Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: College Football 2016 - Week 10

• Facebook
  • Display

College Football 2016 - Week 10

Yes, it's here, football goes 7 days a week! The MAC goes midweek and we get 5 days of college action.

Will Oklahoma get embarrassed by Iowa State? Will Navy bend over Notre Dame? Will Army finally knock off Air Force? Will little brother Michigan State suck against Illinois? Will Northwestern shock Wisconsin? Who will take over as the top team in Texas between TCU and Baylor? Can Washington State keep it going at Arizona? Will West Virginia recover against Kansas? Who wins the battle between Alabama and LSU? Can Ohio State down Nebraska? Can Washington stay on track at California in Pac-12 After Dark?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    Man, if WVU doesn't rebound against the shit show that is Kansas football, I will be done with watching college football for the year.

A Thursday Night game in Ames?

Iowa St is 1-7!

Go Navy, beat the Irish!
    Go LSU, beat Bama!
    Go Nebraska, beat Ohio St!
    Go Texas Tech, beat Texas!
    Go TCU, beat Baylor!

Quote Originally Posted by bdoughty View Post
    A Thursday Night game in Ames?

Iowa St is 1-7!

Go Navy, beat the Irish!
    Go LSU, beat Bama!
    Go Nebraska, beat Ohio St!
    Go Texas Tech, beat Texas!
    Go TCU, beat Baylor!

The foul stench that is SEC Bias.

How does Washington not get the 4 spot? Not that it really matters as the SEC "should" work itself out to one team but still. A&M?

10. Nebraska
    14. Oklahoma
    15. Colorado
    18. Oklahoma St

Ah yes, back to sucking the SEC's cock like a crack whore in need of money for her next fix.

Oklahoma's leading rusher Joe Mixon has been suspended for this week's game for violation of team rules. Iowa State for the upset!

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothPancakes View Post
    Oklahoma's leading rusher Joe Mixon has been suspended for this week's game for violation of team rules. Iowa State for the upset!
    Parking Wars Norman. Apparently he tried to do something to a parking attendant? Anyway, since the forward pass is still a legal offensive play, pretty sure we are still safe.

Big Ten to have Friday Night games.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...102-story.html

The league’s new television agreements with ESPN/ABC and Fox will include a package of six prime-time Friday games starting in 2017, Commissioner Jim Delany told the Tribune on Wednesday.

The selected games will be revealed this week, as early as Wednesday afternoon.

Delany said the league is reluctant to ask schools with giant seating capacities to host Friday night games, so don’t expect games to be played at Ohio State or Penn State.

And Michigan is flat-out saying no to Friday night games, both home and road
    . Delany said he believes the school simply prefers Saturday games for “consistency of presentation.”

Delany said there will be three conference games and three non-league games in September and October. No team will play more than twice.

Yeah, this is a really good idea. Leave Friday night for High School football.

Eh, it's a whole whopping 6 games a season. It's not like it's going to be an every week for the entire season thing. Besides, the Pac-12, Mountain West, MAC, a couple Big 12 teams, ACC, American, C-USA and some individual SEC teams already play Friday night games through the season.

The Big Ten having a whopping SIX games a SEASON, played solely in September and October, only 3 of the 6 even being conference games, is not the sign of the coming apocalypse some are making it out to be.

High school football will still be there for those that want to get off the couch and go watch it. I haven't gone to a game in almost 10 years so - yeah.

I'm never butt-hurt over having more options.

Also, there are about 15 HS football games on Saturdays in Houston every week. I've never heard anyone get mad that they are infringing on college football's day.

Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
    Also, there are about 15 HS football games on Saturdays in Houston every week. I've never heard anyone get mad that they are infringing on college football's day.
    Because most Saturday and Thursday night High School games are done out of necessity, since most schools do not have an on-campus football field used to host Varsity games (we all had on-campus fields but they were limited to JV/Sophomore/Jr High games). Back in the late 1980's we had 6 teams in Lubbock that shared one field. So three teams were away and home games were played on Thursday, Friday and Saturday between the other three. Just did a quick search in Max Preps and the same holds true today for Lubbock Schools.

Why would you be opposed to being able to watch a game you might not be able to watch if it were crammed in amongst all the other games on Saturday?

With the DVR you are really not missing anything these days. I am a traditionalist. Friday is for High School Football. Most of the big boys in the Big Ten are already saying no thank you. So the quality of the games being played on Friday is already watered down with no Michigan Penn St and Ohio St. I could see Iowa and Nebraska joining the no club.

High school football will still be there for those that want to get off the couch and go watch it. I haven't gone to a game in almost 10 years so - yeah.

