PDA

View Full Version : Random College Football Discussion Thread

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

SmoothPancakes
03-30-2011, 04:06 PM
I wouldn't have a problem with this.

Yeah, as long as there wasn't a mass exodus of conferences deciding to play on Sundays, hoping to get the spotlight to themselves, I wouldn't mind it. I never really watch or get to watch Pac-10 games unless they are on Fox Sports Ohio or Fox Sports Detroit. And with no NFL games (if the lockout lasted that long) on Sunday, why not have the Pac-10 play some games on Sunday? It'd give me something to watch on Sunday, an extra day each week to watch college football, and I'd get to actually watch some Pac-10 games.

JBHuskers
03-30-2011, 04:11 PM
It could be games that wouldn't otherwise be prominently televised....

JeffHCross
03-30-2011, 07:40 PM
The Pac 12 has come out and said if we have no NFL, they would move games to Sundays.Larry Scott said they'd think about it (http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1205409). Nothing official, last I saw.

gschwendt
04-01-2011, 03:52 PM
No joke
http://www.arkansassports360.com/img.php?w=630&src=http://assets.inarkansas.com/13916/ucas-new-turf.jpg
http://www.arkansassports360.com/24378/no-joke-uca-announces-plans-for-purple-and-gray-field-at-estes-stadium

SmoothPancakes
04-01-2011, 04:53 PM
Hmm. I'm actually not sure where I stand on this. It's certainly different than the solid blue at Boise or solid red at Eastern Washington. Part of me hates it, but part of me sort of likes it, especially with the alternating colors.

gschwendt
04-01-2011, 05:42 PM
Hmm. I'm actually not sure where I stand on this. It's certainly different than the solid blue at Boise or solid red at Eastern Washington. Part of me hates it, but part of me sort of likes it, especially with the alternating colors.
I really don't like it personally. It would be one thing if the gray were actually light green or something but even then it might not work well. I myself though am against non-green playing field.

morsdraconis
04-01-2011, 06:28 PM
Not that they actually play on TV, but good lord that has to look TERRIBLE on TV.

JBHuskers
04-01-2011, 10:47 PM
Surprised Oregon hasn't made their field highlighter yellow yet.

JeffHCross
04-01-2011, 10:52 PM
Surprised Oregon hasn't made their field highlighter yellow yet.Let's not tempt the fates, please.

gschwendt
04-05-2011, 08:09 PM
Pretty cool video of our QB wearing a helmet cam during practice
http://arkansasvarsity.rivals.com/content.asp?SID=1107&CID=1207957

SmoothPancakes
04-06-2011, 06:58 PM
Big Ten Announces 2013 and 2014 Conference Football Schedules (http://www.bigten.org/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/040611aaa.html)

I hope Minnesota enjoyed getting reamed by Ohio State this past season, because those two won't be playing each other again until 2015 at the earliest.

JeffHCross
04-06-2011, 11:02 PM
Big Ten Announces 2013 and 2014 Conference Football Schedules (http://www.bigten.org/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/040611aaa.html)I am not a fan. Rotating off Michigan State & Nebraska, and rotating on Iowa and Nebraska. Now, Iowa for Sparty might be a fair trade ... but I want to play more Nebraska!!!

Plus, we might never play Minnesota again. If they keep doing two-team rotations, I don't see how this is ever going to work. The SEC does one-team rotations every year. That's the only way to properly do a schedule that has guaranteed cross-division games, and do it well.

Otherwise, what? You give us Minnesota and Michigan State for 2015 and 2016? Then Nebraska and Iowa for 2017 and 2018? Uggggghhhhh. Do not want.

Though, by 2015 we'll probably be a 16-team conference.

gschwendt
04-07-2011, 10:01 AM
Sun Belt looking to add an 11th member (http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/04/07/2154460/sun-belt-might-add-11th-school.html)

Most likely candidate is Louisiana Tech... after that, possibilities are New Mexico State (though I don't like the geographical fit), UAB and Tulane. Personally, I would love to add both LaTech and UAB giving us 12 members. Obviously I'd rather have other schools but I see both of those two as actual possibilities.

JBHuskers
04-07-2011, 02:18 PM
Sun Belt looking to add an 11th member (http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/04/07/2154460/sun-belt-might-add-11th-school.html)

Most likely candidate is Louisiana Tech... after that, possibilities are New Mexico State (though I don't like the geographical fit), UAB and Tulane. Personally, I would love to add both LaTech and UAB giving us 12 members. Obviously I'd rather have other schools but I see both of those two as actual possibilities.

Championship game too...wonder why they don't just go for 12.

gschwendt
04-07-2011, 02:22 PM
Championship game too...wonder why they don't just go for 12.Well, I'm sure that's the ultimate goal but the problem is who do you add? There aren't good FCS schools to really target because they're either waiting to leapfrog the SBC when they join or just want to remain near the top of the FCS. I think though that by the time South Alabama officially joins for football in 2012, we'll have firm discussions in place about who our 12th member will be.

Rudy
04-10-2011, 06:43 PM
I really hope that no major conference goes beyond 12 teams. 16 teams just doesn't seem to work for me. At 16 teams then you have 7 division games. That means two out of division games so it would take four years to play everyone in the other division. Just seems way too much. Plus the money doesn't make any sense for me at 16. Those last four teams you add are mediocre at best. Do they deserve an equal cut of your profits? Does their inclusion allow you to make that much more money off of TV revenues to split the current revenue up even more? I just don't see how going from 12 to 16 teams makes you more money and that's what this is all about. I honestly could see the Big 10 going to 13 if they add Notre Dame but it would have to be a bigger revenue school.

I think the new Big 12 model of 10 teams may work if they can keep it together. As long as you have a strong nucleus it could potentially make more money for the teams still there. Sure you lose the title game but that may help a team get to the BCS title game as well. Just think if Bama hadn't blown a 24-0 lead against Auburn. It is so hard to go undefeated in the SEC but it won't nearly be as hard to do this in the Big 12. Texas will make out like bandits with their own TV network too. A lot of big teams may get jealous.

Flav
04-12-2011, 01:59 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6283726

Duron Carter to Alabama

jaymo76
04-13-2011, 12:58 AM
Just saw Arizona States new uniforms. I just want to go on record now that I am actually embarassed to be a Sun Devils fan. Love the all black uni's... did anyone consider they play in one of the hottest areas in western North America??? Plus the new logo... awful. A sad, sad day for ASU... IMO...

SmoothPancakes
04-13-2011, 02:21 AM
Just saw Arizona States new uniforms. I just want to go on record now that I am actually embarassed to be a Sun Devils fan. Love the all black uni's... did anyone consider they play in one of the hottest areas in western North America??? Plus the new logo... awful. A sad, sad day for ASU... IMO...

What the hell did I just look at?

psuexv
04-13-2011, 08:13 AM

Is this the new logo you are talking about? http://yfrog.com/h8w2qp

http://yfrog.com/h8w2qp

DariusLock
04-13-2011, 03:21 PM
So this Spring Training is going horrible for Ole Miss. DT Shackleford our rising LB who was also our sack leader and suppose to be our vocal leader this year is out for the season. He tore is ACL in a block shedding drill on Monday. Three of our defensive ends are out Kentrell Lockett(Season ending injury last year, received Medical RS), Gerald Rivers, and Wayne Dorsey. Another one of our LB's had surgery on his knee yesterday but he will be back.

We seem to have found a QB though in Randall Mackey if he can over come his speech problem. Apparently he beat out Masoli and Stanley last year but his speech problem was such and influence. Zack Stoudt and Barry Brunnetti look to be terrific options is something goes wrong with Mackey. Enrique Davis looks to maybe finally live up to all the 5-Star hype.

JeffHCross
04-17-2011, 01:12 PM
A sad, sad day for ASU... IMO...Could be worse.

Penis piping, after all.

baseballplyrmvp
04-19-2011, 08:26 PM
UMass is gonna announce it's moving to the MAC in 2012-2013

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6390279

SmoothPancakes
04-19-2011, 10:30 PM
I'm not sure about that move, at least from the perspective of the MAC. Buffalo's the only MAC team even up that way, unless you want to consider Temple as being in that region as well. Everyone else is in Ohio, Michigan, Indiana and Illinois. Logistics-wise, adding UMass is a bit outside the conference footprint and gonna only add more to the travel costs.

morsdraconis
04-19-2011, 10:37 PM
I think it makes perfect sense. They want to even out the teams in their conference, what better way to do it than with a team that adds something to both Basketball and Football (UMass used to be damn good in basketball).

cdj
04-22-2011, 10:46 AM
Nebraska-Wisconsin moved to a night game on ESPN (http://host.madison.com/sports/college/football/article_7ce4788c-6cd7-11e0-b276-001cc4c03286.html).

jaymo76
04-24-2011, 01:51 PM
It's been great watching the Spring games on BIG 10. Man I miss football season...

gschwendt
04-27-2011, 03:27 PM
One of the greatest comebacks in college football history... enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgoHD7IG1G4
If you're an impatient asshole and don't want to watch the build-up, click here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgoHD7IG1G4&feature=player_detailpage#t=207s).

ram29jackson
04-27-2011, 05:56 PM
so, Ohio State is having problems now.

Big deal,..another story. you pretty much cant be in the top 40 unless youre doing something suspect..

college football is just a under the table semi pro league now. its just now, the kids are so well trained, they dont have to bring in adult pro/ringers like they did in the 20s or 30s haha

cdj
04-29-2011, 04:19 PM
"Wow, Russell Wilson granted release by N.C. State. Can pursue football opps at other schools now ... Wow"

Pretty surprising story...

HuskerBlitz
04-29-2011, 06:24 PM
Nebraska has been kicked out of the AAU. No idea if or how this affects our Big 10 membership status.

Academic group drops UNL
« Metro/Region
Related News

* UNO giving break to more Iowans
* UNL pushes extra tuition for some
* NU faculty losing salary race

Related Links

* AAU members

Advertisement
Perlman's letter

Dear Colleagues:

I have some disconcerting news. The membership of the Association of American Universities has voted to discontinue Nebraska's membership in that organization. We have known we were at risk of this for ten years, and successfully fought off a similar threat in 2000. I had hoped our extraordinary accomplishments and steep trajectory would have made us less vulnerable, but the AAU's approach to the review made this result inevitable. There was really nothing more you could have accomplished to forestall this result.

Here is what happened.

The AAU has a unique ranking system that ranks all research universities (including non-AAU schools). It consists of four criteria: research expenditures, National Academy members, faculty awards (from a specified list), and citations. An institution's productivity on each of these criteria is “normalized” by the number of tenure track faculty. Each institution is then ranked in accordance with these “normalized” criteria and the average ranking is the overall ranking for each institution. In accordance with this system, we were ranked last among AAU institutions. A number of non-AAU institutions received a higher rank than UNL and a higher rank than 14 other AAU institutions.

The ranking system put us at a disadvantage because of the way NU's system is organized with separate flagship and medical campuses. A large majority of AAU institutions have medical schools and are allowed to count medical research data. With UNMC's research included we would have had research expenditures above many other AAU institutions. Medical schools are both research intensive and also have a high ratio of research per tenure track faculty because many of their faculty who produce research are not “tenure track faculty” and thus not counted. Thus having a medical school is a disproportionate advantage in the AAU rankings that UNL did not enjoy.

