Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: State of Decay 2 (XB1)

• Facebook
  • Display

State of Decay 2 (XB1)

So, who else is excited for Tuesday? I LOVED the first State of Decay and I have been anxiously awaiting this one!

And in fact, I don't even have to wait until Tuesday. Because I loved SD1 so much, and to show my love for the developers (and the still cheap price point of this game), I pre-ordered the Ultimate Edition (or whatever the hell it's called) for State of Decay 2, which grants you early access to the game 4 days early. So I'm digging into this baby tonight as soon as the Rockies game is over!

In fact, I'm actually contemplating switching the Rockies-Giants game from the TV to my laptop so I can still watch the game, but dive into this baby right at midnight.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by SmoothPancakes; 05-17-2018 at 10:26 PM.

I just played it for four to five hours. I have gamepass but knew I would end up getting the DLC so I bit the bullet. Honestly it's a bigger, somewhat prettier and far more customizable version of SOD1. It is still janky as all get out and I have run across some crazy bugs, like multiple cases of my partner warping back to base for no reason at all. It is getting hammered by quite a few sites for the jank, bugs and graphics a bit too harshly for what is a budget game at $30 (the rest paid for the upcoming DLC). The game is just a blast to play. The combat is really good out in the open (indoors, especially at night is a cluster**** waiting to happen). Scavenging is still a blast and all the extra customizing of bases, etc, ticks most of the boxes of what I enjoy. It really is overwhelming at times with all of the things at your disposal and decisions to make. Night time is crazy. Just dark as all get out. Love it and hate it all the same time, seeing the sun rise after a long night is a pleasure.

Completely ruined my first play-though by not defending my base (watchtowers are your friend) and we had a level of depression among the group that would make a emo person blush. Lost one player in the melee and followed it up by losing one of the two original starting characters you get to pick from during a night attack on a plague heart which was completely on me. I spent too much time trying to blindly dodge in tight spaces while the AI controlled player got trapped and devoured before I could get to him. Made plenty of other mistakes so I just chalked it up to lessons learned and started a new group. Did not help that I spent the first few hours playing w/o a partner and that kills you in regards to resources. Two players plus a car = lots of rucksacks. Nice touch making vehicles run out of gas and most vehicles you find on the road are completely empty and many that require a repair also. Adds another management tick while trying to gather as many supplies as possible.

They also throw out achievements like crazy, I had 20 in the time I played it.

Yeah, I love that you have to actually manage your gas now when driving and that you can't just jump into any car you come upon on the map.

I posted some brief early impression last night for someone over on OS, I'll grab that post and copy it over here.

Here's the first two hours in impressions I gave someone on OS.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy008 View Post
    To those that have played it what are your first impressions? I'm not able to play it right now so was just wonder and am a little nervous because I've been hearing that the game isn't that good.
    I'm enjoying it. Granted, I've only played the tutorial and founded a safe house with the initial four person community you start with fresh out of the tutorial, and then started a second community that I skipped the tutorial on and rolled (and rerolled numerous times) the three characters until I got skill combinations that I liked.

I've probably put about an hour into both of the communities, the tutorial community in the plateau map and the non-tutorial community in the valley map.

It's definitely different. If you're expecting SoD1 with a fresh coat of paint, you'll either be surprised or disappointed. The outposts are different. You only get two at your starter safe house, so don't expect to set up this massive zone of protection like you could at Snyder Trucking in the first game.

I haven't set up one yet, so other than knowing that you get access to the supply locker and can switch active characters, I don't know what all else you can do or get from outposts in this one.

You can still set up special outposts and get a supply of food, medicine, etc coming in like you could in the first game, but outposts are expensive early on, so you're better off just looting all supplies and staches and taking them home early on.

You can also seemingly set up outposts just about anywhere. I saw that you can set up outposts in houses, garages, billboards, even cell towers (you get boosted radio range as a bonus for that).

