Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kotaku Presents: "Retro Game Master"

• Facebook
  • Display

Kotaku Presents: "Retro Game Master"

Saw this linked by Owen Good of Kotaku and thought it was worth sharing.

http://kotaku.com/retro-game-master/

BACKGROUND
    Starting next week, Kotaku will begin streaming new episodes of Retro Game Master, the Japanese TV series that forces comedian Shinya Arino to play Japan's most popular video games, largely from the 8-bit and 16-bit era, in marathon gaming sessions.

Kotaku's parent company, Gawker Media, has licensed the series, originally known as Game Center CX, and will air fresh episodes in English on Thursday nights. Game Center CX has produced 15 seasons of gaming content, with Arino playing through dozens of Famicom, Super Famicom, PC Engine and Mega Drive games.

The show also spawned two original games, one of which, Retro Game Challenge for the Nintendo DS, came to North America.

Retro Game Master will be featured exclusively on Kotaku every Thursday night, posting at 8pm EST, starting June 23, 2011.
    EPISODES
    Episode 1: Ninja Gaiden
    In this first episode of Retro Game Master, our hero, Shinya Arino, faces off against grueling Nintendo Entertainment System game Ninja Gaiden.

Released in Japan in 1988 on the Famicom to coincide with the release of an arcade game by the same name, Tecmo's Ninja Gaiden featured 20 levels spread over six acts and a final act that required beating three bosses without dying. It looks brutal, but Arino makes me want to go out and buy an NES just to give it a try again.

This classic hour-long episode comes from season four of the show, originally known as Game Center CX. This first official U.S. airing of the show uses dubbing for the announcer's voice and subtitling for Arino's.

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    That was awesome! Can't wait for more of those. Thanks for posting that Paaka.

Sorry for falling behind on keeping up with this; the arrival of NCAA Football 12 has taken up much of my time the past few weeks.

EPISODE 2: SUPER FANTASY ZONE
    In this second episode of Retro Game Master, our hero, Shinya Arino, faces off against Sega Mega Drive classic Super Fantasy Zone.

Released in Japan in 1992 on the Sega Mega Drive and Europe a year later, Super Fantasy Zone didn't make it to the U.S. officially until it hit the Wii's Virtual Console in 2008. In the free-moving shoot-em up, players need to clear the levels by taking down enemy generators and finally the level's guardian. The game ends with a bit of a gameplay twist, but I'm sure Shinya Arino will keep his cool. Or will he?
    EPISODE 3: BONANZA BROTHERS
    In this third episode of Retro Game Master, our game-testing everyman, Shinya Arino, faces off against Bonanza Brothers.

Released in Japan in 1990 as an arcade game, Bonanza Brothers was later ported to a number of systems including the Sega Mega Drive. In the game, players take on the roles of brothers Robo and Mobo as they work their way through buildings stealing goods, avoiding guards and working their way to a blimp awaiting them on the roof.

I'm one of the very few self-admitted Bonanza Bros. fans. Even though it's simple, I love that game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome! I'll get around sometime soon to watching those too. This stuff is REALLY interesting to watch.

EPISODE 4: SOLOMON'S KEY

In this fourth episode of Retro Game Master, our game-testing everyman, Shinya Arino, faces off against Solomon's Key.

Released for arcades in 1986, Tecmo's Solomon's Key was brought to the Nintendo Entertainment System, Sega Master System, Atari ST and other consoles. In the game, players maneuver Dana through 50 or so maze-like rooms on the hunt for a key that opens the door to the next level. The Kacho's temperament will be tested as he faces off against a game that not only allows players to make a level impossible to finish, but also has no save points.

Wow, never played Solomon's Key and only a little bit of Bonanza Brothers. Those games look extremely difficult.

This is my new favorite TV show; even though it's not really on TV haha.

I've only played Ninja Gaiden from the episodes they've released so far, but even still it's really engaging to watch somebody play through games which were released so long ago. Watched 2, 3, and 4 this afternoon as a reprieve from "modern gaming."