The second disadvantage we face is that AAU inappropriately devalues agricultural research. It does not count any research funded by USDA (or by any private-sector interest) in the overall ranking. However, it does count agricultural faculty in the number used to normalize the rankings. The result is the ranking counts agriculture faculty but not the research they produce. Because of our strong commitment as a land-grant institution to serving the State of Nebraska, we are seriously disadvantaged within the AAU ranking system.

A third disadvantage we face is that we are a comprehensive university. Although the AAU purports to limit membership to “comprehensive” institutions, the normalization process favors those institutions narrowly focused on disciplines qualified for federal research dollars. In fact our total research expenditure is higher than two prominent, but highly specialized institutions.

We presented a data-based argument that demonstrated the specific ways that the ranking metrics distorted UNL's actual research accomplishments, but our argument did not prevail. The AAU Membership Policies, however, provide that when an institution is reviewed the review committee should engage in a second-stage process to make a “qualitative judgment about the mission, characteristics, and trajectory” of the institution.

I believe we had a strong case on the “second stage.” Among AAU institutions we have had the 7th largest percentage growth in research expenditures over the last decade. We have leadership or partnership roles in research with all of the highest ranked AAU institutions. We have faculty achievements that are not counted by AAU but are of equal merit. For example, no credit is given to a faculty who claims a Poet Laureate of the United States or the winner of the Bancroft Prize in History. We had thought our lack of a medical school, our land-grant obligations, and our AAU-leading research trajectory would be taken into account during this second stage. Unfortunately, the Review Committee refused to make any “qualitative judgment” that departed from the ranking and the membership went along.

There is within AAU a group of institutions who believe the organization should be smaller and that the rankings are an appropriate measure of institutional quality. We are not the only institution to be affected and if AAU continues with this effort others will be vulnerable. In the end, while we received strong support from almost all of our Big Ten colleagues, all of our former Big 12 colleagues, and other public research universities, it was not sufficient. There were other troubling events during this process, which I may write about in another forum.

So what does this mean for us? I do not see this development in any way impacting our momentum or diminishing our accomplishments. Although there is some reputational advantage to AAU membership, it is difficult to identify specific ways in which our membership was essential or influential in our current success. As University of Nebraska President James B. Milliken often says, we strive to be the best public university in the country as measured by the impact we have on our people and our state, and through them, the world. On that ranking, I think we are in the top tier.

Harvey

LINCOLN — The University of Nebraska-Lincoln has been kicked out of the Association of American Universities, UNL Chancellor Harvey Perlman announced to faculty in a memorandum Friday.

UNL's membership in one of what some describe as the nation's most prestigious academic organizations was a factor in the Big Ten Conference's decision to invite UNL as a member last year.

All of the other Big Ten schools are AAU members -- and news reports indicate that other candidates for membership were ruled out because they were not AAU members.

Perlman said the AAU's vote to reject UNL does not now jeopardize UNL's Big Ten status.

"If we hadn't been in the AAU, I don't know whether they would have admitted us or not," he said.

UNL had been a member of the AAU since 1909. Its membership had been in jeopardy in 2000, but leaders successfully made a case to be retained as a member.

Perlman said the AAU's formula for ranking universities downgrades institutions like UNL that have a strong agricultural focus and lack a medical school. He said other AAU institutions also may be in jeopardy of losing their membership.

Kingpin32
04-29-2011, 06:27 PM
"Wow, Russell Wilson granted release by N.C. State. Can pursue football opps at other schools now ... Wow"

Pretty surprising story...
Will he have to wait a year to play again? Or can he play immediately?

JeffHCross
04-29-2011, 10:20 PM
Will he have to wait a year to play again? Or can he play immediately?That is dependent on where he goes. If he stays at FBS/I-A, he has to sit a year. If he goes to a lower division, he can play immediately.

He's a redshirt junior, so he doesn't have the option to sit a year. He has to transfer to a lower division if he wants to play in 2011. The only other option, I believe, would be for him to sit out the entire year, not even going to class.

According to the terms of the release, Wilson cannot transfer to another ACC school or a school on N.C. State’s schedule.

Wilson, a three-year starter who ranks second in ACC history in touchdown responsibility with 93 scores, is playing professional baseball for the Asheville Tourists and did not participate in spring practice.

psuexv
05-03-2011, 03:42 PM
Pac-12 gets richest TV deal

The Pac-12 will receive about $3 billion over 12 years by selling most of its top football and basketball games to Fox and ESPN - the richest deal ever for a college conference - sources confirmed Tuesday.

Meanwhile the conference will organize its own cable-TV network to begin in 2012.

Cal, Stanford and the other 10 conference schools stand to make about $21 million a year from the new deal, which was first reported by the New York Times. It is worth about $250 million per year, more than quadrupling the current deal with ESPN and Fox.

Under the Pac-10's current $60 million deal, each school received only about $6 million, and the number varied greatly depending on how many of its football games were shown.

Pac-10 Commissioner Larry Scott, whose conference becomes the Pac-12 with the addition of Colorado and Utah on July 1, will announce the agreements Wednesday at the conference meetings in Phoenix.

In starting its own network, the Pac-12 will follow the lead of the Big Ten, which created its own network in 2007 and also negotiated a 10-year, $1 billion deal with ESPN.

Unlike the Big Ten Network, of which Fox has a 49 percent stake, the Pac-12 Network will be owned solely by the conference.

"We didn't feel we had to give equity to get the broadcast and cable packages we got," Scott told the Times.

The new deal is a major coup for Scott, the former pro tennis player and former head of the Women's Tennis Association whom the Pac-10 hired in 2009 to succeed the retiring Tom Hansen.

The Big Ten, SEC, Big 12 and the ACC all have landed TV contracts in recent years. The numbers were impressive. For instance, the Big 12's new deal with Fox is worth $1.2 billion. But the Pac-12 deal has trumped them all.

Being last put the Pac-12 in the driver's seat in a bidding contest among ESPN, Fox and Comcast/NBC, which was hoping to raise the profile of its Versus channel.

Under the new deal, as outlined by the Times and confirmed by other sources, the conference's football games will be shown on ABC (like ESPN, a Disney property) and Fox - five of them in prime time each season - as well as on ESPN's various networks and FX. Basketball will be shown on the ESPN networks and Fox Sports Net. A package of the conference's so-called Olympic sports will be shown on ESPN.

In recent years, Comcast Sports Net has contracted with Fox to show football and basketball in the Bay Area on CSNBA and CSNCA. That relationship presumably will continue in the new deal.

ESPN and Fox will rotate the newly created Pac-12 football championship game, and the basketball tournament will alternated between the ESPN networks and Fox and FX.

The vast majority of the conference's sports programming, except for football and men's basketball, will wind up on the new Pac-12 Network as well as a digital outlet to be created, according to reports. The Pac-12 Network will have to work out deals with existing cable and satellite distributors, but Scott told the Times his conference could follow the template of the successful Big Ten Network.

"They did a lot of things wonderfully and successfully," he said. "They were pioneers. They were forthcoming with us. But when you're the second to do it, you get to draft behind the first one."

Officials at Cal and Stanford declined to discuss the new TV deal until it was officially announced.

souljahbill
05-03-2011, 03:59 PM
Can't wait for the C-USA Network

*crickets*

These deals are going to hurt exposure for mid-majors. Now, instead of showing a marquee mid-major matchup, all these stations will end up showing Vanderbilt vs. Kentucky or Kansas St. vs. Iowa St. just to fulfill contract obligations.

HWill
05-03-2011, 04:12 PM
Can't wait for the C-USA Network

*crickets*

These deals are going to hurt exposure for mid-majors. Now, instead of showing a marquee mid-major matchup, all these stations will end up showing Vanderbilt vs. Kentucky or Kansas St. vs. Iowa St. just to fulfill contract obligations.

Are you telling me that you don't to see Wake Forest vs. Duke or Rutgers vs. Syracuse on a Saturday Afternoon? You're crazy. ;)

souljahbill
05-03-2011, 04:22 PM
Are you telling me that you don't to see Wake Forest vs. Duke or Rutgers vs. Syracuse on a Saturday Afternoon? You're crazy. ;)

:D Exactly!

I know I have a biased outlook because Southern Miss is usually contending for the C-USA East championship but I rarely get to see any games on tv and now I'm going to see them even less if the networks have to put middle-of-the-pack and lower "big boys" on tv.

psuexv
05-03-2011, 07:06 PM

I know I have a biased outlook because Southern Miss is usually contending for the C-USA East championship but I rarely get to see any games on tv and now I'm going to see them even less if the networks have to put middle-of-the-pack and lower "big boys" on tv.

Yeah but is like that now. I don't know how many times I've tuned in Saturday to see Northwestern playing Purdue. Usually it's fairly regional for the early games, hopefully you still get that

souljahbill
05-03-2011, 07:34 PM
Yeah but is like that now. I don't know how many times I've tuned in Saturday to see Northwestern playing Purdue. Usually it's fairly regional for the early games, hopefully you still get that

I know that's how it is. I'm ticked because it's only going to get worse. The BCS conferences are going to go from 90% of the televised games to 95%. The only time a mid-major is going to get some tv time is Nevada/Boise St., TCU/Boise St., and Army/Navy. :(

jaymo76
05-03-2011, 08:06 PM
Living in Canada, it's even tougher to get games. Yes, we get some ABC/CBS feeds and I have a subscription to the Big 10 network but there is NO ESPN license in Canada so it's really difficult to follow my team (ASU). I would love to get the PAC 12 in order to get some more variety and follow the teams closer to where I live.

HuskerBlitz
05-03-2011, 11:47 PM
The Big 10 has commented on Nebraska's removal from the AAU.

Here's a statement from Big Ten associate commissioner Jennifer Heppel:

"Nebraska is a substantial academic institution. It was when its application to join the Big Ten Conference was unanimously approved by the Big Ten Council of Presidents/Chancellors and it is today. The Big Ten Conference does not have control over other organizations' actions. We're excited for July 1st."

Also of note today, Syracuse withdrew itself from the AAU after coming under scrutiny from other member schools.

cdj
05-04-2011, 07:06 AM
The local sports radio station's biggest issue with the Pac-1012 TV deal was "this means there's no impetus for a playoff when they get this kind of money." :fp:

Personally, I think the bigger story is that the Pac-1012 might lose their "East Coast bias" excuse since the ESPN family of networks will now be airing a significant number of games.

souljahbill
05-04-2011, 07:34 AM
I know I'm in the minority when I say that I'm against a playoff.

SmoothPancakes
05-04-2011, 03:07 PM
And the Feds looking into possibly opening an antitrust inquiry into the BCS.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6479279

WASHINGTON -- The Justice Department has sent a pointed letter to the NCAA asking why there isn't a playoff system for college football.

The department has been urged to launch an antitrust investigation into college football's Bowl Championship Series, to ensure that some schools don't get preferential treatment in access to the national championship game.

The Justice Department's antitrust chief, Christine Varney, asked NCAA president Mark Emmert what steps have been taken toward a playoff system.

Varney told Emmert that his views would help the department decide the "best course of action" with the BCS.

