Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Nintendo Switch

• Facebook
  • Display
    Well I caved it and got one. Was at a Walmart in Kansas and there were only two preorders and eight people total buying one. Even the local Gamestop did not have a midnight release, which made the small Walmart turnout even stranger.

I got my Zelda and the reviews for it are off the freaking charts. So put me down for at least a couple hundred hours based on the reviews and planning on a couple playthroughs. Going to stick with the Joy Con and play off the TV. Will wait for that Pro controller to drop on Amazon because $70 is still too high.

Setting it up was a breeze. Day one system patch only took a few seconds to download. I am going to primarily use this for the TV and the joy-con remotes last about 20 hours so they will last more than enough to wear they need to be recharged on the deck every so often. The UI is about as basic as you can make it. It's not much to look at but it gets you to where you want to go without having to navigate through a bunch of hoops. You have two background options (white is default) or black which I switched to because it was easier on the eyes.

Zelda has a day one patch and it takes a couple minutes. Only got 30 minutes with it but it looks absolutely fantastic due to the art design. Love that you have the option of aiming with the right stick, motion control or technically both with the bow if you leave it default to use motion control. The buttons are taking some getting used to. Nintendo has the main (A) button on the right and each of the other buttons are in a different place than the Xbox One controller. Fortunately it shows you what button and the location to perform all the tasks. You can switch the jump button but that is as far as it will let you swap things.

There is some rumbling that the left joy-con flakes out quite a bit but it has not been an issue for me. I have the system hiding behind the TV and more than 6ft away so it is not happening to everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by bdoughty View Post
    Setting it up was a breeze. Day one system patch only took a few seconds to download. I am going to primarily use this for the TV and the joy-con remotes last about 20 hours so they will last more than enough to wear they need to be recharged on the deck every so often. The UI is about as basic as you can make it. It's not much to look at but it gets you to where you want to go without having to navigate through a bunch of hoops. You have two background options (white is default) or black which I switched to because it was easier on the eyes.

Zelda has a day one patch and it takes a couple minutes. Only got 30 minutes with it but it looks absolutely fantastic due to the art design. Love that you have the option of aiming with the right stick, motion control or technically both with the bow if you leave it default to use motion control. The buttons are taking some getting used to. Nintendo has the main (A) button on the right and each of the other buttons are in a different place than the Xbox One controller. Fortunately it shows you what button and the location to perform all the tasks. You can switch the jump button but that is as far as it will let you swap things.

There is some rumbling that the left joy-con flakes out quite a bit but it has not been an issue for me. I have the system hiding behind the TV and more than 6ft away so it is not happening to everyone.
    I'll join the club one day. I want that Zelda in my life. I couldn't spare the coinage as I had to replace my 360 so I got an Xbox One. Announcing a new Animal Crossing will give me added motivation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keep up the impressions, bdoughty.

The console intrigues me, but just can't get onboard until there's more games available and any wrinkles ironed out. Zelda sounds awesome though. If only Mario Kart or the new Mario game had been out at launch as well.

Will do. I am pretty limited myself since Zelda will be the only game on the system I play until Mario Kart Deluxe in April, Splatoon 2 for the Summer and then Mario this Holiday. Hoping for a Mario Golf and Tennis announcement at E3.

Here is a picture of the HOME menu (same screen on portable and TV) that I was musing about.

Someone got paid to design that.

Though I am sticking with playing Zelda Docked and on the TV, the handheld is the smoothest of the two experiences.

The day one patch for the game was supposed to help but most are not seeing it. I will try both docked and handheld tonight to compare for myself. It was noticeable in my limited time with the game yesterday but far from annoying. Of course I am playing with heavily modded Skyrim and Fallout 4 on the XB1 so I think Bethesda has desensitized me to crappy under 30 frame rates.

Quote Originally Posted by souljahbill View Post
    Announcing a new Animal Crossing will give me added motivation.Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    How about some rumors.

http://www.a90skid.com/rumor-animal-...g-game-switch/

If those did not satisfy.

Spoiler: show

Is your dock scratching your screen?

Nope but it has only been docked a couple times and now stays there. Have seen this brought up and can see this happening a lot for those using it as a handheld.