I agree man. It's really good stuff. Wish there was more available of the old Japanese version of the show (Game Station CX) on the internet but just the first season, unfortunately. Haven't gotten around to getting it yet, but I definitely am.

EPISODE 5: CLOCK TOWER

In this fifth episode of Retro Game Master, our game-testing everyman, Shinya Arino, faces off against Clock Tower.

Clock Tower was released for the Super NES in 1995. Loosely based on Dario Argento's movie Creepers, Clock Tower is a point-and-click game that has players controlling the movements of orphan Jennifer Simpson as she tries to remain calm and evade her deadly stalker, the Scissorman. The game, considered one of the scariest made for the Super NES, has multiple endings.

Wow. Never knew of the SNES game, only the PS1 and PS2 games. Another awesome episode. VERY funny.

EPISODE 6: MIGHTY BOMB JACK

This week on Retro Game Master The Kacho takes on Tecmo platformer Mighty Bomb Jack.

Mighty Bomb Jack was released in 1986 for the arcade and the following year for the Nintendo Entertainment System. In the game, Jack makes his way through a 16-level pyramid on his way to defeat the demon Belzebut and rescue a royal family. The game is packed with oddities, like a rule that punishes a player for collecting coins too quickly, hidden passages found behind Sphinx and time-extending magical potions.

FYI, you linked to the wrong thing...

http://kotaku.com/5825355/retro-game...ghty-bomb-jack

Quote Originally Posted by morsdraconis View Post
    FYI, you linked to the wrong thing...

http://kotaku.com/5825355/retro-game...ghty-bomb-jack
    Hey, screw you .

Kotaku was acting up for me when I put the link together; couldn't get it to give me the direct link, so I linked the "announcement" which has the video embedded at the top of it. Thanks for finding the true link!

Quote Originally Posted by Paakaa10 View Post
    Hey, screw you .

Kotaku was acting up for me when I put the link together; couldn't get it to give me the direct link, so I linked the "announcement" which has the video embedded at the top of it. Thanks for finding the true link!

I didn't mean for it to sound like how I just read that... Sorry about that. The "..." made it seem like it was annoyed in tone or something (which I know you didn't take that way at all, but I still don't like it to be that way when it's not intended - especially for something as important as this ).

Interested to see how The Kacho tackles Might Bomb Jack. That game is incredibly hard.

Wow, he actually failed to beat it. I know that game is ridiculously hard, but wow, I didn't think he would fail to beat it.

Quote Originally Posted by morsdraconis View Post
    Wow, he actually failed to beat it. I know that game is ridiculously hard, but wow, I didn't think he would fail to beat it.
    If you spoil yourself and read the Retro Game Master Wiki, there are actually a good number of games that he doesn't beat.

The "Mighty Bomb Jack" episode is from Season 6; he actually tried the game two separate times that season, failing the first time (this episode on Kotaku) and then clearing it on a live show two episodes later.

Yeah. I wish there were translations of the show available because there are way too many episodes for Kotaku to actually get around to translating them all and watching him play those hard ass old games is very enjoyable (and seeing the frustrating of that makes me feel that much better in my own frustrating of beating my head against the unforgivable wall that is Catherine).

EPISODE 7: THE MYSTERY OF ATLANTIS

In this seventh episode of Retro Game Master, our game-testing everyman, Shinya Arino, faces off against The Mystery of Atlantis.

The Mystery of Atlantis was released by Sunsoft for the Family Computer in 1986. In it, players control a boy named Wynn as he explores the mythical land of Atlantis and fights to defeat and ancient evil. The Mystery of Atlantis was developed to take on Super Mario Bros. and featured the ability to move in both directions across a level. The game also included multiple paths to get to the end of a level and enemies that could kill you with a single hit.

EPISODE 8: S.O.S.

In this eighth episode of Retro Game Master, our game-testing everyman, Shinya Arino, faces off against S.O.S.

S.O.S. was developed by Human Entertainment for the Super NES in 1994. In the game, which was inspired by both the book and movie The Poseidon Adventure, players must escape the sinking ship Lady Crithania. The game has four players characters, a hidden timer and the levels rotate as the ship continues to sink.