BCS executive director Bill Hancock says he's confident that the BCS complies with the law. The NCAA didn't immediately respond to a request for comment.

psuexv
05-04-2011, 03:11 PM
I love it when the government gets involved in sports.

What I can't understand is that every single other sport there is a NCAA champion crowded... but never for football. Playoff or not, I can't believe the NCAA won't take responsibility for crowning a champ.

Rudy
05-04-2011, 06:25 PM
I know I'm in the minority when I say that I'm against a playoff.

I'm with you. The BCS is fun imo. I would be fine with a plus 1 but I have ZERO interest in a playoff with 8 or more teams.

Living in Canada, it's even tougher to get games. Yes, we get some ABC/CBS feeds and I have a subscription to the Big 10 network but there is NO ESPN license in Canada so it's really difficult to follow my team (ASU). I would love to get the PAC 12 in order to get some more variety and follow the teams closer to where I live.

With Bell I pay $50 to subscribe to the college package and we get a lot of extra ABC and ESPN feeds. I only missed two Michigan games all last year.

JeffHCross
05-04-2011, 07:38 PM
Are you telling me that you don't to see Wake Forest vs. DukeThey already have that. It's called Raycom Sports (I refuse to learn what the new name of that syndication channel is).

What I can't understand is that every single other sport there is a NCAA champion crowded...The Rose Bowl has been played every year since 1916. The first collegiate football playoff wasn't until 1953 (NAIA). You really can't understand why the bowl system is still around? I mean, I don't fully understand why they didn't change from Bowls to Playoffs in the 70s (when I-AA was formed, started a playoff, and both D2 and D3 started playoffs as well), but I'm sure you can understand why they're not running to a playoff now.

jaymo76
05-04-2011, 11:46 PM
I'm with you. The BCS is fun imo. I would be fine with a plus 1 but I have ZERO interest in a playoff with 8 or more teams.

With Bell I pay $50 to subscribe to the college package and we get a lot of extra ABC and ESPN feeds. I only missed two Michigan games all last year.

I'm on Shaw right now as we spent a bundle on digital/pvr a few years back so I guess I not changing providers anytime soon. However, that Bell package sounds really nice. May need to "negotiate" a new list of priorities with the wife.

psuexv
05-05-2011, 08:28 AM
The Rose Bowl has been played every year since 1916. The first collegiate football playoff wasn't until 1953 (NAIA). You really can't understand why the bowl system is still around? I mean, I don't fully understand why they didn't change from Bowls to Playoffs in the 70s (when I-AA was formed, started a playoff, and both D2 and D3 started playoffs as well), but I'm sure you can understand why they're not running to a playoff now.

Oh I understand why the Bowls are still around($$$$) and I love the bowl games. I just don't understand why the NCAA has no part in naming a champion(maybe not so much now because it is its own monster, but what about in 1916 when there was only 1 bowl?).... Like I said, playoff or not, it baffles me that they crown a champion in all other sports except Football.

JeffHCross
05-06-2011, 10:57 PM
Will he have to wait a year to play again? Or can he play immediately?

That is dependent on where he goes. If he stays at FBS/I-A, he has to sit a year. If he goes to a lower division, he can play immediately. He's a redshirt junior, so he doesn't have the option to sit a year. He has to transfer to a lower division if he wants to play in 2011. The only other option, I believe, would be for him to sit out the entire year, not even going to class.

Turns out I was wrong on this. Wilson has already graduated from NC State, so he can play at any other school, taking advantage of the same rule that allowed Jeremiah Masoli and Greg Pawlus to transfer for graduate school.

DariusLock
05-07-2011, 12:48 PM

You could always come drink a beer and watch Ole Miss with me lol.

JeffHCross
05-07-2011, 02:46 PM
I'd like "More Shit for Ohio State to Deal With" for $1,000, Alex.

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2011/05/07/osu-to-investigate-players-car-deals.html?sid=101

The investigation was initiated after The Dispatch found in public records that at least eight Ohio State athletes and 11 athletes' relatives bought used cars from Jack Maxton Chevrolet or Auto Direct during the past five years. The investigation will involve outside experts and examine at least 50 sales, focusing on whether the athletes received improper benefits.

The common thread in those two dozen transactions was the salesman: Aaron Kniffin, who has worked at both dealerships.

Sigh. :smh:

souljahbill
05-07-2011, 03:18 PM
You could always come drink a beer and watch Ole Miss with me lol.

I think I'd rather watch figure skating then watch Ole Miss. :p

I wish the powers that be would get their heads out of their butts and let Ole Miss/Mississippi St. play Southern Miss. Every game would sell out.

jaymo76
05-07-2011, 05:45 PM
I'd like "More Shit for Ohio State to Deal With" for $1,000, Alex.

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2011/05/07/osu-to-investigate-players-car-deals.html?sid=101

Sigh. :smh:

Once the can of worms opens, it's pretty hard to get the lid back on. A programmse such as OSU looked (and most likely thought) they were untouchable. I am shocked that the NCAA has decided to take on one of it's flagship franchises. This should be a message to ALL FBS schools to make sure the skeletons are out of the closet ASAP!

JeffHCross
05-08-2011, 03:02 PM
Eh, if you actually look at the history of OSU, we're not untouchable, nor are we saints. We just have a tendency (like many other top-tier schools) to act like we are. It was only 6 years ago that Troy Smith got in trouble, and not very long before that was the whole Jim O'Brien affair.

DariusLock
05-08-2011, 03:48 PM
I think I'd rather watch figure skating then watch Ole Miss. :p

I wish the powers that be would get their heads out of their butts and let Ole Miss/Mississippi St. play Southern Miss. Every game would sell out.

State plays Southern next year I think.

souljahbill
05-08-2011, 05:48 PM
State plays Southern next year I think.

I know they are but I don't remember if it's this upcoming year or not. Anyway, I'm sure playing USM would make more money then playing UL-Monroe or UAB or any other C-USA/Sunbelt/FCS school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ram29jackson
05-09-2011, 01:52 AM
I say, playoffs plus Bowls - keep some major bowls for post season holiday fun

cdj
05-25-2011, 12:03 PM
WVU investigating Holgorsen incident (http://espn.go.com/blog/bigeast/post/_/id/20211/wvu-investigating-holgorsen-incident)
By Brian Bennett

West Virginia offensive coordinator and head-coach-in-waiting Dana Holgorsen was escorted out of a casino last week after 3 a.m., according to the Charleston Daily Mail. Mountaineers officials say they are investigating what happened.

"Athletic director Oliver Luck and head coach Bill Stewart have been made aware of the alleged incident," the school said in an official statement. "Once they have all the facts, they will deal with it appropriately."

No charges have been filed against Holgorsen. According to the Daily Mail, Holgorsen was at the Mardi Gras Casino & Resort in Cross Lanes, W.Va., on May 18 when he became uncooperative with management. Casino security was called to deal with the situation. The Charleston Gazette reports that when local police arrived, Holgorsen left the casino and sat on a bench outside to wait for a taxi. Holgorsen showed up for a WVU golf function the next morning.

It's important to note here that there was no arrest made. The unusual setup between Stewart and Holgorsen and how that relationship will play out is a story everybody is understandably curious about. But it would be just speculation at this point to talk about the effects this report may have on that.

morsdraconis
05-25-2011, 01:03 PM
(shrugs) Alcohol is a bitch sometimes.

psusnoop
05-26-2011, 07:41 AM
Sorry Jeff, I'll take more OSU shit for 800

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6592185

Associated Press

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Former Ohio State wide receiver Ray Small told the school's student newspaper that he sold Big Ten championship rings and other memorabilia for cash and got special car deals as an athlete during his playing days.

The Lantern reported that Small, who played for the Buckeyes from 2006-2010, said "everyone was doing it" on the team.

Big Ten blog

Rittenberg ESPN.com's Adam Rittenberg writes about all things Big Ten in his conference blog.

• Blog network:
College Football Nation

Five Buckeyes players are suspended for the first five games of the 2011 season for selling memorabilia to the owner of a local tattoo parlor. That is considered an improper benefit under NCAA rules. Coach Jim Tressel also is suspended for five games and is under investigation by the NCAA for knowing about his players' involvement and not telling his superiors for more than nine months.

Small said, "We had four Big Ten rings. There was enough to go around."

He added that, despite Ohio State's large and proactive NCAA compliance department, most of student-athletes "don't even think about (NCAA) rules."

Small said he used the money he got to cover his typical costs of living.

"We have apartments, car notes," he said. "So you got things like that and you look around and you're like, 'Well I got (four) of them, I can sell one or two and get some money to pay this rent."

He said the biggest advantages came from car dealerships.

"It was definitely the deals on the cars. I don't see why it's a big deal," said Small.

They explain the rules to you, but as a kid you're not really listening ... people show you so much love, you don't even think about the rules. You're just like 'Ah man, it's cool.' You take it, and next thing you know the NCAA is down your back.
” -- Ex-Ohio State WR Ray Small

Ohio State is investigating more than 50 transactions between Ohio State athletes and their families and two Columbus auto dealerships.

"They have a lot (of dirt) on everybody," Small said, "cause everybody was doing it."

Small had 61 catches for 659 yards and three touchdowns during his Ohio State career, which was marked by frequent suspensions and disciplinary acts. He spent time on the practice squads of the Indianapolis Colts, Minnesota Vikings and Washington Redskins and has now returned to Ohio State to get his degree in sociology.

Small said players went to see Edward Rife at Fine Line Ink tattoo parlor because Rife was an Ohio State fan and gave big discounts. It was the U.S. Attorney's investigation of Rife on federal drug-trafficking charges that led to Ohio State officials finding out about the improper benefits.

Small said the players would have been foolish to turn down the discounted tattoos.

"If you go in and try to get a tattoo, and somebody is like 'Do you want 50 percent off this tattoo?' You're going to say, 'Heck yeah," Small said.

Tressel continually suspended or benched Small during his playing days at Ohio State. One of the team's fastest players, he was seen as the heir apparent to Ted Ginn Jr. after the wide receiver and kick returner went to the NFL. But Small's career was marked by being in Tressel's doghouse.

"They explain the rules to you, but as a kid you're not really listening to all of them rules," Small said. "You go out and you just, people show you so much love, you don't even think about the rules. You're just like 'Ah man, it's cool.' You take it, and next thing you know the NCAA is down your back."

Another former Ohio State player interviewed by The Lantern, defensive back Malcolm Jenkins, said Ohio State told players about NCAA rules and if they were broken it was the players' fault.

Ohio State spokesman Dan Wallenberg said, "We educate as best we can and expect student-athletes and staff to follow our messaging and policies."

Former OSU basketball player Mark Titus wrote Tuesday on his blog that the perks within the football program are far from a secret.

"Any OSU student in the past five years could tell you that a lot of the football players drive nice cars," Titus wrote. "You'd have to be blind to not notice it."

Small said there was no shortage of people trying to help Ohio State athletes.

"Everywhere you go, while you're in the process of playing at Ohio State," Small said, "you're going to get a deal every which way."