Expect to do lots of walking/running. Vehicles run on gas. If you run out of gas and you're not carrying any extra, have fun on foot.

One negative that I seriously disagree with, you can no longer board up windows in buildings. Apparently not many people bothered in the first game or something, so they took that out of the second. I personally boarded up windows in every building I entered, both so I could search and gather supplies in safety, but also so if I got stranded or into trouble somewhere, I could fall back to a boarded up, barricaded and fortified structure to either fight the horde to the death or try and sneak out the back door while the zombies go to town on boards over the windows at the front door. Now that option is stripped from me and that is one thing I really dislike.

Another thing I've noticed, and this might just be because I haven't played the first game since the Xbox One Year One edition was first released a long while back, but to me, nights seem a LOT darker. Even sitting here in a dark room in real life, I struggled to spot nearby zombies while crawling around the neighborhood in the middle of the night. About the only sure way to even know exactly where one was nearby was from their glowing eyes. Without that, I probably would have walked right into a couple. There is some moonlight that does help in areas, but God help you if you're in an area with a lot of trees. I've had no problem mowing through zombies so far in my time playing and never felt worried like I might die, but out in the extreme dark of night, hearing growling and groaning nearby but not being able to see exactly where, yeah, I'm actually sort of fearful going out at night. I ended up hanging out home base until I quit and called it a night, and when I pick things back up tomorrow, I'm likely going to remain around home base until the sun comes back up.

One early positive, the map feels huge. The yards of every house are massive. I don't know about elsewhere on the map, but at least in the starting area of the two maps I've been on, they are nothing like the first game game with a bunch of close houses and small yards with tight alleys and walkways and paths. In 2, you can walk out the back door of a house and find yourself looking at 15-20 yards (or more) of open grass before getting to the property boundary fence. The properties feel massive, the open land and yards feel massive, even just standing in the middle of the road and looking down the road can feel massive.

The reviews are pretty bad so far, but you guys make it seem like it's decent. I had cancelled my pre-order.
    The dude abides.

Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
    The reviews are pretty bad so far, but you guys make it seem like it's decent. I had cancelled my pre-order.
    I haven't read any of the reviews, so I don't know what reasons they're giving for it being bad or negatives, but other than not being able to board up and barricade windows anymore, I'm really enjoying it. I loved and played the absolute hell out of the first game, and so far I'm enjoying this one.

One thing I've noticed, you're going to have to keep a closer eye on your resources. I can't remember the specifics, I'll have to get in-game to double check, but there seemed to be some changes and an increase in the number of resources, and how they're drained. The morale system also seemed to be revamped from the sounds of it in the How to Play menu on the main title screen.

Again, I'm still very early in the game, only an hour into both my tutorial and non-tutorial created communities, I've only searched and cleared a handful of houses in each, only just set up my home base in each, and it's currently the middle of the first night in each, so I've only just scratched the surface.

Reviewers are hating it but most of the streamers that I follow are loving it. If you liked the original you should love this.

You can always buy one month of Gamepass and play it for $9.99 for a month.

Well I put a shit load of hours into the first one. You talked me back into it.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    The dude abides.

Well I put a shit load of hours into the first one. You talked me back into it.
    Hey if you are down for some co-op sometime, my XBL is BoomerandSooner.

Quote Originally Posted by bdoughty View Post
    Hey if you are down for some co-op sometime, my XBL is BoomerandSooner.
    Will do! You know mine haha

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    The dude abides.

Count me in! I haven't done any actual co-op yet, just single player stuff. I know I have JB on PS4, not sure about on One. Feel free to shoot me a request, SmoothPancakes.

If we can get a three man team it would be great. Just prefer to play on one of your maps, so I can actually relax a little and just kill some zeds. I love all the micromanaging and my 2nd run has been great so far (day 5, 4 people, 3 outposts and everyone is happy) but it would be nice to not have to worry about that for a while. Even in my second run I am spending 90% of my time scavenging. Pissing off humans left and right but have not been attacked so far. One enclave just moved away after I told them they could not have a rucksack of bullets.

