PDA

View Full Version : UFC Undisputed 2010

JBHuskers
05-17-2010, 12:32 PM
Is anyone getting this one? I'm mainly getting it because of a few pre-order bonuses and also to kinda give some compare and contrast for EA Sports MMA.

JBHuskers
05-17-2010, 12:34 PM
Interesting enough...Pasta Padre just posted this story:

http://www.pastapadre.com/2010/05/17/rumor-thq-to-announce-code-requirement-to-play-ufc-2010-online

Yet EA Sports gets raked over the coals for the Online Pass. But yet the EA haters fail to see the fact that this is the way business evolves in the digital current-gen console age....MANY companies are going to be doing this.

texacotea
05-17-2010, 12:53 PM
Thinking about preordering this, I like the gameplay but as said in the EA thread I have trouble with the ground game. Maybe its something I need to work on or just get used to the controls. What system you getting it for JB

JBHuskers
05-17-2010, 01:09 PM
Thinking about preordering this, I like the gameplay but as said in the EA thread I have trouble with the ground game. Maybe its something I need to work on or just get used to the controls. What system you getting it for JB

PS3 .... if I end up not liking it I may sell. For 2009, I played quite a bit in career, and some online...but once I quit playing, I never went back to it. Especially after playing EA Sports MMA, it may be hard to go back to UFC. I just wish I could expand on that sentence right now but can't LOL.

texacotea
05-17-2010, 01:26 PM
understand. I like UFC and more than likely will get it just need to work on my stick skills. Isnt Kimbo supposed to be on it? Not that im a fan or anything but wondering if Dana White would ask for him to be removed since he is horrible

JBHuskers
05-17-2010, 02:33 PM
Waaaaaay too late in the dev process to remove him. Even two or three months before release would have pushed it, if Kimbo had fought back then and was released.

I OU a Beatn
05-17-2010, 04:19 PM
I can technically get it for $40 with free shipping, but I don't know if I'd even that much out of it. It seems like an exact copy of last year's game, and there's a bunch of games coming out around that time, so I haven't made up my mind yet.

texacotea
05-17-2010, 05:36 PM
I can technically get it for $40 with free shipping, but I don't know if I'd even that much out of it. It seems like an exact copy of last year's game, and there's a bunch of games coming out around that time, so I haven't made up my mind yet.

this is my problem right now, alot stuff coming out that I think I can get more out of at the time

cdj
05-17-2010, 09:52 PM

I haven't followed this one as closely as I would like, but I'm under the impression most of what they added is in terms of online play, community, and networking. The real die-hard UFC 2009 fans will probably love it, but I know I won't utilize that aspect much, if at all.

I think (hope) the Career Mode got a big boost as well. That's what I played mainly last year, so I hope it's more engaging than 2009. I liked the game, but like JB said, once I put it away I never went back even though I wanted to.

cdj
05-17-2010, 09:53 PM
Interesting enough...Pasta Padre just posted this story:

http://www.pastapadre.com/2010/05/17/rumor-thq-to-announce-code-requirement-to-play-ufc-2010-online

I can't believe they waited until 8 days before release to announce it.

JeffHCross
05-17-2010, 10:01 PM
I can. Release "bad"/controversial news as late as possible.

Plus, try to get those last minute "Oh, I guess I should pre-order instead of waiting for a used copy"

JBHuskers
05-19-2010, 12:23 PM
I decided to cancel my preorder. I played the demo fresh off the EA MMA community day and couldn't get into it at all. After Friday, I'll be able to talk more about EA MMA.

I OU a Beatn
05-19-2010, 01:42 PM
I haven't played(or followed)EA's MMA, but I was turned off by the demo of UFC 2010...so much so that I'm not even willing to spend $40 on it with free overnight delivery. I don't know, it's just way too similar to last year's and feels way too random to me. Not to mention their tutorial sucks and even though I know most of the moves, I don't really appreciate developers putting forth lackluster efforts.

JBHuskers
05-19-2010, 02:03 PM
I haven't played(or followed)EA's MMA, but I was turned off by the demo of UFC 2010...so much so that I'm not even willing to spend $40 on it with free overnight delivery. I don't know, it's just way too similar to last year's and feels way too random to me. Not to mention their tutorial sucks and even though I know most of the moves, I don't really appreciate developers putting forth lackluster efforts.

There were some hardcore MMA fans at this community day, and they were all in agreeance about how EA MMA plays compared to UFC. On UFC, the stand-up game is horrible. The movements are so slow, and so are the actions. It's like punch-stand there-punch-stand there....

