, and catching, who the hell needs to worry about awareness?

jaymo76
08-05-2010, 01:28 PM
IR is definitely still messed up. Took a team, filled up their roster with FAs then put an injured guy on IR and the roster was still full and I couldn't sign someone to replace him.

I definitely think Franchise is messed up. There are at least 20 rookies that are going to come in within 6 years of Franchise and be superstars. I'm talking at least 3 RBs that are top 5 RBs basically coming out of college. A QB that is top 5 coming out of college (with better deep ball accuracy than anyone else in the NFL). At least 2 WRs coming out of college with 99 catching after 2 seasons (which is disgustingly ridiculous). Numerous SSs and FSs with 90+ tackling and hit power. It's like they went the opposite direction of NCAA and made the rookies WAY WAY too good. Granted, progression is pretty slow on their awareness, but when you have 99 speed, acceleration, agility, and catching, who the hell needs to worry about awareness?

Well, that's all I needed to know. Still allowing IR to be broken is mind-boggling. It's been broken for years and years and yet again.... no fix. If injuries are high and you have no working IR then you're big trouble... Madden 12 it is. Thanks morsdraconis for the ipmressions/info.

NatureBoy
08-05-2010, 09:25 PM
I got my copy today and i'm loving it so far. The servers were down this morning but were up just a little while ago.

JeffHCross
08-05-2010, 09:35 PM
Ian said they wanted to make kicking harder by changing to this meter but it seems he made it easier from what I'm reading.I don't recall reading that they wanted it to be harder. It seemed to me like they wanted it to be more approachable. Meters with button presses always seem to be more intuitive than R-stick controls.

Rudy
08-06-2010, 05:25 AM

I do play on slow speed in NCAA. The funny thing is I hated Madden's slow speed last year (for the brief time I kept the game) and found myself liking fast speed the best although normal wasn't too bad. I was always a proponent of playing faster as I hate seeing long runs take forever to go anywhere. But slow in NCAA just feels right to me this year.

Rudy
08-06-2010, 05:26 AM
I don't recall reading that they wanted it to be harder. It seemed to me like they wanted it to be more approachable. Meters with button presses always seem to be more intuitive than R-stick controls.

On twitter Ian mentioned the idea of making it harder and having the game play more to ratings as a couple of reasons. I'm sure they have a bunch of reasons for why they remove options on people (sore subject for me).

skipwondah33
08-06-2010, 07:46 AM
But slow in NCAA just feels right to me this year.

Thats because its been so damn fast the last few years, it needed to be slowed down IMO

Initially I didn't care for the slow speed on Madden 10, felt too sluggish but now I'm use to playing with it since it was set as the default for my online league play. I guess thats why it felt right because in Madden 09 the game speed was so damn fast as well.

skipwondah33
08-06-2010, 10:00 AM
JB, or G or CDJ lol. Question for you guys

Have you gotten the chance to play an online game against G or CDJ? If so I was wondering if you could have Gameflow turned off, but your opponent have it turned on?

I have heard that if it is set to On when the game is set up, that after every play you will have to select if you want to use it or use the full playbook.

JBHuskers
08-06-2010, 10:45 AM
JB, or G or CDJ lol. Question for you guys

Have you gotten the chance to play an online game against G or CDJ? If so I was wondering if you could have Gameflow turned off, but your opponent have it turned on?

I have heard that if it is set to On when the game is set up, that after every play you will have to select if you want to use it or use the full playbook.

The person who sets up the game has the option of choosing GameFlow or Conventional....both players have to go with the same style. But you can hit one button to get to the full playbook I do believe.

skipwondah33
08-06-2010, 10:48 AM
The person who sets up the game has the option of choosing GameFlow or Conventional....both players have to go with the same style. But you can hit one button to get to the full playbook I do believe.

Ok so say the convential way is chosen for the game. Will Gameflow still be available for those who want to use it?

JBHuskers
08-06-2010, 11:24 AM
Ok so say the convential way is chosen for the game. Will Gameflow still be available for those who want to use it?

I don't think so. But I haven't tried it out. I know in GameFlow you can hit square to bring up the playbook.

skipwondah33
08-06-2010, 11:31 AM
Thanks man..I would try myself but all of my attempts to acquire the game early have been unsucessful thus far lol

ram29jackson
08-06-2010, 04:10 PM
GEE WHIZ how many of you freaks already got the game early !? lucky dogs !

jaymo76
08-06-2010, 04:30 PM
http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-54227-Reno-Console-Games-Examiner~y2010m8d6-Madden-NFL-11-QA-With-Ian-Cummings

A few interesting points come up...

JBHuskers
08-06-2010, 05:29 PM
http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-54227-Reno-Console-Games-Examiner~y2010m8d6-Madden-NFL-11-QA-With-Ian-Cummings

Good find bro. Yeah they spent a lot of time defending Strategy Pad instead of listening. Same thing happened when we saw the playcall screen for NCAA 11 at Community Day. There was a little push back when we said that this will not be well received, but we had a VERY passionate discussion at CD about the things that needed to be done else this would turn out to be like the Strategy Pad situation. And changes came as a result, and frankly they're changes I'm very glad that happened.

I think it's kind of a catch-22, they said Online Franchise had such low usage....well to me that was because it wasn't a full fledged franchise mode....it sure turned me off from wanting to play it when things like a salary cap weren't in.

NatureBoy
08-06-2010, 11:17 PM
Does anyone know what the update or patch was for? I downloaded one tonight but I don't have a clue what it did. I'm on the 360.

JeffHCross
08-07-2010, 12:05 AM

4. When we start applying the Star ratings to plays in a given situation, how does GameFlow break this down? Let's say, on offense, I have 8 plays for 1st and 10 situations. I've given two of those plays 5 stars, four of the plays 4 stars and the remaining two plays were given 3 1/2 stars. How do the stars and the playcall logic work this out?

Ian: It’s what you would see out of a typical “random” statistical model. You’ve in essence tagged the 5 star plays as your most important, so those are weighted more when it’s trying to find a play out of that group, but the 4 and 3.5 star plays still do have a chance of being called. It’s just like iTunes.It saddens me that iTunes is the example of a "random" statistical model, not just a simple "normal distribution".

JeffHCross
08-07-2010, 12:08 AM
I think it's kind of a catch-22, they said Online Franchise had such low usage....well to me that was because it wasn't a full fledged franchise mode....it sure turned me off from wanting to play it when things like a salary cap weren't in.For me, Online Franchise had such low usage because even with a group of guys who didn't normally play Madden you saw scores like 80-13. Sliders and difficulty seemed to have no effect on vs CPU OF games. Frustration was the reason our franchise didn't get to the offseason ... it had nothing to do with features not being there.

jaymo76
08-07-2010, 12:12 AM
Good find bro. Yeah they spent a lot of time defending Strategy Pad instead of listening. Same thing happened when we saw the playcall screen for NCAA 11 at Community Day. There was a little push back when we said that this will not be well received, but we had a VERY passionate discussion at CD about the things that needed to be done else this would turn out to be like the Strategy Pad situation. And changes came as a result, and frankly they're changes I'm very glad that happened.

I think it's kind of a catch-22, they said Online Franchise had such low usage....well to me that was because it wasn't a full fledged franchise mode....it sure turned me off from wanting to play it when things like a salary cap weren't in.

I mean I guess we will never know, but you wonder how much "pressure" is coming from the top on things like this??? How much say do the developers have versus management on what makes the cut and what doesn't...

JeffHCross
08-07-2010, 01:22 AM
I mean I guess we will never know, but you wonder how much "pressure" is coming from the top on things like this??? How much say do the developers have versus management on what makes the cut and what doesn't...Speaking from experience ... generally none. The developers can influence the final product, but the overall requirements/goals come from the top.

Rudy
08-07-2010, 08:21 AM

If gameflow is supposed to make the game quicker to go out to dinner with the wife or family, why not just add in-game saves?! That's the easiest and best solution for everyone. I do get annoyed that the Madden team seems to make most of their decisions based on online number crunching. They don't have the data for how offline people play vs. the cpu which is still the most popular form of gameplay.

NatureBoy
08-07-2010, 10:08 AM
If gameflow is supposed to make the game quicker to go out to dinner with the wife or family, why not just add in-game saves?! That's the easiest and best solution for everyone. I do get annoyed that the Madden team seems to make most of their decisions based on online number crunching. They don't have the data for how offline people play vs. the cpu which is still the most popular form of gameplay. The thing is Rudy, I can't tell a difference time wise. My games are taking just as long as they ever did. In game saves are very much needed. With a 10 month old baby in the house, I sure could make good use of them.

JeffHCross
08-07-2010, 10:37 AM
They don't have the data for how offline people play vs. the cpu which is still the most popular form of gameplay.I don't have the numbers to back it up, but I could certainly believe that Online, in Madden, has beaten out Offline Vs CPU.

I OU a Beatn
08-07-2010, 10:56 AM
There's no way online players outnumber the offline players, which is exactly why the online players always get ignored in patches with EA Sports games. Madden will sell millions, and yet I guarantee that barely a million people will even take the game online, let alone play a game, let alone play more than one.

JeffHCross
08-07-2010, 11:11 AM
For what it's worth 350,000 played exactly one online game last year of Madden.

I OU a Beatn
08-07-2010, 11:18 AM
For what it's worth 350,000 played exactly one online game last year of Madden.

On PS3 or all systems combined? Either way, that proves exactly what I'm saying. Madden 10 sold 2.5 million copies worldwide on the 360 version alone. The offline players drastically outnumber the online players, which as I said, explains exactly why the online players ALWAYS get ignored.

JeffHCross
08-07-2010, 12:21 PM
Either way, that proves exactly what I'm saying.How does knowing exactly how many people played only one game of online prove anything? I just thought it was an interesting number.

There were 120 million games of online Madden 10 played last year.

As for "online players get ignored" ... give me a break. Here's patch 1 from Madden 10:

Added Super Bowl and Playoff field conditions in Online Franchise
Fixed false start griefing issue with online games
Fixed video player issues (sometimes video would hang) in Online area
Improved quality of uploaded video highlights
Switched ranked online games to seven minute quarters
Random stability fixes
Added playable broadcast camera angle
Tuned slider effectiveness
Made fatigue affect ratings more
Tuned broken tackle chances
Reduced/removed holding on kick attempts
Improved-toe drag catch logic
General pursuit improvements
Man coverage improvements
Fixed double pass online exploitOnly two of those are offline only.

skipwondah33
08-07-2010, 12:45 PM
Got one more question

Does anyone else notice in the demo that if you have cord. audio on while on defense, that they will tell you what the offense is going to run or atleast what to look for?

In my last two games yesterday, the told me everything to look for or that they were going to run 3/4 time.

I OU a Beatn
08-07-2010, 01:06 PM
Lol, Jeff, I'm not even going to begin to have this argument because I know for a fact that you don't even play online, and if you do, it's extremely rare. I don't mean online dynasty either. I mean one on one against another person in a ranked match. And no, they have yet to address a legitimate issue that effected those players on any football game this generation. I mean, look at your list for exactly what I mean. They fixed "exploits"(meaning glitches) that shouldn't have been there in the first place. What about pass defense against the flats? What about the ineffectiveness of the pass rush? What about the ineffectiveness of man coverage? What about the rocket catch?

Those are ALL issues that existed in last year's game alone that were never even mentioned, let alone addressed. This is how EA is and has been with every single one of their patches this generation. They fix obvious things that online dynasty and offline players care about, but when it comes to legitimate issues with head to head games, they look the other way and act like there's not a problem. If you want proof of that, ask any Madden online player what the biggest issue was last year. Guaranteed they'll say pass defense against the flats because it was completely non-existent. Take a wild guess what remains a huge issue in the Madden 11 demo.

ram29jackson
08-07-2010, 02:31 PM
How does knowing exactly how many people played only one game of online prove anything? I just thought it was an interesting number.

There were 120 million games of online Madden 10 played last year.

As for "online players get ignored" ... give me a break. Here's patch 1 from Madden 10:
Only two of those are offline only.

you can do an online franchise by yourself, just to do it. So that may or may not prove or disprove anything.

of course offline outnumbers online. its a luxury and a time killer some people dont care for. Its a kids game. Most kids dont need online to have fun. They either didnt like the slow online pace or they dont care for it after one game of a guy cheesing and glitching like a freak.Most play with friends right there in the room haha.

JeffHCross
08-07-2010, 02:33 PM
you can do an online franchise by yourself, just to do it. So that may or may not prove or disprove anything.I would presume ... presume ... that an Online Franchise by yourself (which would be the most pointless thing ever since Online Franchise is greatly inferior to Offline Franchise) wouldn't be counted in "online games".

I don't mean online dynasty either. I mean one on one against another person in a ranked match.Yes, because there's a huge difference between Online Dynasty and a ranked match. Only difference is, generally, you avoid cheesers. The same issues are there, and I agree the same issues go unaddressed.

But you're singing two different songs. To say that the same issues go unaddressed year after year (i.e. pass coverage, rocket catch, etc), I would generally agree with you. But to say that Online players get completely ignored in patches, well, there's obvious evidence to the contrary.

ram29jackson
08-07-2010, 02:47 PM
just an online opinion/observation.

If Online outranked/outnubered online- there would have been like 5,000 members here after the first week. Theres only about 400 here and 385 just signed up for a look-see at a couple insights and may may come back once a month just to see whats going on.
While losers like me still fight to see that world see's that I make the best/ most varied uni's on the internet:D

I OU a Beatn
08-07-2010, 02:51 PM
There's a huge difference between online dynasties and ranked matches. People playing in online dynasties usually know each other and play simulation style that doesn't try to break the AI. The exact opposite is true for ranked matches. The perfect example is this year, where with online dynasties, you don't have to worry about someone running toss and stretch plays every single play, while if you play online, there's a pretty good chance that's exactly what you're going to see, which is where EA truly ignores the online gamers. I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that they knew about stretch and toss plays and how the defense inexplicably gets sucked towards the middle of the line, they were just hoping we wouldn't find out. I also have no doubt that they not only knew about the psychic defenders in man coverage, but they intentionally programmed it that way because they knew it would be impossible to get stops if they didn't.

It's truly bullshit. They've had 5 years now to get it right, and they're no closer now than they were when they first started working on the 360 and PS3 versions. This is a direct result of being lazy and not listening to the community. However, next year when they announce the introduction of some other feature that we should already have, and completely ignore the true underlying problems of why this game is broken, we'll all jump at it because the sad fact is this is the one and only place we can play a college football video game. How I would love for their contract to run out and have someone truly challenge their bullshit monopoly on college football video games.

With that said, I tinkered around with the Madden demo more today. The same issues that existed last year are still there this year, so I have no doubt they spent about 30 seconds on the game play portion of the game this year. Nonetheless, it'll still be light years ahead of NCAA 11. At least with Madden I wont have to worry about someone running stretch and toss plays every down with an unstoppable result, or sitting in man coverage and watching the DB run the receiver's route before he does.

JeffHCross
08-07-2010, 03:37 PM
If Online outranked/outnubered onlineI'm talking Madden, not NCAA. I don't dispute that Offline outranks Online for NCAA. And I don't even think it does on Madden, I just said I wouldn't be surprised.

People playing in online dynasties usually know each other and play simulation style that doesn't try to break the AI. The exact opposite is true for ranked matches.Your key word there is "usually". I've been in ODs with people that tried that, and did it successfully, and didn't see any problem with it. The same issues exist for ODs and Ranked Online. Whether or not you see them on a regular basis is immaterial to whether or not they exist, and whether or not I think they're important to be addressed. I do!

ram29jackson
08-07-2010, 03:47 PM
I'm talking Madden, not NCAA. I don't dispute that Offline outranks Online for NCAA. And I don't even think it does on Madden, I just said I wouldn't be surprised.
Your key word there is "usually". I've been in ODs with people that tried that, and did it successfully, and didn't see any problem with it. The same issues exist for ODs and Ranked Online. Whether or not you see them on a regular basis is immaterial to whether or not they exist, and whether or not I think they're important to be addressed. I do!

:)Yep, I know this is Madden thread. the point applies for the whole of the online/offline world.
Online is still very much an underground subculture.

jaymo76
08-07-2010, 06:50 PM
:)Yep, I know this is Madden thread. the point applies for the whole of the online/offline world.
Online is still very much an underground subculture.

Agreed! Online may well be the way of the future BUT for me video games are an "escape" and I play when I WANT to play, not when I have to play. Offline will always be my way but I suspect I am part of a dinosaur generation...

I OU a Beatn
08-07-2010, 06:54 PM
Don't get me wrong, competitive Madden has exploded the last few years and with it, so has online. But I still stick to my opinion that for the most part, EA ignores the online gamer. There's just way too many flaws that impact only us year in and year out for me to say that they actually put forth a concerted effort to make a GOOD online football game. With that said, I'm still looking forward to Madden 11 and using the Rams online. NCAA '11 was an abortion as far as I'm concerned, and I'm eager to move on to another football game, even if it is flawed.

skipwondah33
08-07-2010, 07:47 PM
Find yourself a good community of Madden players and leagues to be a part of and these glitches aren't anything to worry about. Like I've said I can't remember the last ranked or offline game I've played in the last 3-4 years. The only games I play are my unranked leagues.

jaymo76
08-08-2010, 03:43 AM
I played Madden 10 for the first time since June (season seven of dynasty mode). It was a decent game as my Raiders thumped the Manningless Colts (retired last season). The game felt and looked a lot different from the 11 demo experience. Immediately following the game I put on the demo (all-pro on SLOW speed). I didn't appreciate how different this Madden plays and feels as compared to 10... and 10 is my second favourite Madden (05 is #1). The obvious differences that come to mind are:

Gameplay AND Gameflow are huge game changers IMO
Visuals are stunning
Player models look improved (though #'s are smaller)
Far better cut scenes
Far better intros

However, by far the biggest difference is LOCOMOTION with the RUN GAME!!! As compared to 11, running the ball on Madden 10 is absolutely brutal... the animations look terrible, you have minimal control of movement/direction, etc. I am truly surprised how different the two games feel and I am seriously considering changing my mind and picking up 11... I don't know if I can play 10 again after my comparison of the two titles....???...

cdj
08-08-2010, 04:28 PM

Depends on difficulty. Playing around on lower difficulty, they are pretty open. The higher you go, the better the D is. I haven't tried to exploit them yet though.

I left the Game Speed on default and like it. Playing the CPU, I feel like it really helps my offense as I can see things develop and open up yet it doesn't feel too slow IMHO.

Are the intros pretty repetitive or are there several unique ones? If I hear the Peyton Manning demo speech again I think I'm gonna throw up...

I think Ray Lewis does his dance, but most are the same. Not as elaborate of an opening compared to NCAA and I don't think there is a coin toss. You see the team huddle and do your selections at the top.

I don't recall reading that they wanted it to be harder. It seemed to me like they wanted it to be more approachable. Meters with button presses always seem to be more intuitive than R-stick controls.

I think they wanted it more 'realistic' and more variation between kickers. Online, it can be tough to connect on the Accuracy if you have some lag. I've missed some PATs online even.

The thing is Rudy, I can't tell a difference time wise. My games are taking just as long as they ever did. In game saves are very much needed. With a 10 month old baby in the house, I sure could make good use of them.

Yeah, if you don't X through the cutscenes, games are not quicker which negates the feature somewhat. The first game I played, I wondered what was taking so long until I started flying through the extra stuff.

cdj
08-08-2010, 04:40 PM
Here's an OTP game with JB & I versus the CPU:

QTR 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZwPpGNRz0U
QTR 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8O_470aW04
QTR 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKxLBJz5U1g
QTR 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zqiQI959Pc

I agree with what jaymo said - you notice more of the changes when mixing in some M10.

jaymo76
08-08-2010, 04:57 PM
-4 rushing yards for Washington at the half... that's not a good sign for the cpu rush game... it's also been non-existent in the demo. Slider tweaks will be a definite requirement.

cdj
08-08-2010, 05:08 PM
What difficulty are you on, jaymo? I don't think I made any adjustments to sliders, just bumped to All-Pro and I have had Chris Johnson tear me alive as well as guys like Frank Gore.

Though, IIRC those games came when using GameFlow. Not sure if the CPU has had a huge day with conventional play-calling.

jaymo76
08-08-2010, 05:12 PM
What difficulty are you on, jaymo? I don't think I made any adjustments to sliders, just bumped to All-Pro and I have had Chris Johnson tear me alive as well as guys like Frank Gore.

Though, IIRC those games came when using GameFlow. Not sure if the CPU has had a huge day with conventional play-calling.

I play on ALL PRO in the demo but ADDAI has been brutal against the Jets D. Greene did have one game where he hit 100+ because of a big run. Overall though I just haven't seen great cpu run O. However, maybe it's the demo teams and how they match up. I assume if I use my Raiders my DL would get lit up pretty good.

cdj
08-08-2010, 05:14 PM
IIRC, I was using the Raiders when those big games occurred along with GameFlow. You are probably correct. :) Some tweaks are probably necessary, but maybe not as huge as first thought.

I OU a Beatn
08-08-2010, 05:19 PM
Could I possibly bug someone with the game to record a standard ranked match? It would also be cool if you could also capture the online menus and interface. Huge thanks to anyone if they decide to do so.

cdj
08-08-2010, 05:21 PM
Could I possibly bug someone with the game to record a standard ranked match? It would also be cool if you could also capture the online menus and interface. Huge thanks to anyone if they decide to do so.

I'm away from the game the next couple days, but I didn't have any luck connecting to play JB the other night. Not sure if servers weren't fully functional or if it was a problem with my connection or a combination of the two.

skipwondah33
08-08-2010, 10:12 PM
Did anyone ever find out what the patch they put had in it?

jaymo76
08-08-2010, 10:39 PM
Dirty uniforms....every site says something different. A few people say yes, a few people say no, a few people say yes BUT only for cut scenes.... does anyone actually know the answer?

cdj
08-08-2010, 11:38 PM
I don't think they have announced, but I'm guessing/hoping they will by launch.

steelerfan
08-09-2010, 01:34 PM
Hey guys, I was asked by cdj to post here and let you guys know that he and JB are in New Orleans for the launch of Madden. There will be a ustream event from 2 to 6 PM Central today and a show on Spike TV tonight at 10:30 PM Central. JB and cdj will be part of both and are expecting to be interviewed on the TV broadcast. Be sure to tune in!!!

jaymo76
08-09-2010, 01:35 PM
Just read the review at OS.... they gave Madden 11 a 9/10 (SENSATIONAL). Hey I like the demo but a 9? Really?

IGN has given the game an 8/10

Here is the video link: http://ps3.ign.com/dor/objects/36265/madden-nfl-11/videos/maddden11_vdr_080610.html

jaymo76
08-09-2010, 01:39 PM
Just read the Destructoid review... they give the game a 9.5??? How does ZERO franchise improvements grant a 9.5? These scorse seem way too high

Edit: After reading all the different impressions I will say that IGN's sounds the most accuracte (based on the demo). I'm not an IGN fan but an 8 sounds very realistic as the other reviews are just too, too, high for ZERO franchise changes.

steelerfan
08-09-2010, 01:58 PM
Hey guys, I was asked by cdj to post here and let you guys know that he and JB are in New Orleans for the launch of Madden. There will be a ustream event from 2 to 6 PM Central today and a show on Spike TV tonight at 10:30 PM Central. JB and cdj will be part of both and are expecting to be interviewed on the TV broadcast. Be sure to tune in!!!