I have learned the workbench is the first thing to build. Create a bunch bombs which is the best way to take out those plague hearts quickly. Plus you can repair weapons which has been a big bonus to preserving those special items you get for pre-ordering. Leave the bullets for the bloaters, screamers and ferals. Only killed two Juggernauts but best way for me was dodge like crazy and slash when he stops.

Someone over on OS asked for more impressions last night, so I posted the following. I am loving, loving, loving this game, I couldn't even care less about the occasional bug or glitch that I've seen, I'm having a blast, and the bugs and glitches will eventually get sorted out and fixed in a patch anyways.

So I'm not sure if the game continues "living" even while you're offline like the first one did. I got back on tonight in my non-tutorial community and I didn't notice anything missing or lower supplies. Granted half the community supplies were still at zero because I was only an hour in and hadn't built up the community properly yet.

I'm currently hiding out on a billboard during the middle of night 3, waiting for dawn of day 4. It feels just like the first game did to me so far with some changes and additions.

So far I've managed to get my population up to five with the addition of two strangers. Put up a watchtower, machine shop and infirmary in my three available spaces. I still don't have any outposts. Outposts are a lot more expensive than I remember them being in the first game. To put an outpost in a house costs 400 influence. I have yet to spend any influence at all after probably 4 or 5 hours of gameplay and I'm only up to 465 influence currently, which I'm saving up for the 1,000 influence I need to move to my next home site.

I don't know if it's the best home site you can have in Meagher Valley, but I discovered Mazzara Farm while helping a stranger find his buddy. It's a big ass site like Snyder Trucking in the first game. It comes with existing country kitchen, well house, crew house, grain silo storage and two parking spots, with the ability to build on 2 large slots, 1 small indoor slot and 2 small outdoor slots for a total of 5 additional facilities that you can choose.

Now that sounds pretty damn good to me, granted there might be something even bigger and better since I've only discovered at most 10-15% of the entire map via billboard and cell tower spotting.

Be ready for infestations up the ass. I've already destroyed 3 or 4 infestations and I'm looking at another four currently active infestations on the map right now. At least one or two seem to pop up 15-20 minutes in real time.

Also, be careful and try to keep various enclaves happy. While in the first game you never really had any dangerous enclaves of other human survivors, this time around, it's possible to piss off other survivor groups or have them turn hostile towards your group through your actions or choices, leading to war between you and other groups. And from what I've read, the AI doesn't suck at shooting in this game. One review talked about how they had trouble lining up headshots on an enemy survivor and one of their community members got shot and killed during a shootout. So make sure you work on training your people in the firearms and shooting skill, because it may come in handy.

And as I've been typing, a FIFTH infestation popped up down the road from my home site. It lead to an interesting comment from my follower about how if we don't start knocking down these infestations, we're going to have a siege on our hands. Now, as someone who really didn't watch any of the new features videos, I don't know if that's just a one-off comment, or if you let infestations go and build up on you, then it leads to something called sieges. I'm sort of intrigued at the possibility of zombie sieges.

Edit - So I'm not sure about "sieges" being in the game, but you do get hordes up the ass if you let a bunch of infestations build. I have 5 active infestations and at one point in the middle of night 4, there were 8 different hordes in my quarter of the map. Even right now there are still 5 active hordes and that's after killing 5 or 6 others I've come across.

Also best to wipe out infestations early. When an infestation forms, it has 6 zombies and 1 screamer inside. If you let it go long enough, that eventually increases to 8 zombies and 2 screamers. And if you still don't clear it yet, it eventually increases again to the point of 10 zombies and 3 screamers inside the building. Yeah, learn a lesson from uncle Pancakes. Four of my five active infestations have reached that 10 zombies/3 screamers level. Those are going to suck to actually clear out. Learn a lesson from me and clear your infestations out early while they're still small and easy.

