PDA

View Full Version : ModNation Racers (PS3)

I OU a Beatn
05-18-2010, 06:06 PM
This game shall be sweet. Demo is out now on the Playstation Store weighing in at almost a full gig.

JeffHCross
05-18-2010, 09:40 PM
A full gig demo? That's impressive.

Can't wait for the game, though I think it's going to be first week of June before my shipment comes in.

I OU a Beatn
05-18-2010, 10:13 PM
I was actually kind of turned off by the demo. Everything is great except the actual racing, which just felt like it wasn't an important piece of the equation. I still might buy it, but I was really bummed out by the demo.

JBHuskers
05-19-2010, 11:53 PM
This game shall be sweet. Demo is out now on the Playstation Store weighing in at almost a full gig.

Downloaded the Tiger 11 Demo, and that was 1.7 GB LOL

I am definitely tempted on this game, was in the beta. But right now there are so many games I want to play ahead of this one.

JeffHCross
05-22-2010, 06:39 PM
IGN review -- 9.0.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/108/1087498p1.html

Rudy
05-22-2010, 06:56 PM
This looks like it could be fun although I wouldn't pay full price for a game like this. I briefly checked out the demo and the editing options are cool.

JeffHCross
05-22-2010, 11:10 PM
For those on the fence about the content creation, here's a sampling of what you can do with the character creator: http://www.bitmob.com/articles/modnation-racers-mario-iron-man-jesus-krusty-and-more

I OU a Beatn
05-24-2010, 07:09 PM
I went ahead and bought this and it should be here Wednesday. I really hope it's better than the demo.

JBHuskers
05-24-2010, 07:54 PM
I went ahead and bought this and it should be here Wednesday. I really hope it's better than the demo.

I had fun in the beta, but it's not a buy for me. Would get Blur ahead of this.

JeffHCross
05-24-2010, 09:05 PM
So far I'm loving the demo.

jaymo76
05-24-2010, 09:34 PM
I am going to need to download this and check it out. I love customization and from what I have read that aspect of the game is excellent.

JBHuskers
05-24-2010, 09:40 PM
I am going to need to download this and check it out. I love customization and from what I have read that aspect of the game is excellent.

Very much so.

JeffHCross
05-24-2010, 09:47 PM
I am going to need to download this and check it out. I love customization and from what I have read that aspect of the game is excellent.Absolutely. Look at Post #7 (http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/forums/showthread.php?127-ModNation-Racers-(PS3)-5-25&p=1488&viewfull=1#post1488).

JBHuskers
05-24-2010, 09:53 PM
Absolutely. Look at Post #7 (http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/forums/showthread.php?127-ModNation-Racers-(PS3)-5-25&p=1488&viewfull=1#post1488).

I love that Charlie Brown one haha!

JeffHCross
05-24-2010, 10:42 PM
The Iron Man and Rorschach were my favorites. The Stig was pretty damn cool to see too.

UGA14
05-25-2010, 11:33 AM
Well I bought it. Played the demo and enjoyed it.

UGA14
05-25-2010, 11:55 AM
Alright, found one problem I hope they fix. Online races. Ranked online race, first one I race I win. But of course the guy disconnects. So now I get a DNF in my race. Nice to see people are still mature.

JeffHCross
05-25-2010, 09:17 PM
Lol. Sadly that will probably never change. I've heard that Undisputed has already had a problem with quitters left and right.

