Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Middle-Earth: Shadow of War

• Facebook
  • Display

Middle-Earth: Shadow of War

A leaked listing showed up on Target's international website recently, apparently revealing the sequel to Shadow of Mordor, with a supposed August 22 release date for this year, according to GameSpot.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Sweet! I hope they add different classes of fighters to the game and more lore. A bigger map and a difficulty level to make it harder would be nice.
    Last edited by Rudy; 02-26-2017 at 08:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    Sweet! I hope they add different classes of fighters to the game and more lore. A bigger map and a difficulty level to make it harder would be nice.
    You may get your wish! From the details on the Target listing:

"Go behind enemy lines to forge your army, conquer Fortresses, and dominate Mordor from within," it reads. "Experience how the award-winning Nemesis System creates unique personal stories with every enemy and follower, and confront the full power of the Dark Lord Sauron and his Ringwraiths in this epic new story of Middle-earth."

The listing also shows a Gold Edition, with numerous expansions:

In addition to the standard version of the game, a Gold Edition will also apparently be available. Here's what that includes, based on the description:

- Slaughter Tribe Nemesis Expansion
    - Outlaw Tribe Nemesis Expansion
    - The Blade of Galadriel Story Expansion
    - The Desolation of Mordor Story Expansion
    - Gold War Chest
    Over $125 in total value

The two Nemesis expansions feature "a new Orc Tribe featuring new enemies, followers, missions, abilities, weapons, Fortress, and wilderness updates, and a Mythic Gear Set."

The story expansions, meanwhile, have "a new campaign, playable character, and abilities, side missions, enemies, allies, and more."

The Gold Edition page also reveals slightly more about the game itself, teasing the ability to "[f]orge a new Ring of Power, conquer Fortresses in massive battles, and dominate Mordor with your personal Orc army."

Needless to say, I enjoyed the hell out of Shadow of Mordor, buying it on the PS4 and I can't remember if it was part of Games with Gold or I got it ridiculously cheap during a sale, but I also got it for Xbox One.

Whenever this does end up being released, it's a day one buy for me! I'm looking forward to diving back into the Nemesis system, hopefully with updates and additions to it.

If it really is going to release on August 22 this year, we should have an official announcement by E3 at the latest, if they don't come out and announce it before then due to this leak by Target.

The Nemesis system was great. Really added some personality to the orcs and my desire for revenge. I still remember the first guy that gave me a lot of trouble.

I figured they had to have a sequel coming out soon due to their Pro support patch for the original. Why go to the trouble of doing that unless it's a form or marketing for the sequel? Smart idea.

And it is officially announced!

Middle-Earth: Shadow of War will be releasing August 25, 2017.

There will be an official gameplay reveal on March 8th.

The graphics look really good.

Nemesis system expanded to Fortress battles with Overlords. You can use spies and also has followers, not just enemies. There are orc tribes now. One region in the game is bigger than both regions in the first game. Not sure how many regions this game will have but each region has a fortress. And you can fly a dragon apparently.

http://mashable.com/2017/03/08/shado...k#AWmnIoQz9kqG
    Last edited by Rudy; 03-08-2017 at 04:03 PM.

Finally watched the full video. That video show cased a lot of the unlocked type abilities from the first game. I think some of the wraith abilities, while cool, are over powered (shadow strike stuff). It was neat to see you could shoot in slow motion as you jump down from buildings. Some of the combat looked scripted. The executions seem extra brutal this time.

I think this game is a lot more advanced than the first game. I'm not sure how many of the abilities you can upgrade but you can upgrade your armour. Having your own army to advance, promote and be a part of the Nemesis system is cool but I think they missed the boat here. I'd have preferred you fighting with human allies and maybe using some orc spies. But aligning and using orc armies in this battle doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Why not use Rohan or Gondor as allies? I was hoping for more LOTR lore in this. Still feels like a fun, medieval, action game that has Mordor/LOTR slapped on.

Good q & a here. https://twitter.com/gamespot/status/840547884353388544

Runes are gone and replaced by gear now. Very big with lots of main and side stories.

This got delayed until early October. It was supposed to release alongside Madden. That was going to help me avoid Madden this year.

Man, this game seems so much harder and tougher than the first one. I'm still only in Act I, but damn, the captains are much more varied this time around, different skill sets each requiring vastly different approaches in fighting. Also a lot harder to kill. I've already died two or three times from fighting captains.

Played an hour tonight and decent story to start. I thought I read you got a lot of abilities at the start but you don’t. You have to earn everything all over again. One skill was new. Very much the feel of the old game so that could be good or bad if you loved the last game vs got burned out on it. I think the graphics have been improved and the colours aren’t quite as drab.

