Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2016-17 College Basketball Discussion Thread

• Facebook
  • Display
    Quote Originally Posted by morsdraconis View Post
    WVU makes the #1 and undefeated team in the nation, Baylor, look like an unranked crap team with an 89-68 win at home. WVU forced 29 turnovers, the most by a major conference team so far in the year. Have high hopes for this team. Their press is ridiculous this year.
    and the plucky sub .500 Oklahoma Sooners wander into Morgantown as huge underdogs. Coming back from what should have been an insurmountable lead, OU takes the mighty West Virgina to overtime and comes away with a victory, special thanks to Jordan Woodard (he more than made up for the missed FT that would have won it in regulation).

Oh, somewhere in this favored land a couch is burning bright,
    The band is playing Boomer Sooner, and somewhere Huggs feels plight;
    And somewhere I am laughing, and somewhere Mors will shout,
    But there is no joy in Morgantown—the mighty Mountaineers have struck out.
    Last edited by bdoughty; 01-19-2017 at 08:09 AM.

What do you know, another week, and Grayson Allen shows up in my notifications again. Apparently he broke or dislocated a finger today after hitting a Miami player in the face while contesting a rebound.

I'd say it's a case of Karma finally deciding that today is Allen's day to take it up the ass after how he's acted all season.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Jeez, Grayson Allen couldn't even go two days without showing up in my notifications again.

Congrats to St. Bonaventure fans for storming the court and costing their team a win.

Another Oklahoma team (Okie Light) goes into Morgantown and brings back a win to the Sooner State. The same West Virginia that lost to Kansas St and then beats Kansas. I can see West Virginia being the victim of a bracket buster with how inconsistent they are, especially against inferior teams.

Experimental rules approved for 2017 NIT

The NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel has approved experimental rules that will reset team fouls to zero at the end of 10-minute segments of each half in the upcoming 2017 NIT postseason tournament.

The panel also approved experimental rules that will reset the shot clock to 20 seconds instead of 30 seconds at times when the ball is inbounded in the front court during games in the NIT.

Grayson Allen at it again. With a head-flop to boot.

Jay Bilas almost as unbiased on the call as Dick Vitale would have been. Doooooooooooooooook!

North Carolina wins, thanks Karma.

Indiana fires Tom Crean. With high expectations, it will be a interesting hire.

Oklahoma State loses Brad Underwood to Illinois after one year on the job and less than 24 hours after their NCAA tournament loss.

Great story here on how (most of) it went down.

Indiana hires Dayton's Archie Miller to a seven year deal.

This news could go on for a while and bring down more coaches & programs. Louisville/Pitino have to be sweating (again)...

NEW YORK -- Four assistant basketball coaches from Arizona, Auburn, Oklahoma State and Southern California were among those arrested on federal corruption charges Tuesday after they were caught taking thousands of dollars in bribes to steer NBA-destined college stars toward certain sports agents and financial advisers, authorities said.

The coaches named in court documents are Auburn's Chuck Person, Oklahoma State's Lamont Evans, Arizona's Emanuel "Book" Richardson and USC's Tony Bland. It was not immediately clear who would represent them at initial court appearances.

Also charged in Manhattan federal court were managers, financial advisers and representatives of a major international sportswear company.

Auburn said in a statement that Person is suspended without pay effective immediately. "This morning's news is shocking. ... We are committed to playing by the rules, and that's what we expect from our coaches," the statement said.

NCAA spokeswoman Gail Dent, when asked for a statement from the NCAA, said, "Nothing on this end. We'll let you know if that changes."

Other people named in the documents include:

James Gatto, director of global sports marketing at Adidas;

Merl Code, who recently left Nike for Adidas;

Christian Dawkins, an NBA agent who was fired in May from ASM Sports for charging approximately $42,000 in Uber charges on a player's credit card;

Jonathan Brad Augustine, president of The League Initiative and program director of the Adidas-sponsored 1 Family AAU program;

Munish Sood, a financial adviser;

Rashan Michel, a former NBA official who founded Thompson Bespoke Clothing, a custom clothier for athletes.

The FBI complaint against Gatto and others also includes a reference to a "public research university located in Kentucky," and University of Louisville interim president Gregory Postel confirmed in a statement it is the school mentioned.

