Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Nintendo Switch

• Facebook
  • Display
    Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    Quote Originally Posted by bdoughty View Post
    One thing that I am finding a challenge in is going back and forth between the Joy-Con and the Xbox Controller. It's like gong back to the old DUKE controller on the original Xbox after a long playthrough of Zelda. The main mutton is the other issue. Sony and Xbox use the bottom one and Nintendo keeps sticking to the right button, which is fine but give the option to customize the control layout in all games. EA was a perfect example when FIFA started getting good again and made a custom controller configuration that was based off the default PES layout.
    It's US Sony's fault. They changed the confirmation button from O to X during the PS1 and it's become the norm in the US when it's the opposite in the country of origin for both the PS4 and all Nintendo products.

It was not the fault of US Sony, their popularity just helped push what Sega had been doing for years with A before B. The Dreamcast had (A) the bottom button/main button in every region. Nintendo is as stubborn a company as you will find. Show some love for the US/UK/EU as we make up the largest buying market for video games.

Also Sony allows the PS4 owner, no matter the country, to decide what they prefer.

Last edited by bdoughty; 03-10-2017 at 07:05 PM.

Did a lot of traveling around the Southern part of the map and then headed up North for one of the mini-quests, so I can start getting Ancient Armor. Pro Tip: When it rains be sure and unequip any weapons that conduct electricity. In certain areas you get lightning with rain. Game over if it hits you and it did me. The little things... Training my horse because they ride like Roach from Witcher 3 when you first tame one enough to mount it and I stop by an apple tree to gather some to make meals. I used and axe to chop the tree down and there were five apples on the ground. Horse casually walks over and eats one, giving me a boost in our training (horse kinda glows pink when he is happy with you).

I have put in 30-40 hours, barely touched most regions the map and 7 of the 100+ shrines. So many things to see and do, with all the little nuances along the way. Tons of puzzles, outside of the Shrines, including hidden ones all over the world (900 to be exact) finding Koroks which give you seeds to upgrade certain inventory slots. Sometimes they are hidden under a rock or you have to put a missing piece of the puzzle in place. Once I simply saw a pool of water and jumped in and found one. The magic effects are just as enjoyable when it comes to the different ways this game can be played (bombs, freezing water, magnetic, kinetic/stopping time) they all play parts in finding treasure and other things outside the shrines. Magnesis is the real blast. If there are a camp of enemies and you spot a metallic create, select Magnesis and you can start swinging the crate around killing enemies. Drop it from a high point and it breaks and gives you treasure of some sort, which saves your weapons from having to smash it.

So many little things. That is where the time sink is at. You look at the area and ponder the possibilities instead of just going to a point on the map. Also there is little to no hand holding. Most of the Side Missions and even some of the Main Missions are where they give you a task and tell you a location but unless you have discovered that area/place you are left to find it for yourself. Even tougher if you have not unlocked the tower for that region, which gives you a breakdown of the terrain and location names but nothing else. BOTW gives you the map and a bunch of pointer options to create your own course. What made me laugh was how when you first get off the plateau the top Main Mission is simply defeat FINAL BOSS. You can find FINAL BOSS off the plateau and be there in little to no time. Of course they give you an alternate main quest to go to a place where you will not die a thousand times before throwing your controller out the window. They are saying the world is yours, fight the boss whenever you seem fit. It is easily my favorite open world game by a long shot and I have barely scratched the surface.

So to the pictures. Beach, Forrest, Heavy Rain, a House I bought and upgraded and a mini-boss (there are a few different types and they can show up anywhere).

Spoiler: show

This guys video highlights some of the crazy stuff you can do with your powers and of course, a chicken.

Much adventure the past two days. Found my first diamond, finished the first "Dungeon" and killed the man-lion hybrid Lynel. Lynel's suck ass. I think I would rather fight Guardians. Now this might be a spoiler but to save anyone from making the mistake I did that had me firing up a new game about 10 hours into the first run
    DO NOT SELL ANYTHING THAT SAYS ANCIENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    There is an item that you can use with a bow to one shot Guardians if you hit them in a certain location and Lynel but they are not easy to come by early. I still sneak away when I see a Lynel roaming if I do not have this item on me. Now I am playing in the Snowy Mountains. Gotta hunt, hunt, hunt, because the fastest way making rupees is to sell the meat once you cook it.

Now to the screens.

----------

Link in Drag (because it was required), long glide to open a tower, the desert, the mountains and a loading screen which shows your stats each time (hearts, stamina, orbs on hand, shrines completed, korok seeds gathered, rupees and the elephant is one dungeon cleared. Now up to 30+ korok seeds out of 900 available. So many places to investigate.