One thing that I sort of dislike from the first to the second game, hordes are underwhelming. Most hordes are only 6 zombies and maybe a screamer in size. I have seen one or two that go up to 8 or 9 in size. But nothing like the massive roving 10-15 or more zombie hordes like there were in the first game. The first game, I would avoid hordes unless I was near outposts that had traps enabled or was in a vehicle. Now, I just go running in swinging and bashing and wipe them out.

There also seems to be a lack of special zombies so far. In 4 or 5 hours of gameplay, I've seen one bloater zombie and that's it. No juggernauts, no ferals, no other special zombies. So they seem to be a bit far and few inbetween in this game compared to the first. The only thing you have to really worry about is blood plague zombies as your characters can easily become infected with the blood plague from attacks by blood plague zombies. Then you gotta deal with the whole finding and making a cure that the tutorial started community has for the storyline.

Also, cars are definitely fewer than the first game. There's no more having your choice of a couple trucks, a couple two and four door cars and a cop car or two in one small neighborhood like the first game.

So far, in an area probably a quarter size of the map, I've located a working ambulance with 3/4ths of a tank of gas. A Rhames V with an empty tank that is your vehicle you abandon due to no gas at the start of the game. A Rhames V that does work and has 3/4ths of a tank of gas, though it's located next to an infestation. A Desperado that is both destroyed (needs to be repaired) and has an empty tank. A second destroyed and empty gas tank Desperado. A working military truck that has an empty gas tank. And a working passenger van with over 3/4ths of a tank, though that likely belongs to the nearby community of survivors that I'm supposed to meet at that house.

One quarter of the map, and only seven potential vehicles that can be used, and only three of them that actually have gas in them. Yeah, vehicles are a whole hell of a lot more rarer, special, and something you don't want to just go banging around and destroy while driving somewhere. You better do your best to make those babies last.

Edit - OK, now that it's daylight and I'm jogging the 750+ meters back to my home site, I've since come across one bloater that was walking and a second bloater just now that is lying in the middle of the road like a booby trap, as well as just watched a horde form right in front of me 20 yards away. So now I'm up to 3 bloaters so far for special zombie sightings.

Edit 2 - Well, I just had my first "shit my pants" moment. It's late at night, maybe 4 or 5am, it's just barely starting to get light out and you can just start to see more than 10 feet in front of you. I'm running a mission with a survivor of another enclave, going to save his buddy trapped in a garage. We get there and there's an infestation inside the house next door, a horde passing by, and out of nowhere, I get attacked by a feral while a juggernaut is 30 yards away. After literal minutes of hacking and slashing, there is a mound of probably 20 or 30 dead zombies on the ground and somehow the four of us come out of it alive (although both my people were near death levels of health. Thankfully the juggernaut seemed to disappear.

Or so I thought. As I was starting to type this up, with the map window pulled up, suddenly the map disappeared and I got yanked back into the world with the picture of a fucking juggernaut screaming next to my active character INSIDE my home site. It took dozens of gun shots from all 5 of my community members to get him down on his knees so one of my AI members could run up and kill him.

So make that 2 "shit my pants" moments in a matter of 10 minutes or so.

And now suddenly I'm seeing a lot of special zombies. I went from seeing none to having seen over two dozen bloaters, one feral and one juggernaut so far.

If we can get a three man team it would be great. Just prefer to play on one of your maps, so I can actually relax a little and just kill some zeds. I love all the micromanaging and my 2nd run has been great so far (day 5, 4 people, 3 outposts and everyone is happy) but it would be nice to not have to worry about that for a while. Even in my second run I am spending 90% of my time scavenging. Pissing off humans left and right but have not been attacked so far. One enclave just moved away after I told them they could not have a rucksack of bullets.