JeffHCross
05-25-2010, 11:20 PM
I had fun in the beta, but it's not a buy for me. Would get Blur ahead of this.Blur gets a 7.0 from IGN: http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/142/14222095/vids_1.html

jaymo76
05-25-2010, 11:38 PM
Demo is pretty fun. Sad to admit it but my wife beat me in 2 out of 3 head-to-head races... how will I ever live this down lol

JeffHCross
05-25-2010, 11:46 PM
By boosting your self-respect with the realization that you have a significant other (which puts you in a unique class on the gaming Internets forums by itself) who will play video games with you (even more rare). ;)

I OU a Beatn
05-25-2010, 11:52 PM
Ah Gamestop, you had been on such a roll. You had a bunch of great preorder bonuses for games I wanted. You had midnight releases for those games. You even had great online prices and I was able to pick up several games on your site that were cheaper than everyone else. Well, the good ol' Gamestop I know and hate reared it's head. I preordered ModNation Racers yesterday at 12:05pm EST with overnight shipping. I later look at the thing and realize that I would have needed to place it buy 12pm EST if I wanted it the next day. I call Gamestop and they say I have to wait until tomorrow. First of all, that's a bunch of bullshit. I was 5 minutes late so you can't fill the order? Uh, okay. I check later tonight to see who they shipped it with, and the bastards STILL haven't shipped it. I called once again and they tell me it'll be on the first shipment tomorrow and I'll get it Thursday and of course, I couldn't get a refund for the overnight shipping. :D Doucebags.

JeffHCross
05-25-2010, 11:57 PM
I preordered with Amazon a month ago and because I picked the free shipping (also getting a book and DVD), I won't be getting it until after the holiday.

D'oh!

I OU a Beatn
05-26-2010, 12:09 AM
Amazon is amazing, man. I love them so much when it comes to ordering games. As long as you place your order by 6pm, they'll have it at your doorstep the very next morning for like $10. If you preorder it, their release day shipping is like $5 and it works the same way. They just really suck at getting preorder bonuses.

cdj
05-26-2010, 07:29 AM
How is the actual racing? In the beta, I knew the creator would be awesome but couldn't get into the actual racing part.

UGA14
05-26-2010, 09:16 AM
I like the actual racing, personally. I think it's pretty fun.

I OU a Beatn
05-26-2010, 12:30 PM
They STILL haven't shipped it. WTF Gamestop? :D

If it doesn't get here tomorrow, expect full on IOU meltdown. I haven't had one in awhile, but this would do it.

I OU a Beatn
05-27-2010, 12:53 PM
I like to call him Mr. Badass:

http://modnation-production.s3.amazonaws.com/player_creations/258795/preview_image.png

And his trusty cart:

http://modnation-production.s3.amazonaws.com/player_creations/259186/preview_image.png

UGA14
05-27-2010, 12:55 PM
Lol, I love the customization. I hope they fix online so it is easier to get in races.

Rudy
05-27-2010, 03:57 PM
That's pretty cool IOU. Heck, I kind of want the game right now just to check out that stuff. I'm not a big racing guy either.

JBHuskers
05-27-2010, 04:04 PM
In the beta I put an old school TV antenna on the back of my car :D

JeffHCross
05-28-2010, 03:34 PM
I preordered with Amazon a month ago and because I picked the free shipping (also getting a book and DVD), I won't be getting it until after the holiday.
Lasership to the rescue! I have no idea who this company is, but they apparently specialize in same-day delivery. I think the proximity of living closely to the airport works in my favor in this case. Amazon e-mailed me last night that my order was shipping, and it was out for delivery via Lasership this morning at 7:45 am. Got it when I came home from work.

Happy, happy weekend for me!

How is the actual racing? In the beta, I knew the creator would be awesome but couldn't get into the actual racing part.I'm the complete opposite. I've been playing the demo every night, just doing race after race after race. This is one of the best AIs I've seen in a racing game. They're cagey and shit.

cdj
05-28-2010, 03:41 PM
I'm the complete opposite. I've been playing the demo every night, just doing race after race after race. This is one of the best AIs I've seen in a racing game. They're cagey and shit.

I'm really glad to hear that. In the early beta, I felt the racing was lackluster and void of the same engaging atmosphere that Mario Kart is typically known for. I may have to pick this up when it drops in price. Thanks for the feedback.

JeffHCross
05-29-2010, 02:09 AM
Tried my first online race tonight. Got a big adrenaline rush for taking the lead, only to fall back to 3rd before the end of the race. And promptly DNF'd because, I presume, the guy in 4th disconnected.