USTREAM starts in a couple minutes.

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=136641766370889

skipwondah33
08-09-2010, 02:07 PM
Just read the Destructoid review... they give the game a 9.5??? How does ZERO franchise improvements grant a 9.5? These scorse seem way too high

Edit: After reading all the different impressions I will say that IGN's sounds the most accuracte (based on the demo). I'm not an IGN fan but an 8 sounds very realistic as the other reviews are just too, too, high for ZERO franchise changes.

I guess its more or less based on gameplay changes in regards to Locomotion, WR catch tuning, lighting and sound improvements, etc

For the most part I don't think Franchise mode is a deal breaker to most. 8.5/10 and 9/10 I could see honestly.

skipwondah33
08-09-2010, 02:22 PM
Haha JB I hope you weren't the Panters man lol

Seen you playing Anton

Rudy
08-09-2010, 04:23 PM
The official OS Madden review was really bad. It didn't have anything of substance and very few critical comments. Almost seemed like they cut and pasted the back of the box comments into the review or let EA write it themselves. I know OS is impartial and I know some of the mods there don't like the review either. They did a second review that was more balanced. The original Madden reviewer is a new writer and I don't think he really knows what he is doing. This is not an attack on the 9/10 score. It's just that the review offered almost nothing in depth. I expect that from a crappy video game site just covering the annual Madden release, not OS who should be doing the best sports reviews on the planet.

The OS NCAA review was much better. Praise, criticism and in depth comments.

jaymo76
08-09-2010, 04:36 PM
The official OS Madden review was really bad. It didn't have anything of substance and very few critical comments. Almost seemed like they cut and pasted the back of the box comments into the review or let EA write it themselves. I know OS is impartial and I know some of the mods there don't like the review either. They did a second review that was more balanced. The original Madden reviewer is a new writer and I don't think he really knows what he is doing. This is not an attack on the 9/10 score. It's just that the review offered almost nothing in depth. I expect that from a crappy video game site just covering the annual Madden release, not OS who should be doing the best sports reviews on the planet.

The OS NCAA review was much better. Praise, criticism and in depth comments.

I didn't know that the reviewer was a newb... is he also a newb to Madden??? The reason I can't buy into the review is because I gave NCAA 8.5 and I think it's a top three in the series but Madden only really improved gameplay... but a GAME is based on the experience, not just the gameplay. If gameplay is great but franchise mode is dull then what's the point?

ram29jackson
08-09-2010, 04:59 PM
are you kidding? OS is a fanboy site for children- my opinion

ram29jackson
08-09-2010, 05:00 PM

check

I OU a Beatn
08-09-2010, 05:51 PM
I don't see how not doing anything to Franchise should demote it's score. They made a bunch of supposed gameplay improvements, beefed up the online portion of the game(THANK YOU), and added new commentary on top of a bunch of things. Granted, I haven't played it yet, but it's a little silly to lower it's score just because they didn't make improvements to Franchise mode, especially since it's pretty good to begin with.

ram29jackson
08-09-2010, 06:21 PM
what can they add to franchise ? the only valid thing would be if you actually use salary cap- to have the AI take care of stuff for you if it says your over because youre spending all day trying to release players and than it says- not enough players- its stupid

steelerfan
08-09-2010, 06:24 PM
Officially, the Madden Launch show, that will feature our very own cdj and JBHuskers, airs tonight from 10:38 to 11:02 Central on Spike. Just fyi.

jaymo76
08-09-2010, 09:02 PM
what can they add to franchise ? the only valid thing would be if you actually use salary cap- to have the AI take care of stuff for you if it says your over because youre spending all day trying to release players and than it says- not enough players- its stupid

IOU / RAM Seriously? Don't you guys remember how amazing PS2 franchise modes were and all of the rich features? All I can say is 2k5 AND MADDEN 05 to answer this question. Things off the top of my head:

IR that actually works
Practise squad
Restricted Free Agents
Create a coach
coaching contracts
mid/end season team switch
create a play
custom playbooks
NFL pre-draft show
Tony Bruno radio show
team scouting during practise mode
owner//agent/coordinator emails
global player editing (100% editing enabled)
ESPN weekly wrap up show including game highlights from OTHER games, etc.

Pretty much every single review said the same thing... next gen is a stale barebone franchise mode as compared to last gen versions. For OFFLINE franchise players, franchise is very dry after a few seasons. With 2k and Madden 05/06 I went well past 10+ seasons with each game because it was fun... next gen Madden franchise isn't fun. I don't judge a game based soley on gameplay. I base a game on how fun it is to play and how involved and committed I am to the game. This game has so much potential but it's still far, far away from where it needs to be.

Rudy
08-09-2010, 09:20 PM
I think agents and off field distractions would make franchise a lot more interesting. Some players should be easy to re-sign while others should be a real pain in the ass. Make up fake agents and attach levels of difficulty in dealing with them. I haven't done a franchise in a long time but do some players start out with high salary demands and actually drop them during the free agency period? I used to play about 4 games a year and then sim the rest to do the offseason stuff. But the NCAA dynasty mode is more addicting and it's hard to go back to Madden's franchise mode imo.

ram29jackson
08-09-2010, 09:23 PM
IOU / RAM Seriously? Don't you guys remember how amazing PS2 franchise modes were and all of the rich features? All I can say is 2k5 AND MADDEN 05 to answer this question. Things off the top of my head:

IR that actually works
Practise squad
Restricted Free Agents
Create a coach
coaching contracts
mid/end season team switch
create a play
custom playbooks
NFL pre-draft show
Tony Bruno radio show
team scouting during practise mode
owner//agent/coordinator emails
global player editing (100% editing enabled)
ESPN weekly wrap up show including game highlights from OTHER games, etc.

Pretty much every single review said the same thing... next gen is a stale barebone franchise mode as compared to last gen versions. For OFFLINE franchise players, franchise is very dry after a few seasons. With 2k and Madden 05/06 I went well past 10+ seasons with each game because it was fun... next gen Madden franchise isn't fun. I don't judge a game based soley on gameplay. I base a game on how fun it is to play and how involved and committed I am to the game. This game has so much potential but it's still far, far away from where it needs to be.

good stuff- but I never got create a play to work properly- ie- I messed up saving additional plays for a full playbook

nothing experiential about pricing/picking foods or adding to the stadium. sure, you want to feel like theres more outside the stadium and players actually weakening with age- but i ont have all day haha

ram29jackson
08-09-2010, 09:25 PM
Officially, the Madden Launch show, that will feature our very own cdj and JBHuskers, airs tonight from 10:38 to 11:02 Central on Spike. Just fyi.

gotta' sit through -Rambo- before we get to see the ugly pusses of the strangers that post here haha.

this will be interesting :)

steelerfan
08-09-2010, 09:27 PM
gotta' sit through -Rambo- before we get to see the ugly pusses of the strangers that post here haha.

this will be interesting :)

Lol! I told them both that they better not embarrass us all. Ha!

sl8b
08-10-2010, 11:48 AM
Maybe it was just me, but in madden 10, had players that refused to re-sign with me. I loved the LG franchise mode alot more, but I definately don't hate the new one. The ability to look at scores and standings from previous seasons is a HUGE plus for me. History should be a big selling point in franchise mode, and that's one area that ea has impoved the game.

But why on earth can't we see who everyone's assistant coach's are during the season? I haven't checked if that's changed this year, but if they didn't touch franchise, I assume it's the same.

I OU a Beatn
08-11-2010, 06:31 AM
Never played franchise. I've always been an online guy.

Anyway, I messed around in practice mode for about 20 minutes last night. It's light years ahead of NCAA in just about every department. Man defense isn't overpowered. Zone defense still sucks, but that's to be expected. The animations are crisp and the game is about as smooth as you can get. The run pursuit is drastically improved. Flats are still vulnerable but they're better defended than last year. Pass rush appears to be almost perfect.

Haven't played online yet, but I'm definitely guessing my experience will be much more enjoyable.

skipwondah33
08-11-2010, 07:27 AM
Never played franchise. I've always been an online guy.

Anyway, I messed around in practice mode for about 20 minutes last night. It's light years ahead of NCAA in just about every department. Man defense isn't overpowered. Zone defense still sucks, but that's to be expected. The animations are crisp and the game is about as smooth as you can get. The run pursuit is drastically improved. Flats are still vulnerable but they're better defended than last year. Pass rush appears to be almost perfect.

Haven't played online yet, but I'm definitely guessing my experience will be much more enjoyable.

Man defense can be a little psyhic at times when playing on All-Madden online I have experienced. Playing with a couple of my league guys the Man under coverage was dominating. Zone isn't as powerful as it use to be which is a good thing IMO.

The kick meter isn't a problem on All-Pro online with the lag but when you go up to All-Madden it can get a little dicey. Sometimes the game doesn't register when you hit X and of course the bar moves faster.

I love the game up to this point though.

cdj
08-11-2010, 09:20 PM
So who has the game and what do you think so far?

It's pretty tough to go back and forth between NCAA's pre-snap methodology and the Strategy Pad in Madden. Oddly enough, I've left the game speed at default in each title and have enjoyed the difference.

I've actually been giving Madden Ultimate Team a solid run out of the box this year. I'm finding myself more drawn to it right now than wrapping up my franchise for some reason. I'm 9-2, but find myself wanting to build up my MUT squad instead of finishing the season.

Rudy
08-12-2010, 05:37 AM
I doubt I'm getting Madden. I'm very happy with NCAA 11 and just don't have the time to play both. Nor do I want to adjust to different game styles and controls. I love my Dolphins but I love college football better.

skipwondah33
08-12-2010, 07:48 AM
So who has the game and what do you think so far?

It's pretty tough to go back and forth between NCAA's pre-snap methodology and the Strategy Pad in Madden. Oddly enough, I've left the game speed at default in each title and have enjoyed the difference..

I actually love the game. Despite the two games having identical gameplay almost, Madden feels different. That isn't a knock on NCAA, it just plays different in some regards with gameplay and especially user control. I can make more plays than I can in NCAA. I've put in 10 user scrimmage games against my league buddies with the game speed set to Normal which feels right, thought it would be a problem going from Slow (which I didn't like last year but got used to). We also only play on All-Madden difficulty.

Special teams is important this year and some think it is easy. I've had my share of returns with Sproles (my league team), but I definitely like the fact you can't do like years past on kicks and punts which is select a player then burn downfield and lay the hit stick. You have to pay attention to lanes or else you will give an easy cut back. Which reminds me, actually having running lanes feels good in the game, not too easy but just right.

I'm not having the broken tackle problems everyone speaks of. When and if I do see broken tackles is if I'm trying to lay the hitstick down every tackle or trying to "strip" tackle. Two things that were overpowered and unrealistic last year, especially the "suction hitstick". If I tackling by using square I rarely see broken tackles.

Never thought I'd believe it but the strategy pad has grown on me and in all honestly it is actually easier than the "old" way IMO. Some plays I make alot of adjustments as far as trying to mix man and zone coverages in a play. I'm knocking just about all of them out, note that I don't play the CPU. With that said I haven't played NCAA since picking up Madden on Tuesday, I figure I will only play that when I have games in the Powerhouse OD.

I'm dropping alot of user interceptions in my games, especially on the deep passes. I'll be in perfect position to pick it but the ball bounces right off.

CLW
08-12-2010, 11:20 AM
Curious as to your guys thoughts on whether Madden would be worth a purchase. I tried online franchise last yr but the group I played with just wasn't very fun and most of the guys I know are NCAA only kinda guys. I would only buy/play Franchise mode and online sparingly just to mess around. Thoughts?

morsdraconis
08-12-2010, 11:30 AM
Curious as to your guys thoughts on whether Madden would be worth a purchase. I tried online franchise last yr but the group I played with just wasn't very fun and most of the guys I know are NCAA only kinda guys. I would only buy/play Franchise mode and online sparingly just to mess around. Thoughts?