I'm never butt-hurt over having more options.
    Yep, I haven't been to a HS game since I played my last HS game back in 2005. I live in a town of 16,500, maybe 1,000, 1,500 people go to the games on Friday nights. Sure, every school hopes to have large crowds, but lets face it, high school football is not the be all, end all event on Fridays.

And why stop with just college football? Lets ban Major League Baseball from playing on Fridays in September and October, especially the playoffs and World Series. How dare they play the World Series on Fridays when its the night for HS football. Having 15 MLB games certainly draw more fans away from local high schools games in those cities than 3 or 4 college football games spread around the nation. Lets not forget 10-15 NBA and NHL games every Friday night come October.
    Yep, there are always a number of Saturday HS games here in Ohio, that are intentionally scheduled on Saturdays because some teams prefer to play their games on Saturdays, even some on Thursdays. There are a couple teams that even play all or as many of their games (primarily home games as they can control those) as they can on Thursdays or Saturdays all season long even.
    Because most Saturday and Thursday night High School games are done out of necessity, since most schools do not have an on-campus football field used to host Varsity games (we all had on-campus fields but they were limited to JV/Sophomore/Jr High games). Back in the late 1980's we had 6 teams in Lubbock that shared one field. So three teams were away and home games were played on Thursday, Friday and Saturday between the other three. Just did a quick search in Max Preps and the same holds true today for Lubbock Schools.
    Not here in Ohio and large portions of the midwest (where these Big Ten games would be affecting HS games). In Ohio, there may be a tiny percentage of schools that don't have their own stadium or share a field with a neighboring school (Fremont Ross and Fremont St. Joseph schools is one that comes to mind), but the extremely overwhelming majority of schools in Ohio have their own football stadiums.

Hell, a team one county over from me, a team I used to play against in the same conference as the school I went to, their school is so goddamn small they're lucky if they ever have more than 20 players on the entire team some years, they have their own damn stadium!

There are dozens of stadiums in Ohio that are owned by a single school district, that a single HS football team calls home and plays on 5 weeks a year during the regular season (and sits dark and empty the other 5 weeks when that team is on the road) that seat 8,000, 10,000, 12,000 people. Hell, there are a couple stadiums that are owned by public school districts, only used by one, maybe two HS teams at most, that can seat as many as 20,000 to 22,000 people.

And yet every week of the season, there are HS teams who intentionally schedule their homes games on Thursday and Saturday nights, because those are the nights they prefer to play.

I mean, seriously, a Friday night Purdue at Illinois or Rutgers at Minnesota or Indiana at Florida International game is not going to destroy high school football as the world knows it. I don't hear anyone crying about Stanford and Washington playing on a Friday night, or South Florida-Temple, South Florida-Navy, Wyoming-Boise State, Louisville-Syracuse, Baylor-SMU, Boston College-Florida State, Memphis-Cincinnati, or the 11 games on Friday, September 2nd (when high school games were in full swing nationwide). Apparently it being Labor Day weekend makes it alright for colleges to play on that Friday night, the exact same night as high schools nationwide are playing.

Or how about the 14 games the Friday after Thanksgiving? There are still playoff games being played here in Ohio. They are playing the state semifinals that weekend. Thanks Buffalo-Bowling Green, Northern Illinois-Kent State, Toledo-Western Michigan, must see on TV games Washington-Washington State, Nebraska-Iowa, Houston-Memphis and Boise State-Air Force, thanks for playing on Friday and keeping those tens of thousands that would be at those high school games home watching college football instead!

Yeah, I think HS football will survive juuuust fine with the Big Ten playing a whole whopping 6 games a season on Friday night. The Big Ten and pretty much the SEC officially (though SEC teams have played Friday non-conference games this year) are literally the last two conferences to either just start to or still not play conference scheduled Friday night games. Every single other conference already does so, but because the Big Ten announces that they'll now play a whole whopping earth shattering 6 games a season on a Friday night, it's suddenly doom and gloom and the death of HS football across the entire nation! What bullshit.

Last edited by SmoothPancakes; 11-02-2016 at 10:08 PM.

Now, I don't want to get off on a rant here... Dennis Miller would be proud. Still did not sway my opinion on the issue but fine effort ol chap.

Hot Take: I also dislike Defensive Linemen that wear single digit numbers on their uniforms. Take me to task Stephen A.

With the DVR you are really not missing anything these days.
    Cool. That means you can still go watch the high school game and then watch the college game on your DVR when you get home.

Navy wins! Navy wins! Navy fucking wins!

Oh fuck, I think I'm having a coronary. I was completely stressed about the most one can be stressed out while watching that last drive of the game.

With only a one point lead, I did NOT what Navy's defense to have to save the win. What a pass on third down to seal it. My fucking God, Navy wins!

Fuck me, I gotta have a drink!