Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2016-17 Coaching Carousel

• Facebook
  • Display
    Quote Originally Posted by cdj View Post
    Charlie Strong officially out at Texas.
    I actually feel bad for him. He was treated like crap from day 1. Boosters walked away from the programme and taking personal shots; racism from the fans, etc. I am glad he gets to take an additional $10 from a programme that really doesn't deserve to win.

Quote Originally Posted by steelerfan View Post
    Apparently they are not legally obligated by the state to have the job listed/opened for 14 days before any hires?

I hope Charlie got his office cleaned out before Tom walked in. Sheesh.

Huntington, WV -------------Michael Guthrie
    Quote Originally Posted by jaymo76 View Post
    I actually feel bad for him. He was treated like crap from day 1. Boosters walked away from the programme and taking personal shots; racism from the fans, etc. I am glad he gets to take an additional $10 from a programme that really doesn't deserve to win.
    Yeah, that whole thing was gross and from what I hear from pretty much everyone, Strong is a super awesome guy and a really damn good coach. Lots of rumors about too many fingers in the cookie jar in Texas (mainly billionaire boosters). I'm sure Strong will land on his feet somewhere more deserving of a quality coach like it sounds like he is.

Quote Originally Posted by jaymo76 View Post
    He lost to freaking Kansas. Three straight losing seasons and two years with no bowl game cost him the job. They got worse each year. Do you honestly think that big time boosters would have let him get hired in the first place if they were, "walking away from the program?" Most Longhorn fans I know loved his hire. One booster, Red McCombs wanted Jon Gruden and bitched about it, then apologized for it a few days later. Guess who Red still wants to coach Texas? Jon Gruden.

Crying racism.
    Last edited by bdoughty; 11-26-2016 at 06:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by morsdraconis View Post
    Yeah, that whole thing was gross and from what I hear from pretty much everyone, Strong is a super awesome guy and a really damn good coach. Lots of rumors about too many fingers in the cookie jar in Texas (mainly billionaire boosters). I'm sure Strong will land on his feet somewhere more deserving of a quality coach like it sounds like he is.
    Those same boosters that had Mack Brown fired (yeah he "resigned" due to everyone in Austin wanting him gone). You know, the guy who won them a National Championship. His first three seasons were all 9 win seasons and his last three seasons were 8-5, 9-4 and 8-5 and went to three bowl games. ZOMG RACISM. Someone think of the poor old white dude that had one losing season in sixteen seasons.

I am starting to miss Ram, after these last few posts. Need a better place to discuss football, free of political correctness and white guilt.
    Last edited by bdoughty; 11-26-2016 at 06:08 PM.

Leverage to avoid heat/scrutiny or is he looking to get out before he can be fired this year or next?

Notre Dame coach Brian Kelly has reached out through representatives to explore coaching options outside Notre Dame, sources told Yahoo Sports.

Kelly just completed his seventh season as coach of the Fighting Irish, a 4-8 debacle that was the school’s second-worst record of the last 52 years. The disappointment was compounded by news Tuesday that the NCAA is vacating 21 Notre Dame victories in the 2012-13 and 2013-14 seasons for academic misconduct involving eight players.

However, sources told Yahoo Sports that Kelly’s curiosity regarding other jobs was not spurred by the NCAA sanctions and predates that development. Although Kelly has come under fire from some Notre Dame fans this year, athletic director Jack Swarbrick has consistently stated that Kelly’s job is safe.

Notre Dame sources said Saturday night that Kelly has expressed no desire to leave the school.

Kelly’s seven-year record at Notre Dame is 59-31, with a 12-1 season in 2012 and a 10-win season in 2015. He is the school’s most successful coach since Lou Holtz resigned in 1996.

Personally, I don't want to see Kelly go.

Reports that FAU has fired HC Charlie Partridge.

San Jose State fires Ron Caragher & Nevada lets Brian Polian go.

May be wrong here, but I think the FIU OC job would be better for Hawk than the UC Davis HC job.

Helfrich out at Oregon.

Kevin Wilson out at Indiana over allegations of mistreatment towards injured players.

Indiana University will announce the dismissal of football coach Kevin Wilson at a news conference at 6 this evening, according to sources in the athletic department.

Sources have confirmed to IndyStar a team meeting is scheduled for 5:15 p.m.

In six seasons, Wilson led IU to two bowl berths and four-straight wins over Purdue, a streak unmatched since 1947.

EDIT - IU stating departure was a resignation/mutual decision. DC Tom Allen is the new head coach.
    Last edited by cdj; 12-01-2016 at 05:53 PM.

May be wrong here, but I think the FIU OC job would be better for Hawk than the UC Davis HC job.
    Hawk is from California, so that may have played a part.
    Twitter: @3YardsandACloud

Quote Originally Posted by JeffHCross View Post
    Hawk is from California, so that may have played a part.
    Yep...I later read he went to UC Davis, so now the hire/spot makes a lot of sense.

Footbal Scoop reporting that Tommy Tuberville will be stepping down at Cincinnati.

Western Kentucky's Jeff Brohm leaves for Purdue. Rumored to be 6-year, $20 million deal.

Western Kentucky's Jeff Brohm leaves for Purdue. Rumored to be 6-year, $20 million deal.
    Purdue is where careers go to die.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by souljahbill View Post
    Purdue is where careers go to die.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The best they can seem to hope for is another Joe Tiller.

Baylor rumored to going after Arkansas State's Blake Anderson. (Sorry, G.)

Baylor rumored to going after Arkansas State's Blake Anderson. (Sorry, G.)
    After he himself suggested we were looking at the Cotton Bowl at the start of the season and then going 0-4 in OOC including an in-state FCS loss, fans are starting to sour on him. He's 3-11 in OOC, two of those against FCS. Not to mention, we'd get $2M for our troubles if he is hired away.

He made one, maybe two bad hires in the offseason, largely the new OC. We'd love a do-over at this point if we can get a Lincoln Riley type, though we'll be best if we can find a guy with ANY level of HC experience (Freeze & Malzahn only needed HS).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk