Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars Battlefront II

• Facebook
  • Display
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    So much negativity over the pay to win scheme by EA. Waiting on this one and the kids are cool with that.
    Literally EVERY game EA pushes out now has a major pay to win scheme. Madden, FIFA, StarWars, etc.... They have gone all-in on the microtransactions craze and I don't know the official numbers but it wouldn't shock me if over 50% of their revenue at this point comes from microtransactions. LOTS of people are apparently willing to pay hundreds of dollars for their MUT/FUT team.

Yesterday EA announced they will lower the credits needed to unlock characters......but I'm also seeing they went and lowered the rewards earned after each match, which could make the changes a wash.

Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
    Yesterday EA announced they will lower the credits needed to unlock characters......but I'm also seeing they went and lowered the rewards earned after each match, which could make the changes a wash.
    Shhhhhhhhhhhhh............

I think I'm still waiting on the install to finish and I started it around 8pm last night.
    The dude abides.

Wow$ Reduce charge but also reduce earnings? Bush league!

The one thing I have noticed is many reviewers are starting to factor in these micro-transaction gouging in their reviews.

Then there was this guy who simply reviewed the microtransactions in NBA 2K18 and forgot to review the actual game.

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2017/09/21/nba-2k18-review/

Of course if you guys think what EA is doing with Battlefield is bad, just wait until Anthem comes out, EA's version of Destiny. They probably have more people working on micro-transactions than they had working on the Career mode in Madden.
    Last edited by bdoughty; 11-14-2017 at 06:07 PM.

While the micro-transactions are stupid, since I don't bother with them, I'm still able to enjoy the game since I'm by and large playing the game for the game. Yeah the grind sucks, but oh well. The previous game had some grinding to it as well.

So far, looks like me, JB and psusnoop have the game. I've played through 8 of 12 campaign missions and have been rolling with JB and Snoop for a couple MP rounds.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

It is not just micro-transactions or loot crates. It is the fact that these purchases allow a player to be better in PVP. Pay to Win. This is where people are complaining. It's not like Rocket League or for the most part Destiny 2 where everything is cosmetic. Pay to Look Purdy. I have absolutely no issue with this. It does not effect the gameplay or competition online.

I'm kind of surprised Destiny didn't try to implement more pay to win stuff. They could have made a killing but would they be killing the golden goose if people got pissed off.

Other than enhanced grenades which are basically instant death if you're too close when they explode, the star cards don't really give you much of an advantage over others. It is still very much a stick skills game. If your stick skills suck, you're going to die regardless.

On the flip side, having every maxed out star card in the game won't make you God, if you can't shoot for shit, you're gonna die.

In the end, the game is still very fun and me, JB and Snoop had an absolute blast last night. Some games we didn't do great, other games me and JB were the top players on our team. Some games we won, others we lost.

If some people don't want to play solely because there are micro-transactions, hey, more power to them, meanwhile, I'm enjoying the hell out of this game and no paying a cent. I already unlocked Darth Vader last night before I got off, so in one evening, I racked up enough credits for one of the most expensive heroes to unlock. And I'm already a third of the way to unlocking Luke Skywalker.

Quote Originally Posted by bdoughty View Post
    It is not just micro-transactions or loot crates. It is the fact that these purchases allow a player to be better in PVP. Pay to Win. This is where people are complaining. It's not like Rocket League or for the most part Destiny 2 where everything is cosmetic. Pay to Look Purdy. I have absolutely no issue with this. It does not effect the gameplay or competition online.
    Yeah I think the big problem is that MUT/FUT/Loot Crate are basically gamble/pay to win. I have zero problem with it if they were only doing cosmetic or only single player items. Of course those microtransactions undoubtedly don't sell as well as the ones that are pay to win (it feeds off people's competitive need/nature). Honestly, its why I only rent Madden for a few weeks and then mail it back. MUT is nothing more than gambling/paying to win you would have to grind CONSTANTLY hundreds of hours to get a team even remotely competitive with other guys who are simply willing to shell out hundreds of dollars on their MUT team. No thanks - I'll keep saving for retirement and EA can prey off of the people without a dollar in savings.

The only question is - (1) is this a bubble that will pop or (2) will all AAA games going forward continue free-to-play/mobile game tactics to increase their profits/revenue.

