Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Netflix Thread

• Facebook
  • Display

Netflix Thread

This is my 3rd go around with Netflix. It's definitely becoming better in regards to what's available on the instant stream...plus I'm using the disc rental to start watching Sons of Anarchy....but a big deal just was struck where EVER episode of SNL is going to be available in instant stream beginning next week!

http://splitsider.com/2010/09/every-...tch-instantly/

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...ion-plan-48030

Web plan without DVDs will cost $7.99 a month; popular existing plans now $1 more expensive
    NEW YORK - Netflix on Monday unveiled pricing details for a new online streaming-only subscription plan and price increases to existing unlimited plans that offer both streaming content and DVDs.

The price changes come as the company has spent more money on content, particularly in its five-year deal this year with premium TV venture Epix, and seen users spend more and more time with its streaming service.

Jessie Becker, vp marketing, in a company blog entry said Netflix is now offering a new $7.99 per month plan that lets users instantly watch unlimited TV episodes and movies streamed via a computer or TV set. "This plan does not include any DVDs," Becker highlighted.

As far as increases to current subscription plans go, Netflix said its popular unlimited plans that allow one DVD out at a time and two DVDs out at a time will see their price rise by $1 a month to $9.99 and $14.99, respectively. The three out DVD plan will now cost $19.99 a month, up from $16.99. The price hikes become effective immediately for new subscribers and in January for existing customers.

"Netflix members are already watching more TV episodes and movies streamed instantly over the Internet than on DVDs, and we expect that trend to continue," Becker's blog post said. "Because of this, we are not creating any plans that are focused solely on DVDs by mail."

The U.S. streaming-only launch follows the September launch of a similar service in Canada.

AllThingsD's MediaMemo said that Netflix is trying to convince subscribers that the Web-only service is a good deal, even though it only offers about 20 percent of the company’s physical catalog and is therefore closer to the size of the catalog available on Hulu Plus, which last week also unveiled a $7.99 a month price.

Wedbush Securities analyst Michael Pachter in a note to investors said it is hard to gauge the subscriber and financial effect of the new price points. "At this time, it is difficult to determine the impact of the price increases," he wrote. "On the one hand, we expect the majority of Netflix customers to remain on one of its combination plans, resulting in overall higher average revenue per user; on the other hand, the sharp increase in the most popular three DVD out plan could drive these subscribers to switch to lower-priced plans. We also expect many existing $8.99 plan customers to opt for the new, streaming-only plan at $7.99."

Overall, he left his revenue and profit estimates unchanged for now, predicting that any customer moves to lower-end plans will be offset by the higher price points.

"Today’s news reinforces our belief that Netflix will continue to spend heavily to add streaming content," Pachter told investors though. "As the company continues its shift towards a streaming-centric business model, we believe it will continue to upgrade its online content library, particularly given increasing competition from Hulu, Apple, Amazon and other competitors."

Netflix shares hit a 52-week high of $187.80 in early Monday trading. As of about 10:35am EDT, the stock was up 6.8% at $184.72.

I'm back on Netflix as well. With instant streaming to the PS3, Tivo and the iphone I'm sold. They just need to work on the titles they have available to stream. It's irritating to see the disc only tag on something you really want to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by psuexv View Post
    I'm back on Netflix as well. With instant streaming to the PS3, Tivo and the iphone I'm sold. They just need to work on the titles they have available to stream. It's irritating to see the disc only tag on something you really want to watch.
    It's gotten a lot better than it was though.

I'd pay $15-$20 a month for EVERYTHING to be streamable via Netflix.

I'm tempted to just go to stream only, but they're only upping the subscription by a buck. And Sons of Anarchy isn't on instant stream...

You're better off just getting 1 DVD until streaming is current with everything (or no more then a month or so behind).

Quote Originally Posted by souljahbill View Post
    You're better off just getting 1 DVD until streaming is current with everything (or no more then a month or so behind).
    Yeah that's all I do is one DVD, but I have had the same DVD for a while, as I've been using the streaming. But with winter coming, I'll be out less, so I'll then get caught up on Sons of Anarchy, then move on to something else.