I’ve only killed the first captain. At least there are three difficulty levels. Looks like the rpg elements for upgrades will be huge.
    Last edited by Rudy; 10-10-2017 at 07:39 PM.

Considering I played through the first game on both PS4 and Xbox One, oh yeah, I enjoyed the hell out of that game.

This one though is much deeper. More skills, upgrades of the skills (mini skills if you want to call them), armor and cloak equipment in addition to the sword, bow and dagger. New things called gems that can be used to upgrade your weapons and increase your damage, your health, the damage of your followers, etc.

There are challenges to achieve to upgrade your gear. All gear have different perks to them, so the best stat (melee attack for swords for instance) may not necessarily be the best weapon if there's one that is slightly lower attack, but much better perks.

Then the amount of quests. You've got Gondor quests, Shelob quests, four other quests chains that I don't even have access to yet, you've got nemesis missions, Shadows of thr Past, which let you learn more about Celebrimbor's history and story and get some rewards for completing the objectives (mirian for one objective, skill points for completing two and either gems or gear for completing all three objectives). There's Shelob memories to collect to learn more about the claims she's telling you, Ithildin to collect to unlock the Ithildin door in region for some high level gear, and Gondorian artifacts.

Also, it might just be me, but it seems like there are a LOT more captains than the last game. I can barely go anywhere without running into at least one randomly. And one spot in Minas Ithil, I somehow ended up in a fight with three different bloody captains.

And you have to strategize your fights much more this time. There are multiple new orc tribes and tons of variations of orcs and captains, all of which require different strategies. Also you can now be ambushed. I was just standing on a ledge while typing this, all of a sudden a captain appeared out of nowhere behind me and ambushed me.

So at its base, it's very much like the first game, but this one is SOOOOOO much deeper and has some serious RPG depth to it, far much more than the first one. And the amount of options alone for skills allows you to truly customize and tailor your Talion to your own tastes and skills. Right now, the way I've built my Talion out through level 7, I doubt there's another person with the exact same order of skill unlocks that I've chosen thus far.

Last edited by SmoothPancakes; 10-10-2017 at 10:51 PM.

Made it up to level 13 before I called it a night. I'm starting to get my fighting skills back and have been holding my own much better. Still another death or two, usually against some high level captains who have just the right set of skills to make it very difficult for me to kill them.

That and I keep getting outnumbered. One captain I started fighting, only to have a nemesis I had formerly killed decide to make a reappearance right then, followed not long after by a third captain who must have been nearby and I wandered too close to while fighting the first two captains, so suddenly I'm swarmed by multiple captains, all of which require a different fighting approach, along with probably a one or two dozen grunt orcs following the big guys. You can very quickly get in over your head.

Granted, it helps me in fights against captains that while I'm only level 13, I have somewhere around 22 or 23 skills unlocked thanks to hunting down all Gondor artifacts and Shelob memories in Minas Ithil and Cirith Ungol, both of which give you 1 skill point for finding all of each memory or artifact in each new region, along with some extra skill points gained via other tasks and missions.

Last edited by SmoothPancakes; 10-11-2017 at 03:18 AM.

Looking back through this thread, you go your wishes Rudy.

- A number of new classes and much tougher enemies which have been challenging me and whooping my ass on normal difficulty.

- Three difficulty levels: story mode, which is essentially super weak, super easy orcs so you can just play and experience the story, normal mode and hard mode (I can't remember if those are the actual names or different for the modes).

- And the map is huge! Just the individual regions alone are big (Minas Ithil and Cirith Ungol are the only regions I've visited so far, though there are at least two more currently visible on the world map and I have a feeling many many more hidden from view based on the absurdly massive size of the world map in entirety when zoomed out), at least on par with the first game, if not bigger than the first game's map, and that's for every region, with a bare minimum of four regions/locations to visit and very likely 3 to 7 or even more regions/locations to be discovered during the story.

I haven’t quite played two hours yet. I’m low leveled and killed by a graug and a level 11 captain. There is a lot of stuff in the game. A bit overwhelming right now.

I do think Tallion looks quite a bit better and so do the textures. I wish there was a way to jog in this game lol. After playing other games the movement (and being the X button) takes some getting used to. You either walk at a very slow pace or run around like a crazy person.

I need to finish the 1st one before getting this bad boy likely for christmas.

I wouldn't recommend playing the games back to back though. You would suffer from game fatigue as they aren't just 10-15 hour games. I spent over 40 hours on the first one and I beat that a second time too.