Copyright 2011 by The Associated Press

Rudy
05-26-2011, 04:28 PM
For some reason I find all this OSU stuff interesting.
;)

DariusLock
05-26-2011, 04:46 PM
Ole Miss introduces 100 improvements in 100 days. (http://www.olemisssports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/052611aaa.html)

So basically we're amping up the sound system, band, concession stands, bathrooms, inside/outside of stadium, and more! Looks pretty damn good to me, considering stadium is pretty nice already. They just needed to get the mass opinion of the people to finally know what they need to do to run a football game apparently. Because seeing top 25/SEC scores maybe twice a game was ***. Now they know to keep the scores scrolling on the end of the ticker...haha.

coogrfan
05-26-2011, 07:18 PM
I stopped by Barnes & Noble at Westheimer@Voss on the way home tonight. They had the following preseason mags:

* Lindy's -- SEC, Big XII and National editions;
* Athlon's -- Big XII and National;
* TSN -- National.

:)

Rudy
05-26-2011, 08:56 PM
Dang it! I have to go to Toronto for 3 days next week due to work. I hope I can get a magazine to read before I go.

As for OSU, I was listening to AM 850 out of Cleveland (their afternoon guys are pretty good) and they were legitimately worried about further OSU sanctions. After USC got bowl games and scholarships stripped they figure some of that stuff may happen to them. It's getting stinky.

psusnoop
05-27-2011, 06:43 AM
Dang it! I have to go to Toronto for 3 days next week due to work. I hope I can get a magazine to read before I go.

As for OSU, I was listening to AM 850 out of Cleveland (their afternoon guys are pretty good) and they were legitimately worried about further OSU sanctions. After USC got bowl games and scholarships stripped they figure some of that stuff may happen to them. It's getting stinky.

Just a matter how much and how many in my eyes. This is not going to go away for OSU, and certainly isn't the kind of mark I want the Big10 to go through either.

JBHuskers
05-27-2011, 12:38 PM
:D :D :D

Ex-Ohio State Receiver Ray Small Changes Story http://is.gd/acE3Q8

souljahbill
05-27-2011, 12:52 PM
You gotta be a real asshat to dime on your school. If I were an Ohio St. football player, past or present, I'd be pissed. Even if everyone was doing wrong, you don't snitch like that. Take it to the grave.

morsdraconis
05-27-2011, 01:00 PM
All because of the "he's not a part of the sacred brotherhood" bullshit. And Ohio State players bitching on Twitter about it. :rolleyes:

These football players are hilarious I tell ya.

morsdraconis
05-27-2011, 01:02 PM
You gotta be a real asshat to dime on your school. If I were an Ohio St. football player, past or present, I'd be pissed. Even if everyone was doing wrong, you don't snitch like that. Take it to the grave.

First off, I absolutely wouldn't have done it. I don't care how "hard" it is to be a football player in school (I call TOTALLY AND ABSOLUTE BULLSHIT), you don't break the damn rules.

Secondly, if I was a football, that didn't do it mind you, I would snitch on them in a fuckin' heartbeat. Fuck them.

JBHuskers
05-27-2011, 01:19 PM
...and here is Ray Small backpedalling...

http://media.scout.com/media/forums/emoticons/145/backpedal.gif

Rudy
05-27-2011, 08:41 PM
I would snitch on them in a fuckin' heartbeat. Fuck them.

But you know me!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jWH46rYOUE

morsdraconis
05-27-2011, 11:08 PM
But you know me!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jWH46rYOUE

"I thought I did!"

:D :D :D

Best show ever.

souljahbill
05-28-2011, 07:30 AM
First off, I absolutely wouldn't have done it. I don't care how "hard" it is to be a football player in school (I call TOTALLY AND ABSOLUTE BULLSHIT), you don't break the damn rules.

Secondly, if I was a football, that didn't do it mind you, I would snitch on them in a fuckin' heartbeat. Fuck them.

If you were an honest guy on the team who did everything by the book, didn't take benefits, and "struggled," then I can understand revealing the truth.

If however, YOU were one of these people who took the benefits and did things under the table (like this Ray guy), then you shut your mouth FOREVER. You don't say a thing. Snitching after "you got yours" is lame and makes you a supreme asshat. He needs a beatdown for being dirty and being a rat after the fact.

gschwendt
05-31-2011, 10:48 AM
Posted the mockup previously but here's a work in progress of the Central Arkansas field turf
http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/249507_10150182424551580_111051716579_7446140_3578 780_n.jpg

souljahbill
05-31-2011, 02:41 PM
I'm watching College Football Live right now and it showed Pryor driving around in a 350Z. That's not the typical A-to-B car a lot of college kids have. I'm a grown man making a decent living as a teacher/athletic trainer and a 350Z is not in my price range. Pryor is out. No way he plays this upcoming season.

Side note: Matt Millen is now talking about his draft potential. LMAO! He's the last draft "expert" you ever want to talk to.

JBHuskers
05-31-2011, 02:45 PM
From what I heard, Pryor's only shot at the NFL this year is through the supplemental draft only IF it is in the new CBA. Otherwise, he can go to the UFL, or just sit out a year and prepare for the combine next year; which I think is his best bet. Get some pro training throughout this year, and get yourself ready to get drafted next year.

JBHuskers
05-31-2011, 03:33 PM
Nebraska makes it official with Cody Green leaving the program. Wasn't going to get the QB job here, he gets to sit out this year and still have two years of eligibility left.

Cody
05-31-2011, 04:13 PM
Pryor needs to go, you think he would at least show some dignity and drive a car that was his ;)

Rudy
05-31-2011, 04:19 PM
Side note: Matt Millen is now talking about his draft potential. LMAO! He's the last draft "expert" you ever want to talk to.

Amen!

NatureBoy
06-02-2011, 10:43 PM
DESTIN, Fla. -- Steve Spurrier has a plan to pay football players -- and it wouldn't cost schools or conferences a dime.

South Carolina's head ball coach offered an interesting yet far-from-feasible proposal Wednesday that would give 70 players a $300 stipend every game.

Spurrier acknowledged that the plan probably won't get very far at the Southeastern Conference's annual meetings or in the NCAA realm, but it could open the door for future dialogue on the issue of sharing millions in college football revenue with the guys who really make it happen.

Spurrier proposal for pay.

South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier dropped a new idea for paying student-athletes -- and it won't cost the universities a dime, writes Edward Aschoff. Blog

Spurrier, Alabama's Nick Saban, Florida's Will Muschamp, LSU's Les Miles, Mississippi's Houston Nutt, Mississippi State's Dan Mullen and Tennessee's Derek Dooley signed the proposal.

SEC commissioner Mike Slive called it a "generous gesture."

"The bottom line was that they support, as coaches, the concept of full cost of attendance," said Slive, referring to other proposals nationally that would require schools to pay student-athletes cost of living expenses.

Spurrier, who lost his voice two days earlier, whispered his proposal to fellow coaches Tuesday night and then told reporters about his plan a day later. There weren't a lot of details, mostly just signatures on a piece of folded-up paper with a few typewritten paragraphs.

But Spurrier had done the math. And knowing that football coaches, especially those in Bowl Championship Series conferences, are making enough to foot the bill. He said the players could use the extra cash to give to their parents for travel, lodging and meals, or they could take their girlfriends out for dinner.

"A bunch of us coaches felt so strongly about it that we would be willing to pay it -- 70 guys, 300 bucks a game," Spurrier said. "That's only $21,000 a game. I doubt it will get passed, but as coaches in the SEC, we make all the money -- as do universities, television -- and we need to get more to our players.

"We would like to make that happen. Probably won't, but we'd love to do it."

The total cost would be less than $300,000 for a coach whose team plays 14 games. But Spurrier acknowledged that not every coach in the country would be able to do the same, and there certainly would be potential Title IX implications and other hurdles.

But Spurrier had done the math. And knowing that football coaches, especially those in Bowl Championship Series conferences, are making enough to foot the bill. He said the players could use the extra cash to give to their parents for travel, lodging and meals, or they could take their girlfriends out for dinner.

"A bunch of us coaches felt so strongly about it that we would be willing to pay it -- 70 guys, 300 bucks a game," Spurrier said. "That's only $21,000 a game. I doubt it will get passed, but as coaches in the SEC, we make all the money -- as do universities, television -- and we need to get more to our players.

"We would like to make that happen. Probably won't, but we'd love to do it."

The total cost would be less than $300,000 for a coach whose team plays 14 games. But Spurrier acknowledged that not every coach in the country would be able to do the same, and there certainly would be potential Title IX implications and other hurdles.

"I just wish there was a way to give our players a piece of the pie," Spurrier said. "It's so huge right now. As you know, 50 years ago there wasn't any kind of money and the players got full scholarships. Now, they're still getting full scholarships and the money is in the millions. I don't know how to get it done. Hopefully there's a way to get our guys that play football a little piece of the pie."

Kentucky coach Joker Phillips said Spurrier's proposal was received well, but he declined to sign it without more details and discussion.

"We had a dialogue with it," Phillips said. "We talked about having a way to put money to allow the prospects to get some type of expense money. Steve brought a proposal in that opened up some dialogue. ... Just us having a dialogue was important. It wasn't a real standard deal, so I wasn't willing to put my name on anything that wasn't set in stone."

Miles signed it without hesitation, saying it's time to start discussing paying players.

"We want to start a very open dialogue about how to have some of those players who make such a great contribution on Saturdays, who are good students, good people, that are really having hardship even under full grant-in-aid situations, be able to get them some money," Miles said. "That really is the issue.

"I think Steve Spurrier makes a good point with the proposal. In the actual workings, I think it's flawed. But I'm for starting that dialogue. It opens the door."

baseballplyrmvp
06-02-2011, 10:45 PM
http://images2.cpcache.com/product/544906262v1_480x480_Front_Color-White.jpg

any takers?

awesome story in pictures about tressel as well:

http://www.prevailandride.blogspot.com/ (somewhat nsfw?)

JeffHCross
06-02-2011, 11:44 PM
But Spurrier had done the math. And knowing that football coaches, especially those in Bowl Championship Series conferences, are making enough to foot the bill. He said the players could use the extra cash to give to their parents for travel, lodging and meals, or they could take their girlfriends out for dinner.Conceptually, I love the idea. But that seems to open the door for all kinds of behind-closed-doors abuse.

And, as the article acknowledged, Title IX would have a field day with this one.

I'm a grown man making a decent living as a teacher/athletic trainer and a 350Z is not in my price range. Pryor is out. No way he plays this upcoming season.Not that I could necessarily afford to buy a car right now, but an 80,000 mile car for $11,435 (http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/sports/stories/2011/06/02/pryors-mother-bought-quarterbacks-car.html?sid=101) isn't totally outside my price range. That's actually less than the price of the car my parents bought me in college.

Pryor needs to go, you think he would at least show some dignity and drive a car that was his ;)Eh, it's his mother's. Close enough.

(And yes, I realize that you guys were posting on Tuesday, when I thought the same thing)

baseballplyrmvp
06-03-2011, 08:45 AM
using kelly blue book as a reference, i should expect to pay close to $18k for the standard 350z in my area, with 80k miles on it. i doubt there is a $6k price difference between columbus, ohio and the north seattle area.

JBHuskers
06-03-2011, 09:07 AM
Joe Schad just posted on Twitter that Joe Pa is skyping with recruits.... a/s/l?

