PDA

View Full Version : Random College Football Discussion Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9

baseballplyrmvp
01-18-2012, 09:04 AM
USC is selling shirts that say "our 75 are better than your 85" right now

morsdraconis
01-18-2012, 09:13 AM
At least WVU is in the top 10. I was about to be pissed...

psuexv
01-18-2012, 10:34 AM
Funny how they have LSU at #1 and Gunner Kiel a likely starter at QB and he just verballed to Notre Dame yesterday.

AustinWolv
01-18-2012, 11:02 AM
Michigan State will likely struggle more than people think without Worthy on the DL. Replacing Cousins is good and bad, given that he was pretty good at times but threw way too many interceptions than a longtime starter should.

baseballplyrmvp
01-18-2012, 12:29 PM
Funny how they have LSU at #1 and Gunner Kiel a likely starter at QB and he just verballed to Notre Dame yesterday.that article was also written 8 days ago. :D

psuexv
01-18-2012, 12:31 PM
that article was also written 8 days ago. :D

Yeah I was just laughing at the fact that he's no longer there.

baseballplyrmvp
01-21-2012, 05:24 PM
joe paterno reportedly near death (http://twitter.com/#!/BFeldmanCBS). according to feldman

SmoothPancakes
01-25-2012, 04:34 PM
Doubt anything will come of this, but interesting read. Don't have a link as it was sent in an email among the daily Navy football emails/stories sent out by Scott Strasemeier and the Navy Sports Information department.

By Brett McMurphy (CBS Sports)

There is "growing support" among conference commissioners, athletic directors and bowl officials to increase the difficulty of becoming bowl eligible by requiring teams to have seven victories, or a winning record, when the new BCS cycle begins in 2014, multiple sources have told CBSSports.com. The seven-win requirement would also mean a handful of bowls likely would be discontinued because there would not be enough eligible teams to fill all of the current 70 berths. In the past two years alone, 27 teams with 6-6 records were needed to fill all the bowl slots, meaning nearly 20 percent of the bowl field didn't have a winning record.

"The 7-5 discussion is percolating," a bowl official said. "I don't know of many athletic directors or conference commissioners who think a 6-6 team has earned a bowl berth." Teams are now only required to finish .500 (6-6) or better to be bowl eligible. Increasing the number is expected to be discussed at the Football Bowl Association meetings in Miami in April. The university presidents would have to vote for any change as part of NCAA legislation.

If the winning record requirement did pass, bowl sources estimated up to 12 of the current 35 bowls could be "lopped off." Which would go by the wayside? That would not be an easy decision, especially since a number of conferences initially created these bowls to guarantee their teams would have one to play in. ESPN also has created and runs seven bowls that the network utilizes as programming. Even though they have hosted a number of 6-6 teams, it's doubtful ESPN would willingly discontinue any of them.

"I think a lot of people would like to see the increase [in wins] to be bowl eligible, but conferences have contracts with the bowls, and if a bowl has to go dark, that conference gets embarrassed," a bowl official said.

Until 2006, teams had 11-game regular seasons, and schools needed to finish with a winning record (at least 6-5) to be bowl eligible. Before the 2006 season, a 12th regular-season game was added and minimum bowl eligibility was changed to 6-6. In the six years since, 22 of the current 35 bowls have had a team with that record.

Between the 2005 and 2006 seasons, four bowls were added to take advantage of the new 6-6 rule and bigger pool of teams. In the first season 6-6 teams were eligible, only seven went to bowl games. Four years later, despite adding only three more bowls, the number of 6-6 teams that went bowling doubled to 14.

In the past two seasons, 27 of the 140 bowl teams (19.2 percent of the bowl field) were 6-6. Overall since 2006, 59 of the 404 bowl teams (14.6 percent) did not have a winning record.
As I pointed out in Part 1 of my look at the bowl system, <http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/16975644/slipping-bowl-attendance-has-bcs-scrambling-for-reasons-fixes> bowl attendance continues to decline for various reasons. Even Mountain West commissioner Craig Thompson admitted earlier this month there are too many bowls. "You're asking people to come across the country to watch mediocre teams," a BCS bowl official said. "They're not going to do it."

A conference official suggested if you asked each of the 35 bowls if they favored increasing the bowl eligibility to seven wins, the "top 80 percent would say yes, the rest would say no."
The same official added that some of the low attendance numbers can be attributed to "fan travel fatigue."

"If a fan base is going to a bowl every year, it's a lot of money out of their pockets," he said. "They might not be thrilled going to a high level bowl one year and then going to a lesser bowl the next. For some fan bases, maybe a year off [not going to a bowl] isn't a bad thing. The fans might miss it and might be juiced for the next bowl trip."

Since 2006, there have been eight bowl games featuring teams without a winning record. Four of those 6-6 "classics" were this past season, including a historic Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl between 6-6 Illinois and 6-7 UCLA, which needed a waiver to play in the game with a losing record. In the past six seasons, the mighty SEC has won a record six consecutive BCS national titles. But the SEC also is tied with the Big Ten as the conference with the most 6-6 bowl teams (nine each). The ACC is next with eight.

"Bowl games have lost the special feel with too many games," another conference official said. "It used to be a reward but now it feels like an obligation for the last 10 to 15 bowls.

"For some schools you have to have a pretty special or unexpected year for fans to embrace the bowl scenarios, because once you are eliminated from BCS bowl contention, then you've had a bad year." Besides rewarding undeserving teams, a number of athletic directors are not happy having to pay out hefty bowl bonuses for coaches that went 6-6 and underachieved. This past season, 11 coaches were fired or left for another job after their teams earned a bowl berth.

"The 7-5 proposal is getting serious support," a non-BCS bowl official said. "They're telling a coach [that] 6-6 doesn't cut it, but then the coach gets a $50,000 or $100,000 bonus for a bowl game that none of the fan base wants to see. Athletic directors feel like they're pouring money down a hole and they're getting frustrated with it. The only people making out on 6-6 bowl games are the coaches." The bowls that have relied on 6-6 teams the most have been the Independence and New Mexico bowls.

The Independence Bowl has had seven 6-6 teams in six years, including consecutive games in 2006 and 2007 featuring two of them. This past season ended a string of five consecutive years for the Independence Bowl with a 6-6 team playing in Shreveport, La. ESPN created the New Mexico Bowl in 2006 and has hosted six 6-6 teams. This past season was its first ever without one.

The Little Caesars, Music City, Insight and Kraft Fight Hunger bowls have each featured four 6-6 teams. The Texas, Liberty, Gator, Compass and Beef 'O Brady's bowls have each had three. ESPN owns the Texas, Compass and Beef 'O Brady's bowls.

Fewer bowls would actually benefit the overall bowl system, a non-BCS bowl official said. "It would make the existing bowls more valuable and drive up the sponsorships and television ratings for the survivors," the official said. UCLA has benefitted more than any other school by the 6-6 bowl eligibility rule, earning three bids without a winning record. The Bruins went to bowls in 2007 and 2009 at 6-6 and 2011 at 6-7. Nine other schools have played in two bowl games with 6-6 records: Alabama, Florida State, Illinois, Iowa State, Kentucky, Marshall, Oklahoma State, Texas A&M and Vanderbilt.

A potential drawback of the tougher bowl eligibility requirement is fewer teams would be able to take advantage of the additional practices allowed. These mostly benefit younger players and help schools prepare for next season. But a conference official said that could easily be solved by allowing every team to participate in the same number of December practices whether it goes to a bowl or not.

"The bowls use to be special," a BCS conference official said. "Increasing the bowl eligibility to seven wins would get the bowls back to being special. There's nothing special about being 6-6."

morsdraconis
01-25-2012, 05:31 PM
Interesting. I hope it does happen. It's just more of the same old bullshit additive of everyone winning even when they're losing. Terrible 6-6 season? Hell, you still get a bowl game to try to feel good about yourselves again. It's just stupid. Bowl games did use to mean something.

Of course, I'd much rather they completely got rid of the bowls and had a real 16 team playoff where the conference champions got automatic bids and everything else was based on rankings but the rankings didn't start coming into play until week 8 of the college football season so there's no such thing as the bullshit pre-season ranking bullshit.

Take a hint from the FCS and March Madness. Playoffs equals AMAZING TV ratings and more money than god!

JeffHCross
01-25-2012, 09:13 PM
Wait ... ESPN has created and runs some of the bowls? Well I'll be damned.

Interesting. I hope it does happen. It's just more of the same old bullshit additive of everyone winning even when they're losing. Terrible 6-6 season? Hell, you still get a bowl game to try to feel good about yourselves again. It's just stupid. Bowl games did use to mean something.Don't go overboard here. It has nothing to do with the "everyone gets a trophy!" bullshit. The old requirement was 6-5. With the move to the 12 game schedule, they could have either chosen 6-6 or 7-5. They went 6-6 because of -- wait for it -- MORE MONEY!

SmoothPancakes
01-25-2012, 09:24 PM
Wait ... ESPN has created and runs some of the bowls? Well I'll be damned.

Don't go overboard here. It has nothing to do with the "everyone gets a trophy!" bullshit. The old requirement was 6-5. With the move to the 12 game schedule, they could have either chosen 6-6 or 7-5. They went 6-6 because of -- wait for it -- MORE MONEY!

And that's why I personally don't think anything will come of this, ever. Those extra teams that the ACC, Big 12, Big 10, Big East, Pac-12 and SEC, along with the teams that CUSA, Mountain West, Sun Belt, MAC, and WAC are able to get into bowl games with a 6-6 record, is that much more money for the conferences and teams. I just can't see them cutting out a dozen or more bowls, cutting out the number of teams in bowl games, and just throwing all that money away. Sure it makes for great sound bites and quotes in the newspaper, but in the end, that's money that won't be coming in any more, and no way in hell would they willingly cut down on the amount of money they make/get each year.

JeffHCross
01-25-2012, 10:03 PM
Well, the reality is that while I'm skeptical of the claims that the BCS bowl teams are losing money (that's the "truth" but not the "whole truth"), I can't imagine that the 6-6 teams are not losing money. Those bowls don't get shit for attendance. The teams, and the bowls themselves, have to be hemorrhaging money.

morsdraconis
01-25-2012, 10:21 PM
WVU lost something in the neighborhood of $250,000 by playing in the Orange Bowl (on a fuckin' Wednesday) because of the lost revenue from HAVING to buy 25,000 tickets or some shit (of which, we sold like half of through our school's ticket department). Very few bowl games are actually productive for teams. It's just the nature of it, sadly.

SmoothPancakes
01-25-2012, 10:32 PM
Yeah. teams and the bowls themselves are hemorrhaging money. But the conferences, with the more teams making bowl games the better, are getting some good payouts from all the bowl games. I forget how much it was the Big Ten, SEC, etc made this past year with all the bowl payouts.

JeffHCross
01-26-2012, 10:39 PM
WVU lost something in the neighborhood of $250,000 by playing in the Orange Bowl (on a fuckin' Wednesday) because of the lost revenue from HAVING to buy 25,000 tickets or some shit (of which, we sold like half of through our school's ticket department). Very few bowl games are actually productive for teams. It's just the nature of it, sadly.Not necessarily true. Ohio State reported the same for last year's Sugar Bowl, but that didn't factor in the money that we get from the Big Ten through shared bowl revenue. So we made money, but all the reports said we lost.

JeffHCross
01-29-2012, 09:07 PM
Wednesday is going to be very interesting.

baseballplyrmvp
01-29-2012, 09:19 PM
Wednesday is going to be very interesting.:nod:

cdj
02-02-2012, 11:12 AM
Nebraska NCAA Violations: NCAA Puts School On Probation In Illegal Textbooks Case

LINCOLN, Neb. -- The NCAA put Nebraska on two years' probation and endorsed the school's self-imposed fine of $38,000 on Wednesday as part of an impermissible benefits case involving textbooks and school supplies.

The NCAA spared Nebraska a stiffer punishment for what the Division I Committee on Infractions determined to be major violations across multiple sports over multiple years.

Nebraska reported the problem and last July acknowledged that it had improperly distributed nearly $28,000 in textbooks and other school supplies to athletes from 2007-10.

The school initially proposed that the athletic department pay a fine of $28,000. Athletic department spokesman Keith Mann said the university bookstore is adding $10,000 to the amount because it believed it shared culpability. The $38,000 will be donated to local charities and the probation will run through Jan. 31, 2014.

"We are pleased the NCAA chose to accept our self-imposed penalties without additional sanctions," athletic director Tom Osborne said in a statement. "We are also pleased that the NCAA Committee on Infractions noted there was no intent to violate NCAA rules and no members of our coaching staffs were involved in the matter. We regret that this violation occurred."

The NCAA allows schools to cover the cost of required course textbooks in athletic scholarships but not extra, professor-recommended books. Nebraska said it uncovered the violation on its own and determined that 492 athletes in 19 sports received books and supplies that were not required.

Individual athletes received a benefit ranging from approximately $580 to incidental amounts, the NCAA said. Because the violations included a large number of student-athletes and sports over portions of five academic years, the university agreed it failed to monitor its program.

Osborne said the athletic department failed to properly communicate with the bookstore concerning the NCAA rule regarding the use of athletic department funds for the purchase of required and recommended textbooks.

"We have taken corrective measures to ensure a violation of this type does not happen again," Osborne said.

Nebraska said in its report to the NCAA that there was no intentional wrongdoing, monetary reward or competitive advantage gained by the athletes involved.