I think people are going to really be impressed with how intuitive the controls for EA MMA are going to be.

I OU a Beatn
05-19-2010, 02:16 PM
Good to hear. I definitely notice the slowness and stiffness of the fighters on UFC when they're standing up, and is probably my number one complaint with it. I'll definitely wait on MMA in that case.

JBHuskers
05-19-2010, 02:19 PM
Good to hear. I definitely notice the slowness and stiffness of the fighters on UFC when they're standing up, and is probably my number one complaint with it. I'll definitely wait on MMA in that case.

Don't forget you can just put those UFC guys into EA MMA with Photo GameFace :)

cdj
05-19-2010, 09:27 PM
I'm going to cancel mine as well. Though I am sure it'll be a good game, I just don't think I will get $60 enjoyment out of it. Red Dead Redemption will take up my gaming time leading up to Tiger 11 and then NCAA 11.

texacotea
05-20-2010, 05:39 AM
The punch stand there...is really a turn off and it seems that all you can really do is power punch. I agree it is slow and you never really feel any urgancy when fighting.

JeffHCross
05-20-2010, 10:16 AM
I think people are going to really be impressed with how intuitive the controls for EA MMA are going to be.EA's MMA game is going to make my memories of EA holding the WCW license even worse, isn't it?

JBHuskers
05-20-2010, 10:32 AM
EA's MMA game is going to make my memories of EA holding the WCW license even worse, isn't it?

Not sure what you mean.....if you mean that it's going to ruin the MMA game, not at all.....what it will definitely do is get more people interested in Strikeforce. The gameplay is going to speak for itself as it is already above UFC in pre-alpha.

JeffHCross
05-20-2010, 10:44 AM
Opposite direction. The WCW licensed games, if you never played them, were like ET (Atari) level of fail. Or Batman & Robin level of license fail.

So EA pulling off a really excellent MMA game will probably make me feel even worse about how badly they botched the WCW games.

Then again, treating it as a EA Sports brand (which it is) rather than as an entertainment brand is probably one reason for the quality difference.

JBHuskers
05-20-2010, 11:08 AM
Opposite direction. The WCW licensed games, if you never played them, were like ET (Atari) level of fail. Or Batman & Robin level of license fail.

So EA pulling off a really excellent MMA game will probably make me feel even worse about how badly they botched the WCW games.

Then again, treating it as a EA Sports brand (which it is) rather than as an entertainment brand is probably one reason for the quality difference.

I see what you're saying....all but two of us had never been to a community event before, and they are huge fight fans....so they definitely would not have held back any kind of negative feedback. It was unanimous in terms of positive feedback on the game play.

Flav
05-25-2010, 06:26 PM
Anyone pick it up? I'm still debating if I want to get it or not

I OU a Beatn
05-25-2010, 06:32 PM
I'm not going to. I played more of the demo today(already played it extensively) and I just can't get into it. I really want to, but the robotic movements and the seemingly randomness of some of the knockouts really turn me off. Not to mention a lot of the animations suck. In the replay, half the punches that I connect on don't even show my fist hitting the guy, but rather whiffing by a foot or literally going like a foot through his opponent's body.

Flav
05-27-2010, 01:50 PM
I just picked it up :) I'll post impressions after a few matches

I OU a Beatn
05-27-2010, 02:00 PM
I'd probably get it if the stupid submission moves weren't on the right stick. I actually got a blister playing the demo from twisting the sucker around trying to get out of a submission. Talk about terrible control layout.

JBHuskers
05-27-2010, 02:42 PM
I'd probably get it if the stupid submission moves weren't on the right stick. I actually got a blister playing the demo from twisting the sucker around trying to get out of a submission. Talk about terrible control layout.

Agreed, that's what EA MMA does much better, it will be a combo of timing with the left stick and buttons to pull a submission off. After playing that, UFC just felt sluggish to me.

JBHuskers
05-31-2010, 09:34 PM
Amazon has this for 360 for $39.99 already. I'm hoping it stays that way until I get my $20 credit for pre-ordering Tiger 11 sometime next week.

JBHuskers
06-04-2010, 03:52 PM
Pasta posted an article today stating sales are below expectations....

http://www.pastapadre.com/2010/06/04/ufc-2010-selling-below-expectations

Last year UFC 2009 broke onto the scene with huge sales numbers exceeding even the most optimistic of expectations. The game went on to be the highest selling sports title in the US behind only Madden 10. UFC 2009 seemed to catch gamers by surprise with its demo and then an impressive final product (particularly for a first attempt) which and in turn led to fantastic word-of-mouth carrying it beyond just hardcore UFC fans. UFC 2010 Undisputed arrived without the benefit of that surprise factor and early reports have the game performing below expectations.