I have learned the workbench is the first thing to build. Create a bunch bombs which is the best way to take out those plague hearts quickly. Plus you can repair weapons which has been a big bonus to preserving those special items you get for pre-ordering. Leave the bullets for the bloaters, screamers and ferals. Only killed two Juggernauts but best way for me was dodge like crazy and slash when he stops.
    That would be awesome to get all three of us together. If either of you guys are on, absolutely feel free to message me and jump into my game. I'll always welcome help in killing zombies.

So far my non-tutorial custom community is coming along well. I'm in the middle of day 5, I have 5 people in my community, set up my first outpost at a food store, have happy morale. I built a workbench, an infirmary, and a guard post on the three open spaces in my initial home site. I found a great giant home site called Mazzara Farm last night, that reminds me of Snyder Trucking from the first game, giant home site, lots of spaces to build facilities, a bunch of good facilities already built in. I got my command center, storage facility, infirmary and workbench all upgraded to level 2 (so now my survivors all gradually auto-heal their wounds and injuries, I can make better stuff in the workbench, I can store up to 25 of each resource instead of only 15, and I have more stuff I can do on the radio while away from base).

I haven't pissed off any enclaves yet, I actually try to respond to most calls for help that I get. They usually result in a free rucksack of resources. Food and medicine seem to always be two of the options you can pick from, with a random pick of ammo, gas or building materials for the third option you can choose. It makes keeping my supplies topped off fairly easily without having to constantly loot buildings all the time.

I did have one enclave that up and entirely left the valley after I never responded to their radio call. But so far, I haven't pissed any off or started any wars.

As for special zombies, I've come across probably 20 bloaters, killed a couple, been ambushed by a couple, and avoided the rest. I was ambushed by one feral, thankfully my follower and the enclave survivor I was helping at the time killed it. I'm up to two or three juggernauts killed, with two of them attacking my community while I was inside my home site. I've also come across a couple armored zombies towards the end last night. It's funny, I went 3 entire days in-game and never saw any special zombies other than blood plague zombies. Now all of a sudden I'm getting swarmed with special zombies left and right.

There is no offline progression this time. I prefer it this way because I hate to lose control over anything. Had the same situation with a Juggernaut attacking my home but he tried to enter through a small gate and got stuck and just kept trying to make his way in through it. Had to finally take it out of it's misery. Lost my first car due to a juggernaut showing up as we were filling it up with goodies. He will use that car against you. Ended up underneath the car at one point from one of his ground slams. Thankfully they have that Radio option to free yourself from being stuck. That should be a standard option in all Bethesda made games.

Like you i skipped the tutorial on run 2. Love that you can keep refreshing characters to get a group exactly like you want. None of the tutorial startups really suited my tastes.

Edit: Forgot my headset was broken (can hear but no voice), can still join up but need to buy another one so we can shoot the shit.
    Last edited by bdoughty; 05-19-2018 at 08:31 PM.

There is no offline progression this time. I prefer it this way because I hate to lose control over anything. Had the same situation with a Juggernaut attacking my home but he tried to enter through a small gate and got stuck and just kept trying to make his way in through it. Had to finally take it out of it's misery. Lost my first car due to a juggernaut showing up as we were filling it up with goodies. He will use that car against you. Ended up underneath the car at one point from one of his ground slams. Thankfully they have that Radio option to free yourself from being stuck. That should be a standard option in all Bethesda made games.

Like you i skipped the tutorial on run 2. Love that you can keep refreshing characters to get a group exactly like you want. None of the tutorial startups really suited my tastes.

Edit: Forgot my headset was broken (can hear but no voice), can still join up but need to buy another one so we can shoot the shit.
    Sweet, I do prefer it that way too. Disappear for a few days and come back in the first game, and my base would be deleted of supplies and all hell broken loose among the morale of the community. I'd rather just be able to save and call it a night and pick things up exactly where I left off.