If for basically only Franchise mode, I wouldn't purchase. Franchise mode is this game is so incredibly broken, it's not funny. When you have rookies coming in that are basically superstars already (and not just one or two here or there, but at least 4 or 5 a draft) it completely destroys the competitive balance of the rosters. Hell, even 7th rounders come in at like 65 overall and then you have guys like an 85 overall FB that doesn't get drafted at all so he's free game in free agency.

Like I said, it's so broken, it's not funny.

skipwondah33
08-12-2010, 11:38 AM

I honestly couldn't help you out in this one. I haven't played franchise is 3-4 years I believe. I would say if you were going to be playing online against straight people then I'd say purchase it from the gameplay standpoint alone. I don't have a bias towards either but I feel the gameplay is slightly different from NCAA, for example pursuit angles. I don't think the CPU ever takes bad angles in NCAA and they are always in or can get into position...atleast on Heisman. At the same time there is so much more to immerse yourself into in Dynasty mode in NCAA, but the same still remains that playing the CPU is nerve racking. That will be on both games though

CLW
08-12-2010, 12:55 PM
If for basically only Franchise mode, I wouldn't purchase. Franchise mode is this game is so incredibly broken, it's not funny. When you have rookies coming in that are basically superstars already (and not just one or two here or there, but at least 4 or 5 a draft) it completely destroys the competitive balance of the rosters. Hell, even 7th rounders come in at like 65 overall and then you have guys like an 85 overall FB that doesn't get drafted at all so he's free game in free agency.

Like I said, it's so broken, it's not funny.

Yeah it was AWFUL last year too. I could only get two seasons in before I lost all interest. Online dynasty wasn't any better either as guys made idiotic trades (i.e. Colts owner traded away Manning after Year 1 for draft picks)

I honestly couldn't help you out in this one. I haven't played franchise is 3-4 years I believe. I would say if you were going to be playing online against straight people then I'd say purchase it from the gameplay standpoint alone. I don't have a bias towards either but I feel the gameplay is slightly different from NCAA, for example pursuit angles. I don't think the CPU ever takes bad angles in NCAA and they are always in or can get into position...atleast on Heisman. At the same time there is so much more to immerse yourself into in Dynasty mode in NCAA, but the same still remains that playing the CPU is nerve racking. That will be on both games though

Yeah from what I'm hearing I think I'll pass on Madden. NCAA 11 is keeping me pretty happy so far. I have a GameFly subscription too so I need to play some other games like Red Dead and several others that are on my queue as well.

I just hope EA doesn't continue the every other year pattern that is developing now with BOTH NCAA and Madden. NCAA 09 had the big hit of online dynasty (I think madden pretty much had nothing). Madden 10 had Online Franchise and great gameplay improvements (NCAA was a BUST in my eyes). NCAA 11 has been solid with gameplay improvements and dynasty wire. Madden 11 doesn't have anything that NCAA doesn't already have that I'm really interested in and they did nothing to Franchise mode (allegedly a HUGE change to franchise mode is coming for Madden 12).

NatureBoy
08-15-2010, 10:53 PM
http://i.usatoday.net/communitymanager/_photos/game-hunters/2010/08/11/maddenx-wide-community.jpg

If you're a diehard Madden NFL fan, then you're well aware the game is out now for all major consoles. You also know the series has sold more than 85 million units since it debuted in 1989 and you're probably well versed in the Madden Curse.

But we'll bet you don't know everything about the new game, so we tapped EA Sports senior producer Phil Frazier to let us in on eleven things you didn't know about Madden NFL 11. Let us count the ways:

1. To create the playbooks for Madden NFL 11, designers watch the actual "all 22" tape that real NFL coaches use to evaluate game film. EA SPORTS had to be labeled as a 33rd NFL franchise by the league in order to get these tapes.

2. Plays chosen for you via GameFlow are based on actual run/pass percentages of NFL teams from last season. All situations were evaluated including a variety of down and distance situations, two-minute offense, etc.

3. More teams in the game use shotgun and wildcat formations thanks to some valuable information from Coach Madden. In a number of conference calls with the design team he mentioned that more and more teams are using both of these formations on a regular basis.

4. Madden NFL 11 is the first sports game to feature an active league commissioner. Roger Goodell makes a cameo appearance in the brand new Super Bowl win sequence.

5. Broadcaster Gus Johnson expelled so much energy recording his lines for the new Super Bowl victory sequences that he could only do one per session.

6. If you total up all of his time on microphone, Gus Johnson, our new play by play announcer, recorded more than 70 hours of dialogue.

7. The design team spent time with NFL coaches, including Tennessee Titans Offensive Coordinator Mike Heimerdinger, to help rebuild the zone blocking matchup system.

8. To help create a more realistic and noticeable difference between players in the NFL, they hired 12 different size athletes to do motion capture for the new locomotion feature. Athletes ranging from heavy to skinny all performed sprints, cuts, stops, etc. to help make sure the new mo-cap (motion capture) looked amazing.

9. Madden NFL 11's new running animations were captured on a 40-yard-long motion capture stage -- the first time any EA product has used a stage so large.

10. The brand new presentation system in Madden NFL 11 contains more than 250 banners, 493 scriptable scenes, and 754 presentation packages.

11. To create the New Meadowlands Stadium, used this season by the New York Jets and New York Giants, our environment artist took almost 1,000 detailed pictures of the stadium under construction.

LINK (http://content.usatoday.com/communities/gamehunters/post/2010/08/eleven-things-you-didnt-know-about-madden-nfl-11/1)

jaymo76
08-16-2010, 01:27 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6nzoiPs6B0

Found this comparison on you tube.... wow!!! 11 vs 2k5. It's a great watch. Madden has the look down but 2k still owns presentation!

skipwondah33
08-17-2010, 07:33 AM
It's pretty tough to go back and forth between NCAA's pre-snap methodology and the Strategy Pad in Madden. Oddly enough, I've left the game speed at default in each title and have enjoyed the difference.

Yes it is a very tough transition from one game to the next. The pre-snap audibles are a brand new again after dealing so much with the strategy pad and getting use to it. I also felt the speed of the game was ALOT different even though I play both on Normal. Seems like players in NCAA move alot faster as a whole, even the lineman. I thought ball trajectory was a bit low at times as well or NCAA players had longer arms and can jump higher lol.

Its definitely hard to transition effectively between the two if you play one more than the other.

JBHuskers
08-20-2010, 04:26 PM
ian_cummings

Quick summary: Madden NFL 11 quitters are getting punished now, in ranked and Ultimate Team games. Blog coming soon (I hope).

Quick summary part II: victims of quitters still get their wins in ranked games / prorated coins in MUT. Blog coming soon (I hope).

steelerfan
08-20-2010, 05:58 PM
Have any of you guys messed with HUT in the NHL 11 demo? I'm curious how similar it is to MUT. Surprisingly, HUT seems fun in NHL. It may actually hold my interest longer than BAP or EASHL have been able to do. Just wondering how MUT is similar/different.

EDIT: nm, I just discovered my copy of Madden 11 is here, lol.

Rudy
08-21-2010, 07:16 AM
What the heck are MUT and HUT?

SmoothPancakes
08-21-2010, 07:48 AM
What the heck are MUT and HUT?

Madden Ultimate Team and Hockey Ultimate Team. Sort of as a quick, easy way to explain it as I'm at work and getting ready to leave, think of it sort of as a auto draft fantasy football/hockey team with cards. You get a pack of cards (plenty enough for a full team), and playing games with that team and whatnot get you points to buy new cards of better, higher rated players and improve your team, as well as using certain cards that can increase certain statistics for players you use them on.

Someone else will be able to give you a much better, clearer, deeper explanation of it, but that's my 2 minute, rushed explanation. ;)

cdj
08-21-2010, 12:56 PM
SP's description is pretty accurate and well-described.

Here's an update from Ian Cummings (http://maddennfl.easports.com/blog.action?blogId=quickupdate):

First off, you may or may not have noticed some news that was recently propped to your consoles regarding online quitters. The number one issue that we heard loud and clear out of the community was that rampant quitting had become a major problem in the online experience, both in ranked games and Madden Ultimate Team games. Well we were able to work on this over the last week and then deploy some quick fixes to the server to help deter this practice. The fixes were as follows:

1. Any quitter / disconnecter in a ranked game will automatically be given a loss. The victim will automatically be given a win.
2. We are currently monitoring the leaderboards and planning on zero’ing out the stats of any accounts found to be using quitting tactics (via high DNF / win percentages and game logs). This monitoring will be standard practice moving forward as well, as we have built in notifications to our server team that will automatically zero out any folks caught “boosting”, or using one account to quit immediately and award a win.
3. In a Madden Ultimate Team game, a person quitting will have a game burned off of his contracts for the players in the game to discourage this practice. The victim will always receive coins, prorated based on the percentage complete of the game (i.e. if it’s the 1st quarter, he’ll only get ¼ of the coins he would have gotten if he were to finish, if it’s at the end of the game, he’ll get ~90%, etc). The same note applies as above on anyone caught “boosting” after this fix is rolled out – they will be punished with bans, contract removals, or any other tactics we see fit.
4. We also found an issue where PDLC OTP boosts were being subtracted incorrectly. Anyone that had this happen has had their boost coin purchase refunded.

One thing I should note is that there is a bit of a trade-off with stats with the auto-loss / auto-win implementation. Since we wanted to roll this out as quickly as possible, there is one thing to be aware of in that average stats will take a hit when a quit occurs. What I mean by this is that if you have played 3 games and are averaging 100 rush yards per game, if a quit occurs, your rush average will drop down to 75 since you have a 4th game with zero stats. We will look into addressing this down the line but we wanted to get the fix out for the quitters as soon as possible.

Moving forward, we are working on addressing some of the most common feedback in upcoming title updates. You all already know that we are planning on releasing an update to enable old-school pre-play controls right around the start of the NFL season, which also will include the brand new Madden Moments LIVE feature where you can replay the top games from each week. In that update we will also have numerous art, gameplay, and stability fixes included as well. Along with that, we have also planned a second update to come towards the end of September. Below is a list of the top priority issues we seem to be hearing the most about that we are looking at:

- Fixing a bug to allow friend invites to ranked games
- Generally making pass defense more effective
- Reducing number of broken tackles
- Fixing user blitz exploit(s)
- Tuning injuries
- Tuning CPU & GameFlow play-calling logic
- Improving play action blocking
- Improving kick return blocking
- Improving online connectivity issues with kick meter lag, media streaming, etc.
- Random stability improvements

Hopefully this should give you a glimpse of our current priorities and our continued commitment to keeping Madden NFL 11 relevant and giving you an enjoyable experience over the entire year. We continue to listen for any and all top issues, and the list above is by no means all inclusive or locked so feel free to drop by the EA Forums to provide any feedback on things you want fixed.

Lastly, thanks to all of you for buying and playing Madden NFL 11…see you on the gridiron!

SmoothPancakes
08-21-2010, 01:28 PM
SP's description is pretty accurate and well-described.

I was hoping I had it mostly right, as it was a very rushed, 2 minute long attempt at explaining. :D

I actually haven't really done much with Madden Ultimate Team. I dabbled around with it a little bit in Madden 10, but I really never got into it too much. It was maybe a couple days at most. Now the Hockey Ultimate Team, just from playing with it for 3 or 4 games in the Rookie tournament while playing the NHL 11 demo on Tuesday, I think I might end up throwing a good amount of time into HUT when I get the full game.