Gamasutra has posted an article discussing the disappointing sales for UFC 2010. Major issues with the game spurred initial backlash from gamers and a perception that THQ was deceptive with their implementation of a code to access online play clearly has damaged the continued sales of the game and its image. I noted on Twitter a few days ago that Amazon had dropped the price to $40. That simply is not typical for such a high profile game and just a week after it hit stores.

Heading into UFC 2010’s release there was a sense that the excitement level wasn’t quite there in the same way it was last year. It seems as though there are a number of factors to consider on why that was now looking back on it. It may largely be due to having entered the typical yearly cycle where the improvements are naturally more subtle. The marketing seemed to project the game as more of the same and review wise 2010 scored almost the same as 2009 so there wasn’t anything terribly compelling about it to push more sales. Despite the good word-of-mouth from last year the game remains really difficult to catch on with and that may have turned off some. The controls are confusing and it takes a big investment to get comfortable with them see improvement. There also seemed to be more competition in the marketplace this year, not necessarily from sports games but from other big releases vying for consumer dollars.

Unfortunately we won’t know the official sales numbers until July as NPD has delayed the release of May’s numbers until then. When those are released it will be really interesting to compare them to last year. UFC was thought to have the potential for growth as a franchise and going backwards in the second year would be a big warning sign especially with a competing product entering the market later this year.

JBHuskers
06-04-2010, 03:57 PM
I think UFC and THQ were cocky by being the surprise hit of last year. Thinking they could just repeat it. With so many exploits, bugs, and then UFC throwing the only pay thing out there only a week before release, it was the perfect storm for them to fail.

cdj
08-05-2010, 11:26 PM
- A PSP version is on the way (http://www.joystiq.com/2010/08/05/ufc-undisputed-2010-coming-to-psp/), coming Sept. 7

- GameStop/EB Games have a promotion where you can get $20 off UFC 2010.....if you buy any EA SPORTS title for $29.99 or more. :confused:

I OU a Beatn
08-06-2010, 06:32 AM
So you buy an EA Sports game and you get $20 off a game made my THQ? Makes perfect sense. :D

cdj
08-10-2010, 10:30 AM
From Joystiq (http://www.joystiq.com/2010/08/09/thq-looking-at-longer-development-cycle-for-next-ufc/):

THQ looking at 'longer development cycle' for next UFC

"We thought based on the preorder trends that we saw and what we were hearing from retailers and consumers alike and we built our plans for growth in UFC this year," THQ CEO Brian Farrell said on an earnings call today. However, with 2.7 million units sold relative to last year's 2.9 million units in the same period, it's clear the sequel didn't show signs of "growth." (Was it Red Dead's fault?)

After reaffirming it as "still a top franchise" Farrell told the call, "What we're thinking about – not to necessarily reinvigorate it because it's a great franchise – but as I said in my prepared remarks, we're considering a longer development cycle. 15-, 18-, 21-months between releases rather than annually." That increased development time will, ostensibly, increase product quality and, with fewer releases, increase consumer demand. That combined with the UFC training and fitness game (not to mention PSP ports), Farrell assures analysts that "We think there's a lot of growth to be had with the UFC franchise over the next several years."

Farrell is quick to declare that there will be a UFC game in the next fiscal year. "We will have a UFC title in fiscal '12," he said directly. "The question is timing, as I said. Could it be 15-, 18-, 21-months? That depends on both the scope of the game, the window, and how we want to release that game. As I said in my prepared remarks, we thought maybe a 12-month cycle might be a little quick but it'll be somewhere around 18-months give or take a few months."

If you consider this year's UFC Undisputed 2010 on a 12-month dev cycle, an 18-month cycle would put its successor somewhere around late November 2011, smack dab in the middle of the busy holiday shopping season. Might be a tough spot for a UFC game to fight its way out of.

JBHuskers
08-11-2010, 09:56 AM
Also throw in there that they are going to totally under estimate EA Sports MMA. There is already a buzz by gaming sites after they got a taste of the game at E3, and I know first hand that it's a much more intuitive and better game.

cdj
08-11-2010, 09:57 AM
I find it odd that THQ is ramping up the number and frequency of WWE games as they scale back UFC.

JBHuskers
08-11-2010, 09:59 AM
I find it odd that THQ is ramping up the number and frequency of WWE games as they scale back UFC.

I heard there isn't just one new IP coming, but two in addition to SDvRaw.