Quote Originally Posted by souljahbill View Post
    I'd pay $15-$20 a month for EVERYTHING to be streamable via Netflix.
    Absolutely.... they need to get everything to stream. I think with this new option that they are working up to it.

Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
    It's gotten a lot better than it was though.
    Without a doubt. I remember trying to watch the Instant Play and there was so much buffering it was ridiculous. I was a little skeptical about it this time around but it's really been smooth.

Quote Originally Posted by psuexv View Post
    Without a doubt. I remember trying to watch the Instant Play and there was so much buffering it was ridiculous. I was a little skeptical about it this time around but it's really been smooth.
    The quality of movies has gotten better too and there is a TON of TV too....that's what brought me back, again

For me I don't watch too many movies and TV shows so this kinda helps me get caught up with the world.

I read this yesterday and switched to the 1 DVD out plan. The streaming only would be great but even some instant watch tv shows have DVD only seasons.

We have been thinking about getting netflix for awhile now so I hope you guys don't mind me asking a few questions. What system does it work on the best? PS3, 360 or Wii? What kinds of things to they have to chose from? Is it new release movies, just older movies or both? How about tv shows? Are there a good selection to chose from?

If we don't like it, can we canel at anytime or do you have to give a notice? Finally, do you get to stream movies and get a dvd in the mail or is it one or the other? I know these are a lot of questions. Thanks for all the info you can give me on this.

I can't speak to your latter questions, but I know I have never heard a complaint from my friends (and there are many) that have Netflix about its selection. TV Shows, new releases, you name it, chances are they have it. The only complaint I've heard more than once in the last year is that not everything is available for instant streaming, and you have to actually wait for a disk. Seriously, if that's the biggest complaint the service can generate, it must be doing well.

I know On Demand cable services have recently started advertising certain movies that they get "before Netflix and Redbox", if memory serves. That tells me that Netflix gets New Releases pretty quickly, but not always on Release Day.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

It's about the same on PS3/360 really. I don't know why, but it seems to stream a bit quicker on my 360, but the difference is like 2-3 seconds per video, so it's not a big deal.

Most of the stuff is older released movies. They have a few newer ones, but not nearly the selection of newer stuff I'd like. They have a pretty large library of TV shows, which I what I use it for mostly. That's strictly speaking of the instant streaming. They have newer stuff and a LOT more when it comes to their DVD selection. They have various plans. They have a streaming only, streaming + 1 DVD out at a time, etc...You can check the pricing on their site.

You can cancel anytime. If you sign up and use a credit card, you get a full month free before they charge you. If you decide you don't want it, cancel within the first 30 days and you don't pay a dime.

Also, you can use more than one streaming device at no extra cost. So if you wanna stream on the Wii, 360, and PS3 at the same time, you can.

Yeah I'd pretty much agree with OU. Streaming is fast, it really depends though on your connection. We have streaming only and for $7.99 you can't beat it. LIke OU said if you get the DVD and streaming the selection is pretty much anything you want.

The nicest thing is the ability to stream on any device, PS3, Tivo and it even helps when we're out and my son is getting antsy and just pulled it up quick on my iphone and quiets him down.

Thumbs up

Thanks for all of the info guys. I signed up last night to the streaming only plan but it looks like i'm going to have to bump it up to the 1 dvd out plus streaming. There's not a lot of new stuff to watch. The good thing is the first month is free so I have until March 30 to decide if I want to keep it before getting charged.

Quote Originally Posted by NatureBoy View Post
    Thanks for all of the info guys. I signed up last night to the streaming only plan but it looks like i'm going to have to bump it up to the 1 dvd out plus streaming. There's not a lot of new stuff to watch. The good thing is the first month is free so I have until March 30 to decide if I want to keep it before getting charged.
    Instant streaming is pretty good for TV. I re-watch Pawn Stars. If you haven't seen it yet, watch The King Of Kong...great documentary.

I have been trying to convince the wife for months that she/we should switch from her Blockbuster disc only account to Netflix.

For whatever reason, she won't make the switch. It ticks me off that I could be streaming movies when I am on the road and she could do the same with the Wii which I never take with me when I travel.

Any suggestions on how I can win what has up until now been an unwinnable position?

Tell her that Blockbuster may be no longer within a year (kinda true)