CLW
08-21-2010, 02:29 PM
Just spent some time reading thoughts from the community and I finally decided to just pass on this game. NCAA 11 is keeping me pretty happy and Franchise mode is pretty much broken and the same as the previous seasons. I'll pass and hope EA puts some effort into offline franchise mode for 12.

morsdraconis
08-22-2010, 11:35 AM
Just spent some time reading thoughts from the community and I finally decided to just pass on this game. NCAA 11 is keeping me pretty happy and Franchise mode is pretty much broken and the same as the previous seasons. I'll pass and hope EA puts some effort into offline franchise mode for 12.

I felt the same way. If I hadn't of gotten it early (and for free), then I wouldn't have gotten the game at all either.

I OU a Beatn
08-22-2010, 03:36 PM
I just played a random online game against someone on XBL. I was down 49-28 with 2:35 left in the game and came back to win 50-49. Most exhilarating 2 and a half minutes of my life. :D

I'll post full details later. Unfortunately I didn't have to stupid video capture stuff hooked up. Ugh.

Kwizzy
08-23-2010, 08:55 AM
Got home from a bachelor party in KC yesterday & my copy was waiting for me. Thanks CDJ! Lookin forward to checkin this game out. Has anyone messed with the sliders yet? Is there anything that really needs a boost or drop (pass rush, cpu run game, etc..)? I'll probably start out on All-Pro.

CLW
08-23-2010, 01:38 PM
I felt the same way. If I hadn't of gotten it early (and for free), then I wouldn't have gotten the game at all either.

That seems to be a pretty consistent view point. I think I saw somewhere that Madden 11 sales are down 3% from 10 which of course was down from 09 which was down from 08 etc....

Bucking that trend NCAA 11 was up from 10 but still down compared to the "glory days" both in terms of units sold and $.

steelerfan
08-25-2010, 09:35 AM
Try this on for Presentation, lol.

I've been simming Franchise Mode with the Steelers. I decide to watch Super Bowl LV since the Steelers are playing (against Washington) at Dallas Cowboys Stadium (wouldn't Cowboys fans be sick to have that matchup in their stadium, lol). The pregame shows fans outside of the stadium in the rain. Next, it shows rain inside the stadium and I think "shouldn't the roof be closed?" Finally we hear the National Anthem end and the familiar sound of a flyby. The camera pans up and we see the inside of a closed roof as the camera follows a flyby it can't see. The entire game is played indoors in a downpour. Nice, lol.

The good news is that the Steelers won their 7th Lombardi, 31-24. The bad news is that it was 10 years from now. The worst news is that Obama was still the President, lol.

SmoothPancakes
08-25-2010, 09:47 AM
The worst news is that Obama was still the President, lol.

Yeah, that was one thing that concerned me when I saw the video of the Super Bowl celebration with the White House visit and stuff. You could sit there 20 years down the road in franchise, and you'll still have the exact same president every single year for the entire length of the dynasty. If they're going to do WH visits with the celebration, hell, even if they have to just create random presidents, at least make it work and not have the same president for 20 years in a row.

JBHuskers
08-25-2010, 09:52 AM
I was hoping in the future in the franchise this would be the president.....

http://www.maxheadroom.com/images/mh_maxhead_reagan.jpg

cdj
08-25-2010, 10:01 AM
Try this on for Presentation, lol.

I've been simming Franchise Mode with the Steelers. I decide to watch Super Bowl LV since the Steelers are playing (against Washington) at Dallas Cowboys Stadium (wouldn't Cowboys fans be sick to have that matchup in their stadium, lol). The pregame shows fans outside of the stadium in the rain. Next, it shows rain inside the stadium and I think "shouldn't the roof be closed?" Finally we hear the National Anthem end and the familiar sound of a flyby. The camera pans up and we see the inside of a closed roof as the camera follows a flyby it can't see. The entire game is played indoors in a downpour. Nice, lol.

The good news is that the Steelers won their 7th Lombardi, 31-24. The bad news is that it was 10 years from now. The worst news is that Obama was still the President, lol.

I wondered if they showed the Presidential ceremony in franchise mode - that is pretty bad that it shows the same thing every year.

steelerfan
08-25-2010, 01:40 PM
While the Presidential deal is kinda silly, I could overlook that. Having it rain inside of a domed stadium...that one I can't overlook, lol.

Not a huge deal to me, but the teams were using the wrong sidelines too. The Steelers bench was on the side that was painted maroon and had a Redskins logo and Washington's bench was on the side that was painted yellow and had a Pittsburgh logo.

SmoothPancakes
08-25-2010, 04:18 PM
While the Presidential deal is kinda silly, I could overlook that. Having it rain inside of a domed stadium...that one I can't overlook, lol.

Not a huge deal to me, but the teams were using the wrong sidelines too. The Steelers bench was on the side that was painted maroon and had a Redskins logo and Washington's bench was on the side that was painted yellow and had a Pittsburgh logo.

Oh yeah, definitely that too. That certainly needs to be looked up because this just plain a glitch/issue that there should be absolutely no reason for it to happen.

cdj
08-25-2010, 07:44 PM
Donny Moore has just posted on twitter that they are aiming for their next Madden roster update this weekend.

jaymo76
08-31-2010, 04:31 PM
I have now played five games. I am using my skill. Normally I use custom but I am tired of tinkering so I just went with it. I am 1-4... lost four staright... that's a first since 2k3!!!

Quick Impressions:

1. The game is FUN... IF you are in PLAY NOW.... franchise is identical and super boring after another year of ZERO changes
2. No D rumours are false... the cpu has stellar run D BUT pass D is pretty weak and zones are awful.
3. Cpu comeback AI is alive and well... all 4 losses I had the lead going into the fourth Q.
4. Play now Super Bowl... AMAZING PRESENTATION!
5. Gus Johnson... I get it, you like football... please calm down now.
6 Gameplay is great.... hands down best Madden next gen gameplay and IMO slightly better than NCAA 11
7. Stadiums and lighting are gorgeous.... Dallas Super Bowl~ WOW!!!
8. Commentary is far worse than NCAA and very repetitive
9. Create a team~ absolutely attrocious... TEAMBUILDER needed for Madden 12
10. Broken IR combined with huge injuries makes franchise mode unplayable... again.

Overall NCAA is a far superior game but Madden's gameplay is slightly better. I would not buy this game if I had to choose but overall it plays a fun game of football if you don't want any bells and whistles (aka deep features). I need to play a few more games to get a better feel.

steelerfan
08-31-2010, 05:55 PM
I think the commentary triggers too late and that seems to be the biggest issue with it. GJ is never on time (look at the stat leaders, even if you don't skip it - he's saying that now is a good time to look at them when they're no longer on the screen). He says almost nothing during the play and his annoying. Way of making. One sentence. Into several. And putting too much STRESS. And EMPHASIS. On EVERYTHING. Gets. Old. Quickly.

JBHuskers
08-31-2010, 06:17 PM
I don't see how in year one people can complain about Gus Johnson after SO MANY PEOPLE complained about Tom Hammond. :D

morsdraconis
08-31-2010, 06:19 PM
I don't see how in year one people can complain about Gus Johnson after SO MANY PEOPLE complained about Tom Hammond. :D

I don't like video game commentary at all. It's always been terrible. It's just that NCAA Football has been the least terrible.

JBHuskers
08-31-2010, 06:22 PM
Gus is a million times better than Tom, I was half expecting a disconnect this year with having Collinsworth already in the game and adding in Gus. I wouldn't be surprised that next year it will gel a whole lot better.

steelerfan
08-31-2010, 06:51 PM

That's where we've been lucky with NCAA. Same crew year in, year out. Every time Madden changes, it's back to zero. TH was abysmal. GJ is just bad right now, but definitely better than TH. I really think the biggest problem with Gus is not what he says, but when. This falls on the devs, not on GJ. If they tighten it up (the timing that is) it won't be bad. Look at NHL or The Show (heck, IIRC MLB 2k8 was great).

I will say that if I had to play a season with the Chargers and hear GJ sing (off key), "San Diego Super Chaaar-gers" every time I scored, I would be miserable.

jaymo76
08-31-2010, 07:32 PM
I admit it... I actually liked Hamond... now that you've stopped laughing... seriously I did like him because he was such an improvement from the radio guy. I just wish this game could figure out its PRESENTATION direction.

Weird Facts:

1. You buy the ESPN license and use NONE of it
2. You stop using Madden all together in a game called "Madden."
3. Collinsworth gives you colour... NBC
4. Johnson gives you play-by-play CBS
5. Extra Point from the NFL Network

cdj
08-31-2010, 07:49 PM
I will say that if I had to play a season with the Chargers and hear GJ sing (off key), "San Diego Super Chaaar-gers" every time I scored, I would be miserable.

Ha! Play a game at Oakland with the Raiders - just as bad. I agree - the issue is more the timing of it than anything.

I admit it... I actually liked Hamond... now that you've stopped laughing... seriously I did like him because he was such an improvement from the radio guy. I just wish this game could figure out its PRESENTATION direction.

Weird Facts:

1. You buy the ESPN license and use NONE of it
2. You stop using Madden all together in a game called "Madden."
3. Collinsworth gives you colour... NBC
4. Johnson gives you play-by-play CBS
5. Extra Point from the NFL Network

I wonder how much control the NFL has in what they can do. Would they let Madden NFL use ESPN when the NFL has their own network? With games split between CBS, NBC, FOX, ESPN, & NFL Network, I'm guessing we're going to see a generic presentation layout in the franchise for a long time.

CFB's main networks are ESPN, ABC (owned by same company) and then conference arrangements with FSN, CBS, and some other networks. When the biggest carrier of your games is owned by one family of networks and they show games from all conferences, that may be why NCAA Football was able to get ESPN broadcast integration. The same would go for ESPN in NBA ELITE. The NBA Network doesn't have the same pull or carry as the NFL Network and ESPN/ABC carry most of the televised games.

Rudy
09-01-2010, 05:48 AM
The truth is Madden has always had repetitive and bad commentary. Probably the worst of all sports video games every year which is embarrassing since it has the most resources.

skipwondah33
09-01-2010, 08:07 AM

Surprisingly he doesn't say it that much. In one of my leagues coming up my team is the Chargers so I play alot of practice/lab games with them (probably 25-30 so far and I've only heard about 8 times tops...and I have scored quite a few times in every game.

The truth is Madden has always had repetitive and bad commentary. Probably the worst of all sports video games every year which is embarrassing since it has the most resources.

Doesn't NCAA as well? Even since Corso stopped doing the commentary, Herbs and Fowler are using lines from 3-4 years ago.

steelerfan
09-01-2010, 08:20 AM
Hmm. I played 1 game against SD and heard it 2 or 3 times, maybe an anomaly, idk.

morsdraconis
09-01-2010, 12:36 PM
Doesn't NCAA as well? Even since Corso stopped doing the commentary, Herbs and Fowler are using lines from 3-4 years ago.

But that's fine. I have no problem with their commentary.

The real issue is the DRASTIC difference in style that Madden has used since getting rid of John and Al and it just seems like there's no volume equalizer being used. One guy is really quiet and then the other guy is screaming in your ear.

At least with NCAA, it's all the same volume (like in real life).

I'll be the first to admit that I normally don't even play with sound on the game anymore. I just listen to music while I play now because it's just easier.

I OU a Beatn
09-01-2010, 11:16 PM
Madden 11 is about to go to Gamestop in exchange for NCAA Football 11. It's like two entirely different issues. On NCAA, the man defense is so ridiculous that you can't move the ball. On Madden, if you throw for under 400 yards in a game, you're probably retarded. Hell, run corner routes all game and you're guaranteed to put up at least 40. Get one stop and you're good to go.

morsdraconis
09-01-2010, 11:24 PM
Madden 11 is about to go to Gamestop in exchange for NCAA Football 11. It's like two entirely different issues. On NCAA, the man defense is so ridiculous that you can't move the ball. On Madden, if you throw for under 400 yards in a game, you're probably retarded. Hell, run corner routes all game and you're guaranteed to put up at least 40. Get one stop and you're good to go.