Gonna need to figure out how to get out of those situations ...

I OU a Beatn
05-29-2010, 09:46 AM
I've run about 8 or 9 races online and only won one of them. They've been filled with heart break though. I've lost a race by getting taken out and then respawning only to get taken out again right by the finish line and finished 2nd. I've had someone somehow pass me right at the finish like and win by like .23 seconds after leading the whole race. I've driven off a cliff on the final lap while leading too. :D

JBHuskers
05-29-2010, 02:59 PM
Man there are too many games I need to catch up on, and I just bought Blur....just not sure I will get this one in the near future, but damn it looks fun. If I get sick of Blur, maybe, but there seems to be a contingent of 360 friends who get together to play it frequently, which is why I bought it.

JeffHCross
05-29-2010, 03:17 PM
The first race I was in that actually finished ... I lost by .166 or something like that. It was on a track I'd never raced before, and I somehow caught the leaders on the final lap. Went off the final jump and on the landing got stuck on some geometry or something and my momentum went dead. 2nd place just barely nipped me at the line.

I was first in the unofficial results too :(

jaymo76
05-30-2010, 12:40 AM
Bought the game today. I love the customization. However, the biggest drawback... there should be a TWO-PLAYER CAREER MODE. Not being able to play two player really hurts the longevity of this game IMO. I do enjoy building things but that only goes so far.

Rudy
06-01-2010, 07:40 PM
I love some of the karts guys have made. The General Lee? Awesome. http://community.modnation.com/en-us/creations/karts?sort_column=downloads

I'm starting to get the itch for buying this game but I know I wouldn't get my full monies worth with NCAA 11 coming out soon and I'm still playing MLB 2K10 regularly. If I see a good sale I may pull the trigger.

jaymo76
06-01-2010, 08:20 PM
I love some of the karts guys have made. The General Lee? Awesome. http://community.modnation.com/en-us/creations/karts?sort_column=downloads

I'm starting to get the itch for buying this game but I know I wouldn't get my full monies worth with NCAA 11 coming out soon and I'm still playing MLB 2K10 regularly. If I see a good sale I may pull the trigger.

It's worth the purchase but I only play for an hour or so at a time. I do however expect to enjoy this game for a long, long time.

UGA14
06-01-2010, 09:21 PM
It is fun. I actually found a lot of XP races today, though still with only like 4-6 player fields. Still fun.

cdj
08-03-2010, 09:24 PM
From Joystiq:

Tomorrow, ModNation Racers, uh, racers can download Title Update 1.02, which addresses long load times, squashes some bugs, improves server stability and adds a new "casual" difficulty level. The update will go live at 2:00 a.m. PDT and also brings with it a bunch of changes to the community site including race logs, tracking systems for monitoring your favorite creators (and their favorite creators), plus friend and rep search utilities, according to the PlayStation Blog.

Speed demons looking to expand their roster of racers can also download Nukular and Kart this week, a new ride and driver who look like they just leapt out of Mad Max or something. All we can say is we'd definitely steer clear of the guy on the track with the huge plow on the front of his ride. Just saying!

Anybody still playing this one or looking forward to the update?

JeffHCross
08-03-2010, 09:27 PM
I'll probably pick it back up for a few days after the update hits. It's a fun game, I just got distracted with other stuff and never put it back in.

jaymo76
08-04-2010, 12:20 AM
I'll probably pick it back up for a few days after the update hits. It's a fun game, I just got distracted with other stuff and never put it back in.

Wow! Forgot I owned this game. The NCAA demo, then retail, the Madden demo, NHL 11 hype, throw in the world cup... it's been a busy few months. I will need to get playing this again at some point.

JeffHCross
08-04-2010, 12:21 AM
Yeah, that's pretty much what happened with me. Mod Nation dropped in May, then Transformers in June, NCAA in July, throw in my vacation and all the time I spent working on my Teambuilder team, and I've just been swamped whenever I get home.