Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Middle-Earth: Shadow of War

• Facebook
  • Display
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    I wouldn't recommend playing the games back to back though. You would suffer from game fatigue as they aren't just 10-15 hour games. I spent over 40 hours on the first one and I beat that a second time too.
    Yeah, if you're gonna play the first one, I'd definitely recommend a breather period in between before starting this one. It would be very easy to end up burnt out on this game.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

What is the max level for an enemy in the game? Last game was 20. I was only a level 3 and I killed a level 8 orc without too much trouble. Just level 4 now.

Highest I've seen so far is level 16.

Yeah my backlog is huge right now thanks to that huge sale they recently had I picked up the 1st one and have messed with it (I think I'm only roughly 25% through the story) so I'll likely buy it with my GCU unlocked and get around to it at some point in 2020

Shadow of War is definitely really damn fun, but yeah, it's only making my backlog worse. I'm trying to juggle Shadow of War, NBA, I've barely touched NHL 18, I still haven't even cracked open Fallout 4 GOTY Edition.

Then add in South Park next week (which is really two games since I haven't played Stick of Truth and it's include free as a pre-order bonus), Assassin's Creed in two weeks, Call of Duty World War II and Star Wars Battlefront II, I'm gonna be swamped for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    What is the max level for an enemy in the game? Last game was 20. I was only a level 3 and I killed a level 8 orc without too much trouble. Just level 4 now.
    New highest for orcs is level 18. Playing a story mission, I had to face an old nemesis from the first game. Not the one I wanted (good old Takra Caragor Tamer, I really truly miss him and our long lasting rivalry during which we probably killed each other at least ten times each) but instead a giant, level 18 LEGENDARY son of a bitch. A tank class legendary captain, with defender shield class bonus AND vault blocker (so I can't even leap him and hit him in the back) AND cursed weapons, so anytime he hit me, there goes at least half my health AND quickly kills and is enraged by beasts, so I couldn't even let loose some caragors to aid me.

Oh yeah, and anywhere from 7 to 10 grunts kept running in to help him fight me, no matter how many times I killed them all with Cleansing Blaze Elven Light (Elven Light that sets all nearby enemies in fire). I couldn't even use arrows because he was invulnerable to them. He had no major weakness, just simply damaged by executions and explosions.

The only saving grace against him, he was clumsy and so thus could be grabbed without being broken. Even then, I died 3 times without even getting his health more than a quarter of the way down. I damn nearly quit the game in a rage, but I was able to calm myself down, looked up a couple tips for fighting tank class captains, and eventually was able to beat him on my fourth try by simply grabbing him, throwing him down and then jumping on him and ground executing/stabbing him. Took probably a good two dozen times of doing that, and at least 10 or 15 minutes while draining every orc in sight to keep my health up, but I finally managed to kill him.

Another successful night in the books. Currently level 22, I've already unlocked 36 of the 120 skills that are in the game.

I've made it into Act II now, in a new region. I can finally start branding orcs and it appears I'll soon unlock siege battles. I've already claimed three captains for my own army. I also like you can now have orc bodyguards. I have a nice massive nasty level 21 Dark Destroyer Olog-hai, Ar-Pratu Brawl-Master as my body guard. I haven't called upon him yet, but I am eagerly awaiting the chance to call him to my aid in battle and watch him rip arms from torsos.

I'm also happy to see there is a use for mirian besides purchasing chests in the store. You can use mirian (seems to be 750 to 850 mirian per) buying upgrades for your assault force for sieges. For instance, I have three captains in my assault force so far, all three with upgrades.

One upgrade strengthens my attacking army with a group of Olog-hai who can destroy fortress walls, which I chose over two other upgrades that would have given me a group of explosive sappers to charge the fortress walls or a group of caragor riders.

The second upgrade bolsters my army with Defenders, which I chose over upgrades that would have given me a group of axe wielding Savages or spear hurling Hunters.

The third upgrade gives me cursed siege beasts, which pummel the War Chiefs and their minions with dark, crippling artillery fire, which I chose over upgrades of fiery siege beasts that attack the walls and archers, and poisonous siege beasts that attack defending siege beasts and monsters.

Just those three assault leaders and upgrades give me an assault force level of 146, going up against a level 123 fortress whenever I unlock sieges, so I'm already in good odds of winning. And those odds will improve if I get rid of or turn the War Chiefs to my side since their own fortress boosting upgrades will be disabled.

You can ultimately have up to six assault leaders (the remaining three are unlocked at levels 25, 35 and 45), giving you upgrades such as clusters of arachnids swarming the fortress, a war Graug to support your army, a freaking drake to rain almighty hell fire onto the battle field (though it may result in friendly fire as it attacks without discrimination), you can get fire archers, farsighted archers who can target at greater ranges, caragor mounted archers, you can upgrade your banners to inspire your orcs into a blood thirsty rage or you can overpower your orcs, resulting in them capturing Victory Points much faster than normal.

God this is gonna be so much fun!

Last edited by SmoothPancakes; 10-12-2017 at 01:15 AM.

Holy crap you have gotten a lot done. I think I’m going to probably cancel my AC pre order since I have too much of a backlog before Christmas. That may end up a Christmas gift.

