PDA

View Full Version : So finally...I decided to get a Wii

JBHuskers
10-04-2010, 12:35 PM
$110 + ship on eBay and it's looking like it's in really good condition.

What's good for it?

I'm not going to do much wtih the motion controller, I'm going to actually get the Pro dual stick controller since it's only $20...may even get the Goldeneye special edition with the gold pro controller.

morsdraconis
10-04-2010, 02:13 PM
If you're ok with "illegal" things, there's a REALLY easy way to "break" it so that you can do homebrew (as well as not have to pay for the Virtual Console stuff or games in general) as well as emulator stuff (which, for the most part, is better than the Virtual Console stuff cause, for whatever reason, some of the VC stuff just isn't exactly right - which makes a HUGE deal for something like twitch platformers like SMB3 and such).

JBHuskers
10-04-2010, 02:22 PM
What kinda games do you peeps suggest? I'm definitely thinking about Goldeneye, NBA Jam, and Donkey Kong Country down the road....but how bout past releases? The new Super Mario Bros? Metroid? Zelda?

CLW
10-04-2010, 03:33 PM
I have a Wii and have played a few games on it. I'm a fan of Punch Out and Mario Kart as well as Wii Sports.

JBHuskers
10-04-2010, 04:28 PM
Yeah definitely want Punch Out and Mario Kart...maybe the Sports Resort. One game I forgot about was Epic Mickey. That game looks really sweet. I'll probably purchase some Nintendo Points too to get some Wii Ware and other classic games.

Rudy
10-04-2010, 05:47 PM
If you have mod racers I would just stick to that. Mario Kart is OK but it's nothing special imo.

The Super Mario Bros. game is probably the best game out there. It's classic Mario with new stuff. My kids loved it. Super Mario Galaxy 2 was pretty good but not as fun as Super Mario Bros.

I never play on the Wii other than participate with my kids once in awhile. Some have called me a Wii hater but the system only seems to have some really good first party Nintendo games that get released once every 2-3 years and then collects dust. The lack of any real horsepower is a turn off for me. I think Nintendo has done an incredible job in terms of marketing this machine. Everyone seemingly wants it but people play it the least of all the consoles.

morsdraconis
10-04-2010, 06:42 PM
If you have mod racers I would just stick to that. Mario Kart is OK but it's nothing special imo.

The Super Mario Bros. game is probably the best game out there. It's classic Mario with new stuff. My kids loved it. Super Mario Galaxy 2 was pretty good but not as fun as Super Mario Bros.

I never play on the Wii other than participate with my kids once in awhile. Some have called me a Wii hater but the system only seems to have some really good first party Nintendo games that get released once every 2-3 years and then collects dust. The lack of any real horsepower is a turn off for me. I think Nintendo has done an incredible job in terms of marketing this machine. Everyone seemingly wants it but people play it the least of all the consoles.

This is completely my stance on the Wii as well.

JBHuskers
10-04-2010, 07:22 PM
Yeah that's why I didn't want to spend too much over $100 for a console, and I didn't.

UGA14
10-04-2010, 09:24 PM
Super Mario, Mario Kart, Wii Sports Resort. That's pretty much it. I almost sold mine... but it's still sitting here.

JeffHCross
10-04-2010, 10:53 PM
What kinda games do you peeps suggest?Nothing. Hence why I don't see a reason to purchase the Wii ;)

JBHuskers
10-17-2010, 02:00 PM
It's in da house! It came over the weekend while I was gone. All I have is Wii Sports and NBA Jam at this point....probably going to grab New Super Mario Bros. this week too.

souljahbill
12-26-2010, 06:41 PM
I must be the only "gamer" on Earth who loves the Wii that isn't in the "Nintendo Fanboy" camp. Sure, it has it's disadvantages compared to the other systems but it has so many games that are under the radar that it's sick. Here's a list:

Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2
Super Paper Mario (MUCH better then New Super Mario Bros.)
Wii Sports Resort
Wii Party (if you have company who aren't considered gamers, this game is WAY better then it looks)
House of the Dead: Overkill (would have been my 2009 GotY if it weren't for Batman: Arkham Asylum)
New Play Control: Pikmin
Little King's Story
Murumasa: The Demon Blade
Trauma Team
No More Heroes 1 and 2
Kirby's Epic Yarn
Donkey Kong Country Returns
Battalion Wars II
Zack & Wiki: The Quest for Barbaros Treasure
Overlord: Dark Legend
Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition (The Wii remote makes an already great game PHENOMENAL)
Endless Ocean: Blue World
Deadly Creatures (I'm not going to lie, the game is pretty glitchy but the experience itself is really interesting and none of the glitches are game-killers)
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Essentially a longer and better looking Ocarina of Time)
Dead Space: Extraction

That's off the top of my head. If you explore the library and don't fall into the "It only has shovelware" trap, you'll find a lot of really great games.

Rudy
12-27-2010, 05:54 AM
My kids loved Super Mario Bros. on the Wii. They liked the Galaxy games but 3D platformers aren't as fun as 2D ones imo. Got the kids Donkey Kong Country and that game is similar to Mario Bros. in how they lay out the worlds and the levels are really good. But the game is significantly harder. I wish they would give you difficulty options so you can choose how many lives you get, hearts you get, etc. One difficulty level for the Nintendo games has to change.

souljahbill
12-27-2010, 07:29 AM
My kids loved Super Mario Bros. on the Wii. They liked the Galaxy games but 3D platformers aren't as fun as 2D ones imo. Got the kids Donkey Kong Country and that game is similar to Mario Bros. in how they lay out the worlds and the levels are really good. But the game is significantly harder. I wish they would give you difficulty options so you can choose how many lives you get, hearts you get, etc. One difficulty level for the Nintendo games has to change.
The difficulty is the reason I never bought DKCR. My wife played through Kirby's Epic Yarn and yeah, it was a tad easy, but it was worth it. It's an easy game to finish but if you want to get a gold medal on every stage, it's pretty difficult. The soundtrack is outstanding. Give that game at least a rental (although, I must admit that it's in my top 5 games of 2010).

As far as New Super Mario Bros., I find it to be the worst original Mario game on the Wii. It feels highly generic to me while both Galaxy games are full of imagination and creativity. It's unfortunate that a lot of people have slept on Super Paper Mario, which I think is arguably the best Mario game on the system. It's a platformer with RPG elements to it and I couldn't put the game down when I played through it.

JBHuskers
12-27-2010, 08:23 AM
Right now I have The New Super Mario Bros., Epic Mickey, and Super Mario All-Stars. Plus a couple of Virtual Console games. I have a Best Buy gift card where I'm planning on getting DKCR with it.

Violator
12-27-2010, 10:14 AM
thats so cute. you pay for your wii games

I OU a Beatn
12-27-2010, 10:21 AM
I'm personally on the boat of slitting my wrist before ever even thinking about buying a Wii. :D

morsdraconis
12-27-2010, 02:33 PM
thats so cute. you pay for your wii games

Pretty funny isn't it? :)

The Wii has got to be the easiest to hack system ever in existence (besides the original Xbox, which was just as easy but took much longer for it to happen).