The school said the average extra benefit was less than $60 per athlete. The total value was calculated by taking the cost of the book when purchased, minus the amount refunded to athletics when the books were returned.

SmoothPancakes
02-02-2012, 11:26 AM
:fp:

AustinWolv
02-02-2012, 12:24 PM
Great job, NCAA. O-lie-o is still laughing all the way to the bank.

cdj
02-02-2012, 12:44 PM
Until this news came out, I didn't know that schools were not allowed to provide 'recommended' textbooks to student-athletes. That seems to be hypocritical in the claims that they are 'student-athletes.' I understand not every school can afford it, but for those that can, why should the NCAA punish everyone? (I say that as someone who typically doesn't criticize the NCAA often.)

The two-year probation and fine increase seems a bit much. Unless players were pocketing the money for reselling the books (the last sentence implies the money went back to the Ath. Dept.), I fail to see how this is a big deal.

I can't imagine that some five-star prospect is going to get swayed to come to Nebraska over USC, Texas, etc. because the Huskers are going to give him extra textbooks. :fp: That seems like the last thing on the mind of an 18-year old - and I'm pretty sure the school wasn't using it to any sort of advantage. There are some dolts in the Athletic Department and I'm guessing someone there fell asleep as the article implies. Fire the boob and move on.

JBHuskers
02-02-2012, 03:10 PM
So Les Miles is all butthurt that Gunner Kiel went to Notre Dame instead.

bdoughty
02-02-2012, 04:08 PM
Recruiting is tougher than it looks.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/cassanova-mckinzy-spurned-clemson-because-didn-t-chick-015506961.html

:fp:

JBHuskers
02-02-2012, 04:28 PM
Considering I have had Chik-fil-a before and live in an area that doesn't have one. I understand :nod:

AustinWolv
02-02-2012, 05:01 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootball/story/Dorial-Green-Beckham-inside-the-chase-for-nations-top-recruit-020112

psuexv
02-03-2012, 09:24 AM
Considering I have had Chik-fil-a before and live in an area that doesn't have one. I understand :nod:

Personally I think Chik-fil-a is overrated. The sandwich is good but it's way overpriced and I have to eat like 4 sandwiches just to be full.

morsdraconis
02-03-2012, 11:18 AM
Chik-fil-a sucks ass. Give me Wendys' Spicy Chicken Sandwich any day over Chik-fil-a.

psuexv
02-03-2012, 11:27 AM
Chik-fil-a sucks ass. Give me Wendys' Spicy Chicken Sandwich any day over Chik-fil-a.

I could eat one of those right now. And aren't they only .99?

morsdraconis
02-03-2012, 11:56 AM
I could eat one of those right now. And aren't they only .99?

Nah, the spicy ones are the ones that are $3.40 or somethin' but for ~$7.00 you can get a large size fry and drink with it and you're golden.

If you haven't done it before, get it plain with some Wendys barbeque sauce on the side (which you promptly put on it). Makes it that much hotter and it fuckin' tastes AWESOME.

ryby6969
02-03-2012, 12:13 PM
How does everyone feel about their school's recruiting class? I am very excited at the kids we are bringing in. I think there could be some nice sleepers in our group.

JeffHCross
02-03-2012, 04:53 PM
Until this news came out, I didn't know that schools were not allowed to provide 'recommended' textbooks to student-athletes. That seems to be hypocritical in the claims that they are 'student-athletes.' I understand not every school can afford it, but for those that can, why should the NCAA punish everyone? (I say that as someone who typically doesn't criticize the NCAA often.)Oh. My. God. That is ridiculous.

The fine I understand, simply because it's basically tit-for-tat. Okay, fine. The two year probation is ridiculous. Calling it a MAJOR VIOLATION is utterly ridiculous.

But getting back to the original thing ... they can't pay for the "recommended" books? Some classes that's all you have. And the "recommended" books are really the textbooks! Utter ridiculousness.

Considering I have had Chik-fil-a before and live in an area that doesn't have one. I understand :nod::sick:

I still can't eat any more nuggets.

JeffHCross
02-03-2012, 08:13 PM
This just makes the Nebraska ruling even better, courtesy of the New York Times:

After outlining the violations and the punishment (including “public reprimand and censure!”), it adds a side note that reads, in part, “N.C.A.A. President Mark Emmert and members have recognized that numerous rules, such as those stating athletic scholarships can be used to purchase mandatory but not ‘recommended’ textbooks, are overly prescriptive and do not support our values.”

JeffHCross
02-03-2012, 09:26 PM
Well, this certainly doesn't help the whole EA/NCAA likeness lawsuit thing ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMsqzw8ci3o

SmoothPancakes
02-04-2012, 07:35 AM
I don't know why, but watching that video is really making me want to play with Washington. While I have no set path in the career of my coach in my CC dynasty, if a coaching position with Washington comes up in the future, and my coaching rules allow me to leave for it at that time, I might have to make the jump to Washington sometime in the future of my CC dyansty, since I doubt I'll hang around at FIU forever, even with as much fun (at least in the first two seasons of the dynasty) as they are to play with.

SmoothPancakes
02-04-2012, 12:59 PM
Whoa. West Virginia just cancelled their September 8th game at Florida State. Mors, any word as to why? Conflict with Big 12 scheduling (WVU makes the move next year, don't they?) or some other reason for the cancellation?

morsdraconis
02-04-2012, 01:11 PM
Whoa. West Virginia just cancelled their September 8th game at Florida State. Mors, any word as to why? Conflict with Big 12 scheduling (WVU makes the move next year, don't they?) or some other reason for the cancellation?

No conflict with the Big 12 schedule, but, basically, like with the Big East now, when WVU goes to the Big 12, it's going to be a lopsided schedule (4 home, 5 away one year and 5 home, 4 away the next) so, instead of losing $2 million for the buyout against JMU next year at Fedex Field, they decided to drop the FSU away game for a chance at another home game (against ECU, if I'm not mistaken).

Unfortunately, I don't like the call that they made to drop the game, but, at the same time, I understand their reasoning for dropping the game. It just looks poor on our part, but we'll see. Maybe we'll push it back to 2014 and do the away game in 2013 (when we were supposed to do the home game) and do the home game in 2014. At least, I hope so.

JBHuskers
03-07-2012, 02:20 PM
LSU women's soccer goalie Mo Isom is going to be invited to try out for place kicker on the LSU football squad. :drool: :drool: :drool:

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lnqx5x8ZsT1qhrigd.jpg

http://hphotos-snc1.fbcdn.net/hs085.snc1/4902_1211473723236_1120531680_31208506_29186_n.jpg

AustinWolv
03-07-2012, 03:23 PM
double-tap, please delete this one.

AustinWolv
03-07-2012, 03:28 PM
Here you go, JB:

ROFL: http://thebiglead.com/index.php/2011/12/06/lsus-mo-isom-from-bulimic-to-top-goalie-to-homecoming-queen/

DariusLock
03-13-2012, 07:50 PM
Please let her on the team just so I can see her in tight football pants mmm. Haha never thought thhe words tight football pants would be a good thing.

baseballplyrmvp
03-13-2012, 08:58 PM
Please let her on the team just so I can see her in tight football pants mmm. Haha never thought thhe words tight football pants would be a good thing.just imagine if lsu plays in the rain......

SmoothPancakes
03-13-2012, 08:59 PM
just imagine if lsu plays in the rain......

:drool:

JeffHCross
03-13-2012, 09:44 PM
Okay, I wasn't going to say it, but since you guys are being worse pervs than me ...

Early NCAA 14 cover favorite. Duh.

DariusLock
03-14-2012, 10:32 AM
Okay, I wasn't going to say it, but since you guys are being worse pervs than me ...

Early NCAA 14 cover favorite. Duh.

:nod::nod::easy::popcorn:

JeffHCross
03-21-2012, 12:00 AM
Late last year, The Atlantic had a cover story on "The Shame of College Sports". I'll admit that the article is biased, and probably a good bit of the anecdotes and stories within it are only mentioned to serve the greater narrative. That said, it is extremely well-written, and could be eye-opening on how you perceive the NCAA.

WARNING: Mors, you probably shouldn't read this. Your rant would presumably be quite epic.
WARNING: Also, it's quite long. I'm only about halfway through it now.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2011/10/the-shame-of-college-sports/8643/?single_page=true

SmoothPancakes
03-21-2012, 12:05 AM
Late last year, The Atlantic had a cover story on "The Shame of College Sports". I'll admit that the article is biased, and probably a good bit of the anecdotes and stories within it are only mentioned to serve the greater narrative. That said, it is extremely well-written, and could be eye-opening on how you perceive the NCAA.

WARNING: Mors, you probably shouldn't read this. Your rant would presumably be quite epic.
WARNING: Also, it's quite long. I'm only about halfway through it now.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2011/10/the-shame-of-college-sports/8643/?single_page=true

Wait, shouldn't that be a reason for why he should read it? :D

morsdraconis
03-21-2012, 05:28 AM
Ah, excellent. Something to read at work during downtime. :up:

baseballplyrmvp
03-21-2012, 08:15 PM
please take the survey and let your opinion be known on what you think of the bcs format. completely anonymous too.

https://qtrial.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_9GKIV9MM4Sys1ik

morsdraconis
03-22-2012, 10:03 AM
please take the survey and let your opinion be known on what you think of the bcs format. completely anonymous too.

https://qtrial.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_9GKIV9MM4Sys1ik

Interesting stuff. I filled it out. Will be interesting to see if anything actually becomes of this survey. I doubt it myself, but we'll see.

JeffHCross
04-01-2012, 02:08 PM
Previewing the Eastern State Timberwolves (http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-football/2012/4/1/2917857/eastern-state-timberwolves-the-program-football-team)

gschwendt
04-10-2012, 12:41 PM
Apparently Arkansas State is doing a psuedo Hard Knocks style video series for this upcoming season. I don't know exactly how it will develop but the first "episode" is definitely interesting to watch as a fan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWXwKG-foEc

morsdraconis
04-10-2012, 01:58 PM
Interesting Tommy. I will definitely check this out later today.

morsdraconis
04-10-2012, 03:36 PM
Man. That's damn cool and VERY well done. You've got to be absolutely giddy, Tommy, with that type of hype brewing at Arkansas State.

Please continue to post these when they come out as I'm definitely watching them.

AustinWolv
04-10-2012, 04:30 PM
That was a fun watch. Please keep us updated.

gschwendt
04-14-2012, 05:53 PM
Arkansas State had 6115 attend our spring game this year. That may not sound like a lot but previous years we had maybe 1000 max, it's a, big turnout. Added that we charged $5 plus you had to buy bbq if you wanted, it's definitely a success. All previous years they didn't charge admission and gave away free hot dogs and drinks.

morsdraconis
04-14-2012, 06:16 PM
Arkansas State had 6115 attend our spring game this year. That may not sound like a lot but previous years we had maybe 1000 max, it's a, big turnout. Added that we charged $5 plus you had to buy bbq if you wanted, it's definitely a success. All previous years they didn't charge admission and gave away free hot dogs and drinks.

Awesome! I figured the excitement of having Gus as the new head coach would create a lot of buzz. WVU is expecting a record crowd for them this year. Wish I was able to make the 120 mile trek to the stadium to watch.

psuexv
04-16-2012, 01:46 PM
So I just saw that Kyle Prater transferred to Northwestern. Not sure when this happened but I remember this kid in the Army game a couple of years ago and just dominated. I think he redshirted his Freshman year so should be a SO this year.

baseballplyrmvp
04-16-2012, 01:56 PM
So I just saw that Kyle Prater transferred to Northwestern. Not sure when this happened but I remember this kid in the Army game a couple of years ago and just dominated. I think he redshirted his Freshman year so should be a SO this year.happened back in january.

only reason why he didnt play more at :USC: was because of a lack of consistancy and was frequently injured (foot). he could make the incredible one handed catch in double coverage in the back of the endzone, but couldnt handle a ball thrown on a quick slant with the db playing off coverage. he'd whiff occasionally on his blocking assignments too.

psuexv
04-16-2012, 02:02 PM
happened back in january.

only reason why he didnt play more at :USC: was because of a lack of consistancy and was frequently injured (foot). he could make the incredible one handed catch in double coverage in the back of the endzone, but couldnt handle a ball thrown on a quick slant with the db playing off coverage. he'd whiff occasionally on his blocking assignments too.

Yeah, but he's young. And there is a lot of talent in the USC receiving corps these past two years if I'm not mistaken.

baseballplyrmvp
04-16-2012, 02:21 PM
Yeah, but he's young. And there is a lot of talent in the USC receiving corps these past two years if I'm not mistaken.not anymore. a lot of the receivers transferred in order for :USC: to get down to 75 scholarship players, as part of the sanctions. they had, i think, 9 or 10 scholarship receivers last year; this year, they'll have 7, 2 of which are gonna be true freshmen (with one of those freshmen being a rb/wr hybrid), 1 redshirted last year, another hasnt played a down yet in his career as a junior. only woods, lee, and farmer have seen the field out of the 7.

i'm looking forward to seeing what a healthy george farmer brings to the table, especially since he's faster than oregon's deanthony thomas.

baseballplyrmvp
04-16-2012, 03:42 PM
USC released their end of spring football depth chart. this is straight from lane kiffin, so there's no excuse to mess this up. bolded players should not be included as a part of the video game roster.