I remember always having a bunch of yellow or red missions to do on my map. The map is harder to read this time. I've searched for some items and knocked down a monument but it's harder to see the story missions unless I'm blind. So while I've done a few, I'm largely just roaming, fighting and collecting right now.

The RPG and skill tree is more restrictive this time. You get skill points but the game prevents you from unlocking the second one unless you are levelled up. It feels like I just choose which tree I start with but will be leveling up pretty balanced with how it is set up. It's nice to get more powers for fights.

Yeah, you have to plan out your levels skill unlocks ahead of time. Is it worth it plowing through a category of skills to get to a really good last skill, or is it worth it to upgrade a skill here and there in different categories and unlock different combat altering abilities?

I don't remember the numbers, but I'm definitely more evenly spread out between different skill categories.

Alright, I can confirm orcs go higher than level 40. For the Bright Lord's Armor you get from barrows in Minas Ithil, I just upgraded it to level 20 after completing the upgrade challenge. Now there's a new challenge for a level 40 upgrade, to which I must recruit a Tank that is level 40 or higher.

So orc levels go MUCH higher this game. I'm betting, if there's a cap in levels, it's at a minimum level 50, maybe even as high as 75 or 99.

I'm a little bit further along after a couple hours tonight. Up to level 26 and I've reached the point I can begin my first siege. I'm actually going to wait though because first I want to dispatch both War Chiefs, which will not only disable the fortress defense upgrades, but also remove them from battle so I can focus solely on the Overlord.

One War Chief is screwed. I've dominated and turned all three of his bodyguards and assigned them as spies against the War Chief, so I unlocked a special ambush mission that his bodyguards (my spies) are leading him into.

I unfortunately can't do it to the other War Chief because one of the two bodyguards is protecting the War Chief and will only appear and fight when the War Chief appears and fights. But I did turn his second bodyguard into a spy for me, so at least it'll be 2 on 2 in battle.

I'm also sad, my level 21 Olog-hai bodyguard was killed while I was being swarmed by three captains and at the very least 50, maybe even as many as 100 orcs. I really liked that massive bastard, he was a great bodyguard and would clear out entire war parties by himself. Still haven't found a suitable replacement for him yet.

How often are you slotting your gems? I haven’t used any since I’m only level 11and constantly upgrading. Not sure what to do.

I slot gems every chance I can. Over time, I've managed to get level 4 gems (refined gems) slotted on everything.

I've got level 4 red warrior gems on my sword and bow so I get 25% increased damage with both weapons. I've got a level 4 green life gem on my dagger so I increase health stolen by 8% with the dagger.

I have a level 4 green life gem on my armor, so I increase my health by 25%. I've got a level 4 white wealth gem on my cloak so I get an extra 12.5% increase to my XP earned. And I have a level 4 white wealth gem on my ringcraft, so any captains that I dominate and recruit automatically gain 4 levels instantly upon being recruited.

Add in another level due to having a level 30 Sword of Dominion, and every captain I recruit immediately gains 5 levels. So if I defeat and recruit a level 25 captain, bam, instantly I've got me a nice level 30 assault leader or bodyguard.

I keep my best gems attached to my gear, but every chance I get, I'm combining and leveling up any and all lower level gems. My goal is to get every thing with level 5 gems. It's gonna be a while though. Not counting the ones I have attached to gear, all I have right now is a single level 1 red gem a single level 3 green gem and 1 level 1, 1 level 2 and 2 level 3 white gems.

And what I do when it's time to upgrade, so I get two level 4 white gems ready to go, what I'll do then is unequip one of the level 4 white gems I'm currently using, combine with the two I have ready to go to make a level 5 white gem, and then I'll re-equip it back onto the gear that I took it off of. So I keep all my gear with the best gems possible, but I also use those gems to upgrade to the next level when I have two other gems necessary for the upgrade.

Last edited by SmoothPancakes; 10-15-2017 at 08:18 PM.

Thanks. Going to have to get used to this.

I’m just juggling too many games. Just made it to Act 2.

Yeah, unfortunately I haven't been on Shadow of War since last weekend. I've been busy with South Park: Stick of Truth and now currently South Park: The Fractured But Whole since Monday. And it isn't going to get much better with the new Assassin's Creed coming out on a week.

God wish these games would be more spread out over the year instead of bunched up right before Christmas. I'll go half the year not buying a game because nothing interesting tends to be released between March and August. Then everything I want ends up cramed into a release window of September to mid November, leaving me with a stack of unplayed games while I try to catch up.

Hell, I still haven't even unwrapped Fallout 4 GOTY for PS4 and that was delivered almost exactly a month ago.

Last edited by SmoothPancakes; 10-22-2017 at 06:00 PM.

The summer definitely needs more games. Not sure why everyone crams releases into October.

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    Yeah, if you're gonna play the first one, I'd definitely recommend a breather period in between before starting this one. It would be very easy to end up burnt out on this game.

I think I just beat the 1st one's story. Gameplay was solid but the story I just could not follow. Oddly, it was one of the least satisfying final boss fights ever. I climb a tower, there is a long cut scene then a few QTEs and I defeated the hand (or whatever he was called). Save file says I'm only 50% completed though and it mentioned something about something new to do after completing the story?

The story was done there but maybe you had side missions or DLC?

The first game got too easy down the stretch and had no difficulty level options. The final boss fight was definitely bad, especially compared to the halfway point boss battle.