Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Netflix Thread

• Facebook
  • Display
    I'd highly recommend the movie, "Spotlight". It's very telling of just how much power certain institutions hold.

Disgusting.

Sherlock Season 4 now on Netflix.

First they got Brad Pitt for a Netflix movie, now Will Smith:

We have started watching Bloodlines. Pretty good two episodes.

Read that Netflix is piling up debt while creating new content. They did say subscribers were up 25% this year so it must be working.

Beware of Bloodline. Season 1 is terrific. Season 2 is passable. Season 3 (the final season), which is pretty new, is 10 hours of your life that could be better spent doing anything else. The last two episodes are just unwatchable and does not resolve anything related to a few of the main characters. The actual ending, well...

Spoiler: show
    Think Sopranos, without any of the intrigue as to what happened to Tony. It just ends, as if there was to be a season 4.

I won't read the spoilers but that is disappointing that a series goes downhill.

3 episodes in with Ozark (Netflix original w Jason Bateman) and it is not bad. It is no Breaking Bad, which many reviewers were comparing it to but a nice stop-gap if you have one.

I watched 'What Happened to Monday' (trailer a page back, I think) and thought it was pretty good.

Narcos Season 3 just released and was a lot better than the first two seasons. You can even jump straight to season 3 if you are new to it

Time line minor spoiler but not really, just covering my arse.

First two seasons are mostly about Escobar and his cartel, season three focuses on the Cali Cartel, which I found much more interesting.

Spoilers until you have finished season 3.

Look like a season 4 will exist and we will be moving down to Mexico and possibly El Chapo?

American Vandal is a pretty funny satire on the true-crime genre. Someone painted 27 dicks on the teachers cars and there is only one suspect. Is he the culprit or did someone frame him? You get the gist. Not something you want to watch in front of the kids. Only 2 episodes in but much better than I was expecting. Falls under the, "that is so stupid it is hilarious, because I get those references." The end of the second episode was brilliant. I think Funny or Die was behind it.
    Last edited by bdoughty; 09-15-2017 at 07:43 AM.

Netflix added an older (mid 2000) Canadian drama, "Intelligence" a few months ago. Lead Actress is the star of the show. Midway into the second season and I still can't tell if it is a mockumentary of Canadian crime mobs or at the American mobs and the love of violence to solve problems. I have enjoyed the show but why is the main bosses made to be such pussy? Even the rival boss, who deals in harder stuff than Marijuana is pretty sad. Not even a rival, they team up so many times I just laughed. Still a really good show and wished it went for more than two seasons. The "Intelligence" part is great, the rest...

Under Boss: We need to kill someone, to show power.
    Boss: Negotiate.
    Under Boss: They just took out three of our men.
    Under Boss: They are coming to kill you.
    Under Boos: They are outside the door with guns.
    Boss: Ne-------go--------ti-------------ate.

Was able to watch Stranger Things 2 during Christmas travels.

No spoilers: I enjoyed it and was impressed how well it was seemingly a continuation of season one. It'll be interesting to see where they go with season three and also how they handle a cast of kids who are at a point where they can age relatively fast and differently from others.

I just finished watching season 2 and really liked it as well. The producers said they would build a year gap for the next season to account for the kids actually aging. They plan on 4-5 seasons.

Heard good things about Dark, Mind Hunter and Alias Grace. Will have to check them out too.

I watched the first episode and a half of Mind Hunter and want to get into it. The concept is great but I haven't been able to get back to it.

New Cloverfield movie debuts on Netflix immediately following Super Bowl.

I knew Netflix had the rights to this film, but all speculation was that it would be released in March or April. This was a well-kept secret.

I just finished The Cloverfield Paradoz, but won't post anything about it for a few days to avoid spoilers since it just came out a few hours ago.

I will say that it was really nice to watch a film where my opinion going in wasn't influenced positively or negatively based on ad campaign overkill or misdirection, critics, user reviews, etc. (The only thing that created any pre-conceived notion was the Cloverfield name as I liked the original and 10 Cloverfield Lane.) I hope more studios put films straight to streaming services like this in the future.

Finally finished watching Dark. The show was good but not great. It’s been compared to stranger Things but it’s not really a good comparison. Both have sci-fi elements but that’s about it. This show is about a time rift and it is interesting. The world is dark and on the cruel side with how people treat each other. Most characters are a form of grey. Some are jerks.

I think my biggest beef with the show is that you never really care about any of the characters. They are interesting but the show is about the story and they take a backseat. In stranger things you love the kids. Not so here. Also, it is a larger cast and keeping track of who is who gets tricky unless you binge watch. It’s also a German original and so the voices are dubbed and they did a poor job of providing variety among the voices. Too many people sound too similar.

Overall it’s a solid show I would give an 8/10. No higher.
    Last edited by Rudy; 02-10-2018 at 07:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
    I just finished The Cloverfield Paradoz, but won't post anything about it for a few days to avoid spoilers since it just came out a few hours ago.

I will say that it was really nice to watch a film where my opinion going in wasn't influenced positively or negatively based on ad campaign overkill or misdirection, critics, user reviews, etc. (The only thing that created any pre-conceived notion was the Cloverfield name as I liked the original and 10 Cloverfield Lane.) I hope more studios put films straight to streaming services like this in the future.

Okay.... I wanted to like this movie as I actually loved the original Cloverfield. I've come to the conclusion that this movie isn't a sequel or a prequel.

It's a weird concoction of space/horror/comedy with a 10 second clip related to the original Cloverfield right at the end. I still don't know how to feel about the movie. I mean it was interesting but it's in no way shape or form a movie about Cloverfield. Apparently it only became attached to Cloverfield well after it began filming...

Did you watch Making of a Murderer or the one about the Nun that was killed whose title escapes me right now but was the better of the two docs?

Check out The Staircase. What was once a documentary about an American murder/accidental death that was documented by a French team and released in France. Got lucky after production when a bombshell is dropped and the documentary covers 2001 all the way to 2017. It is thirteen episodes and should have been about eight. It is severely one sideed, as with most documentaries but I think it chose the right side but like many of these True Crime Docs, do not go in expecting closure.

Bonus, the guy looks like and somewhat behave like John C. McGinley when he was the head doctor on Scrubs. Just eerie similar.

Seriously, almost 10 hours of staring at this mug.