Offense
QB Matt Barkley; Max Wittek OR Cody Kessler; Jesse Scroggins

TB Curtis McNeal; D.J. Morgan; Buck Allen (Nelson Agholor)

FB Soma Vainuku; Hunter Simmons (Jahleel Pinner)

SE Marqise Lee; George Farmer; Victor Blackwell (Darreus Rogers)

FL Robert Woods; De’Von Flournoy (Nelson Agholor)

TE Randall Telfer OR Xavier Grimble; Christian Thomas OR Junior Pomee (Jalen Cope-Fitzpatrick)

LT Aundrey Walker; Nathan Guertler; Chad Wheeler

LG Marcus Martin; Cyrus Hobbi (Max Tuerk)

C Khaled Holmes; Abe Markowitz; Giovanni Di Poalo

RG John Martinez; Jeremy Galten (Jordan Simmons)

RT Kevin Graf; David Garness (Zach Banner)

Defense
DE Devon Kennard; Greg Townsend; Charles Burks; DeVante Wilson

DT George Uko; Zack Kusnir; Christian Heyward

NT J.R. Tavai; Antwaun Woods; Cody Temple

DE Wes Horton; Morgan Breslin; Kevin Greene (Leonard Williams)

WLB Hayes Pullard; Anthony Sarao

MLB Lamar Dawson; Scott Starr; Will Andrew; Dallas Kelley (Jabari Ruffin)

SLB Dion Bailey; Tony Burnett; Marquis Simmons

CB Nickell Robey; Anthony Brown; Ryan Henderson (Kevon Seymour)

CB Isiah Wiley OR Brian Baucham OR Torin Harris (Devian Shelton)

SS Jawanza Starling OR Demetrius Wright (Gerald Bowman)

FS T.J. McDonald; Drew McAllister; Joshua Shaw

PK Andre Heidari; Craig McMahon

P Kyle Negrete OR Kris Albarado

LS Peter McBride

PR Nickell Robey OR Robert Woods; Marqise Lee

KR Robert Woods AND Curtis McNeal OR Marqise Lee; George Farmer or Nickell Robey

NatureBoy
04-16-2012, 07:26 PM
Alabama's $30,000 BCS championship trophy was accidentally shattered this weekend. Here is all that is left

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-uvsYfiyKgvA/T4yly4O8rBI/AAAAAAAAB2M/L5lI8Vqnpvg/w497-h373/Bama-BCS.jpg

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. -- A piece of history from the University of Alabama's championship run was shattered on Saturday afternoon following the Crimson Tide's annual A-Day scrimmage.

The Coaches' Trophy from this season's BCS national title was accidentally knocked off its podium and shattered by a player's father whose foot got caught on a rug that sits beneath the trophy display. The Waterford Crystal trophy was on display in the Mal Moore Athletic Facility halls, home to coach Nick Saban's office and other athletic personnel.

The handmade trophy sculpted in Ireland is valued at $30,000. The university previously had two such trophies, one at the Paul W. Bryant Museum and the other at the athletic facility. A university spokesman confirmed that they will immediately begin the process of replacing the trophy.

The crystal football has been a fragile piece in recent years. In 2008, Florida had its broken when then-recruit Orson Charles fumbled the ball away. In 2004, Florida State had a pair of trophies stolen from a glass case outside of Bobby Bowden's office during renovation of the building.

Charlie Green, trophy manager for the American Football Coaches Association, said he uses adhesive tape to secure the ball when it's toured around the country and advises universities to take the same precautions when displaying it.

"It's pretty fragile, I guess," Green said. "It only weighs about eight pounds so I can see where if it gets bumped it would roll off."

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7821303/alabama-crimson-tide-crystal-bcs-trophy-shattered-mishap

DariusLock
04-18-2012, 10:00 AM
G you think Gus will leave you guys after this year to go to Arkansas if he does well?

JeffHCross
04-18-2012, 09:19 PM
G you think Gus will leave you guys after this year to go to Arkansas if he does well?I wouldn't think so, first of all. But secondly, I don't think Arkansas is likely to hire a coach for a single year. Nor do I think they'll stick with an interim.

baseballplyrmvp
04-18-2012, 09:30 PM
apparently arky contacted pete carrol, who quickly turned down the offer (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/18/report-arkansas-reached-out-to-pete-carroll/related/).

good for pete. i loved him as USC's coach, and he's awesome as the seahawks coach.

baseballplyrmvp
04-18-2012, 09:45 PM
40-60% of oregon's football team smokes weed (http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7819621/ncf-oregon-ducks-deny-drug-culture-eugene-espn-magazine) according to one current quack football player.

the zero's responce (http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7830005/oregon-ducks-respond-report-marijuana-use-football-players)

amazing on how little punishment there is if someone is caught. 1st offense is counceling, 2nd offense is a behavior modification contract, 3rd offense is half season suspension, and 4th is loss of scholarship and booted from the team.

as a USC and Hawaii fan, i like the disciplinarian coaches that both teams have (USC with Ed Orgeron) and have had (Hawaii's Tommy Heffernan) in the past. i know that USC's first offense is a 1 game suspension, 2nd offense is that the player is dismissed from the team (but still has the ability to come back if he shows he responsibility- kinda like the behavior mod contract). 3rd offense is you're gone with no chance of rejoining. hawaii's was similar in the 3 strikes and you're gone philosphy, but didnt dismiss players from the program after the second offense.

gschwendt
04-19-2012, 04:50 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pfJQOgyiVg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

morsdraconis
04-19-2012, 05:24 AM
I think Tommy was trying to post this:

http://youtu.be/5pfJQOgyiVg

morsdraconis
04-19-2012, 05:30 AM
Awesome stuff again Tommy. :up:

The videographers doing this stuff are quite good. I hope you guys get more games on TV this year cause I definitely want to watch as many of your guys' games as possible this year.

DariusLock
04-19-2012, 11:58 AM
I love FIU and Arky St. now because of OD's. I actually like Memphis a little more now, especially since we don't play them in anything anymore.

souljahbill
04-19-2012, 02:55 PM
When I was gettig my Master's at UL-Lafayette, we (UL Volleyball) had to play road games at FIU. They have the most gorgeous campus I've ever seen. I would have loved to have gone to school there.

DariusLock
04-19-2012, 04:14 PM
Yeah but we got a C rating in my OD with them haha. I mean come on it's in MIAMI!

souljahbill
04-19-2012, 05:52 PM
Yeah but we got a C rating in my OD with them haha. I mean come on it's in MIAMI!

Then it's severely underrated because the "scenery" was niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice.

NatureBoy
04-22-2012, 06:30 PM
Report: Paternos turned away offer.

Penn State officials, in an attempt to get the family of Joe Paterno to sign away its right to sue the school, offered to rename Beaver Stadium after the late coach, The Patriot-News has reported, citing a source close to the family.

But the family said no.

Paterno had never been keen on the stadium bearing his name, an idea that "has always been a fan-driven matter. It was never important to Joe," the source told the Harrisburg, Pa., newspaper.

But it would still be "a tremendous and humbling honor," the source said.

Penn State wasn't granted the release, according to a family lawyer. But the school said last week it had agreed to provide millions in payments and benefits to the estate and family members under Paterno's employment contract.

Paterno died in January at 85 after a brief bout with lung cancer, two-and-a-half months after he was fired amid the Jerry Sandusky child sex abuse scandal. Paterno spent six decades at Penn State and 46 seasons as head coach, winning two national championships and becoming the face of the university.

The school turned over four checks on Thursday worth more than $3 million for bonuses that covered the season, bowl game and entire career, a university spokeswoman said.

While the school said in a news release the total value of the package was "over $5.5 million," added together the various elements are worth about $6.7 million.

A breakdown provided by Penn State included the use by Paterno's family of a Beaver Stadium suite for 25 years -- a deal valued at $1.5 million -- and $900,000 from television and radio revenue from last season.

Paterno family lawyer Wick Sollers issued a statement on Thursday saying there has been no settlement but rather "a straightforward payment of moneys indisputably owed to the Paterno estate. The university had requested the family agree to a full release in return for the payments under the contract. That request was declined and no release was signed."

Without a release, Paterno's estate still could sue under the contract or some other reason, if it wishes.

School spokesman Bill Mahon described it as the university and Paterno's estate finalizing the remaining payments that were due the longtime coach.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7842003/family-joe-paterno-rejected-penn-state-nittany-lions-stadium-naming-deal-report-says

JeffHCross
04-22-2012, 07:22 PM
Sigh. Everything comes at a price now. Or at least an angle.

JBHuskers
04-23-2012, 03:06 PM
John L. Smith (former Michigan State HC) will be taking over Arkansas.

JeffHCross
04-23-2012, 08:12 PM
John L. Smith (former Michigan State HC) will be taking over Arkansas.http://www.brendanloy.com/blog/images/johnlsmith-slapself.gif

baseballplyrmvp
04-24-2012, 01:45 PM
justin bethel's 60 inch vertical jump

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=08RJgDJS8Dg

steelerfan
04-24-2012, 02:13 PM
Sigh. Everything comes at a price now. Or at least an angle.

Care to elaborate?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

JBHuskers
04-24-2012, 02:26 PM
http://www.brendanloy.com/blog/images/johnlsmith-slapself.gif

Question:

Mr. John L. Smith, what will you do if some hot intern hits on you while on the job at Arkansas?

Answer:

JeffHCross
04-24-2012, 08:36 PM
Care to elaborate?"Penn State officials, in an attempt to get the family of Joe Paterno to sign away its right to sue the school"

I don't know if it was ESPN creating fire where there wasn't even smoke, but those two things: the right to sue and the name of the stadium, should not be related in any way, shape or form. "Quid pro quo" has become "you get nothing without giving me something".

Again, I don't know if the linkage between the two was valid, but that article was just a reminder of bitter feelings I already have.

steelerfan
04-24-2012, 10:01 PM
"Penn State officials, in an attempt to get the family of Joe Paterno to sign away its right to sue the school"

I don't know if it was ESPN creating fire where there wasn't even smoke, but those two things: the right to sue and the name of the stadium, should not be related in any way, shape or form. "Quid pro quo" has become "you get nothing without giving me something".

Again, I don't know if the linkage between the two was valid, but that article was just a reminder of bitter feelings I already have.

Gotcha.

I didn't think you were meaning that as an attack on Coach Paterno's family, but I had to be certain. :)

JeffHCross
04-24-2012, 10:34 PM
Yeah, absolutely not. I think they're right that JoePa wouldn't have wanted the name, and I hope that was their primary reason for declining. Hard to tell from the way the article was written, but that's what I believe it was.

gschwendt
04-26-2012, 10:28 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9k4WT1qHB_s

Marlowe
04-26-2012, 01:37 PM
BCS releases playoff proposals for 2014 (http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/brett-mcmurphy/18843675/bcs-releases-playoff-proposals-for-2014)

morsdraconis
04-26-2012, 03:39 PM
:smh:

3 SEC teams and 1 Big 12 team, here we come.

JeffHCross
04-27-2012, 08:31 PM
Better than the continued downfall of the Orange Bowl.

SmoothPancakes
04-27-2012, 08:51 PM
Better than the continued downfall of the Orange Bowl.

Yeah, Orange Bowl was becoming the red-headed step child of the BCS Bowls.

steelerfan
04-27-2012, 11:03 PM
I'd rather see 8 teams, but it's better than we have now (which is better than we had before that).

gschwendt
05-02-2012, 09:57 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZUVq-NXlXE

morsdraconis
05-03-2012, 05:32 AM
:up:

Good stuff Tommy. Really interesting to see how much faith (as much as I, personally, think that faith is bullshit) is playing into their program.

DariusLock
05-03-2012, 03:41 PM
http://player.vimeo.com/video/41498132

gschwendt
05-10-2012, 10:02 PM
Seriously this is a debate on Arkansas radio... bigger name, Gus Malzahn or John L. Smith?

Your responses are appreciated.

steelerfan
05-10-2012, 10:20 PM
Seriously this is a debate on Arkansas radio... bigger name, Gus Malzahn or John L. Smith?

Your responses are appreciated.

Gus Malzahn and who?

JeffHCross
05-10-2012, 10:26 PM
Gus Malzahn and who?John L. Smith

razorback44
05-10-2012, 10:30 PM
Malzahn

steelerfan
05-10-2012, 11:42 PM
John L. Smith

I was simply playing to Tommy's point. Or, at least, what I perceived his point to be. :)

JBHuskers
05-11-2012, 12:30 PM
If Smith loses this showdown....he might do this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvrRvUYRdD8

JeffHCross
05-12-2012, 10:10 AM
I was simply playing to Tommy's point. Or, at least, what I perceived his point to be. :)I was just looking for a reason to post that GIF again.

If Smith loses this showdown....he might do this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvrRvUYRdD8Easily the best moment by an opposing coach in Ohio Stadium. I loved it! :D

He was right though. Michigan State was outplaying us badly that day, and the coaches were fucking it up.

psusnoop
05-13-2012, 05:30 PM
John who?

Tarhead10
05-15-2012, 07:45 PM
Definitely Malzahn... I think any man who slaps themselves, has lost it....:fp:

JeffHCross
05-18-2012, 06:50 PM
Smooth, did you call in to Sirius XM College Sports this morning? Ohio guy calling in to talk about Navy of all schools ...

SmoothPancakes
05-18-2012, 08:28 PM
Smooth, did you call in to Sirius XM College Sports this morning? Ohio guy calling in to talk about Navy of all schools ...

:D Nope, I was busy at work all morning. But glad to hear Navy getting some love on the air, especially from someone in Ohio. :)

What was he calling in to talk about regarding Navy?

JeffHCross
05-18-2012, 10:42 PM
Every Friday morning, Phil Steele joins the broadcast and just takes questions. He was just looking for Phil's take on the Middies.

JeffHCross
05-18-2012, 10:50 PM
Phil SteeleOn that note, Phil mentioned that his magazine may start hitting some shelves as early as next Tuesday, but isn't guaranteed to be nationally distributed until June 4 or 5. But he expected that the vast majority of areas would be supplied by Memorial Day at the latest.

souljahbill
05-19-2012, 02:38 PM
On that note, Phil mentioned that his magazine may start hitting some shelves as early as next Tuesday, but isn't guaranteed to be nationally distributed until June 4 or 5. But he expected that the vast majority of areas would be supplied by Memorial Day at the latest.

Is his magazine the one that's confusing to read because it looks like a bunch of notes written in shorthand?

razorback44
05-19-2012, 03:04 PM
Is his magazine the one that's confusing to read because it looks like a bunch of notes written in shorthand?

Yep. You just have to learn how to read it and know what the abbreviations mean because it's by far the most informative preseason magazine out there.

JeffHCross
05-19-2012, 05:05 PM
Yep. You just have to learn how to read it and know what the abbreviations mean because it's by far the most informative preseason magazine out there.It is ... but it isn't. There's not nearly as much information in the magazine as it is looks like there is, since so much of it is a repeat from last year's. I imagine this year's Ohio State profile will both talk about Ohio State's success with Troy Smith at Quarterback, and Urban Meyer's success with both Alex Smith and Tim Tebow. None of which are that relevant when previewing this year's Buckeyes. I'd venture to guess that 65% of what in this year's magazine was also written in last year's, and that drives me nuts.

But, at the same time, it's still a great preview mag, and I end up purchasing it, Athlon and Sporting News yearly.

It was also completely invaluable to my effort to make the 1995 Ohio State Buckeyes, so for that reason alone I'm a strong customer.

steelerfan
05-21-2012, 02:33 PM
Bill Stewart, former WVU Head Football Coach, has died after suffering a heart attack.

morsdraconis
05-21-2012, 02:41 PM
Yeah. Just happened all of a sudden. Have a friend that just saw him like a week ago at church. Crazy stuff. Sad to hear it happen. I may have hated him as a coach, but, from what I've heard (outside of what he attempted to do with Holgorsen) he was a really great person.

coogrfan
05-22-2012, 10:02 AM
On that note, Phil mentioned that his magazine may start hitting some shelves as early as next Tuesday, but isn't guaranteed to be nationally distributed until June 4 or 5. But he expected that the vast majority of areas would be supplied by Memorial Day at the latest.

Steele has been releasing two teams a day on his website for the last week or so. The link below will take you to PS's website where you can view the pages from the 2012 magazine for today's teams (pdf format), as well as his preseason all-conference teams and his projection for the initial AP poll.

http://www.philsteele.com/

NOTE: THIS IS NOT STEELE'S POWER POLL. THIS IS HIS OPINION OF WHERE EACH TEAM WILL FINISH THE SEASON, AND AS SUCH REFLECTS FACTORS SUCH AS STRENGTH OF SCHEDULE THAT ARE NOT TAKEN INTO ACCOUNT BY OTHER PUBLICATIONS.

40. Rutgers
39. Georgia Tech
38. Iowa
37. Kansas State
36. TCU
35. BYU
34. Louisville
33. Utah
32. Houston
31. Ohio
30. Texas A&M
29. Auburn
28. Mississippi State
27. Tennessee
26. Boise State
25. West Virginia
24. Virginia Tech
23. South Carolina
22. Michigan
21. Notre Dame
20. South Florida
19. Michigan State
18. Stanford
17. Nebraska
16. Arkansas
15. UCF
14. Clemson
13. North Carolina
12. Oklahoma State
11. Ohio State
10. Florida
9. Wisconsin
8. Georgia
7. Texas
6. Oregon
5. Alabama
4. USC
3. LSU

ram29jackson
05-24-2012, 02:37 PM
will UCLA be in the top 20 ?

morsdraconis
05-24-2012, 02:56 PM
Fail already. No fuckin' way Notre Dame is ranked at the end of the season.

SmoothPancakes
05-24-2012, 04:20 PM
Fail already. No fuckin' way Notre Dame is ranked at the end of the season.

:nod:

baseballplyrmvp
05-24-2012, 09:30 PM
will UCLA be in the top 20 ?ucla doesnt deserve a top 75 ranking

SmoothPancakes
05-24-2012, 09:31 PM
ucla doesnt deserve a top 75 ranking

:+1:

coogrfan
05-25-2012, 01:27 PM
#20 South Florida
http://www.philsteele.com/Pdf/2012Top40Countdown/20USF.pdf

#19 Michigan State
http://www.philsteele.com/Pdf/2012Top40Countdown/19MichiganSt.pdf

baseballplyrmvp
05-25-2012, 10:37 PM
USC released their end of spring football depth chart. this is straight from lane kiffin, so there's no excuse to mess this up. bolded players should not be included as a part of the video game roster.

Offense
QB Matt Barkley; Max Wittek OR Cody Kessler; Jesse Scroggins

TB Curtis McNeal; D.J. Morgan; Buck Allen (Nelson Agholor)

FB Soma Vainuku; Hunter Simmons (Jahleel Pinner)

SE Marqise Lee; George Farmer; Victor Blackwell (Darreus Rogers)

FL Robert Woods; De’Von Flournoy (Nelson Agholor)

TE Randall Telfer OR Xavier Grimble; Christian Thomas OR Junior Pomee (Jalen Cope-Fitzpatrick)

LT Aundrey Walker; Nathan Guertler; Chad Wheeler

LG Marcus Martin; Cyrus Hobbi (Max Tuerk)

C Khaled Holmes; Abe Markowitz; Giovanni Di Poalo

RG John Martinez; Jeremy Galten (Jordan Simmons)

RT Kevin Graf; David Garness (Zach Banner)

Defense
DE Devon Kennard; Greg Townsend; Charles Burks; DeVante Wilson

DT George Uko; Zack Kusnir; Christian Heyward

NT J.R. Tavai; Antwaun Woods; Cody Temple

DE Wes Horton; Morgan Breslin; Kevin Greene (Leonard Williams)

WLB Hayes Pullard; Anthony Sarao

MLB Lamar Dawson; Scott Starr; Will Andrew; Dallas Kelley (Jabari Ruffin)

SLB Dion Bailey; Tony Burnett; Marquis Simmons

CB Nickell Robey; Anthony Brown; Ryan Henderson (Kevon Seymour)

CB Isiah Wiley OR Brian Baucham OR Torin Harris (Devian Shelton)

SS Jawanza Starling OR Demetrius Wright (Gerald Bowman)

FS T.J. McDonald; Drew McAllister; Joshua Shaw

PK Andre Heidari; Craig McMahon

P Kyle Negrete OR Kris Albarado

LS Peter McBride

PR Nickell Robey OR Robert Woods; Marqise Lee

KR Robert Woods AND Curtis McNeal OR Marqise Lee; George Farmer or Nickell Robey an update to this. qb jesse scroggins is no longer with the team. his spot can be filled with DT Zack Kusnir

coogrfan
05-26-2012, 11:41 AM
#18 Stanford
http://www.philsteele.com/Pdf/2012Top40Countdown/18Stanford.pdf

#17 Nebraska
http://www.philsteele.com/Pdf/2012Top40Countdown/17Nebraska.pdf

JeffHCross
05-27-2012, 09:57 AM
Really surprised, and a little nervous about high expectations, that Phil hasn't listed Ohio State yet.

baseballplyrmvp
05-27-2012, 11:54 AM
Really surprised, and a little nervous about high expectations, that Phil hasn't listed Ohio State yet.i'm thinking they're coming up soon, in the 10-15 range.

JeffHCross
05-27-2012, 11:25 PM
i'm thinking they're coming up soon, in the 10-15 range.It doesn't surprise me (since practically everyone has them around there), but I really didn't expect it from Phil.

coogrfan
05-29-2012, 12:27 PM
#16 Arkansas
http://www.philsteele.com/Pdf/2012Top40Countdown/16Arkansas.pdf

#15 UCF
http://www.philsteele.com/Pdf/2012Top40Countdown/15UCF.pdf

baseballplyrmvp
05-29-2012, 11:33 PM
GOOD FOR THIS KID (http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7985194/michigan-wolverines-commit-logan-tuley-tillman-unapologetic-burning-ohio-state-buckeyes-mail)!

lol sorry jeff.

steelerfan
05-29-2012, 11:48 PM
GOOD FOR THIS KID (http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7985194/michigan-wolverines-commit-logan-tuley-tillman-unapologetic-burning-ohio-state-buckeyes-mail)!

lol sorry jeff.

It's stupid to do something like that and not expect a tremendous backlash. That said, it's sad that such a backlash is expected, and even worse that some idiots make threats like this.

It's well documented that I HATE Facebook and the like, and I look forward to the day when fucktards get prosecuted for threats like these. Get a life, assholes.

coogrfan
05-30-2012, 12:49 PM
#14 Clemson
http://www.philsteele.com/Pdf/2012Top40Countdown/14Clemson.pdf

#13 North Carolina
http://www.philsteele.com/Pdf/2012Top40Countdown/13NCarolina.pdf

JeffHCross
05-30-2012, 07:10 PM

lol sorry jeff.As Steeler said, you have to expect the backlash if you're going to do that (and be so brazen about it), but hell, I have no problem with it. If I'd been in a position to be recruited by Michigan and Ohio State, I would have done the same damn thing with anything maize and blue.

I love it when both Michigan and Ohio State are quality ... this kind of stuff is just going to keep happening. And it's a blast!

#14 Clemson
#13 North CarolinaAt this point, I'm wondering if Ohio State just isn't in the list :D

souljahbill
05-30-2012, 08:32 PM
UCF is #15?http://img.tapatalk.com/63bcbdb3-ca36-0ef1.jpg

AustinWolv
05-31-2012, 09:42 AM
Thing to remember is that the list isn't about quality of the team, but it is weighted on their schedule and thus perception that people will have of that team based on their resulting record.

coogrfan
05-31-2012, 11:59 AM
#12 Oklahoma State
http://www.philsteele.com/Pdf/2012Top40Countdown/12OklahomaSt.pdf

#11 Ohio State
http://www.philsteele.com/Pdf/2012Top40Countdown/11OhioSt.pdf

ram29jackson
05-31-2012, 04:49 PM
ucla doesnt deserve a top 75 ranking

actually, the culture has changed in these few months.Mora is no joke..but UCLA has never been no Wyoming either. They are better then that. We'll see...

baseballplyrmvp
05-31-2012, 09:21 PM
actually, the culture has changed in these few months.Mora is no joke..but UCLA has never been no Wyoming either. They are better then that. We'll see...compared to the weasel, its easy to make that claim.

i've been a seahawks fan my whole life.....and mora was beyond terrible in his time as the head coach for em. he's got a good football mind, but he cannot, for the life of him, develop players and get them to consistantly play at a high level. :USC: will continue to beat the piss out of the baby blue bears. :D

JeffHCross
05-31-2012, 10:12 PM
#11 Ohio State
http://www.philsteele.com/Pdf/2012Top40Countdown/11OhioSt.pdfSo, for the Defensive Backs we have:

One line about our draftees, going back to 1997
One line about 2006
One line about 2009
One line about 2010
Two lines about 2011
And only one line about 2012

Sigh. :fp: I do love Phil's analysis, but ...........

SmoothPancakes
05-31-2012, 10:41 PM
And previews like that would pretty much be the reason why I haven't bought Phil Steele since probably 2005 or 2006. Basically the only reason I would buy PS, based on reading these team previews, would be the lineup/depth charts, and page two, all the stats. I'm a stats junkie so I love that, seeing the 10 years of stadium stats, 7 years of offensive and defensive stats, 2011 game by game stats, last 5 years of schedules/results. If Phil would put out a condensed version of his magazine with only the lineups/depth charts and all those stats on page 2, I would buy that every year.

The position outlooks and Phil's Forecast section, where 90% of everything is talking about players for one, two, five years ago, etc, past seasons, past events, as well as having to practically be an Army Linguist/Cryptologist just to figure out what he is trying to say half the time (though I did somehow manage to decipher and understand what he was saying or trying to say maybe 65% of that OSU article on the fly while reading), I could do without all that stuff. Just give me the stats and lineups and I'll be happy.

morsdraconis
06-01-2012, 05:11 AM
It's all a complete waste of time... :smh:

It's all catering to you poor fucks that can't live without some type of football stuff during the offseason.

souljahbill
06-01-2012, 09:43 AM
It's all a complete waste of time... :smh:

It's all catering to you poor fucks that can't live without some type of football stuff during the offseason.

Do you need a hug?

AustinWolv
06-01-2012, 10:05 AM
So, for the Defensive Backs we have:

One line about our draftees, going back to 1997
One line about 2006
One line about 2009
One line about 2010
Two lines about 2011
And only one line about 2012

Sigh. :fp: I do love Phil's analysis, but ...........