Cody
06-03-2011, 09:13 AM
Seems like Pryor's licenses wasn't suspended after all.

psuexv
06-03-2011, 09:24 AM
Joe Schad just posted on Twitter that Joe Pa is skyping with recruits.... a/s/l?

True, Joe stepping into the 21st century. A lot of rumors floating around this is the last year.

"a/s/l" ???

JBHuskers
06-03-2011, 09:25 AM
True, Joe stepping into the 21st century. A lot of rumors floating around this is the last year.

"a/s/l" ???

:fp: you don't know what a/s/l means?

psuexv
06-03-2011, 09:27 AM
:fp: you don't know what a/s/l means?

Do know

psuexv
06-03-2011, 09:34 AM
Makes perfect sense now why you use it

used mostly in chatrooms by people who are either pedophilic stalkers or else very lonely people.

Cody
06-03-2011, 09:36 AM
I only see that used on Omegel. makes sense now.

iBrandon
06-03-2011, 10:46 AM
Nebraska makes it official with Cody Green leaving the program. Wasn't going to get the QB job here, he gets to sit out this year and still have two years of eligibility left.

Should have came to Baylor...

Cody
06-03-2011, 11:37 PM
Be a good fit, but I imagine he will want some PT right away.

baseballplyrmvp
06-04-2011, 04:32 PM
north carolina's notice of allegations is expected to come next week from the ncaa

http://northcarolina.scout.com/2/1076972.html

JeffHCross
06-05-2011, 12:48 PM
Makes perfect sense now why you use itYeah, 'cause UrbanDictionary is always a good source for a definition ;) :smh:

using kelly blue book as a reference, i should expect to pay close to $18k for the standard 350z in my area, with 80k miles on it. i doubt there is a $6k price difference between columbus, ohio and the north seattle area.Did you factor in the trade-in of the Dodge Charger?

north carolina's notice of allegations is expected to come next week from the ncaaGoodness, it's about time. Which means Ohio State won't find out the full set of allegations stemming from all the Tressel / Pryor stuff for probably a year.

ram29jackson
06-05-2011, 09:40 PM
Phil Steele and other college preview stuff is out and I cant even buy them yet dangit

iBrandon
06-06-2011, 11:48 AM
Be a good fit, but I imagine he will want some PT right away.

I meant when he was being recruited by Baylor out of High School.

JeffHCross
06-06-2011, 10:07 PM
Phil Steele and other college preview stuff is out and I cant even buy them yet dangitI already have four: Sporting News, Athlon Big Ten, Athlon National, and Phil Steele. :D

cdj
06-24-2011, 01:57 PM
And here are Notre Dame's new logo gloves:

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/fan_shot_images/201331/327322079.jpeg

SmoothPancakes
06-24-2011, 02:01 PM
And here are Notre Dame's new logo gloves:

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/fan_shot_images/201331/327322079.jpeg

Now see, those actually aren't all that bad. They each have a separate image on the gloves, that can still be brought together into one image, not like the half a image on the Nebraska gloves.

ram29jackson
06-24-2011, 02:06 PM
Now see, those actually aren't all that bad. They each have a separate image on the gloves, that can still be brought together into one image, not like the half a image on the Nebraska gloves.

but the ND's on the fingers are random and pointless, just use the mascot, put one ND in a strategic place and be done.

furthermore, its cute and all but just put the full logo on each glove

ram29jackson
06-24-2011, 02:07 PM
can anyone find the Penn State gloves?

cdj
07-07-2011, 08:29 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBnqhn47hXM

Escobar
07-07-2011, 02:00 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBnqhn47hXM

Country, still rocking a grill. :smh:

ram29jackson
07-24-2011, 08:50 PM
the Big 10 network is showing a 1974 game between Mich and Ohio State right now.

Michigan is wearing all whites too.

cjg225
07-26-2011, 10:04 AM
can anyone find the Penn State gloves?
You mean off-the-shelf, basically, Nike Vapor Jets?

baseballplyrmvp
07-26-2011, 10:00 PM
boise state cant wear all blue for home conference games

http://voices.idahostatesman.com/2011/07/26/ccripe/heres_boise_states_updated_preseason_depth_chart

*note* disregard the hawaii reference in the article. we've only worn the all greens once since we made the deal with under armour, and we got blown out. havent worn that combo since..

cdj
07-27-2011, 10:38 AM

http://voices.idahostatesman.com/2011/07/26/ccripe/heres_boise_states_updated_preseason_depth_chart

*note* disregard the hawaii reference in the article. we've only worn the all greens once since we made the deal with under armour, and we got blown out. havent worn that combo since..

Seems like sour grapes by other MWC coaches.

psusnoop
07-27-2011, 11:01 AM

Can't blame you there, I'd burn everything :D:D

It does sound like sour grapes though, someone isn't happy that is for sure :D

bdoughty
07-27-2011, 02:26 PM
Gotta be the New Mexico coach. Hard enough watching his own team play, let alone watching Boise St destroying most of it's opponents on the smurf turf.

* New Mexico travels to Boise this year. Previous years that would have been New Mexico St traveling to Boise, so I am sure they borrowed some tape due to the Boise move.

JBHuskers
07-27-2011, 03:55 PM
The Mountain West has told Boise that they cannot wear their all-blues at home because enough coaches complained about a competitive advantage.

SmoothPancakes
07-27-2011, 04:19 PM
The Mountain West has told Boise that they cannot wear their all-blues at home because enough coaches complained about a competitive advantage.

;)

souljahbill
07-27-2011, 04:29 PM

Dumb rule is dumb. Competitive advantage? How about the only team in the MWC that can hang with Boise is TCU. Should Boise not suit up Kellen Moore to make the game more "fair?" If this rule isn't in effect for green schools as well, then it's a BS rule.

AustinWolv
07-27-2011, 04:38 PM
Dumb rule is dumb. Competitive advantage? How about the only team in the MWC that can hang with Boise is TCU. Should Boise not suit up Kellen Moore to make the game more "fair?" If this rule isn't in effect for green schools as well, then it's a BS rule.

Nice point.

Plus I didn't realize Boise's uniforms had yardage lines and hash marks that match up with the field wherever they are. ;)

Weird ruling.

Rudy
07-27-2011, 05:27 PM
I'm happy with that ruling. They can be tough to watch on TV sometimes when it's all blue on blue. I do know I heard a coach say it takes a lot longer to review coaching tape for the same reason. It comes across as petty but it is what it is.

Kingpin32
07-27-2011, 05:52 PM
Butch Davis just got fired.

JBHuskers
07-27-2011, 06:01 PM
Butch Davis just got fired.

Saw that coming since there was a "board of trustees" meeting today.

Kingpin32
07-27-2011, 06:02 PM
Saw that coming since there was a "board of trustees" meeting today.

Yeah, good coach but just horrible management of his players. It was bound to happen.

bdoughty
07-27-2011, 06:06 PM
Well at least they have their basketball team.

cdj
07-28-2011, 12:31 PM
The top HS QB recruit in the country has given a verbal commit to Indiana. (http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/Top-QB-recruit-pulls-major-upset-picks-Indiana?urn=ncaaf-wp4254)

cdj
07-28-2011, 12:33 PM
New uniforms for Oklahoma State. (http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/Oklahoma-State-8217-s-postmodern-makeover-is-bl?urn=ncaaf-wp4271)

gschwendt
07-28-2011, 01:02 PM
New uniforms for Oklahoma State. (http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/Oklahoma-State-8217-s-postmodern-makeover-is-bl?urn=ncaaf-wp4271)
I think I like those, especially how they incorporated the stripes on a modern look of a uniform.

bdoughty
07-28-2011, 01:36 PM
A little better picture set of the Okie State unis (loads really slow) (http://www.pistolsfiringblog.com/the-new-uniforms)

Guess they really are the Oregon of the South when it comes to unis now. Fugly is one term that comes to mind.

Nike should be banned from making uniforms. :fp:

bdoughty
07-28-2011, 01:48 PM
Talk about a scare. Browsing the headlines and I see.

Sooners admit major violations, seek probation

Fortunately it was just our basketball team.

SmoothPancakes
07-28-2011, 01:50 PM

Talk about a scare. Browsing the headlines and I see.

Sooners admit major violations, seek probation

Fortunately it was just our basketball team.

:D Yeah, I saw that earlier on ESPN and was going to make a post on here about it. Until I actually read the story and saw it was about the basketball team.

Paakaa10
07-28-2011, 09:33 PM

If more college teams would do what Oklahoma State has done with this Uniform Combo Creator (http://www.okstate.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/uniform-creator.html), it would be a hell of a lot easier to track and correct uniforms in the NCAA Football games.

JBHuskers
07-29-2011, 10:21 AM
From the Big 10 Media Days....

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/205986_1455392640270_1696966432_701888_6954310_n.j pg

plotty
07-29-2011, 02:28 PM
The Iowa-Nebraska game has been dubbed the "Heroes Game". 1) if you are naming this matchup, why didn't you do it before Nebraska joined the Big 10? and 2)explain the meaning of "Heroes" in this game? I understand the Nike Kinnick connection...but the full explanantion....wow. :fp:

baseballplyrmvp
07-29-2011, 09:16 PM
we may soon be hearing about auburn. :whistle: about damn time too

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/783907-auburn-football-according-to-danny-sheridan-the-axe-is-soon-to-fall-on-auburn

bdoughty
07-29-2011, 09:48 PM
explain the meaning of "Heroes" in this game?

Legends/Leaders/Heroes ------ Sounds like one Of Jim Delaney's kids is a big ol D&D fan. :D

Now for the real meaning of the Heroes game

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/29799/nebraska-iowa-to-play-heroes-game

The schools are taking this "Heroes" tag seriously. They plan to recognize one Iowa citizen and one Nebraskan for an extraordinary act prior to each year's game. Friends, neighbors or co-workers can nominate people for the heroes distinction, and those chosen will be honored on the field during the game and will have their name and hometown etched on the Heroes Game trophy. The schools also plan to use proceeds from the game to benefit the Iowa and Nebraska chapters of the American Red Cross.

cjg225
07-31-2011, 02:51 PM
The top HS QB recruit in the country has given a verbal commit to Indiana. (http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/blog/dr_saturday/post/Top-QB-recruit-pulls-major-upset-picks-Indiana?urn=ncaaf-wp4254)
Good for the Hoosiers. But they need to fix their defense first and foremost.

Still, it'll be interesting to see what Kiel can do. Pretty cool to see a 5* kid pick a school because his brother goes there, it's close to home, and he can turn the program around.

jaymo76
08-02-2011, 12:21 AM
Good for the Hoosiers. But they need to fix their defense first and foremost.

Still, it'll be interesting to see what Kiel can do. Pretty cool to see a 5* kid pick a school because his brother goes there, it's close to home, and he can turn the program around.

Good to see a big time recruit go to a non-traditional "super power."

cdj
08-03-2011, 03:36 PM
The Humanitarian Bowl is no more.

Welcome in the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl (http://www.famousidahopotatobowl.com/)!

SmoothPancakes
08-03-2011, 03:38 PM
:fp:

What is it with these stupid as hell bowl names?

JBHuskers
08-03-2011, 03:43 PM

Welcome in the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl (http://www.famousidahopotatobowl.com/)!

I actually like that title better :D

psuexv
08-03-2011, 03:50 PM

What is it with these stupid as hell bowl names?

