Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Nintendo Switch

• Facebook
  • Display
    You can play Zelda on the Wii U without having to buy an expensive console.

Why I think both Rudy and Mors have valid points, I lean more towards Mors direction for several reasons.

1) Making the exact same thing as the Microsoft and Sony wouldn't differentiate it enough from its competitors. In November when the new CoD comes out, no one would be the Nintendo version if it were just a PS4 clone.
    2) While it may be underpowered, it seems to have a lot of tech in it. The HD rumble in the Joy-Cons seems ridiculous.
    3) If the Switch were comparatively powered, the battery would last 10 minutes. From what I've seen, the games still look incredibly good considering the engine under the hood.
    4) That Zelda looks great but that Mario looks to be fantastic!
    5) I'm all in on Splatoon 2, Xenoblade 2 and Fire Emblem Warriors (It's a Dynasty Warriors game in the Fire Emblem universe similar to Hyrule Warriors, cdj). And I know a mainline Fire Emblem will be released eventually as well as a new Animal Crossing. Add in the Zelda and Mario and that's 7 games already I've essentially bought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the concept but the price is way too high. It's $399 in Canada and more expensive than a PS4 or Xbox one. And there are very few launch games. Since it's underpowered the ports will be PS3 ports or none at all. I think it's $100 over priced at minimum.

This is just going to be the WiiU all over again, with the option of playing games in handheld form. It will have third party support for a year or so and then slowly die away. The games at launch are slim and in true Nintendo form will release first party games at a glacial speed. Nintendo fans will be happy to play Zelda and then depressed until Mario arrives, rinse and repeat for the next few years.

The FIFA game is a "custom build" which really just means ported from the last gen (PS3/360). They will have it on the Switch for a year and maybe one year of Madden and then no more sports games from EA when they realize this stuff still does not sell on Nintendo systems because everything is downgraded. NBA 2K18 will also be a bust and end any sports game support

https://twitter.com/petermooreEA/sta...42981793071107

Accessories are way overpriced. The joy-con controllers are $50 for one side or $80 for a bundle of the left and right. Pro Controller is $70. The docking station is $90 (one is included, needed if you want a station for multiple TV's). Plus you have to pay for an online service, starting in the Fall.

There is much negativity about the system, the price and lack of games. It will sell fine early because there are enough Nintendo fans to do so but they can only help so much. This will not be the second coming of the Wii. The Wii was cheap and had something new with the waggle that brought in the casuals. This system will not fare well with casuals.
    Last edited by bdoughty; 01-13-2017 at 06:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    So this under powered console is the same price as a PS4 bundle and more expensive than an Xbox 1? That's a lot of money for a handheld based system.

And the launch lineup is tiny and bad. Nintendo just seems so out of touch.
    I'm shocked at the price. $400 Cdn for this low power system is pretty extreme considering PS4 and XBOX1 alternatives.

When you subscribe to the Online Service (Price TBD) you get one free NES or SNES game a month. After that month you lose access to it and have to buy it.

Also online voice chat/lobbies will be handled through an an app you download to a phone. 2017 and it is not built into the system?

This is rivaling the stupidity that Microsoft was blasting out when the Xbox One was revealed.

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    Quote Originally Posted by bdoughty View Post
    When you subscribe to the Online Service (Price TBD) you get one free NES or SNES game a month. After that month you lose access to it and have to buy it.

Also online voice chat/lobbies will be handled through an an app you download to a phone. 2017 and it is not built into the system?

This is rivaling the stupidity that Microsoft was blasting out when the Xbox One was revealed.
    It's a portable system. Why wouldn't it make sense to have all of that built into your always connected to the internet cellphone? Makes it where you don't have to be in wifi to be able to play with people nearby and such. Also makes it where it's not a slave to the damn cellphone companies to pay an extra 40-50$ a month for 4G capabilities and shit.

Also, it's going to be NES and SNES classic games. Having the limited time access makes sense because if you don't play it in that month, you're not going to play it anyway. Most of those games take an hour or two to beat anyway. Sure, it's not ideal, but it's still free with the subscription, which you're going to want anyway to be able to play online and such.

And, for the record, I have preordered one. Knew I was going to preorder it well before the event the other night. The portability of something as powerful as it is AMAZING and the amount of technology built into the controllers is ridiculous. I'll gladly spend my $300 on it in a month and a half.

Extended cut of Nintendo Switch Super Bowl commercial:

Sounds like the subscription service will be somewhere between $18 and $27 a year.

http://www.polygon.com/2017/2/1/1447...-service-price
    The dude abides.

The launch day lineup gets even less impressive. Not that old games matter much, but they are such a Nintendo staple that this has to hurt a bit.

The launch lineup was one of the ugliest lineups I've ever seen. Especially since Zelda is available on the Wii U.

FLOP - nintendo should just make/sell software on Sony/MS/PC

It would also explain why online is free for the first few months....there's not much out there to get or use online for.

Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
    It would also explain why online is free for the first few months....there's not much out there to get or use online for.
    Pretty much the only game that would have serious online popularity early on is the Splatoon 2 limited time demo that everyone has access to in March and Mario Kart Deluxe 8 in April.

There is no doubt the launch is one of the weakest lineups in console history.
    Last edited by bdoughty; 02-23-2017 at 05:38 PM.

Launch lineup ain't great but let's be real, everyone is getting Zelda. Maybe 1-2 Switch too. You don't need a 10 games if there's 1 game that stands above all others.

Quote Originally Posted by souljahbill View Post
    Launch lineup ain't great but let's be real, everyone is getting Zelda. Maybe 1-2 Switch too. You don't need a 10 games if there's 1 game that stands above all others.

Won't Zelda be very similar on the Wii U? If so, why upgrade to the Switch if that's the one game people really want?

Pretty similar. The switch runs at 900p where the WiiU is only 720p. There is no framerate difference and the big graphical change is the Switch is brighter with slightly better textures. I would imagine a big reason to upgrade is the ability to play it in mobile form.

Quote Originally Posted by bdoughty View Post

Pretty similar. The switch runs at 900p where the WiiU is only 720p. There is no framerate difference and the big graphical change is the Switch is brighter with slightly better textures. I would imagine a big reason to upgrade is the ability to play it in mobile form.
    That plus a lot of people won't be upgrading from the Wii U because they don't own it.

Quote Originally Posted by souljahbill View Post
    That plus a lot of people won't be upgrading from the Wii U because they don't own it.
    Exactly and a big reason for this is Nintendo never dropped the price of the WiiU and just discontinued making them. Even refurbished models still sell for $200+.