Funny, I read OSU's and one other team and had the same reaction as you. Didn't bother with any others.

coogrfan
06-01-2012, 12:32 PM
#10 Florida
http://www.philsteele.com/Pdf/2012Top40Countdown/10Florida.pdf

psuexv
06-01-2012, 01:49 PM
Rumors floating around that this is Maryland's new field.

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/imported_assets/1082821/timthumb.jpeg

Deuce
06-01-2012, 01:55 PM

Uh oh...hope Ram doesn't find this. ;)

souljahbill
06-01-2012, 01:56 PM

:drool:

psuexv
06-01-2012, 01:58 PM
Uh oh...hope Ram doesn't find this. ;)

I don't think he's really into the customizing fields, that's too manly.

morsdraconis
06-01-2012, 03:11 PM
I don't think he's really into the customizing fields, that's too manly.

Ram already posted about this a LONG time ago (http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/forums/showthread.php?2702-Stadium-amp-Field-Art-Corrections-NCAA-Football-13-Wish-List-amp-Feedback&p=139163&viewfull=1#post139163).

psuexv
06-01-2012, 03:13 PM
Ram already posted about this a LONG time ago (http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/forums/showthread.php?2702-Stadium-amp-Field-Art-Corrections-NCAA-Football-13-Wish-List-amp-Feedback&p=139163&viewfull=1#post139163).

LOL, 11 days ago. Shows you how often I go into that thread

SmoothPancakes
06-01-2012, 03:20 PM
Alright, this topic has been literally raging all over the sports world today, especially on Mike and Mike and Colin Cowherd, and even in the regular news world, so time to start up the discussion here.

UCLA and Sean 'Diddy' Combs' son.

UCLA defends athletic scholarships

Mo money, mo problems.

As Justin Combs, the son of rap mogul Sean "Diddy" Combs, prepares to head to UCLA to play football for the Bruins next season, some are questioning whether the cornerback should pass on the $54,000 athletic scholarship awarded to him by the university because of his family's wealth.

UCLA released a statement Wednesday explaining that athletic scholarships are not based on finances and do not rely on taxpayers' money. The University of California school system is currently facing financial problems.

"Unlike need-based scholarships, athletic scholarships are awarded to students strictly on the basis of their athletic and academic ability -- not their financial need," the statement read. "Athletic scholarships, such as those awarded to football or basketball players, do not rely on state funds. Instead, these scholarships are entirely funded through UCLA Athletics ticket sales, corporate partnerships, media contracts and private donations from supporters.

"Each year, UCLA awards the equivalent of approximately 285 full athletic scholarships to outstanding student-athletes. The scholarships are used by the UCLA Department of Intercollegiate Athletics to pay students' tuition and fees, as well as room and board. In this respect, UCLA is no different from the overwhelming majority of Division I institutions."

Combs, a three-star recruit who chose the Bruins over Iowa, Virginia and Illinois, went to Iona Prep in New Rochelle, N.Y., and reportedly graduated with a 3.75 GPA. He helped lead the Gaels to the semifinals of the Catholic High School Athletic Association Class AA playoffs last season, primarily playing cornerback but also quarterbacking at times. The 5-foot-9, 175-pound corner had one interception and threw four touchdowns.

Tweets on his account Wednesday seemingly responded to the dialogue regarding his athletic scholarship.

"Regardless what circumstances are, I put that work in!!!! PERIOD," one tweet read.

A later one added: "Regardless of what you do in life every1 is gonna have their own opinion. Stay focused, keep that tunnel vision & never 4get why u started."

When reached Friday, Combs said he did not want to talk about his scholarship.

His father, who could be seen at Iona Prep football games last season and even acted as the team's water boy during a game, is the richest rapper in the industry, with a net worth of $550 million as of April 2012, according to Forbes. When Combs turned 16 two years ago, his father bought him a $360,000 Maybach.

When Combs committed to UCLA in November, his father was overcome with joy.

"As a parent, today is one of the proudest moments of my life," Sean Combs said then in a statement released by DKC Public Relations. "This is everything a father could want for his son, for him to excel at what he loves to do and is truly passionate about. Justin is a shining example of what hard work, determination and a strong mentality can achieve. I am honored to call him my son and am happy that he is fulfilling his dream."

Combs committed to UCLA in the middle of a coaching change, as the school had recently fired Rick Neuheisel. Jim Mora is the new coach.

"It was like love at first sight when I visited there," Combs told ESPNNewYork.com. "I loved the whole tradition of UCLA and the school and the academics and just everything about it."

Don't even think of going on the Mike and Mike Facebook page. I've been on there commenting off and on throughout the day and some of the people on there make my fucking head hurt. :fp:

I'll post my thoughts on it all in a little bit after I get home from work, but figured may as well get the conversation started and see what others think, if we actually have some people with a brain on here or if it's more of the same dumbasses I've been reading responses from on the Mike and Mike Facebook page.

psuexv
06-01-2012, 03:24 PM
This is ridiculous. Wealthy kids get offered scholarships all the time. What about Pro athletes kids who get offered schollies? Maybe they don't have the money of Diddy but they've got plenty of it.

morsdraconis
06-01-2012, 04:02 PM
God damn I fuckin' hate people. :smh:

It's really this god damn simple:

Did the kid earn the scholarship fair and square for his athletic abilities? No rules broken by giving the kid the scholarship (doctored SAT scores or some shit)?

Then it's a non-issue. Rich kids get scholarships all the damn time. I'm pretty sure Carson Palmer's parents were fuckin' loaded and he got a full ride at USC.

Maybe it is a good thing that a zombie apocalypse is coming because it's shit like this that makes me think we need a reset button cause humanity is fucked.

JeffHCross
06-01-2012, 05:46 PM
This is ridiculous. Wealthy kids get offered scholarships all the time. What about Pro athletes kids who get offered schollies? Maybe they don't have the money of Diddy but they've got plenty of it.Yeah, I don't hear about people saying that Barry Sanders Jr doesn't deserve a scholarship.

If this was a need-based scholarship, well, no shit he shouldn't be getting it. But it's an athletic scholarship. Money has no factor there.

Now, if he turns around and commits NCAA violations because his "family needed the money", then we've got a problem. And an answer for whether or not giving kids a little extra in their scholarship would make any damn difference at all.

I caught about 10 minutes of Mike & Mike this morning. Golic looked livid about it, and I loved it!

coogrfan
06-02-2012, 01:31 PM
#9 Wisconsin
http://www.philsteele.com/Pdf/2012Top40Countdown/9Wisconsin.pdf

SmoothPancakes
06-02-2012, 01:48 PM
This is ridiculous. Wealthy kids get offered scholarships all the time. What about Pro athletes kids who get offered schollies? Maybe they don't have the money of Diddy but they've got plenty of it.

God damn I fuckin' hate people. :smh:

It's really this god damn simple:

Did the kid earn the scholarship fair and square for his athletic abilities? No rules broken by giving the kid the scholarship (doctored SAT scores or some shit)?

Then it's a non-issue. Rich kids get scholarships all the damn time. I'm pretty sure Carson Palmer's parents were fuckin' loaded and he got a full ride at USC.

Maybe it is a good thing that a zombie apocalypse is coming because it's shit like this that makes me think we need a reset button cause humanity is fucked.

Yeah, I don't hear about people saying that Barry Sanders Jr doesn't deserve a scholarship.

If this was a need-based scholarship, well, no shit he shouldn't be getting it. But it's an athletic scholarship. Money has no factor there.

Now, if he turns around and commits NCAA violations because his "family needed the money", then we've got a problem. And an answer for whether or not giving kids a little extra in their scholarship would make any damn difference at all.

I caught about 10 minutes of Mike & Mike this morning. Golic looked livid about it, and I loved it!

I'm glad to see you guys are all as smart and reasonable as I thought you all were. :D

Instead of typing out a new response on the topic, I'm just going to copy/paste my response that I made in the discussion on this topic on Mike and Mike's Facebook page. The fact that I had to get so in-depth and so extensive in my response on that discussion basically will sum up all 677 comments made without needing to read any of them, and some of the morons commenting on there.

Some of you people talk about this making you sick, some of you people make me sick. I've been a lifelong Democrat, but now I completely understand the socialism talk by Republicans. Here is this kid who excelled in the classroom and on the football field, earned an athletic scholarship on a Division I-A college football team with his hard work in school and hard work in practice and in football games, and instead of celebrating his achievements in life, we're condemning him because his rich father isn't paying his way through college.

Have any of you ever thought maybe Justin is trying to do things on his own, set himself up for success on his own like his father did, trying to make his own name for himself instead of riding daddy's coattails to fame? Maybe Sean is making his son earn his way into and through college instead of just letting junior ride his coattails, spend his hard earned money and go through life with a silver spoon because he's the son of a $500 million man, instead of working hard like his father and earning his own money, earning his own successes in life and having a successful and productive life?

Justin Combs put in the work to get to where he is today. We tell our kids every day to work hard, put in the effort, work to achieve your goals and earn your way through life, yet when this kid does EXACTLY that, you all want to just completely rip it out of his arms just because his father happens to be a rich music mogul. So apparently it's perfectly fine to work hard for your achievements and goals and earn your way through life, unless you have a parent who is rich, then "to hell with you, have your daddy pay for it."

And if his father should have to pay everything because he's rich, like Golic was saying this morning, where is the cut off line? If you earn $100,000 per year you have to pay your kid's way through college no matter what? $500,000 per year? $1 million in the bank account? $5 million in the bank account? What's the line people?

Next, this is an athletic scholarship, paid for by ticket sales, donors, boosters, etc. This is not public money your own son or daughter can earn just for doing well in their classes. So some random kid who was depending on that money to get them into school, no, this isn’t financial aid, it’s a scholarship for elite and good football players.

As for the “next kid in line” who could have received that scholarship, if the coaches truly wanted that kid and that kid truly was good enough in the classroom and on the field to earn his own scholarship, he would have received one. He didn’t, he wasn’t good enough to earn a UCLA football scholarship. It happens every year at all 120 Division I-A football teams, some kid whose parents think he’s the next Tom Brady find out their kid isn’t good enough to earn a scholarship from a DI-A football team, its life! Get used to it!

And finally to end, a question I have been challenging people to answer all day long, and yet amazingly, not one single person has either been able to answer or willing to answer. If you're so outraged and up in arms because Sean Combs' son was given a scholarship that he EARNED with his hard work in the classroom and on the field, then where the hell is the outrage and people up in arms about every other kid of a rich parent currently in colleges all over the country on athletic and academic scholarships?

How come none of you were outraged that Andrew Luck was given an athletic scholarship to Stanford even though his parents are both loaded enough to have paid for his tuition? How come none of you ARE outraged that Matt Barkley currently has an athletic scholarship to USC even though his parents are loaded enough to pay for his tuition? How come none of you were outraged back when Peyton and Eli Manning were on scholarships to play college football at UT and UM when Archie Manning definitely has more than enough money to have paid all their tuition costs?

How come none of you are outraged that Doc Rivers' son, Austin Rivers, has an athletic scholarship to play basketball at Duke, even though I'm certain Doc Rivers has more than enough money to pay for his son's tuition? How come none of you are outraged that the sons of Michael Jordan, Joe Montana, Barry Sanders, and countless other sons of rich former athletes all currently have athletic scholarships at their respective universities even through their dads all have more than enough money to pay their tuition and "free up these scholarships for the poor, under-privileged kids" who just didn't have good enough grades and wasn't quite good enough on the athletic field to earn his own scholarship over the likes of these "privileged kids of rich parents"?

If you have never ONCE been outraged at all these other privileged children of rich and famous parents earning athletic scholarships but suddenly because Sean Combs' son has earned one you consider it a grave injustice to the American education system, then you may kindly shut the hell up.

ram29jackson
06-02-2012, 02:11 PM
all of PHIL Steeles mumbo jumbo is looking for patterns,tendencies and trends..i'm surprised it confuses captain research (jeffHcross) LOL

my problem is as of right now, I need a magnafying glass to read it..it does have a quick reference of returning and leaving players while most mags dont have that.

I dont gamble..but he seems to be well regarded by those people...but yeah, a couple other preview issues and Sports Illustrated is still more my thing...but i miss Street and Smiths..that was the Bible for so long

baseballplyrmvp
06-02-2012, 02:14 PM
on his choice to go to fucla....:smh: but good for him for earning a scholarship instead of relying on his dad to pay for his way.

football players go to :USC: to get to the next level......football players go to ucla to ruin their football careers.

JeffHCross
06-02-2012, 03:22 PM
The fact that I had to get so in-depth and so extensive in my response on that discussion basically will sum up all 677 comments made without needing to read any of them, and some of the morons commenting on there.Well said. Very, very well said.

Since you mentioned the dreaded socialism ... go watch this http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/tue-may-29-2012/communist-central---obama-s-socialist-scheme :D

i'm surprised it confuses captain research (jeffHcross) LOLWhen did I say it confuses me? I enjoy it. But you do have to learn it, and I can appreciate that others wouldn't want to. I used Phil's magazines extensively when I was working on my 1995 Buckeyes project.

It doesn't surprise me (since practically everyone has them around there), but I really didn't expect it from Phil.Just found out today that Athlon has Ohio State at #6. :fp:

SmoothPancakes
06-02-2012, 03:33 PM
Well said. Very, very well said.

Since you mentioned the dreaded socialism ... go watch this http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/tue-may-29-2012/communist-central---obama-s-socialist-scheme :D
When did I say it confuses me? I enjoy it. But you do have to learn it, and I can appreciate that others wouldn't want to.

:D Nice. I really need to start watching him more often.

coogrfan
06-04-2012, 12:41 PM
#8 Georgia
http://www.philsteele.com/Pdf/2012Top40Countdown/8Georgia.pdf

gschwendt
06-04-2012, 11:01 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TEnKaHsa5Y

morsdraconis
06-05-2012, 05:17 AM
Just a FYI, you're WAY late on that Tommy. ;)

You've already got me keeping track of them and watching them right as they come out.

coogrfan
06-05-2012, 12:27 PM
#7 Texas
http://www.philsteele.com/Pdf/2012Top40Countdown/7Texas.pdf

coogrfan
06-06-2012, 12:40 PM
#6 Oregon
http://www.philsteele.com/Pdf/2012Top40Countdown/6Oregon.pdf

coogrfan
06-07-2012, 01:51 PM
#5 Alabama
http://www.philsteele.com/Pdf/2012Top40Countdown/5Alabama.pdf

ram29jackson
06-08-2012, 02:06 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TEnKaHsa5Y

thats wonderful and interesting stuff and they can scare teams..but top 25 when your schedule isnt all that interesting ( except for NU and Oregon) they will always be second fiddle to the Razorbacks.

they are quality, but in my life time, almost all the same big schools have remained the same big/popular/winning schools...the only one trully dropping has been ND.

the top 40 have been pretty consistant for decades.

coogrfan
06-08-2012, 12:24 PM
#4 USC
http://www.philsteele.com/Pdf/2012Top40Countdown/4USC.pdf
#3 LSU
http://www.philsteele.com/Pdf/2012Top40Countdown/3LSU.pdf

psuexv
06-08-2012, 12:55 PM
#4 USC
http://www.philsteele.com/Pdf/2012Top40Countdown/4USC.pdf
#3 LSU
http://www.philsteele.com/Pdf/2012Top40Countdown/3LSU.pdf

So he's going to have Florida State and Oklahoma at 1 and 2, I'm assuming Oklahoma at 1. Interesting.

morsdraconis
06-08-2012, 02:45 PM

Atrocious.

JeffHCross
06-08-2012, 09:44 PM
So he's going to have Florida State and Oklahoma at 1 and 2, I'm assuming Oklahoma at 1. Interesting.If I cared enough, I'd look at my magazine that's about six feet away ...

baseballplyrmvp
06-08-2012, 10:31 PM
:USC: at 4 is terrible. barring a bad injury to barkley, woods or lee, they're a lock for the national championship game.

baseballplyrmvp
06-08-2012, 10:34 PM
jeff, do you remember former 4* OL Aundrey Walker from glenville, ohio? iirc, he was a long time verbal commit to osu, but chose :USC: on signing day.... was a monster, listed at 375 pounds. anyways, he went on a massive diet over the past year, and is now under 300 pounds. lol /random fact

JeffHCross
06-08-2012, 11:26 PM
Vaguely. Only reason I remember him is that he was Glenville, which most Buckeye fans thought was a synonym for "lock". Good to hear he slimmed down, it's probably for the best.

SCClassof93
06-09-2012, 07:04 AM
This should help UGA recruiting some :D :fp:

http://m.onlineathens.com/local-news/2012-06-08/uga-professor-charged-prostitution

SmoothPancakes
06-09-2012, 07:10 AM
Getting busted for prostitution when a professor at a major university. :fp:

Getting busted for prostitution as a man dressed up as women when a professor at a major university. :fp: :fp: :fp:

SCClassof93
06-09-2012, 08:09 AM
Getting busted for prostitution when a professor at a major university. :fp:

Getting busted for prostitution as a man dressed up as women when a professor at a major university. :fp: :fp: :fp:

:up: :sick: :confused:
Perhaps a change from UGA to UGAy or UGAg? :popcorn:

IBI
06-09-2012, 09:14 AM
jeff, do you remember former 4* OL Aundrey Walker from glenville, ohio? iirc, he was a long time verbal commit to osu, but chose :USC: on signing day.... was a monster, listed at 375 pounds. anyways, he went on a massive diet over the past year, and is now under 300 pounds. lol /random fact
He was definitely a target of ours, but, IIRC, he never verballed to Ohio State. Good to hear that he's getting down to business.

JeffHCross
06-10-2012, 11:26 AM
For anyone that hasn't seen it ...
Multiple Gunshot Victims Near Auburn University (http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57450046/multiple-gunshot-victims-near-auburn-university/)

Personal account on Reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/auburn/comments/uu71d/3_au_football_players_shot_1_reported_dead/

morsdraconis
06-10-2012, 01:30 PM
Idiots man. Just stupid juvenile idiots.

ram29jackson
06-11-2012, 04:17 PM
my friends email's just talked about this..pretty sad for a major college football program. At least Mora is taking care of a few things early on

I was reading that UCLA Football never had a Strength and Conditioning Coach. For years they said they've had one but it was the S&C Coach for all programs. Mora fought for Football to have it's own S&C coach. No wonder we had so many injuries. We're getting training form some women's softball or swimming conditioning coach.

I HATE THAT CRAP FROM UCLA ! Everybody's equal. Bull

baseballplyrmvp
06-12-2012, 09:22 AM
my friends email's just talked about this..pretty sad for a major college football program. At least Mora is taking care of a few things early on

since when is ucla a major college football program? :D

psuexv
06-12-2012, 09:58 AM
:USC: at 4 is terrible. barring a bad injury to barkley, woods or lee, they're a lock for the national championship game.

I'd actually have to agree. I'd probably put them at 2 right behind Oklahoma. The teams are actually pretty similar. Veteran QBs who should be the front runners for the Heisman. Talent at the skill positions and looks of experience on defense. I'm giving Oklahoma the nod because of coaching.

baseballplyrmvp
06-12-2012, 10:12 AM
I'd actually have to agree. I'd probably put them at 2 right behind Oklahoma. The teams are actually pretty similar. Veteran QBs who should be the front runners for the Heisman. Talent at the skill positions and looks of experience on defense. I'm giving Oklahoma the nod because of coaching.

http://ithuglife.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/622.gif

psuexv
06-12-2012, 10:23 AM
http://ithuglife.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/622.gif

Stoops over Kiffin..... ummm.... Yeah

ram29jackson
06-12-2012, 07:24 PM
since when is ucla a major college football program? :D

theyve been lacking certain disciplines, but they still get better recruits than 60-70 % of all the major colleges. Some might say they fail because
theyve actually had a clean program...or a lazy one...

baseballplyrmvp
06-12-2012, 08:13 PM
Stoops over Kiffin..... ummm.... Yeah

stoops' staff over kiffin's staff? NOOOOO

souljahbill
06-13-2012, 04:38 PM
So what's more preferable: Top 4 or top 4 conference champs if they're in the top 6? Also, who or what picks the top 4/6?

baseballplyrmvp
06-13-2012, 07:58 PM
imo, if a team cant even win their conference, they should never be allowed to play for the national championship.

SmoothPancakes
06-13-2012, 08:33 PM
imo, if a team cant even win their conference, they should never be allowed to play for the national championship.

:+1:

morsdraconis
06-13-2012, 08:53 PM
It should be several stipulations:

1. Win Conference (either via conference championship game or just straight up winning it via head-to-head games)
2. Preferably be the top 4 schools in the BCS Poll unless rule #1 disqualifies them
3. Be in the top 12
4. If no above rules apply, take the first school that fits rule #3 going from #1 down the polls

Now, there's no worry of a school like Western Kentucky (just an example of a low tier school with possibly an easy schedule) skating by with a stupid easy schedule, going undefeated, and possibly making it in (since it's highly unlikely they'd be in the top 12) and gives the power conferences a possible chance at having two of their schools in the National Championship Playoff at the end of the year.

As a for example, here is the breakdown of the above for the past several years (with logical seedings of #1 playing #4 and #2 playing #3):

2011: #1 LSU vs #7 Boise State and #3 Oklahoma State vs #4 Stanford (with the MNC Alabama left out because of rule #1)

2010: #1 Auburn vs #4 Wisconsin and #2 Oregon vs #3 TCU (Perfect setup with the best one loss team in the nation as the extra with 3 undefeated teams)

2009: #1 Alabama vs #4 Cincinnati and #2 Texas vs #3 TCU (Perfect once again. This time with 4 undefeated teams squaring off for the Championship - unfortunately, Boise State would have been on the outside looking in that year at #6 behind one loss Florida who just got trounced in the SEC Championship Game by Alabama)

2008: #1 Oklahoma vs #6 Utah and #2 Florida vs #5 USC (first time that #3 and #4 have been skipped over because of rule #1 but definitely meaningful as Oklahoma beat Texas already and Florida already beat Alabama)

2007: #1 Ohio State vs #4 Oklahoma and #2 LSU vs #3 Virginia Tech (the most controversial season for the BCS probably ever would be easily solved pitting what most considered the four best teams in the nation against one another)

2006: #1 Ohio State vs #6 Louisville and #2 Florida vs #5 USC (the original "rematch" possibility between Ohio State and Michigan became null-in-void when Florida trounced Ohio State in the MNC game)

2005: #1 USC vs #6 Notre Dame and #2 Texas vs #3 Penn State (the one time that there probably wouldn't be a reason to have a playoff as the two only undefeated teams faced one another but giving Penn State a chance at the Championship still)

2004: #1 USC vs #6 Utah and #2 Oklahoma vs #3 Auburn (a battle of 4 undefeated teams as it should always be - unfortunately, once again, Boise State, while undefeated, is left asking why they didn't get a chance)

2003: #1 Oklahoma vs #4 Michigan and #2 LSU vs #3 USC (battle of the top 4 conference champions again, as it should be)

2002: #1 Miami vs #4 USC and #2 Ohio State vs #3 Georgia (the one year where things are a bit weird: Ohio State and #5 Iowa both went undefeated in the Big Ten but Ohio State went undefeated overall and Iowa lost to instate rival Iowa State early in the season - hard to judge this one but the current setup of the Big Ten with the conference championship would prevent such a thing from happening again)

2001: #1 Miami vs #5 Florida and #3 Colorado vs #4 Oregon (#2 Nebraska would be skipped over because of rule #1)

Pretty interesting stuff. I'd LOVE to see a setup like this. Imagine the incredible games you'd have and the Cinderella stories that could happen with a team like Boise State or BYU making the playoffs.

gschwendt
06-14-2012, 02:55 PM
Arkansas State at Oregon on 9/1 will be on ESPN at 9:30pm CT.

ram29jackson
06-14-2012, 03:01 PM
Arkansas State at Oregon on 9/1 will be on ESPN at 9:30pm CT.

one reason i'm glad to live on the west coast.

although I prefer how in the east coast on Sundays, games dont start till 1 PM LOL

ram29jackson
06-14-2012, 03:06 PM
looking at Athlons...

so let me get this straight....? TCU is predicted to finish 5th in their own conference, but ranked 22 in the nation L O freaking L

a little bit a Big 12 bias there :D

souljahbill
06-14-2012, 03:08 PM
I'm guessing OK, OK St., K-St., and West Virginia or Texas are ranked ahead? I can see TCU being 5th and still ranked

ram29jackson
06-14-2012, 03:17 PM
I'm guessing OK, OK St., K-St., and West Virginia or Texas are ranked ahead? I can see TCU being 5th and still ranked

exactly why playoffs are needed though. Thats a bunch of subjective new math bullpucky :D

souljahbill
06-14-2012, 03:40 PM
exactly why playoffs are needed though. Thats a bunch of subjective new math bullpucky :D

Subjective math? Is that a thing?

Anyway, I still say that playoffs don't really tell you who truly is the best is.

morsdraconis
06-14-2012, 03:49 PM
Subjective math? Is that a thing?

Anyway, I still say that playoffs don't really tell you who truly is the best is.

A full fledged 16 team playoff would. You'll occasionally have a New York Giants moment (team gets hot at the right time and rattles off the wins necessary to win it all) but, more often than the bullshit system they have right now, it would result in a true National Champion for the sport.

souljahbill
06-14-2012, 04:07 PM
A full fledged 16 team playoff would. You'll occasionally have a New York Giants moment (team gets hot at the right time and rattles off the wins necessary to win it all) but, more often than the bullshit system they have right now, it would result in a true National Champion for the sport.

I don't believe any playoff system, no matter how many teams, will tell you who the true champ is. Playoff brackets only determine who can be the first to beat/win 3 or 4 games/series.

Take the NCAA basketball tournament. You're telling me that of the "best" 68 teams, the champ only has to beat 6 of them? Yeah, THAT proves who's the best.

morsdraconis
06-14-2012, 04:12 PM
I don't believe any playoff system, no matter how many teams, will tell you who the true champ is. Playoff brackets only determine who can be the first to beat/win 3 or 4 games/series.

Take the NCAA basketball tournament. You're telling me that of the "best" 68 teams, the champ only has to beat 6 of them? Yeah, THAT proves who's the best.

How many times have you seen the best team in college basketball not, at the very least, be in the Final 4 to win it all? I'd venture to guess it's close to never. If the team really is great and worthy of winning a National Championship, they'll be in place to win that championship.