Agreed, the hell with Humanitarians

cdj
08-03-2011, 03:51 PM

I actually do too. It represents a sector of the economy that is pivotal for Idaho. The logo is pretty memorable and funny to boot.

SmoothPancakes
08-03-2011, 03:53 PM
Agreed, the hell with Humanitarians

:D Hey, I'm glad Humanitarian is gone, that name was just as stupid, but Famous Idaho Potato Bowl? :fp:

What happened to the good old days when bowls had great names and they were presented by whichever sponsor, not the "Sponsor name here" Bowl?

JBHuskers
08-03-2011, 03:58 PM
Anything beats Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl....

That should be changed to the Kraft Cheese & Macaroni Bowl :nod:

cjg225
08-03-2011, 04:22 PM
Yeah, that name is actually better than the Humanitarian Bowl. I mean, you have to be a Humanitarian to want to go to Idaho in December, so it fit, but this title is better.

Paakaa10
08-05-2011, 09:52 PM

Epic logo is epic!

JBHuskers
08-08-2011, 03:06 PM
If Nebraska was in the Big 10 in 1996... (http://www.bigtennetwork.com/generic/sports/football/1996-Big-Ten-Legends-Leaders)

steelerfan
08-08-2011, 03:43 PM
I actually do too. It represents a sector of the economy that is pivotal for Idaho. The logo is pretty memorable and funny to boot.

Jeez, hard to believe you'd stick up for potato farmers. ;) :whistle:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

steelerfan
08-08-2011, 03:45 PM
As for the "Heroes" BS, it says "co-workers".

Maybe JB has a young lady he works with who is a "hero"?

JBHuskers
08-08-2011, 04:01 PM
Jeez, hard to believe you'd stick up for potato farmers. ;) :whistle:

On the farm....

cjg225
08-08-2011, 04:13 PM
If Nebraska was in the Big 10 in 1996... (http://www.bigtennetwork.com/generic/sports/football/1996-Big-Ten-Legends-Leaders)
Yeah, I pretty much never say this, but we would not have lost to Iowa if we played them again. That was one of the biggest flukes I've ever seen in my 23 years of watching Penn State.

Interesting concept, but not exactly the most well done simulation, just looking at the results.

JBHuskers
08-08-2011, 04:21 PM
Yeah, I pretty much never say this, but we would not have lost to Iowa if we played them again. That was one of the biggest flukes I've ever seen in my 23 years of watching Penn State.

Interesting concept, but not exactly the most well done simulation, just looking at the results.

Curious to see how the other years sim out...especially the Bill Callahan days :D

JeffHCross
08-08-2011, 07:35 PM
If Nebraska was in the Big 10 in 1996... (http://www.bigtennetwork.com/generic/sports/football/1996-Big-Ten-Legends-Leaders)Sounds about right.

The Buckeyes' Stanley Jackson was good for 190 yards during the game, completing 15 of 25 passes. He threw one touchdown and no interceptions.Yeah....except for that.

AustinWolv
08-08-2011, 09:13 PM
Yeah....except for that.
LOL, stated concisely, well done.

JeffHCross
08-08-2011, 09:35 PM
LOL, stated concisely, well done.What can I say ... never personally been a Stanley Jackson fan. He did well, but I was very happy when Germaine got his opportunities.

cjg225
08-09-2011, 11:08 AM
If Nebraska was in the Big 10 in 1997... (http://www.bigtennetwork.com/generic/sports/football/1997-Big-Ten-Legends-Leaders)

My God. Seriously?

I understand it's not a re-run of 1997, per se, but this is ridiculous. Penn State getting blown out by a 1997 Ohio State team that Penn State actually beat?

Barely beating a Purdue team that we actually trampled in West Lafeyette?

Curtis Enis getting barely 70 yards against Northwestern, a number he probably before halftime in that game?

AustinWolv
08-09-2011, 11:28 AM
Yeah, don't put much stock in it. There was the site where you could sim any team against any team, and I sat there and ran the same teams multiple times and the results were pretty different every time, ranging from close games to blow-outs with each team being the winner over that range. It was kinda like, "Look, this sim is pretty accurate.....because pretty much every scenario is covered....."

JeffHCross
08-09-2011, 07:40 PM
Considering that one of the sim results is Ohio State 51, Illinois 4 ...

DariusLock
08-10-2011, 05:20 PM
Ole Miss announced an 150$ Mill. fundraiser for athletics. Going to build a new basketball arena(by 2015) and renovate Vaught-Hemingway Stadium. Then in phase two bowl in the NEZ to match the SEZ, adding a plaza that will look out to "The Grove". Once this is completed I think we will have the nicest looking facilities in the SEC.

http://forwardtogetherrebels.com/site#virtual-tour

Virtual tour...looks good.

cdj
08-19-2011, 09:34 AM
SMU with a fancy new locker room (http://www.lostlettermen.com/8-18-2011-smu-locker-room/)....but as KegsnEggs said on twitter, it looks like a strip club.

psusnoop
08-19-2011, 09:48 AM
SMU with a fancy new locker room (http://www.lostlettermen.com/8-18-2011-smu-locker-room/)....but as KegsnEggs said on twitter, it looks like a strip club.

JB, seeing how you "may" have the most experience in this department could you tell us your opinion of said strip club...I mean Locker Room?

It's a Strip club, now bring out the Girls!!!

baseballplyrmvp
08-19-2011, 10:39 PM
courtesy of a :USC: message board poster....

http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/9445/newsign.gif

:D

JeffHCross
08-20-2011, 06:32 PM
Darn, they couldn't fit UCF and Georgia Tech in there too somehow.

Also notice that USC is conspicuously missing ...

But :D nonetheless.

SmoothPancakes
08-20-2011, 06:34 PM
Darn, they couldn't fit UCF and Georgia Tech in there too somehow.

Also notice that USC is conspicuously missing ...

But :D nonetheless.

That was the very first thing I noticed. USC missing. :D

baseballplyrmvp
08-20-2011, 07:13 PM
we all know that the ncaa way over-sanctioned USC. if there was any kind of consistancy in the ncaa at all, every team who has had a big story about them come out this offseason, would receive penalties worse than what USC got.

JeffHCross
08-21-2011, 07:52 AM
Well, if "we all know" that USC was over-punished, then we also "all know" that there's no consistency in the NCAA's rulings -- ever.

AustinWolv
08-22-2011, 02:56 PM
Well, if "we all know" that USC was over-punished, then we also "all know" that there's no consistency in the NCAA's rulings -- ever.
That much we all know for sure. And sadly, the NCAA kind of boasts about it as official policy since 'no case is the same' and 'is evaluated by itself'.

cdj
08-31-2011, 07:44 AM
Meet Kansas State's newest mascot, EcoKat (http://www.k-state.edu/ecokat/index.html). :fp:

HWill
08-31-2011, 09:59 AM
Meet Kansas State's newest mascot, EcoKat (http://www.k-state.edu/ecokat/index.html). :fp:

:smh:

morsdraconis
08-31-2011, 10:25 AM
Wow. That is the gayest thing I've ever seen. I would transfer from K-State immediately.

souljahbill
08-31-2011, 11:57 AM

LMAO!

bdoughty
08-31-2011, 03:06 PM
The saddest part is they even AlGorized their real mascot.

Willie the Wildcat

You may recognize Willie as the faithful warrior on the sidelines of every K-State sporting event, but he's taking his talents even further. Joining EcoKat as an EcoEnforcer, Willie is working hard to keep his favorite place on earth beautiful and sustainable. When not perfecting his raise-the-roof techniques and sculpting his arm muscles, Willie enjoys recycling, hunting Jayhawk and watching Planet Earth.

Worthy if two :fp::fp:

JeffHCross
08-31-2011, 09:03 PM
EcoKat, played by a K-State student who auditioned for the role, is outfitted in a costume made of 90 percent repurposed materials. The department of apparel, textiles and interior design helped with the final look, making it an entirely sustainable project partnering many campus groups.

The EcoKat video idea was born from a serious call to action that morphed into a more humorous, tough-love take on environmentalism.

EcoKat is not affiliated with K-State athletics"This mascot is so bad, we won't even be associated with it".

JBHuskers
09-06-2011, 12:29 PM
FOX Sports only interviews Asians at USC about Colorado and Utah joining the Pac-12 (http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/81813242/) :fp:

ram29jackson
09-06-2011, 03:05 PM
FOX Sports only interviews Asians at USC about Colorado and Utah joining the Pac-12 (http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/81813242/) :fp:

:P:D if you lived out here, you would realize thats the majority of students that go there in the first place..obviously nobody who knows football would admit to following USC now anyway when you are a busted loser :D there is a reason you find a truck load of USC t shirts at wal marts, Targets, and K marts, for real cheap now :D

baseballplyrmvp
09-06-2011, 10:41 PM
looks like texas a&m finally gets their sec invite

http://tamu.scout.com/2/1103665.html

morsdraconis
09-06-2011, 10:45 PM

Texas A&M? Really?

The :SEC: is really THAT hellbent on a 16 team conference?

SmoothPancakes
09-06-2011, 11:07 PM
What are your thoughts mors on WVU being one of the teams sources say Mike Slive is being given authority to negotiate with?

And things could get interesting if the Big Ten ever seriously considered Missouri. We could have a fight between the Big Ten and SEC for Missouri if they both seriously want/wanted them.

bdoughty
09-06-2011, 11:42 PM
What are your thoughts mors on WVU being one of the teams sources say Mike Slive is being given authority to negotiate with?

And things could get interesting if the Big Ten ever seriously considered Missouri. We could have a fight between the Big Ten and SEC for Missouri if they both seriously want/wanted them.

Missouri is an interesting school. They are wanted less for their athletic prowess and more for their proximity smack dab between the St Louis and Kansas City markets. That is what the SEC is looking at, just like they wanted the South Texas market.

Big advantage for Missou over WV in this one. Of course they could go crazy and try for the 16 team conference that they probably think the PAC 12 is going for.

morsdraconis
09-07-2011, 12:35 AM

I would be very surprised if the SEC came knocking on WVU's door, but it does kinda make sense. While we lack the academic qualities and prime recruiting grounds, we certainly don't lack the enthusiasm from the fans, the traveling capabilities of our fanbase, and the abilities to be great that the SEC would want. WVU also brings BIG TIME Basketball prowess to the table for the SEC, that's desperately trying to be relevant again when compared to the Big East and ACC.

Missouri definitely has the leg up on the prime tv/recruiting area, but they severely lack any other real shining aspects beyond that.

Truthfully, if they take Missouri, it's a definitely indication that they care more about the money they could possibly get and less about the athletic prowess of the team they are bringing in (which is already pretty obvious with them bringing in Texas A&M - who hasn't been relevant in 80 years or some shit).

SmoothPancakes
09-07-2011, 08:49 AM

Baylor knows they are FUCKED if A&M leaves and the dominoes fall again! Baylor is considering legal action over A&M's possible move to the SEC, which it's being reported that A&M has unanimously been accepted into the SEC as member #13.

baseballplyrmvp
09-07-2011, 09:12 AM

Baylor knows they are FUCKED if A&M leaves and the dominoes fall again! Baylor is considering legal action over A&M's possible move to the SEC, which it's being reported that A&M has unanimously been accepted into the SEC as member #13.

:nod:

JBHuskers
09-07-2011, 11:46 AM
Sounds like Baylor has withdrawn consideration for a lawsuit.

gschwendt
09-07-2011, 02:07 PM
So people were complaining about the ability to have a spread no-huddle offense combined with a wishbone in custom playbooks. Funny enough, Arkansas State is at least considering that possibility this weekend against Memphis. Will be interesting to see... we definitely have the runningback personnel for it.

JBHuskers
09-07-2011, 02:42 PM
Sounds like Baylor has withdrawn consideration for a lawsuit.

...and now maybe not. (http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/6939017/texas-aggies-accepted-sec-legal-threat-delays-move)

ram29jackson
09-07-2011, 04:13 PM
the big twelve will evaporate soon enough

JBHuskers
09-07-2011, 04:17 PM
...and now maybe not. (http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/6939017/texas-aggies-accepted-sec-legal-threat-delays-move)

Sounds like Iowa State has joined the bitter table for two party.

Rudy
09-07-2011, 04:19 PM
I can't see why that region can't support their own conference. Why doesn't the Big 12 go hard at TCU if the Aggies leave? All of this moving around is driven by football money. Boise St should be considered as well. Adding teams like Houston or SMU are far less appealing imo.

souljahbill
09-07-2011, 06:29 PM
Southern Miss will GLADLY move into the new Big 12 once A&M/OK/OK St./TX/TX Tech all leave.

Rudy
09-07-2011, 07:01 PM
It's time to get rid of the numbers and just go Big South or something.

JeffHCross
09-07-2011, 08:20 PM
The :SEC: is really THAT hellbent on a 16 team conference?When you have a school like Texas A&M who is absolutely wanting to come join you ... it's hard to pass up. A&M gives them a lot of in-roads to Texas. Are they hell bent on 16? Maybe not. But they're hell bent on money. All of them are.

I can't see why that region can't support their own conference. Why doesn't the Big 12 go hard at TCU if the Aggies leave?The running theory is that TCU simply doesn't add anything beyond being a 10th team. No new markets, really no additional eyeballs to the TV, etc.

It's time to get rid of the numbers and just go Big South or something.Agreed. Same for the Pac-12 and the Big Ten.

SmoothPancakes
09-07-2011, 08:34 PM
Sounds like Iowa State has joined the bitter table for two party.

Yeah, I forgot about Iowa State too. Baylor and Iowa State realize their free money parties for being in the Big 12 are coming to an end slowly but surely. Everyone wants Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Missouri, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State. The MWC and Big East are going to be battling for Kansas, Kansas State, and Missouri. Baylor and Iowa State? :D No one wants them. It'll be MWC or C-USA for them in the end most likely. And in the end, either way, they'll end up with nowhere near the kind of money they're getting just handed to them right now to get smacked around by the rest of the Big 12.

JeffHCross
09-07-2011, 09:12 PM
The MWC and Big East are going to be battling for Kansas, Kansas State, and Missouri. Baylor and Iowa State? :D No one wants them.Big East would gladly take Kansas and K-State for basketball.

SmoothPancakes
09-07-2011, 09:19 PM
Big East would gladly take Kansas and K-State for basketball.

Yeah, there's been no secret about that. I've heard that the Big East would try and go after Kansas, Kansas State, and Missouri if the Big 12 collapses. It'd bring them up to 12 teams in football and 20 in basketball, which along with a bunch of a good basketball teams they have in the Big East already, adding Kansas, and good teams in K-State and Missouri, that'd be a hell of a conference in basketball.

morsdraconis
09-07-2011, 09:33 PM
Yeah, I just don't see the Big East being able to handle that many teams in basketball. It's incredibly unwieldy already (to the point that all the good teams just beat the hell out of each other), adding 3 more to the table just makes it that much worse. A 20 team conference is just ridiculous.

In the end, I foresee something happening that causes a loss of members for the Big East and thus the football side of things either dissolves or becomes a C-USA clone of so-so teams and terrible teams with the big players (WVU and Pittsburgh) moving onto greener pastures.

baseballplyrmvp
09-07-2011, 10:52 PM
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news;_ylt=AqXsDd0ScnaTpzkb_XBm5FIcvrYF?slug=dw-wetzel_college_football_realignment_greed090711

baylor just being a crybaby.

SmoothPancakes
09-07-2011, 11:12 PM
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news;_ylt=AqXsDd0ScnaTpzkb_XBm5FIcvrYF?slug=dw-wetzel_college_football_realignment_greed090711

baylor just being a crybaby.

Exactly. They realize the teat of money from being in a BCS conference, bowl money, tv contract money, etc, is running dry and they're about to be left twisting in the wind. Regardless of if they join the MWC and it becomes a BCS conference down the road, they'll never see the kind of money they get/got from the Big 12 between all the bowls and money that brings in, and the big TV contracts that Big 12 has. Their money teat is drying up, and they are scared as hell.

Personally, I have no sympathy whatsoever. They had absolutely no problems saying to hell with Houston, Rice, SMU, and TCU to leave the Southwest Conference and join the newly formed Big 12. Well, karma's a bitch. Now it's their turn to watch things collapse, and get left jerking themselves while everyone else goes off to greener pastures.

cdj
09-08-2011, 07:39 AM
This morning the latest report is that only Oklahoma is waiving their right to sue A&M, meaning the other eight schools are now standing together. However, those eight schools will let A&M leave if Oklahoma promises to stay in the conference.

SmoothPancakes
09-08-2011, 07:46 AM
This morning the latest report is that only Oklahoma is waiving their right to sue A&M, meaning the other eight schools are now standing together. However, those eight schools will let A&M leave if Oklahoma promises to stay in the conference.

Yeah, that's what I read overnight. Oklahoma is waiving their right and have no problem with A&M leaving. The other schools apparently were alright with them leaving, or at least weren't publicly opposed, until Baylor started threatening lawsuit, and then everyone else besides Oklahoma jumped into Baylor's corner. It's hilarious though. This the Texas 10 Conference, and it's not Texas, nor is it 2nd top dog Oklahoma who is sitting there shouting and threatening lawsuit and screwing everything up for A&M. It's pipsqueak, (no one gives a damn about), Baylor. :D

steelerfan
09-08-2011, 08:41 AM
You might be surprised at how much pull Baylor has. Beside having bottomless pockets, they have a lot of political minions.

baseballplyrmvp
09-08-2011, 09:28 AM
You might be surprised at how much pull Baylor has. Beside having bottomless pockets, they have a lot of political minions.

true....their president is kenneth starr, the judge who ruled on the clinton-lewinsky ordeal. but their time of riding the coat tails of texas and oklahoma are over. they need to nut up and just accept it that they'll no longer get free money for having a crappy football team.

AustinWolv
09-08-2011, 09:30 AM
true....their president is kenneth starr, the judge who ruled on the clinton-lewinsky ordeal. but their time of riding the coat tails of texas and oklahoma are over. they need to nut up and just accept it that they'll no longer get free money for having a crappy football team.

Their crappy football team has been beating some people lately and used to be a powerhouse just 20-some years ago.

DariusLock
09-08-2011, 02:44 PM
I think Baylor will have a good year on the field this year, we will see how they do off haha.

ram29jackson
09-08-2011, 04:10 PM
lets get back to match ups. No one really cares about Baylor and where they go or dont go..the only thing that interests me is they won last week and appear to have one heck of a QB

bdoughty
09-08-2011, 05:24 PM
Their crappy football team has been beating some people lately and used to be a powerhouse just 20-some years ago.

Baylor? Powerhouse? 20 years ago? They had a few good years when Mike Singeltary was there but they were never a powerhohuse. They were in the SWC since it's inception and only won 5 championships.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Southwest_Conference_champions#Football

That out of the way it looks like BYU wants in but only if OU stays.

http://www.newson6.com/story/15419503/report-byu-to-join-big-12-if-ou-remains-in-conference

JBHuskers
09-08-2011, 05:40 PM
Sounds like Baylor and Iowa State will nor have any kind of legal ground to stand on unless they can prove that the SEC initiated contact first.

ram29jackson
09-08-2011, 06:19 PM
BYU needs to make up their minds

DariusLock
09-08-2011, 06:32 PM
If I was BYU I would stay Indy, no sense in going to a crumbling Big 9.

JeffHCross
09-08-2011, 08:42 PM
This morning the latest report is that only Oklahoma is waiving their right to sue A&MBecause they know they're leaving soon too, and don't want to screw themselves by setting precedence. They're watching out :)

baseballplyrmvp
09-08-2011, 09:25 PM
t. boone pickens talking right now in the arizona/okie state game, and he says that ok state will not pursue litigation against a&m.....and that ou and okie state are a package deal (which we already know).

SmoothPancakes
09-08-2011, 10:52 PM
According to ESPN, Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma State have all agreed to waive their right to sue. Basically it's the freeloaders in Baylor, Kansas, and Iowa State who are refusing to give up their right because their free money trains are coming to the end of the tracks.

Sure, Baylor has had one or two good years recently, they've had some big upsets. Kansas has had a couple good years, etc. Regardless, as opposed to the power teams in the Big 12, Baylor, Kansas and Iowa State are just freeloading money grabbers. They realize their bottomless pot of gold is slowly coming to an end and they are scared shitless. That's all. Nothing more, nothing less. They just want to keep getting their free handouts of money from the Big 12 powerhouses.

JBHuskers
09-08-2011, 11:07 PM
Like I said earlier they have no ground to stand on unless they can prove the SEC initiated talks.

baseballplyrmvp
09-09-2011, 08:55 AM
just saw on espn's ticker that the big east is attempting to reach out to missouri, kansas, kansas state, baylor and possibly iowa state to get them to join their conference should the big 12 fall apart. the pieces are beginning to fall into place now.

JBHuskers
09-09-2011, 09:25 AM
just saw on espn's ticker that the big east is attempting to reach out to missouri, kansas, kansas state, baylor and possibly iowa state to get them to join their conference should the big 12 fall apart. the pieces are beginning to fall into place now.

Very smart move. That would just make an insane basketball conference even better.

AustinWolv
09-09-2011, 10:42 AM
Baylor? Powerhouse? 20 years ago? They had a few good years when Mike Singeltary was there but they were never a powerhohuse. They were in the SWC since it's inception and only won 5 championships.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Southwest_Conference_champions#Football
Fair enough, conceded they weren't a powerhouse. Wrong characterization. They did have some really good teams though.

morsdraconis
09-09-2011, 11:30 AM

Damn it WVU. Just leave the retarded Big East already. :fp:

bdoughty
09-10-2011, 05:22 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/6949738/pac-12-commissioner-larry-scott-expanding-pac-12

It's a damn soap opera.

ram29jackson
09-10-2011, 05:32 PM

Damn it WVU. Just leave the retarded Big East already. :fp:

if they do, theyll never dominate again LOL

SmoothPancakes
09-11-2011, 02:10 AM
Ok, I know the WAC is desperate for football teams right now before they disappear completely as a conference. But my God, they seriously went reaching for anyone they could when they added UT-San Antonio. UTSA just lost today 24-21 to Division III McMurry. The same McMurry who lost 82-6 just the week before to Stephen F. Austin. There is no way in hell UTSA is ever going to win a game in the WAC.