I had the same thing last night. I'm still in the starter house on the valley map, a juggernaut tried to get inside my home site through the back gate, but couldn't fit. So I just stood there from 10 feet away popping in him in the head with my pistol over and over until he finally went down to his knees, then finished him off.

Agreed on the Bethesda comment. I love that they realized it would be a potential issue that they wouldn't necessarily be able to remove or fix, and so gave people a way to escape situations where they got irreversibly stuck. Bethesda absolutely should take note of such a feature.

I love the reroll feature too. I kept rerolling until I was happy with all three of my characters. Got a good mix of cardio, wits, fighting and shooting skills, and most importantly, one person had 6 out of 7 stars in the medicine skill and another had 5 out of 7 stars in the mechanic skill. Two vitally important skills to have, and I have them nearly maxed out from the very start of the game. My third person ended up with a 2 star gardening skill, which can be useful for future food production when I move to a larger home site.

Granted, having a survivor with only the four base skills and no specialty skills is also a good thing. I had a survivor I recruited who only had base skills. I found a book on computers, so I taught that survivor the computer skill and now I can upgrade my radio command center to level 3 in the future.

And while shooting the shit is always great, it still works well with this game. In this game, it's generally pretty clear what's happening and what's going on, so even without being able to talk, you can still work together with other people. Whoever is the session leader, they control and decide what happens since it is essentially their game/save file. And the rest just follows that person and kills zombies when necessary. Not much needs to be said there! And then when we do all have working mics, then we can shoot the shit!

I was going to get this because I enjoyed the first one but I can't find a reason to bite on this one as it pretty much looks the same. I was hoping for a lot more stuff.

Well shit. I ran into a hostile enclave. It was 3 on 2 gun battle, I managed to kill all three of them, but in the process my follower, who had a 6 out of 7 star Medicine skill died! Damnit! I was depending on that medicine skill. He was one of the three original survivors that I rolled to start the community. Now I gotta find a new medicine guy.

Quote Originally Posted by jaymo76 View Post
    I was going to get this because I enjoyed the first one but I can't find a reason to bite on this one as it pretty much looks the same. I was hoping for a lot more stuff.
    I mean, yeah, ultimately it is more of the same, though with the addition of co-op land the ability to move between the three maps, you can suck a map dry and move on and find a new area to scavenge and explore.

I played the hell out of the first game, and so far I am loving this game. Being able to have a follower with you every single time you go out helps. And you can switch between both you and your follower on the fly, so you can carry a hell of a lot of stuff back.

I'm already salivating at co-op with Bdoughty and JB, get the three of us rampaging through the game together. Hopefully we can find a fourth person, get a full four player co-op going and really kick some zombie ass.

Me and Smooth got some co-op last night. Worked pretty well outside of a few disconnects on my end and small lag but nothing unplayable. Also for some crazy reason it would let me use the door slam right when we joined up but after getting out and back in every door was off limits (happened both sessions). The way they split up and let everyone have certain loot crates to rummage through works well. Plus you can drop any item on the ground for someone else to get. Playing Co-op serves a solid purpose as you get to take back influence (basically money/player XP) and loot back to your base. Plus you get rewards for playing multiplayer after each session. In the two sessions it gave me a bunch of painkillers and other first aid items that may not seem like much for someone not playing this game but they are welcome to my lovable group of misfits.

A couple patches and we can really have something special here. Offline and Co-op.

Hope you are enjoying that new house. Got lucky an bought it 30 minutes later and nobody was inside it to begin with so we just rolled in. Then unlucky to have it attacked a by two hordes right after buying it and almost losing a new recruit.

By the way you really have to watch for bloaters laying in the road when playing. I screamed into the headset just a second before you hit one on our first go, realizing I had no mic as my player was melting from the green gas inside the truck. It took like 60% of my players health, thankfully my OCD requires me to keep at 100%. Just one of the fun little things that happen when you play SOD2.

We even had a Metal Gear Solid moment.

Last edited by bdoughty; 05-20-2018 at 08:55 AM.