Do you really think what we have now is better than that? I just can't possibly see how that is the case.

ram29jackson
06-14-2012, 04:22 PM

:D and youre confused by my subjective math joke ?

dude, single elimination is just that, single elimination. You beat who you play or go home. You would rather have...Mr. fat ass in khaki's picked that team because his computer ratings and a little funny money told him to ? Or a playoff where you beat the team in front of you who is at least rated somewhat near what you are ?

souljahbill
06-14-2012, 04:28 PM
I don't believe the current system is necessarily the best but when someone squeks into the playoffs, then wins the thing, does that prove that team is the best, especially when they didn't have to play at least 1/2 the field? One and dones are also the worst because anyone can have a "Little Giants" moment and win a game. In a one and done situation, the 2001 NBA champs would be the Philadelphia 76'ers and not the Lakers who wound up winning the next 4 games and went, like 15-1 in that playoff run or something like that. Whatever year George Mason went to the Final Four, you'll have a hard time convincing me that they were, at worst, the 4th best team in the country.

If 8-4 Rutgers beats 13-0 Alabama in a playoff game, are we really gonna say that Rutgers is better then Alabama or that they played a good game and they got lucky? Even last year in LSU/Bama I, Alabama was the better team but LSU caught all the breaks and won but when LSU/Bama II came around, Bama (the team that didn't win their conference or division) showed they they were clearly the better team.

souljahbill
06-14-2012, 04:30 PM
:D and youre confused by my subjective math joke ?

Only because math, by nature, isn't subjective.

ram29jackson
06-14-2012, 04:44 PM
I don't believe the current system is necessarily the best but when someone squeks into the playoffs, then wins the thing, does that prove that team is the best, especially when they didn't have to play at least 1/2 the field? One and dones are also the worst because anyone can have a "Little Giants" moment and win a game. In a one and done situation, the 2001 NBA champs would be the Philadelphia 76'ers and not the Lakers who wound up winning the next 4 games and went, like 15-1 in that playoff run or something like that. Whatever year George Mason went to the Final Four, you'll have a hard time convincing me that they were, at worst, the 4th best team in the country.

If 8-4 Rutgers beats 13-0 Alabama in a playoff game, are we really gonna say that Rutgers is better then Alabama or that they played a good game and they got lucky? Even last year in LSU/Bama I, Alabama was the better team but LSU caught all the breaks and won but when LSU/Bama II came around, Bama (the team that didn't win their conference or division) showed they they were clearly the better team.

sports is based on time clocks ( for the most part) instantaneous moments. If you didnt have the larger score by the final buzzer ( or final out LOL) you are not the better team for that moment in time and that is all that matters. Thats the point of a playoff. You are still basing your ideas on subjective opinionated rankings by saying "we all know so and so was/is better "

if Rutgers beats LSU in one game thats tough shit for LSU :down:. It means Rutgers was better for that game and thats all that matters in sports.
You are only as good as your last game.

ram29jackson
06-14-2012, 04:45 PM
Only because math, by nature, isn't subjective.

:D thats why its called a joke.

then again, that BCS math seems a little funky at times :D

souljahbill
06-14-2012, 04:59 PM
sports is based on time clocks ( for the most part) instantaneous moments. If you didnt have the larger score by the final buzzer ( or final out LOL) you are not the better team for that moment in time and that is all that matters. Thats the point of a playoff. You are still basing your ideas on subjective opinionated rankings by saying "we all know so and so was/is better "

if Rutgers beats LSU in one game thats tough shit for LSU :down:. It means Rutgers was better for that game and thats all that matters in sports.
You are only as good as your last game.

Look, I'm not crazy. I fully realize that games aren't played on paper and "that's why you play the games" and all that. I'm just saying, it's not like questions and doubts won't exist because all of a sudden just because their's a playoff.

(I don't follow NHL hockey so their may be some inaccuracies in what I'm about to say) Take the LA Kings for example, the 8th best team in the west. Now, their trophy is well deserved because apparently, they beat the top 3 teams in the west to reach the Finals and beat the Devils but are they the best? They didn't get to play the Penguins, the Flyers, the Rangers, the Capitals, etc. they may have avoided every team capable of beating them just because somebody else played them instead.

xGRIDIRONxGURUx
06-14-2012, 05:02 PM
sports is about "little giants" moments... that is why if you are to be the best, you beat every tom, dick, and harry, bill, joe, and bobby that lines up in front of you... no excuses... no regrets... if Bama lost to Western Kentucky in round 1 of a playoff, who is to blame? they knew it was a playoff... they knew they were collectively better... but still didn't execute...

i don't buy anybody's point of view that a playoff is NOT the way to go with college football... regardless of the made up situation above, how many times do people get into arguments because of late season wins over tougher opponents that help their team jump in the BCS polls... SAME LOGIC... if you are expected to win, you should win, if not, you go home

the best way i can think of to do a college football tournament would be to have 16 teams play... all drawn at random live... then the 8 teams standing that saturday night get tossed into another drawing to play at random... then 4... and then champion... so long as you make the cut of 16, your future is entirely in your hands... this would really show off not only the players, but the coaches, being pressed for time to scout, assemble, and execute... this would be my dream playoff

souljahbill
06-14-2012, 05:04 PM
I'm not against playoffs. I'm just saying playoffs don't "prove" who the best is.

ram29jackson
06-14-2012, 05:14 PM
Look, I'm not crazy. I fully realize that games aren't played on paper and "that's why you play the games" and all that. I'm just saying, it's not like questions and doubts won't exist because all of a sudden just because their's a playoff.

(I don't follow NHL hockey so their may be some inaccuracies in what I'm about to say) Take the LA Kings for example, the 8th best team in the west. Now, their trophy is well deserved because apparently, they beat the top 3 teams in the west to reach the Finals and beat the Devils but are they the best? They didn't get to play the Penguins, the Flyers, the Rangers, the Capitals, etc. they may have avoided every team capable of beating them just because somebody else played them instead.

Then why didnt any of them make it that far ? Answer = you are only as good as your last game.

ram29jackson
06-14-2012, 05:28 PM
uh oh, I'm seeing e mails now.

My friends are planning for going to the UCLA,Nebraska game on September 8th :)

morsdraconis
06-14-2012, 06:45 PM
I'm not against playoffs. I'm just saying playoffs don't "prove" who the best is.

They may not be definitive, but they, most definitely, are better than what they trot out there as a Championship game right now. Having two teams play that have already played once in the season again in a single elimination winner takes all game without anyone else having a chance is utter bullshit.

JeffHCross
06-14-2012, 10:50 PM
so let me get this straight....? TCU is predicted to finish 5th in their own conference, but ranked 22 in the nation L O freaking L

a little bit a Big 12 bias there :DYou do know that Baylor, TCU, Kansas State, Oklahoma and West Virginia finished #13, 14, 15, 16, and 17 in the AP poll last year, right? Granted, they weren't all Big 12 schools last year, and so they will take each other out to an extent this year, but they're certainly got the talent to have five in the Top 20.

Anyway, I still say that playoffs don't really tell you who truly is the best is.If playoffs don't, nothing else does either. The BCS certainly doesn't (which, BTW, is a 2-team playoff ;)). Split National Championships certainly doesn't. It's the end-all-be-all, but it's progress in the right direction.

If 8-4 Rutgers beats 13-0 Alabama in a playoff game, are we really gonna say that Rutgers is better then Alabama or that they played a good game and they got lucky? Even last year in LSU/Bama I, Alabama was the better team but LSU caught all the breaks and won but when LSU/Bama II came around, Bama (the team that didn't win their conference or division) showed they they were clearly the better team.If Gordon Hayward had hit that last second shot and Butler had defeated Duke, would anyone dispute that they won the national championship? If VCU had completed their improbable run and won the championship, would anyone have disputed it? March Madness has the same problems with hot teams or teams that barely get in that a college football playoff does, but because the playoffs have been around longer, people are okay with it.

Hell, the Kings were an 8 seed and did about as well in the Stanley Cup playoffs as any team can do ... they may not have been the best team all year, but they're Stanley Cup Champions.

Take the LA Kings for example, the 8th best team in the west. Now, their trophy is well deserved because apparently, they beat the top 3 teams in the west to reach the Finals and beat the Devils but are they the best? They didn't get to play the Penguins, the Flyers, the Rangers, the Capitals, etc. they may have avoided every team capable of beating them just because somebody else played them instead.But ... they're Stanley Cup Champions. So ... :dunno:. Since the NHL Lockout ended, no #1 seed in the East has even reached the Finals, so being the "best" team all year has done jack lot of good.

Little Steve
06-15-2012, 06:27 PM
You guys gotta see who clemson got :o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtJ5iNzV_zk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvwEjkc97cY

ram29jackson
06-15-2012, 07:27 PM
You do know that Baylor, TCU, Kansas State, Oklahoma and West Virginia finished #13, 14, 15, 16, and 17 in the AP poll last year, right? Granted, they weren't all Big 12 schools last year, and so they will take each other out to an extent this year, but they're certainly got the talent to have five in the Top 20.

yes,but what difference does it make since its all based on a fictional criteria ?

JeffHCross
06-15-2012, 09:22 PM
yes,but what difference does it make since its all based on a fictional criteria ?wat?

SmoothPancakes
06-15-2012, 09:34 PM
wat?

My thoughts exactly. :D

ram29jackson
06-15-2012, 10:21 PM
wat?

you are saying so and so finished with this and that rank like its a assumed given that its a truth in the number when its really not.

coogrfan
06-17-2012, 05:30 PM
How many times have you seen the best team in college basketball not, at the very least, be in the Final 4 to win it all? I'd venture to guess it's close to never.

In 2011 the Final Four here in Houston consisted of: Kentucky (#15 in the final AP regular season AP poll), UConn (#21 and the eventual "champ"), Butler (unranked) and VCU (ditto).

morsdraconis
06-17-2012, 08:44 PM
In 2011 the Final Four here in Houston consisted of: Kentucky (#15 in the final AP regular season AP poll), UConn (#21 and the eventual "champ"), Butler (unranked) and VCU (ditto).

But, that year, the highly ranked teams all lost early. Pretty good indication to me that their ranks were inflated in my mind and, yet again, a perfect example of how a playoff system is FAR superior to anything else that the NCAA has trotted out in an attempt to have a champion.

Rankings are subjective and, more than anything, based on past performances more than current achievements. At least a playoff system including 8-16 teams would give teams that don't have the ability to live off of other teams' success in that conference for the ability to win the thing that every college player wants to achieve.

coogrfan
06-17-2012, 10:48 PM
But, that year, the highly ranked teams all lost early. Pretty good indication to me that their ranks were inflated in my mind and, yet again, a perfect example of how a playoff system is FAR superior to anything else that the NCAA has trotted out in an attempt to have a champion.

What it indicates is that the only games that really matter in CBB are the ones after the regular season is concluded. UConn finished 9th in the Big East (9-9 in it's conference). They got hot in the conf tourny, and continued that hot streak thru the NCAA's to the title. In other words, the 2010-11 MBB regular season was even more pointless and meaningless than it usually is...and that's saying something.

Rankings are subjective and, more than anything, based on past performances more than current achievements. At least a playoff system including 8-16 teams would give teams that don't have the ability to live off of other teams' success in that conference for the ability to win the thing that every college player wants to achieve.

Even if it means sacrificing the thing that sets cfb apart from all other sports?

morsdraconis
06-17-2012, 11:13 PM
What it indicates is that the only games that really matter in CBB are the ones after the regular season is concluded. UConn finished 9th in the Big East (9-9 in it's conference). They got hot in the conf tourny, and continued that hot streak thru the NCAA's to the title. In other words, the 2010-11 MBB regular season was even more pointless and meaningless than it usually is...and that's saying something.

The regular season has always been pointless and always will be. Just like the NBA and the NFL. When you have more than 10-12 games, the regular season doesn't matter because there are games that you can lose without it being a big deal. I can guarantee you two things though:

1: The end of the regular season absolutely matters for the teams fighting to get in the playoffs/better seedings in the playoffs.

2: In a season like college football's season (12 or 13 games a season before the postseason begins) and the setup that I have posited (win conference to get bid, top 4 unless they don't fit criteria #1, take top ranked team that fits criteria #1 in place of top 4), you have a postseason where the regular season absolutely matters. Being in the top 4 with a conference win is a guaranteed spot in the playoffs. Being outside of the top 4 means you have to hope someone in it loses their conference, giving you a chance.

Even if it means sacrificing the thing that sets cfb apart from all other sports?

You mean, the thing that sets the FBS portion of college football from all other sports since the FCS has been doing a playoff system since 1978 without any issues at all (including slowly expanding the number of playoff teams from 4 in 1978, to including 20 teams starting the 2010 season).

No controversy over who won and who didn't get a chance. No bullshit. Just games decided on the field when it matters the most.

FCS playoffs are exciting as hell. I can only imagine how exciting FBS playoffs would be in a stadium with 75,000 fans screaming for their teams to win.

SmoothPancakes
06-17-2012, 11:19 PM
You mean, the thing that sets the FBS portion of college football from all other sports since the FCS has been doing a playoff system since 1978 without any issues at all (including slowly expanding the number of playoff teams from 4 in 1978, to including 20 teams starting the 2010 season).

No controversy over who won and who didn't get a chance. No bullshit. Just games decided on the field when it matters the most.

FCS playoffs are exciting as hell. I can only imagine how exciting FBS playoffs would be in a stadium with 75,000 fans screaming for their teams to win.

