Thread: MLB The Show 17 - General Discussion & Impressions

• Facebook
  • Display

MLB The Show 17 - General Discussion & Impressions

Use this thread to talk all things MLB The Show 17.

Anybody picking this one up?

It seems to have a lot of hype in the sports community, but am still interested to see how/if the marketing hype reaches the general population.

Not picking it up but am hearing great things about the new commentary team (outside of Matty V who seems like he'll always be there). Ball physics, frame rate and overall graphics appear to be positives.

No names on the back of Tigers road jerseys for some reason and SCEA said they won't patch it for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    No names on the back of Tigers road jerseys for some reason and SCEA said they won't patch it for some reason.
    Not sure if it is the reason why in this instance, but IIRC in the past they have said they do not update or add uniforms after release due to them being such an ungodly file size. (Not the exact verbiage they used, but you get the point.)

I'm surprised names would be that large. Either way it's a big mistake for Tigers fans they should fix regardless of file size.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    I'm surprised names would be that large. Either way it's a big mistake for Tigers fans they should fix regardless of file size.
    I agree, but I wonder if it's the issue of creating a new uniform versus just turning/putting on names. Isn't MLB The Show the only major sports game that doesn't add in new/updated unis post-launch?

I thought about getting it, but I only just bought MLB 16 as part of the post Christmas sale on PSN (I think it was either $10 or $15 at the time) and even that I haven't played much as I have had my time swallowed up by the black holes that are Sniper Elite 4, Ghost Recon Wildlands and The Division (that I was able to snag for cheap on sale through Newegg in January).

I may do the same thing with 17, I'll either just wait until it shows up real cheap around Thanksgiving or Christmas digital sales or else I'll just skip it entirely and look at maybe grabbing 18 new.

Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
    Anybody picking this one up?

It seems to have a lot of hype in the sports community, but am still interested to see how/if the marketing hype reaches the general population.
    Bought it this afternoon. It's still downloading and installing but I played about 4 innings of the tutorial game between the Indians and Cubs. In that short time I could definitely see the difference in ball physics as I saw several hit balls travel in trajectoriesi hadn't seen before. The animations look alot more polished and smoother overall than in past versions.

I'm hoping to spend alot more time with 17 than I did with 16.

Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
    Bought it this afternoon. It's still downloading and installing but I played about 4 innings of the tutorial game between the Indians and Cubs. In that short time I could definitely see the difference in ball physics as I saw several hit balls travel in trajectoriesi hadn't seen before. The animations look alot more polished and smoother overall than in past versions.

I'm hoping to spend alot more time with 17 than I did with 16.
    Anymore updates Steeler? You enjoying it?

Quote Originally Posted by jaymo76 View Post
    Anymore updates Steeler? You enjoying it?
    Yeah.

I've played about 5 games. I'm trying to use Dynamic Difficulty so the results have not been great (after the first game or 2, I've had very low scoring games).

The game seems alot more polished than in the past. Most everything is much smoother. I can't say enough about the ball physics. The trajectories are spot on and I'm seeing hits (and outs) that I see on TV all the time but have never seen in a game.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

They are giving away a "free Mariners legend" in Diamond Dynasty today.

Spoiler: show
    It's a 58 OVR Mario Mendoza. April Fools!

Saw this on Reddit and thought it was funny:

Barely played 16, so I don't think I will. I'll just pop in 16 and play RTTS if I get the itch.
    The dude abides.