Man coverage isn't anywhere close to as bad as it was on NCAA and once they fix the pump fake issue, online will probably be fun again (besides the normal bullshit).

I OU a Beatn
09-01-2010, 11:27 PM
It'll still be laggy. I don't understand how Madden can be so smooth online and NCAA is jerky as fuck. It's been the same exact way the past 2 years and it's getting kind of ridiculous. NCAA on PS2 was smooth as hell and I was on a DIAL UP connection for most of that. They haven't had a single smooth game online this generation on the NCAA series, which is severely disappointing. I am waiting until they patch the pump fake glitch. I don't want to have to spend $50 on a new controller when I inevitably throw it out the window after seeing the glitch.

JeffHCross
09-01-2010, 11:45 PM
Madden 11 is about to go to Gamestop in exchange for NCAA Football 11How long did I give you before you gave up on it? ;)

I don't see how in year one people can complain about Gus Johnson after SO MANY PEOPLE complained about Tom Hammond. :DI was talking with my dad about this the other night. The central problem is that announcers like Gus thrive on emotion and improvisation. His entire career, everything we love about him, is about that. Trying to capture Gus's emotion (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkiM3tBJVhk) in a video game is an utterly impossible endeavor, especially in one year. The catalog of audio you'd need to even begin to render his commentary properly ... there's simply no way it would work.

Lee Corso was the same way in NCAA. Admit it ... the first time you heard some of his audio, you probably were amused. Shaking your head, smiling. The second time even, maybe. The problem, and this is the problem across all sports games, is repetition. When you have a unique personality in your commentary, the repetition kills it.

For a final example ... look at NHL 10's Stanley Cup Celebration (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQ3bzqCgt6U). Great commentary. However ... I've seen it maybe a half dozen times, and I've heard practically the same thing every time. That ruins it after the first few times.

I OU a Beatn
09-02-2010, 12:04 AM
It's not my fault. I think I have a legitimate complaint. I can't enjoy a football game if I'm only getting half of the game - the offensive half. :D

morsdraconis
09-02-2010, 12:35 AM
It's not my fault. I think I have a legitimate complaint. I can't enjoy a football game if I'm only getting half of the game - the offensive half. :D

I totally feel ya there but because of the sliders and the fact that I hate playing online against people, I actually feel the opposite right now. I feel like I can shut down any team with just about anyone on defense.

I mean, I've built up my team in year 6 of my offline teambuilder dynasty to the point where they're perennial Big East Conference Champs (won 6 in a row now with the last being a Boise State like beatdown of my fellow conference foes) and in those 6 years, I've won 3 or 4 BCS titles and another BCS bowl to go along with it. I've yet to have a losing season and, in general, I'm simming games against poor opponents just so I can get past them. Pretty bored of it now, to say the least. I guess I could start over, but where's the fun in that?

JeffHCross
09-02-2010, 12:40 AM
Basically, Madden 11 is a much, much smoother version of NCAA '11 with slightly fewer flaws. The smoothness of online play and the fact that I wont have to deal with man press and stretch/toss plays every down is more than enough to sway me in Madden's favor.

I give you three weeks, tops, before you're decrying Madden the same way you did NCAA.

I'm well aware that something will crop up within a few weeks that will kill online play

Apparently I have to type something first in order to be able to do this ...
:D :D :D :D :D

steelerfan
09-02-2010, 01:21 AM
For a final example ... look at NHL 10's Stanley Cup Celebration

Your point, IMO, is valid.

The above example, however, falls flat.

When you compare the repetitive nature of a championship celebration video (that someone should strive to see once, or a few times at most) to something you may hear every time it's 3rd and short, you're reaching at best. Even if you're only referring to it as an emotionally-charged sequence.

Rudy
09-02-2010, 05:15 AM

I honestly don't notice them repeating lines because I think the commentary flows well in NCAA. Nessler does a great job and they do a good job of mixing in random lines from a huge database. With the old Madden games, Madden would be guaranteed to say everything in his audio database within a game and a half. I don't feel that way at all about NCAA football. I think people are too critical of the commentary myself but I do miss Corso's humour.

As for Gus Johnson, this guy is like the #4 announcer on the CBS team. Just because people like him doing basketball games didn't mean he should also do Madden football. I will say this though - I think there are a lot of good college football announcing crews compared to the really weak group of NFL crews I hear today. Moose Johnston is lousy on Fox and he's the #2 team. Dierdorf is a good #2 guy on CBS but they get pretty thin after that as well.

skipwondah33
09-02-2010, 07:21 AM
I honestly don't notice them repeating lines because I think the commentary flows well in NCAA. Nessler does a great job and they do a good job of mixing in random lines from a huge database. With the old Madden games, Madden would be guaranteed to say everything in his audio database within a game and a half. I don't feel that way at all about NCAA football. I think people are too critical of the commentary myself but I do miss Corso's humour.

Funny part is that I only play the game two to three times a week and I notice the same stuff being said..though I will say they aren't anywhere near the repetitiveness of what Corso's lines were. Its like that in both games but after a while I block it out honestly.

JeffHCross
09-02-2010, 03:22 PM
Your point, IMO, is valid.I agree that the two examples are of slightly different scope and scale. However, I was using it as a final example of something that really drew me in the first time, but the repetition really detracted from it after the first viewing.

I was particularly bothered by that one because the NHL 10 demo had put a lot of emphasis on the "buy NHL 10 to see the full Stanley Cup Celebration!", and it was almost the exact same as what I'd seen on the demo, with the same commentary.

But yeah, it's a big difference between repetition of the Stanley Cup Celebration and repetition of 3rd & 1. I guess the reason I thought of it is that, at first, I thought it was a really great post-championship celebration. Then after realizing how repetitive the commentary was, it wasn't so great (though was still far better than some of their competition).

steelerfan
09-02-2010, 03:26 PM
I agree that the two examples are of slightly different scope and scale. However, I was using it as a final example of something that really drew me in the first time, but the repetition really detracted from it after the first viewing.

I was particularly bothered by that one because the NHL 10 demo had put a lot of emphasis on the "buy NHL 10 to see the full Stanley Cup Celebration!", and it was almost the exact same as what I'd seen on the demo, with the same commentary.

But yeah, it's a big difference between repetition of the Stanley Cup Celebration and repetition of 3rd & 1. I guess the reason I thought of it is that, at first, I thought it was a really great post-championship celebration. Then after realizing how repetitive the commentary was, it wasn't so great (though was still far better than some of their competition).

Understood.

JeffHCross
09-02-2010, 10:24 PM
Understood.For the life of me, I can't think of the word ... but people have been discussing lately that Nolan North doing the voices in a lot of games is actually detracting from the experience. The opposite of immersive. ARGH, I can't think of the word!!!

That's what I kinda feel like once I notice the repetition in sports games, especially during major moments. It's the little things that go a long way. For example, it is repetitive that, at the end of every post game, Brad talks about how one team wins and the other loses. But actually putting in the records, and talking about win streaks, and whether or not a team was undefeated before the loss ... that goes a long, long way.

It's weird, but I'm starting to feel like it's the little things that make a bigger impact on me than the big features.

jaymo76
09-04-2010, 08:33 PM
Just played another two games in my Lions franchise. I am now 3-1. Played a great game against GB and won 31-28 in OT. I was down 14 with five mins left. It was a great game. As I said earlier, Madden is a fun game. The only thing really holding it back is lack of depth and options. However, I will say that this game is very similar to NCAA 09. I went back over my stats for the last four games (franchise) and the lowest amount of yardage (me or the cpu) has been 326 yards. The highest yardage total came from the cpu (Philly had 622 yards!!!). Hopefully the first patch will tone down the offense a little bit. I love offense but it's just too much.

cdj
09-04-2010, 11:24 PM
Hopefully the first patch will tone down the offense a little bit. I love offense but it's just too much.

I think it was LeBron James who posted on twitter that he was enjoying Madden but thought the broken tackles were ridiculous. :D

JBHuskers
09-05-2010, 01:48 PM
I think it was LeBron James who posted on twitter that he was enjoying Madden but thought the broken tackles were ridiculous. :D

Yeah Ian took a capture of that tweet with his cell and posted it on his Facebook account :D

JeffHCross
09-05-2010, 01:59 PM
I'm not sure I would want to keep record of that if I was Ian. :D

CLW
09-05-2010, 06:24 PM
I'm not sure I would want to keep record of that if I was Ian. :D

I'd go with that one. If someone who I presume is a casual player at best commenting on how silly something is you know the hard core fan cannot be pleased. Are Madden 11 sales still down compared to last year?

JeffHCross
09-05-2010, 07:37 PM
Well, not just that ... but you're being openly called out by a sports celebrity.

Rudy
09-05-2010, 07:42 PM
I think if you please the hardcore you will please the casual gamer. The casual gamer just plays at a lower difficulty setting but still want a realistic engine.

CLW
09-05-2010, 08:38 PM
Well, not just that ... but you're being openly called out by a sports celebrity.

Granted. However, last I checked he wasn't very popular anywhere except South Beach.

cdj
09-07-2010, 07:28 AM
Madden update 1.02 now available for PS3, 360 expected later today.

Adds in old pre-snap control system, Madden Moments Live, Breast Cancer Awareness pack, and more.

cdj
09-07-2010, 12:23 PM
Full details of title update #2 (http://maddennfl.easports.com/blog.action?blogId=titleupdate2):

Salutations from the Madden team to our community. Today, we are pleased to announce the release of the 2nd title update, bringing with it a brand new game mode for you to enjoy as well as some fixes, improvements, and new content. Below is a summary of what to expect when you see that bar hit 100%:

Note: PS3 users will automatically update if they are signed online. Xbox 360 users will also automatically update, but will need to download the Madden Moments LIVE DLC separately (it’s a free download you can find in the Xbox 360 menu under “game content”)

Madden Moments LIVE: Ever dream of recreating the pivotal moments of a big game? Madden Moments LIVE allows you to do exactly that and more. No pre-game here; Madden Moments LIVE drops you right into clutch situations and tests your ability to be a true playmaker. Each week over the course of the season, the Madden team will be releasing new moments for you to enjoy from the biggest NFL games of the weekend.

We’re kicking things off with “March of the Saints,” a series of Madden Moments LIVE that put you in control of Drew Brees and the “Who Dat” nation as they stage some of the most improbable comebacks in recent history on their road to the Super Bowl.

Remember their answer for Miami’s Wildcat offense after being down by 21…Can you bring the Saints back? How about the game they literally stole in Washington, even after losing the coin toss in OT…Can you get the stop and a score of your own? What about that epic NFC Championship game…Do you have what it takes to make Brett Favre retire (again)? There’s only one way to find out, and it’s absolutely free in the 2nd title update. Start playing some online games to collect some coins, though, because future Madden Moments LIVE entries will be purchasable every week. You can even stay ahead of the game and purchase the whole season’s worth. Madden Moments LIVE is just one of the ways the team we can show we are committed to supporting our games post-release and extend to life of Madden NFL 11. You can expect 2-4 new moments each week, and we’d love to hear some suggestions from you on our forums about which moments from the 2010 season YOU think deserve to be called “Madden Moments.”

Content Updates:

Pre-Play Functionality

• You asked for it, you got it! Pre-play functionality makes its return to Madden. A new menu option called, “Strategy Pad Shortcuts” is available. When turned on, you will see the hot routes, coverage audible, and shifts menus using the same buttons as Madden NFL 10.