The only thing I give EA credit on, you don't need to buy loot boxes to get star cards. You can unlock literally every single star card in the game (and upgrade them to make them more powerful), using crafting parts. So you don't have to buy endless loot boxes to get that one star card you really want.

Just spend the credits you earn in MP matches to buy loot boxes for free, all loot boxes give you crafting parts, and use those crafting parts to unlock and upgrade the specific star cards you actually want.

Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
    The only question is - (1) is this a bubble that will pop or (2) will all AAA games going forward continue free-to-play/mobile game tactics to increase their profits/revenue.
    Unless it is found to be gambling and therefore illegal in many places, nothing will stop this from happening.

We have gone from DLC.
    To DLC and Season Passes.
    To DLC, Season Passes and Loot Boxes.
    To DLC, Season Passes, Loot Boxes and the new low of selling Special Editions early, forcing standard edition owners to wait.

Even if Loot Boxes go away they will find something new to nickle and dime the consumer. Based on the sales figures from EA, 2K and others, people are spending more on micro-transactions than ever. So no amount of complaining will ever eliminate these things. It's when they go over the top the internet will get in an uproar, a small concession will be made and things will roll on.

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    The only thing I give EA credit on, you don't need to buy loot boxes to get star cards. You can unlock literally every single star card in the game (and upgrade them to make them more powerful), using crafting parts.
    Yes and someone did the math to unlock all those star cards.

http://www.swtorstrategies.com/2017/...e-content.html

Grand Total

There is a grand total of 324 cards. Upgrading these will require a total of 155,520 crafting parts. This requires opening a grand total of 3,111 loot crates which will require 4,528 hours of gameplay.

Final cost in crystals

The 600 credits received from a hero crate is worth 27% the cost of a hero crate. This is equivalent to 30 crystals. To account for this, I reduced the cost of a hero crate from 110 crystals to 80 crystals. 12,000 crystals can be bought for $100.

Opening the required 3,111 loot crates requires 248,880 crystals. If you only purchase $100 crystal packs, this will cost $2,100.

Don't know how accurate that is but "To EA's credit" is the last thing anyone should be saying in regards to EA and Micro-Transactions. Same goes for "To 2K's Credit or "To Activision's Credit."

Yeah, but is anyone seriously going to buy and upgrade every single star card? I'm focusing on specific star cards for each hero, class and vehicle. Odds are, I won't even need more than 50 star cards total across all classes, heroes and vehicles since I prefer specific ones over others based on their descriptions.

As I said over on OS, people may as well accept micro-transactions and loot boxes.

Just like DLC and season passes, which were bashed by seemingly everyone online when they first started becoming popular with game companies, the genie is already out of the bottle, and no amount of bitching, moaning and complaining on Reddit or anywhere else is going to put that genie back in the bottle.

Just like DLC and season passes, more and more companies have seen just how massively profitable micro-transactions and loot boxes are and their shareholders would have their fucking heads if they pissed away those profits.

People can cry boycott all they want online, just like every other boycott, it's going to have zero effect on EA's bottom line and ultimately end up being nothing than some feel good movement for people online and in the end achieve nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    People can cry boycott all they want online, just like every other boycott, it's going to have zero effect on EA's bottom line and ultimately end up being nothing than some feel good movement for people online and in the end achieve nothing.

Well news organizations are now talking about it and Wall Street has shown concern. There is a point to where micro-transaction can go overboard. We are not talking about a F2P game. We are talking about a fully priced retail game.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-41997252

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/15/wall...urt-sales.html

"We see recent controversies as a potential risk for unit sales vs buyside expectations," Bank of America Merrill Lynch says in a note to clients.

Enjoy the game, if you can play it without spending a penny extra that is terrific. That is all I have on the subject in regards to this game.
    Last edited by bdoughty; 11-15-2017 at 06:28 PM.

Read somewhere that the "campaign" is like 4-5 hours? That's 1/3 as long as horizon's dlc.

Thought this might be a decent $30 pickup or at least a rental but now I'm just going to pass completely.

sitting at 75 on Metacritic right now and a 0.9 by user scores.

Well I said it would be the last comment on the game but it appears that EA is about to do a 180.

More MSM coverage has to be putting pressure on EA and Disney has to feeling pressure with all the people discussing kids playing the game and loot boxes.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/11/16/tech...ing/index.html

http://fortune.com/2017/11/15/star-w.../?iid=sr-link1