Which is why all this "think of the students" bullshit from the NCAA and playoff opponents annoy the hell out of me. FCS, Division 2, Division 3, NAIA, they all have playoffs with 16+ teams, they all do just fine and people in those divisions don't complain about the "students missing class time", but as soon as we get to the FBS level, oh, well, heaven forbid they have to play more than one game. You play the tournament during the same time as the bowl games (since I imagine the bowl games would remain for all the other teams), and you'll be done by the first or second week of January at the latest, long before students start up the spring semester, instead of this current stupid "lets wait 40+ days from the end of the regular season to play the championship game" bullshit.

morsdraconis
06-18-2012, 08:21 AM
You play the tournament during the same time as the bowl games (since I imagine the bowl games would remain for all the other teams), and you'll be done by the first or second week of January at the latest, long before students start up the spring semester, instead of this current stupid "lets wait 40+ days from the end of the regular season to play the championship game" bullshit.

Funny enough, if the playoffs thing really takes off for FBS (as it should), then bowl games will disappear because, once again, bowl games DO NOT make money for schools. Conferences; sure, but not schools. WVU reported losing somewhere in the neighborhood of $250,000 on their trip to the Orange Bowl. A bowl game that they won, and a BCS bowl game no less. I can only imagine the type of money lost by a school like Boise State who got fucked out of playing in a BCS bowl game again and instead had to go to some shitty bowl game.

It just blows me away that people are actually ok with this current system. It's corrupt as hell (numerous times top 12 outside of the power conference teams have been skipped over in favor of bullshit matchups like Michigan vs Virginia Tech last year :smh:), teams rarely make money off of them in the long run, and it's not a real logical goal to have as a team on the outside looking in.

SmoothPancakes
06-18-2012, 08:52 AM
Funny enough, if the playoffs thing really takes off for FBS (as it should), then bowl games will disappear because, once again, bowl games DO NOT make money for schools. Conferences; sure, but not schools. WVU reported losing somewhere in the neighborhood of $250,000 on their trip to the Orange Bowl. A bowl game that they won, and a BCS bowl game no less. I can only imagine the type of money lost by a school like Boise State who got fucked out of playing in a BCS bowl game again and instead had to go to some shitty bowl game.

It just blows me away that people are actually ok with this current system. It's corrupt as hell (numerous times top 12 outside of the power conference teams have been skipped over in favor of bullshit matchups like Michigan vs Virginia Tech last year :smh:), teams rarely make money off of them in the long run, and it's not a real logical goal to have as a team on the outside looking in.

Well, I don't know, I've always felt we'd probably have some hybrid system, at least at first. While the schools make take a bath on the bowl games, they do help when it comes to recruiting.

And yeah, this current system is always going to be corrupt and biased. It's led by men and, to give it an appearance of "fairness", by computers created and programmed by men. Just look at this year. It was perfectly fine (in the eyes of the BCS) to have Alabama and LSU rematch and play each other again in the championship game, but heaven forbid if it had happened between Ohio State and Michigan in 2006. Or a couple years ago when, I think it was Auburn, was one of three teams who were undefeated and they got left out, how is any decision and voting there not potentially biased towards one team and against another? It's one massive biased and corrupt system and basically nothing but college football's version of "the good old boy network".

ram29jackson
06-18-2012, 04:06 PM
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt82/ram29jackson/_insult-usc-trojan-800x800.jpg

SmoothPancakes
06-18-2012, 04:19 PM
:nod: :D

JeffHCross
06-18-2012, 09:12 PM
you'll be done by the first or second week of January at the latest, long before students start up the spring semesterFWIW, Ohio State started back on January 3 when I was there :D That will change next year though.

What it indicates is that the only games that really matter in CBB are the ones after the regular season is concluded. UConn finished 9th in the Big East (9-9 in it's conference). They got hot in the conf tourny, and continued that hot streak thru the NCAA's to the title. In other words, the 2010-11 MBB regular season was even more pointless and meaningless than it usually is...and that's saying something.In any playoff system, the regular season is meaningful. How meaningful it is is dependent on what the criteria is for selecting the playoff team. Right now we're talking about a four team playoff system. In the vast majority of seasons, losing once will put you on the "needing some help" list, and losing twice will all but eliminate you. That's really no different than the current BCS system. 2007 is the only season in recent memory where the regular season may look "meaningless" with a four team playoff, but the BCS title game between a two-loss LSU team and an Ohio State that backed its way into the championship didn't look much better. In a 12 game season (11 games in FCS), you only have so many chances to blow it.

I've been a massive fan of the FCS playoffs for years. Yes, a few times Appalachian State didn't look so hot during the season and then went on a run in the playoffs. But it works.

And I still contend that VCU or Butler, if they had won their championship, would be just as deserving as the LA Kings were this year in the Stanley Cup Finals. You still have to be good enough to win the tournament to claim the championship.

The BCS is a playoff system, but the "championship final" is set by the voters and computers, not on the field. A four-team playoff only changes this marginally.

SmoothPancakes
06-18-2012, 10:02 PM
FWIW, Ohio State started back on January 3 when I was there :D That will change next year though.

:D Fair enough. I still want to think and believe that the majority of schools don't resume until mid-January, and even then, still, playoffs have worked perfectly fine in the FCS, DII, DIII and NAIA for years. There is no reason that it couldn't work in FBS without "harming the students".

baseballplyrmvp
06-18-2012, 11:17 PM
http://i600.photobucket.com/albums/tt82/ram29jackson/_insult-usc-trojan-800x800.jpg

http://images.sodahead.com/polls/000203038/polls_TrojanVsBruin_3715_132967_poll_xlarge.jpeght tp://l.yimg.com/iu/api/res/1.2/N05tPmQVQh4kAN8R4PVoBg--/YXBwaWQ9eXZpZGVvO2NyPTA7ZHg9MDtkeT0wO2ZpPXVsY3JvcA--/http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/ac/bb/fullj.a10dd719f8e351ee5f6f1f550ed6a110/105303370.0

gschwendt
06-18-2012, 11:19 PM
http://images.sodahead.com/polls/000203038/polls_TrojanVsBruin_3715_132967_poll_xlarge.jpeght tp://l.yimg.com/iu/api/res/1.2/N05tPmQVQh4kAN8R4PVoBg--/YXBwaWQ9eXZpZGVvO2NyPTA7ZHg9MDtkeT0wO2ZpPXVsY3JvcA--/http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/ac/bb/fullj.a10dd719f8e351ee5f6f1f550ed6a110/105303370.0
I like this one:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/gschwendt/graphicwork/farks/vsarkansas.jpg

baseballplyrmvp
06-18-2012, 11:23 PM
I like this one:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/gschwendt/graphicwork/farks/vsarkansas.jpg

:nod:

even better is this

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/ABPub/2008/08/26/2008140259.jpghttp://usctrojanfootballfan.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/mind-the-gap.jpg

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

baseballplyrmvp
06-18-2012, 11:26 PM
and one of my most favorite moments in ucla/USC history :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4VXjyDnYs4

ram29jackson
06-19-2012, 12:48 AM
:D dude ,I'm just posting some college football humor. I could care less if UCLA sucks.

Youre obsessing pretty hard on it though :D

baseballplyrmvp
06-19-2012, 10:15 AM
ucla and boise state are two teams i will always give the finger to.

gschwendt
06-19-2012, 10:40 AM
Very nice to see our name come up in recruiting when it's also attached to two higher profile teams.
http://www.missourinet.com/2012/06/19/mizzou-in-final-three-for-dual-threat-qb-sec-quick-hits-for-619/

The University of Missouri is among the top three choices of 6’2, 190 pound Cedar Hill, TX quarterback Damion Hobbs (http://missouri.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1376434). He’s a dual threat quarterback who says he will make his decision before the start of his senior season. In addition to Mizzou, Hobbs is also considering Nebraska and Arkansas State (coached by former Auburn offensive coordinator, Gus Malzahn). During his junior year, Hobbs threw for 997 yards and completed 67% with 21 total touchdowns. He also added another 875 yards rushing. The three-star recruit also visited with Baylor and Kansas State.

ram29jackson
06-19-2012, 04:00 PM
Very nice to see our name come up in recruiting when it's also attached to two higher profile teams.
http://www.missourinet.com/2012/06/19/mizzou-in-final-three-for-dual-threat-qb-sec-quick-hits-for-619/

rumor has it that your present Ark State QB is considered a better than average talent they expect good things from this year.

razorback44
06-20-2012, 10:35 PM
rumor has it that your present Ark State QB is considered a better than average talent they expect good things from this year.
Aplin is legit. He is going to be a beast this year in Malzahn's offense.

gschwendt
06-27-2012, 12:48 PM
David Oku (former Tennessee RB) is enrolling at Arkansas State and will be eligible this fall. From what I can tell, he's been out of football for a year but he should at least be able to contribute in the return game. Then imagine next year (2013) with Dyer and Oku in the backfield together. :cool:

ram29jackson
06-27-2012, 02:34 PM
David Oku (former Tennessee RB) is enrolling at Arkansas State and will be eligible this fall. From what I can tell, he's been out of football for a year but he should at least be able to contribute in the return game. Then imagine next year (2013) with Dyer and Oku in the backfield together. :cool:

ok, but why wasnt he around for a while ? why he leave Tenn?

LOL I understand i can google this, just asking the obvious conversational question

gschwendt
06-27-2012, 02:44 PM
ok, but why wasnt he around for a while ? why he leave Tenn?

LOL I understand i can google this, just asking the obvious conversational questionHe fell down the depth chart at Tennessee after his sophomore year... essentially he was a really bad fit for their style of offense. He got in trouble for a domestic dispute with this girlfriend (he pushed her) and so he decided to take a year off to clear his head (from what I understand).

ram29jackson
06-27-2012, 04:17 PM
Pam Ward disrespects injured Marshall player live

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9Nfla0CmH0&feature=player_embedded

souljahbill
06-28-2012, 05:46 AM
As an athletic trainer, I can't begin to tell you how much melodrama is on the field sometimes when someone gets hurt. I've made mad dashes across the field to check on people hollering like they've been shot by a sniper for the most insignificant of injuries. Stuff that they miss 1 or 2 plays over. I'm not saying the Marshall kid wasn't legitimately or excusing Pam Ward for sighing and wanting to speed up getting the dude off the field but a lot of times, what takes so long is getting the player to just calm the hell down and tell us what the hell happened.

ram29jackson
06-28-2012, 04:14 PM
As an athletic trainer, I can't begin to tell you how much melodrama is on the field sometimes when someone gets hurt. I've made mad dashes across the field to check on people hollering like they've been shot by a sniper for the most insignificant of injuries. Stuff that they miss 1 or 2 plays over. I'm not saying the Marshall kid wasn't legitimately or excusing Pam Ward for sighing and wanting to speed up getting the dude off the field but a lot of times, what takes so long is getting the player to just calm the hell down and tell us what the hell happened.

yes, but they posted that because they hate her anyway.

I saw a thread where she was taken off doing football games for the coming year and all were glad to see her gone.

I dont care for women doing football announcing either myself, or any other men's sports for that matter.

souljahbill
06-29-2012, 05:03 PM
Just saw on SportsCenter that Isiah Crowell has been dismissed from the Georgia football team.

gschwendt
06-30-2012, 01:25 PM
Rumors circulating that Michael Dyer has been cleared to play for the 2012 season. :)

coogrfan
07-02-2012, 10:41 AM
These should start showing up in stores this week.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v72/gocoogs/mcfarlaneonline_2215_165378464.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v72/gocoogs/mcfarlaneonline_2215_161026087.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v72/gocoogs/mcfarlaneonline_2215_161170124.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v72/gocoogs/mcfarlaneonline_2215_161314894.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v72/gocoogs/mcfarlaneonline_2215_161459660.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v72/gocoogs/mcfarlaneonline_2215_161604973.jpg

Kingpin32
07-04-2012, 03:05 PM
So one of TTU's receivers, Darrin Moore is suspended indefinitely cause of a DWI.

baseballplyrmvp
07-05-2012, 09:41 AM
Just saw on SportsCenter that Isiah Crowell has been dismissed from the Georgia football team.

headed to alabama state

gschwendt
07-05-2012, 03:42 PM
Not too surprising but Michael Dyer has been ruled ineligible for 2012 season.

ram29jackson
07-05-2012, 07:01 PM
McFarlane CFB Series 4

I still prefer the pro versions..but the Marcus Allen one is nice

souljahbill
07-05-2012, 09:53 PM
Not too surprising but Michael Dyer has been ruled ineligible for 2012 season.

And the entire SunBelt breathes a sigh of relief

gschwendt
07-06-2012, 03:16 PM
For anyone that is like me and just likes to hear Malzahn talk...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koXUag8vjrw&amp;feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zo-hkGMEhto&amp;feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gE4wWHluAkk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qppa4KR8m18

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PLLSRd3aOs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmMqkZqZcio

morsdraconis
07-06-2012, 03:18 PM
:up:

I'll have to watch these sometime today.

morsdraconis
07-06-2012, 04:20 PM
Interesting stuff. Gus Malzahn is definitely interesting to talk to. Really glad for you guys to hear that you have 6 televised games. Hoping I'll be able to watch them all this year. :up:

JeffHCross
07-06-2012, 05:09 PM
Well, since I'm not getting Season Ticket, I guess I have to pass the time somehow. I guess I'll have to watch ...
AustinWolv, you're not going to like this ....

Appalachian State vs Michigan

SmoothPancakes
07-06-2012, 05:25 PM
Excellent choice there Jeff. :D