Thread: Stardew Valley (PC, PS4, XB1 and eventually Switch)

• Facebook
  • Display

Stardew Valley (PC, PS4, XB1 and eventually Switch)

Anyone else playing Stardew Valley? Came out on the PC early last year and was released last month on consoles. I have 15 or so hours in and have barely scratched the surface. There are so many ways you can play the game and outside of being judged after the second year, you can go on farming, mining, savaging and romancing till the cows come home. Get married, have kids, get divorced or wipe their memory. Tired of the kids, for a price you can turn them to doves and be gone from the farm forever.

It is a farming/love/mining simulator that pretty much copies the Harvest Moon formula. Only this one was made by one guy. It borrows from Minecraft and Terraria. The instructions on what to do are basically, "go find a wiki because no tutorial in the world is going to cover what lies ahead." It is a serious grind as everything you buy is a bit overpriced and mistakes you make will be numerous, costing you a bunch of money. The land itself is not that big and a few areas can be unlocked but the amount of things to do within the combined space is simply mind boggling. The mini-fishing games is quite fun yet frustrating at first and while fishing is optional there are numerous reasons to level up in this area. If you are a completionist there are well over a couple hundred hours ahead and a few more just viewing online guides to figure out what to do/not to do. I played it blind going in and it has cost me. You can grow animals and barns and silos but to do so early on is far too expensive to feed. Had to restart and get some tips on the best way to start the first two seasons and it has made a world of difference. Mining and Fishing with a focus on crops seems the safest route. Holding off on building relationships because they all like pretty shinny things that are better spent on building up the farm. Just getting a kitchen add on is a pain due to the price but in the long run you save a bunch of money making your own food with the ingredients than buying dishes at the local pub to refill your energy, which is in very short supply (provided you do not have consumables to raise it back up). Even fishing requires some energy so you can't sit and fish all day, without having consumables. At first I did not like how little energy you have but once you are in a week or so it makes sense and forces you to prioritize every action. There is one tool that uses no energy that allows you to run around chopping weeds, collecting fiber to sell while you look for special plants to sell or worms to dig up to uncover treasures. During the four season you will grow different crops, catch different fish and find special plants and items limited to the time of the season. No crops in the winter so you have downtime from growing to focus all the other things to do.

I am not even mentioning a couple of extremely big parts of the game to avoid spoilers. The fact that one guy made all is this is beyond me. He put everything he had into this game and deserves every penny that comes his way.

How many one man made indie games have their on Guide for sale, in Hardcover no less (200+ pages)? Just look at the images to see how much there is to do in that game.

I am. I love it. I think I made some posts about it in the random video game thread.

It's addicting. I like how there are constant goals instead of mindless wandering, but you can mindlessly wander if you want too.

Also love the different town celebrations too.

It made a lot of year end best of lists and looked good to me and glad I got it.
    The dude abides.

My kids like both Minecraft and Terraria. I'm guessing they would like this. Really wish I hadn't bought Dragon Quest Builders for my daughter. Did not get my monies worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    My kids like both Minecraft and Terraria. I'm guessing they would like this. Really wish I hadn't bought Dragon Quest Builders for my daughter. Did not get my monies worth.
    I have no doubt they would. There are some very small bits of maturish content. Alcohol and some trippy scenes but it is still rated E for everyone. Only $14.99 and worth every penny. Also there is Pam in the trailer. Poor Pam has some serious issues holding her booze.

JB, I can assume you are not going for the Platinum with this one? I plan to spend a ton of time with it but do not see coming close to 100%. Not to mention I love the concept of the community center and do not plan on getting the Joja Co membership, which is one of the achievements after you purchase all the perks.

Quote Originally Posted by bdoughty View Post
    I have no doubt they would. There are some very small bits of maturish content. Alcohol and some trippy scenes but it is still rated E for everyone. Only $14.99 and worth every penny. Also there is Pam in the trailer. Poor Pam has some serious issues holding her booze.

JB, I can assume you are not going for the Platinum with this one? I plan to spend a ton of time with it but do not see coming close to 100%. Not to mention I love the concept of the community center and do not plan on getting the Joja Co membership, which is one of the achievements after you purchase all the perks.
    I dunno. We'll see. I don't really "go" for the plat on games, but if it is an enjoyable game and within reach I'll grind it out. Wish Hitman had one because I've played the shit out of that lately.

As for this game, man it's so fun. Fishing was not bad at first thing I got in a rut where it was a bitch, but now I'm used to it.

I'm still in the spring, not sure how many weeks before it shifts, but I gotta be getting close to Summer, I think I'm on week 24 or something.

I bought the Joja Light thinking it was the diet cola and it was a machine for $500.....nope, it's a light you hang on the wall

So it seems like crops are the way to get the most money right?
    The dude abides.

Each season lasts 28 days. Remember that crops planted too late will die off when the next season hits. I just made it to Fall and crops have been a good source of income but I really dove into the mining (already reached the bottom level) and you can really rack up the money selling the higher value gems as you progress down. Fishing is good way to make some cash if you are consistently catching them. It also helps to upgrade the fishing poll so you can start using bait on it to increase the speed at which they will bite.

I put an emphasis on upgrading the Axe and Pickaxe (both are steel) which allows you to unlock a couple areas. Can't be without water so the Water Bucket will have to wait until Winter. Purchased the Kitchen for the house, which I really jumped the gun on since you need animals/produce to make most food recipes. Hope to have extra money to start raising some animals by Winter.

Slight spoiler regarding the Community Center activities that will save you a bunch of time running around to the same places.

Spoiler: show
    Go after the Boiler Room Reward ASAP (it will show up after you complete a few bundles in the Craft Room) - This enables fast travel to the bus station, mines and blacksmith.

Quote Originally Posted by bdoughty View Post
    Each season lasts 28 days. Remember that crops planted too late will die off when the next season hits. I just made it to Fall and crops have been a good source of income but I really dove into the mining (already reached the bottom level) and you can really rack up the money selling the higher value gems as you progress down. Fishing is good way to make some cash if you are consistently catching them. It also helps to upgrade the fishing poll so you can start using bait on it to increase the speed at which they will bite.

I put an emphasis on upgrading the Axe and Pickaxe (both are steel) which allows you to unlock a couple areas. Can't be without water so the Water Bucket will have to wait until Winter. Purchased the Kitchen for the house, which I really jumped the gun on since you need animals/produce to make most food recipes. Hope to have extra money to start raising some animals by Winter.

Slight spoiler regarding the Community Center activities that will save you a bunch of time running around to the same places.

Spoiler: show
    Go after the Boiler Room Reward ASAP (it will show up after you complete a few bundles in the Craft Room) - This enables fast travel to the bus station, mines and blacksmith.
    Working towards getting enough dough for a coop right now before Summer hits. IIRC, I got enough and that is the next thing I do when I fire up the game.
    The dude abides.

Quote Originally Posted by JBHuskers View Post
    Working towards getting enough dough for a coop right now before Summer hits. IIRC, I got enough and that is the next thing I do when I fire up the game.
    Highly recommend going with the Silo first. That way you can collect a bunch of hay and not be forced to buy it, which is not cheap.

The game is getting a retail release:

http://www.polygon.com/2017/2/3/1449...e-ps4-xbox-one
    The dude abides.