Ultimate Team Improvements

• You can now view your opponent’s lineup in Ultimate Team

• New iem tiers added

Breast Cancer Awareness Month

• Breast cancer awareness mode is now available for play. You can access it by scrolling right from “Play Now”. In addition, franchise games that take place in October (in Franchise mode, not next month) will be given this theme. The Madden team is proud to support the NFL in the fight against breast cancer.

Miscellaneous

• Scouting has been added to Online Franchise games

• Fixed overtime rules for preseason and regular season in Franchise mode

• Online Franchise: Fixed a feedback issue when commissioners attempted to add friends via Online ID

• Tie breakers for divisional winners now work correctly in Online Franchise

• Fixed issues resulting from challenging a play after using Supersim

• Fixed a feedback issue where the game wasn’t informing players when their selected storage device had insufficient space, which could cause data loss

• Fixed a feedback issue related to the tracking of tie breakers for division clinchers

• Fixed a menu pop up problem when an opponent resumes, calls timeout, or uses a challenge while a player has the Friendly Quit pop up on screen

• Multiple game stability fixes implemented

• Miscellaneous gameplay balancing (with more coming in title update #3)

Presentation

• Multiple lighting tweaks for improved stadium lighting

• Numerous improvements to player models and uniforms – including Titans AFL, Jets throwbacks, Vikings alternates, Jaguars uniforms

• Many camera shot improvements improved & tweaked for cut scenes

• Fixed a warping animation on the placekicker during FG and extra point attempts

Server Side

• Added penalization to quitters and awards to users to help address quitting in Ultimate Team head to head games

• Added various Game Reporting improvements for unranked games and Online Franchise. Also included various game stat fixes

• Fixed an issue where too many boosts were being deducted for each OTP game

• Fixed an issue where posting a card for auction would incorrectly show the length of the contract

• Fixed an issue with Ultimate Team injuries so that injured players will correctly come out of depth charts and lineups at the end of a game, and players will not be able to enter new games without addressing injuries and readjusting depth charts

• Fixed an issue where Ultimate Team coin rewards were incorrect for quitters

We are well aware that some of the current high priority issues out there are not yet fully addressed in this title update, so a quick reminder that the turnaround time from the 3rd party approval process is lengthy, and this update basically was completed right when the demo came out. As we mentioned in this blog a couple of weeks ago, there is another nice batch of updates and improvements coming right around the corner (see that blog for the prioritized list that we’re looking at). One specific update we’re looking to implement is correcting the QB spy glitch. You can expect this change and others as part of our next patch, which is on track for release in the 2nd half of September.

Regardless, we hope that this update will get you charged up and ready to hit the virtual field. You’ve got Madden Moments LIVE, you’ve got your old-school pre-play controls back, you’ve got a bunch of other fixes, the NFL season is upon us…so now it’s time to get on the sticks. See you on the gridiron!

I OU a Beatn
09-07-2010, 02:33 PM
Nice start. Give me a better pass rush, better zone defense, better man defense, fix the broken tackles, and fix the online lag in some games and I'll be happy.

ram29jackson
09-15-2010, 08:29 PM
seriously- what idiots are paying for madden moments ?

and does ps3 have any reward points that i'm unaware of that I can use for anything ?

cdj
09-16-2010, 07:03 AM
I haven't looked at the Madden Moments Live yet, but can you use the in-game coins to purchase them instead of cash?

steelerfan
09-16-2010, 10:36 AM
Granted. However, last I checked he wasn't very popular anywhere except South Beach.

Hmm. I didn't know Ian was popular in South Beach. ;)

jaymo76
09-19-2010, 02:02 AM
I've had this game for a few weeks now and still haven't finished one season. This has never happened to me before. The game plays a fun, somewhat arcadish game of football. However, I just don't have any reason to play franchise as I did the identical one for Madden 10. I walked by an EB gAMES/Gamestop on Saturday and in all honesty, there must have been 7-8 Madden 11 used copies. You never see that so early...

cdj
10-07-2010, 06:42 AM
Week four of Madden Moments Live will be free, thanks to Verizon Wireless (http://maddennfl.easports.com/news.action?newsId=maddenmomentswk4).

I haven't given the MML much playtime yet, but may have to now with some of them being free.

ram29jackson
10-09-2010, 04:39 PM
popped madden in again to get the new Randy Moss roster haha

played a game using Vikings and noticed they have all the pink accessories in a play now offline game.

used gameflow and the stupid thing put Favre in a wildcat formation play

Davidmj444
10-17-2010, 03:50 PM
So I just got the game and I'm in franchise. A few years in I decided to relocate. I changed my uniform and stuff and at first when I was editting the stadium it didn't have my logo or my colors so I couldn't really choose what went on my field. Then when I finally get to play with my new uniforms and stadium, instead of the uniforms being my black and red like I chose, they're green and purple. What? It showed the fans in the stadium wearing jackets and stuff with the red and black colors, but my uniforms are green and purple? Can someone explain what happened? Also, is there a way to change my uniforms wihtout relocating?

JBHuskers
10-21-2010, 12:35 PM
New title update includes friend invites for Madden Ultimate Team...YES!

jaymo76
10-23-2010, 10:43 PM
So I just got the game and I'm in franchise. A few years in I decided to relocate. I changed my uniform and stuff and at first when I was editting the stadium it didn't have my logo or my colors so I couldn't really choose what went on my field. Then when I finally get to play with my new uniforms and stadium, instead of the uniforms being my black and red like I chose, they're green and purple. What? It showed the fans in the stadium wearing jackets and stuff with the red and black colors, but my uniforms are green and purple? Can someone explain what happened? Also, is there a way to change my uniforms wihtout relocating?

The relocation options in Madden are absolutely awful. I would love to see a team builder format in Madden 12 so that we could get a more authentic team creator option. Then and only then will my Raiders make their triumphant return to LA!

cdj
10-25-2010, 09:03 PM
Madden 11 in 3D (http://espn.go.com/espn/thelife/videogames/blog/_/name/thegamer/id/5725483/code-unlocks-madden-11-3d?readmore=fullstory)

Think you've seen everything there is to see in "Madden NFL 11"?

Time to rub your eyes and take another look, only this time you need to throw on a pair of glasses with red and cyan lenses.

That's right, "Madden 11" is going 3-D.

Thanks to the ongoing partnership between EA Sports and Doritos, gamers can head to stores and pick up specially branded "Madden" 3-D bags of chips. Each bag has a unique code that consumers can input on the website Doritoschangethegame.com. Once the code is entered and the gaming platform is selected (Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3), the system generates a Doritos 3-D code that unlocks the mode in "Madden 11."

The special bags of Doritos hit stores Monday, and exclusive "Madden" 3-D glasses will be inserted inside ESPN The Magazine when the latest issue arrives in stores Nov. 5. (However, any pair of traditional 3-D glasses with red and cyan lenses will work to view the game in 3-D.)

"I can't believe we were able to keep this a secret for so long," said Chris Erb, senior director of partnership marketing for EA Sports. "We were expecting someone to find this early.

"But we wanted to add something into the game that was relevant, something that people are talking about, but at the same time we wanted to make the 3-D accessible to everyone. You don't need a 3-D TV. You don't need expensive glasses. So we partnered with Doritos to figure out the right way to make that happen, and I think it looks great. It adds layering to what we already have. You can toggle it on or off, and I think the cool thing about it is that it's the entire game in 3-D, so I think people will find different things to enjoy about it, from the weather to the stadium effects to the passing game. I'm excited to play a bunch of games in Seattle in the snow and see that stadium with the weather effects."

This is EA Sports' third campaign with Doritos this year, and the two have partnered on everything from the first "Madden" cover vote to special "Madden"-inspired flavors of chips such as Stadium Nacho.

"We've been working with EA Sports for over a year," said Michael Fox, Frito-Lay's marketing manager. "So when we started talking about trying to challenge and how to do something different, we started throwing 3-D around and got really excited. Then we started seeing the game, and it's absolutely phenomenal. When you're playing and it's snowing, it looks like it's snowing in your room."

So does this mean that gamers can expect even bigger things with "Madden" 3-D in future games?

Erb says that for now, at least, the goal is about reaching as many people as possible, not just those who've invested thousands into bringing the technology into their home theaters.

"I think the fun thing about doing this with Doritos was being able to reach a mass audience that is accessible to everybody," Erb said. "I think [EA Sports president] Peter Moore and the brand teams are going to work real hard on figuring out what the next step in 3-D is, but I think it's about waiting for that install base to reach the right level. We need to make sure that it's worth the investment. Because 'Madden' is so broad, the accessibility play is very important to us right now. It's about finding the right partner to introduce that to everybody, and the Doritos brand is one of the strongest in the world, so to be able to partner with them on an NFL game and to be able to reach this mass audience has been cool. It's a fun feature that I'm having a lot of fun with, and I hope everyone else does, too."

jaymo76
11-03-2010, 10:35 PM
So has anyone actually tried the Madden 3d???

JeffHCross
11-04-2010, 11:14 PM
So has anyone actually tried the Madden 3d???Pasta did.

http://www.pastapadre.com/2010/10/29/madden-11-3d-impressions

There is no need to bother with the 3D mode for Madden 11 unless one is a masochist. It is a hassle to add the option as the purchase of chips, glasses, and the entering of codes in multiple places is required. Then it is literally painful to play with it activated.

jaymo76
11-05-2010, 07:33 PM
Pasta did.

http://www.pastapadre.com/2010/10/29/madden-11-3d-impressions

WOW! That is not a ringing endorsement. I didn't have much interest in it to begin with and since I don't really eat Doritos I'm not out anything.

cdj
11-05-2010, 10:10 PM
You can enter the nine-digit code from any Lay's product into the website and you can get a code for Madden 3D. I used the code from a bag of Baked Lay's chips, but now I need the glasses to test it.

You can get a nice pair for $2.99 straight from Doritos on the site or get the pair that comes in ESPN The Magazine next week.

JBHuskers
11-05-2010, 11:23 PM
Since I get ESPN The Magazine, I might give it a try....but really don't have much interest.

Coachdenz
11-07-2010, 06:32 PM
anybody here can a online league going? just picked up Madden today.

jaymo76
11-08-2010, 10:26 PM
A buddy of mine who loves Madden told me he heard a podcast from Ianbasically saying why it's nearly impossible to fix the IR issue. That does not sound good for Madden 12. Anyone else hear this? I looked for it online but could not find anything...

gschwendt
11-08-2010, 10:42 PM
A buddy of mine who loves Madden told me he heard a podcast from Ianbasically saying why it's nearly impossible to fix the IR issue. That does not sound good for Madden 12. Anyone else hear this? I looked for it online but could not find anything...
I haven't listened but I assume this is the one:
http://media16.podbean.com/pb/393be4c7d7797cac7b7fcf6c59c99960/4cd8d11c/blogs16/308722/uploads/MaddenPodcast115.m4a

cdj
12-08-2010, 03:42 PM
Week 14 roster update out tomorrow.

Welcome back to 99 Overall-ville Tom Brady and Adrian Peterson! This week, both Brady and Peterson get the highly coveted 99 Overall rating back after outstanding performances.

Approximately 125+ transactions, rating adjustments and depth chart moves are updated in this Week 14 update.

Four Team Overall ratings updated this week. The Patriots are the biggest winners with a 2 point boost to 92 Overall (the best in Madden NFL 11 currently) while the Jets suffer the biggest drop to 89 Overall.

FULL LIST (http://maddennfl.easports.com/news.action?newsId=Week+14+Roster+and+Ratings+Upda te)

cdj
12-12-2010, 12:23 PM
A great article from USA Today on the dev team's visit with John Madden last week:
Spend a day with the team crafting 'Madden NFL' (http://www.usatoday.com/tech/products/2010-12-10-1Amadden10_CV_N.htm)

As time runs out on the meeting, game designers note some ideas they will explore as they try to transform Madden's insights into game features:

•Better integration of screen plays.