Rick's days are numbered at However, I doubt the Cards get a death penalty. If Pedophile State University can practically skate for knowingly allowing children to be raped, UNC can/will skate for creating bogus "classes" the NCAA has lost complete control and has no teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
    Rick's days are numbered at However, I doubt the Cards get a death penalty. If Pedophile State University can practically skate for knowingly allowing children to be raped, UNC can/will skate for creating bogus "classes" the NCAA has lost complete control and has no teeth.
    Pedo St was bad but Baylor is the true litmus test of the NCAA and the death penalty. Basketball alone would be gold standard for lack of institutional control. The cheating scandal in the late 90's. Someone was actually murdered at Waco by his own teammate and the coverup. Followed by the rape scandal.

Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
    I think coaches (schools?) have realized there is no need to fear the NCAA, so that's why they engage in such behaviors as this - and as they did at Baylor and Penn State and so on. Even if the NCAA cracks down, the school/current players take more of the punishment than the actual offending parties. Maybe the feds getting involved will help end this in college basketball (and football too, hopefully) and help level the playing field since it really screws over the programs playing by the rules.

Kind of disappointed though (sarcasm here) that Nebraska is supposedly one of the top adidas programs but it's clear they didn't help us land any big recruits in basketball.

Jesus, this just keeps getting bigger. Now an associate AD at Alabama is out, and a coach at Miami is being looked into. There are at least 7 or 8 schools now tied up in this. God only knows how many more there may be waiting to be brought to light.

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    Jesus, this just keeps getting bigger. Now an associate AD at Alabama is out, and a coach at Miami is being looked into. There are at least 7 or 8 schools now tied up in this. God only knows how many more there may be waiting to be brought to light.

Yeah this is going to keep getting bigger too. From what I read the Feds just subpoenaed Nike's EYBL which is just as big (if not bigger) cesspool than Adidas was running. The 1st wave of defendants are all as guilty as hell (apparently there are undercover tapes and they used FBI money for these deals) so they will undoubtedly cut deals and "rat" out "bigger fish".

Stick a fork in Pitino. He's Coach 2 in the FBI documents, said to have played a role in getting Adidas executive Jim Gatto to send $100,000 to the family of 5 star recruit Brian Bowen.

Jay Bilas, pay the kids.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...blems-continue

Brilliant Jay, now of course you pay college basketball players you will have to pay every athlete in every sport. Congrats on those 500% tuition hikes for everyone else. If a kid does not want an education and/or are going to leave for the draft after a year, have them go play D-League for a year.

I'm one of the rare non-fans of Bilas. I think a lot of what he says is a shtick for attention and what he feels will make him popular. At least Ed Cunningham took his self-righteous self out of broadcasting when he felt the players were hurting themselves in football (CTE). Bilas cries the players are getting exploited and need paid, yet he makes quite the living broadcasting their games. Hypocritical. (And that doesn't even include the economic illiteracy he spouts of 'just pay the players' and how that would shutter a lot of sports and programs, as you mention, bdoughty.)

Quote Originally Posted by bdoughty View Post
    Jay Bilas, pay the kids.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...blems-continue

Brilliant Jay, now of course you pay college basketball players you will have to pay every athlete in every sport. Congrats on those 500% tuition hikes for everyone else. If a kid does not want an education and/or are going to leave for the draft after a year, have them go play D-League for a year.
    Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
    I'm one of the rare non-fans of Bilas. I think a lot of what he says is a shtick for attention and what he feels will make him popular. At least Ed Cunningham took his self-righteous self out of broadcasting when he felt the players were hurting themselves in football (CTE). Bilas cries the players are getting exploited and need paid, yet he makes quite the living broadcasting their games. Hypocritical. (And that doesn't even include the economic illiteracy he spouts of 'just pay the players' and how that would shutter a lot of sports and programs, as you mention, bdoughty.)
    Yeah knew it was only a matter of time before Bilas and the self-proclaimed world wide leader in sports started the pay em cries again.

I've seen 's and facilities and in addition to getting a free education they have world class training/medical facilities, chefs to cook them unlimited meals etc.... the notion that these kids are starving to death is nothing but a bunch of BS.