JBHuskers
09-11-2011, 02:33 AM
Ok, I know the WAC is desperate for football teams right now before they disappear completely as a conference. But my God, they seriously went reaching for anyone they could when they added UT-San Antonio. UTSA just lost today 24-21 to Division III McMurry. The same McMurry who lost 82-6 just the week before to Stephen F. Austin. There is no way in hell UTSA is ever going to win a game in the WAC.

At least they will be a challenge to play with in. NCAA 13 :D

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

SmoothPancakes
09-11-2011, 02:57 AM
At least they will be a challenge to play with in. NCAA 13 :D

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

:D Yeah, poor Akron is about to lose their claim to being the lowest rated team every year in NCAA.

bdoughty
09-11-2011, 04:03 PM

I almost played at McMurry. :P

To make the story even more embarrassing, they lost at home.

and

The War Hawks’ win over UT-San Antonio marks the first time an NCAA Division III school has defeated an NCAA Division I scholarship program since Rowan did against Albany in 2000.

That said they do have a former Hurricane coach at the helm and by gosh next year some national exposure. (http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/longhorn-network-picks-up-5-utsa-football-games/2011/09/08/gIQADhR0CK_story.html)

JeffHCross
09-11-2011, 05:34 PM
Ok, I know the WAC is desperate for football teams right now before they disappear completely as a conference. But my God, they seriously went reaching for anyone they could when they added UT-San Antonio. Well, anytime you add a school to a football conference that doesn't have a football team at the time, it's probably not going to go well.

baseballplyrmvp
09-11-2011, 06:28 PM
:D Yeah, poor Akron is about to lose their claim to being the lowest rated team every year in NCAA.

ya, now watch that all of the players on those teams be rated at about 70 ovr. :fp:

gschwendt
09-12-2011, 11:53 AM
ULM's intro video... really cool or really cheesey?
http://www.ulmwarhawks.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?catid=29512&id=797699

SmoothPancakes
09-12-2011, 12:20 PM
To me, sort of stupid.

psusnoop
09-12-2011, 12:23 PM

Chessey to me, that music and some intense highlights would be way way much better.

psuexv
09-12-2011, 12:30 PM
To me, sort of stupid.

Chessey to me, that music and some intense highlights would be way way much better.

Agreed - I'm a highlight intro sort of guy.

gschwendt
09-12-2011, 03:51 PM
They need to update the Auburn team entrance in NCAA...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgF6UJ5UgUs&feature=player_embedded

psuexv
09-12-2011, 03:53 PM
I was waiting for it to snatch up a kid in the stands.... lol

bdoughty
09-12-2011, 03:53 PM
A giant waste of the schools money.

Texas Tech has a really bad one this year too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWV2vMXQJMA

bdoughty
09-12-2011, 04:05 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/6962293/report-texas-longhorns-oklahoma-sooners-officials-meet

Texas and OU meet. I find it interesting that no other schools were invited to the meeting.

JBHuskers
09-12-2011, 04:13 PM
They need to update the Auburn team entrance in NCAA...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgF6UJ5UgUs&feature=player_embedded

:D someone must have fed the Eagle some Jack before taking flight.

AustinWolv
09-12-2011, 04:25 PM
I was waiting for it to snatch up a kid in the stands.... lol

That would have great.

bdoughty
09-13-2011, 03:54 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/6966240/ncaa-hands-boise-state-broncos-three-years-probation-scholarship-reduction

Boise gets a slap on the wrist.

ram29jackson
09-13-2011, 07:44 PM

really kind of pointless and non directional

JeffHCross
09-13-2011, 10:15 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/6966240/ncaa-hands-boise-state-broncos-three-years-probation-scholarship-reduction

Boise gets a slap on the wrist.Well, Boise football gets a slap on the wrist. Boise tennis (and more specifically the coach) gets a kick in the rear. Otherwise, the punishment really makes no sense.

My personal favorite part of the official penalties list (http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/ncaa/NCAA/Media+and+Events/Press+Room/Embargoed/20110913+Boise+State+COI+Rls?id=36d8ce0048518877a2 abbbbf5e8bc9cc&WCM_Page.ResetAll=TRUE&CACHE=NONE&CONTENTCACHE=NONE&CONNECTORCACHE=NONE&SRV=Page): "Public reprimand and censure." :smh: Wtf.

SmoothPancakes
09-15-2011, 05:25 PM
Hello to the Pac-16? (http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/6974572/oklahoma-sooners-regents-meet-big-12-conference-affiliation-monday)

CLAREMORE, Okla. -- University of Oklahoma officials are scheduled to discuss its Big 12 affiliation on Monday.

The school's board of regents has posted the agenda for Monday's meeting. It's a single paragraph that says the board will consider switching conference affiliation, and any legal ramifications of such a move.

The agenda says the regents may discuss the topic behind closed doors and "take any appropriate action."

University president David Boren said earlier this month that Oklahoma had been in contact with multiple conferences and expected a decision within a three-week timeframe that would run out next week.

The Big 12 lost Nebraska (Big Ten) and Colorado (Pac-12) in July, leaving it with 10 members.

Deuce
09-15-2011, 05:35 PM
As an OU fan I wish they would stay in the Big 12 but doesn't look like that's going to happen. Schools are pissed off by the longhorn network. I DO NOT want to lose the OU/Texas game. That'll suck.

SmoothPancakes
09-15-2011, 05:45 PM
As an OU fan I wish they would stay in the Big 12 but doesn't look like that's going to happen. Schools are pissed off by the longhorn network. I DO NOT want to lose the OU/Texas game. That'll suck.

Odds are you wouldn't have to worry about it. If Oklahoma goes to the Pac-12, Oklahoma State is automatically going with them, and odds are easily more than likely that Texas and Texas Tech will be going as well. Now if Oklahoma were to decide to go to the SEC, then goodbye to the OU/Texas game, as it's be Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, and whatever other team (probably Missouri).

Deuce
09-15-2011, 05:53 PM
I've read that the problem with Texas moving to the PAC 12 is the longhorn network vs the PAC 12 tv network. Who knows?? I guess we'll find out soon enough.

SmoothPancakes
09-15-2011, 06:31 PM
Well, they're going to have that problem pretty much no matter where they move, unless they say screw it and go Indy.

baseballplyrmvp
09-15-2011, 09:44 PM
when texas and ou officials met earlier in the week, texas said they wanted to stay in the big 12 whereas ou told texas that they wanted to move to the pac 12. ou also said that oklahoma state and texas tech favor that move as well, rather than staying in the big12.

baseballplyrmvp
09-16-2011, 11:09 PM
interesting.....pitt and syracuse talking to the ACC

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/6980076/big-east-members-syracuse-pitt-talks-atlantic-coast-conference

morsdraconis
09-16-2011, 11:12 PM
interesting.....pitt and syracuse talking to the ACC

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/6980076/big-east-members-syracuse-pitt-talks-atlantic-coast-conference

Pitt basically means WVU is coming too. I highly doubt it otherwise.

steelerfan
09-17-2011, 10:54 AM
Per ESPN, Pitt and Syracuse have applied to join the ACC.

JeffHCross
09-17-2011, 11:15 AM
Pitt basically means WVU is coming too. I highly doubt it otherwise.I would have a little more doubt. Rivalries are getting thrown out the window when $$$$ is involved. And Pitt/Syracuse have $$$$ reasons for the ACC. WVU doesn't.

Anybody else hear what sounds like a cell phone ringtone in the background of the NFL on Fox broadcasts? It's just a series of electronic tones, not music, lasting a second or so ... but then it happens again, and again, and again. I also noticed it last night during the NASCAR on Fox broadcast. Haven't noticed it during anything else.

I've started noticing the tones of apps like TweetDeck in the background during radio broadcasts recently, so I'm wondering if maybe that's basically what's happening here.I posted ^^^^^ last week in the NFL thread. Now I'm hearing it during the ESPN ABC Auburn/Clemson broadcast. What the hell is that?!?!

morsdraconis
09-17-2011, 12:49 PM
I would have a little more doubt. Rivalries are getting thrown out the window when $$$$ is involved. And Pitt/Syracuse have $$$$ reasons for the ACC. WVU doesn't.

The ACC would be crazy not to take WVU. All they're getting with Pitt and Syracuse is two more fanbases that don't travel at all. They already have like 8 schools with that problem.

JeffHCross
09-17-2011, 02:28 PM
The ACC would be crazy not to take WVU. All they're getting with Pitt and Syracuse is two more fanbases that don't travel at all.Television sets. No one really cares about fan bases and traveling in this discussion.

@ChipBrownOB
Big 12 administrator tells Orangebloods.com Syracuse and Pitt will be announced as 13th and 14th members of the #ACC on Sunday.

SmoothPancakes
09-17-2011, 02:39 PM
So long Big East. :D SEC and Pac-12 gonna raid the Big 12. ACC and Big Ten gonna raid the Big East. At least people could possibly get their wish of a 4 team playoff. 4 16-team super conferences, it could happen.

baseballplyrmvp
09-17-2011, 04:44 PM
So long Big East. :D SEC and Pac-12 gonna raid the Big 12. ACC and Big Ten gonna raid the Big East. At least people could possibly get their wish of a 4 team playoff. 4 16-team super conferences, it could happen.

lol @ tcu now. :D think they'll ask to rejoin the mountain west?

morsdraconis
09-17-2011, 09:18 PM
So long Big East.

God I hope so. The conference, as a football conference, is a fuckin' joke. Feel bad for TCU though.

OptionMasta
09-17-2011, 09:29 PM
I'm really excited to join the ACC. It's really nerve-racking when you don't know if you're going to be one of the schools left out of the realignment shuffle and the Big East was easy pickins' for the other conferences for quite some time now. Post-raid they have done OK (sans last season) on the field but unfortunately in this day and age that's just not enough to survive. You've got to have good leadership and the Big East is really lacking there.

WVU is going to land somewhere. I'm going to be a little saddened if they don't come along to the ACC but if they get into the SEC their fans will obviously jump for joy. They're a good fit for that conference, really, and more-so than for the ACC. Secondly, the Backyard Brawl has to continue. I'm sure that Pitt will do all that it can to keep it alive. If they don't I will be pissed - we know what it's like to lose a rival due to arrogance and it's a true shame for the fanbase.

cdj
09-18-2011, 02:18 PM
Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State to Pac-12(-16) rumors heating up again. (http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/longhorns/entries/2011/09/18/official_potent.html)

Iowa State & Baylor have supposedly reached out to the Big East. (http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/17/iowa-state-baylor-reportedly-offer-themselves-to-big-east/)

It's looking like the Big East may survive (somewhat) but the Big XII won't.

SmoothPancakes
09-18-2011, 02:48 PM
If the Big East does, it's going to be the WAC of the east. I think UConn and either West Virginia or South Florida are going to be #15 and 16 in the ACC. The Big Ten, if they can beat out the SEC, pick up Missouri, along with Rutgers, Louisville, and whoever else (maybe Notre Dame, maybe West Virginia if the ACC doesn't take them). Cincinnati would make sense, but it'll be a cold day in hell before Ohio State would agree to Cincinnati being let into the Big Ten.