•Replays that more clearly show how the defense reacted in the previous play.

•An option that would let players feel more like Manning by calling two consecutive plays in the huddle or at the line of scrimmage.

jaymo76
12-19-2010, 07:45 PM
I have had an NFL itch the last two days so I have got some Madden games in. I am 5-5 in my Lions chise. That is the worst I have ever been this late into a season. The game has now been patched FIVE times. I am not that into the game due to ZERO franchise improvements. However, after the last two patches I can't run the ball at all. After losing to Dallas 22-10 my rush stats 19 carries for 25 yards. Jevon Best had a wopping 1.9 ypc avg. Now I love playing competitive games but this is ridiculous. On most run plays the D is in the backfield before I get the snap. The worst thing though... the cpu knows your play before you run it. I am running a sweep to the right. Why is the D in a nickel with two defenders and an OLB to the right waiting when I have zero players in that area and I have overloaded the left??? Frustrating...

Coachdenz
12-21-2010, 07:54 PM
Madden to me is boring at hell. Take away Game Flow or what ever it's called what other features did they add this year? I mean to be honest the only thing I like about it this year is the soundtrack.
I have yet to finish 1 game while playing. Madden is dead to me.

cdj
12-22-2010, 05:58 PM
Madden to me is boring at hell. Take away Game Flow or what ever it's called what other features did they add this year? I mean to be honest the only thing I like about it this year is the soundtrack.
I have yet to finish 1 game while playing. Madden is dead to me.

I don't know what it is, but I agree that Madden seems to lack an identity or pulse compared to NCAA Football. Though, fans of college football (moreso than the NFL at least) say that about comparing real-life action, so maybe each game is doing a nice job of representing the sport. I do agree though, the game just isn't engaging for some reason. I think it plays relatively well, so the problem must lie (mainly) in presentation, atmosphere, commentary, etc.

cdj
12-22-2010, 06:00 PM
The Top 50 plays called in Madden NFL 11 on offense and defense, courtesy Ian Cummings:

http://thegamingtailgate.com/images/misc/Madden11Top50Plays.jpg
(Image via Operation Sports (http://www.operationsports.com/news/461707/top-50-most-frequent-offensivedefensive-plays-called-in-madden-nfl-11/))

All plays run in Madden and the Top 50 based on average yards per play:
http://thegamingtailgate.com/images/misc/M11Top50PlaysRun.png

From Ian: That version of FL Drag Under has apparently only been called like 14 times, with 2 interceptions.

Rudy
12-22-2010, 07:19 PM
I don't know what it is, but I agree that Madden seems to lack an identity or pulse compared to NCAA Football. Though, fans of college football (moreso than the NFL at least) say that about comparing real-life action, so maybe each game is doing a nice job of representing the sport. I do agree though, the game just isn't engaging for some reason. I think it plays relatively well, so the problem must lie (mainly) in presentation, atmosphere, commentary, etc.

So true. College atmosphere and style of play is a lot better in NCAA than the NFL. I'm sure that many would disagree but it's very true to me. Every NFL team runs a similar system and most coaches manage to not lose the game/minimize mistakes rather than try to do whatever it takes to win. The fans sit on their hands and leave early to beat the traffic. Losing a game is no big deal because it's a long season and many teams make the playoffs. Look at how bad it's going to be when the NFC West champion gets in the playoffs with a losing record while there might be a 10-6 team that sits out. But only the BCS is unfair (despite historically getting it right no matter how much potential there is to screw up).

I seriously wonder how successful the NFL would be if they removed fantasy football and gambling.

jaymo76
12-23-2010, 01:25 PM
Wow! Say what you will about Madden 11 (and I'm not a fan by any stretch...) but after the fifith and final patch and seriously tweaked sliders this plays a decent game of football. After three days off and a Madden rush for the FIRST time in MY Madden career (going back to 2002) I missed the playoffs. With Detroit I went 9-7 which is the most amount of losses I have ever had (once I had 6 losses in 2k3 but the most ever in Mannde has been 5). There was a four way tie for the sixth playoff seed but NY Giants edged me out because of an early season loss.

Let's be honest, the presentation is absolutely awful, the broadcasters are weak, there are zero franchise updates, IR doesn't work, there is a complete lack of depth, etc, etc etc. However, to be fair, since the fourth and fifth patch, the GAMEPLAY, is actually very enjoyable. I didn't think I would have said that back in August!

JeffHCross
12-23-2010, 04:18 PM
The Top 50 plays called in Madden NFL 11 on offense and defense, courtesy Ian Cummings3 of the top 4 plays have negative yardage. Lmao.

EDIT: Wait, something seems horribly off about the Yds/Play numbers. Seems like most of the offensive numbers are negative while all of the defensive numbers are above 2. That doesn't compute.

JeffHCross
12-23-2010, 07:19 PM
Latest Madden podcast is up. PastaPadre participated and has a short write-up about it: http://www.pastapadre.com/2010/12/23/latest-madden-developer-podcast-featuring-pastapadre

morsdraconis
12-24-2010, 06:01 AM
3 of the top 4 plays have negative yardage. Lmao.

EDIT: Wait, something seems horribly off about the Yds/Play numbers. Seems like most of the offensive numbers are negative while all of the defensive numbers are above 2. That doesn't compute.

That's what I was thinking. Doesn't seem right to me...

cdj
12-24-2010, 08:32 AM
All plays run in Madden 11 and the Top 50 based on average yards per play:
http://thegamingtailgate.com/images/misc/M11Top50PlaysRun.png

From Ian: That version of FL Drag Under has apparently only been called like 14 times, with 2 interceptions.

cdj
12-24-2010, 08:33 AM
Ian also tweeted that right 70-75% of all play calls are being made via GameFlow. Though, with that being the default that will definitely drive up the numbers IMO.

CLW
12-24-2010, 09:48 AM
Ian also tweeted that right 70-75% of all play calls are being made via GameFlow. Though, with that being the default that will definitely drive up the numbers IMO.

Wow that's crazy. I guess the "casual" "masses" either like it or don't know how to turn it off. Everything I have read has been pretty negative about GameFlow (particularly bad play calling).

jaymo76
12-24-2010, 01:02 PM
Wow that's crazy. I guess the "casual" "masses" either like it or don't know how to turn it off. Everything I have read has been pretty negative about GameFlow (particularly bad play calling).

Play calling on D can be somewhat questionable but if you take the time to fully create your gameplan then the gameflow feature isn't too bad. I usually use my gameflow for offense (and use a lot of audibles) and use my full playbook for D.

Rudy
12-26-2010, 06:03 AM
Ian refused to accept the fact the gaming audience doesn't share some of his desires. Gameflow isn't that popular, much like his new audible system, OTP, and dual stick controls. But keep ignoring franchise mode because that makes the masses happy. The fact he hasn't implemented user/cpu sliders for special teams and has kept a global system makes no sense.

JBHuskers
12-27-2010, 08:22 AM
Yeah I can't stand the Strategy Pad, even though I got used to it, but I use it less compared to NCAA, the system just makes no sense.

I used GameFlow for about four games, but when I went to implement my own game plan, it would call the same play all the damn time.

CLW
12-27-2010, 09:11 AM
I haven't even had an itch to play Madden. I really enjoyed the game more last yr (much more than NCAA). However, online franchise was BROKEN and offline Franchise mode was even worse.

Do you guys think they finally revamp Franchise/Online franchise in 12 or do they just give up on getting Franchise guys to play Madden and stick with the online play now East Roomers?

JBHuskers
12-27-2010, 10:05 AM
I've recently picked the game back up to play Ultimate Team.

I sure as hell hope they fix what's missing in online franchises....a salary cap is NEEDED. As to if it gets done this year...hard to say, feels like it's due since it's not been changed for so long.

skipwondah33
12-27-2010, 10:55 AM
I exclusively play online (not ranked or lobby games) but in sim-style leagues and an online franchise. May just be me but I didn't think too many people played offline anymore. I don't have the patience to tweak every slider to get a "realistic" enjoyable game from the CPU, I only play on All-Madden and the last time I played a game against the CPU it was unreal.

cdj
12-27-2010, 08:11 PM
Do you guys think they finally revamp Franchise/Online franchise in 12 or do they just give up on getting Franchise guys to play Madden and stick with the online play now East Roomers?

I got the impression from the second Madden dev podcast that Madden 12 will see a lot of Franchise improvements, but not necessarily everything that was in NFL Head Coach - at least not in one year's time.

Rudy
12-28-2010, 06:08 AM
I got the impression from the second Madden dev podcast that Madden 12 will see a lot of Franchise improvements, but not necessarily everything that was in NFL Head Coach - at least not in one year's time.

Where have I heard that one before. "I need more time." They have had the Head Coach guys on staff for years now and still do next to nothing. Ian said last summer that big franchise changes take more than one year and then admitted they hadn't worked on anything. It became a running joke in some areas that if you want something in Madden, add it to the Madden 13 wishlist and it might get done.

I've recently picked the game back up to play Ultimate Team.

I sure as hell hope they fix what's missing in online franchises....a salary cap is NEEDED. As to if it gets done this year...hard to say, feels like it's due since it's not been changed for so long.

Ian said they didn't work on online franchise this year because it wasn't utilized much the previous year but absolutely refused to accept any blame for not having a salary cap for the online franchise. He said the lack of features had nothing to do with the failure of that mode. Baloney. Then he puts all his online time in OTP which had to be a disaster in terms of useage.

I'd like to see the average number of OD guys vs. copies sold in NCAA 11 vs. online franchise guys vs. copies sold in Madden 11. If OD is popular in NCAA there is no reason why an NFL game can't have a successful online franchise mode.

jaymo76
12-28-2010, 03:11 PM
Where have I heard that one before. "I need more time." They have had the Head Coach guys on staff for years now and still do next to nothing. Ian said last summer that big franchise changes take more than one year and then admitted they hadn't worked on anything. It became a running joke in some areas that if you want something in Madden, add it to the Madden 13 wishlist and it might get done.

Ian said they didn't work on online franchise this year because it wasn't utilized much the previous year but absolutely refused to accept any blame for not having a salary cap for the online franchise. He said the lack of features had nothing to do with the failure of that mode. Baloney. Then he puts all his online time in OTP which had to be a disaster in terms of useage.

I'd like to see the average number of OD guys vs. copies sold in NCAA 11 vs. online franchise guys vs. copies sold in Madden 11. If OD is popular in NCAA there is no reason why an NFL game can't have a successful online franchise mode.

Yeah I am so tired of hearing "next year" from the Madden team. I loved Madden 10 and was so excited about major francise updates for Madden 11... and we got nothing. I hate to say 2k5 but come on EA... a six year old game is still light years ahead of where Madden should be. Madden 12 may well determine if I am finished with the series or not.

Rudy
12-28-2010, 03:52 PM
Don't talk about 2K5 if you are talking about franchise mode. They had competing offers but the cpu teams only drafted one of four positions in the first round. They had some really bad things in franchise mode. The weekly presentation show was the best part about it.

Honestly, the biggest way to spruce up Madden's franchise mode it to add morale. Dealing with players whining about playing time and having negative morale affect player performance would make it more interesting. I'd love to see agents added to the game with huge demands and different things a player looks for when signing. Close to home? Potential champion? Chance to compete for starting job? These types of things and promises would add a lot to the offseason.

cdj
02-06-2011, 04:52 PM
Here's a great article on team selection in Madden NFL 11 for every NFL team and shows what caused a spike or drop in their selection: Gamers Mimic the Season's Up and Downs (http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2011/02/05/sports/football/madden-superbowl-graphic.html?ref=football)

JeffHCross
02-06-2011, 05:05 PM
The team with Vick was the most popular all year.

Shocker.