To the pictures.

Random screens

More random stuff. I just unlocked the whole map by reaching each tower. It only gives you the terrain and named areas. I doubt I have touched 50% of the locations and this is well over 50 hours into it. To be fair I am doing a bunch of resource gathering and upgrading armor.

Dropped my JoyCon on the ground and the left analog stick is now broken, as you are not able to click down on it. Still usable but the Left Click is used to crouch in Zelda and it is a pretty necessary for numerous things. Somehow Walmart had still had 2 of the Pro Controllers in stick. Controller feels good, almost the same weight as the Xbox One and same stick positions. It has all the rumbles and motions controls of the JoyCon without the hand cramping. A 40 hour battery life is also really nice (double the JoyCon) and included was a USB-C to A cable that you can plug in from the back of the deck and easily recharge when needed.

So I looked at upcoming games and between now and Christmas there are two games I only care about remotely. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, which is a port and Mario which won't be out til the end of the year. "Maybe" at tax time next year I'll consider, but right now, there just isn't a need for me to get it.
    The dude abides.

Just got a patch that fixed most of the framerate issues when played docked. Still a stutter here and there but much better so far.

Mario Kart Deluxe details and videos popping up today.

copied this from Gaf

So firstly it obviously looks nicer, runs nicer, is 1080p as opposed to 720p, has all the DLC from the WiiU game included, etc. Also all courses, characters, etc., are unlocked from the beginning now.

New Characters:
    -Inkling Boy (Splatoon)
    -Inkling Girl (Splatoon)
    -King Boo
    -Dry Bones
    -Bowser Jr.
    -Gold Mario

There is new Battle Modes, these are the new modes:
    -Renegade Roundup: You try to capture and put members from one team into jail, other team must free their members and stay uncaught before time runs out.
    -Balloon Battle: Balloon-Popping survival and point earning mode.
    -Bob-omb Blast: Bomb-omb battle madness.
    -Coin Runners: Collect the most coins to win.
    -Shine Thief: Try to collect and be the one holding the Shine when the timer on it hits zero.

These are the Battle Mode stages known right now, though I think this new info dump included more? Not certain.

New Courses:
    -Urchin Underpass
    -Battle Stadium

Returning Courses:
    -GCN Luigi’s Mansion
    -SNES Battle Course 1

There's three new vehicles, two of which are Splatoon-themed.

There's a new "Smart Steering" mode for novice's, it has a few drawbacks but is made to be more accessible by newcomers.

New Amiibo costumes for the Mii.

200cc race class and now fully implemented with the game's modes (IE trial and such)

You can now break while drifting.

8-player local multiplayer, and 12-player online multiplayer.

Palette swaps for Yoshi and Shy Guy for those who bought both DLC packs on Wii U.

Videos (mostly Spanish, guess they were the first to post after the embargo)

https://www.gamereactor.es/avances/3...Kart+8+Deluxe/

More

Just finished Hyrule Castle and completed the story. My favorite game of all time, not even close. Still have 50 shrines to find (and I will complete this) and 800 Korok seeds (not a chance in hell). Have some unfound locations, side quests to finish and then I will set this one down until the DLC hits this summer. Typical of a Zelda game there is no post-final-boss gameplay. It sets you back at the boss with an asterisk by the save showing you have beaten it. You can then find all the crap you missed and the map screen shows a completion rate. I am at 29%, which is actually really good considering the Korok Seeds make up 72% of the 100% completion rating.

The music.. Any Zelda fan knows what I mean. There are just places you hate to leave because you the music is so damn good.

My Top 3

Wind Waker Fans will remember this. Dragon Roost Island Remix. There is a day and night version for each village. Just another small example of the effort put into this game.

Day

Night

From one of the Divine Beasts (It speeds up as you progress through the beast) as do all the music in the beasts. Gets the old blood pumping.

Start music

Ready for the mini boss

Hyrule Castle (Plays when you get inside certain parts of the castle)

Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
    I watched the web go nuts over this last night. If I were still 8 or had kids, I’d be interested. Since neither of those situations apply to me, I’m passing but I admire the concept.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That tech does look really cool and different, I'll say that. Got to give Nintendo credit for thinking outside the box.

Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
    That tech does look really cool and different, I'll say that. Got to give Nintendo credit for thinking outside the box.
    Pun intended?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That was a good one. Just say it was intended Chris!

Quote Originally Posted by souljahbill View Post
    I watched the web go nuts over this last night. If I were still 8 or had kids, I’d be interested. Since neither of those situations apply to me, I’m passing but I admire the concept.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Showed my kids the trailer videos... they went crazy! They're all under the age of ten though so...