Also do not skin the Switch. Not something I have ever done but a bit of an oversight by Nintendo.

http://www.gamesradar.com/important-...ntendo-switch/

Minor spoilers ahead for those who do not want anything ruined.

Just made it off the plateau with the Glider and so far the game is excellent. My only complaint is the weapons break too quickly. I have no problem with weapons breaking, it adds to the fighting and forces you to use different weapons. It just happens so quickly early on. The bows are not as bad and that is good for me because the best way to kill things is from a distance. Especially helpful taking out the guys who ride horses. Cooking is a big part of the game is it is required early on to deal with the one cold area on the plateau. Learning to make recipes and the making the most out of them is enjoyable. You can use up to 5 items and toss them into a pot to see what gets created. Early on you get red peppers and when you mix that with another ingredient you get cold resistance. The amount of peppers used greatly increases the duration. Some items give buffs to your stamina, attack power, defense, sneaking etc. It will be a big part of the game. The other big part of the game are the shrines, which there are over a hundred of. Pretty much mini dungeons that focus on manipulating time and objects and the use of bombs. You have to beat the first four (all on the plateau) to gain access to all but one of the tools used in shrines (bombs, magnetic, time distortion and manipulating water to make ice. Every time you beat a shrine you get an orb. Every Four Orbs you can take to the temple and get a full heart or stamina boost. Stamina is another big part of the game. You have limited stamina so when climbing or swimming you better have enough or it will be End Game. Once again cooking plays a factor as you can make foods that give you extra stamina.

Gaurdians in the game suck. They one shot kill and you have a limited time to get behind cover before you get lasered down. I did get to use a horse after knocking an enemy off. They have to be tamed and are hard to control until they start to like you.

Back to playing.

Are those 1-2-Switch spoilers?

Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
    Are those 1-2-Switch spoilers?
    Only if they would have packed it in with the consoles. No way I am paying $50 for that.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/03/...best-ever?read

t added that The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild has also become the "biggest-selling Nintendo launch title ever in Europe, even outselling Wii Sports in first weekend sales", adding that this success all came "in March – traditionally a quiet time for the games industry."

Great start but you can thank Zelda: Breath of Wild for that. The true test is months after when all the Nintendo fans have purchased their consoles.

Testing the screen shot sharing feature. Currently can only be shared through FB or Twit.

Warning cartoony art style ahead, not safe for dude-bros.

Last edited by bdoughty; 03-09-2017 at 08:40 PM.

I'm not a fan of that cartoony art style but people seem to love the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    I'm not a fan of that cartoony art style but people seem to love the game.
    98 Metacritic, #4 highest rated game of all time. So yeah, seems so. Love the Cel-shading art style myself and it started for me with Jet Set Radio on Dreamcast. Then Wind Waker and the Borderlands series, to name a few.

If people want more pictures, let me know and I will keep posting them throughout my adventure. I will post them in spoilers so Rudy do not have to go blind looking at the art direction.

Lol. No need for spoilers.

More screens (Some Night Shots)

Quote Originally Posted by bdoughty View Post
    98 Metacritic, #4 highest rated game of all time. So yeah, seems so. Love the Cel-shading art style myself and it started for me with Jet Set Radio on Dreamcast. Then Wind Waker and the Borderlands series, to name a few.

If people want more pictures, let me know and I will keep posting them throughout my adventure. I will post them in spoilers so Rudy do not have to go blind looking at the art direction.
    I'm with you, B. A realistic art style ages rapidly with technology but colorful artwork is timeless. It's why SD Windwaker is still pretty compared to SD Twilight Princess. Keep showing pics. I'll definitely get a Switch eventually and this is the 1st game that I want to get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One thing that I am finding a challenge in is going back and forth between the Joy-Con and the Xbox Controller. It's like gong back to the old DUKE controller on the original Xbox after a long playthrough of Zelda. The main mutton is the other issue. Sony and Xbox use the bottom one and Nintendo keeps sticking to the right button, which is fine but give the option to customize the control layout in all games. EA was a perfect example when FIFA started getting good again and made a custom controller configuration that was based off the default PES layout.