Thread: Mutant Football League (Consoles, Mobile, PC)

• Facebook
  • Display

Mutant Football League (Consoles, Mobile, PC)

Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

Cinelinx: MICHAEL MENDHEIM OFFERS NEW DETAILS ON MUTANT FOOTBALL LEAGUE (EXCLUSIVE)
    In 2013, Michael Mendheim tried to bring back one of the most beloved (and wacky) sports titles from the retro era on KickStarter. While the campaign for Mutant Football League ultimately failed, the creators weren't about to give up. Now they've announced the game will be landing on the PS4 and Xbox One, and I got the chance to talk with Michael about the game's return, along with some brand new screenshots from the game. Come inside to check it all out!

The classic 16-bit game is finally making a return! One of my favorite sports titles (pretty impressive considering how much I really don't care for sports games) has always been Mutant League Football, and when the original developer of the game, Michale Mendheim, revealed a reboot of sorts, for the title on Kickstarter, I couldn't back it fast enough. Sadly, the funding never reached it's goal, but gamers shouldn't be disheartened. When we chatted with Michael on the Fathergamer Podcast he assured fans that the game would somehow still happen...now it is.

The developers recently announced that they're bringing Mutant Football League to Game Connection America next week (where it's already been nomiated in the Most Promising IP category for the Development Awards) to show off an early build of the game that will be coming to the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One consoles, as well as PCs and mobile devices.
    For many developers, once a Kickstarter fails, that's typically the END of the game. But you haven't stopped working on MFL...why is that?

Generally in life, you learn more from failing than succeeding and this was true in our case. However some good came out of the failed campaign. We hadn’t started development on the game yet so our Kickstarter campaign didn’t have a game demo, which is the norm on Kickstarter (we just showed concept art of what we were planning on making). Our focus was on mobile and not console. A lot of MFL fans had serious concerns about the art style and platforms we were contemplating building on. They didn’t like the 2D ‘retro” look of our concept art, they didn’t like the side scrolling view we were planning and a host of other things.

Once the campaign ended we took some time to lick our wounds and think about everything. While our Kickstarter did fail, we still had raised well over 100k in pledges (without a game demo) so obviously people liked the concept. My initial thinking was way too small. It was a meek plan. Why focus only on mobile? Was that the game I truly wanted to make? Is that what the fans wanted? The answer was "Hell no!" to all of the above. We all wanted a next gen version of the game, in full 3D, with spectacular gore effects and kick-ass characters. So that’s what we’re making.

Grand Prize is:
    • Your offensive play design used in the Mutant Football League™ game!
    • A mutated parody name of you as a reserve player in the game
    • A spot in the official Mutant (Fantasy) Football League
    • You will get to play with Michael and other members of the MFL team and community in a unique fantasy football experience
    • A free copy of the recently released Carnivores: Dinosaur Hunter - Reborn on Steam (PC)
    Contest ends July 17th.

So is there just a power slam move and drop elbow? It looked slow and apparently everyone just rushes to the middle with no AI to be found. Even for arcade that didn't look good.

Where are the dreads and tattoos?

How to be awesome at the new Mutant League Football:
    1) find fastest QB
    2) rollout
    3) win

Those physics and AI!

Update the rosters and I'll consider it

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    So is there just a power slam move and drop elbow? It looked slow and apparently everyone just rushes to the middle with no AI to be found. Even for arcade that didn't look good.
    It's probably worth noting that the video was "pre-alpha". It's not even close to release.

Chain gang? Windsocks? NO BUY!!!

It MUST have 36,231 different variations of sock styles and colors or they can stuff it!

Oh! And a dedicated sock creator!

What a screwed up world in which we live! We cannot have college footabll games because of Dbags like O'Bannon; we can't have quality competition in NFL gaming such as 2k because of the NFL and their control issues via licensing... BUT... BUT... we can get quality titles like Mutant Football.

When a kickstarter fails, maybe that should be a sign???

It was a sign. Their Kickstarter had some lessons to learn. I'm actually glad they didn't just throw in the towel, but they did go in a very different direction.

I just wanted to make you guys aware that it was being developed. No one's saying it's going to be the next great Montana level game

Mutant Football League is now available for $19.99 on PS4, XB1, and PC.